Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:
Betaed by DreamPainter
Field Trip

Eleven-year-old Harry Potter wrinkled his nose. "But if we're going on a field trip, where's the Magic School Bus?" he asked Hagrid in confusion.

The half-giant looked down at his tiny charge, feeling lost. "Well, the bus... that is, the Knight Bus, doesn't travel in these parts and I'd highly doubt if we could get them to take on fifteen first-years, that's for sure!"

Harry blinked. "What?"

Hagrid decided to change the subject before things got even more uncomfortable. "Now, you run along to Professor Snape, he's at the end of the platform just there." The grounds keeper leaned over, putting a hand on Harry's shoulder and pointing towards where a tall man in a dark cloak waited by the train. "There, ya see?"

Harry nodded, but held tight to Hagrid's coat. "Can't I stay with you... please?"

The man shook his head. "Sorry, Harry, but Dumbledore has some things he needs me to look after. You run along, now."

Reluctantly, little Harry Potter released his friend's coat and made his way to where Severus Snape waited impatiently.

"It is about time, Potter," the black-haired man spat out. "Get on board, we haven't much time before the train departs."

Harry looked around the platform and saw that it was now mostly deserted. He nodded and climbed on the train. Severus followed him and ushered the boy towards an empty row of seats. Harry sat down, trying to be as quiet and small as possible. He could sense that the older man was not in a good mood... maybe he was never in a good mood, Harry mused.

"Well, now that we're alone I suppose I can tell you the things you need to hear," Severus said distastefully. "Not that you'll understand them yet."

Harry felt confused. "What are you talking about?"

"Just as I suspected. Those muggles have damaged your brain, haven't they?" the man shook his head sorrowfully. "No doubt, due to all the worship and gifts they must give you. Waste of good resources."

Harry's brow furrowed as he tried to make sense of what the man was saying. "I don't know what 'e'sources are, but my brain is fine."

"Hm," Severus studied him critically. "Well, I suspect you would think so, but that doesn't matter. Dumbledore has asked me to tell you some things and that is precisely what I am going to do."

Harry sat forward in his seat at the mention of the white-bearded Headmaster.

"There is something that your Aunt and Uncle do not know about you," Severus started.

Harry nodded exuberantly. "I'm a wizard!" he exclaimed.

"Not that," Snape pinched the bridge of his nose. "Your mother -"

"Mother?" Harry said the word in awe.

" - yes, she was very special. You see, she had a certain kind of blood in her."

Harry grimaced and then his expression straightened out. "But everyone has blood inside them," he pointed out. "That's not very special."

Severus counted to ten under his breath. "No. What was special about Lily Evans was that she had fairy blood in her family... so, that means you do, also."

"Huh?" Harry didn't understand. Did this teacher mean that he was gay? "I like girls," Harry said.

"That's... lovely." Severus said, not sure why the boy had brought the subject up.

Harry realized his mistake and explained. "Dudley's friend Rusty says that 'fairies' are gay people and that gay people are guys that like guys or girls that like girls.... I'm a guy and I like girls."

"Not that kind of fairy, Harry," Severus said with a groan. "A real fairy. A supernatural creature that can control elements."

"Like Tinkerbell?" Harry asked, sticking his tongue out. "Eww! I'd rather be Peter Pan... or was he a fairy too? I'm confused!" the elven-year-old whined.

Severus shook his head. "I agree. You are confused."

Harry frowned. "So... I'm a fairy and so was my mother..." His green eyes lit up. "Did she use her wand to bring the flowers to life?" the little boy asked.

Severus reached across the distance separating them and put a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Harry, what I'm trying to tell you is that your mother - and you, for that matter - didn't need a wand to bring flowers to life. You have powers. Ones that will be very important to the future of the magical world. Do you understand?"

Harry remained silent for a long time. Finally, he nodded. "I think so," he said solemnly.

"Good. Now enjoy the rest of the field trip," Severus leaned back and closed his eyes. "There will never be another one like it."

Harry turned his gaze to the view outside the train and he was quickly distracted.

The End.