Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The One

The calming numbness and the pain in his arm made him realize that he was not in heaven yet, though he found the assumption that he might be there quite cheerful. It was a bit painful to move, so he only managed a small movement on the pillow, with a quiet groan.

"Harry?" asked a stunned voice right by him, and someone kindly stroked his face. "Are you awake?"

Harry slowly opened his eyes to find a very pale face looming over him.

"Rem… us…" he murmured.

Lupin’s pale face brightened and he tightened his hold on Harry’s hand.

"Stay put," he said quietly. When Harry tried to speak, he put his finger to the boy’s lips. "Don’t speak, save your strength. You had a very bad night, try to rest."

Harry nodded once and turned a bit to his side. Lupin helped him to tuck in the covers. Harry started to remember some unpleasant things: he had cried out in his dreams for each Order member when he’d realized there was no escape. Possibly that was why he didn’t have much of a voice. He closed his eyes again and tried to forget the shocking memories as he heard someone else enter the room.

"Remus, did you call…?" asked Tonks.

"No, but it’s good that you’re here," answered Lupin while stroking the boy’s head. "Harry just regained consciousness. We have to inform Severus."

There was a moment of silence.

"Stop joking," the witch grumbled, "he couldn’t have woken up."

Harry opened again his eyes tiredly and tried to focus on the pink blob across the room.

"I’m... awake," he croaked.

"Oh! Okay, I believe you," Tonks murmured. " Severus is at Saint Mungo’s, I think… I’ll go and floo call him. I’m sure he’ll be here soon."

"I’m sure as well," Lupin added. Harry saw the pink blob leaving, and decided to give in to his tiredness.

Remus started stroking his hair again. Harry knew it must be strange for Remus to see him awake as this was thought to be impossible. Harry had a dozen questions, but he was overcome by drowsiness and fell back asleep before he could ask any of them.

oO{~S~}Oo

When he awoke next, it was much darker, perhaps already evening, as the twinkling candlelight implied. He was lying on his side and seemed to be alone. Then he saw his usual spy on the nightstand and smiled sadly.

"Good evening, young master," said Trenus kindly. "It’s good to see you awake."

Someone walked to the bed and sat on it, beside him. Harry managed to turn onto his back, which was not easy due to his throbbing arm, and saw the usual black robe.

"How are you?" asked Snape anxiously.

Harry swallowed to make the bitter taste in his mouth disappear. "Atrocious…" Harry murmured. "What happened?"

Snape reached to the side, grabbed a rag, and wetted it.

“Besides scaring everyone, you mean?” Snape asked derisively while cautiously sponging Harry’s face. “When I went into the storage room for another tray, I heard something crash in the lab. By the time I arrived, you were already on the floor, among shattered potions bottles, and in great pain. I managed to make you drink a potion just in time, which put you into a coma, before … before something worse happened.”

Harry caught the unsaid words. It was plain that he would not have been able to regain consciousness had Snape not intervened when he had.

"But… I’m here."

"Indeed," agreed Snape, wetting the rag again. "I thought Nymphadora was joking about your condition when she fetched me. A bit later, when I arrived, I saw that you were sleeping quite peacefully, though you should have been in a coma."

Snape put the rag on the boy’s forehead.

"Something tells me I … won’t be playing quidditch for a while," Harry said as he touched his aching arm with his good hand.

"Yes," Snape agreed, still not leaving the bedside. "When you collapsed, you overturned everything that was on the table. A piece of glass cut your arm, but you were otherwise unharmed. The glass was from a quite dangerous potion, though, so your arm will be sore for awhile. In the evening, if you are not able to sleep, I will give you something for it."

Harry was fed up with being ill. "When can I get up?" he asked

Snape raised his brow. "You have a fever and aches. What do you think, Potter?" he sniped angrily.

"I feel much better," Harry interjected.

"No." The potions master got up from the bedside, but did not leave; he just crossed his arms. "There will always be someone with you, to check on you," he stated.

Harry took the rag in one hand and sat up clumsily. "I do not need a keeper!"

Snape stooped a bit and continued derisively. "That is not the reason, Potter. But you are the only one who has awoken from this. Several hundred witches and wizards remain in a coma," he informed the boy. Then his face darkened. "Someone has to be here in case… your condition worsens. To help you."

Harry forgot his nightmares for a moment. He froze when he realized that his friends were still in the hospital, in a coma. Snape must have sensed it because he tried to distract Harry.

"I’m going downstairs to get something to eat. I’ll bring you up something as well. You need to regain your strength," he stated with finality. "Stay put and rest."

Before Harry could argue, Snape left the room. Harry lay back tiredly, putting the rag into the basin of water.

"Is there a problem, young master?" Trenus asked.

Harry had totally forgotten that the candle was even there.

"No, nothing," he said quietly, but then he blurted out: "Trenus… is Professor Snape always like this? I mean… first it seems like he likes me, then he starts to mock me like…" Harry swallowed. It was difficult to utter the words. "Like he still hates me."

The room was silent for awhile.

"You know, young master, my master is an enigmatic man," said the candle, "but I can assure you that he likes you a lot."

Harry chuckled softly, but the jostling made his arm hurt, so he stopped.

" Snape liking me a lot… sounds quite morbid."

"No. It is not," Trenus stated. "You have not known him as long as I. He has suffered a lot these past years, and it finally seems that there is someone he cares for. And that someone is you. Both of you are full of pain and lonely… and this is a situation where you need each other. You need support, which as far as I know you did not receive until now, as you did not have parents, and my master… he never had a family either, though he would have liked one. Now here’s an opportunity for both of you not to be lonely anymore."

Harry clumsily straightened the blanket and closed his eyes. The candle was right again, as always. That was very annoying. It never occurred to Harry that there could be a man who could care about him like a real father. There was Remus… but Remus could not fill the role because he was a werewolf, and he was hardly around anyway.

"You know what, Trenus," Harry murmured, "I think I’ll sleep a bit."

"Good, young master. I’ll stay to guard you."

Perhaps now he could sleep and have some good dreams, where a mean potions master would not play an important role, but a totally different man … one who cared for him and wouldn’t let him come to harm.

oO{~S~}Oo

"Professor?" asked Harry drowsily when he awoke and felt that he was not alone.

"No, it’s Remus," came the answer. Remus clasped his hand, while Harry opened his eyes and looked up at the smiling man.

"Don’t ask how I am," Harry stated promptly when Lupin was about to say something, "’cause I’m really well."

Remus released Harry’s hand and sat back in the chair.

"Fine, I won’t ask," he said with a smile.

As Harry considered him more closely, he saw how pale and worn out the man looked, even though they were past the full moon.

"I brought something for you to eat."

Remus motioned toward the nightstand where Harry could see, even without his glasses, how full the tray was with food. Harry slowly sat up, and Lupin handed him his glasses.

Harry adjusted the blanket and Remus put the tray in his lap. As Harry looked at the food, his appetite vanished.

"You have to eat it even if it looks strange," Lupin said, smiling, as he sat back. "That is a direct order from Severus. You have to eat to get your strength back."

Harry picked up a piece of lettuce. It was only one of the many disgusting green things on the tray. "I’m not a goat," he grouched, then became a bit happier when he found some toast beneath the vegetables.

Lupin laughed, but Harry was not amused.

"I see you find this funny," Harry snapped.

Lupin sat forward a bit and propped his hands on his knees.

"No, not at all," he said apologetically. His voice changed as he continued: "You just don’t know how glad I am that you are awake." Then his voice became very quiet. "I didn’t think you’d wake up… until we had the serum."

Harry’s eyes fell. "I’m sorry."

"No problem," Lupin said kindly as he took something from the nightstand. "This is for you. I thought I’d bring something delicious to counteract this… dinner."

Harry took the steaming mug with relish. "Thanks, Remus," he gushed as he recognized the hot cocoa.

"I see you are quite well now," Lupin stated, looking at him with narrowed eyes. "Some hours ago you had a fever. Severus also told us that you looked very ill. He made you drink some tea and gave you some potion. I think it really helped."

"I’m definitely hungry now," said Harry, mouth still full. Consuming the last of the toast, he added, "and I don't feel sick at all."

When he finished eating, leaving some vegetables on the tray, he looked at the man with a questioning glance. "Where is professor Snape?" he finally blurted. One half of him wanted Snape here, the other half of him was glad to have only the company of Lupin.

Lupin took the tray from him and put it on the nightstand. "I don’t really know. He’s been commuting between St. Mungo’s and the lab here," he said finally. "I think they’ve realized that there is a connection between you and the disease."

Remus raised his hand to stall Harry from interrupting. "No, I don’t know anything, before you even ask. Severus only disclosed that he and Hippocrates are closer to the solution. He said he’ll visit you when he returns later this evening."

"Fine," Harry mumbled, and straightened the pillows behind his back. But he did not want to lay back down. Even more, he did not want to spend any more time in bed. "Please tell me I can get up, Remus!" He looked at the man beseechingly, but Lupin wore a resolute expression.

"You can’t get up," he said strictly. "Even if you look healthy, you are not yet." Lupin stood up and covered him, while Harry looked on angrily.

"Do you have any idea how much time I spent in the infirmary during my Hogwarts years?" Harry asked angrily.

"Well then, I think you’ll manage a few more days. I have to go now; I have some things to arrange," Lupin declared as he took the tray. "Please, Harry, get some rest." Remus gave him another warm smile then left the room.

As Harry watched him go, he realized that Trenus was not in the room. Harry waited while Lupin’s steps faded, then got up to find his clothes.

He didn’t have to search long. He found his trunk in the nearest corner. He took his warmest sweater and trousers, then donned his ragged sneakers. He opened the door silently and peeped out; no one was in sight.

He couldn’t have been left alone. Snape said there would always be someone with him. It was quite late though; maybe everyone was already asleep.

He snuck into the corridor, then to the staircase, and then started down the stairs.

"What are you doing?!?" cried a familiar voice.

Harry nonchalantly passed the floating candle as he proceeded down the stairs. "I’m going down to the dining room, what do you think?" asked Harry insolently.

In the meantime, Trenus had caught him up and was floating just in front of him.

"You cannot just get up!" he exclaimed. "It’s not allowed. You are still sick!"

"Shhh!" Harry whispered, putting his finger to his lips. "Be quiet! You’ll wake up the whole house!"

"At least then someone will take you back to bed," countered the candle.

Harry sighed resignedly. "Trenus… calm down. If you come with me to the kitchen, you can guard me there, can’t you?" he asked. "I won’t do anything wrong, just get the books from the lab and try to make myself useful while Snape is out."

Trenus seemed to be thinking this over; at least he’d ceased shouting. "Fine" he agreed. "But you cannot stay long, as you have to get some sleep."

Trenus floated to the kitchen and stopped at the end of the table. Harry went to the lab quietly and brought the tomes back to the kitchen in one hand. He had to return once more as he also needed parchment.

He sat down and opened the book he’d previously perused to continue his work where he’d left off. But the marker was somewhere else now. One page was marked with a large piece of parchment that was covered in ink.

"I remind you, young master, that if I see that you don’t feel well or are sleepy, I’ll call for help," Trenus said, then continued to himself, "when my master arrives, that’s it… I didn’t want to spend my last years in a crappy museum, but Severus will surely arrange for it now…"

Harry looked at him angrily. "Trenus! Please grumble less. I’m trying to read here." It was an exaggeration, of course. The parchment was illegible. Someone knew their Latin, obviously, to be able to write two pages of it fluently. As Harry was about to set the parchment aside, he noticed some notes which he could actually read. He raised it closer to his eyes to interpret the fussy script:

Something, due to which not everyone became ill …

Something that caused the virus to not fully affect them.

Maybe a compound… or some small ingredient.

The only connection which all have… the magical power …

The only explanation for who became ill when.

Harry frowned at the parchment for awhile longer as he thought over what he’d read. He did not understand what was written. Both Hermione and Ron were strong wizards. True, children tended to become ill sooner, but there were some adults as well …

He put the script back in the book and turned to a page where there were no notes and began reading.

Maybe an hour had elapsed when he heard someone struggling with the lock, probably in an effort to enter as quietly as possible. Then there was silence for awhile. When Harry finally looked up from the book, he found Snape, covered in a bit of snow, with a thunderous expression on his face.

"Which part of ‘stay in bed’ was not comprehensible to you?” Snape asked angrily while brushing snow off his coat. Pulling it off,  he placed it over the back of a chair.

Harry glared back. "I told Trenus that if there were any problems that he should call for help, so don’t be …"

"Potter!" Snape thundered and Harry dropped the book, loosing his place in the process. "When will you finally comprehend that even if you’re fine, you need to rest?"

"I think I spent enough time in bed," Harry said while trying to find his place in the book.

Trenus chose that moment to interrupt. "I did everything I could, master, but the boy was adamant," he apologized.

One look from Snape shut him up.

"Christmas is coming and there are a lot of nice vendors. I met a very kind collector of antiquities," Snape growled.

A moment later, Trenus seemed to have gulped, though Harry could have sworn that was not something a candle could do. Snape, in the meantime, sat down in front of him. He clasped his hands together and looked at Harry searchingly.

"I’m fine, really!" Harry repeated. Trenus stayed quiet.

"You say that now, but you could be wrong," Snape declared. "How often have you said you were fine when that was not the case? Hmm? Quite often, I think."

Harry threw down his quill impatiently. "What makes you think that?" he asked indignantly. "That never happened!"

"That’s what you say."

"Leave it," Harry mumbled and rubbed his eyes tiredly under his glasses. "I think I really should go to sleep now… I’m quite tired from deciphering all of these technical terms and everything."

The potions master went to the stove to pour some tea for himself. He returned but did not sit down.

"You will get up, collect your things, and go up to bed, now," he stated grimly, and then drank some tea. He picked his coat up from the chair and went to hang in on the coat rack while Harry angrily packed up the books on the table.

"I knew when you came," he said loudly, "that the first thing you’d do was start firing off commands at me." Suddenly he froze, his heart jumping in fright.

Snape returned with his mug. "What’s the problem, Potter?"

Harry looked with frightened eyes at his teacher, who realized in a minute why Harry was so afraid. He quickly went to the boy and crouched down before him to check his trembling hands.

"Sir, this does not mean that I’ll become sick again, does it?" asked Harry in a quavering voice, while Snape took both of the boy’s shaking hands in his.

"How long have they been trembling?"

Harry gulped and felt his whole body start to tremble, just like last time.

"I don’t know," he faltered. "I was just writing, and there was no problem... Oh my god, the hallucinations will start soon."

Snape released Harry’s hands and took him firmly by the shoulders. "Harry, calm down."

"That’s easy for you to say!" Harry exclaimed, panic setting in.

Snape touched the boy’s forehead and was shocked. "When I arrived you seemed totally healthy, and now you are very pale and running a fever," he said, deep in thought. "I don’t understand it. Lupin said you had a healthy appetite and you felt well."

Harry put his trembling hands in his lap, while his professor took a vial from his robe.

"I don’t want it!" Harry argued. "I won’t drink it again! It will go away… I had no problem just before and as you said, I was hungry and all…"

"It will be necessary if things escalate," Snape told him coldly, while pulling Harry’s lower eyelid down to check him thoroughly. "At the moment, you are only showing the initial symptoms, nothing more serious… but the fever is alarming."

"Alarming?" asked Harry frightened. "It is also alarming that I am ill in a totally different way than the others!"

Snape didn’t seem to hear him.

"When you awoke, you felt awful. But later, when I arrived, you’d slept," he mused. Harry waited with his lips pressed tight. "And you were well at dinner, but not now."

"Remus told me," said Harry finally, trying to suppress the quiver in his voice, "that you made me drink something, while I was half asleep."

The potions master was still contemplating him. "Yes, that’s true … What did Lupin give you for dinner?" Snape asked suddenly.

Harry remembered all of the disgusting provisions, but said only: "The vegetables you wanted me to eat and … cocoa."

"Cocoa," Snape repeated, like this was the first time he’d ever heard of the drink. "And tell me, what did you eat before you became ill?"

Oops. "Uhh… you won’t kill me if I tell you the truth?" asked Harry quietly.

"It depends. So?"

"I learned the charm from you and I… banished everything you brought me to eat and drink," he finally blurted.

Snape, in the meantime, cast a drying charm on his thick coat and put it on Harry, who gladly pulled it around himself.

"Professor, what does it mean?"

"It means… Potter," drawled Snape, looking him in the eyes, "that you were able to avoid becoming ill because you ate or drank something that acted as a preventative. Once you started skipping meals, you fell prey to the disease."

Harry puckered his brows in thought.

"I ate something different for dinner every night, either pasta or potatoes …"

"Merlin!" Snape cursed. "It all adds up! There is something, which together with someone’s magical power, defines how ill they will become..."

 "I always ate something different," said Harry slowly, "but I always drank the same … oh no."

Harry looked at Snape, feeling like a lamp had been switched on in his head. They both looked at the mug on the table.

"The tea,” Snape breathed. “I received it from Hagrid some months ago and brought it here so that the Order members could drink it."

Chapter End Notes:
Beta's note: Sorry for keeping you waiting. I'm a new beta for this translation which I forgot to realize after Chapter 7. :) But now I try to put everything back on track.

Thank you for your reviews, based on this as of this chapter our team has a new member, chrmisha checks this story as well, and we would also like to thank for this great effort./ Windelitte

Next Chapter: Teardrop Petal
Comments very welcome,
Lilyanjudyth