Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Teardrop petals

Harry gathered his coat more tightly around himself to stop the shivering, but it was no use.

"A quirk of fate  that the solution was before us the whole time and we did not realise it," Snape mumbled, then he stood up. He went back to the stove and poured another cup of tea for Harry. When he returned, he gave it to the boy.

"I don’t think I have to prod you now to drink it," Snape mocked as he crouched before Harry.

Harry took the mug in both hands, but still it might have spilled if Snape hadn’t helped him steady it. He drank as much as possible. Stopping when the mug was half-full, he looked questioningly at the professor. "The tea is the solution?" he asked. "If everyone drinks it, they’ll recover?"

Snape sighed resignedly. "No, Potter," he said, going into lecture mode. "It does not work like that. The tea is the solution, but not directly. It contains something that helped you to heal today." He stood up suddenly. "But now it is important that you return to your room and rest while I consult Hippocrates."

Harry stood up to demonstrate his strength, but immediately grabbed the edge of the table so as not to fall down.

"I received this tea from Hagrid, like you!" he said, determined. "So we have to go to him as soon as possible, and ask where…" Snape started to spin, together with the room, and the table suddenly seemed unable to support him.

"Would the sky fall down if you stayed put for once?" asked Snape reproachfully, and took Harry’s arm so that he would not fall.

Harry saw strange stars that were followed by bright circles. Snape helped him out of the kitchen and assisted him up to his room. Snape cautiously put the boy on the bed and covered him with a blanket. Harry blinked up at the black figure when Snape removed his glasses. "What will you do now?" Harry asked.

"First, I’ll ascertain that you will stay put. Then I’ll inform Hippocrates about the developments, and tomorrow we’ll visit Hagrid, and Albus as well." Snape summoned the mug from the kitchen non-verbally. "It would be good if you drank the rest."

"I don’t think… I could manage it," Harry mumbled as his eyes slid shut. He had a feeling that he heard the voices, like the first time.

Snape persisted. He sat on the bed, helped the boy into a sitting position with one hand, and held the mug with the other. "You have to, Harry."

Harry could have sworn that if Snape had called him Potter, he would not have drunk it… but this was different. Harry took the mug in his trembling hands and slowly drank the rest. By the time he finished, he felt nauseous from the taste.

Snape took the mug and helped him to lie back.

"You don’t have to wait until I fall asleep," said Harry in a trembling voice. "I’m okay… go and do what you need to do."

A sigh then the billowing of robes. "Fine, I’m going."

This sounded much more reserved, as if Snape had reverted back to his usual demeanor; unlike before when it seemed as if he cared about Harry. But the warm feeling had disappeared as the potions master closed the door. Harry did not even check to see if Trenus was there, but decided to sleep so that when he awoke next, he would feel better.

oO{~S~}Oo

Harry awoke quite well-rested, rubbing his eyes as he sat up in bed. At first, he thought he was alone in the room, but then he glimpsed Snape, bending over a dozen parchments, several vials before him. Snape did not look when he greeted Harry with a terse "good morning."

Harry looked at the window, where the sun was shining strongly, despite being winter. He picked his glasses up from the nightstand.

"Merlin," he groaned. "How long did I sleep?" The sun was high in the sky; presumably it was already around noon.

"I don’t know… maybe fourteen or sixteen hours," answered Snape as he recapped the inkwell. "My hand must have slipped when I added the sleeping draught to your mug."

Harry looked daggers at Snape  while the man packed up.

The potions master got up tiredly from the chair and went to check Harry more closely. "But I see that it has benefited you," he announced with a mocking smile.

"Next time, a warning would be nice," Harry grumbled and got up to look for his clothes. He found everything in the wardrobe as his trunk was empty. "At least tell me what happened while I was asleep. Is everyone okay now…?"

"Potter," started Snape in his usual teaching style, "the night was only long enough to try to identify the ingredient, which might stop the virus. And you might not believe it, but we also need to rest sometime."

Harry found a pair of warm socks after digging through the bottom drawer. He went back to the bed, sat, and donned them. "And now?" he asked, after finishing.

"We’ll visit Hagrid," Snape told him, totally surprising Harry.

oO{~S~}Oo

"Can’t we just use the floo?" fretted Harry while winding the warm scarf around his neck. As soon as Snape closed the door, the house disappeared. "I’ve never apparated, and I don’t think it’s good to try it while I’m so tired…"

"You won’t have any problems apparating with me, regardless of your exhaustion," he drawled and beckoned. Harry stood there, not moving. The potions master sighed. "I swear I’ve had breakfast. I’m not even sure you would be enough food for one meal."

Harry stood still for a few seconds longer and then went to the man.

"You are still ill," continued Snape. "Only the particular ingredient in the tea prevents you from feeling the full effects of the illness."

"I know it sounds unbelievable but even the ignorant Potter realised this," Harry groused as Snape came closer and put an arm around him. Harry would have jumped away but he knew it would be improper. And even though it sounded incredible he did not want to insult Snape. He did not want to shatter the fragile truce that had developed between them.

"Oh how surprising," Snape smirked. "Close your eyes and hold on firmly. The first assisted apparition is not pleasant, but after some practice it should be bearable."

Harry grimaced and closed his eyes. At first, he felt as though he were spinning in a washing machine and then his stomach felt as though it was being pulled through a slim pipe. When they landed, he felt slightly dizzy and nauseous; it hadn’t been so bad after all.

Snape did not let him go but went straight to the gates of Hogwarts, pulling Harry along by the arm. The empty courtyard without the students was quite a fright. The only living being to be seen was the squid swimming in the lake.

As they walked through the desolate park, snow began to fall, reminding them of the coming Christmas. They reached Hagrid’s hut which looked gaunt in comparison to the exuberant pumpkin patch. They stopped at the door and Snape knocked on it. Fang started to bark and soon the door was opened.

Hagrid appeared in his frayed sweater and looked surprised. "Professor Snape, Harry," he finally said. "Welcome!"

Harry started to go in but Snape held him back.

"I’m sorry, Hagrid, but we are here on an important matter," Snape apologised. "We need to ask you something and I very much hope that you can give us the answer."

Hagrid pushed Fang back inside the hut and propped himself against the door frame. "Of course, professor. I’d be happy to help! What kind of ingredients do you need, I’ll bring them…"

"No, it’s not that," Snape interrupted. Harry tried to pull his arm free without success. "I’m just curious, which ingredients did you use to make the tea you gave me?"

Hagrid blinked incomprehensibly, clearly wondering how tea could be so important in the midst of everything else. "Oh, well… I used several of the herbs I have here in my hut."

Snape mused thoughtfully for a moment. "I know which herbs you have," he said finally. "I’d like to know what else you put in the tea, besides the herbs. I assume that you used other ingredients than those we were aware of… but that were in your tea nonetheless, which I brought to Order headquarters as many members do not like coffee."

"Uh," the half-giant mused and stroked his beard. "I think I know what else I put in it. One of the centaurs told me that it would make the tea more effective."

Harry could not stay quiet any longer. "Hagrid, where do we find this strange plant or whatever?"

Snape quelled all other words from Harry with a dangerous look.

"As a matter of fact," ruminated the half-giant as he motioned behind the hut with his large hand, "if you follow that path, after awhile you’ll come to a small clearing. There are these small, strange flowers in a beautiful cerulean colour. I was surprised to find them blossoming in this cold weather…"

"Thanks, Hagrid," Snape said. "Come to headquarters this evening, there will be a meeting. Albus should be there as well."

"Hm, of course," Hagrid assented. "Would you like a cup of tea?"

Both of them looked wearily at the half-giant who just shrugged.

"Bye, Hagrid," Harry said. "Next time I’ll stay longer!"

Snape nodded and they started down the path Hagrid had showed them. Harry heard Hagrid as he tried to hush Fang without success. Snape and Harry advanced on the path in silence for a couple of minutes.

"Professor," started Harry quietly, "when we find the plant, how long will it take to finalise the serum?"

The potions master furrowed his brows and seemed to contemplate the question.

"I don’t know," he said finally. "We’ll start today, so it might be ready by tomorrow. Do not forget that it has to be tested on someone."

Harry stopped, and Snape had to as well.

"I’m here, you can test it on me!"

He received the typical Snape-scowl. "Potter, you are not a guinea pig," he stated, and when Harry opened his mouth to argue, Snape continued, "No. I won’t allow it."

Harry just sighed and let himself be led into the clearing. This whole thing was so strange, he thought. Wasn’t that the whole point? To test the serum on him?

By the time they arrived, the whole forest was blanketed in white and the wind had started to blow. Harry tightened the scarf around his neck as the cold breeze blew snow in his face.

"I think we are here," Harry said. "It started to snow just at the right time… so we won’t be able to find anything."

"We just have to look harder," Snape started but then stopped when he saw something not far from them. He walked with slow, measured steps toward a rock. Harry followed and saw the man crouching, then plucking something and studying it. Then Snape stood up and turned to Harry, the petals which Hagrid had talked about in his hand.

The wind flourished the small blue petals which seemed very bright in contrast to the pale, white ground.

Harry took them from Snape cautiously, so as not to harm them. He looked at them in admiration. "They’re beautiful," he finally said.

Snape raised his brows appreciatively. "They are both beautiful and brilliant."

"Yes," Harry agreed and looked up at Snape with a sad smile. "Everything will go back to normal now, won’t it? My friends will recover and you’ll be… surly again."

The potions master caught Harry’s hand, trapping the flower petal as well. "I don’t think that’s quite true," he informed Harry. "Nothing will be the same. I won’t terrorise you in Potions class anymore. What do you think, Harry? I got to know the real you. I put aside the hate I felt. When I think about it, I realise how alone you are."

"That is not entirely true," Harry interjected quietly.

Snape’s long black cloak flapped as he came closer. "Yes, it is. You did not have parents to rely on. There was no adult whom cared for you," he continued unfailingly. Then he smiled and untrapped the flower in the boy’s hand. "Would you like to name it?"

Harry smiled as well.

"May I?"

Snape nodded and Harry laughed. "I don’t think I can give it an appropriate name. I’m afraid, like my potions, it would also be inadequate…"

"Try," Snape insisted, letting go of Harry’s hand. "After all, you showed me the solution. You have to be acknowledged so you should name this small flower at least."

Harry twirled the flower while the wind flourished its blue petals. The petals looked so specific … and then suddenly a name occurred to him. "They look like… teardrops," he said quietly. "I mean the petals… Can we call it, for example, teardrop petals?"

The potions master smiled. "Quite an apt name. Of course we can. Let’s collect some more as one will not be enough to prepare the serum."

Harry looked again at the small flower and then they started to search for it on the snow-covered ground. It took almost an hour to collect the necessary amount. By the time they had finished, it was snowing heavily and becoming colder.

Harry looked into the distance. Along with the cold weather, something else arrived as well… a new era with some measure of hope and joy.

oO{~S~}Oo

They arrived at Grimmauld Place in the evening. By then, Harry felt he needed another mug of tea. He’d almost collapsed coming through the door when they’d finally arrived. He propped himself against the wall, exhausted, and inhaled deeply.

Snape finished the sealing charms on the door and took off his cloak. He did not look so frightening any more.

"You don’t feel well?" he asked, standing before Harry, who shook his head. "Come, I’ll prepare some more tea."

Harry followed his teacher into the kitchen. Snape put down the bunch of flowers and started to prepare the tea. Harry collapsed into the nearest chair and took off his coat and scarf. He put his elbows on the table and his chin in his hands but that was not comfortable enough, so he put his head on his arms. He was already half asleep when Snape floo-call St. Mungo’s; that was the last thing Harry heard before he fell asleep."

He awoke to someone shaking him discreetly. Harry looked up sleepily.

"Wake up, Harry," Hippocrates said quietly. He gave Harry a steaming mug which Harry took muzzily. "Drink all of it, it’ll help."

"Thanks." Harry drank the hot tea in small gulps while the man sat and observed his every move. "How is the serum coming along?" asked Harry as it was quite maddening that the man was just sitting there smiling at him.

"Quite good," he answered readily as he leaned forward. "Severus is working on it at the moment. He hurried off as soon as I arrived. He told me to make you drink the tea and then to escort you upstairs."

Harry put down the empty mug and looked at the healer wearily. "All I do is drink tea and sleep," he grumbled.

Hippocrates laughed quietly and got up to help Harry to his feet. "I warn you, Harry, you’re complaining to the worst possible person."

Harry accepted the helping hand and the man hoisted him up cautiously. Harry was standing a bit uncertainly. He sadly stated that he was trembling again and felt very tired. "Well, at least you understand how bad it is to be ill" Harry stated as they left the kitchen. "Couldn’t we go to the lab instead? I’d like to be there when Professor Snape succeeds."

"Harry, you should be in bed."

Harry looked at the man beseechingly. "Please," he begged. "I swear I’ll sit down and be a good boy."

"Fine," Hippocrates capitulated and they headed towards the lab. "But you have to bear the consequences when Severus sees you."

Suddenly a dozen detentions occurred to him as he imagined Snape roaring at him for being such an idiot. "I don’t think there will be a problem, I feel well."

The man muttered in a low, glum voice before opening the door: "Yes, but you don’t want to see when Severus… is not exactly himself."

Harry wanted to ask what the man meant but the door opened and the healer ushered him inside.

Snape stood behind a desk before a big cauldron. He looked up curiously as they came in and continued to stir while frowning. "I see, Potter, you can’t stay still."

Hippocrates escorted Harry to the armchair and gave him a blanket which the boy gladly accepted. Then Hippocrates went to Snape. "Oh, Harry will be still, don’t worry. Let’s discuss how it’s going."

"We’ll know in a couple of hours," Snape stated and ladled the potion to show Hippocrates. "As you can see, it’s not making it easy for us to retrieve what we need."

Harry took the pillow from the other armchair, put it under his head, and closed his eyes. He felt content to let the adults work while he stayed put in a place where he could sleep in peace. It felt wrong to be upstairs alone… where Snape was not with him. Though it sounded unbelievable, he felt better when his teacher was near. He felt safe. He could not say the same about the headmaster.

Remembering the headmaster, he thought that the Order meeting should be taking place about now. Then his thoughts scattered and he remembered his friends who would be waking up soon. He yawned and fell asleep.

Maybe the nice healer had also tricked him and poured some sleeping draught into his tea.

oO{~S~}Oo

"Wake up, dear."

Harry snapped up at the strange voice and looked into a familiar smiling face.

"Mrs. Weasley?" he asked while sitting up.

There were a lot of people in the lab and he heard a dozen familiar voices from hallway: Order members, a lot of people who had not been around lately.

It seemed he had missed something. Something? Everything … He hadn’t seen Mrs. Weasley for a long time; he had thought that she’d been ill as well. Now here they all were, smiling …

How strange that this was what he had wished for all along and now that he had it, it no longer suited him. It was better being alone with Snape and the discursive candle.

"Are you coming to St. Mungo’s with this?" asked Molly.

"Uh, yes …" Harry’s heart rate sped up when he realised why they were going there. "Now?"

Mrs. Weasley smiled while folding the blanket. "Of course, dear. But first drink this," she said, handing him a small vial.

Harry took the potion which was a spectacular blue colour. He looked up and saw Snape watching him from the table.

"This is the…?"

"Yes, it is. That’s why we are going to the hospital. The meeting concluded and we brought the serum there," said Mrs. Weasley beaming.

Harry uncorked the small vial and drank it in one go. The potion was absolutely without taste and had no aftertaste. Snape came over and stopped beside him to take the empty vial then headed across the room.

"Come on, Harry, let’s go," Mrs. Weasley entreated.

"Of course …" Harry mumbled and for some reason he was both happy and sad that they were leaving. He slowly got to his feet while she gave him his coat. Snape didn’t say a word, just watched him from afar as he dressed.

"We’ll go via floo. Arthur is waiting for us," Mrs. Weasley said hastily and beckoned him.

Snape’s look was different. He seemed to be keeping his distance so that Harry could not ask him any questions. And Harry had a lot of questions… starting with why, in contrast to some adults who were in St Mungo’s, Snape himself were not so ill.

He wanted Snape to say something at least, to tell him that they would meet again later… but no. Snape just stood there wordlessly as Hippocrates gabbled to him about fame and engaged him in a deep conversation.

Mrs. Weasley did not seem to notice or care that he would have preferred to stay a little longer; she shepherded him to the door in an effort to leave the lab as soon as possible.

Harry furtively looked back, but Snape ignored him. And that hurt a lot. It hurt that he wouldn’t see Snape anymore, just maybe in class after the term started. It hurt that Snape wouldn’t tease him any more … and it hurt that Snape wouldn’t comfort and care for him in the future.

Snape told him that he did not hate him and that he cared for him while he felt ill … but he wouldn’t be ill any more. He wouldn’t need Snape to find the serum so Snape wouldn’t be with him.

For the first time, Harry felt a twinge of disappointment that he was cured. He could only be half-heartedly glad that his friends would be awake soon.

Because if they woke up, he’d lose someone again.

Chapter End Notes:
Next Chapter: Order of life
Comments very welcome,
Lilyanjudyth