Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I'm doing this all for fun. and to try my hand at writing.
Chapter 4: Tonks and Migrianes

With a slight bounce in his step, Harry made his way to his room to grab his art supplies. His head still throbbed but it seems to have subsided for now. He made his way back downstairs and decided to head in the kitchen today. He had decided on what to make for the twins and Tonks and wanted to use the acrylic paints he had. Oil paint would take too long to dry and the watercolor paints while a good medium, would take a while to get the shades and textures he wanted in. So he settled for acrylic paints. And for that, he would need constant clean water to clean his brushes.

Harry reentered the kitchen and was surprised that Snape was still there. He certainly didn't expect him to stay in the kitchen. Harry shrugged. What Snape did on his own time was his business. Snape didn't look up as Harry passed him and sat on the other end of the table. Placing his load down, Harry turned to the closed French windows and went to draw the covers back gently to let some light stream in. The light was muted by the shades and shadows of the Blackthorn and White willow trees so it didn't hurt Harry's head.

Satisfied, Harry took some old newspaper and spread them on the table. Next, he tore out two pages suitable for acrylic paint from the second book which held a selection of various types of paper and pinned one of them down so everything would be even when he painted. He decided to do Tonks' picture first. Since she was an Auror and an Order member, Harry wasn't sure how often he would see her except maybe on her day off. He decided to go with animals for both of them, Tonks and the twins.

It was amazing to Harry how quickly he picked up all the details of the animals that were in the book. Sooner than he would have thought, Harry became familiar with the basic anatomy shapes of most of the animals in the book including the magical creatures. He was able to move on to human anatomy shortly after and was impressed himself with how quickly it became easy for him to draw them. The book that came with the kit gave a few more tips of human and animal structure along with hair and clothing.

For Tonks, Harry decided to draw a small cheetah cub with its head tilted to the side resting on its paws with its tail swishing gently in the background lying in an African plain. The twins, Harry reasoned he could work on later as well as they stayed in the same house at Hogwarts and he would see them. But he had in mind to draw two fox kits playing in a grassy field. It fit the twins' mischievous and sly natures.

Selecting some brushes, Harry picked out his colors for painting and began. He started out by lightly sketching his outline and then began painting. He started with a light purple background giving it a sunset look before adding a sap green with a hint of ochre yellow at the horizon line. He had finished with the basic background and was cleaning his brushes when he realized he was alone. Snape had left at some point. Shrugging, Harry went back to his painting. He had just finished painting the cheetah's body when he heard the door open.

Looking up, he saw Snape entering with a pile of papers. He set them down and began scribbling across the parchments. Looking at the clock, Harry was surprised it showed that it was eleven. Looking back at the painting, Harry was pleased with his progress. He had been working on it since nine in the morning. The background was completed; he had painted most of the details of the cheetah cub. All that was left were some of the finer details such as adding the grass and giving a bit more fur to the cub and adding a few more details on the eyes and body. That would have to wait as he needed the paint to dry before he did that otherwise the colors wouldn't turn out right.

Cleaning his brushes, Harry put them back in the kit box along with his paints and put them off to the side. He carefully shifted his drying painting with the newspaper underneath to a small table by the counter. Straightening up, Harry rubbed his temples with his hand and then raked his hair back. His headache while subsided a while ago seemed to be coming back with a force if the throbbing was anything to go by. His stomach grumbling, Harry turned his attention to his stomach. He was hungry.

Looking in the icebox, Harry tried to find anything edible. There was some chicken breast, beef, lamb, turkey among a few other selections. Looking into the pantry, Harry came across some bread, lentils, rice, cheese, pasta and vegetables and fruits and spices. Deciding a stew would do with some French bread he found, Harry thought it would be a hearty meal. Harry was about to gather the ingredients when he paused. He's not the only one here.

Making his way out, he spotted Snape with his head still bent over the papers. "Sir?" he questioned softly, his voice carrying across the room.

"Mmm?" Snape questioned, not wanting to lose his train of thought.

"Is stew and bread alright for lunch?" Harry questioned softly not wanting to disturb the man more than necessary.

Snape didn't reply. He continued to scribble in red ink across the parchment. He finally stopped writing and picked up his parchment examining what he wrote before he turned to Harry.

"That would be fine." He said softly. "I'll make some in a while Potter, I need to finish this."

"I can do it." Harry said. Snape turned back to Harry from his parchment and looked at him intently. Harry squirmed. He really hated it when Snape did that. "It's not a problem. Really. It won't take that long." Harry tried to explain.

Snape started at Harry for a long moment. He gave Harry his assent with a nod of his head and turned back to his papers. Harry released as sigh of relief and went to get the ingredients. He tied his hair back with a leather strap and started to chop the vegetables and chicken while he heated the chicken broth.

Methodically, Harry chopped and sliced his ingredients and took out a frying pan. He sautéed some onions and then some chicken and potatoes stirring constantly. He was so engrossed in his task; he failed to notice the black eyes that looked up every few minutes to see what he was doing.

Harry had just added some garlic, thyme and sage to the stew and covered it to cook while he turned around to get the bread from the pantry and cut it up in slices. He turned around to see the table was already set and placed the bread on a plate. Checking on the stew, Harry was satisfied as it was almost done. The vegetables were all cooked and the meat was tender. Taking it off the stove, Harry poured the stew in a dish and placed it on the table. Snape had put his papers away and was watching him void of any emotion.

‘Does he have to do that?' Harry inwardly grumbled. It was annoying to feel like you were under a microscope twenty-four seven.

Seating himself down, Harry waited until Snape had served himself before he started his own meal. The meal passed in a strangely comfortable silence. Harry savoured the hearty stew and dipped some of the crusty bread to go with the meal. It was heaven. He hadn't cooked anything for a while but he enjoyed doing it when he wasn't pressured into making everything like at the Dursley's. ‘Not that I ever got to eat much with the two fat lugs around.' He thought glumly. He'd be lucky if he got a few bare scraps of their meal when they were done.

"Where did you learn to cook?" Snape asked suddenly.

Harry jumped in his seat. Looking up, he saw Snape raise an eyebrow and seem amused at his reaction and flushed. Shifting away from his embarrassment, Harry cleared his throat. "My Aunt." He said brusquely.

"When?" he asked in a monotone voice though he seemed slightly curious.

"It's just something I've helped her with for a while." Harry said gathering the crumbs in his plate so he wouldn't have to look at Snape. He didn't want to really answer that question since he'd been cooking for his relatives since he was five. He didn't need Snape to mock him for that.

Snape didn't say anything else after. Harry was confused by the small talk but brushed it off. Clearing the dishes away, Harry tidied up the kitchen. He set his paints and picture back up and they paint was now dry and decided to work on complete the painting for the rest of the afternoon.

Snape disappeared shortly after Harry tidied up and Harry heard him head upstairs. ‘He's probably making some potions,' Harry thought and focused on his painting. He used a pointed round brush to add the detail on the fur and the plains. He used a detail brush for the stray grass and eyes along with a few of the cheetah's spots. He finished the painting off by using a little titanium white making it a light gray and a dry bristle brush for soft clouds. Using a golden tan mix of color, Harry signed the picture with the initial of his first name.

Harry cleaned up his workspace and tools placing everything back before he discarded the newspapers. Taking his painting, Harry went upstairs with it first so he could place it on his desk to dry with the breeze from the slightly open window. He retrieved his kit and books and placed them in his trunk. He'd work on the twins' picture tomorrow. He had enough for today. Looking at the time, it was already four in the afternoon.

Deciding to write a letter to Ron and Hermione, Harry sent it off with Hedwig. That done, Harry headed to the library deciding to pick a book. That soon turned fruitless as many of the books were on Pureblood supremacy and other topics that were clearly dark in nature.

Dinner passed the same as yesterday but less oppressive. Snape cleared dishes and Harry was startled to see his Professor do something so...ordinary. It was a little disconcerting.

Harry kept to his room afterwards and started a light outline for the twins' picture. He stopped when his migraine came back. Feeling like his head was going to split; Harry slipped into bed and went out like a light.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next three days passed similar to the second day. Harry and Snape didn't talk much though they had an occasional conversation on small things. But they seemed to have reached a sort of truce. Snape didn't give any mean and cold comments and Harry kept his temper and tried not to get on his bad side. They both however reached an unspoken understanding to try and stay away from conflicts. The atmosphere during mealtimes was quite comfortable now though occasionally there would be a little awkwardness for Harry which caused Snape quite a bit of amusement at his expense. Kreacher stayed out of both their ways which Harry was glad for as the house-elf gave him the shivers.

Harry had started the painting for the twins though it was taking him longer than Tonks. Mainly because there were two fox kits instead of one so there was more detail to be added. Harry decided to have the fox picture similar to the cheetah's with a few key differences; the foxes would be in an open hillside with the morning sky in the background and the beginnings of the woods in the distance.

Harry had completed the background and the woods and just had the foxes to paint before he could add the final details. Tonks had dropped by a day before to see Harry. Harry was thrilled with the visit. Tonks was an easy person to talk to and very open and funny. They spent the day getting to know one another better. Aside from being an Auror and clumsy, Harry learned Tonks was very good at Transfiguration and Defense. He learned she came from a mixed heritage. Her father Ted Tonks was a muggleborn wizard while her mother Andromeda came from the Black family and was a pureblood. Her mother was the sister of Bellatrix Lestrange and Narcissa Malfoy. Harry was surprised to hear that. He knew of both people. Bellatrix Lestrange Harry had heard of last year from Dumbledore.

She was the one responsible for the torture of the Longbottoms, Neville's parents and the reason he lived with his grandmother since his parents couldn't even recognize their own son. Harry alone knew this aside from the teachers at Hogwarts. Tonks' mother apparently bore a close resemblance to Bellatrix but Tonks said their personalities couldn't be more different. "The difference is as plain as black and white according to Mum. She really hates all the pureblood rubbish the Blacks are always spreading." She said keenly.

Narcissa Malfoy Harry had only seen in passing but he knew her to be the mother of Draco Malfoy, his rival at school. Narcissa Malfoy was a woman of pale skin and platinum blonde hair and cold blue eyes. Draco Malfoy had inherited features from both of his parents though he strongly resembled his father Lucius Malfoy.

Tonks, having a foot in both worlds, wizard and muggle alike, had many interests that Harry found he had in common with her. Tonks enjoyed playing billiards and though Harry had never had a chance to play, he always liked the game having seen how it was played on the telly one time when he was little. She could drive a car which she said she rarely did as it was easier to simply apparate.

They discussed some books that interested both of them. Harry liked fiction novels as did Tonks and both had discussed some of their favourite authors. Dell, King, Tolkien. Tonks even recommended a few for Harry. He planned to buy some books to read leisurely for himself before he went back to school. He added that mentally to his list of things to get before school started which included jeans, trousers, jumpers, shirt sleeves, dress shirts, a winter coat and shoes and gloves along with some muggle stationary supplies and notebooks. He remembered using some during primary school and it helped him to study better when he could colour code his notes. Many of the books he read as a child was from the school and public library as that was the one place Dudley would never willingly venture him. He never could take a book home as he feared Dudley would ruin it so he read what he could in the library.

Tonks and Harry found both liked Quidditch though Tonks preferred to watch rather than play. Tonks discussed a few of the places she had been to as a child for vacation that she liked.

"What about you Harry?" Tonks asked. "Where have you gone for vacation?"

"I haven't really ever been aboard for vacation. The furthest I've gone anywhere ever is Scotland and that's to Hogwarts." Harry answered softly.

"What about your relatives?" Tonks asked curiously.

Hearing a rustle from the corner, Harry nearly jumped seeing Snape. He almost forgot he was there. Snape was able to make himself as unnoticeable as a shadow when he wanted too. When Tonks had showed up, Snape had muttered about something along the lines of a "walking catastrophe" and "two left-feet hazard" with the need to "make a bloody nuisance" and "overactive imagination" and stayed put in the same room as Tonks and Harry. Tonks wasn't even put off by Snape's snarky manner and in fact even smiled and greeted him like she would everyone else with her "Wotcher, Professor!" and proceeded to start talking to Harry and even included Snape in occasionally when he decided to join the conversation though it was usually accompanied by a death glare that would make hell freeze.

Harry had been able to steer the conversation away from his relatives so he didn't have to talk much about them but he wasn't sure how to answer this question without giving something away. And Snape was listening too which was another reason Harry was careful in what he said. He didn't want Snape to be able to use anything that could mock or humiliate him. It didn't look like it but Harry was sure that Snape was listening to every word Tonks and he spoke. In the end, Harry decided to go with a bit of the truth but not the whole truth.

"They've been aboard." Harry began. "They went to Morocco a few years ago during Christmas, though I was at Hogwarts at the time."

"You didn't go with them?" she questioned.

"I wanted to spend the holiday with my friends. And it was my first Christmas at Hogwarts. They didn't mind." Harry said

Tonks wanted to question Harry more about that. It was obvious to her that Harry wasn't being completely honest about something. His voice while calm, his body language told something completely different. His muscles were tense and his hands were clenched tightly and were turning slightly white from lack of blood pressure. Looking out of the corner of her eye, she knew the Potions Professor knew that as well since he was giving Harry a meaningful look, like he was trying to solve something that didn't make sense to him.

Despite most people's opinion, Tonks didn't share their view on the harsh Professor. She knew he was not a pleasant man most of the time and was quite strict and severe. He could be cruel no doubt about that. But he was a man of honour and duty and gave his loyalty to few which was something most people missed. Potions were while a fascinating subject was also quite dangerous. Many ingredients that are used in potions alone or together can cause any number of problems if not handled correctly. Porcupine quills alone are quite harmless unless you cut yourself on them. In Potions however, adding them too early before they're needed in a Boil Cure Potion could form a vaporous gas that could cause breathing problems or adding them too late could cause a caustic reaction. She would know considering how clumsy she could be and the disasters she caused.

Tonks was certain that was why the man was so hard on his students in class. Being too lax would lead to a potential death. She didn't know what Snape did for the Order but there was no denying he was a force to reckon with. His skills and knowledge were irrefutable in spells and potions and there was no denying he was an extremely determined man who was always on guard and never missed a thing. And could blend in anywhere if he so chose.

That was probably why he was charged with being Harry's protector though she had to admit she was worried a tiny bit given what she had heard of their history. She was more than pleasantly surprised when she dropped by earlier this morning and saw both were still alive. No blood, no missing limbs. Harry was delighted to see her if his smile was anything to go by. Snape never was a very social person so his reaction was expected though him staying in the same room as them shouldn't have had her taken aback as he was quite cautious and observant of everything. His determination to see through his task was another reason she respected the man. His being a Slytherin could matter less to her. As far as she was concerned, it was your actions that defined you as a person not your house. Besides, there was nothing wrong with being ambitious or cunning or resourceful. Quite useful skills to have as long as they were not used for the wrong things. That could of course be the Hufflepuff in her talking.

"Where would you go for vacation then?" Tonks asked shifting the topic. She'd try and ask about Harry's relatives later. If she asked anything further, he would likely clam up as he would expect it. She noticed Harry relaxing and the tension sweeping out of him. She made a note to look into the matter and could see Snape having similar thoughts as his eyes sharpened as he took in Harry's reaction too though his face was pokerfaced as ever. She tucked her hair, shoulder length and sapphire blue today behind her ear and tugged the hem of her long sleeve tan shirt down. She wore black jeans and combat boots to complete the outfit as well as a black leather vest.

Harry mulled over his thoughts. "I'm not sure actually." He said hesitantly. "I think I'd like to go somewhere near the sea. Either that or a place where I could see the mountains. I always liked those kinds of places." He smiled.

Tonks smiled as well. She could see that. Harry seemed to be the kind of boy who would like to be near nature or the outdoors. Snape had gone back to his book looking uninterested but she knew that was an act. He was taking in every detail that went on, just very subtly.

The rest of the day passed similarly. Lunch wasn't as awkward an affair as the earlier days. Tonks anecdotes more than made up for any lack of conversation between Harry and Snape. Harry put in a few questions and comments here and there but otherwise was content to simply let Tonks talk. Tonks tried to get Snape involved as well but all that resulted in was a deadpan expression and possibly twitch of the eye.

The very same afternoon, Tonks coerced Harry to play a few rounds of cards before she left for the evening.

"I've got an early shift tomorrow, so I'm going to need to tuck in early tonight or I'll be too tired to begin tomorrow." She said

"Hang on a minute," Harry said. He hurried upstairs and grabbed the cheetah picture he made for Tonks. Not having anything to wrap it in, Harry hoped it would suffice the way it was and she wouldn't mind.

"Here," he said handing the picture to her. "Sorry it's not wrapped." He apologized, looking sheepish.

"That's alright Harry." Tonks smiled taking the picture from him. Her eyes widened in surprise which turned to delight as she beamed at Harry. Suddenly, he was grabbed in a bone-crushing hug with his vision obscured by blue hair which suddenly turned bubblegum pink as she squealed in glee.

"Harry, this is BRILLANT!" she said jubilantly, "I didn't think you would be done this early, that's why I didn't ask," still not letting go of him.

Harry blushed at Tonks elation. She finally let him go only to whoop in delight again. "It's sooo cute! This is incredible. How did you know I liked cheetahs?" she asked still jumping in joy.

"I didn't." Harry said embarrassed raking his fingers through his hair and chewing his lip but at the same time pleased. "I wasn't really sure what you liked so I went with the first thing that came to mind. Hope it's not too much."

"Too much? Harry, this is perfect!" Tonks was beaming. She loved the little cheetah cub. The amount of detail that Harry went into was simply amazing.

"There had better be a good reason as to why you've turned into a banshee Ms. Tonks," a silkily cold voice stated from the doorway.

Both Harry and Tonks turned to find Snape standing with his arms crossed over his chest and an annoyed look on his face. Snape had left them alone sometime after lunch saying he needed to get the infirmary stock of potions up to date. Personally, Harry thought he had enough of company and needed a break before he would resort to hexing the first living thing that crossed his path.

Tonks wasn't the least bit put off by Snape expression. If anything, she didn't even notice it. Or if she did, she chose to ignore it.

"Sorry if I bothered you Professor, Harry was just giving me the painting I requested of him." Tonks said with a smile.

Harry felt Snape's eyes bore on him, the Potions Master didn't give away any of his surprise if he was surprised at all.

Harry didn't think Snape knew he was painting. When he was present in the kitchen when he started, Snape had his entire attention focused on his own work. It was possible he supposed that he noticed but didn't say anything. ‘Chances are he did notice, otherwise he wouldn't be a very good spy.' Harry thought.

"Painting? Potter?" Snape asked dryly.

‘Then again, maybe he simply didn't bother more than he had too' Harry thought feeling annoyed.

"Yup," Tonks said cheerfully showing him the painting but unwilling to release it from her grasp.

Snape raised a cool eyebrow looking at it but otherwise said nothing. Turning back to Harry, "Harry, next time I need some new pictures decorating my wall, you're the first one I'm calling."

Harry felt if his face got any redder, he'd blend in well in a tomato patch. Snape seemed amused if the glint in his eye was anything to go by.

"Have you ever thought of doing this for a career?" Tonks asked curiously.

"Huh?" Harry asked surprised. "A career? I've never really thought of it." He said slowly "Besides, I'm not that good."

"Nonsense," Tonks argued "This is a great piece of work Harry. I'm sure if you choose to make a living of this, you'd be great at it." Tonks said sincerely.

Harry felt his face flush again. ‘This is really getting ridiculous. Get a grip Harry.' He scolded himself mentally.

Tonks headed out the door but not before giving Harry another hug and a promise to keep in touch even when school started and to keep up the good work.

A chuckle sounded behind him when Tonks left. Harry turned bug-eyed to Snape who seemed couldn't hold his amusement in further.

"So it takes a girl hugging you to get you to resemble your famous colours." He snorted. "I'll have to remember that next time I'm bored. It should prove quite entertaining to the staff."

"Oh shut up." Harry grumbled and headed up the stairs. The last thing he heard was Snape's roar of laughter at his expense before he shut the bedroom door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The morning after Tonks visit on the fourth day, Harry woke up in a world of pain. He'd been up late last night finishing the twins painting. He had a slight headache before going to sleep which didn't seem to have helped much however if this current pain was anything to go by.

The slightest movement caused Harry to ache. His head felt like it was splitting in two and the noise of chirping birds was making it worse. He knew without a doubt that he had a migraine, a bad one. Forcing himself, Harry got out of bed and made his way to the bathroom, his stomach becoming more nauseous with every step. He made it just in time before he lost the remnants of his dinner last night. After a few moments of dry heaving, Harry slowly got up.

His head felt like it was being trampled by a herd of hippogriffs. Splashing his face with cold water, Harry slowly made his way out, leaning heavily against the wall. Nothing for it, he was going to have to get help from Snape. The dizziness was starting to become more prominent. Harry hoped Snape was in his room, he didn't think he was up to searching the entire house for him. Raising a hand, he knocked firmly on Snape's door three times. He flinched at the sound and leaned more on the doorframe.

He was about to go back to his own room when he finally heard footsteps. Snape opened the door looking tired at being woken at five in the morning but that changed when he took in Harry's appearance.

Before Harry could say anything, the nausea came back with greater force. Harry clapped his hand to his mouth to try and stall the bile but was unable to and lost the rest of last night's dinner. His head hurt worse with each passing minute and he would have collapsed to the floor if it wasn't for the strong hands clasped on his shoulders holding him up.

"Sorry," Harry coughed, "Mi...Migraine," he rasped out with difficulty, his head pounding.

Snape slipped his wand and cast a cleaning charm on Harry and the surrounding area while still supporting Harry with one hand. "Lean on me." Without waiting for a response, Snape threw Harry's arm over his shoulder and helped him back to his room.

With a flick of his wand, Snape transfigured Harry's pyjamas into a clean pair and helped him in bed.

"When did this begin?" Snape asked in a soft voice, pushing Harry down on the bed while conjuring a basin and a glass of water.

Harry sank back in the pillow, relieved his head could float. Struggling to keep his eyes open, Harry replied "Woke up like this." He rasped out quietly. "Threw up then too," he mumbled.

He heard Snape move to the restroom and came back a moment later with a damp towel and placed it on his head. He sighed at the relief of the cool cloth. It helped a little. All Harry wanted to do though was sleep and never wake up.

Looking at Potter, Snape knew it was going to be a long day. He was troubled with the severity of Potter's migraine though his expression didn't betray that. He knew migraines could be quite painful at times. And Potter seemed to have gotten a severe one from the looks of it, he mulled over manoeuvring Potter to uncurl himself and settle a bit more comfortably. His hands were already showing signs of being cold, a side-effect of migraines along with his feet. Tucking him in, ‘So he doesn't freeze,' he argued with himself, not because he cares; Snape tucked the blanket under Harry's feet to keep him warm and tucked the comforter around him.

"Have you had any attacks like this before?" Snape asked briskly in a calm manner while keeping his voice at a soft baritone level so as not to aggravate Potter's condition. He needed to know so he could determine whether he needed to make a Headache Relief Potion or a Migraine Relief Elixir. Both were for headaches however depending on the severity and frequency, the Headache Relief might not always work therefore the Migraine Elixir may be required.

"Not this bad," Potter said quietly wincing a little and tried to sink himself further into the mattress. So, he'd had migraine attacks before, Snape mused. He'd have to make sure he made enough of the Elixir for further medication as it seems to be recurring for Potter.

Knowing how agonizing migraines could be, Snape shut the curtains to give Potter a dark room. Light would only intensify the pain and make Potter more violently ill then before. He needed to get started on the potion however the potion couldn't be given on an empty stomach.

A rustle broke him out of his thoughts and he turned to spot Potter's owl perched on the headboard of Potter's bed. She looked down on him before turning her amber eyes to Snape.

She observed this human, the Dark Man. He was a strong one, Hedwig mused. Strong and powerful. There was a dangerous aura around him but she could feel something in the depth of his soul. She narrowed her eyes in consideration before she realized what she saw. He was like her Harry. A kind soul, gentle, when he was allowed to be but hurt too much to be open. But he was different from her Harry too. Her Harry was shy and insecure though he tried to hide it. This one however was confident and wise. He was the one who tried to always protect her Harry though she never could get her boy to see that until he saw it himself recently.

Hedwig hooted her approval and nodded at the Dark Man. He protected her Harry and was a healer. He was the one who would help her boy. And her boy needed him even if he didn't know it himself. Hedwig hooted again and nodded at the Dark Man and then at the door. ‘Go,' She hooted at him, ‘I'll watch my boy until you come back'

Snape was unnerved when the owl began to regard him. There was something about her that Snape felt was different from the other owls. As if she was searching him heart for any darkness. He reinforced his Occlumency shields and hid his unease. The owl perched on top of the bedpost, as if she were Potter's guardian protecting him, watching over him. She hooted in approval seeming to find what he was looking for.

Snape remained unmoved as she hadn't moved her gaze from him. He remained still even when she suddenly took flight and landed on his shoulder. Only when she settled down and began to preen his hair and nibble on his ear did he allow himself to marginally relax. He raised a gentle hand to stroke her breast. She hooted in pleasure before nipping his ear in, dare he say, an affectionate manner. She hooted at him again and shook her head to Potter, then him and the door.

"You will watch over Potter?" he inquired quietly, determining if he read her signals right. She gave a soft hoot in approval and confirmation in response. ‘I'm losing my mind. Talking to an owl like a human being to watch over the Boy-Who-Lived-to-Drive-Me-To-Drink. I've been around Potter too long.' He growled internally. The owl, Heather, was her name? nipped his ear one last time before she moved back to her post and watched over Potter.

"Potter," Snape spoke barely above a whisper, leaning down so Harry could hear him. "Try to stay awake a while longer. The potion will take me half an hour to brew but it cannot be taken on an empty stomach. Can you attempt to eat something while I make the potion in that time?"

Harry opened his eyes to slits to peer at his Professor in acknowledgement and gave a weak nod.

Snape moved to the kitchen and heated some of the leftover stew and got a slice of dry toast before making his way back to Potter's room. Seeing him in the same position he left, Snape helped Harry sit up, propping him against a few pillows and set the tray in front of him.

"Eat what you can and leave the rest aside if you cannot," Snape said quietly, not unkindly. "I will return in half hour's time with your potion." Harry gave a slight nod and began to slowly eat. Satisfied, Snape turned from the room and headed to the lab. He had a few batches to make as Potter would need the elixir quite a bit given that a migraine could last anywhere from four to seventy-two hours and needed to be taken every four to six hours depending on the severity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry ate painstakingly slow as every bite he ate made his nausea return with a greater force. Every time he felt close to throwing up, he stopped and tried to take a few deep breaths. His migraine was getting worse. Whereas it began on one side, it now shifted to another and became a throbbing pain in his right temple. He hoped Snape came back with the potion soon; his head was going to kill him if he didn't take something for it soon.

Unable to eat more than a quarter of his breakfast, Harry set the tray aside on the table and shifted down the covers, closing his eyes. A sharp pain had Harry clutching his head and curling into himself. He whimpered as the pain as it increased in intensity. A few tears leaked out of his tightly shut eyes.

He didn't hear the door open and he didn't know someone had entered the room until he felt a hand on his back rubbing soothing circles. He startled and whipped his head but groaned at the action as it worsened his migraine. He opened his eyes slowly and saw a black blur above him.

"Drink Potter," Snape said in a low voice putting a vial to his lips. Harry drank without question, too far gone in pain to question anything. The potion tasted horrible but he felt the effects immediately as his migraine lessened considerably.

"Thanks," Harry murmured closing his eyes and resting back on the bed.

"Get some sleep Potter," Snape said pulling the covers over Harry. Harry mumbled incoherently before he fell asleep a minute later. His last thought before sleep claimed him was how soothingly nice and warm he was under the covers and he couldn't remember anyone doing that for him before. 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Next in Perseverance:

A potion master's thoughts on events. R&R :)