Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the delay. Life grabbed a hold and I wasn't able to work on anything until recently. Hope you all enjoy. :)

Disclaimer: I don't own anything.
Chapter 5: A Potions Master's Reflections

Snape observed Potter. The now long hair was ruffled from the tossing and turning he was doing when he came in. The grimace that dominated his face at the pain lessened considerably when he took the potion, his green eyes no longer as dull with pain before he gave in to the sleeping qualities the potion induced. Sleeping as he was now, he looked innocent. Childlike even. ‘Looks can be deceiving,' he thought to himself crossly though it lacked his usual bite. He conjured a plush black leather armchair and sat down, leaning back and his wand across his lap while the forefinger of his left hand tapped lightly against his thin lips. A habit for when he was deep in thought.

He released a sigh. While it was granted he despised teaching dunderheads especially when they didn't pay attention to the subject, he didn't hate teaching. And he did care about his students. He just hated the idiotic and in Potter's case life-threatening stunts they pulled.

Potter was one of the biggest sources of aggravation for Snape. From the first day the boy entered Hogwarts, he got into more trouble and life or death situations than anyone. The incident with the troll had him wishing he could bang someone's skull. His own or Potter's or someone else he wasn't sure. The stupid boy and his cohorts going after a fully grown mountain troll. The sheer stupidity of the action boggled his mind. The boy had a death wish or would drive someone around him to have one.  The debacle with the Philosopher's Stone and Quirrell was enough to make him want to hurl Potter by the ear and given him a sounding lecture for his stupidity. He had the situation under control before he came and threw everything into chaos.

Coming into school on a flying car nearly gave him a heart attack. The boy could have gotten killed. Or become paralyzed. He didn't have a license, didn't know the first thing about driving a car. Worse, he was seen. Though he did get a sense of righteousness when he found Potter and his miscreant sidekick. By all rights they should have been expelled that night but no Dumbledore had to throw the rules out for the Boy-Who-Lived yet again giving him more reason to think the rules didn't apply to him.

The Chamber of Secrets fiasco was an even bigger folly for the daft boy. Fighting a fully grown Basilisk! A Basilisk! A sixty-foot serpent that where the expression ‘Looks can kill' is justly defined and accurate. Dumbledore told him about what happened in the Chamber and he still couldn't believe how calmly the Headmaster took the situation. Basilisk venom was notoriously poisonous. A single drop of their venom could kill a fully grown man in less than five minutes. Potter was lucky that Fawkes was there and could get him out or he'd have been dead.

The debacle in Potter's third year with Black however made Snape seethe with fury. He had a score to settle with Black. The mongrel in the true essence of the word made his life at school completely and utterly hell. Snivellus, how he hated that loathsome name. Potter Senior and Black dubbed that name for him the first time they crossed wands and life was hell at Hogwarts since. He wanted to catch Black, to get some revenge at the scumbag for all he had done to him. But Potter interfered there as well. What's more, the brat and his cohorts had the nerve to stun him! He; who tried to protect them from a mad murderer and a loose werewolf. What did he get in return? A pounding headache, several bruises as well as the loss of an Order of Merlin.

The Triwizard Tournament last year however gave even Snape the chills. When Potter's name came out of the Goblet of Fire, Snape was certain at first that it was a prank by Potter. As the tournament continued, Snape began to doubt the validity of Potter's name being put in as a prank. His Dark Mark which had faded since The Dark Lord's first downfall had begun to darken. For the first time in a very long time, Snape was afraid. He remembered the days when the Dark Lord was around the first time and he still had nightmares about it to this day. When Potter disappeared from the maze in the third task, his mark burned with a vengeance. The Dark Lord had returned.

He knew he would be called on soon. His return to duty was not something he was looking forward to but he would do it regardless. It was the only useful thing he could do, to atone for the sins of his past. When Potter returned clutching the Diggory boy's dead body, he truly for the first time sympathized with the boy. To see a class fellow die before your eyes was a cruel traumatic experience. Potter himself was bloodied and covered in cuts and bruises, his limbs trembling. Just from a glance, he could see that Potter had been subjected to the Cruciatus Curse having been under the same Unforgivable himself in his years of service. Potter was numb with shock. He was surprised the boy lasted as long as he did especially considering that less than fifteen minutes later, the imposter Moody tried to take his life.

Fudge, the blundering fool didn't help matters with his cowardice. Even after Potter gave names of Death Eaters who were undoubtedly there and Snape himself showed his own proof of the Dark Lord's return, he refused to believe a word of it. Dumbledore expected it but nonetheless it was a problem to be dealt with later when possible. Working with Black however made Severus' skin crawl.

Snape felt a change come over him that night in regards to Potter. He still found the boy got on his nerves. He still thought he was foolhardy. He was a reckless, rash, impulsive idiot. But he didn't hate him. At least not as much as he did before. Denying it however didn't seem to work for him, especially when Dumbledore assigned him the task of being his baby-sitter.

He was surprised at Potter's behaviour in the time of his stay in Black's ancestral home. The boy was still defiant. ‘And he most certainly was angry' Snape contemplated evenly remembering Potter's angry shouts the first night from the landing above. He was also quite surprised at the boy's appearance when he first laid eyes on him since the school year ended. When Potter came in, Snape barely noticed it. He knew he was there but didn't pay much attention to it. When Potter seated himself next to him and for once greeted him with civility, to say he was surprised would be an understatement. He registered who was sitting next to him before he registered Potter's tone. He had opened his mouth to say a scathing comment when he fully saw Potter.

Only years of control of his emotions kept him from fully giving himself away though he was certain he wasn't entirely successful. Potter was...different. The first things he registered was his worn appearance. The boy looked tired. And he seemed paler than he remembered. His hair had grown out and looking at him like that, Potter looked profoundly different. His usual messy mop of hair seemed to have tamed down, looking straighter like Lily's. What stood out the most were his eyes. His green eyes which normally were a vibrant green like emeralds were dull. Involuntarily, Snape was drawn into Potter's mind. He felt Potter's emotions that were closest to the surface.  Many emotions were swirling behind those depths the most dominant of them being anger, pain, confusion and...hurt. He was drawn in further. There were flashes of him staring out the window, as if searching for something. Then came some vague flashes of memory going too quick for him to observe much. He did however feel Potter's emotional state and it was filled with nothing but agony. He tried searching for the cause of it but could not seem to find the source. The best way to describe it was that there was a web that seemed to prevented entrance surrounded by fog. As if there was more than one origin for the pain. It confused Snape and inwardly he began to wonder what had happened to the boy.

As abruptly as he was in Potter's mind, he was just as abruptly out. He was puzzled but what he saw and felt but kept that well hidden. He looked again at Potter and saw that he was beginning to look uncomfortable. No surprise seeing as he hadn't responded to his greeting. Looking at him now, Potter looked confused and very much like a child. He responded after he gained some semblance of himself though he didn't know what to make of the confusing knowledge. Potter had no idea what had occurred. Snape kept to himself during dinner, trying to make sense of everything. He was still alert and aware of the mutt starting to talk to the boy.

He noticed that the boy was surprisingly good at controlling his emotions. Though he was surprised at the boy's restraint. He clearly had questions especially after being isolated for so long but he seemed to mull over everything before he spoke. ‘A first for a Potter,' he thought cynically but lacking his usual bite. He was surprised at how well he took everything. At least until the discussion about his ‘protection', though ‘house arrest' would be more appropriate. He watched as the news was delivered to Potter who paled at hearing it. There was something strange about his reaction. Granted he expected that teenage boys did not like being locked in but there was something more to Potter's expression. He seemed shocked at first but being an observant man, Snape saw the fear that entered his eyes momentarily before defeat followed quickly with anger.

The argument with Black didn't hide the vulnerability in his eyes though one would have to look to see it as he hid it well enough. This was why he intervened and told Potter to come back in the morning so that he would have the night to absorb that piece of news before anything else. And as much as he abhorred Black, his chasing after his Godson was the last thing Potter needed, another reason why he riled the dog up though he had vindictive satisfaction seeing him get chewed out by the Weasley matriarch.

The morning after though led to unexpected surprises. The boy's change in his Hearing was unwarranted and as Weasley stated, "a violation." He had been in Grimmauld Place because he was originally going to be one of Potter's watchers among a select few others. When the boy entered the kitchen at 6:00 in the morning, the first thing Snape noticed was how pale his face was. Potter's face was drawn and pinched; there were dark circles under his eyes as if he didn't sleep much.

The rushed question of how to get to the Ministry sent alarm bells in Severus' head. When the Weasley patriarch read the letter that had been tightly clenched in Potter's hands moments earlier, he himself was surprised at the livid anger visible of the usually passive man. The Ministry was filled with incompetent fools but even this went beyond their usual operations. There was no denying the fear that was emanating from Potter as he and Weasley left for the Hearing. The boy was terrified. More than that, he seemed to be on the verge of a panic attack.

He saw that as they were leaving Potter was incredibly insecure and searching for any reassurance. For reasons he still was unable to phantom, when the boy's eyes met his, he couldn't help but give Potter a nod of encouragement. He seemed so...small. He looked nothing like his fifteen years but looked like a lost boy who didn't know what to do or who to turn to. He saw the surprise when he acknowledged him and the gratitude that followed even when he had a bewildered expression on his face.

The talk with Dumbledore when he informed him of the changes shortly after however had left him gritting his teeth.

Heading to the parlour, Snape made his way to the fireplace. Throwing in some floo powder, he called out, "Hogwarts, Headmaster's Office."

Putting his head in, he was met with the sight of the Headmaster's office with all the trinkets but no Headmaster.

"Albus," he called out.

A door to the right of him opened and the Headmaster was striding through wearing a purple dressing gown. He kneeled down in front of the fireplace so he was at eye-level with the Potions Master.

"Severus?" he questioned inquiringly. His blue eyes sharp and alert, absent of their customary twinkle. He seemed to have woken up some time ago and was preparing for the day when the Severus called.

"Potter received a missive from the Ministry this morning. His Hearing date has been changed to today and commences in two hours." Snape said tersely.

The change in the Headmaster was enormous. The blue eyes while serious a moment ago were now a blaze of blue inferno. His wizened face hardened and his calm benevolent expression became that of an enraged general. A powerful enraged general. Snape was for a moment afraid of his friend and mentor though he knew the anger was not directed at him.

"Fudge is truly his abusing his power too much." Albus said tightly, his tone losing all gentleness. The harsh look faded for a moment as he looked at Severus. "Forgive me Severus. My anger is not directed at you."

"I am aware." Snape said reverently though he was certain the Headmaster knew that he was scared momentarily even if his voice was even.

"I will be in Grimmauld Place within moments Severus. Wait for me. I'll step through." Albus said getting up and heading to his bedroom. With a nod, Snape pulled back and stood from the fireplace and waited for the Headmaster to step through. Within five minutes, the fireplace roared again and Dumbledore stepped through dressed in midnight blue robes with silver stars, his wand at ready, his blue cloak billowing behind him.

In step, they together made their way to the kitchen, where they could hear loud voices of the occupants within. They stopped once they saw Dumbledore enter. He raised a hand to forestall anyone speaking, namely Black, who looked ready to have a seizure.

"Severus has informed to the change in the situation. I will be heading to the Ministry myself momentarily. However, I have decided in a change of plans."

Questions were fired and Dumbledore once again raised his hand to continue speaking.

"Molly," he turned to the Mrs. Weasley, "I don't think I need to say this but perhaps you and your family should stay back another day."

"Of course you don't have to say it." Molly spoke incensed, insulted that Albus would think she and her family were going to leave at a time like this. They weren't leaving until they heard the news from Harry himself. If she had her way, Harry would be coming with her family but even she could only bend Dumbledore so far.

Dumbledore nodded with a small twinkle before turning to the rest of the room. "I am aware that I said there would be shifts on who would watch and check in with Harry." He spoke calmly. "However, I do believe that it may cause too much of a hassle and draw unnecessary attention on our watchers. Therefore," he said turning to Snape, "I would like you Severus to be Harry's guardian until September 1st."

"WHAT?" Snape and Sirius cried outraged.

"Albus, you can't possible-"Sirius sputtered incensed.

"Headmaster, I must protest-"Snape argued at the same time.

"Silence!" Dumbledore thundered. More gently, Dumbledore continued turning to Sirius first. "I asked you before Sirius to put aside your differences with Severus. Please do not make me ask again." Turning to Snape, "Severus, I have my reasons for wanting you to be the one looking after Harry. Will you do this?"

"Are you seriously asking me this Headmaster? The boy loathes me and it most certainly is mutual." Snape said derisively. "No good will come of this if that is what you're hoping for. The boy's nothing but a troublemaker."

"Like you're a bloody saint Snape." Sirius said bitterly. "He's my Godson Albus. Why can't I be the one to look after him?"

"You know why Harry cannot stay with you Sirius." Dumbledore said calmly. "Severus, I need your answer." His eyes met Snape, piercing him. Snape glared right back, his eyes hard as stone.

"As if I can refuse," Snape spat out, barely civil. Dumbledore had many fool and crazy ideas before, this one was the most insane he had come up with to date. Arguing would get him nowhere with the old man. ‘Stubborn old coot,' he thought spitefully.

"Good." Dumbledore said placidly. "I will take my leave now. Severus, I will return to speak with you later tomorrow. Around midnight." Without further ado, he left with another word.

Snape was fuming at Dumbledore's underhanded tactics of putting him in such a position. He had to endure Black threatening him if he hurt his precious godson and his hand kept twitching to hex the mutt to oblivion. The only thing that stopped him was the fact Molly Weasley tore into him and threatened to the unmentionable to him if he didn't control his mouth and start treating Severus with respect and act his age. Not that he needed anyone to defend him. He was more than capable of handling his own problems and holding his own in a fight.

He was nauseated at the reception when Potter returned declaring he got off. Of course he got off. He was Harry bloody Potter, Boy-Who-Lived-to-have-his-own-way. He did notice with some deliberation that Black, for all his exuberance did not seem all that happy for his godson. If anything, he seemed disappointed with the outcome. He wondered ideally if Potter noticed.

The discussion afterward left a sour taste in Snape's mouth. Black explained to Potter the reason he was going to be isolated and who had the esteemed honour of watching his hide. Snape still fumed at being given the task by the headmaster. Not that there was much he or Black could do about it. He wasn't planning on saying more than necessary. But his blood boiled when Black started hurling insults especially, that name.

Snivellus, Snape glowered. He despised that name. Potter Senior and his cohorts had given him that name unwillingly back in his first year. He had been minding his own business with Lily, trying to cheer her up when Potter and Black entered their compartment and began making fun having overheard their conversation. Lily had no tolerance for their immaturity and grabbed Severus by the hand and left together to find another compartment. Potter and Black's parting remarks had given him that repulsive nickname.

Lily. It still hurt sometimes to think of Lily. She had been everything to him. The only light in the hell that had been his life even as a child. If it hadn't been for her, he was certain he would have died when he was younger. Whether by his father's hand or his own, he wasn't sure.

When Black called him that name again, even after nearly twenty years, it still brought with the same loathsome, hurt, and hate it did when he was a student. In a way it was a good thing that Lupin diffused the situation when he did because he was ready to use the Cutting Curse on Black. Or an Unforgivable.

He had noticed absently while he was trying to gain back his iron control that Potter had seemed alarmed at the situation. Or rather, the brat was alarmed at his Godfather as he was staring at the mutt as if he'd never seen him before. He turned his expression into a blank mask but Snape had already caught the look the boy gave his godfather. It was a mixture of unease and dare he say it, fear and unease. He caught the brat giving him a concerned look before he masked it. But it was enough for Severus to wonder.

He may have been furious at Black and at himself for losing control but he was still aware of his surroundings. Potter looked as if he wanted to say something before he thought better of it. A good thing as even if the concern was genuine he would have most likely snapped at the boy.

The day after had been not been as horrible as Severus thought it might have been. Potter had despite his usual attitude listened to the rules that Snape had laid down. ‘For all the good it did,' he thought annoyed remembering back to when lunch time came around and Potter failed to show up at the appointed time. He relinquished waiting for the boy and ate his meal, wanting to enjoy it while it was hot. He began to worry after fifteen minutes passed by and was actually worried that something had happened to the boy. He searched all over the confounded place for him and finally found the brat in the library bent over some book.

Snape had been relieved when he found the boy intact and well. And just as quickly, he grew furious at the little monster for disobeying his rules with no regard. He grabbed Potter and was surprised at the reaction he received though he didn't show it. The boy was startled clearly but there was more to it than that. He looked...terrified, Snape deliberated recalling the memory. The expression on Potter's face, Snape reflected going over the memory was disconcerting. He looked as if he was going to be attacked.

He had been too angry at the time to really pay attention but looking back on it later, he pondered why Potter would have such a severe reaction. He noticed that the boy was tense but he looked more like he had seen death himself. His face had been pale and his eyes if he recalled correctly had been slightly dilated before he began to get angry when Snape mentioned he would be supervised. He recalled as he marched Potter to lunch, one particular reaction which set him on edge. Potter had flinched. He flinched when he said starved. It was that more than anything else that made Snape keep quiet and observe him.

Lunch had been tense though for his part it was because he was refraining himself from saying biting as that might do more harm than good as he watched Potter. What little he observed gave him an uneasy feeling and brought back the glimpses from Potter's mind to the fore. Potter with his head bent over his plate didn't notice his Potions Professor was observing him. His long hair which Snape had been surprised to see when he saw him with the look at dinner the first night as he didn't look so much like Potter senior, covered his view. As if hiding the boy. The boy was skinny. Not that he wasn't always but his skinniness seemed more pronounced this time that any other. There were black bags under his eyes which told Snape he hadn't slept well. He decided he would observe Potter a little longer and see how things turned out in a few days. Then he would decide if he needed to take further action and if his fears were correct or unfounded.

The rest of that day had passed well, for him at least. It was amusing seeing Potter seethe at being in treated like a five year old. Potter remained well behaved, for Potter anyway, the rest of the day. He was in his room by ten which was good because it meant that he could have his meeting with the Headmaster uninterrupted. He recalled the meeting with Dumbledore with a frown. There was something odd about that meeting. Not to mention disturbing as well.  

Leaning back on the armchair, Severus tried again to read the Potions Monthly Digest but was having no luck. He could find no relaxation. His mind kept wandering in circles. Potter's disrespect which had him fuming to his strange reaction in the library which confused him. His eyes moved to the grandfather clock. It read 11:59. The Headmaster should be arriving momentarily. At the stroke of midnight, the fire flared and Dumbledore stepped out from the floo.

"Please remain seated Severus," Dumbledore said softly when Severus made to stand up to greet him. Taking a seat opposite him, Dumbledore sat down in one of the armchairs and took out his wand to conjure a tea service with butter scones. 

He made two cups, one black with one sugar and milk for Severus who accepted his cup graciously while the headmaster made his own cup of tea with a slice of lemon. Dumbledore leaned back comfortably and sipped his tea while munching on a scone. He gestured to Severus to help himself to some scones who declined wordlessly.

The passed the time in relatively peaceful silence though there was a hint of tension underneath. Severus took the time while drinking his tea to observe the Headmaster. He looked well though there were hints of small bags under his eyes. His face that was drawn and pinched when he stepped out of the floo, now relaxed as he slipped his tea, his shoulders losing their tension.

"You need rest." Severus remarked quietly as he drained his cup.

Dumbledore chuckled quietly at the concern from his trusted friend. "I will rest when I am able Severus. There is still much to be done."

He straightened slightly in his chair and placed his empty cup back on the tray having finished his tea and scones. Stapling his fingers at the tips with his elbows resting on the arms of the chair, Albus looked intently on Severus simply leaned back in his chair.

"How are things Severus?" he asked quietly.

"As well as can be expected." came the reply equally softly though there was a hint of annoyance in it at the situation.

"And Harry?"  Albus asked, his eyes shined in concern.

"How do you think Albus?" Severus growled slightly. "You are well aware of the history between us and yet despite that you still pair the two of us together. What are you trying to accomplish?"

"How has Harry been taking this?" Dumbledore asked, ignoring the man's last question.

"He's been aggravating as always. The first day and he already breaks the rules I gave him. A record even for Potter."

"Oh?" Dumbledore looked curiously at Severus. "What happened?"

Snape recounted the episode from the earlier venting his frustration out. As he recounted getting Potter from the library, his mind yet again pondered over the boy's reaction when he came up behind him. The more he thought about it, the more the memory nagged him. The details standing out sharply in comparison to before as he went over it in his mind. The hitch of his breath as he held him up, the dilated eyes that searched the room wide with panic while his face turns if he remembers correctly, slightly pale.

His brow frowned in thought and deeply hidden underneath, concern as he finished his recounting. Being startled his one thing but there seemed to be more to it with Potter. Was he reading too much into this? The Ministry letter was understandable to be panicked with given the sudden change in the situation but surely after the ordeal there was no need to worry. Was it an aftershock maybe?

"Severus?" came a concerned voice.

"How did the hearing go?" The words escaped his mouth before he could stop himself. That was not what he wanted to do.

Eyes slightly widening at the question, Albus eyed him closely before sighing. "I arrived in time. Had I arrived any later, Harry would not be returning to Hogwarts."

Severus straightened at hearing that, looking sharply. "I gave you the message well before the time for his hearing. What happened to delay you?"

"It was not I who was delayed Severus." Dumbledore said. "When I arrived at the Ministry and asked for the courtroom, I discovered that Fudge interfered with proper procedure yet again. He changed the timing for Harry's hearing." 

"More than before?" he asked incredulously.

"Yes. On top on that, he summoned the entire Wizardgamot. And tried Harry in front of a full criminal court." Here, the old wizard eyes held a spark on fury as he recalled the discovery of that fact. Once he learned what Fudge intended he rushed as quickly as he could to the child's defence.

Snape sat back. Though his face remained stoic, he was reeling with shock inwardly. A full criminal court. For underage magic?! Granted he wanted Potter to be held responsible for his actions but being tried for underage magic for defending yourself was not something even Potter should have had to go through. Being treated like a criminal for such minor offence, no wonder Potter was relieved when he came back, off the hook. That brought the memory of the conversation Potter had with Weasley. Eyes slightly narrowed, he looked back at his mentor.

"Potter must have been relieved when it was over." He spoke carefully observing the man opposite him.

"Yes, he seemed so. Arthur waited outside for him to take him back to Headquarters." Dumbledore said softly. "I worry whether he will be alright with everything that is going on. He is a resilient young man but he is still young. This cannot be easy for him."

"Why don't you speak to him then?"

"No." The sharp reply came so quickly and unexpectedly Severus was surprised he didn't bang his head against his chair. That was the last thing he expected to hear from the Headmaster.

"I cannot speak to Harry." Dumbledore said lowering his voice but there was something indescribable in his voice.

Severus looked closely at the Headmaster. His shoulders were tense while his hands clenched slightly on the armchair. There was a hint of steel in his eyes that Severus was certain he would never have imagined there, especially in regards to Potter. As well as another unnamed emotion.  

 "What do you mean you cannot speak to him?" He looked directly at Albus, questioningly. Potter was Dumbledore golden boy. This sudden callousness was alarming. Dumbledore had always cared about the boy regardless to what he had done or his faults. What could possibly have happened to change his opinion in such a daunting way?

"There is more at play here than you know Severus. More forces at work. I simply cannot speak to Harry at the time." There was resolve in his voice at those words.

Severus looked at the aged wizard for a long moment. This turn of events was something he had not foreseen. The words of ‘other forces at play' sending all his instincts as a spy in overdrive. He was missing something. A piece of the puzzle. What was it?

"He noticed you wouldn't even look at him." He said simply, his deep voice seemingly loud in the stillness of the room. Dumbledore's eyes flattered after the words were spoken. His blue eyes filling with sorrow. For a second time that day, the Headmaster looked his age, the lines in his face deepening in pain.

After a moment of gathering his composure, he spoke again. "It is for the best." His voice whispered, being barely audible.

"You care for him. That has been evident from the beginning. Why are you so determined now after all this time to pretend he doesn't exist?" he questioned steadily, his keen eyes looking for any signs of answers in the Headmaster's body language.

"I am doing no such thing, Severus." Dumbledore retorted deliberately though there was a pained emotion glistening in his eyes. "There are reasons for my actions. Now, however is not the time to question them.  For now, I am not able to speak to Harry at the time."

Severus considered probing more but the look in the headmaster's eyes stopped him. He would not get anything out of Albus at the present. It did give him something to work with however. He clearly cared about the boy still. The pain in his eyes was a testimony to that. So why was he so adamant about ignoring the brat?

"Will you look after him?"

Severus' eyes widened slightly at the unexpected question. "I beg your pardon?"

"Will you look after Harry?" Dumbledore repeated the question calmly as if he did not notice the incredulous look his Potions' Master was giving him.

"Do I not do that already? Or was I mistaken and looking after a baboon for the last four and a half years?" he said, sarcasm heavy in each word.

"Harry is an incredible young man who has proven time and time again to be resilient in whatever comes his way. But I fear for him still." A deep sigh was released at this.

"Then why not speak to him yourself?" he countered.

"I will not repeat this again Severus." Resolve and annoyance beginning to colour the wizard's tone.

Snape conceded at the look he received but he refused to give in to this. Of all the hair-brained schemes the old coot had come up with in the past years, he went along with them despite his discomfort or irritation. This however was over the line. Look after the brat, indeed. What had he been doing since he arrived at school? Playing hopscotch?

Snape scowled at his thoughts on the matter. Scotch however seemed very tempting at the moment.

"He has plenty of people looking after him. Or have you forgotten the Weasleys?" He said glaringly. 

"The Weasley's while a remarkable family with great hearts, Molly and Arthur have their own brood to worry and look after. And while they love and care for Harry deeply, they cannot look after him at Hogwarts. As well as that all their children who attend are still that. Children, despite the twins being of age. And while Minerva will do her best, an extra pair of eyes and ears never goes amiss."  

 "I already look after him." Snape said with great restraint on his annoyance at the doubt of his ability.

"More than you do now? Severus," Here, Dumbledore expression looked imploringly at him. "I need to know someone is watching out for him at a more personal level."

"And you expect me to do that?" he said disbelievingly.

"I'm asking you too. I need to know that should anything happen, someone will be there for him."

"Isn't that what the mutt is for?" Snape snarled out.

"You know very well that Sirius is a wanted criminal for crime he never committed making it difficult for him to be there for Harry as he would have wished." Dumbledore looked sternly at Snape, reproach in his tone. "Given the states of current affairs at the moment, it is more than likely communication between Harry and Sirius will be difficult as owls may be intercepted."

"What precisely does that have to do with me?" Snape snapped.

"Nothing, I suppose." Dumbledore looked calmly at Snape who was seething silently in his chair. "However, given the Ministry's current status towards anything to do with Harry, he will be watched with a keen eye. I need to know that should anything happen, someone will be there for Harry as I cannot look after him due to circumstances. I need to know that someone I trust will be there for him."

Snape gritted his teeth at this. He could see no way out of this. And he very much doubted if Albus would really allow him to refuse. His eyes narrowed as he considered Albus' words.

"What do you mean ‘should anything happen'?" Snape questioned calmly, concern underlying his tone once he processed everything. "Do you know of something to occur?"

Albus closed his eyes briefly before looking back at Snape. "I have my suspicions. But until I learn more I cannot say much else on the matter. As I have been removed from my seat from the Wizardgamot, it will take some time for me to confirm any suspicions." The look on his face was thoughtful and tired.

Snape nodded at that. Inwardly, he mulled over everything said since the meeting began. He did not understand Albus' adamant avoidance of Potter and what his suspicions were that he was hiding but he would have to let it go for now. That however brought back Albus' request.

He looked up at him employer and saw steady eyes look back at him, awaiting his decision.

"What do you want me to do for him?" Snape intoned, releasing a sigh.

"Be there for him." Dumbledore said simply. "Look after him."

Snape stared back at the old wizard. It was official.

The old coot had gone senile.

Like it was ever that bloody simple.

"It is late." Dumbledore stated, startling Snape from his reprieve as he got up. "I will leave you to your rest." He made his way over to the fireplace, picking a pinch of floo powder from the top resting on top of the fireplace. Before throwing the powder to the flames, Dumbledore turned back to look at Snape who also stood to see the Headmaster off.

"I worry greatly for what is to come and whether Harry will be able to handle it." His eyes spoke volumes of sadness that only held a quiver in his tone. "Look after him Severus. I trust you." Before Snape could open his mouth to say anything, he threw the floo into the flames and vanished from sight.

Snape stared at the fireplace after the Headmaster was gone before he pinched himself across the bridge of his nose. That scotch looked absolutely delightful.

Taking out his wand, he banished the tea service and cleaned the surrounding area of any crumbs before making his way up the stairs. He was tired and all he wanted right now was his bed. He'd think about everything in the morning.

As he stepped onto the landing heading towards his room, he paused before Potter's door. He debated for a moment with himself before his feet made their way outside the boy's door, good sense having gone to sleep. At least, that's what he told himself. Silently, he turned the handle to see whether the brat was asleep or slacking off.

There was no light from the hallway but the moon shined through the boy's window as the curtains were open, giving a soft glow. Taking a moment to adjust to the light in the darkened room, his dark eyes looked around. The desk under the window was neat, surprisingly for a Gryffindor with the only occupant being a box tucked into the top right corner of the desk. There was no dust or litter anywhere, not even by the closet. Even the shoes were neatly tucked in the corner of the room. A movement from his right caught his eye. He spotted Potter curled up in his bed, the comforters sweeping the floor. Quietly, stepping in, he made his way over and stood looking down at his charge momentarily.

The change in Potter was startling compared to when he was awake. When he was awake, the boy looked rigid. As if he couldn't let his guard down. His brow usually seemed to have a faint frown while looking defiantly at everything. The contrast was astounding now. His muscles were lax and limp. His hair, at its current length was all over his pillow and rumpled giving him a case of severe bed hair. In sleep, the tense lines smoothed themselves out making him look younger than his fifteen years especially with the absence of his glasses.

As if aware of Snape's regard somehow, Potter shivered slightly but enough to be noticeable and burrowed deeper into the bed searching for warmth, curling up on himself before shifting on his side with his face digging into the pillow. Snape almost snorted at the sight. He was about to leave when he turned back. Picking up the comforter, he smoothly pulled it over Potter and tucked the edges in around him lightly. For a moment, he thought he saw sleepy green eyes open to look at him before they were gone.

He left as quietly as he came and made his way to his room. As he entered his room, the image of Potter, sleeping and looking so vulnerable seemed to haunt him. He kept hearing Dumbledore's parting words. ‘Look after him.' He could feel the beginnings of a headache coming. ‘I'll deal with everything in the morning.' Was his last thought before an uneasy sleep claimed him.

Snape sighed deeply as he recalled that memory. He still did not understand why the Headmaster refused to speak to Potter himself and was no closer to finding out himself even now.

The morning after that first night, Snape had woken up and entered the kitchen to see Potter setting breakfast at the table. To say he was surprised would be a bit of an understatement. Of all the sights to greet him in the morning, Potter cooking for two was not one of them. He recalled observing Potter in the short conversation that followed. He was back to being tense and guarded. However, his eyes seemed wary, yet imploring with a bit of lightness when he spoke to him. Snape recognized the Potter's gesture for what it was, even if he didn't say the words.

An apology, even a silent one was something that he never expected to receive from the brat. It made him wonder if he was still sleeping or if he just never bothered to notice this side of Potter. The side that quietly cleaned up after himself, seemingly at ease and relaxed. For reasons he still denied internally, at least that's what he told himself, Snape allowed Potter to go back to wandering on his own making it clear he not do anything stupid.

As Snape read the paper, he pondered on the events of the past few days, especially last night and earlier in the morning, not really reading the words. He admitted if only to himself, he might not know everything as he thought in regards to Potter and made his resolve to look after Potter. ‘Only to make sure the idiot doesn't do something stupid' he groused inwardly. Not because he had an inkling of concern for the boy. Nope, he wasn't concerned for his welfare at all.

As he was arguing with himself, he saw from the corner of his eye, Potter had re-entered the room with the box he saw that took residence at his table last night. Unobtrusively, Snape observed as Potter went about setting himself up, curious as to what the boy was doing. When he opened the box, he was surprised to see it filled with art supplies. He watched slightly amazed at how Potter began to deftly stroke his sketches with sure fingers and became engrossed in his work completely oblivious to scrutiny.

The level of concentration Potter showed was again something astounding to Snape. He didn't think he'd ever seen the boy show such dedication to anything apart from perhaps Quidditch. There was something else different about Potter to as he painted. He seemed...peaceful. Yes, that was it. Potter seemed more at ease as he painted. As if he forgot about the outside world. He was more contented.

Silently, Snape got up and retreated to his room. Yet again, he found himself questioning, not for the first time, did he really know all there was to Potter? Setting his newspaper down at his desk, he spied the pile of paperwork he had to complete before the beginning of the school year. ‘Look after him.' Those words echoed his head yet again. A spark suddenly lighted in his onyx eyes. Dumbledore wanted him to look after the boy. He had paperwork to complete. And Potter was in the kitchen doing his creative activity. Why not kill two birds with one stone? Do his paperwork, hopefully without strangling someone and observe Potter at the same time. The incident in the library came to the forefront of his mind. He admitted to himself, the small tiny part of his conscious at least, that there was some part of him that was concerned over the boy.

Making his decision, he grabbed what he needed and returned silently to the kitchen. Potter had looked up briefly before he returned to what he was doing. And Snape began his marking and syllabus changes as he periodically looked up to see what Potter was doing.

After some time, he began absorbed in his own work. It was amazing how well he was able to work even with Potter in the same room. The silence seemed peaceful as opposed to uncomfortable. He didn't look up from his work until Potter offered lunch. He remembered Potter's fumbling as he went about making lunch, unhinged by his intent look on him. After a while he seemed to have lost his nervousness and moved about in a manner of someone with long practise in the kitchen.

‘Where did he learn such skills?' he wondered as he set aside his work and set the table while watching Potter from the corner of his eyes. ‘When did he learn to cook? How long since he learned?' He found himself questioning this as he had never seen the boy show any such skills before. Not even in his Potions class.

He questioned Potter himself and was surprised when he said his Aunt had taught him though he didn't show that outwardly. If he remembered Petunia correctly, the woman learned how to cook only after her mother had forced her too. She hated stepping into the kitchen. There was something in Potter's face when he said that. His expression seemed to have closed off. He filed that expression away to look at later. The remainder of the day passed in relative ease, he was amazed to note. He mused at how quiet the boy was around him and how self-sufficient he seemed. ‘You learn something new I suppose.' He said wryly to himself.

He was amused at Potter's look when he saw him cleaning dishes. He would need to remember that when he needed a laugh.

Over the next few days, he observed Potter without him knowing and found himself becoming perturbed at some of what he saw in the boy. While they seemed to be getting along without killing one another, the boy always looked tired when he saw him in the mornings. The dark bags under his eyes seemed to fade and then become prominent again. At times, he appeared twitchy, as if he expected someone to jump him. He had checked on the boy during the nights and he always seemed to be curled up in a fetal position as if protecting himself. He couldn't count the number of times he had to cover the boy so he didn't catch his death of the cold. Despite that Potter, still seemed tired even though he had not seen signs of anything that could have disturbed his sleep.

He became more enlightened to aspects of the boy when that spunky (albeit clumsy, irritating, annoying, walking catastrophe) girl Tonks came to visit him. Concern was also something he began to feel grow increasingly towards the boy.

He had quirked an eyebrow when he heard some of the authors Potter liked and was interested in. Some were his favourites as well especially Tolkien. He however had burrowed a frown when the topic changed to something as mundane as vacations and Potter said that he hadn't been anywhere.

Surely, he would have gone on vacation with his family. When Dumbledore had placed Potter with the Dursleys, he had given everyone involved in the order a brief rundown on the family and their occupations even amongst protests. Dursley senior if he remembered correctly was the manager of a drilling company. Surely, he could afford a vacation every now and then even if he was the only breadwinner so to speak?

Potter's answer to Tonks question had him narrowing his eyes at the boy. There was something else going on here. At first he hadn't been certain as he didn't have enough to go on but after that conversation; he knew in his gut that Potter was hiding something about his relatives. And he didn't like the foreboding feeling that was filling his gut. There was something the boy was afraid to talk about. His body language gave him away and he wasn't the only one to notice, he saw Tonks eye him as well before looking at him discreetly.

She had shifted the conversation away without problems but he knew as an Auror, her mind was filing the little details away just as his were. He had observed further but found that once the conversation shifted from his relatives, Potter relaxed. The rest of that day had passed well given the trouble magnet for company (though he couldn't decide who was a bigger trouble magnet between Bubblehead and Potter). He had nearly cursed said bubblehead when he heard her screech towards the end of her visit. He growled about experimental ingredients for fertilizer as he made his way towards the entrance.

The daft girl was squealing. Over what, Snape didn't want to guess much. He just wanted the nuisance to be quiet though his glare seems to have had no effect on her.

He was amazed when she showed him Potter's painting that the boy had apparently made for her as a gift at her request. The level of detail was astounding to say the least though the stoic man didn't show that openly. He was amazed at how alive Potter's painting looked despite not being charmed like most paintings in the magical world. The cool backgrounds, the details in the fur, the eyes and the lightening were incredible. Of course, he would not admit it aloud so he reverted to being his usual self. The conversation that followed left him greatly amused.

That brought him back to this morning when he arose from his sleep by a knock on his door. ‘This had better be a damn emergency or I swear heads will roll.' He growled as he put his robe on. His sleepiness vanished as took in Potter's appearance. He shifted in action and cleaned Potter up as he helped him back to his room while questioning him. He was reluctant to leave Potter on his own until his owl gathered his attention. He felt slightly unnerved as his owl had regarded him. There was something different about this owl. She seemed more aware than most owls. As he gave Potter the Migraine Relief Elixir, he was disturbed at how vulnerable the boy looked. More so than when he had seen him before. The potion took most of the pain away but it would be a while before his health recovered. It was starling at how his features changed once the potion took effect. 

He was brought out of his musings when he heard a creak coming from downstairs. He turned sharply at the sound and slowly but quietly stood up and made his way to the door. He discreetly put up some protection wards on Potter as a safety precaution. Even though order members were the only ones able to come in, it was better to be safe than sorry.

He silently made his way downstairs, his wand in front of him and made his way to the landing. There was a shadow at the entrance. The figure was wiping their feet on the entrance mat; their back was turned to him. While they were busy, Snape snuck down and behind the intruder covering their mouth with one hand swiftly, pulling them towards him and held his wand to the intruder's temple.

"Didn't anyone teach you to knock?" he said in a deadly, cold voice.

The figure startled when they felt a hand covering them and the wand pointed at its temple. The intruder turned out to be a she who twisted in his grasp but Snape was unrelenting. She tried again and this time Snape let her go but had his wand still pointed at her. The figure turned and brought out her wand with a swift speed that nearly surprised Snape. The intruder turned out to be someone he didn't expect.

Minerva McGonagall.

"Heavens above, Severus. You nearly gave me a heart attack." The aged witch spat out at her colleague while she tried to calm herself down. She hadn't expected anyone to be up yet which was why she came early. Severus sneaking up behind her was something she should have expected. The man was nothing if not paranoid about safety. ‘That'll teach me to let my guard down.' She thought disparagingly to herself.

Despite the revelation of his unexpected guest, Snape didn't lower his wand. He had to make certain this wasn't an imposter.

"What was the first thing Minerva McGonagall said to me when I first took the position of Potions Master at Hogwarts?" he questioned steely.

Minerva looked at him steadily before she replied. "I told you congratulations and to come to my office for tea and biscuits."

Snape smirked in recollection as he finally lowered his wand. Minerva always enjoyed her tea and biscuits in the company of others. She especially enjoyed verbal spars during said tea times. The first day Minerva invited him, he was amazed at how accepting she had been of him and how she tried to coerce him into conversation. She finally succeeded after a few tries as Snape was very closed off at the time he came to Hogwarts. Something Minerva knew from his time as a student. From then on, they had become friends, something Snape privately revelled in as he did not have many friends after Lily and missed the companionship that came with friendship.

Minerva also lowered her wand once she saw Snape satisfied. She was wearing a dark green skirt and ivory blouse and had a matching shawl wrapped around her and wore long dark boots. She brushed some lint of her shawl and tucked her wand back up her sleeve.

"Was that really necessary?" She asked as they made their way to the kitchen.

"I was not expecting company Minerva and I received no notification that anyone would be coming. Surely, you did not expect me to simply laze about like a dunderhead and not make certain now did you?" he asked rhetorically as he went about making tea. "Breakfast?"

"Something light will do Severus." She set the table and then took her seat. Snape followed shortly after with some toast and fried eggs and a pot of tea.

"So what brings you here this early in the morning Minerva?" Snape questioned curiously as he offered his colleague some eggs before helping himself.

"Albus wanted me to bring you up to date about some situations. But it is best to save them for after the meal."

He eyed her curiously wondering at her tone. She seemed angry at something. He nodded in acceptance and they ate their meals in comfortable silence.

They cleaned up and then retired to the sitting room with the warm mugs of tea.

"Well, what is it?" Snape questioned once they were seated in armchairs by the fire.

"Patience, Severus. You should respect your elders." She said in a patronizing, teasing tone.

"You are deliberately being annoying Minerva." Snape teased back with a snarl.

McGonagall tilted her head, as if listening for something. She looked very reminiscent of her feline counterpart that Snape was almost tempted to laugh. Almost.

"Where is Mr. Potter Severus?" she questioned her younger colleague while narrowing her eyes slightly at the silence of the house.

Snape breathed out and retold the events of the morning to her. She was concerned for her lion as he expected.

"Is he well now?" she questioned setting her mug down.

"He is sleeping at the moment. The potions will most likely make him sleep on an off during the day. I don't expect him to be coherent until tomorrow morning however." He surmised.

"What caused his migraine?"

"It could be anything really." He said. "Migraines have a number of triggers. It could be anything from food to fatigue to physical activity. My guess is fatigue as he has been showing signs of a light sleeping disorder."

"He hasn't been sleeping well?"

"I have observed him having slight bags under his eyes but when I checked on him during the night, he seemed to be sleeping heavily."

She raised an eyebrow at hearing Severus checking on one of her Gryffindors before the amused light went out to be replaced by deep concern.

"Could it be he is having nightmares?" she questioned quietly, the lines in her face burrowing deeper. "About what happened at the end of last year?"

Snape frowned in thought before he answered. "It is...quite possible." He spoke with deliberate slowness as he gathered his thoughts. "In fact, it's more than probable. One doesn't get over something like that simply because they don't talk about it. It's more than likely his memories have been haunting him."

"Has he been talking about what happened? To anyone, even his friends?" she fired rapidly.

Snape eyed Minerva before he answered. "As far as I know, he hasn't spoken to anyone. But then again, Minerva, I'm the ‘dungeon bat of Hogwarts.' I would be the last one he'd speak to of something like this despite our recent cordial pleasantries."

Minerva brow furrowed in thought as she thought over what he friend said. Severus would be the last one Harry would speak to of something so personal. And yet Severus knows better than anyone what Mr. Potter is going through. However, given their histories, she shouldn't ask for the impossible. The day Severus and Harry Potter have a heart to heart conversation will be the day of the apocalypse. Speaking of conversations however...

"I have not been there much for Mr. Potter over the years." She began quietly. Snape looked at her questioningly. "It wasn't until recently I realized how much I have been neglecting Mr. Potter. After the events of first year, he should have been speaking to someone about what happened."

Snape eyed her steadily as she continued. "The events with the Philosopher's Stone were nearly fatal as they were. On top of that, Quirrell attacked Mr. Potter in collaboration with You-Know-Who. Mr. Potter defeated him but Quirrell still died by his hand even if he passed out shortly after. He should have spoken to someone after that. I should have made sure he did."

"I should have made sure he spoke to a counsellor or at least let him know that I was available if he wanted to talk to someone. I didn't. Just as I didn't help him when he was ostracized in his second year for being a parselmouth and accused of attacking his fellow classmates. I didn't help him then. I didn't help him after I learned he faced a basilisk. I didn't help him when I learned how the Dementors affected him."

"What about the Dementors?" Snape interrupted softly.

McGonagall looked up when he spoke. "Remus spoke to me later that year. He told me when he was giving Mr. Potter the extra Patronus lessons, Mr. Potter confessed that he heard his parent's last moments right before they were killed." She eyes moistened in remembrance.

Snape paled when he heard McGonagall's words. He was aware that Potter fainted around Dementors but he thought it had been simply due to their oppressing presence. He had no idea that Potter heard his parent's last moments when he came near those beasts.

He felt a pang in his chest at some emotion he couldn't entirely identify. Life gave its own painful memories as it was. But for the Dementors to bring out the earliest and most likely only memories the boy would ever remember of his parents, right before they died. He couldn't imagine how tortured Potter must have felt at that once he realized what he remembered.

Minerva eyes Severus closely before the man put up his stoic mask. She was almost certain she saw pain and compassion for Mr. Potter before he closed himself off. Searching but finding nothing, she continued but filed his reaction at the back of her mind.

"Then with last year, the entire Tournament. I should have been there for him after what happened at the third task. I should have spoken to him before he left for the summer holidays. But I didn't. And that fault lies with me and me alone."

Snape was quiet for some time before he spoke again. "What do you intend to do then?"

McGonagall sighed as she leaned back in her chair. "I intend to see if he would consent to speaking to a counsellor. If not that, than at least myself or one of the teachers if he doesn't feel comfortable talking to me. Every teacher at school is versed in psychology as part of the requirement as you well know."

Snape nodded at that. He did know. It was a requirement for everyone of the staff had to go through to be able to better understand the students as well as teach and be able to spot anything out of the ordinary in their behaviour. Seminars were held at least once or twice every month in order to update on any new method or study that had come out as well as help teachers identify students that may have learning disabilities or suffer from something else. It was also to bring to the table any concerns teachers might have regarding students.

"Who do you have in mind?" he asked quietly.

Here, Minerva let out a growl. Snape raised an eyebrow at the reaction. This was unexpected.

"It seems," she began with barely restrained fury, "that every counsellor I have spoken to so far are currently unavailable."

Snape blinked. "I beg your pardon?"

"I have been to St. Mungo's and tried speaking to some of the counsellors there. It seems they either are booked solid or are suddenly called away."

Snape frowned at that. "I fail to see why you are frustrated Minerva. It is not entirely strange if the counsellors are booked. Some are unable to take patients simply because of the number patients they already deal with are too high. And it is St. Mungo's. They deal with thousands of patients every day."

"I am aware of that Severus. That is why I asked for the counsellors who would be able to take in new patients. And all of them gave me the same response. "I cannot help you at the moment, there is too much going on." Or "I'm sorry but could we perhaps speak another time. The other time never coming. If it was simply two or three counsellors I could understand. But twenty-five counsellors all of them having the same response Severus? Word-for-word?"

Snape straightened as he heard that, his eyes narrowing. "You spoke to twenty-five counsellors? And this was their response? The exact same wording?"

"Yes, Severus it was." She sighed in frustration. "At first I thought nothing of it. It wasn't until I received the same response from the seventh person I spoke too that I tried to understand what was going on."

"What did you find?" he asked, his eyes glinting fiercely. He would bet his best cauldron someone spoke to those counsellors to keep away.

Minerva McGonagall let out a string of curses in her native Gallic that made Severus Snape's eyebrows recedes into his hairline. While he did not speak the language, it didn't take a genius to figure out she was cussing up a storm. It was rare that the Gryffindor lioness ever spoke like this but if she did, nothing good would come of it. Of this, he was absolutely certain.

She looked at him once she calmed down enough to say "Fudge." She spat out the name as one would poison.

"He has been getting his dogs to go behind the scenes and dissuaded anyone from giving any help to Mr. Potter under the pretence that the boy is a compulsive liar and fabricating the entire story as he has been leaning heavily on the Daily Prophet."

"And let me guess, there is nothing that can be done as they have in one way or another been threatened with their jobs or something else personal?" Snape enquired leaning back on his chair.

"Indeed." McGonagall said tightly. "I never gave away the student's name for confidentiality purposes until I was certain that whoever I spoke to would take the student on. However, that has not been the case."

Snape sat up and brought the tips of his fingers and rested his chin on them. "If you are so concerned about Potter's mental state Minerva, the staff is more than capable of speaking to him and everyone has the essential training." He said calmly.

"I know Severus. But I still wanted to see if a counsellor would consent to speaking with him and give their assessment." She sighed and sat back warily in her chair. "I will speak to Mr. Potter myself regarding this matter."

"I take it this was what you wanted to bring to my attention." Snape said quietly.

"This was one of the things yes. The other was our new staff member."

"Pray tell Minerva," Snape spoke with deliberation at the vitriol in her tone. "Who is our new member that brought such you to such a happy state?"

"Umbridge." The name was delivered in the same tone as Fudge's.

Snape narrowed his eyes at the name. It sounded familiar. "The Ministry hag?" he spoke disbelievingly.

"The very same." Minerva said as her lips thinned in fury. "Albus suspected that Fudge would try something like this but wasn't certain until last night. She is now our new Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor."  

They were quiet for a moment as each became lost in their thoughts. Snape brooded internally. Fudge planting one of his own people would be bad news all around. The Umbridge wench was known to be extremely radical is her views. Especially towards anyone she considers part human such as werewolves or half giants. She was also someone who believed every word that came out of the Ministry's mouth even if there was evidence to the contrary.

He would have continued with his dark thoughts and their implications if Minerva speaking again hadn't brought him out of his brooding.

"Albus suspects Fudge planted her to keep an eye on him and the rest of the staff to be certain that Hogwarts wasn't doing anything against the Ministry." She paused for a moment before she continued. "He also believes that she was sent to keep a close eye on Mr. Potter."

Snape looked up at that. It was more than likely the main reason she was planted at Hogwarts. To ensure Mr. Potter did not cause anything problematic for the Ministry.

"I'm worried Severus." Minerva said quietly. "With everything that has happened and now this, I fear Mr. Potter will not be able to cope with whatever that vile woman may do."

Snape looked at her piercingly before he spoke softly. "If it puts your mind at ease Minerva, Potter has been coping."

"Oh?" She raised an eyebrow in question. "How do you know that?"

"Creative Expression." He said dryly.

She looked questioningly at him at that statement.

"Mr. Potter has recently taken up painting." He said softly. "He probably doesn't even realize what he is doing on a conscious level. Unconsciously, however he has turned to art as a way of dealing with the emotional trauma last year brought."

"Has he, now?" Minerva smiled for the first time since she arrived. "I'm glad then. At least, something is helping him with the events of last year. I will still speak to him still however about talking to someone."

Snape simply nodded. They spoke for another half hour about staff meeting and other mundane things before McGonagall got up to take her leave. As she was about to leave, she turned back to look at Snape intently.

"You will inform me if anything changes with Mr. Potter?" she asked inquiringly.

Snape raised an eyebrow at that.

Seeing this, McGonagall elaborated. "In his health or otherwise."

Snape nodded in agreement. He would inform her if any alarming changes took place that she needed to know about.

"You know Severus, when Albus told me that he had you looking after Mr. Potter I was concerned giving both your histories." McGonagall spoke softly while looking intently at him. "I think however, I see now why he insisted on you looking after the boy."

"Oh?" he questioned curiously. "Do tell Minerva, what the old coot's reasons were for putting us together under the same roof in such close confinement?"

"Tell me Severus, what do you think of Mr. Potter now since the time you two have spent living under the same roof? And do not lie to me young man." She said sternly.

Snape pondered how to answer that question while Minerva looked at him unwaveringly. In the end, he decided to tell a bit of his thoughts based on what he had observed as Minerva would be relentless until she received a satisfactory answer.

"He is not what I expected." He began slowly. "In my class, he would always be the one who is defiant and never seemed to pay attention to his work. Yet since I began living here with him, he is...not unpleasant company."

Minerva gave him a look that said ‘elaborate'.

"He is quiet, more so than I would have believed him to be possible. Yet, he cleans up after himself and during the rather limited but small conversations we've had, he has been... engaging in some intellectual conversations. More thoughtful and reflective than I knew him to be."

"Do you still think him to be arrogant and spoiled?" She asked intently.

Snape reflected back to the first night when Potter came to Grimmauld Place. He thought back to what he gleaned from the boy's mind and his haggard and worn appearance. He thought to everything that happened after that and up to this morning.

If he was to be brutally honest with himself, he would have to say no. He didn't think Potter to be arrogant and spoiled. Reckless, most certainly. Impulsive, definitely. Stubborn, no doubt about it. Spoiled and arrogant? No, Potter most certainly wasn't those. Which brought him back to his suspicions of his relatives and his growing concern. No, the boy was many things but spoiled and arrogant wasn't them. He wondered if he should tell Minerva his suspicions concerning her lion but decided against it for now. He'd tell her when he had something concrete.

He looked up to see her watching him closely, waiting for an answer.

"No." He said simply though it took a lot for him to admit that out loud even if it was only to himself and his friend.

Minerva quirked her lips at seeing the honest and sincere answer in Severus' eyes. "I believe he put you together so you could see Harry as he truly is, without your preconceptions blinding you. And more than likely, he thought that given the recent situation, it would be the perfect opportunity for you to see the truth for what it is." Minerva expression turned stern again. "I don't agree with him taking advantage of Mr. Potter's situation but I understand the reasoning. But I gave him a good talking to when he told me his reasoning, meddlesome old coot."

Snape gritted his teeth at hearing that. While he agreed (if only to himself) that he was...mistaken, he also did not appreciate Dumbledore using Potter's situation as he did. If his plan backfired, there would have been more than one person hurt. And with growing realization, it would have been Potter who took a brunt of the pain.

"Perhaps Severus, you should consider helping Mr. Potter more once the school year begins." McGonagall's voice brought him back to reality.

Snape narrowed his eyes at that. He had a feeling he knew where she was going with this.

"Minerva," he began slowly, his baritone voice lowering to a silky quality. "Even if I have admitted I have mistaken Mr. Potter, it does not mean he would be willing to accept anything from me." Snape narrowed his eyes looking at her intently. "Regardless of us being cordial with one another since I have been looking after him, it does not mean he would speak to me about his problems or his issues whatever they may be. So you can forget about me speaking to him about last year or anything else. I guarantee you; he would vehemently refuse even if we have been civil recently."

"Perhaps," McGonagall said after a pause. "Or perhaps, Mr. Potter's opinion has also changed as yours has and he may not regard you as he did previously."

"You're starting to sound like our barmy employer Minerva." Snape said sardonically.

Minerva conceded and let it go. She'd think about how to help Harry when she returned to her office. 

"Before I forget, Albus asked you to take Mr. Potter to Diagon Alley this week to get his supplies."

"Wonderful," Snape said sarcastically. "Any other surprises?"

"The Weasley twins will be dropping by to visit Mr. Potter. Molly spoke to Albus and cleared the visit. Expect them soon. Other than that, there is nothing."

‘Great,' Snape thought. The biggest menaces to society coming to visit. What joy. ‘I really need to get some scotch.'  He groused.

Minerva turned to leave and looked back at him one more time.

"At least think about it Severus." She said steadily. "You yourself admitted you were wrong and blinded. Don't fall back into old habits." And with that, she left.

Chapter End Notes:
Next in Perseverance:
The twins come visit and go shopping with Snape and Harry. Sirius makes an appearance as well.


Not sure when I'll next be able to update but I'll try my best. So please be patient with me. Review please :)