Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
DISCLAIMER: JKR owns all.
Dinner

"Hello," Remus called as he entered the tower.

Severus was still wary of him and he clung tightly to Dumbledore. The Headmaster calmed him with gentle assurances.

"Are you going to sit in your chair for me, Severus?" the old man asked softly, after giving him another cuddle.

Severus consented and was soon ready to have dinner.

Harry had been drowsing in Remus's arms, but, on hearing the Headmaster's voice, he opened his eyes.

Dumbledore gave him one of his warmest smiles, eyes twinkling madly, as Harry reached his arms out to him. Albus gathered him close and kissed him on top of his tousled head. "Well, Poppet. What did you do today, hmmm?" he asked.

"Moosic, Abus," the toddler answered shyly.

"We were dancing to some songs on the radio before we came up here," Remus explained.

"Ah," beamed Dumbledore, "The magic of music." He began humming to himself and swaying Harry in his arms.

"I told you he would dance with you, Harry," Lupin grinned.

"I had better stop before this little one falls asleep," murmured Albus. Harry was comfortably dozing in his arms, his thumb in his mouth. "Come on, my Harry. Let's feed you before you go to sleep."

Harry whimpered when Albus attempted to put him in his chair. The old man soothed him and sat him on his lap. Harry allowed Remus to feed him and ate just over half of his dinner. Albus was very glad that Poppy Pomfrey had given him plenty of nourishing potion for the child. He wondered if Harry and Remus had spoken about Sirius that day. He decided to ask the former Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor, once Harry was in bed.

Harry did look very tired, he noted. With this in mind, he called a house- elf to run a bath for the toddler.

There was a knock at the door and Professor McGonagall came in, looking very pleased.

"Hello everyone," she beamed, "All the Hogwarts letters are written, and have been sent out today, Albus."

"Excellent," said Dumbledore enthusiastically, "You are a marvel, Minerva."

"Abus gived 'Nerva kiss," Severus informed Remus, who promptly dropped the cup he'd been holding for Harry. He used the excuse of having to retrieve it, to stifle a laugh.

"Now, now, young one," Albus said to the child, his blue eyes dancing, "That is how rumours start." He pretended not to notice his Deputy Headmistress's look of shock.

Severus, of course, had no idea what Dumbledore was talking about, but he was pleased with the reactions he got from the adults and giggled.

"Little imp," said McGonagall, regaining her composure, "What are we going to do with you?"

Severus had become tired of eating and was stirring his dinner around in his dish. Since it consisted of mashed potatoes, vegetables and gravy, he was making quite a mess.

"Here, now. Young man," scolded Minerva and she removed the dish from his tray.

"No!" he protested shrilly.

"Severus, if you are going to play with your food instead of eating it, I will take it away," she told him firmly.

"You feed me, 'Nerva," he said. McGonagall, relieved that they were not going to fight about this, and proceeded to feed the boy.

Dumbledore waited for the house-elf to return before he lifted the sleepy Harry and carried him into the bathroom.

**************************************************************************

While he was gone, Remus discussed his day with Minerva.

"So, he asked you about Sirius, then?" she put another spoonful of potatoes into Severus's mouth.

"Yes, it was just out of the blue. I got such a shock. I just hope I said the right things." Remus ran a hand through his sandy coloured hair.

"I am sure that you did," the old witch reassured him, "Did he like the kite?"

"He loved it," smiled Remus, grateful for the change of subject. He knew he'd have to discuss the Sirius conversation in more detail, with the Headmaster, "Where did you get it anyway?"

"A wonderful little toy shop in Hogsmeade, next to 'Dervish and Bangs'. You should have a look in there sometime."

"I will," Lupin said thoughtfully, "His birthday is at the end of the month. I should be able to find him a nice present in there."

"Certainly, you would," McGonagall agreed.

"Aw gone now, 'Nerva," Severus said proudly, giving her his plate."

"Yes, it is love," she smiled, "You are a good boy. Albus will be pleased that you ate all your dinner, won't he? Now, let me clean that messy face."

She picked up a warm facecloth and started to clean him up.

"Yuck!" he complained.

****************************************************************************

It was a very tired Harry, who was nestled in Dumbledore's arms, as he emerged from the bathroom.

"Are you going to say 'Goodnight', Harry?" Albus asked him softly.

Remus stood and crossed to them. "Goodnight, Pup," he said, kissing the little boy. Harry smiled slightly.

"Goodnight, my pet," Minerva also kissed Harry.

"An me," said Severus, leaning forward in Minerva's arms.

Dumbledore smiled softly as Severus gave Harry a very sloppy kiss.

"Night, Hawee," called the toddler.

Harry smiled again before burying his face into the Headmaster's neck.

"Time for bed, little one," Albus murmured.

****************************************************************************

Dumbledore returned to his warm bedroom. The house-elves had lit several little lamps, knowing that the children did not like to sleep in the dark. Albus was just placing Harry into his cot, when the child began to cry softly.

"Oh, my dearest. You are very tired, aren't you?" he whispered, "Let's sit in my rocking chair. I think you will fall asleep for me there."

He gathered the baby close to him and crossed the room, having wrapped a warm blanket around Harry. Claiming the chair, moments later, he began to sing softly to his young charge.

"Mummy," Harry whimpered, reminding Albus sharply of the times he had used his warding spells to check on Harry at the Dursleys. He had, on occasion, found him crying for his mother, when his relatives had ignored him or been cruel. Albus had not done anything about it then, believing it would all work out for the boy's own good in the end. Now, he saw what a mistake he had made, he would do something.

He began to rock Harry, once more, and stroked his soft cheek. "It is all right, my darling," he crooned, "Albus is here. I promise I will never leave you to suffer alone again. Shhh, sleep now, little one."

Harry clutched the Headmaster's robes, with one little hand and pulled closer to him. The man continued to soothe and pet him, all the while whispering loving words. Gradually, the green eyes closed.

When he was sure the toddler was deeply asleep, Albus returned him to his cot and tucked him in warmly. He looked down at the sleeping child, the Boy- Who-Lived. He only hoped that de-ageing Harry had been the right thing to do. He wanted to show Harry that he really did love him and would help him in fulfilling that terrible prophecy, in every way he could.

A soft tap on the door interrupted his thoughts, and he opened it carefully. Remus Lupin stood there, looking tired, but more at peace than he had looked in previous weeks. Dumbledore led him into another small room, off the bedroom, and motioned for him to sit down.

"How was Harry today?" he asked quietly.

"Better than I thought he would be, considering what you told me," Lupin answered, "He really came out of his shell. I think that was because it was only the two of us."

"Yes, I rather hoped he might," mused Albus, "I plan to spend some time alone with him, myself, when you leave. Severus has been very unsettled and clingy of late. It is very difficult, in those circumstances, to give Harry the attention he so desperately needs. I shall have Minerva look after Severus and take Harry. Did you speak to him about Sirius at all?"

"Harry asked me about it out of nowhere," Remus started, "I hope I said and did the right things."

"If Harry realised that you cared about him and understood how he felt, and I believe he did, then you did the right things," Dumbledore said with conviction.

"Thank you for letting me take care of him, Albus. I want to be a bigger part of his life than I have been."

"It is no more than you deserve, Remus," said the Headmaster warmly, "I am only sorry for all those years you lost with him. I hope this will help to put things right. Harry needs you more, now, than he ever did. Thank you for your help and support. I suspect today was good for both of you."

"Yes," said Lupin, "I won't deny that it was hard at times, but I think it has brought us closer together."

"Well, that can only be to the good," Dumbledore stood up and patted Lupin's shoulder.

They returned to the main room feeling a little happier than before.