Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
DISCLAIMER: JKR owns all, except Raven Dancer’s Healers Barnes.

Thanks, as always to my beta, excessivelyperky.

A Taste of Medicine

James Barnes went for a stroll in the grounds, with a request to join Albus and Minerva for lunch in the Deputy Headmistress’s rooms. Dumbledore went on ahead with Harry. The little boy was exhausted. He did not speak, but lay his head on the old wizard’s shoulder, his thumb in his mouth.

When they reached Minerva’s door, the Headmaster was concerned to hear crying coming form inside.

“Shhh, my poor wee baby. It’s all right,” McGonagall soothed as she paced the floor with a sobbing Severus in her arms.

“Dear me!” exclaimed the Headmaster, “What on earth is wrong?”

“He’s not well, Albus,” Minerva sounded agitated, “He has a very high temperature and he’s just been sick”.

“Just a moment,” said Dumbledore calmly.

Without another word, he walked into the little room which Minerva had set up for the children for any times he was absent from Hogwarts. He laid Harry in one of the little beds. The movement and the loud noise caused the boy to stir fretfully.

“It’s all right, Harry,” Albus soothed, "Everything is fine. Shh”.

He placed a hand on Harry’s head and whispered a sleeping charm.

Returning to the other room, he found McGonagall wiping sweat off Severus’s very red face with a damp cloth.

“Here. Give him to me,” Albus said softly.

He took the child gently into his arms and the crying lessened slightly.

“Goodness me, Severus! You are very hot, aren’t you, my boy. Let’s see if we can’t cool you down a bit, mmm? Yes, I have you. It’s going to be all right, hush now”.

He sat down in a comfy chair and started to remove the child’s top. Severus only fussed a little at this.

“My poor boy,” he murmured softly, “My poor child. We shall get you better soon. Don’t fret”.

He turned to McGonagall, “Healer Barnes is still here. I invited him to join us for lunch but he wanted to take a stroll in the grounds beforehand. Perhaps you could fetch him and we’ll get him to look at Severus. I don’t think it is serious but it’s better to be safe than sorry”.

“Of course,” said McGonagall. She seemed glad to be able to do something.

Dumbledore waited with Severus still cradled in his arms. He was alarmed to note how much the toddler was shivering.

“Cold, Abus!” the child’s voice sounded hoarse.

“I know, my darling,” he answered tenderly, “Minerva has gone to get a Healer for you. They’ll be here very soon. You are being so brave”.

It was not long before they returned. James with a calming hand on McGonagall’s elbow. She had explained the symptoms to him on the way.

“Hello again, Headmaster,” he said warmly, “I understand you have a sick little boy you want me to look at”.

“Indeed,” Dumbledore replied, “Severus? Do you remember James? He came to see Harry today.

This was the Healer’s first proper look at the de-aged Severus. He had healed the grumpy Potions Master on many occasions and felt very protective of him. Seeing the beautiful, somewhat frail looking child he almost felt these instincts overwhelm him. Refocusing, James smiled warmly at Severus.

“Hello, little man,” he said, his voice burring pleasantly, “Would it be all right if I have a look at you?”

Severus regarded the Healer steadily for over a minute before surprising everyone, not least James, by whimpering and holding out his arms to him. Pushing his shock aside, James gathered the child close.

“Oh, my poor little thing. That’s quite a temperature you have. Isn’t it?” he ran a hand up and down the small back, scanning.

“104” he murmured and gently coaxed the toddler to open his mouth.

“It’s a throat infection, as I thought,” he continued, more to himself than the others. Severus whimpered again and twisted in his arms.

“Yes, I know. I know,” cooed James, “It is very sore, isn’t it, love. I am going to give you some medicine to make it feel better. Is that all right?”

Severus nodded and allowed the Healer to giving him two healing draughts, for his fever and his throat.

“Good boy,” James praised him, “You are such a little angel, aren’t you? Yes, close those eyes for me now. Time to rest, shh.”

Only when he became very drowsy did Severus cry for Dumbledore. James placed him carefully in Albus’s arms and the old Headmaster rocked and soothed him to sleep.