Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 7: Phoenix Child

The following summer the Reiner family once more hosted two new students however one was not muggleborn. Fenrir Grayson was a werewolf. He had been abandoned by his parents and had been found wandering the streets of London by the Aurors. He was only ten but Dippet was willing to give him a chance as Severus said he would provide the wolfsbane for him. The other was Paul Windsor, the son of one of Thomas Riddle's colleagues.  Thomas had seen the boy do magic and had explained to the boy's father what it was and had introduced them to the Reiner's.  Marcus also returned to spend the summer with the family.

Five more wizarding families agreed to host muggleborn students including John and Emily and Ian and his wife Jeanette.  There were some who thought the concept ridiculous and even scandalous. Ellidora Black had even asked the Wizengamot to ban the orientation programme however her petition was rejected.

Fortunately or unfortunately Ellidora died when her new house-elf gave her a pastry with cherries in it. The new house-elf did not know Ellidora was allergic to cherries and she died. Severus thought it was poetic justice as Ellidora had the day before chopped the head off her old house-elf because she had thought he was simply too old.  After she died no one openly challenged his ideas.

For Harry's eleventh birthday the boy not only had an amazing party but also the most amazing gifts. His birthday was a Wednesday but they actually had the party the Sunday before. Tommy cried when Severus told Harry he was to be given his own room and no longer would be in the nursery. Harry reassured Tommy that they would still be able to communicate mentally.

The morning of his birthday, Severus presented Harry with a box which contained a wand. Harry looked at it disappointingly. He had hoped that his dad would take him Ollivanders to get a new wand and not one that was second hand. Severus told him to hold it and to Harry's surprise the wand felt so familiar and so strong, he immediately knew it was the correct wand for him.  Severus still took Harry and Tommy to Diagon Alley for the day. It was originally supposed to be Severus and Harry only but Tommy cried and Harry asked for him to come along.  The others all understood.

They went shopping for robes, school equipment and books.  Harry did not need casual clothes as the family had spent two weeks on holiday in Paris before the summer started and Sarah and Severus had bought both Harry and Tommy brand new wardrobes. They had lunch in one of the most exclusive restaurants in Wizarding Europe. Unfortunately they ran into Albus Dumbledore who spoke to Severus and Harry but looked at Tommy with twinkling eyes.

After lunch they went to the apothecary. The man almost fainted when ‘The Severus Reiner' entered his establishment. They bought the standard potions equipment the store sold however did not buy any of the ingredients. The man was not insulted when Severus told Harry they had better quality stuff at home.

The final stop for the day was for an owl. Severus had told Harry no to taking the baby mamba snake that had been born in their serpentarium and Marvolo had given to Harry to care for. There was a beautiful snowy white owl that Severus was sure that Harry was going to choose. He was shocked when Harry didn't. Harry stood in the store and looked around for half an hour and then said "Dad I am sorry but none of these owls really speak to me."

Then a gypsy woman who had been in the store purchasing owl treats turned and looked at Harry. "That is because the one who has chosen you is not here" She said.

Severus looked at the woman; she was an old distinguished looking woman who had a light aura radiating from her. He gave her a nod and she smiled.

She turned to Harry and said "when everything is totally still and calm close your eyes and think of nothing but your magical core and when you are ready say; ‘he who calls to me, come to me, to be my protector, my guide, my friend and my companion in this life.' Tonight in your room do it. You may have your father help you but you alone must cast the magic." She then turned to Severus and said "Do not worry it is not what you fear."

Severus was praying it wasn't the blasted Basilisk.

That night in Harry's new room Severus made Harry sit on his bed. They practiced the occlumency techniques that Severus had been teaching Harry for some time. Severus showed him how to view his core.  Severus then stepped back and waited, after a few minutes Harry opened his hand and his wand which was on his bedside table went to his hand. The boy did not open his eyes. Severus felt the power radiating from the boy. Finally Harry started chanting, he said the words the gypsy told him to say several times before he lifted the wand.

Severus heard a strong hum coming from the wand which after a minute turned to phoenix song. Then Harry said the words once more. His voice was strong and powerful. "He who calls to me, come to me, to be my protector, my guide, my friend and my companion in this life."

There was a flash of light and a red and gold phoenix flashed in.  Harry looked at the bird in shock and amazement. Severus smiled and said "Hello Fawkes."

------

The McGonagall family came over and spent the first week of August and Minerva's brothers immediately went to the other boys. Severus smiled, Minerva had topped her year and was blossoming into a fine young woman. She loved Fawkes and would often follow Harry when the phoenix would be on his shoulder.

Sarah told Minerva it would be fine to go swimming, riding and climbing with the boys but the girl tried to be as lady-like as possible. It was only the week after when her parents had left and Severus and Sarah took all of the children on a hiking trip that Minerva relaxed.

The boys were all shocked to see Sarah climbing trees and jumping from tree to tree. She free climbed a cliff and was able to hunt and skin the rabbit they had for dinner.  Severus was amazed at his wife and remembered while she was a medical healer she was also an unspeakable. It was traditional that married women with children retire from their jobs; however she had retained her position on a freelance basis as unspeakable healers were hard to come by. 

Minerva was soon following Sarah and was climbing and swimming with the boys and Fawkes.

The person most taken with Sarah was her son Tom. Tommy looked at his mummy as if she was the most wonderful person in the world. She taught him how to climb and how to jump from branch to branch. She even helped him get a branch from a tree that was growing from the side of a cliff. He was going to make his broom from that branch. She was a wonder woman who after climbing the side of a waterfall, made chocolate milk and read him bedtime stories and sang him to sleep. Sarah was the best mummy in the world.

------

At nine pm on the 31st of August, Severus checked each of the boys; Fenrir was nervous and needed a dreamless sleeping potion.  Paul was neatly packed and already sound asleep. Marcus was reading a book (3rd year runes), Severus smiled and told him he had half an hour left. He then went to Harry's room and found it empty. Severus sighed and called Nip... Harry was not in the house.

Severus used the floo and went to Willow Castle, he walked down to the serpentarium and saw his son sitting next to the glass door entrance. A large boa was near the entrance and was obviously talking with Harry. Fawkes was on the railing on the other side of the room.

"You know it is bedtime Harry" Severus said and Harry looked up at him guiltily.

Severus went over and sat on the ground next to Harry, the boy looked up at him "Am I in trouble?"

Severus put his arm around him "not this time, you get a free pass."

Harry nodded and leaned into him, they were quiet for a few minutes and then Harry started talking. "I got a note a few days ago from one of the Professors... Professor Dumbledore. He said that he heard I had a phoenix as a familiar. He told me that it was a sign that I was Gryffindor bound. He said that Godric Gryffindor had a phoenix familiar and that once I came into his house that he would train me to be a proper warrior. The thing is dad, I am a Slytherin... at least I hoped I would be."

Severus saw a few tears roll down Harry's face "You want to be Slytherin?"

"Yeah to prove to Grandpa Marvolo that I am really worthy of his teaching and you know...being his grandson" Harry said.

"Grandpa Marvolo loves you Harry, you are his grandson in love and magic. Even if you get sorted into Gryffindor or even if you are in Hufflepuff, Marvolo will love you. Now I want to warn you Albus Dumbledore is a schemer and he to be honest I almost sent you to Beauxbatons because Albus was at Hogwarts. You are to be weary of him."  At first Severus had thought that without Grindelwald, Albus had changed but he found out Albus was using the apprenticeship programme and some of Severus other idea to get political mileage.  Severus had been around too long and knew Albus had not changed.

"Mini said he has a group of the best fighters. He is supposed to be training them to fight against the Dark Lord Todeskrieger from Germany" Harry said.

"Is Mini in that group?"

Harry shook his head "She said he told her she had real potential maybe this year or next year, she would have enough magic to become one of his protégées. She said I already had the power to join his group of griffins."

Severus shook his head "Harry you know what I do yes..."

Harry nodded "Yes... you and mum and Uncle John you are unspeakables."

"Yes and part of what we do is hunt dark wizards. We have trained for years, we have been professionally trained. I have been hunting dark wizards for well over twenty years. Uncle John has been at this for forever... mum well you've seen her. Harry, Dumbledore plays games, he likes the idea of being seen as this powerful light wizard but it's just games. What do you think eleven and twelve or even sixteen year olds could do.  It is wizards like Uncle John and me who will go after this German Death Warrior."

"But Fawkes came to me and..."

"Harry having a phoenix does not mean you are destined for Gryffindor" Severus said. "Nor does being a parselmouth mean you are destined for Slytherin House."

Harry looked at his dad. Severus continued "You are a brave warrior and I have seen you do many many things that would lead me to believe you could be a Gryffindor."

"Is that why Fawkes came to me?" Harry asked.

"No... phoenixes come to those who are strong in light magic. Phoenixes are not tied to the Hogwarts houses. Now Henri Reiner you also show very strong Ravenclaw tendencies. Ravenclaws are smart as a whip and love to learn new things; you are exceedingly intelligent and witty and look good in blue."

Harry giggled.

"You also show very strong Slytherin tendencies. You are a parselmouth and you have been trained in parselmagic and your heart calls here home just like Salazar did. Harry when you go tomorrow, I want you to listen to your heart and magic. Do not listen to anyone; definitely do not listen to Albus Dumbledore. When you go to be sorted ask to go to the house that will be the best house for you,  which might be Gryffindor or it might be Slytherin" Severus said.

Harry nodded "Karina says that I am a Slytherin phoenix warrior."

"Karina?"

"The boa"

Severus turned and looked at the large snake who was still listening.  "I will be proud of you no matter what house you are sorted into. Just be you."

Harry hugged him and held him tightly "can I come home if I don't like being at Hogwarts?"

"Of course, you can come home, you can call me... if you are in danger you can use Fawkes to come home or to call me" Severus said. "No matter what Harry, I love you, you are my son and wherever I am, if you ever need me I will drop everything to come to you. Do you understand that?"

"Yes dad... and I love you too" Harry said.

Severus hugged him and kissed the top of his head. "Let's go home son." Severus picked Harry up and held him in his arms, like he did when Harry was smaller.

-------

Severus gave Harry a final hug and a few knuts for the train, Sarah gave Harry a hug and tried one last time to flatten Harry's hair.  Tommy held on to Sarah's hand and gave Harry a rueful smile.  Harry and Tommy gave each other a hug and Severus saw Tommy nodding. Whatever was said between the two was said mentally.

Harry held his trunk and Fawkes flew on his shoulder. He turned and looked at his family once more and waved one last time.

Severus' heart leapt into his hand... In his mind he was thinking that he should have taken up the offer of being potions master, he should be next to Harry's side... He felt Sarah's hand slip into his. He looked at her.

"He will be fine, you did a good job raising him. Trust in him" Sarah said leaning into him. He smiled and nodded.

The eight year old Tommy looked up at his dad and said "I am still with you dad."

Severus picked him up and hugged him "Yes you are little cobra... yes you are."

------

Marcus, Fenrir and Paul were waiting on Harry and they all got on board. The train was already crowded but they were able to get a compartment together. Harry was on a look out for Reginald who came in five minutes before the train left.

"Finally" Harry said.

"My mum went into a panic this morning and told my dad she changed her mind and was going to home-school me" Regi said and Harry laughed.

"Be thankful you have parents who love and care for you" Fenrir said and Marcus nodded.

"Well my mum packed a set of gobstones, who wants to play?" Harry said and Marcus, Paul and Regi immediately moved to play.

An hour into the ride Minerva came over "Hi guys."

"Hi Mini, want to join us in some wizard poker?" Marcus asked as they started a new game.

"No... I have other things to do. I was wondering if Harry wanted to meet some friends of mine" Minerva said.

Harry looked at her and said "Minerva, I am not going to meet anyone who doesn't want to meet Regi or the other guys."

Minerva looked at him uncertain and then said "Harry come on it will be only a minute."

Harry shook his head "No thank you Mini."

Minerva walked off and then ten minutes later came back and said "Okay they could all come."

Harry looked at Regi who shrugged and Fenrir nodded, Paul said if they were going he would go. Marcus said he had a book to finish reading and politely declined. The four boys followed Minerva to the end of the train. She opened the door to a large compartment, where several Gryffindor students sat in a small group. Harry recognised Damien and Daniel Bones, Edgar Bones' sons. Damien had on the Headboy badge and Daniel had on a prefect's badge.

"Welcome... welcome future Gryffindor warriors, welcome" Damien said.

Harry stopped and glared at Minerva.

Damien and Daniel spoke on the glorious Godric Gryffindor and about the Order of Warriors whose job it was to protect the wizarding world. Harry saw Paul looking at Damien with awe and Fenrir looking at him with interest. Reginald however looked at Harry and had a ‘are you kidding me' look.

Then Harry felt someone tug at his mental shield, he looked around and did not see anyone who was looking directly at him. He stood up.

"Harry are you okay?" Damien asked in concern.

"My name is Henri and I need to use the loo... Regi coming?" Harry said and Reginald immediately stood up.

"Dobson why don't you show our new recruits where the bathrooms are" Daniel said.

Reginald started "We are not..."

Harry nudged him and shook his head.

Damien smiled "We expect you back in a few minutes gentlemen."

The large seventh year Dobson stood up and directed the two boys out.

"I need to get something from our compartment" Harry said as they almost reached the loo. Dobson held on to Reginald's shoulder.

"We will wait here for you" Dobson said.

Reginald looked at Harry and gave him the signal to run. Harry went to the compartment and in less than a minute told Marcus what happened. Marcus shook his head "Dumbledore's Order they are a rough bunch, they pretend they are fierce warriors but they are simply bullies. I had a lot of trouble last year when I used to visit Minerva, finally she told me to stop visiting. I thank Merlin I am not in his house. Listen I will get Regi, you lock the door behind me.

Five minutes later Marcus came back with a frightened Reginald.

"You okay?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, Dobson kept saying that the Order members were hand chosen and it was a privilege. Harry I think my mum was right, we should be home-schooled" Reginald said.

"Dad told me to be careful of Dumbledore" Harry said. Fawkes came over and sat on Harry's lap.

"I always wanted to be in Gryffindor like my dad but now I don't know" Reginald said.

"If you are a Gryffindor, don't let them scare you into somewhere where you shouldn't be. Miss Sarah told me last year that you are sorted into the best house magic wants you to be. A lot of people actually laughed when I was sorted into Ravenclaw and when I first heard about the houses I never expected to be anything but a Hufflepuff.  I had a great year last year with those in my house and Professor Flitwick helped me tremendously. If you are meant to be Gryffindor then go to Gryffindor, don't let others scare you into being less than you are meant to be" Marcus said.  Fawkes trilled as if agreeing with the boy.

Reginald and Harry nodded.

"We need to save the others Harry" Reginald said.

Harry nodded and thought about what his dad would do.

Five minutes later Harry and Reginald came back into the prefects' compartment but this time had Fawkes with them. Damien applauded them and called them true Gryffindors. Damien spoke on Godric's phoenix.

"Did Slytherin have a familiar as well?" Harry asked, petting Fawkes.

"Yes we are told it was a monster" Damien said.

"What kind of monster?" Harry asked.

"Well I assume some sort of snake" Damien said.

"All snakes are evil and should be killed" One student said.

"My grandpa is a Slytherin and a snake" Harry said sternly.

"Yes well that makes him evil" the student said.

Harry looked at Minerva who said nothing.  Harry stood up "I am sorry but its almost lunch, we have to go now, Fenrir, Paul... come on"

Reginald looked at Minerva "Coming Mini? Aunt Sarah packed lunch for you as well."

Minerva looked torn but Damien nodded and she went with them.

When they left Harry looked at Minerva and said "You know my Grandpa, you know my family, we are not evil."

"Yes but the phoenix came to you, that makes you different. You are destined to be a strong warrior, you are a Gryffindor at heart" Minerva said.

"I am sorry Minerva but if that is what you think after spending so much time with my family well then forget you" Harry said and walked off.

Neither Minerva nor any of the others bothered them for the rest of the train ride. Harry, Regi, Paul, Fenrir and Marcus talked a lot on the train ride to the school. When they exited the train, they saw Damien and Daniel exiting with their group. Minerva followed dutifully behind the two boys. Minerva turned and looked at Harry sadly. Harry turned from her but then turned back and looked at her and gave her a wink. Minerva smiled.

The caretaker Mr. Ogg called all of the first years and Marcus wished them luck and walked off to the horse drawn carriages. Mr. Ogg took the first years by boat, everyone gasped at the beauty of the castle. Harry looked at it and smiled but then there was a flash and he saw it all burning. He closed his eyes and then opened it and saw the beautiful castle once more. He shook his head.

Dumbledore stood waiting on them looking like a benevolent father figure. He spoke to them about the four houses, he mentioned that many of them would chose the house their family members wanted them in and then said that others (he looked at Harry) were chosen by magic for other houses and great destinies. Harry gave him a reassuring smile.

Dumbledore then nodded and opened the door to let them in.  Harry looked around at the beautiful Great Hall, there was a flash and he saw part of the ceiling destroyed, he closed his eyes and opened them again and saw the celebrating students again. 

In front of them was a hat. The hat looked so familiar yet... he had never seen it before.  Soon the sorting started.

The first of Harry's friends Fenrir was sorted and the werewolf was sorted into Slytherin. Harry clapped with the others. Soon Reginald's name was called. Harry looked at him and whispered "We would be best friends no matter what, choose the house best for you and no one else."

Regi nodded. Harry saw Dumbledore smile when the hat shouted Gryffindor. Harry clapped loudly. There were several people that Harry knew sorted into various houses and then finally it came his turn.

He heard Dumbledore announce his name "Henri Reiner".

As he went closer he heard Albus whisper to the hat "his familiar is a phoenix you know."

The hat was placed on Harry's head... "Interesting... I have never... you have a lot hidden away, well Gryffindor certainly suits you but..."

"[I am no one's pawn, you will place me where it will be best for me]" Harry said in parseltongue in his mind.

"The only ones who think in parseltongue are those destined for SLYTHERIN" the hat said, saying the last part out loud.

Albus removed the hat but gave Harry an angry glare "You are such a disappointment, if it were up to me your phoenix would abandon you."

"Well it is a good thing it is not up to you" Harry said boldly and walked off to the Slytherin table where he was warmly greeted. He looked over and saw Regi clapping him loudly. Minerva gave him a disappointed look. Marcus however had given him a standing ovation.

Harry looked on in excitement as he followed the prefects down to the dungeons. The entrance to Slytherin House was the fourth archway down a corridor made up of several archways with stone snake pillars. Harry saw the snakes on the pillars move and look at them. The prefect said the password "We are the children of Slytherin."

The place had a green glow that reminded Harry of the forbidden room near the serpentarium at home. There was a unique magic that was familiar and Harry stopped and took a breath "Yes, this is home."

The prefect looked at him and smiled "Yes this is your new home."

Harry heard a few snakes in the portraits calling to them and making comments, he laughed "yes this is so perfect."  Fawkes flashed in and rested on his shoulder.

"A phoenix... boy this is Slytherin how could you have a phoenix" a seventh year shouted.

"Send it away" another said.

Harry looked at them "No, he is mine, magic called him for me."

"Then you are not welcome here" another seventh year spat.

"[Really, well if Salazar Slytherin wants me out, he can tell me himself]" Harry said in parseltongue. Everyone gasped and looked at him in shock.

"[I do not want you out but I want you to behave yourself. If you think being a parselmouth is going to give you any special treatment, then you are sadly mistaken.  If anything I will expect more from you]" A voice said and Harry turned and looked at the portrait of a man in green and silver robes sitting on a throne.

Harry bowed low and said in English "I apologise if I was rude Lord Slytherin."

"You were not, go on and sit with your peers, little grandson" Salazar said.

Harry looked at him "[I am not your grandson; I am not a Slytherin by blood]"

"[But you are by magic, you are a parselmouth and Lord Slytherin calls you grandson that is all I care about.]"

"[Thanks Grandpa Sal]" Harry said and he and Fawkes went to sit next to Fenrir.

Salazar smiled.

Chapter End Notes:
Note: Todeskrieger - Death Warrior in German - Morfin's Dark Lord name.