Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 8: Hogwarts First Year
 Christmas came quickly and Harry, Fenrir and Marcus came home. Severus was horrified to find out that Minerva no longer associated with them and that Dumbledore was giving Harry a hard time. Severus just shook his head, the man had not changed. Dumbledore was still a manipulative bastard and it was obvious he was pushing the concept that Gryffindors were good and Slytherins were evil. When Harry told him that Damien and Daniel had tried on several occasions to take Fawkes away from him, Severus almost exploded and Sarah had to stop him from going over to Bones Manor.

Marvolo wanted to hear more about Salazar and the talks the portrait had with Harry. He had been surprised that Salazar referred to him as Lord Slytherin. Harry said that Salazar said that even though Marvolo was not magically powerful to claim the title, his actions (as told by Harry and from what Salazar had heard from others) made him worthy of the title.

Tommy was just happy that Harry came home and proudly showed him his finished broom. Harry and Tommy were in the air before the evening was out.

Christmas was fun however it was obvious that something was bothering Severus. That night Sarah asked him what was wrong. It took her a while but Severus eventually confessed that the turn Minerva had taken disturbed him. Sarah decided to go and speak to her.

Boxing Day they went to the McGonagall farm. Severus and the boys immediately went out onto the farm to help Sionn and his sons. Sarah sat with Maggie and Minerva.

"Minerva we were troubled when Harry told us that you no longer associate with him and that you think  that because he is in Slytherin House he is evil" Sarah said.

Maggie looked at Minerva horrified.

"Professor Dumbledore said that the Slytherins were destined for evil and that most of them supported the German Dark Lord and wanted to destroy muggleborns and the muggle world" Minerva said.

"You do know it was Severus who suggested the muggleborn orientation programme?" Sarah said.

"You and Uncle Severus are good. Professor Dumbledore said that you are natural Gryffindors and that it was for that reason why Harry's treason was so horrible" Minerva said.

Maggie looked at her daughter sternly and her lips went thin.

Sarah put down her tea cup. "My dear child when I attended Hogwarts I was a Ravenclaw and Severus... Severus is a Slytherin in nature. If he went to Hogwarts he would have been green from head to toe. Harry and Tommy grew up as Slytherins. As a matter of fact the man you call Grandpa Marvolo is the current Lord Slytherin. You have been to our castle; you have seen the serpentarium we have. You have lived with us, has there been any time when we have led you to believe we were evil or in any way dark?"

"Tommy speaks like a snake and frightened Marcus" Minerva said.

"Yes and he was spanked for frightening Marcus, it was a cruel prank and something neither Severus nor I would tolerate. However speaking parseltongue does not make one evil" Sarah said.

Maggie turned to her daughter. "Minerva it is the same prejudice as hating someone for being a witch. What do think would happen to you or us if the people in the village knew you were a witch? They would think us evil, you for being a witch and us for raising and loving you. Because someone is born with a talent it does not make them evil. I am really disappointed that your Professor is encouraging such hatred. The Reiner family have taken us into their home, into their lives. They have treated us with love and respect. They do not look down on us because we are not magical or because we are poor. They treat you like family. Minerva I do not know how you could even think of Harry or Tommy or any of the family as being evil. I always thought you were a smart girl, I am very disappointed in you" Maggie told her seriously.

Minerva burst into tears. 

Sarah put her hand on Minerva's shoulders. "I know how charismatic Dumbledore could be and how hard it would be if you openly go against him. However I want you to keep something in mind, it is something Severus says ‘it is not your blood, your magic levels or even the family you are born to that tells your character. It is the choices you make.' Being sorted in Slytherin house does not make a man evil. There are Gryffindors in Azkaban just as there are Slytherins. The last Dark Lord who terrorized the wizarding world, over a century ago was a Hufflepuff."

Minerva dried her tears and said "But Dumbledore said...."

Maggie stood up angrily. "I don't want to hear about anything Dumbledore has to say. Minerva the man is leading you down a path neither I nor your father will want you to go down.  We may be muggles but we have strong Christian values and I will not have you hating people who have shown us nothing but love and respect and who have helped us so much, just because someone tells you to. Minerva I want you to stop being part of this Order."

Minerva looked at her mother first angrily and then when she saw Sarah looking at her sadly, she sighed and nodded.

Sarah sighed "Minerva as your mother said we love you. I know Severus considers you his family. He was very hurt when Harry told him you did not want anything to do with him. It is why we decided to come and talk to you. Minerva we love you enough to come and talk with you. We don't want you hating us. We are not evil or dark or supporters of this mad Dark Lord."

Minerva nodded and hugged Sarah and apologised. Maggie nodded. Minerva then went and apologised to Harry and Severus. Severus gave her a hug and smiled.

Sarah smiled; she hoped it would be the end of this matter.

..............

Easter break Harry came home frustrated. He told Severus he almost regretted going into Slytherin House. He told him that Dumbledore was now giving him detentions every week most of the time for just breathing in class. Severus snorted remembering how the man used to scold him for supposedly given detentions for no reason.  Though he remembered Harry in class and he knew that the boy could really be a handful.

"Dad last week he gave me a detention for reading Regi's Quidditch book. He told me that he did not believe a Gryffindor like Regi would willingly lend me his book. He knows Regi is my friend. He has been giving Regi and Mini a hard time as well. I heard one of the fifth years call Regi a blood traitor for talking to me. If I had just gone into Gryffindor all of this would not have happened" Harry said with a sigh.

"If you had gone in Gryffindor, he would have had you doing all sort of dangerous tasks to prove you were a warrior. Dumbledore wants you as his pawn... you and Fawkes. I am glad you are not in Gryffindor" Severus said.

"Last week Regi got a midnight detention in the Forest for being out after curfew. He had to find some stupid flower that was high up in a tree. It was so unfair. I mean Glenda and Hector were out after curfew as well and he only gave them to write fifty lines. I told Regi to write his dad and complain but he said he would look like a coward. Dad Dumbledore is only doing that to him because he is my friend" Harry said angrily. He did not tell his dad that he followed Regi and helped him get the flower.

Severus sighed and mentally told himself he would talk to John.  He held Harry tightly and asked him if he wanted Dumbledore to disappear.

Harry giggled.

"I am serious. I know places we could dump him and no one would ever find him" Severus said and Harry laughed but shook his head.

"I don't think I want to stain my soul because of him. Karina told me that Dumbledore was the real coward and that I was a light wizard and the best revenge I could get on him was to prove to others that he was wrong. She told me that if I stooped to his level I would prove him right and that Fawkes would not want me to become that way" Harry said holding on to his dad.

Severus nodded and said "Karina is very smart... now should I ask when you spoke to her?"

Harry looked at him horrified and blushed. Severus raised his eyebrow and Harry told him softly that sometimes when things get to much Fawkes takes him home and he would talk to Karina.

Severus sighed and rubbed his temples. Harry bit his lip. Severus took a deep breath and said "I know I told you that you could come home when things got hard but Harry I meant in an emergency. If anyone were to find out you could be suspended or even expelled. I would prefer if you find someone in Hogwarts to talk to. What about Salazar's portrait?"

"I don't know Dad. Whenever I speak parseltongue the others look at me like some great hero or something. I don't like speaking parseltongue in the common room anymore" Harry said.

"When I was in school, I found writing in a diary helped" Severus suggested.

"Dennis had a diary and this git Benji from forth year saw him writing in it and took it away and started reading parts of it out loud. It was really embarrassing dad" Harry said. He did not tell his dad he punched Benji and took the diary away and gave it back to Dennis.

"If you write in parselscript no one could read it" Severus said and Harry nodded. "Now Harry I want you take Karina's advice. Remember that you are a powerful wizard and it is the choices we make in life that defines who we are. If you let Dumbledore get to you he will turn you into a dark wizard. Ask Fawkes to help you and held guide you. You remember the chant you did to get Fawkes, you called for a protector and guide..."

"And a friend and companion" Harry said.

"Yes, trust in magic. Fawkes is there to help protect and guide you and be your friend. Trust in magic and trust in Fawkes" Severus said.

Harry nodded that made sense. He would also ask Fawkes to protect Regi and Minerva as well. He hugged his father. Severus hugged him and then gave him a stinging swat on his bum.

"Oww what was that for?" Harry said rubbing his bum.

"For being out after curfew, for sneaking into the Forest and for fighting with Benjamin McNair" Severus said knowingly.

Harry looked at his father in awe; how did he know.

...........

Harry returned to Hogwarts in a much better mood that when he left. He, Regi, Fenrir and Marcus shared a compartment on the train. Fenrir looked terrible; it had been full moon the night before. Sarah had suggested he stay home and sleep and said they would take him by carriage from Willow Castle. Fenrir begged to go with Harry and Regi and Marcus assured Sarah he would get him to sleep on the train.

There was some trouble on the train. The Gryffindor ‘Order' had loudly indicated that Fenrir was a werewolf who was a danger to them. A few Gryffindors had pulled out their wands but Harry called Fawkes who rested on Fenrir's shoulder and glared threateningly at anyone who got close. Harry smiled his dad was right, with Fawkes on their side the Gryffindors backed down.

Damien and Daniel looked at Fawkes horrified; Harry knew it troubled them seeing Fawkes defending the Slytherins, especially Fenrir who they called dark. Harry loudly said that phoenixes were creatures of light and if Fawkes was defending Fenrir against them what does that say about them.  The others backed down.

May came around and with it came the annual defence competition. The Defence Against the Dark Arts Teacher Professor Merrythought had a duelling competition which was separated into different categories. Harry eagerly signed up for the lower school category in both wands and swords.

On the final day for signing up Professor Merrythought asked Reginald why he hadn't signed up. Harry looked at his friend. Regi looked sick.

"I... I am not good enough ma'am" Regi said.

"What nonsense you are one of the best fighters I know" Harry said loudly.

"We had an in-house trial and Lestrange lost every match, including with Glenda who is a girl" one of the other Gryffindors said. The other Gryffindors laughed and Regi lowered his head.

The Professor looked at him and with a sigh said "I think you should still try."

Regi shook his head "No professor I will not want to embarrass my house."

Harry looked at Regi, he really was not looking well. After class he went to talk with him but the boy looked at him with fear and ran off. It bothered Harry for the rest of the day.  He took out his diary and wrote for over an hour.

The next day the duelling competition started (next weekend would be the swords). The competition ran for two days. The first day was preliminaries and the next day the finals. There were seven categories: Years 1 to 3s, Years 4 and 5, NEWT Level and open categories. Boys and girls were in different categories except for the open category.

Harry quickly defeated his opponents, he saw the Gryffindors looking at him angrily. Harry was a skilled fighter and in fact when it came to duelling the only one who would normally have a chance would be Reginald. He was thinking about his friend when the third year Gryffindor he was fighting saw his distraction and cast an illegal curse which sliced the tendon in his wand hand.  Filius Flitwick who was refereeing the match called an immediate disqualification.

The young Gryffindor said he did not mean to hurt Harry, he thought that Harry would have stepped aside. Dumbledore said it was an unfortunate accident and told the boy there would be no punishment.

Filius looked at Harry "Mr Reiner I am sorry but this looks really bad, you will have to retire..."

Harry shook his head and called Fawkes who immediately came and shed a few tears on the open wound. Harry smiled as the wound healed. He rolled his wrist a bit and said "See professor good as new."

Filius smiled and told him that he still needed to get the medi-witch's approval. The Medi-witch an old witch by the name of Florence, magically tested the boy and said he was perfectly fine.  Harry looked over at the Gryffindors and gave them a wink.

The next day the Gryffindors fought fiercely and dirty. Harry however had been duelling with his father and Grandpa for years, both would often use dirty tricks when fighting him. The finals was between Harry and the top third year Gryffindor Bilius Weasley. The red head looked at him with hatred. Harry looked at the boy and saw another red head. He shook his head confused. The boy taunted him and Harry kept shaking his head, he saw the boy in front of him but it wasn't him.

"Ron?" Harry said.

"Calling your poof lover" Bilius said with a smirk.

Harry shook his head and fought. He lost the match but was praised by all but the Gryffindors. Professor Merrythought told him not to feel badly, he came in second but to a contestant who was two years older and that in all her years never did a Year 1 do so good. The Slytherins were proud of the little first year who had come in second. Harry laughed as they lifted him up on their shoulders.  Harry's eyes looked at his hands, was there a golden egg? He shook his head.

The next week passed by quickly and most were preparing for the sword fighting competition. Harry wrote every night in his journal.  Regi kept avoiding him, this week more than before. On Friday he called to him and Regi looked like he did not even see him.

The next morning, Harry sat looking at his sword. Regi had given him that sword. He sighed... he could not do this. He went to Professor Merrythought and told her he wanted to withdraw. The Gryffindors taunted him but Slughorn told him it was okay, that sword fighting was something that you had to do with a clear mind and real accidents happened when you were not focused. Harry went and sat in the stands next to Fenrir (who could not take part in any of the competitions due to his unnatural strength).

Harry sat and looked on as Marcus fought. He was proud of Marcus who had really done a great job. Marcus lost on the first day but was the most successful in the second years. The finals were among the third years. Harry could not eat that night. The next day he did not even go to the competition but walked along the lake with Fawkes. A few of the Gryffindors cornered him but he raised his hands and Fawkes picked him up and flew off with him. Harry went and sat on top of the North Tower and sat in tears. Reginald's abandonment had really hurt. Harry felt a deep pain that seemed deeper than Regi. Fawkes sat next to him and trilled sadly.

Harry moped around the school and finally in the last week of May, Fawkes decided he would do something. Fawkes went to Regi who sat in the Gryffindor common room. There was a flash of green and Fawkes screeched when he was hit. Damien chuckled and picked up the phoenix chick.

"Now phoenix we will let you re-grow to be a proper familiar for a real light wizard" the boy said.

Regi looked at the scene in a daze. Minerva bit her lip, she had not been openly against Harry but had not followed her mother's instructions; she still attended the meetings with the Order. She did not agree that Slytherins were evil but she still liked the idea of becoming a warrior fighting Dark Wizards. This however was not fighting evil, this was wrong. She waited until the coast was clear and went down to the Slytherin dungeons.

.............

Severus, Sarah and Tommy sat eating dinner. Severus chuckled when he heard Sarah scolding Tommy for not eating his broccoli. Tommy had become quite a handful in the past few weeks and Severus had to spank him a few times for his complete disrespect and rudeness to them all. Marvolo had made a new naughty chair (something he had when the boys were really small and had actually grown out of) which Tommy had spent hours in. Tonight the boy had been very quiet and just ignored them all.

Then Tommy dropped his fork and just stared at Severus. Sarah was about to scold the boy again but Severus put his hand over her's and just shook his head.  It was obvious to Severus that something was wrong. He knew most of Tommy's expressions (having known the boy both now as his son and before as Lord Voldemort) and this one was one of fear and panic.  Two minutes later, tears started rolling down the boy's face.

"Tom?" Severus said in alarm.

Tommy looked at him "Its Harry dad, the Gryffindor boys they attacked Fawkes when he went to help Regi. They turned him into a chick and stole him. They took Fawkes away from Harry dad."

Severus looked at Tommy and said "The Gryffindor boys would this be Damien and Daniel Bones?"

"Damien dad... dad Harry said he is going to fight them. Dad Harry is feeling really really angry" Tommy said.

Severus stood up and said "I am going to Hogwarts."

Sarah stopped him and asked the little boy "Why did Fawkes need to help Reginald?"

"I don't know but Harry is really worried about him. Says he is failing his work and came last in an in-house duelling match and he runs away from Harry and he looks scared and dazed and sick all the time" Tommy said.

Sarah looked at Severus. Severus looked at Tommy "Since when?"

"Since after Easter holidays" Tommy said.

"Okay, I am going to call John" Severus said.

Sarah shook her head "We are calling in the corps. Nip" Sarah called the house-elf who came immediately. "Ask Marvolo if he could come and sit with Tommy, tell him it is an emergency."

The house-elf nodded and popped out.

Tommy looked at his parents and did not know who looked more scary, his dad whose face looked like he was going to kill or his mum who was glowing.

...........

Harry was in a rage and was almost to Gryffindor tower when he stopped. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

Fenrir and Marcus looked at him. Marcus asked him "Harry what is the matter?"

Harry looked at him and smiled and said "Reinforcements are on the way."

............

Harry walked straight to the portrait of the Fat Lady. He did not know how he knew where the Gryffindor dorm was, he just knew. The lady in the portrait just looked at him "You will not get in here without the password."

Harry closed his eyes... he started calling out passwords. He did not know how he knew them, he just knew. He saw her curious look and then a nod when he called the right one. She opened the door.

He walked in wand drawn. All of the Gryffindors looked at him.

"How did you get in here snake" a fifth year said.

"I am here for my familiar. One of you has him and I want him" Harry said coldly.

A group of seventh years came out "We have nothing that does not belong to Gryffindor House, little snake. Go back to the hole you crawled out from."

"I am here for my phoenix and if I do not get him back, you will rue the day you messed with me" Harry said coldly.

"And what are you going to do?" Damien said "Call your uncle the Dark Lord Todeskrieger. Didn't think we'd find out. Your uncle is the heir of Slytherin and your grandfather is Lord Slytherin. You are evil incarnate and it is our job as Gryffindors to protect those who are light."

"Fawkes chose me... not you, you thief. You will give me back my phoenix or I am going to bring you up on charges of theft" Harry said boldly.

Dumbledore walked in the dorm room "Mr. Reiner you will leave here immediately or be expelled."

"Expel me if you wish but I will not be leaving here without my phoenix" Harry said.

"Your phoenix has abandoned you and has chosen one who is worthy" Dumbledore said "Now leave."

Harry had tears in his eyes "Fawkes will never abandon me."

"Call to him... call him and see if he comes" Dumbledore said.

Harry closed his eyes and then called Fawkes. But the bird did not come, Harry forgot the bird was still a chick and would not be able to flash. However Daniel Bones who was in his brother's room was having a hell of a time controlling the angry chick.

Dumbledore smirked "You see, your familiar has abandoned you. Phoenixes only go to wizards of light and you are..."

"Are what Albus Dumbledore?" A cold voice said.

Albus turned and saw a dark robed unspeakable standing in the door way. The Headmaster was almost hidden behind the tall man. The Headmaster came in as did about twenty five unspeakables all who were radiating power. The unspeakables circled the room. The students except Harry (and Regi who was not registering anything that was happening) all got scared.

Headmaster Dippet looked at Albus and said "The unspeakables came in a few minutes ago, said they got a report of dark magic being done in the school."

Damien looked at them and said "You are looking in the wrong house. You should be in the dungeons."

"Really" A thin tall vampire looking unspeakable said and she passed her wand over Regi... "And you would like to tell me that a Slytherin put confundus spells, repulsion spells and magic blocking spells on this lad?"

The unspeakable in the lead started glowing in anger.

Damien looked at her and said "he is friends with that snake." Damien gestured to Harry.

"Why would Mr. Reiner put a repulsion spell on his best friend against Slytherins?" Shadow said coldly.

"I don't know, he is a snake, who knows how they think" Damien said.

"They are ambitious and clever and are fiercely loyal. Mr. Reiner more so than others, he would die to protect those he considers family; Mr. Lestrange and his familiar Fawkes including" Aconite said.

"They messed with Regi and now he has stolen Fawkes" Harry screamed.

Aconite put up his hand and Harry knew it was his father's signal for him to not interfere.

"The phoenix has abandoned him" Dumbledore said with a smirk. "Phoenixes are great creatures of light and the bird has realised his error in not going to a light wizard."

"And Mr. Reiner is a dark wizard?" Aconite said.

"His uncle is the Dark Lord Todeskrieger" Albus said with a smirk.

Fisher went up behind Albus and said in a whisper "And your lover is the Dark Lord Grindelwald and Todeskrieger's right hand man or more precisely Morfin is Grindelwald's right hand man."

Albus looked at the man horrified.  Aconite went up to Albus "be careful where you tread Albus Dumbledore because you will not know what you will step in."

Shadow looked at him and said coldly "You don't know what waits in the shadows. You play in the dark but there are those of us who hunt those who go into the dark."

"You attack the little ones but these are not orphans Albus Dumbledore. You attack one of ours and we fight back. If you do not back off you will be fighting us all" Aconite said. He saw the fear in Albus' eyes.

Fisher whispered something in Albus' ear that even Aconite and Shadow did not pick up but the man suddenly looked terrified.

Shadow nodded and picking up Reginald left the room.

Aconite looked at Harry and said "Call your familiar to you."

Harry took a breath and called Fawkes.

Aconite shook his head and said "That is not what you were taught by magic, was it?"

Harry shook his head as he understood. He closed his eyes and cleared his mind. Every one saw him take out his wand. Harry was silent and then his wand started humming and phoenix song filled the air. The students and Dumbledore all gasped in shock.  Harry then called out in a strong and powerful tone "he who calls to me, come to me, to be my protector, my guide, my friend and my companion in this life."

There was a tiny squawk and the baby phoenix came in a burst of light. Harry opened his eyes "Fawkes what did they do to you?"

"Damien hit him with a green beam and turned him into a baby" Minerva said bravely.  A few others nodded.

"A green beam... red eyes... cold laugh" Harry said quietly and Aconite looked at him sharply.

"Green beam! You cast a killing curse in front of students?" Fisher said sharply.

The Headmaster looked at the Headboy.

"I... the phoenix should have come to me I am a Gryffindor Warrior. I am the Hogwarts duelling champion. It is my right as a wizard of light. There was a spell on the phoenix" Damien said without real conviction. Severus saw the boy looking at Harry and it was obvious from the expression on his face that he was going through some internal conflict.  Daniel came in and stood by his brother's side.

"You attacked and stole the phoenix" Aconite said.

"We did not steal him. He came here to Gryffindor Tower of his own free will, he knew something was wrong and someone was forcing him to remain in the dungeons. The snake he put a spell on the phoenix to remain with him. We freed the phoenix" Daniel said.

"Do you have proof Mr. Reiner had a spell on the phoenix" Headmaster Dippet said.

"He is a Slytherin and a parselmouth, what more proof do you want than that" Daniel said giving Dumbledore a quick look. Damien however was still looking at Harry with the phoenix chick in his hands.

Fisher went to the boy and asked him to see his wand. Dumbledore shook his head but Dippet told him he had to. Fisher took the wand and cast the spell to show what spells had last been cast. Fisher looked on as the third spell was the Killing Curse. Damien was immediately arrested. Dippet shook his head.

Albus looked at the unspeakables and glared. Daniel called the Order to defend his brother but no one came to his aid. Daniel tried to attack but Aconite simply raised his hand and disarmed him in a second. Daniel gasped as the unspeakable wandlessly and silently took his wand.

"We are trained dark wizard catchers boy, you are no match for us" Aconite said. The black robed wizard then looked up at the students "We know you are anxious to prove yourselves but you are still young. The real warriors train for years before even going out to fight. You can learn to defend yourselves but do not rush to war. War is not for children. If you want to be true warriors, work hard in school and when you leave, join the Auror Corps where you would really be trained."

Fisher turned to the Headmaster and said "We will contact Chief Bones, it would be the polite thing to do. We will also contact Lord Lestrange and Potions Master Reiner. The lad Lestrange will probably not be returning for the rest of the term. If there are any more hints of dark magic being used on students we will be returning."

Fisher looked at Albus, as did Aconite. Aconite growled and said "You can be assured of that."

The unspeakables all moved around the Head of Gryffindor and the wizard felt their anger. Albus was not an idiot... the unspeakables all had glamours on their faces and voices, but he knew one of them was most likely John Lestrange and the other Severus Reiner. He had made a grave error... he did not know the two boys were so protected. He would have to formulate a new plan. Gillert would be angry with him again, he knew his Order was collapsing and it would be hard to continue pegging the Slytherins as dark if the Reiner boy had a phoenix and a wand that produced phoenix song.

He sighed, he would just have to wait. Tom was the true heir of Slytherin, Morfin was useful but not powerful. They still couldn't get the vaults... Gillert needed those vaults... he needed what was inside the vaults. Albus looked on as the Reiner boy left with the phoenix. He saw Daniel sobbing for his brother. The idea then came to him. Henri and Tom were brothers, not by blood but through adoption. They would not have that real magical bond brothers had... he should be able to use one against the other.

Henri may have been sorted into Slytherin but he was a Gryffindor at heart. The fact he had a phoenix and he came up in the middle of Gryffindor territory to fight for the phoenix proved he was Gryffindor. It must have been some sort of misguided family loyalty that made him want to go to Slytherin house. Tom on the other hand was the heir of Slytherin, his familiar was most likely a snake. He was the truly evil one. Albus nodded. Tom would come to Hogwarts in less than two years. He would lie low until then. He would use the two brothers against them. In the end he would get the phoenix for himself and Gillert would get the treasures of Slytherin.