Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Gryffindor Approach

In his usual corner in the back, Snape stood with his arms crossed. He forced his face to remain neutral. However, he wanted nothing more than to destroy everything in the headmaster's office. That interfering coot had yet to leave him alone about Harry. Yes, they had discovered the boy was his, not James Potter's son, upon the boy's arrival to Hogwarts. However, it was not as if he could openly claim the boy as his son. The backlash would be horrific. For that reason, Snape was annoyed yet again with his employer's behavior. Merlin only knew what tactic the man was going to use now.

When his co-workers slowly filtered into the room, Snape's eyes narrowed. What in Merlin's name was going on now? He could see the confusion on some of their faces. It was after all rare that Dumbledore would call his staff into his office. His stomach dropped when a grave-faced Poppy and a somber Pomona Sprout, Head of Hufflepuff House, led in Minerva, who appeared dead to the world.

Snape had been down in the dungeons brewing an improved version of Felix Felicitous. Not for himself, obviously, but according to his latest Potions missive, researchers were trying to find a way to make the potion last longer. Of course, never once having taken up a challenge and failing when brewing, he made sure he was isolated from all distractions, including meddlesome headmasters, to keep his streak alive. He hadn't heard the news so he didn't understand the witches' reactions.

"Thank you for arriving so promptly," the uncharacteristically frail Albus Dumbledore spoke as he strode through the crowd towards his desk. "Some of you no doubt are wondering why you are here." His blue eyes twinkled, not from happiness this time but from unshed tears. "Little more than an hour ago, an unknown assailant attacked Misters Malfoy and Potter in the Forbidden Forest."

"What the hell were they doing in the goddamn forest, Albus?" Snape snarled. Various objects around the room rattled violently as he barely, just barely reigned in his famous temper. A nearby mirror unfortunately must not have received the memo because it shattered within seconds. "Answer me. What were they doing in the Forbidden Forest, Headmaster?" His voice was deathly quiet as he spoke.

Dumbledore turned his somber blue eyes onto Snape and sighed. Remorse was in every wrinkle in his face. The wizened wizard hung his head before answering the young wizard.

"S'all my fault, Perfessor," Hagrid interrupted, wiping the tears from his face. "Should've stuck together, but I thought maybe we'd be able to cover more ground that way, so I broke us up inter smaller groups." He then blew his nose loudly into his handkerchief.

"No, Hagrid. The fault rests with me," Dumbledore replied to soothe the giant. However, his words only managed to make Snape's temper increase. "I'm afraid that it was my suggestion that the students had detention with Hagrid this evening. But I assure you, Severus, that had I known this would occur, I would not have done so."

"Easy to say now, isn't it, old man?" Snape growled, glaring at Dumbledore. "Just how bad are Misters Potter and Malfoy hurt?"

"Unfortunately, only Mr. Potter was harmed, Severus."

"Oh, but of course he was," Snape sneered. His son was becoming an even bigger menace than before. The troll experience raised his blood pressure sky-high when he, Minerva, and Quirrell stumbled upon the three Gryffindors and an unconscious fully-grown mountain troll in the girls' lavatory. The broomstick adventure nearly gave him heart failure as he watched his son's broom fling him around like a ragdoll from the stands. And now there was this, whatever this was.

"Tomorrow's classes will be canceled," Dumbledore replied, pointedly ignoring Snape's snide comment. "I would like each of you to make yourselves available for the students." He then glanced towards the dark curly haired witch who stood near the back and opposite side of Snape. "Professor Sinistra, I'd appreciate it greatly if you made yourself available for the Slytherins."

"Unless I am mistaken, I am the Slytherin Head of House, am I not, Headmaster?" The burning desire to strangle the old coot was definitely underneath his every word.

"You are, Severus."

"Then forgive me, Headmaster." Sarcasm laced his words with the usual vitriol he reserved only for Hufflepuffs. "But I fail to see your reasoning for asking a JUNIOR professor and RESERVE Head of House to take a duty typically meant for the SENIOR professor and ACTUAL Head of House."

"Considering that Harry is your son with Lily, I had assumed you'd be by your son's bedside."

That one little line took all the wind right out of Snape. He stood there ramrod. Up until that point only he, Dumbledore, and Pomfrey had known about Harry's paternity. Now, the insufferable coot informed every single staff member at Hogwarts that he was Harry's father. At that moment, he wanted nothing more than to kill Albus Dumbledore. He thought about casting the Ultimate Unforgivable in front of all his coworkers. He was that ticked. How dare that lemon drop lunatic inform the staff of something so personal? He had NO right!

Snape glared at Dumbledore with the most murderous glare he had before shaking his head. Only because of the others did he not kill Dumbledore. However, in his mind, the man died in every horrible way imaginable. Snape's black robes billowed behind him as he whirled around, briskly walking out of Dumbledore's office and making sure to slam the door behind him.

~FTT~

An hour later, after Snape had calmed himself back down, he walked into Madam Pomfrey's office in the hospital wing. He brushed off her look of sympathy. He barely knew his son so there was no need for it. The sad part was that Harry didn't even know that Snape was the boy's father. It was the way Snape had wanted it, though. He could protect the boy from afar without that horrible closeness that had cost him in the end Lily.

"Madam," Snape spoke softly.

"Are you here to see Harry then?"

"No." His voice was devoid of its usual malice. "I only wish to learn of his injuries."

"Severus," Pomfrey started to say before her voice cracked. "Severus, I'm sorry." In efforts to keep the tears at bay, she closed her eyes. But it didn't help. The tears still fell. "I'm afraid that he won't make it through the night."

"His injuries are that severe?"

"He lost a tremendous amount of blood, Severus. No amount of Blood Replenishing potion can make up for that." She then shook her head. "His core is completely destroyed. So, if he does somehow manage to pull through, he won't have any magic."

"You're certain?"

"Well, obviously, there are options for him to keep his magic. However, there also are rather dangerous drawbacks to such options. No sane person in his or her right mind would even attempt it."

"I see."

"Severus, no one will think differently if you sit with him."

"Do not. Do not try to reason with me, Pomfrey." Snape then sighed at her look. "Allow his friends to sit with him. They know him more than I do."

"And what about you, Severus?" she challenged. "Must I truly go through this again? It was bad enough the first time." She then shook her head. "Do you have any idea what went through my head when I received that message that night? I admit. At first, I didn't believe her. When I saw you, though, attempting anything and everything that someone could remotely construe as dangerous, well, I nearly fainted. Severus, you have no idea how many people here care for you. I do not wish to see you travel down that dark road again."

"I will not, Madam," he replied quietly. Snape didn't need any more reminders about that time. He still remembered the fresh heartbreak from learning that the Dark Lord had murdered his beautiful Lily. He knew quite well the damage he had inflicted on others.

"Severus, if you're trying to placate me—"

"I am doing no such thing. Good day, Madam." Once again, he whirled around and walked out. He couldn't deal with everyone treating him like this. He barely even knew the boy. And all he did know was that he scared the hell out of him when they had Potions together. He didn't deserve to be by his son's side.

Hell, Harry probably would haunt him forever if he learned the truth just before he passed away. Snape knew that was what he'd do if the roles were in reverse. After all, he would forever be altering the boy's thoughts about his identity. It was best to let his son continue to believe that he was James's son, not his. At least this way there weren't those awful 'Why didn't he tell me' or 'Didn't he love me' questions. Yes, yes, it was better this way for both of them.

~FTT~

Slinking out of the shadows in Pomfrey's office, Aurora drew in a deep breath. She had only meant to speak with Pomfrey about her concerns in regards to Severus. She hadn't meant to witness such an intimate moment between him and Pomfrey. Though, she knew he hadn't noticed strangely enough. He obviously had lots on his mind.

"I trust you'll keep this between us, Professor?"

"Of course, Madam," Aurora replied quietly, "if you'll excuse me." She didn't wait for Pomfrey's response before leaving. Her own mind reeled from the previous conversation. Harry was Severus's son with Lily. Of course, she learned that earlier, but his son was dying. That was certainly new. She couldn't believe it, though. Well, obviously, she could believe that Severus had been with Lily. The poor wizard had been hopelessly in love with the redhead witch for years. However, the fact that Harry was dying now, that ate at her. Severus didn't need any more loss in his life. He had already experienced enough to make a sane person want to die.

Walking into the main part of the Infirmary, Aurora's dark eyes glance towards the small cot where Harry lay. It wasn't fair. It wasn't fair that Severus had everything that could go wrong happen to him. He deserved to have a happy life. She always thought so. Then again, she had been crushing on him since she first saw him at her Sorting Ceremony in 1972.

Just like that, an idea clicked. It was a crazy idea. Aurora had heard it from Pomfrey herself. No sane person would ever consider an option like that. She drew in a deep breath. Staring at the pale boy lying in that bed, she pushed her Slytheriness to the side. Severus didn't deserve to lose his connection to Lily like this, not when Aurora could help. She may have disliked the witch due to that familiar jealousy issue between them, but she loved Severus. And she'd do anything for him . . . even this.

Glancing over her shoulder, Aurora made absolute certain no one would interfere. She then walked towards Harry. He was so translucent that it was as if death had already taken him. Bending down, she carefully picked the young boy up and held him tightly in her arms. It was the only way this would work. One hand was on his back, and the other pushing his head against her chest. She closed her eyes and held the small little boy that she knew was Severus's child. She focused every ounce of her magic, her life and poured it into the young boy. As it drained her, she kept holding onto Harry as if she wouldn't ever let him go. She had to be sure this worked. There would be no going back if she made a mistake. They'd both die then instead of this option.

Aurora softly laughed as she felt the tears slide down her cheeks. Maybe she was supposed to be a Gryffindor after all. Only Gryffindors sacrifice their lives for others. Slytherins care only about themselves. At least, that was common thought. Her vision started to blur, which meant she had a few moments left before she completed it. She calmly set the young boy back down onto his cot and gently pressed a kiss against his forehead. Even though he was Lily's son with Severus, a part of Aurora would have always called him hers if she'd had the chance to be with him later in their lives.

The last bits of magic and life then flowed into Harry. For Severus, Aurora would give her life for his son. And she was giving her life. All of it to the small little Gryffindor that had his mother's eyes and Severus's face, except the nose. It was there. Severus's face was there if only one removed the damn glasses from the boy.

~FTT~

A few seconds later, Poppy slowly walked out of her office to check on poor Harry. Her hand went to her chest instantly when she watched Professor Sinistra suddenly collapse onto the floor. Quickly, she rushed to the scene, thinking the poor witch only fainted from the sight. However, when she ran her scans, she noticed the completely drained core and barely registering heart rate. She definitely was not expecting to find this. What in Merlin's name was the witch trying to do that caused this? Something interrupted her search for answers, though.

Soft groans in the cot beside her nearly made her jump out of her skin. There should not be any sounds coming from that cot. She brushed back her fears that the poor young boy was now suffering as he succumbed to his injuries. After all, she had a duty to make him as comfortable as possible. With an anesthetic spell on her lips, she glanced towards the sounds and gasped. Two green eyes full of life were staring back at her, belonging only to young Mr. Potter.