Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, so I was listening to "Everybody loves me" song on YouTube while writing this. So I apologize for the happiness/absurdity that came out in the chapter. I quote several well-known lines from shows and movies. Again, apologies, but enjoy. :D
Remembrances

After Madam Pomfrey released him late that afternoon, Harry found himself walking into Professor Snape's quarters with the older wizard by his side. Once Harry had seated himself onto the sofa, Snape attempted to make the Gryffindor more comfortable. The young boy watched his professor silently fluff a pillow before placing it gently behind Harry's head. At that time, Harry's flinching hadn't been too noticeable at the man's movements.

A few seconds later, however, when Snape's fingers accidentally brushed his neck, Harry flinched horribly and even attempted to mold himself into the sofa in attempts to get away from the man. Thankfully, Snape instantly drew back from Harry, but his dark eyes remained on the vulnerable child with an unfamiliar expression on his face. One could make the case that it was concern in the man's rich obsidian orbs, but the person probably wouldn't last long if Snape found out.

Hoping the man would just brush off his flinching so he didn't have to answer back that he didn't know, Harry stared at the man in a silent staring contest. Strangely enough, Snape was the first to break away. He honestly didn't know why he was flinching so badly. He was rather convinced that he never flinched this horribly around Snape before. What possibly could have changed?

"You should rest as much as possible."

"Yes, sir," Harry quietly replied. He eyed the man ever so carefully. He didn't know how to describe it, but he was uneasy with the man still standing. Only when Snape finally sat down in an armchair across from him did young Harry relax. It felt odd being in the Potion master's domain. Though, Harry had to admit that the wizard's rooms were not what he had thought it'd be.

The rooms were bright with light from numerous torches on the walls. It gave Snape's quarters a sort of warmth to it that Harry wouldn't have expected, considering they were in the creepy dungeons. There were four large bookcases against the far wall. Strangely enough, not one case had a book in it. Hung above the lit fireplace was a large empty portrait with a silver frame. For furniture, Snape had a navy blue sofa and matching armchair with a deep mahogany coffee table between the two. Off in the left hand corner was a small kitchenette that had a marble countertop island with a few black cast-iron chairs around it. Harry's emerald eyes then found dark black sinister-looking robes hanging on a hook next to the exit to the rooms.

Within seconds after seeing the robes, he felt as if someone punched him in the gut. Harry stared at the offending clothing and started to gasp for air. An unnatural fear rushed through Harry's blood as he stared at the black robes of doom. There was something about them. He couldn't place it, but . . . His head suddenly whipped towards Snape before he stood up and quickly started to back away. It was in a manner similar to a wounded animal afraid to die.

"Is something the matter?"

"I've-I've seen those before," Harry replied fearfully, pointing at Snape's teaching robes.

"I'd imagine you've seen them quite numerously." Snape's eyes then narrowed on Harry, taking in the boy's ghostly pale complexion. "They're upsetting you. Aren't they?" Truthfully, he didn't need the boy to reply. He could see the fear clearly on the boy's face. Harry was terrified. His son was terrified of his teaching robes. Ignoring the part of his psyche that would normally make him mock the boy, he quickly held a hand up and summoned them.

When Harry released a slow whimper, Snape did the first thing that came to his mind. He threw his teaching robes into the fireplace. He didn't need his son to go into cardiac arrest because of the horrid things. He could wear other robes that made him look less intimidating.

Snape's eyes then narrowed on his son. Could it be the boy actually remembered the attack? Pomfrey had informed him earlier it wouldn't be for a while yet. However, staring at the boy, he was inclined to believe she was wrong, extremely wrong. He waited until he saw the look of relief flood Harry's features before speaking.

"If you are remembering something, do tell me. I am supposed to help you."

"I don't know. It was, um . . . just a feeling." Slowly, Harry walked back to the sofa. However, he made sure he didn't meet Snape's gaze. "I don't know why I just freaked out. I'm sorry, sir."

"Do not apologize. It is not your fault. Now, rest. I shall remain here, Harry." His tone conveyed that it was in his best interest to obey. He waited and watched his poor son fall into restless sleep.

~FTT~

The next morning, Harry awoke to people whispering near the door to Snape's quarters. Green eyes glanced towards the armchair where Snape had been before the young Gryffindor had stupidly fallen asleep in the man's quarters. However, the armchair was long vacated it seemed with Snape's black frockcoat lying across the back of the chair.

Drawing in a deep breath, Harry stared at the frockcoat. That familiar and irritating fear was attempting to rear its head again. He could feel his vision tunneling once again. He knew it was absurd, but he couldn't stare at the horrid things anymore. His breathing began to become panicky again. Visions of the prior day flashed in his mind when he had faced Snape's scary teaching robes. Using his Gryffindor bravery, he quickly leapt up and snatched the frockcoat before tossing it into the fire. His brain then caught up to him as he watched the flames engulf the article of clothing.

"Oh no, what did I do?" the young boy whimpered softly.

"Perhaps at this point it'd just be prudent if I burned all of my robes instead of us doing it one by one. Would that make you feel better?" Snape asked, joining Harry in watching the frockcoat become a pile of smoldering ashes. There was no anger in his voice, only calm.

"I'm sorry! Please," Harry pleaded, not realizing that Snape wasn't angry with him. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry! Please . . . please." As arms suddenly reached towards him, Harry's thoughts instantly turned to the most logical conclusion in the poor boy's panic ridden mind.

"Harry, cal—"

"I-I didn't mean to. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry!" Harry cried, backing himself into one of the dark corners of the room. He quickly slid down the wall begging and pleading with the big shadowed man in front of him. Drawing his knees up to his chest and his arms up in front of his face, he quickly assumed his familiar protective stance that he always used with him. "Please . . . please don't punish me, Uncle Vernon. I'm sorry. I won't do it again," the young child cried.

"Son, listen to my voice. Please," the shadowed man responded with a slight falter in his voice.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize," replied the man softly.

"I know, Uncle, I know," cried Harry, nodding his head frantically. "I'll be good. I pro—"

Within seconds, strong arms bodily lifted the young child out of his corner and held Harry tightly against the man's chest. Harry frantically tried to fight for all he was worth, though, but it did little good. The man was stronger. He always was stronger.

"Shh, Harry, shh . . ." the man whispered softly, keeping an arm around Harry's chest to pin the boy against him. "It's all right, son. It is. Please calm yourself. Everything's fine. Hell, you could burn my entire wardrobe if it'd make you feel better. Just listen to my voice and come back to me. Please, Harry. Listen to my voice. It's all right. It really is, son. You just have to believe me."

Harry struggled more against the man. He wouldn't believe the man's lies, not again. Uncle Vernon always promised him that it was all right. It never was. Harry always ended up in the cupboard under the stairs and left there for hours on end after Uncle Vernon finished punishing him.

In fact, at an early age, Harry learned how often adults lied to children. Dudley, his fat cousin, had believed for years Aunt Petunia's lie that Harry would one day vanish from their lives. Sadly, that prayer still remained slightly untrue. Harry still would have to return to the Dursleys at the end of term.

Something inside Harry finally snapped. He wouldn't let Uncle Vernon taint Hogwarts as he tainted his hopes of ever having a family. He wouldn't let the man win, not this time. Harry balled his hands into fists, making his fingernails painfully cut deep into his palms. He was a wizard now, which scared and angered Uncle Vernon greatly. Well, he'd give the man something to fear then. Who gave a flying Hippogriff what the consequences were? Harry wouldn't have Uncle Vernon hurt him ever again.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!" Harry wrenched himself out of the man's viper like grip. Magic quickly electrified the air with loud crackles and sparks surrounding the enraged boy.

"Calm yourself, Harry," the man replied soothingly, making sure to keep his eyes on Harry.

"My father was a great wizard! He wasn't a bum!" Harry's accidental magic then struck the man. However, the unconscious man on the floor he thought was Uncle Vernon morphed into Snape. "Oh my god, I killed Snape!" He might've heard wrong but he swore he heard 'You bastard' from the portrait.

~FTT~

The scent of fresh cut flowers enveloped the darkened room as the two occupants lay in one another's arms in a large bed. Both had soft smiles with flushed faces. A woman with long chestnut hair and bright emerald eyes started to laugh as her lover ran his long fingers up and down her bare arm.

"I could stay here forever, Sev," she whispered.

"Then why don't you, Lily?"

"You know why, Sev." She then softly sighed. "It's so stupid if one thinks about it. I mean, I love James. I do." She caught her lover stiffen at the name. "But I also love you, Sev. What girl honestly loves two guys? You know if—"

"Lily," he warned.

"I know, Sev. But there are something's a girl can't get over, and she was always chasing after you. You still won't let me insult her, will you?"

"She wasn't the reason for my taking the Mark, Lily. I do not know how much clearer I can be."

"She is a pureblood Slytherin, Sev. What was I supposed to think?"

"You should have trusted me," he replied quietly.

"I did—I mean, of course I trust you, Sev." Lily then gently pressed a soft kiss against his lips. "It's her that I don't trust."

"Considering you're the one lying and having an affair, Evans, it is a bit ironic."

"Yes, well, James doesn't need to know this, Sev." Lily then ran a hand through her long auburn hair before sighing. "Fine, let's talk about something else then."

"I've never been known for my social skills. It is something I believe you remember, Lily."

"Yeah, yeah, Sev," she drawled with a smirk. "You're more of a doer, aren't you?" She giggled when he captured her in his arms and rolled on top of her. "Happy Halloween, Severus."

"This will likely be the best Halloween of my life, Lily. Thank you." He gently kissed her lips before smiling wickedly. "Let me show you the true reason why Slytherin's mascot is a snake."

"Oh, by all means, please, Sev." The two lovers then returned to their lovemaking for the night.

~FTT~

Groaning, Snape regained consciousness to the white ceiling of the Infirmary. The horrid smell of antiseptics reached his nose and made him grimace. He hated the hospital wing. He always had.

"Ah, welcome to the land of the living, Professor," Madam Pomfrey briskly stated as she walked into his eyesight. "Do try not to speak yet, Severus. Your jaw is broken, and I'm still in the process of healing it properly."

Snape's dark eyes stared at her in utter disbelief. She had to be joking. Harry had broken his jaw! He then sighed heavily before glancing around the room. Harry was nowhere in sight. A deep fear within himself suddenly appeared deep in his gut, and he quickly attempted to sit up. Only Madam Pomfrey shoved him back down against the cot with a stern look.

"Mr. Potter, please join us," she loudly spoke.

When the familiar messy haired boy walked out of Madam Pomfrey's office, Snape felt relief flood through him. However, he could see that the boy was extremely remorseful for his actions. It wasn't his fault, though. Now, if only the matron could hurry the hell up so he could tell his son that. At the last wave of the wand, his eyes darted to her before she inclined her head.

"Harry," he said, motioning the boy over to his bedside. The pain in his jaw was minimal, but he knew that it'd increase over time. "Do not apologize for what occurred. I should not have grabbed you as I did." The remorse didn't leave Harry's face. "You need not worry ever again about returning to the Dursleys, Harry. You won't be going back. I swear on my wizard's oath."

When Harry instantly grinned with pure excitement, Snape nodded at him. However, the smile didn't last long, which Snape could understand. The boy likely hoped for years for someone to rescue him, only to go year after year still left in that hellhole.

"How can you promise me that, sir?"

"Do you recall Madam Pomfrey stating that we're related?" When Harry nodded fervently, Snape glanced towards the matron. She walked away a few seconds later towards her office.

"So, are you like my dad's older brother then or something, sir?"

"Not exactly," Snape responded, sighing heavily. "Your mother was my best friend when we were at Hogwarts. Quite frankly, I was the individual who informed her that she was a witch. She didn't believe me of course until she received her letter." He watched his son attempt to process the info. "In regards to James, we never got along." This was to put it mildly in Snape's opinion. "It was perhaps due to the fact that he was in love with your mother and deemed me a threat."

"Oh. So, I'm like a reminder then that you lost Mum to my dad, and that's why you hate me?"

"Harry, I don't hate you."

"Well, you don't like me, sir," the Gryffindor pointed out with a look of skepticism.

"For reasons that I cannot get into, Harry, you will just have to trust me right now. I do not hate you, nor do I hate Neville Longbottom."

"Oh, well, that's good, sir. Neville is convinced that you do hate him."

"I'm certain he does think that, but he is mistaken." Snape then stared at his son before sighing. The hospital wing really wasn't the best places for such a conversation. However, he knew based on his son's reaction to him that he couldn't deal with the Dementors in Harry's closet alone.

Since Harry's attack, Dumbledore had forced Snape to take a mandatory leave of absence to help his son heal mentally. Of course that had been just when they had thought Harry's only Dementor was the thing that attacked him in the Forbidden Forest, not his Muggle uncle. Well, they would add it to the list. Snape himself had some experience dealing with abuse. His dear deadbeat father had helped him with that. However, Harry needed another presence to help him heal, preferably a female. After all, Snape at the time had Lily to help him heal from the emotional scars, but he was rather convinced that asking the Granger girl wouldn't be a good idea. That only left one person, unfortunately.

"Madam Pomfrey," Snape spoke loud enough so she could hear him through her office door. When she walked out a few seconds later, he pushed back his annoyance. The matron probably had come to the same conclusion sometime earlier. "I don't suppose Sinistra is stable enough to move yet."

"She is, but why are you asking, Severus?"

"Send her down to my quarters. After all, we both know the damn witch won't stay put."

"And just what are you going to do?"

"Well, seeing as how Albus forced me into this damn leave, I had thought about nursing both of them back to health, Madam," he replied with a slight annoyed growl. "Do you have any objections?"

"None, Severus," she snapped, glaring at him.

"Excellent." Snape then stood up and glanced towards his son. "We'll see about getting you your own room while you remain in my quarters."

"Can't I just go back to the dormitory, sir?"

"You suffered from a traumatic event, Harry. I believe that earlier you experienced a flashback, only it wasn't of that specific event. I understand that you wish to be with your friends. However, allow us to focus on you for the time being."

"It's because I hurt you, isn't it, sir?"

"It could happen again, yes, but there are other reasons, Harry."

"All right, I'll come," the sullen boy replied quietly.

"Thank Merlin for small favors," Snape deadpanned before they walked towards the doors out of the hospital wing. He kept his hands away from the boy, even though he wanted nothing more than to put his hand on his son's shoulder. He wasn't normally a touchy feely type of person, but he knew his son craved the affection. He wasn't going to deny that, not after learning a bit what his son went through with those bastard Dursleys. If his son wanted a hug in the middle of the Great Hall at mealtime, then dammit he would do it for Harry. He'd probably later petition the headmaster for the ability to Obliviate everyone, though, but he'd still hug his son.

The walk to the dungeons was extremely quiet, but it was a comfortable silence. After all, the hallway wasn't a good place to do the "Harry, I'm your father" line either. When they reached the portrait of Salazar Slytherin, the Founder smirked dangerously. He, however, allowed them into the room. Snape's dark eyes glanced towards Sinistra who was sitting in his chair with a smirk herself. He did one better than both Slytherin and Sinistra, he smiled maliciously.

"Get the hell out of my chair, Aurora."

"Make me," she replied with her lip curled upwards slightly and arms folded across her chest.

"As you wish," he drawled before quickly holding his hand out to summon her out of the chair and into him. He chuckled quietly when she gasped with large eyes. He ignored her shock before setting her onto the far edge of the sofa. "Sit and stay."

"Would you like me to beg for you too, Severus?"

"Don't tempt me," he warned with a finger pointed at her. He then turned back towards his son.

"Oh, um, are you two like dating then?"

"What?" both Snape and Sinistra exclaimed staring at him.

"Well, you two were like flirting with each other."

"No, no, absolutely not, no, we're not dating," Professor Sinistra quickly replied. "Dear Merlin no that would be horrendous. Absolutely not, Harry, I wouldn't date him if he was the last—"

"You've made your point, Sinistra," Snape growled.

"Oh, okay, well, I thought that you might be, considering what I just saw."

"You didn't see anything, Harry."

The young boy nodded slowly before sitting down on the opposite side of the sofa as his Astronomy professor. He didn't look so convinced. However, he also wasn't asking a hundred infuriating questions either.

"Perhaps I should just come out and say it then." Snape sat down in his chair and folded his hands in his lap. Drawing in a deep breath, he prepared himself for the backlash he knew was coming. "Harry, I am your father." He watched Harry's eyes widen before the boy glanced down towards the floor. He silently waited for a single emotion to filter into the boy's face that he could stick with. Harry was alternating between happiness and shock. "Say something, Harry."

"Next you'll be telling me 'The force is strong with this one,' won't you?"

Snape snorted before it turned into loud chuckles. He glanced at his son and shook his head. It had been years since he had heard another wizard quote that Muggle film. It was oddly Dumbledore's favorite movie. Somehow, he knew they would be all right now. The boy was at least joking currently.

Chapter End Notes:
Next chapter, Harry realizes Snape isn't joking. :D