Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Angel's full name is Angel Celestria Prince. Draco will always refer to her as "Celes," while Harry will call her "El." I figured the boys would come up with their own cute little nicknames for their little sister. Enjoy. :D
Tower of Terror

With the young child's mother in her office helping a student with his star chart and her father brewing a rather complex potion that needed constant supervision, it was up to Angel's brothers to tuck her in for the night. Even though the young men weren't truly her biological brothers, she considered them to be so and loved them just the same. And of course, their feelings were mutual with her.

Tall and slender, her oldest brother had grey eyes and medium-length silvery blond hair that he typically sleeked to one side. Like her, he had a pale complexion, but his features were sharper and more pointed. Adorned to his chest was the deep green and silver Slytherin crest that warned others of how ambitious and cunning he was. A bit reserved around others, he almost always smiled near her in the privacy of their rooms.

Also slender and somewhat tall, Angel's other brother had a brilliant green eyes that stood out from behind the black round-rimmed glasses. Hidden from any nosy onlookers, the lightning bolt-shaped scar that he received in his infancy remained covered by his shaggy jet black, untidy hair. A crimson and gold Gryffindor crest proudly projected his bravery and chivalry to others. Unlike their older brother, he was just about always smiling or laughing.

"All right, El. Think you can go to sleep without a story tonight?" her green-eyed brother asked as he gently pulled her Slytherin-colored comforter just underneath her chin.

"No," she replied with a badly hidden mischievous smile. "Can you and Draco please tell me one, Harry?" Her rich brown eyes then went into the famous puppy dog look.

"That's what you get for asking such a stupid question, little brother," Draco laughed before slapping Harry on the back. "All right, Celes. We'll give you a story." Clearing his throat quietly, he sat down on the edge of the younger child's bed. "Once upon a time, there was a beautiful princess. Everyone loved her because she had such an amazing smile. In fact, when she smiled, a bright light would fill the entire room and would blind everyone." His grey eyes then glanced towards their brother.

"What?" Harry replied with a look of confusion. He stared at Draco for a few seconds before his green eyes suddenly widened. "Oh, yeah, well, um…one day this beautiful princess decided to throw a party for all of her people to thank them for being such wonderful subjects. She spoke with her royal party planner—"

"Can Fred and George be in the story, Harry?" Angel interrupted.

"Sure, yeah, they can be in the story. So, she spoke with her royal party planner Mokai the house elf and asked him to send out cards to all of her people and invite them to her party. Mokai was very happy to help the sweet little princess, so he quickly rushed off and invited everyone. Well, time went on, and soon it was the day of the party." Harry glanced back towards Draco.

"The little princess was very nervous now. Even though she knew everybody loved her, she was very worried that no one would show up. An hour before the party started, she began to pace up and down her royal chambers back and forth, front to back, and side-to-side. A clock somewhere in her lovely castle quietly went tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock… She stopped, walked to her chair, and watched it in slight fascination as the hanging object swung back and forth, back and forth, back and forth… Her beautiful brown eyes slowly started to close as more tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock and back and forth, back and forth, back and forth carried on."

Angel's eyes suddenly felt rather heavy. Then again, Draco's voice had slowly become softer and softer as he continued to speak. She fought against her urge to sleep, though. After all, the story wasn't finished, and she hated falling asleep without hearing the end. Her father had the same uncanny ability when he told her bedtime stories.

"And just before the little princess fell asleep, the court jesters Forge and Gred appeared. They watched her fight against sleep and thought about waking the princess for a split second. However, the beautiful princess's brothers Dragon and Hare ordered the jesters to allow her to sleep because the party could wait until the princess wasn't so tired anymore. The end," Draco softly spoke.

"The princess's brothers were idiots," Angel mumbled towards her pillow.

"Yeah, yeah, go to sleep, Celes. If you need us at all, we'll be in the sitting room, okay?"

Already fast asleep, there was no response from the little girl. Her brothers kissed her forehead gently before silently walking out of her bedroom. Soon, darkness claimed the princess.

~SS~

Two hours before midnight, eerie sounds reverberated around Angel's darkened bedroom. The young child was still asleep, but she was slowly regaining consciousness as the sounds filtered into her ears. As her eyes fluttered open, a long, somber moan greeted her. Her hands instantly clutched her Slytherin bear tighter as she pulled him closer.

Living in the dungeons of Hogwarts with her parents, Angel was used to the sounds the Bloody Baron made as he traveled throughout the lower levels. In fact, his frequent clanging of his chains didn't even frighten her anymore since she spent some of her mornings with Slytherin's resident ghost. The current sounds she heard now were different and definitely scarier than anything the Bloody Baron made, though. Without a doubt, she knew something else was making those terrifying sounds.

Angel's dark eyes glanced towards the location of her closed door. She could see the little light that flickered underneath it, meaning that either her brothers were still awake or her father was. Drawing in a breath, she silently tossed her covers off and quickly rushed towards the door. She wasn't going to spend another moment alone with those frightening sounds.

Throwing open her door, the young child ran down the hallway towards the sitting room. When her eyes found her brothers on the sofa playing Exploding Snap quietly, she nearly sighed in relief. She quickly walked over to them and bit her bottom lip nervously when Draco's grey eyes darted towards her. She knew they'd think she was being silly. At least her father always had that look on his face that he thought so when she did the same with him.

"What are you doing up, Celes?"

"Can I stay here with you, Draco?" she softly asked, hanging her head dejectedly.

"Only if you tell us why you're still awake," he replied.

"I scared," she answered barely above a whisper with a slight tremble. She nearly jumped when she felt someone rest a hand on her arm. Her rich dark eyes glanced up at her brothers. Draco and Harry were staring at her with concerned looks on their faces.

"Come here, El," Harry said, holding his arms out. Gently picking her up, he set her next to him.

"Why are you scared, Celes?"

"I keep hearing noises, and it's scary."

"It's probably just the Bloody Baron, El."

"Doesn't sound like him," she argued as she bit her bottom lip.

"All right then, well, Dray and I'll go check out your room then. Would that make you feel better?" He caught her look of disbelief instantly. "Well, El, we can't just let you stay out here. Dad definitely won't be happy if he sees us together."

"I think I know where the sound's coming from." She then drew in another deep breath. "I heard it this morning with Daddy when we were trick or treating. I think it's coming from the north tower."

"I'll go tell him." Quickly walking out of the sitting room, Draco headed towards the private lab. He emerged a few moments later. However, he wasn't alone this time.

"What's this about investigating the north tower for a strange noise?"

"El has been hearing a noise all day, and she thinks it's coming from the north tower."

"It's likely only Trelawney." Her father then sighed before folding his arms. "You don't believe it is, though. Do you, Angel?" he asked. "Very well, we'll check it out."

"What about your potion?" Draco asked.

"Luckily, it's in the cooling phase so my constant presence isn't required for the moment." Her father's dark eyes rested on her before he drew in a slow breath. "If this is your attempt to scam more sweets out of the staff, though, Angel, do not be surprised if you find yourself in trouble with me."

"It's not, Daddy," she replied quietly.

"I shall hold you to your word then."

Forgoing his usual black flowing robes, her father wore a black turtleneck and black slacks. He didn't even attempt to wait before walking out of their rooms. It wasn't because he thought there was a chance of escaping the three children. He knew his chances were slim to none until all three were out on their own before he'd get his freedom again. However, being extremely methodical, he was also very rigid in his mannerisms. He wouldn't wait for them, and they knew it. It was just how he was.

~SS~

Reaching the tower in record speed, Angel gently squeezed her brothers' hands for strength. The sounds were louder now, and she knew that her brothers and father could hear it, too. Knowing that she was safe with them, the thought calmed her slightly. However, she had a bit more pressing needs.

Due to wearing only her silver pajamas with green slithering snakes, she was shivering horribly. The temperature in this part of the castle was a good twenty degrees colder than what it was in the dungeons, which was saying something. While she knew that she should tell them that she wasn't shivering because she was scared but cold, she couldn't form the words. After all, it wasn't as if they'd be there too long. Her father would deal with the situation like the expert Slytherin he was, and all would be well again. If her brothers could handle the cold, then so could she.

Her dark eyes then found the main source for the temperature shift. Majority of the windows in this part of the tower had rather jagged and wicked looking cracks running down its panes. In fact, some windows were completely shattered, allowing the cold October air free reign. Nearby, badly frayed House banners waved in the breeze, only adding to the creepy atmosphere.

Sounds of glass clinking suddenly appeared to their left. Her father's head slightly inclined as his long ebony wand slipped into his hand. Draco and Harry soon followed suit, still holding Angel's hand. Thick, heavy chains then clanged loudly to their right, drawing their attention instantly. A few seconds later, crazed muttering followed low moans and somber cries behind them. Whatever it was, it sounded as if it was everywhere.

Unexpectedly, Angel's father stuck his arm out towards them to have them stay put. The young men did as instructed and glanced around. Their wands were steady in their hands. However, she knew both of her brothers had their own experiences with trouble before, so it wasn't really that surprising. The numerous lit torches around them silently flickered as more wind stirred around them. Soon, the family plunged into darkness as the torches suddenly extinguished.

Angel quietly whimpered, which made her brothers lovingly squeeze her hand to reassure the young girl. Her dark eyes darted around wildly in attempts to find her father, who had been standing right in front of them before the darkness. She didn't know how to describe it, but her tummy clenched horribly as terrible thoughts rushed through her young mind.

Just this morning, she and her father had been together walking from classroom to office carefree as he took her trick or treating. Now, hours later, she, her father, and brothers were in a creepy tower with lots of scary sounds all around. When sounds of glass breaking reverberated around in the darkness, Angel stepped closer towards Draco, tugging Harry's hand to follow her.

She wasn't an idiot by any means. She knew that if trouble came, that Draco was probably the more clear-headed of her brothers. Also, Harry was a bit like her. If something bad was going to happen, it'd either happen to her or Harry. Trouble just seemed to follow them like the plague.

A semi-bright light shone at the tip of her brothers' wands as they held them in front of them. It made her relax somewhat. Her father was still in front of them with his arm out to prevent them from moving any closer to him. However, the feeling of relief didn't last long.

Off to their right, a shadow blurred past followed by objects suddenly moving. Her brothers dealt with the flying objects expertly by either banishing or destroying them, while her father attempted to deal with the fast moving shadows. Spells rang out from all three wizards. Some spells/curses hit their targets, and others failed horribly. Loud crashes and bangs followed by cracking of glass echoed as even more blurred shadows rushed past.

Closing her eyes to block out the sight of frequent jets of light whizzing past, Angel accidentally bit her bottom lip so hard that she drew blood. She just wanted it to stop. She wanted all of it to stop. Why wasn't it? More sounds echoed as more windows shattered. More clangs of chains, more clinks of glass, and more callous cracks reverberated in the thick, heavy darkness that suffocated the young child. Why won't it stop?

As if someone heard her thoughts loud and clear, all sounds stopped. Deafening silence fell onto the room. If it hadn't been for the fact that she felt her brothers' warm hands in hers, she'd swear that she was utterly and helplessly alone. Slowly, she opened her eyes. The torches had somehow relit and bathed the room in a warm amber glow. Glancing towards her brothers, she noticed that they appeared to be confused also. The room looked like a war zone, but objects weren't moving anymore so it seemed safe enough to her. Drawing in a slow breath to regain her courage, she glanced around. There were no more shadows in the room. However, there was something that she saw off to her left.

"Daddy, what's that?" she quietly asked, staring at the small creature that wasn't moving.

"It appears to be a house elf," he answered before walking towards it. A few moments later, he silently knelt down and picked the poor little house elf up. It hung limply in his hands. "It's alive," he softly spoke to reassure his daughter.

"Is it gonna be okay?"

"We'll take it to Madam Pomfrey." His dark eyes then glanced towards her brothers. The three wizards shared a look amongst one another before deciding something wordlessly.

"Hey, El, how about I give you a piggyback ride down to the Hospital Wing? Would that be fun?" Harry asked with a nervous and forced smile.

"It's going to die, isn't it?" she softly whispered, staring at the lifeless house elf in her father's arms. "Did it get hit by one of the lights?"

"Celes, do you think he'd let a little house elf like that die if he could help it?"

"No," she whispered, sucking on her bottom lip that was still bleeding.

"Of course, he wouldn't. Now, come on." Draco then knelt down in front of her. "I'll let you ride my back, Celes. After all, we can't have the next great Slytherin witch having Gryffindor germs on her, can we?" He softly laughed when she climbed onto his back and wrapped her arms around his neck. "Plus, it's a little known secret that Slytherins are the king of this pigback thing."

"Really?" the little girl asked with a slight smile gracing her face.

"Of course, we just can't let everyone know that, though. You know why?" Draco replied as he and Angel started heading out of the tower. Harry walked beside them, while Snape and the house elf brought up the rear.

"No."

"Because idiot Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs would jump us snakes all the time," he answered.