Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
The watch incident is finally resolved and justice is served

Warning--some spanking!
Parental Discussions

Harry saw red. A corner of his mind, the sensible part, was yelling that he ought to just get Professor Snape and tell him everything and let him deal with bleeding Malfoy. But the irrational angry part of his mind was screaming for revenge, for Malfoy had deliberately destroyed something personal of his on purpose and had been asking for a good ass kicking for a long time now. The ruined watch flashed before his eyes and he let the red rage swamp him. "You miserable bugger!" he growled. "You had this coming for ages!"

He swung his right fist hard, having learned to throw a decent right hook thanks to Dudley, who was forever punching Harry in the face and breaking his glasses and once or twice knocking out a tooth and giving him a bloody nose.

Draco, still smug, was caught totally off guard.

Harry's fist slammed the blond boy right in the nose, hard enough to snap Malfoy's head back and make it bleed.

Malfoy staggered backwards, crying out in shock and pain. "Oww! You . . . you hit me!" he exclaimed. "I'm bleeding, you rotten bugger!"

"Good. It's what you deserve for breaking my watch," Harry half-shouted, bringing up his fists to protect his face.

Malfoy tried to hit Harry back, but he had one hand covering his streaming nose and he was unused to physical violence. As the son of powerful Ministry official Lucius Malfoy, he never had to resort to fisticuffs before, that was always Crabbe and Goyle's style. He backed away, yelling, "Leave off, Potter! You're insane, trying to blame me for your stupid cheap watch breaking. Help! Crabbe! Goyle!"

There was a grim light in Harry's green eyes as he advanced upon his rival, intent on pounding Malfoy into the ground. "You're such a stinking liar, Malfoy! The one thing I couldn't figure out was how my watch managed to fall out of my sealed locker. And now I know. You spelled the lock open and stole it!"

"Prove it!" Malfoy panted, still trying to stem the tide of blood with his sleeve. "You can't, 'cause that stupid raven was the one who found it right on the floor and brought it to you. Keep attacking me, Potter, and my father will be suing you for assault—"

"I'll show you assault, you pansy-arsed coward!" Harry drew back his fist again, only to feel fingers close like a steel trap about his wrist, preventing the blow from landing.

"Give it to him, Harry!" Skull cawed.

At the same time, Snape's voice, dripping with displeasure, hissed, "Potter, that will be enough! Control yourself!"

Harry froze, he had never heard that particular tone from Snape before, it spoke volumes about how peeved the professor was with him. "Sir, I can explain . . ."

"Really? I fail to see how, especially since I seem to remember forbidding you and Malfoy to get into another brawl."

"You said no dueling . . ." began Malfoy timidly, swiping at his nose, which was swollen and slowly dripping blood.

Snape fixed the Slytherin with a cold and icy glare. "Are you so dense that I must spell out that all brawling, magical or otherwise, is strictly forbidden by me and the rules of this school?" Sarcasm dripped like venom from Snape's lips.

Draco hung his head. "No, sir. But Potter started it . . . over a cheap watch that he found smashed on the floor . . ."

"It was not cheap, you stuck up git!" Harry shouted. "Professor, he broke the watch . . .the one you gave me with my mum's picture in it . . ." He reached into his pocket and withdrew the smashed watch.

Severus looked down and gritted his teeth.

The watch was a sorry looking sight. The crystal was cracked and the picture ripped, the cover hanging off by a tiny hinge, bent and scraped and the cogs and gears were showing.

"Skullduggery, where did you find this?"

"Spied the shiny thing on the floor, Sev," the raven answered promptly. "Over there." He indicated further down the corridor with his sharp beak.

"I see." He fixed both boys with a look of extreme displeasure. "After the detention and discussions I had with you last time, one would think you had learned your lesson—"

"Potter went mental on me, professor!" whined Malfoy. Harry just looked at his shoes, for that much was obvious and there was little he could say to refute it. "Wait till my father hears about this . . ."

"Oh, you needn't wait for your father's return from his business trip," Snape declared coldly. "For I shall be informing your mother about this latest incident tomorrow morning, as well as the Headmaster. Now is not the time for us to debate this matter, it is late and you both have class tomorrow, as do I. We shall settle this matter tomorrow afternoon, in the Headmaster's office."

"The Headmaster's office?" Harry squeaked. In his past experience that always boded no good for him. "Why can't you just settle this, sir?"

"Because you have accused Malfoy of stealing, which is a thing this school has zero tolerance for, as well as deliberate destruction of personal property, Mr. Potter, this matter must be resolved not only by staff, but Professor Dumbledore as well. I shall tell him to call a conference between myself, as your guardian, and Lady Malfoy, as Draco's parent, and Professor McGonagall with the Headmaster mediating. That way we shall get to the bottom of this one way or another."

"But Professor . . ." whined Draco. "Look what he did to my nose."

Snape drew his wand and touched Draco's nose. "Episkey!"

Draco yelped as his nose suddenly healed itself. Snape handed him a handkerchief to wipe off the blood. "There! You're not going to die, Mr. Malfoy, so quit acting like it. And don't try and act all innocent, because I know the both of you are to blame for this."

When Malfoy would have opened his mouth again, Snape cut him off with a sharp, "Enough, Malfoy! Get yourself to bed, now!"

Malfoy gulped and darted Snape a half-fearful look before turning and running for the portrait hole.

Though Snape did not say so, he also wished this conference because he did not trust himself to handle the matter impartially in regards to either boy. That watch had been a family heirloom, given in remembrance to his beloved Lily's child and seeing it ruined that way made him long to use Veritaserum on Malfoy. He turned to Harry, saying quietly, "You need to get yourself to bed as well, Mr. Potter. Skullduggery, make sure he gets back to the tower safely."

Harry lifted his head and met his guardian's eyes, wincing. "Sir, wait. Could I . . . maybe . . .stay with you tonight? I won't be any trouble—"

Snape's eyebrow arched. "No, for you've already been that tonight."

"Sorry. I'll go straight to bed, promise."

"Why do you not wish to sleep with your Housemates?"

"Err . . . I just . . . won't get any sleep . . . worrying . . ." Harry dug the toe of his trainer into the floor.

"You should have thought of that before you punched out Malfoy," scolded his guardian. "How many times must I tell you, if you have a problem with another student, inform a teacher? Why did you not come to me?"

"I . . .I wasn't thinking . . . I just saw the watch and I knew that smarmy bastard—"

"Language!"

"—stole my watch and smashed it, sorry." Harry apologized. "So I lost my temper. He had no right to do that."

Snape drew a long-suffering sigh. "Harry, we shall discuss this tomorrow. Where would you sleep if I allowed you to spend the night?"

"The couch is fine. Or the floor. I don't care."

Severus scowled. "I am not going to be tripping over you in the middle of the night, boy, so the floor is not an option. Come, I shall make a bed upon the sofa, and inform Minerva that you shall be spending the night so she does not drive herself insane wondering where you are." He shepherded Harry back to his quarters with a firm hand to the small of his back.

With a wave of his wand, Snape Transfigured Harry's uniform and school robes into a pair of red and gold striped pajamas and then told Harry to go brush his teeth and make ready for bed. Harry obeyed, still feeling slightly sick to his stomach, and wondering what would happen tomorrow at the meeting. As he was brushing his teeth, he also recalled that he had an appointment with Pomfrey too and nearly groaned aloud. Tomorrow was not going to be a good day.

Meanwhile, Severus removed a thick green and silver blanket with the Slytherin crest from a trunk at the foot of his bed, along with a silver sheet and green-striped pillow and covered the sofa with them. That done, he Floo-called Minerva and told her what had occurred and that his ward would be spending the night with him. The stern witch was upset but agreed that the matter should be resolved tomorrow afternoon, allowing tempers to cool. "I love the boy dearly, Severus, but I fear you're going to have your hands full with him."

"Tell me something I don't know," drawled the other wryly.

"Good night then, Severus."

"Good night, Minerva."

He banked the fire for the night, as the dungeons were chilly. By then Harry was finished with his nightly routine and had come to stand next to the couch. "Professor? The watch . . . can it be fixed?"

Snape turned and caught the faint glimmer of tears in the child's eyes. "I believe so, but for now it must remain in its current state, so all may see what happened. Afterwards, I shall attempt to restore it. No more questions, Harry. Go to sleep."

"Yes, sir." Harry flopped down on the couch and snuggled beneath the blanket. "G'night, Severus."

"Sleep well, Harry. And remember, I shall wake you early for you need to visit the infirmary," his guardian reminded him.

Harry grimaced. "Will I be able to have breakfast?"

"Afterwards."

Harry curled up on his side and closed his eyes. Skulduggery fluttered down and perched upon the couch arm, and began to gently preen the boy's hair.

Severus remained for a moment, looking down on his ward with equal parts of exasperation and fondness. Potter, what am I going to do with you? He rested a hand lightly on Harry's head before heading into his bedroom. Sleep beckoned and it had been a long day.

CICICICICI

"It's time to rise and shine, rise and shine, and say hello to Mr. Sun!"

Harry awoke to Skull warbling happily in his ear, sounding like an insanely happy announcer on a preschool telly show. He groaned and pulled the pillow over his head. "Go 'way, Skull!"

But the raven hopped onto his shoulder and pecked the pillow, beating out a tattoo. "Get up, my son, there's work to be done. And not enough hours to do it in."

Now the raven sounded like Dumbledore.

"Skull, have mercy."

"Potter, get up this instant and quit dawdling. You have an appointment to keep."

Harry immediately sat up and pulled the pillow away from his head, expecting to see an irate Severus standing over him, arms crossed.

Instead, he saw Skull flapping and cackling, his black eyes twinkling.

"Why you . . . you tricked me!" Harry shook a finger at the unrepentant raven.

"It worked, didn't it?" Skull cawed, then perched on Harry's shoulder and began to nibble gently on the end of Harry's glasses.

"Stop it, Skull. That's the only pair I've got."

"You need a new pair," interjected Severus, coming into the room. "I'll see why the ones you ordered haven't arrived yet this morning. Hurry and get washed up." He waved his wand and Harry's pajamas became his uniform and robe again.

Harry hurried and washed, even though he was less than eager to start this day, knowing what waited at the end of it. But he knew it was no good putting off the inevitable.

Snape led him to the infirmary, where Poppy ran a quick diagnostic on him, discussed a few more supplemental potions Harry should take, then gave him three inoculations. To his surprise, they really didn't hurt, she gave him one in each arm and the last in his bottom, which was rather embarrassing, but didn't hurt either. Once that was over, she spent five minutes speaking with a harried clerk at Wizarding Occulars, who assured her that Harry's glasses would be shipped soon, there had been a delay because the occular specialist was on holiday.

After that, Severus dismissed Harry, it was quarter to eight and he was starving. He met up with Ron and Hermione in the hall.

"Where were you last night, mate?" asked Ron. "Fall asleep in the library?"

"No, on Snape's couch," he said quietly.

"Were you getting extra help and lost track of time?" asked Hermione.

"Uh . . . kind of." Harry quickly filled them in on what had happened.

Ron was livid. "I knew it! That Malfoy's such slime. I hope he gets expelled."

"Would they expel him over something like that?" Harry asked.

"Of course they would. Harry, stealing's a serious offense," Hermione pointed out. "Where's your watch now?"

"The professor has it. It's a wreck, but he says he can fix it after we have this . . .conference."

Hermione nodded. "That's good."

"I don't see why they're even bothering with a conference," Ron said angrily. "Just snap his wand and boot him out the door. One less Slytherin in the school."

"The conference is so they can get all the facts and make an impartial judgment. And make sure the parents know what their child's been up to," Hermione explained. "They had parent-teacher conferences all the time at my old school, to discuss problems kids were having and tell parents if they thought their child needed to be bumped up a form or something."

Ron rolled his eyes.

Harry glanced over at the Slytherin table, trying to see if Malfoy looked as nervous as he felt. But the Slytherin was calmly eating his breakfast, acting as if nothing was wrong. Harry wished he could feel so nonchalant, instead he felt slightly nauseous, even though he was only in trouble for slugging Draco in the nose. Frowning, he turned back to his toast, bacon, potatoes, and eggs. He managed to finish most of what was on his plate before pushing it away and trying to concentrate on his morning classes, which were Herbology and Transfiguration.

All through classes that day, Harry was distracted, worrying over what would happen during the meeting. He could barely eat lunch and in his last class, History of Magic, he spent the entire period thinking of how much trouble he was going to be in because of fighting. Though not half as much trouble as Draco was going to be in.

Skullduggery flew onto his shoulder just as class was dismissed and whispered in Harry's ear, "Remember, you have a meeting with Sev and your Head of House and Lady Malfoy in Dumbledore's office."

"Right. I'll see you there, Skull."

The raven flew off his shoulder, gliding through the air like a harbinger of doom.

Harry hitched his bag higher on his shoulder, it still contained the photo album Snape had given him last night of Lily. For some reason having it comforted him a little as he headed to the gargoyle statue and the hidden staircase. Skull fluttered overhead and spoke the password, "Sherbert lemons."

The gargoyle slid aside and Harry stepped up onto the revolving stairs and was taken up to the Headmaster's office. He knocked diffidently on the door.

"Enter," called Dumbledore.

Harry turned the knob and walked in. Dumbledore was sitting behind his large desk, surrounded by bookshelves, with the large window at the back. In front of him, in a semi-circle, were Professor McGonagall, Draco, Professor Snape, and Narcissa Malfoy. An empty chair inbetween McGonagall and Snape awaited Harry. Harry came and took his seat. Skullduggery landed on Snape's shoulder.

"Now that we are all here, we can begin this meeting," Dumbledore said, and the twinkle was absent from his eyes. "As you all know, Professor Snape contacted me this morning and asked me to call this meeting to resolve certain issues between Harry and Draco, issues which I believe started with some typical rivalry between students and Houses, but have since progressed to open hostility and now theft as well." Dumbledore cleared his throat. "Severus, would you please produce the disputed item, which caused the quarrel between Mr. Potter and Mr. Malfoy in the dungeons last night?"

"Certainly, Headmaster." Snape drew the broken watch from his pocket and laid it upon the Headmaster's desk for all to see.

Harry flinched upon seeing it.

"Harry, Professor Snape tells me that this pocket watch belongs to you. Is that correct?"

"Yes, sir. The professor gave it to me on Halloween so I could have something to remember my mum by, since I don't have any pictures of her or anything. The watch was his, I think it was a family heirloom. He put a picture of my mum inside for me."

"Why, Severus, that's very generous of you," Dumbledore exclaimed.

"It was the least I could do. The watch was a Prince heirloom, but I felt Harry had more need of it than I."

McGonagall peered at the watch. "It looks like it was a fine piece. Very expensive."

"I once had it appraised and was quoted a price of 400 Galleons." Severus informed her.

Harry gasped, he had not known just how valuable the watch was, except in terms of sentimental value.

"With a watch that expensive, one would think Mr. Potter would take better care of it," Narcissa said, looking down her nose at Harry.

Harry flushed, then said, "Mrs. Malfoy, ma'am, I did take care of it. I took it everywhere with me during school, and only took it off when I had Quidditch or a shower. The watch meant a great deal to me."

"Harry, when did you notice the watch was missing?" asked Dumbledore.

"After my last Quidditch game, sir," Harry replied. "I never wear the watch when I fly, it could fall off, so I put it inside my locker with my regular robes. But when I came back from the game to get changed, it was missing. At first I thought it just got caught in a pocket, but when I searched all over for it I couldn't find it."

"And you are certain you put it inside your locker and locked the door?"

"Yes, sir."

"Mr. Potter, I'm curious," broke in Minerva. "Why did you not report the watch missing right away?"

"Uh . . . well, you see, Professor Snape was hurt after the match and so was I, kind of. By those . . . err . . . storm spirits. I was really concerned about him and Madam Pomfrey had me in the Hospital Wing for a few days, so I decided to wait until the professor was better before saying anything."

"Oh, yes, I see." McGonagall said.

But then Severus raised an eyebrow. "Mr. Potter, I have been well for several days now. Why did you not tell me sooner?"

Harry swallowed and looked away. This was the question he had been dreading. "Umm . . . because I thought you'd get angry with me for losing it." Then he added swiftly, wishing to take Severus' attention away from him, "But I hadn't lost it. Draco stole it."

"How do you know it was my son that took your watch?" Narcissa asked. "It could have been anyone."

"No, ma'am. I know it was him because anyone else wouldn't have gone through my locker and taken it out. Last time when we had detention, Draco swore he'd make me pay for getting him in trouble."

"That's a lie!" Draco yelled. "Potter will say anything to make himself look good."

Before Harry could respond, Dumbledore held up a hand. "Draco, have you ever seen this watch before?"

Draco looked at the watch, hesitating for a long moment. "Yes. Potter was wearing it at his detention."

"So then you knew that Harry valued the watch."

Draco shrugged. "I guess so, sir."

Dumbledore's eyes narrowed. "Mr. Malfoy, did you sneak into the Gryffindor locker room during the Quidditch game and unlock Harry's locker and take his watch?"

Draco shook his head.

Dumbledore's eyes narrowed. "Might I remind you, Draco, that lying to cover up your misdeed will not make it any better? It is always best to tell the truth."

"I know that, sir." Draco said, calmly meeting the other's eyes.

Harry's hands clenched into fists.

"When was the next time you saw the watch, Draco?"

"Last night, on the dungeon floor." Draco said blithely.

"What condition was the watch in, Mr. Malfoy?" queried Severus suddenly. "Did it look the way it did when you first saw it?"

"Yes," Draco replied, then too late realized what he'd said. "I mean, no. It looked like that, and then your familiar picked it up and flew off with it to Potter."

Severus' eyes narrowed sharply. "Mr. Malfoy, when you saw the watch the first time, how close of a look did you get of it? Did you hold it in your hand?"

"No, sir. I just saw Potter holding it and asked what it was."

"Then, if you only got a brief glance at it, how did you recognize the watch belonged to Potter?"

Draco gulped. "Err . . .I heard him and Weasley talking about how it was missing at lunch."

"Hmmm. What has me wondering is how a watch that went missing from a Quidditch locker suddenly appeared all the way down in the dungeons, in a corridor where many students go by, and yet no one noticed it but you? Care to explain that, Mr. Malfoy?" demanded Snape.

"I don't know how it happened, Professor Snape." Draco said, squirming guiltily. "Potter was careless, that's why he lost the watch and it got stepped on and broken."

"Draco, how did you know the watch was stepped on?" asked Dumbledore.

"Umm . . . how else would it get broken like that?"

Narcissa went pale. Suddenly her hand shot out and clasped her son's wrist. "Draco Luke Malfoy, look at me."

"Ouch! Not so hard, Mother." Draco cried, looking up at his mother.

Narcissa's eyes were bright with disapproval and shame. "Now then, young man. I have sat here and listened to you dance around the subject and fail to answer questions directly. I want a straight answer from you, and if you speak one word of an untruth to me, I shall summon a bar of soap and wash your mouth out with it just as I've done in the past. Am I clear?"

Draco dropped his eyes. "But . . . but Mother . . .!"

She shook him slightly. "Answer me."

"Yes, Mother."

"Good. Now, answer yes or no. Did you take Mr. Potter's watch?"

Draco gulped, trapped. He had never been able to lie to his mother. Somehow she always knew and whenever he tried it, he was punished just like she had described. He had learned the folly of doing so when he was five.

"Yes."

Narcissa glared at him. "Merlin's staff, why would you do such a thing?"

"Because Potter deserved it!" Draco flared. "He's the one who started with me, refusing to be my friend the first day of school, acting like he was better than everybody because he was famous! He thinks Slytherins are beneath him and gets special treatment from all the teachers. Potter gets to be Seeker when he broke the rules at flying class, everyone feels sorry for him because he lost his parents. Even Professor Snape, who used to hate him, feels sorry for him now and thinks he's special. He made Potter his ward." If looks could have killed, Harry would have been dead on the floor.

"Draco, I never hated Mr. Potter. Nor do I feel sorry for him. I chose to make Mr. Potter my ward for my own reasons, which are none of your business," Severus said icily.

"I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me, Malfoy!" Harry snapped. "And I never asked to be famous. You acted like a stuck-up snot, that's why I didn't want to be friends with you."

"Boys!" Dumbledore cut in before the argument could escalate further. He fixed both boys with a stern glare. "Mr. Malfoy, did you also destroy Harry's watch, in addition to stealing it?"

"So what if I did? Potter doesn't deserve to have the professor as his guardian. He's a Gryffindor, what would he need with a Slytherin guardian? Potter could have any other professor in the school, he doesn't need to steal my Head of House." Draco said.

Narcissa looked like she wanted to die of shame. "Draco, how dare you speak so to the Headmaster? I didn't bring you up to act with such disrespect. Professor Dumbledore, please forgive my son's appalling lack of manners. I shall deal with him later. You have my sincere apologies for his misbehavior. I'm sure you must think me a terrible mother."

"Lady Narcissa, sometimes our children act in ways that they know are wrong. You are not responsible for the choices Draco has made. That responsibility is Draco's alone, as are the consequences." Dumbledore said gravely. "Mr. Malfoy, Hogwarts prides itself on being an institution where thievery is not tolerated. Normally, upon discovery of a thief, I would move to expel the offender. However, in your case, I would assume that your theft of Harry's watch was on impulse, was it not? You took it to get petty revenge on him for getting you in trouble and slighting you. Were you planning on returning the watch?"

"Yes, sir. I was going to send it to him anonymously by owl post in the Great Hall and see what he did. Until I found out that Professor Snape was his guardian and then I got mad." Draco admitted.

"You never intended to sell the watch?"

"No, sir."

"Because of those circumstances, I am willing to put you on probation until the end of the year. I want you to know, however, that your actions have shamed not only yourself but your House and this school. But I will give you a chance to reform yourself by doing . . .ah . . . what is the Muggle term . . ." He scratched his head. " . . .ah, community service. Is that the right trm, Harry?" Harry nodded. "So, you shall work in the library, assisting Madame Pince, her niece Lena, and Professor Snape in restoring the library for three hours on Fridays and Saturdays and any other night you happen to have free time. You shall also pay Harry the full value of the watch, since you willfully destroyed it. In addition to that, you also broke into the Gryffindor Quidditch locker room, for which Professor McGonagall shall deal with you."

"Mr. Malfoy," Professor McGonagall said firmly. "For your misconduct you shall receive detention with me at seven o'clock tonight and I shall take 75 points from Slytherin for your thievery."

Draco gaped at her. "Seventy-five points? Professor Snape, she can't do that!"

"She can, since you have trespassed against her House," Severus said flatly. "Do not make this worse, Mr. Malfoy. I am highly displeased as it is."

"But professor, what about Potter? He punched me in the nose. Why isn't he getting in trouble for fighting and assault?"

"Mr. Potter will be receiving detention with me tomorrow evening and I shall take twenty-five points from Gryffindor for his instigation of a fistfight." Severus said. "I shall also speak to him privately about several things."

"Are those terms acceptable to all of you?" Dumbledore asked.

Both professors and Narcissa agreed. Dumbledore handed the watch back to Snape. Narcissa promised to send a cheque around for the amount of the watch.

"Good. Mr. Malfoy, a word of advice. Next time you are thinking about stealing, think twice. For next time I shall not be lenient. Next time I shall snap your wand. Am I understood?"

"Yes, sir."

The meeting was over, and Snape, Harry, Draco, and Narcissa returned to the dungeons, where Severus ordered Harry to go and wait in his quarters while he had a small talk with Draco and Narcissa.

Harry went, knowing full well he was in for a long lecture when Snape came back. He settled down on the sofa and took out Lily's album and started to flip through it again.

Meanwhile, back in Snape's office, both Narcissa and Severus were attempting to alleviate Draco's jealousy by explaining that Severus had a duty not just to his Slytherins, but to all students in the school.

"Draco, as your Head of House, I am supposed to show Slytherins extra attention and guidance, however that does not mean I should neglect students from other Houses," Severus began. "My duty as a professor extends towards teaching and protecting all students."

"Even Gryffindors?" Draco demanded sullenly.

"Yes. Though Gryffindors do try my patience the most, which is why I am hard on some of them, and their recklessness and impulsiveness drive me insane. And even though Harry Potter is now my ward, it does not mean I shall show him favoritism above any of my students, Slytherin or no. I shall treat Mr. Potter like any other student in class and out of it like my child, as would any professor who is a parent on staff. So there is no need for you to so jealous, Mr. Malfoy. Had you come to me before with these concerns, you could have avoided all the trouble you are now in."

Draco's bottom lip trembled. He respected Professor Snape and felt ashamed that he had let the tall man down. "I . . .I'm sorry."

"And so you should be. You also owe Mr. Potter an apology," Narcissa spoke up.

"Mother!" Draco cried.

"Don't 'mother' me, young man! Your behavior has been appalling and I cannot believe that I am saying this, but a . . .a Muggleborn knows how to behave better than you, Draco Malfoy! Now you will apologize to Potter and serve your punishment with good grace, as it is better than you deserve."

"Yes, ma'am. Are you going to tell Father?"

"He will have to know sooner or later," Narcissa sighed. "However, it can be later rather than sooner. Are you sorry for what you have done?"

"Yes . . ." Draco admitted, then added, "Sort of . . ."

"What is that supposed to mean? Have you not learned your lesson yet?" his mother demanded sharply.

"No! I have!" Draco protested.

"Yet you still blame Potter for what you have done," Narcissa stated, reading her son like a textbook. "I see you still have a long way to go before you learn that your actions are your responsibility. What have I told you before? That you make your own mistakes and then you take the consequences." She picked up Snape's ruler off his desk. "Come here."

Draco paled. "No, please! I've learned my lesson. Dumbledore already punished me."

"That does not take away from my own punishment," Narcissa said firmly. "I warned you what would happen if I were called to school again, did I not? You are lucky I'm not doing this in public, in front of your whole House, Draco Luke Malfoy."

Draco reluctantly came to her.

Severus rose. "I shall leave you two alone, Narcissa. Send him to my quarters when you're finished, I'll be expecting him."

"Of course, Severus." Narcissa answered, taking her son over her knee.

Severus departed, as he was shutting the door, he heard Narcissa start to lecture. "I cannot believe a son of mine is a thief . . .!" followed by the sharp crack of his ruler on the seat of Draco's pants and Draco's yells. "Total disgrace to my House . . ." More swats followed.

Severus made haste to return to his quarters, where he needed to have his own discussion with Harry.

Harry was waiting with his hands clasped on his knees when Severus entered his apartment. To his surprise, the Potions Master did not look all that angry with him, but rather weary and disappointed. But somehow that made Harry feel worse than if Snape had raged at him and called him names. That he could have handled, because that was how the Dursleys had always treated him. But the disappointment visible in the black eyes was something else again.

Severus said nothing at first, simply called one of the house elves to bring a tea tray and some oatmeal squares. Only after he had fixed himself a cup of tea and sipped it did he turn to his ward, who was nervously crumbling a biscuit all over his uniform.

"Stop that," Severus ordered, sighing. "You needn't act as if I'm about to take a stick to the seat of your trousers." He removed the broken watch from his pocket.

"Sorry." Harry muttered, only then realizing what a mess he had made. He began to try and pick up the crumbs.

Severus waved his hand and the crumbs vanished. He then took his wand and tapped the watch, uttering a strong Repairing charm.

To Harry's utter delight, the watch mended itself in seconds, even the torn photo, and was as good as new. He cradled the watch in his palm and smiled. "Thank you, sir! Thanks so much!"

"You are welcome. All of this fuss over a watch." Severus wagged a finger at him. "Harry, why did you not let me know as soon as the watch went missing?"

"I didn't want you to think I was . . .irresponsible or anything," Harry said, hanging his head. "I mean, I wasn't all that sure if the watch was really gone or it had just fallen out somewhere and I thought if I said it might have been stolen you wouldn't believe me. You would have said it was an excuse to cover up my own carelessness."

"Do you truly believe that?" Severus put two fingers under Harry's chin and made the boy look at him. "After what we have been through, do you truly think that I would be so callus?"

"Yes. No. I just . . . didn't want you to be disappointed in me. The way my relatives always were."

"Ah, Harry. Your relatives were impossible for you to please because they didn't see you as a child needing their approval or attention. That is not the case with me. Since getting to know you better, I now know that you are capable of being responsible and appreciative of your possessions and especially that watch. I know that you would never be careless with it because you are not a spoiled brat used to getting everything you want. Had you told me sooner, we might have been able to discover Draco's theft earlier and saved yourself a great deal of anxiety and heartache." Snape crossed one booted foot over the other and paused to take a drink of tea. "Drink your tea."

Harry did so, then asked, very quietly, "Severus? Are you still disappointed in me for not coming to you?"

"No. Not anymore. I understand where you're coming from and how difficult it can be to trust that an adult will look out for you or even believe you when you tell the truth. But I would like you to remember this, if you are truthful with me always and admit when you are wrong, you shall not have to worry about disappointing me. I will do my best to be here if you need to talk and if something like this occurs again, do not hesitate to come to me. There is no weakness in asking for help."

"Yes, Severus." Then he added impishly. "How come you almost never ask, then?"

Severus' mouth twitched. "Because I, too, am a product of my upbringing. And a stubborn and proud Slytherin."

"Maybe you could learn to ask too . . .sometimes."

"Perhaps." Severus acknowledged. He finished off his tea and poured another cup. "As for your impulsive display of boxing in the corridor, Mr. Potter . . .let us say that I will not have a repeat of anything resembling it again, clear? You are old enough to know better and to control your temper."

"Yes, sir. I'm sorry. It won't happen again."

"See that it doesn't. The last thing you need is a reputation as a bully, and yes, I am aware Malfoy might have deserved what he got, nevertheless, you should exercise restraint over your emotions. That is paramount for a wizard, discipline over mind and body and emotions will help you control your magic. You have a strong talent and uncontrolled it could do great harm. So learn this lesson well. If provoked, walk away. If you can't walk away, call for a teacher. If no teacher is around, only then should you defend yourself, and try and make sure the damage is not permanent to your opponent. There is only one exception to that rule. If you're facing a monster or a dark wizard bent on taking your life, or someone in league with You-Know-Who, then you fight to the death."

"Okay, Severus. But what if it's two on one, or the student's trying to beat the crap out of me?"

"Then I shall teach you a few useful charms that will enable you to get away from them, such as a Shield Charm, a Repelling Charm and a Disarming Charm. And if anyone in this school is bullying you, you come to me immediately and I shall deal with them."

"Even if they're Slytherins?"

Severus gave him a sharp grin. "Oh, yes. My Slytherins know you are my ward, and if they have the sense God gave a mouse, they will never attempt to ambush you or harm you. Not on my watch."

Harry nodded. Hearing Snape say that made him feel safe and protected, as he never had before. He picked up a biscuit and ate it, then another one, until Severus told him to stop, he'd spoil his dinner.

Harry rolled his eyes, but stopped eating them. Then he finished his tea. "Severus?"

"Yes, Harry?"

"Would you mind if I . . . took a little nap before dinner? I'm sort of tired and achy."

Severus put a hand on his forehead. "No fever. Perhaps it's a reaction the vaccines you had earlier. Yes, you may have a lie down, but wait a moment. Mr. Malfoy will be stopping by and he has something to tell you."

"Like what?" Harry couldn't fathom what Malfoy could possibly have to say to him.

But he got his answer a moment later, when there came a knock on the door. Snape opened it and Draco walked in, somewhat stiffly. He came straight up to Harry and said, "I've come to apologize, Potter, for stealing your watch and breaking it. It was wrong." He held out a hand.

Harry froze. This was the last thing he had expected. He slowly gripped the other's hand, not sure if he trusted Malfoy's sincerity, but willing to give the other the benefit of the doubt. "Apology accepted, Malfoy."

Draco's lip curled slightly in a sneer, but his eyes looked . . .relieved. Or so Harry thought.

"I . . . have to go. Homework," the other muttered.

Then he retreated out the door, but not before Skull fired a parting salvo.

"Don't let the door hit you in the arse on your way out, Malfoy! Rrwa-a-a-k!"

The door slammed and Harry tittered.

Severus rolled his eyes. "Skullduggery, must you have a comment for everything?"

"Of course, Sev. I am a raven, and ravens always have the last word." He began to preen his long glossy tail feathers. "Did you know, that when they still had executions back in the Tower, during the time of old Harry VIII, we used to comfort the condemned by telling them jokes while the headsman swung the axe? It made them more . . . at ease. It was sort of like a good public service deed. Why, when my great-grandmama lived in the Tower, Queen Anne Boleyn went to the block and she told her not to worry, between one blink and the next she would see God. Very comforting, no?"

"Is that true?" Harry whispered to his guardian.

"Possibly. He has never truly lied, though he has been known to embroider the truth when it serves him." Severus admitted, scratching the raven gently.

Skull nipped him playfully. "It's true! Ravens carry the souls of the slain to the Land of the Dead, especially those who have died untimely, and then the Angel of Death comes to take them away."

"They do?"

"So my mother told me," replied the raven primly.

"Enough, Skullduggery. You'll give him nightmares."

The raven giggled. "Oh, I doubt that. Don't you know anything about kids his age? They love to be scared silly. Right, Harry?"

"Right," Harry said quickly, though he wondered if he would dream about ravens carrying his parents' souls to the Land of the Dead when he took his nap.

CICICICICI

Harry woke in time for supper in the Great Hall, having slept without any nightmares. He accompanied Snape to the Great Hall, where they separated, Harry going to sit with his friends at the Gryffindor table and Snape going to sit at the staff table in his usual spot between Minerva and Flitwick.

Severus was just about to eat a forkful of his cranberry walnut salad when Dumbledore cleared his throat and tapped his goblet lightly. "Attention, please!" he said, speaking just loud enough to be heard over the din of students. "I have a short announcement to make."

Severus froze with the fork halfway to his mouth. Please, by all that is good on the earth, let him not do what I think he's about to do.

All the professors looked up.

"It is my great pleasure to announce that we now have a parent on staff again." The old wizard went on, oblivious to the death glares Snape was shooting at him.

"We do?"

"Who's that?" asked Sprout. "Have we hired a new teacher?"

"No, but one of our Heads has recently adopted a son. Congratulations, Severus! You're now the surrogate father of our very own Harry Potter. Isn't it wonderful?"

Everyone froze.

Severus' fork fell to his plate with a clatter. Flushing, he picked it up, and met the somewhat shocked glances of his colleagues.

"Oh, my! Severus, who would have thought you'd had it in you?" gasped Pomona. "Oh, dear. That didn't come out right at all. I'm so sorry."

"Never mind, Pomona. I'm sure it will take getting used to, that the great dungeon bat is now Potter's legal guardian." Severus said dryly.

"I say, when did that happen?" muttered Quirrell. "Must have missed something."

"What made you decide to take the plunge, Snape?" asked Flitwick.

"Potter needed a guardian and someone to keep him out of trouble." Severus answered shortly, vowing to spike Dumbledore's sherbert lemons with a laxative potion someday soon.

"Well, I think it's wonderful!" gushed Poppy. "Harry has always needed a male influence."

"Yes, though you had better not try and steal my Seeker, Severus," Minerva joked.

"And take away your only star player?" drawled the other wickedly. "Wouldn't dream of it."

Minerva's eyes flashed. "Don't get cocky, Severus. My team is bursting with talent."

"We'll see about that." Severus chuckled. He took a large gulp of wine from his goblet, wishing it were not forbidden to get drunk while at school. He could feel all the eyes of the students suddenly zeroing in on him.

When he looked up to see why the sudden interest, he saw several owls making their way about the hall carrying the evening edition of The Daily Prophet in their talons and beaks. One stopped and dropped a copy off at his place and he unrolled it.

Smack in the middle of the front page was the following headline.

Potions Professor Becomes Guardian to Boy Who Lived!

Severus set down the paper and muttered, "Bloody hell!" before defiantly picking up his fork and beginning to eat his salad. He'd be damned if he'd let the gossip-mongers ruin his appetite.

At the Gryffindor table, Harry was also doing his best to ignore all the whispers and gasps and just eat his supper. He was hungry and not in the mood to field questions about his unorthodox guardian just yet. So he dug into his baked beans, ham, and corn, ignoring the glances and so forth until there came a thud and he looked up.

Neville had fallen off his bench, a dazed expression on his face.

Harry groaned. Why me? Why can't someone else ever get the publicity, like Malfoy for stealing my watch? Is that too much to ask?

Chapter End Notes:
A/N: I apologize for the long wait inbetween updates but I went away on vacation to Harry Potter World and when I came back ended up getting a very bad ENT (ear, nose, & throat) infection which is still clearing up and I couldn't write for several days. But I've finally updated and I thank everyone who is reading, reviewing and favoriting this story for their patience.

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter and please drop me a few words to let me know what part you liked best so I know people are still following this. I shall try to update faster as RL allows.