Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:
Betaed by Dream Painter
A Wizard's Night
The boy stood on the street corner in silence, rocking back on the heels of his feet as he waited in the growing cold of late October. Dark night was broken every block by a set of street lights that lined the road in all four directions. A crossroads.

He had blond hair that looked almost white in the darkness, a perfectly combed mess of pale locks with a fringe just covering his silver-blue eyes, and he wore an expensive suit of velvet that could only be described as Raven Black. It had a purple sheen when the light hit it just right and the material hugged his thin frame comfortably. He was waiting.

A constant stream of noise and movement blurred around the boy as he waited impatiently. After a few seconds he checked his watch and began to search the faces of strangers around him. It was Halloween and everyone had come out to play.

Men and women were ferrying their costumed children across the streets and towards inviting porch lights. The boy's mouth twitched as he watched, the closest to a smile he would allow himself. Silver-blue flicked from house to house, face to face until the boy gave up momentarily and he reached into a front pocket to pull out a piece of candy.

Devoid of any good feeling for the holiday, the boy still enjoyed the occasional treat.

"Draco! I'm sorry, mate, we got caught up in traffic," a familiar voice called out above the hum of sound.

The blond boy turned and found himself enveloped in the friendly arms of Harry Potter-Snape. The dark-haired boy was wearing a tattered office suit with sprinkles of fake blood across it, splattered against the dip at the base of his throat and trailing from one corner of his mouth.

"You came as a zombie?" Draco asked dryly as he dislodged himself from the other boy.

Harry grinned manically and did his best imitation of the Walking Dead, arms stretched out in front of him as he slowly walked in place. Draco rolled his eyes in a mixture of disgust and amusement.

"Where is Severus?" the blond asked.

Harry glanced back the way he had come and waved a dismissive hand. "Just parking the car. So, who did you come as?" His green eyes shone with childish excitement. "Let me guess, Artemis Fowl!"

Draco frowned. "No." He crossed his arms over his chest, drawing the velvet tight across his shoulders. "I didn't come as anything, because this whole holiday is foolish and I cannot believe that I let you drag me into this."

Harry tried to bite back the laughter that he felt bubbling up his throat. Draco Malfoy could be very stubborn when he wanted to be, but The-Boy-Who-Lived knew that his best friend would end up enjoying himself. It was just a matter of time.

"Staying out of trouble?"

Both boys jumped at the unexpected voice.

Severus Snape grinned down at them. "Boo," he said the word with the driest sense of humor.

"Dad, you know better than to sneak up on me like that!" Harry lightly punched his father in the shoulder. "You almost gave me a heart attack."

"Then you really could have joined the ranks of the undead," his father teased.

Draco shook his head. "You're both crazy for wanting to do this...no offense." He gave his godfather an apologetic nod.

Severus put an arm over Harry's shoulder and heaved a long suffering sigh. "Harry was insistent."

Harry pointed towards the closest house where three little girls in matching tutu's were just leaving, their plastic bags weighed down with candy. The Gryffindor grabbed his father and best friend and pulled them forward.

"Lets go!"

Draco allowed himself to be propelled after Harry for one reason. He loved to see his friend smile and it had been a long time since anything had meant so much to the dark-haired boy. Sharing a glance with Severus, the blond saw a similar motivation hiding behind those obsidian eyes.

They were at the door now and an elderly man opened it, a preposterously large bowl of candy in his hands.

"Trick-or-Treat!" Harry cried exuberantly.

The old man glanced over his glasses, first at Draco and then, slowly, over at Snape and for a moment everyone held their breath. Draco had his hand on his wand in a moment and waited to see if the man was going to make a scene about Harry being ‘too old' for candy and his silver-blue gaze hardened.

"Happy Halloween, dear boy! I'd have to go with Treat...here, choose whichever ones you like." The old man's smile was blinding in its sincerity.

Harry dug into the bowl and pulled out three of his favorite mini-candy bar brands.

"Thank you, sir, and a Happy Halloween to you too!"

Then they were moving on to the next house on the street and Draco's fingers relaxed from around his wand. It took another two blocks, but eventually Harry even talked the blond haired boy into admitting that he might be having a little fun. Together, an unlikely family, the trio experienced the shared thrill of going Trick-Or-Treating on the London streets.

"This is like Christmas!" Harry exclaimed at the end of it all as he looked down into his bag stuffed full of every type, size and color of candy imaginable.

Severus let his stoic mask slip then, in the company of the two boys he considered his sons, and he smiled. Draco dug out a Snickers bar and carefully began to peel back the wrapping. Somewhere along the way the blond boy had started grinning and he couldn't seem to stop.

"I told you it would be fun, didn't I?" Harry elbowed his friend in the ribs.

"Oof!" Draco exaggerated, rubbing his side. "Yes, you did...and I guess you were right."

"We are doing this again next year, no excuses." Harry said with a grin. 

Severus and Draco exchanged a glance and the blond boy shrugged his shoulders.

"I guess it wasn't so bad." the boy agreed.

"Indeed." Snape pulled a ring of keys from an inner pocket of his robe. "You two wait here, I'm going to get the car."

As the two best friends waited they began to sift through the candy, giggling over some of the more oddly named muggle brands. It was a good night to be a wizard.

The End.
Chapter End Notes:
Please, review. :)