Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
This one's a bit shorter than usual, but I liked the way I ended it.
Memories of Darkness

Defense Against the Dark Arts had turned out to be a lot of fun with Snape as a teacher (thought few students would admit it), mainly because the majority of class time was practical. That afternoon found the sixth year Gryffindors and Ravenclaws once again practicing non-verbal spells, which they had been working on every Friday since the beginning of the year. This Harry enjoyed a lot, considering he had improved at non-verbal spells significantly in the past few weeks. Compared to how Harry had been feeling earlier in the day, he felt spectacular, and, after a big lunch he was quite glad to throw himself headfirst into the course material.

"Gryffindors line up across the wall behind me, Ravenclaws the wall opposite," ordered Severus, moving the desks aside with a sweep of his wand.

Noise erupted immediately as the students made their way to the appropriate wall. Silence quickly resumed however, as the students returned their attention to Professor Snape.

"Today you will be duelling," he drawled, pacing across the empty floor at the center of the classroom. "Your objective is to disarm your opponent, nothing more. You are required to use non-verbal spells. Say a spell aloud and you will be disqualified. Any questions?"

The class shuffled and looked about the room, nobody raised their hand.

"Good," Severus said, "Longbottom and Patil, you are up."

Harry watched as his classmates went up, two by two. Some duels were longer than others, and some were abysmally short. Not one student tried to do more than disarm their opponent, something Harry was grateful of, remembering the duel that had taken place between he and Draco back in second year. He was extremely glad that Draco was no longer shooting snakes at him, and couldn't help but wonder what had caused him to change. Returning his thoughts to the duel, he recalled just how much he had hated Severus back them. It was sort of hard to believe. Harry turned his gaze toward Severus, who was watching the students carefully as they duelled. He had the strangest feeling that he'd forgotten something all of a sudden. The thought of the snake had brought it on, he supposed.

In an instant the classroom left Harry's eyes, as snippet of a memory overtook his sight. He was standing in the dark tunnel to Shrieking Shack, peering through a crack at a black boot, twitching upon the floor. Something dark was lying in a pool on the floor as well. In his mind he moved away the object that was obscuring his view. With a lurch in his stomach Harry realised that the liquid on the floor was blood. And the boot belonged to Severus. Flashes of what happened took over Harry, filling him with horror as he remembered what happened.

"Potter!" a voice barked, sounding far away.

Suddenly the images left his mind, and Harry was once again aware that he was standing in the classroom and that everyone was staring at him.

"It's your turn," Severus said, jerking his head toward the centre of the classroom, where another student was waiting for Harry to take his place.

Numbly, without feeling his feet move across the floor, Harry walked over and faced the Ravenclaw, his wand at the ready. But his mind was not. They bowed. Across from him the Ravenclaw swung his wand into position, and a jet of red light shot at Harry. Harry suddenly realised what was happening, just in time for the spell to hit him. His wand flew out of his hand and he was blasted back into the stone wall.

The class let out a collective gasp and Ron and Hermione dashed to help him up. Harry was still in a daze, not from the spell however.

"Harry, are you all right?" Hermione said from far off, waving her hand in front of his face as the bell rang overhead.

He didn't move or say anything as students filed out of the classroom, leaving Ron and Hermione the only students left besides him.

"It's all right Miss Granger, I can handle this," said Severus smoothly, shooing Harry's friends out of the classroom and shut the door, ignoring their protests.

"Harry, what is wrong?" asked Severus once they were gone, sounding worried as he made Harry sit down on a desk.

"You're dead," Harry whispered sadly, Severus froze.

"So you've remembered," Severus said eventually, taking a seat in a desk as well.

"It was Nagini that bit you, wasn't it?"

"Yes,"

"I think I was older than I am now ..." Harry said, "I'm not really sixteen am I?"

"Correct," Severus said, "I'm not really sure why your mind took you back to this year, but it did. Made it easier for me though ..."

"Is that why you're different than the others, because you're not really alive anymore? You've come back to help me ... haven't you?" Harry blurted out suddenly.

"Yes, call it my chance at redemption," he said softly. "It was your mother who suggested I come ..."

"Huh?" Harry asked, confused.

"Well, everybody has a ... for lack of a better word ... guardian angel out there. I guess I'm yours," Severus muttered rather uncomfortably, picking at the wood surface of the desk he sat in. "Your mother and father are looking out for you too, but Lily thought it would be better for me to come, she has her reasons I guess."

"Well, if Mum or Dad were here, I don't think I'd ever want to wake up ..." Harry told Severus softly.

"That's what she thought as well."

"So, when I wake up you won't be there," Harry whispered, "I was ... sort of hoping that I'd get to talk to you when I woke up. Guess I thought wrong."

"Yes, but I will be looking out for you regardless," Severus told him quietly.

"Thanks," Harry smiled.

"You're welcome, now go tell Granger and Weasley I haven't killed you, they are probably worried."

"Okay, see you Severus," Harry said, feeling almost as though he'd known all along. He glanced back at Severus once more before leaving and closing the door, not knowing what was taking place back in the classroom as he chatted with his friends.

~~

"Well done Saint Sev," laughed a young woman sitting in a desk nearby, green eyes dancing with light.

"Very funny Lily, now get out of here before someone sees you," Severus said, glancing at his friend and rolling his eyes as she faded from view once more. "What if he'd seen you? Would have ruined everything ..."

Somewhere nearby a man snorted in disagreement.

"If that was you James Potter you'd better stay invisible!" barked Severus grouchily.

"Aww take a bath Snape ..." the voice replied lightly.

Severus looked mutinous.

~~

"What was that?" Harry asked Ron and Hermione, turning to look back at the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom.

"What was what?" Hermione asked alarmed.

"Thought I heard something roar a moment earlier," Harry said as they walked down the corridor. "Whatever it was did not sound happy ..."

"Maybe Hagrid has a new pet," Ron suggested. "Another dragon?"

"Maybe," Harry shrugged, looking uncertain. "Ah, you're probably right ..."

Chapter End Notes:
Hope you liked it. Please review!