Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

A special thanks to Lady Lanera for beta'ing this for me.

Thanks, Lan!

Check out her stuff. It's amazing!

Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi all! Okay, so this is meant to be a oneshot. And a oneshot it will stay...for now. :D

Thanks for reading!
Chapter 1

The sun was high in the soft blue sky basking the earth in warm light. A gentle breeze caused the leaves, all different shades of green, to rustle lightly. In the trees a mother blue bird was pushing her young out of the nest, teaching them how to fly, aware of the children sitting underneath her home. The students under the tree and across the rest of the extensive grounds were talking and laughing excitedly. They were making promises to write their friends and saying how much they would miss each other, but almost all were excited to go home.

If one listened closely, one could almost hear the castle sighing as she watched her children prepare to leave. Most would return in a few months and she'd welcome them back with open arms. Equally glad to have the break as she was to see them returning to her. A few, however, would never again walk upon her ancient stones or allow her to guard them as they slept. Some would be gone forever, but she would never forget them. She would remain on her foundation, so they would always know where she was. So they could always come back to her.

Inside her walls in an office that had seen much over the years, another of her children wanted to leave her. A boy she was very fond of, seeing as he had spent much of his life within her walls. And she was torn. Because while she wanted all her children to be happy, she also wanted to protect them to shelter them from danger. As always, all she could do was listen silently as her child decided. And so, she waited and watched her child.

Severus wanted to pace. He wanted to jump up from the horridly comfortable red chair in front of the Headmaster's desk and pace. His toes were curling and uncurling in his shoes, his nose was itching, and his jaw was clenched. His face, however, remained stony, and his fingers lay calmly against arm rest. Outwardly, he was the essence of calmness and serenity despite his tumultuous torrent of feelings.

"I'm afraid it just isn't safe outside of Hogwarts," Dumbledore said emotionlessly with a frown. "The safety of your home was compromised, Severus. You, Aurora and Harry must stay here for the time being until a safe house can be found."

"Albus," Aurora's voice came from the chair beside Severus. Her eyes were piercing as she sat straight in the chair looking directly at Albus. "We can put stronger wards up. Besides the Dark Lord will not be returning now. You said so yourself."

Albus sighed, slumping a bit behind his desk. "Yes, all the horcruxes have been destroyed, including the one in young Harry, but it is still too dangerous."

"How is it still dangerous?" Aurora's voice became a bit deeper. Severus hoped Albus knew what he was doing. He didn't feel like training a new Headmaster because his pregnant hormone charged wife killed Dumbledore.

"Did you or did you not find and destroy all the horcruxes?" questioned Aurora, her arms crossed.

"Yes, but—" Albus was interrupted.

"And did Quirrell inadvertently destroy the horcrux inside of Harry?"

"Yes, however—"

"THEN WHY IN MERLIN'S NAME CAN'T WE GO HOME!"

"Aurora," Severus spoke quietly, deciding to step in before she hurt herself or the baby. Pointedly looking at her swollen abdomen, he continued doing his best not to sound commanding, "Calm yourself." A moment later, when his voice was calm and void of emotion he said, "Albus, what is so dangerous that my family isn't safe in our own home?"

Albus tore his gaze away from Aurora with a sigh. Leaning back in his chair, he leaned into his left hand focusing his eyes on an ink stain on the desk. Severus was struck by how old the man looked. The hunting of the horcruxes had taken their toll on the wizard. The wrinkles around his eyes were deeper and those around his mouth longer. His hair, including his beard while still white, was thinning.

Severus suddenly came to the realization that he would outlive his mentor.

"I didn't want to tell you," Albus said quietly, practically whispering. "I just want to protect you both. You've been through so much already. The sacrifices you've made over the years…"

"Albus," Severus said quietly, suddenly concerned as the Headmaster's voice trailed off. Rising from his chair, he walked around the desk to Albus's side. Kneeling down, Severus looked into the ancient ice blue eyes of the supposedly most powerful wizard alive. He didn't need to use Legilimency to know what had happened. It was one of his worst fears since hearing about the escapes from Azkaban that morning. He sighed and tore his eyes away from the piercing blue ones. Looking at Aurora, he answered her questioning with a slight shake of his head. He would explain later. Now was not the time.

Snape's eyes shifted around the room as he tried to think of something to say. The uncomfortable silence stretched on until finally his eyes settled on the brightly colored tin on the Headmaster's desk. His lips tugged up just slightly at the corners in what was almost a smile. Reaching over, he picked up the tin easily popping off the top.

Holding the tin in front of the wizened wizard, Severus very cordially asked, "Would you care for a lemon drop?"

Albus's neck snapped up and his eyes found Severus's serious ones. Severus couldn't see Aurora, but could feel her looking at him. Probably wondering what the hell was wrong with him. But Severus didn't move. He kept his face perfectly serious as he waited for the shock to wear off.

The seconds ticked by.

Until Albus suddenly threw his head back and laughed.

It was a wonderful sound, Severus decided, even as he remained in place with only a raised eyebrow. The hand Albus had been leaning into came to rest on Severus's shoulder while the other hand moved to pick out a lemon drop.

"Thank you, my dear boy!" Albus said smiling, popping the lemon drop into his mouth. He gave Severus's shoulder one final squeeze.

Severus replaced the tin without a word before standing and moving to the front of the desk once more. Taking Aurora's arm and ignoring her questioning look, he helped her stand before turning back to Albus.

"Good evening, Albus. Thank you," Severus said with a nod. He gently guided Aurora out before she could start asking questions.

Walking slowly down the spiral staircase, he gently held Aurora's elbow and helped his pregnant wife down the stairs.

"Severus," Aurora asked once they reached the landing, "why didn't we just take the floo?"

"I'll explain once we reach our quarters," Severus replied, not at all surprised when his wife of five years rolled her eyes and sighed at his paranoia.

Aurora wasn't about to stay quiet, however, even as they found the secret passage that would take them straight to the dungeons. "How exactly are we going to tell Harry, who has spoke of nothing else for the past week, mind you, that he can't go to his new home? And, Severus, when I give birth to our baby in a couple of weeks, I want to take him or her home, not the damn school."

"I know, Aurora, and I may have a solution to that, which I will discuss with you in our quarters. These walls listen," Severus said in almost a whisper as he glared at any of the students they passed in the halls. "As for Harry," Severus paused, attempting to come up with a solution, but found none available, "I don't know."

"We promised him a home, Severus," Aurora said quietly.

"I know," was the only thing Severus could think to say.

Before long the couple reached their quarters and Severus braced himself before opening the door. He was therefore surprised not to see his newly adopted son in the sitting room awaiting their return. He had told Harry that they would be leaving shortly after their meeting with the Headmaster was over, so that Harry would be ready.

"Harry?" Aurora called, walking towards the boy's bedroom.

Immediately, the eleven year old's head popped out from the door frame. Harry's smile reached from ear to ear with his white teeth on display for everyone to count. His eyes were alight like a five-year-old's on Christmas morning.

"Yeah?" said Harry coming fully out of his room, practically bouncing towards them. He'd changed from his school uniform into the new clothing they had bought him upon discovering the state of his old clothes. "Are we leaving now? All my stuff is packed! I even folded my clothes like you told me to! I didn't think it would—"

"Harry," Severus interrupted softly, a vise clamped around his heart. He didn't want to disappoint the child. Harry deserved to spend the summer in his home, just as much as his friends. "Harry, I'm afraid we won't be going home this summer."

Harry's smile immediately turned upside down, his mouth hanging open a bit. His eyes that had shown happiness a second before now peered out from behind his glasses in questioning disbelief.

"Oh," was all Harry said.

"Harry," Severus said stepping closer to the child. Reaching out, he went to place a hand on Harry's shoulder. The boy jerked away, though.

"It's…it's, okay. I understand," Harry said backing away towards him room.

"We haven't even told you why, Harry. How can you understand if you don't know why?" Aurora asked softly taking a small step towards him.

Harry shook his head from side to side. "Doesn't matter."

"It does matter, Harry," Severus responded, the vise around his heart clamping down tighter with each passing second.

Harry shook his head once again violently. "May I go to my room now?"

Severus almost said no. They needed to talk some more. He needed to explain to Harry why they weren't going home. But the boy was in no state to talk.

"Yes, Harry," Severus said but quickly added, "we are not done talking yet, however. We will finish discussing this when you've calmed down a bit. Understand?"

Harry didn't speak just nodded acceptance.

"All right, if you need us, we'll be in our bedroom."

Harry jerked his head up and down before dashing into his room, slamming the door behind him.

"Well," Aurora said, once the echoing had died off. "That went better than expected."

Severus snorted, turning slowly he headed into his and Aurora's bedroom. Entering the room, he moved towards the bed taking a seat on the edge. Placing his elbows on his knees, he lowered his head to his hands, effectively hiding his face. He hoped Aurora would forgive him.

"Severus," Aurora said quietly. Her voice was full of concern. Sitting down next him on the bed, she put an arm behind him so she could rest her arm on his back as she ran her fingers through his hair. "What's all this about?"

Severus swallowed the lump that had been forming in his dry throat. Taking a deep breath, he steeled himself from what was about to come. "I'm sorry, Aurora. I just…I was trying to protect my family."

Aurora's brows knitted together and she tilted her head to one side. Her voice was a bit firmer when she spoke, "Severus, what are you talking about? What does protecting us have to do with anything? And why doesn't Albus think we're safe in our own home?"

Severus took another deep breath. After finding his courage, he sat up straight and turned to face Aurora, his left leg resting on the bed.

"Lucius and Bellatrix escaped Azkaban this morning and are still at large," Severus said looking into his wife's concerned and understanding blue eyes. "Lucius has been to our home before. He knows the wards. He'd be able to break through them without much effort."

"I see," said Aurora with a sigh. "That's a good reason to stay here I suppose. But what did you mean earlier? When you said you may know a solution?"

Severus closed his eyes for a moment and said a small prayer that Aurora would forgive him, he opened them once more. "Aurora, please believe me. I was trying to protect them."

"Who, Severus?"

"My parents."

Aurora blinked. Then blinked again. "I thought they were dead? I know your mother is. It was in the papers years ago. And you never mention your father, so I just assumed—Damn it, Severus!"

Severus shook his head from side to side. "A well planned escape. That's all it was. My mother wanted to disappear from the Wizarding world, Aurora. There was only one way she could cut all times with them, by being dead. I swore years ago I'd never tell anyone. They want to be safe. How could I deny them that?"

"Do you believe they'll let us stay with them? For the summer?" Aurora inquired softly, though Snape could hear some of the underlying anger in her voice.

Severus shrugged. "I don't know. All we can do is ask. But I've hardly kept in contact with them over the years." Severus paused for a moment, collecting his thoughts. "I've burned a lot of bridges, Aurora. I don't know how many can be rebuilt."

Aurora reached out to gently run a hand through his hair once more. Offering her husband a small smile, she said, "We should try, Severus. I'm sure, if they're like most grandparents anyway, they'll be thrilled to meet their grandson."

"Not to mention my pregnant wife of five years who they've never even heard of," scoffed Severus. He then laid his head on her shoulder for a moment breathing in the scent of lavender and vanilla before raising his eyes to meet hers. "Are you angry I never told you?"

"A bit," Aurora answered truthfully. "I'm angrier that you would abandon them in some asinine attempt to protect them."

Severus sighed, opening his mouth to explain, but a noise at the open doorway stopped him. Turning his head towards the sniffle, the vise around Severus heart clenched again. Harry was leaning against the doorframe. His arms wrapped around his torso in a sort of self hug. His red rimmed eyes were moist still, though there were currently no tears on his flushed cheeks. His breathing was hitched from his efforts not to cry.

"Harry," Severus said, extending an arm to the boy in a clear invitation to move closer.

"Why?" Harry asked. His lip began to tremble as he remained in the doorway. "Why can't we go home?"

Severus didn't get a chance to answer before Harry started talking again.

"I've been good, haven't I?" Harry started sucking in deep breaths. Severus could tell it was taking a lot out of his boy to force away the sobs.

"Harry…" began Aurora soothingly.

"Whatever it is I did, I'm sorry!" Harry interrupted. A tear managed to escape his eye despite his best efforts. His voice went up an octave as he continued, "I won't do it again! Promise!"

Severus didn't say anything. He just stood up from the bed and closed the distance between himself and his distraught child. When he was right in front him, he bent down enough to wrap his arms around the child's waist. Standing, he lifted the boy up with him, carrying him to his and Aurora's bed.

Harry immediately wrapped his arms and legs around the Potions Master. He could feel the boy burrowing his head into his neck. His chin dug painfully into Severus's collarbone. Harry was a bit too big to be carried this way. Granted, the boy was still underweight and not that heavy, but the boy was eleven, almost twelve-years-old. However, it was only a few steps to the bed, and Harry was sobbing before he could even sit down.

After maneuvering Harry so both his legs were off to his left side, Severus began rocking him gently. His attention was focused solely on calming Harry, but he felt Aurora come up behind him on the bed. Leaning against his back, she reached around with her right hand to run her fingers through the messy black hair of their son.

"Sshhh…" Severus attempted to quiet his son's sobs and ease his fears, "There's no need for this, Harry. We aren't leaving you."

"Never, Harry," Aurora added. Her hand still ran though the messy black locks. "We will never leave you."

This was hardly the first time he and Aurora had to comfort the child. From the first week of school, it had been blatantly obvious to anyone who bothered to notice that something was wrong with Harry's home life. Harry did not trust any adults with the exception of Hagrid and flinched away from physical contact with others. Convincing Minerva to send her little lion cub to Poppy for a complete physical was easy enough; however, the results from that physical were still hard to swallow. Removing Harry from the Dursleys' care was hardly an issue either, and surprisingly neither was finding him another guardian. Severus had no idea that Lily made out a separate will from James asking for Harry to be placed in Severus's care if Sirius Black and Petunia were unable to care for him. All that had taken place just before Christmas. Since then, he and Aurora had dealt with Harry's nightmares and insecurities on a regular basis.

After a few moments later, Harry's tears slowed and his breathing even out; though, his fingers still clutched at Severus's robes and his head remained tucked into Severus's chest. Severus always wondered how the child could get any air at all with his face pressed firmly against his robes. But it was a something Harry did every time he was held, almost as though he was afraid someone would take him away if he didn't hold on with every fiber of his being.

"Harry," Severus said quietly, "can I explain now?"

Without lifting his face up, Harry shook his head no. His fingers tightened their hold just the slightest bit.

"Harry," Aurora said patiently. Her fingers stopped their movements while her hand remained on the top of his head. "Sweetie, we aren't leaving you. We can't go home this summer because some of Voldemort's followers are looking for us."

Harry seemed to process that bit of information for a moment before finally turning his head to look at Severus and Aurora. Harry's eyes were red and his face flushed. His hold never loosened, telling Severus he wasn't about to move anytime soon; though, his breathing was deep and even.

"So, it wasn't because of what happened with the Stone?" asked Harry quietly.

"No, Harry," Snape answered, "we already took care of that, remember?" Without waiting for a response, Severus continued, "You're grounded for two weeks, no desserts till your birthday, and no flying till then either. Does that ring a bell?"

Harry scrunched his nose and sneered as though he smelled something that had been rotting for a week.

"Don't give me that," Severus said sternly as he helped Harry move off his lap to sit beside him on the bed. "You know very well what you did to earn your punishment."

Before rubbing his eyes with the heels of his hands, Harry wiped his nose on his arm, causing Severus to grimace.

"So, we have to stay here? All of us?" Harry asked, sounding like a very small child.

"Not exactly," Severus answered before sighing. "First, all of us," he clarified for his child's benefit, "are going to ask my parents if we can stay with them."

"Your parents?" Harry's voice was still quiet, but his tone gave way to his excitement. "Are they going to be my grandparents now? I mean, you adopted me, so you're my parents, which means they're my grandparents now, right?"

"I'm sure they'll be honored that you've given them that title," Severus answered patiently. "However, you are not allowed to tell your friends that you will be staying with them."

"Why?"

"Because your grandparents do not wish to be part of the Wizarding World. Also, it could prove dangerous if someone other than your friends were to discover our whereabouts."

"Oh, okay," Harry replied simply.

Severus rolled his eyes at the reply before smirking, "Whatever happened to the days when you showed me some respect? When it was, 'yes, sir' and 'no, sir' not this 'oh' and 'okay'. Well?"

Behind him, Severus heard Aurora snort, but ignored her. Instead, he watched Harry smile impishly. His eyes held a mischievous twinkle.

"And what days would those be, Dad? The ones in your dreams?"

"Why, you little brat," Severus growled in mock seriousness. He quickly pushed Harry down on the bed and began tickling him. Harry squealed in shock, causing Severus to pray the boy's voice would change soon. However, he soon began laughing. His laughter was soon joined by Aurora's as she helped hold Harry down. Even Severus couldn't keep the smile off his face. He eventually released a deep chuckle of his own.

It didn't matter where they had to live this summer. As long as he had his family, Severus would be happy and content.

Chapter End Notes:
So...what do you think? Questions? Comment? Concerns?

What did you think of Harry's behavior?