Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 20

 

“Headmaster,” Snape said, nodding as the regal wizard stepped out of the fireplace.

“Severus,” Dumbledore purred in response as he brushed off his long violet robes. “I trust you and Harry are both well?”

“Indeed,” Snape said through pursed lips. He had still not reconciled himself to this unnecessary relocation.

“Ah, Harry,” Dumbledore said with a warm smile as Potter entered the room, dragging his trunk behind him. “I see that you are packed.” Dumbledore pulled out a pocket watch and checked the time. “The Grangers are expecting you in 15 minutes.”

Snape watched as Potter glanced around the small sitting room.

“Looking for something, Potter?” Snape asked in his characteristic scornful tone.

“No, sir,” Potter replied quickly, schooling both his features and his gaze.

“Well, then, Harry,” chimed in Dumbledore, “I can escort you—“

“There is no need, Headmaster,” Snape interrupted. “I am more than capable of delivering Mr. Potter to the agreed upon location.”

Dumbledore raised an eyebrow and surveyed his potions professor, meeting the man’s steely gaze. “Very well,” he sighed. “I will leave you to it, then, Severus. Please give my warmest regards to Miss Granger and her parents.”

Snape nodded once before turning his back on his employer in favour of his ward. “Potter, do you have everything you need?”

“Yes, sir.”

“There is an apparition point one-quarter of a mile from here,” Snape said as he walked toward the rear of the house. He paused at the back door and spoke to Harry, who had followed him without complaint. “Hold out your hand.”

Potter looked momentarily puzzled but complied.

With a flick of his wand, Snape cast a non-verbal shrinking spell on Potter’s trunk. The miniaturized version landed efficiently on Potter’s open palm. “Do not lose it,” Snape said, leading the way out the door as Potter stuffed his now tiny trunk into the pocket of his jeans. “Remind me to resize it for you when we arrive.”

 


 

Harry walked quickly alongside Snape in an effort to keep up with the man’s long, purposeful strides. Snape walked as if the hounds of hell were at his heels. Dread tingled up Harry’s spine. Had Snape’s true allegiance been discovered, or even suspected? Would Death Eaters, or the Dark Lord himself, be waiting for them? Harry shuddered at the thought and nearly knocked into Snape when the wizard stopped abruptly.

Snape steadied him with a firm grip on Harry’s upper arm. “Retrieve your invisibility cloak and put it on.”

Harry did so, leaving his head uncovered.

“In a moment, we will be stepping beyond the bounds of my property. When we do so, the wards will fall. We will apparate immediately.” Snape paused and seemed to consider something. “Have you ever experienced side-along apparition before?”

Harry shook his head.

“Are you prone to motion sickness?” Snape inquired.

Harry pondered this. He used to be able to spin on the merry-go-round for hours, but no more. As long as he was in control of the motion—such as when he swooped and dove on his broomstick—he was fine. But put him in the backseat of a car on windy roads, or let him swing on a park swing one too many times, and he was doomed. “Yes,” Harry finally answered.

Snape rolled his eyes. “Of course you are. Can anything be easy with you, Potter?”

Harry felt a wave of irritation, but for once, Snape’s face was not marked with derision at Harry’s shortcomings. Instead the older wizard seemed only mildly chagrined.

 “Very well,” Snape sighed. “We can do this the easy way or the hard way. I will leave the choice up to you.”

“Sir?” Harry asked, confused.

“In order for side-along apparition to be successful, both persons must maintain physical contact. The more physical contact they achieve, the less the discomfort for the witch or wizard being transported.”

Harry bit his lip. “What sort of discomfort?”

“In short, you will feel as if you are being sucked through a small tube while your insides are being turned inside out. I would be surprised if you managed not to get sick on the other end.”

Harry swallowed. “Is that the hard way or the easy way?”

“Neither. That is reality. However, the greater the physical contact between us, the more I can shield you from the uncomfortable sensations.”

“How?”

Snape pinched the bridge of his nose in what Harry suspected was impatience. “One does tend to develop a tolerance after a while. Now, what will it be, Potter? Physical discomfort before or after?”

“Er,” Harry stammered, clearly not understanding what Snape was referring to. He had the feeling that Snape didn’t much want to explain the situation either.

“Typical side-along apparition between... acquaintances... involves the person being transported to hold tightly to the apparating witch or wizard’s arm.”

“And for others?” Harry prompted.

“For close friends and family members, a tight embrace allows the witch or wizard to transport their loved ones in a much more comfortable manner.”

“In other words,” Harry said, grimacing, “I can do an impression of an octopus now, or puke all over the Grangers’ front doorstep when I arrive.”

“Precisely.”

Harry was about to say he’d take his chances with being sick when Snape’s words came back to him: Trust, Potter. It’s all about trust. You need to trust someone. Harry closed his eyes for a moment and took a deep breath. “All right. Let’s try the easy way. The octopus way.”

Snape nodded once. “You will cover yourself entirely with your cloak and grasp my arm tightly. Then we will exit through the back gate. If I sense any sort of danger or attack, I will apparate us immediately to safety. If not…”

“How likely is an attack?” Harry interrupted, his pulse quickening.

“If not,” Snape continued forcefully, ignoring Harry’s question, “then you may move into my arms and grasp me tightly around the middle. Is that clear?”

“Yes, sir.”

Snape looked sharply at Harry. “Whatever happens, Potter, hold on.”

Harry nodded. Snape suddenly reminded him of Mad-Eye Moody, the words constant vigilance echoing in his head.

Harry slipped the invisibility cloak over his head and reached for Snape. He grasped Snape’s right forearm firmly, feeling a solid mass of muscle ripple beneath his touch. Together, they strode through the back gate, Harry walking in step beside Snape such that a casual observer would not notice anything amiss.

The moment they stepped beyond the wards, Harry’s ears buzzed and his eyes stung. Harry felt Snape on full alert next to him. Heart hammering painfully in his chest, Harry tightened his grip on Snape’s arm. He ached to reach for his wand, but Snape’s instructions had been clear: Whatever happens, Potter, hold on.