Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 23

Severus was sitting at the small dining table in his private quarters eating breakfast extremely early Monday morning and was contemplating the day ahead. The day before a new term was always a busy one for him. Normally during the two week holiday, he would work on his lesson plans for the next few months, brew various antidotes for the dangerous potions he would be teaching the coming term, and assist the medi-witch in the hospital wing with brewing the potions she would need. Under normal circumstances, he would spend today cleaning and preparing his dungeon classroom for the remaining term.

This year, however, during the two week holiday he was only able to brew the potions for the hospital wing and his needed antidotes. That meant he would need to get the classroom ready and work on his lesson plans today. It was too much work and there was not enough time to complete it all.

The important thing for today was getting the classroom ready and completing at least a week's worth of lesson plans. Of course, the more plans he could complete, the better. He decided he would spend the evenings during the rest of the week working on the remainder of the plans he didn't get to. Luckily he didn't need to do much to the plans. Having taught the subject for many years, he mostly followed the same lesson plans every year. He just had to tailor them for the current batch of students. Today he wouldn't leave the confines of his classroom and quarters except to attend the required staff meeting in the afternoon.

Severus wasn't going to complain about today's workload though. He wouldn't give up the time he had spent with Harry for anything. Yes, they had problems; more than a few, and the two had a lot to work through, but having to spend all day today working on lessons plans was worth it. That made him realize how much he still needed to explain to the boy. Especially what was said at the park a few days prior.

Having finished his breakfast, Severus headed over to his classroom to begin the cleaning and the long day ahead of him.

~SH~

The late morning sunlight glinted off the bright white snow as Harry flew around the Quidditch pitch Monday. He was getting in some last minute flying time before his fellow students arrived back to Hogwarts later that afternoon. It wasn't until he kicked off the ground over an hour before that he realized how much he missed flying. True, he wasn't flying on his own broom, but at least he was in the air. With that thought in mind, he began wondering if he'd be able to get his broom back now that Professor Umbridge was no longer at Hogwarts. That would be one thing he would talk to his Head of House about before the week was over. He wanted his Firebolt back. He was tired of having to use the school's brooms. It actually surprised him that he forgot all about his Firebolt until this morning.

While flying high above the stands, Harry's thoughts of course drifted towards the week he had spent at Spinners End with Professor Snape. He knew his emotions were running all over the place near the end of his stay there. One minute he hated the man, the next he couldn't stand being away from him. And to make it worse, the man himself was confusing. Only a few times had he acted like the greasy git he knew from Hogwarts. The rest of the time he was acting almost normal, like how Remus and Sirius would act around him. And even though the professor was acting different and he didn't mind the new side of him, Harry knew that it was all part of the professor's joke on him. As much as he wanted to at times, he wouldn't fall for it. He didn't want to get hurt when the man decided to end it all. It only seemed right, then, that the professor should stay as his hated potions master; the way he was before the holidays. He would try to forget everything that happened that week.

As Harry made a sweep around the hoops farthest from the castle preparing to practice a Wronski Feint, he noticed that it was beginning to snow. Deciding it was time to head back inside, he instead flew safely down to the ground. As he landed, he felt a flash of pain in his left leg. He almost ended up sprawled on the snow covered grass as his leg gave a throbbing spasm the second he put weight on it. He gave his leg a few shakes then headed up to the castle, limping slightly for a few steps before resuming his normal walk.

A couple of hours later after a quiet lunch with a majority of the professors, sans Professor Snape, Harry returned to the Gryffindor common room to relax. Walking over to the table closest to the spiral staircase, he grabbed the puzzle book the potions master bought him last week and curled up in front of the fireplace and began working on the puzzles.

So caught up in the book, Harry didn't know what time it was until he heard his noisy housemates spilling in to the common room from the portrait hole hours later. Most ignored Harry's presence except for Ron and Hermione. Upon entering and seeing Harry sitting in front of the fire, they headed there directly; however they were still pretty much focused on each other, the two-week holiday only aiding their infatuation with the other.

"Hiya mate," Ron said as he hit Harry on the shoulder in greeting, and then sat down.

Harry winced at Ron's greeting and absentmindedly rubbed his shoulder. "Hi. How were both of your holidays?" He closed the puzzle book as Hermione took a seat next to him.

"Mine was great," Ron replied. "Hermione stayed for a week and her and my family…" Ron stopped speaking as he finally turned his attention to Harry. "Blimey Harry! What happened to you? You look…well, you look different."

At Ron's declaration, Hermione turned her attention from goggling Ron to studying Harry's appearance. "Ron's right. You do Harry. What happened?"

In all his attempts to forget about the past week spent at Spinners End, Harry also forgot that he now resembled the potions master. He just hoped his friends didn't notice who he looked like. He really wasn't prepared for that topic of conversation. "I don't know what you're talking about," Harry replied, playing dumb and staring at the fire. "I look like I have for the past two weeks. Maybe both of your memories are slipping."

"I don't think so, Harry," Hermione replied, looking more closely at Harry.

Wanting the conversation about his looks and the staring to stop, Harry abruptly stood up. "Sorry guys. I just remembered that I promised Professor Lupin that I'd come see him this afternoon. I'll catch up to you later at dinner."

Without waiting for a response, Harry climbed out of the portrait hole and headed straight to Professor Lupin's office. He didn't really want to talk to the professor, he was still a little angry with him, but he wanted to talk to someone. He needed answers and a solution.

During lunch, Harry had overheard the Headmaster reminding the professors about the staff meeting that afternoon. He only hoped that the meeting was over and that the professor would be in his office. He knocked on the wooden door and waited to be called in. A minute went by without a word or sound from within. Figuring the meeting was still going on, Harry slowly headed back up to the Gryffindor tower slightly discouraged. He didn't want to return to the common room and face his friends with their relentless questions on his appearance. He needed to talk to Lupin.

Walking through one of the second floor corridors, Harry spotted Remus exiting the staffroom farther up from him. He rushed to catch up. "Professor, do you have a few minutes?" Harry asked out of breath.

Remus stopped walking and turned to face the voice. He was surprised to see it was Harry. After the way they departed two weeks ago, he didn't think he'd see the boy all that soon. He knew Harry had to be mad at him. "Of course Harry." He looked around, and seeing as no other students were in the corridor, he walked over to one of the benches situated in an alcove with Harry following. "How were your holidays Harry? I believe you spent them with Professor Snape. Am I correct?" Remus sat down and so did Harry.

Harry only answered half of the questions asked. "Yes, sir. I did." He sat there staring at his hands, unsure of how to voice his concerns.

"So, how were they?" Remus asked in the ensuing silence. "Your holidays?"

Harry remained quiet, still thinking about how he wanted to start the conversation and not really wanting to answer the man's question.

"Harry?" Remus was getting a little concerned with Harry's silence; thinking the worst. "Were they really that bad?" Remus had no doubt that the past week had been an interesting one, but he doubted it could have been really bad.

Harry shook his head. "No. They weren't bad. They were just..." He couldn't finish his thought. He had too many conflicting emotions. Truth be told, he seemingly enjoyed the holiday he spent with the potions master. And he hated that fact. "They were just different," he finally replied.

"I can tell something is bothering you Harry."

As much as he wanted to keep his problems to himself, Harry knew that he had to confide in the professor if he wanted any sort of help. That was why he sought out the professor in the first place. And he knew he had to start at the beginning. He moved his gaze from his hands to Remus. "Erm…I was wondering…I mean, did you get…did you get a letter from my mother a few months ago?"

Deep down Harry was hoping the answer would be no. But at the same time he hoped the answer was yes. He didn't want to think what he would feel like if Professor Lupin answered no. That meant that it was a really cruel joke Professor Snape was playing on him. Then again, if the answer was yes, there could be a possibility that it was still a joke. The potions master could have created the letter given to Remus. But would Professor Snape really go to all that trouble? There was always the possibility that the letters were real. He really didn't want to think about that.

Remus' answer broke Harry out of his thoughts. "Yes I did, Harry," he answered and watched the various emotions flit across Harry's face at the statement.

"Was the letter really from my mother?"

"Yes." Remus watched the boy with concern, wondering how he felt about the news that was in the letter.

Harry began to feel a knot forming in his stomach. If that was true, then that meant that Snape was his… He couldn't even finish that thought. He didn't want to finish that thought. "How can you be sure? How do you know Snape didn't write it up?" He really didn't want to take the professor's word for it.

While Remus and Harry were having their conversation, Severus exited the staffroom; the Headmaster having finally finished his discussion with him a few minutes prior. As he walked down the corridor to head back to his quarters, he heard his name mentioned. He walked a few feet closer, spotted Harry and Remus, and stopped to listen, making sure he was somewhat hidden in the shadows. He knew it was bad to eavesdrop, but by the tone of voice between the other two, he had a feeling he needed to hear this conversation.

Oblivious to Severus' presence, the conversation between Remus and Harry continued.

"Professor Snape did not write the letter," Remus reiterated. "To me or to himself."

"But how do you know?"

"I just know Harry."

Harry dropped his gaze. "It can't be real. I know it's not real!"

"What is wrong Harry?"

"It's a joke professor," Harry replied miserably. "A cruel joke the professor is playing on me. With our past, you should know that."

"What makes you say that?" Even though Remus knew the truth, he could see Harry needed to get everything off his chest.

Harry was astounded that Remus didn't know. "He hates me! This is just the type of thing the greasy git would do to me." Harry stood up as his anger intensified and faced Remus who was still sitting on the bench. "It's payback for looking into his pensive last year, for looking exactly like my father, for being at Hogwarts…for living. It's just a huge joke designed to hurt me."

Severus couldn't believe what Harry had just said and was glad he was hidden in the shadows. He knew for a fact that if anyone had looked at him at that moment, they would be able to see the anguish he felt pouring out of his posture and from the expression on his face. But for once, he didn't have the heart to care. The way Harry felt about him was more important. It actually scared him when he realized how the boy meant more to him now than his reputation as the evil potions master.

And he didn't know which upset him the most; the fact that the boy honestly thought it was a cruel joke or what he, Severus, supposedly thought of Harry and why he was supposedly doing this to him. Then again, with the history between the two, it was fully understandable. And Harry did mention something like this just a few days ago. He and Harry definitely needed to have a serious conversation soon.

Remus stood up and placed his hands on Harry's shoulders. The boy was working himself into a state. "Calm down Harry. You know none of that is true." Out of the corner of his eye he spotted Severus listening to the conversation. Normally he would be irate that the man was listening in to a private conversation, but this time he was glad. He could see how Harry's words had affected the potions master and he knew it was a good thing.

"How do you know it's false?" Harry asked.

It wasn't until this point in time that Remus was glad that during one of their conversations before the staff meeting Severus let slip what he gave Harry as a Christmas present last week. If anything could convince Harry, that gift should be it. "Harry, what did the professor give you for Christmas?"

Harry lowered his eyes from Remus to stare at the stone floor. That was one thing out of many that Harry wanted to forget about and it figured Remus had to bring it up. "He gave…he gave me a photo album."

"Who's was it before he gave it to you?"

"His." Before Remus could say another word, Harry looked up and quickly continued. "But he made that up as well."

"Harry."

Harry interrupted. "You can try to convince me otherwise, but I know the truth."

At this point, Remus decided to give up. It was up to Severus to convince the boy everything was the truth. He stood there a minute just looking at Harry.

Harry was tired of arguing. It wasn't worth it. And as long as he knew the truth, that was all that mattered. He didn't have to convince anyone else.

As he watched Remus run a hand through his hair, he remembered the real reason why he sought out the man in front of him. "Professor, I need you to reverse whatever Snape did to me," he said calmly as he sat back down on the bench.

"I don't understand." Remus took a seat next to Harry.

"Don't I look different to you?"

Remus looked at Harry closely. The boy definitely was Severus' son. "You have gone through a lot of changes over the Christmas holiday. But I don't think…"

Harry interrupted Remus, knowing what the man was about to say. "Please, professor," he pleaded. "He must have cast a charm on me while I was sleeping or slipped some type of potion into the food last week. I don't know what he did, but I want it reversed. Please! I can't stand looking like this. I don't want to look like this." He turned a little on the bench so he could look at his reflection in the window. "I just want to look like myself. Like I always have. I want to look like my father."

Remus held back his thoughts at Harry's last statement and glanced again at Severus standing in the corridor. He knew the man had heard all of the boy's comments. By looking at Severus, Remus could tell the words bothered him. "Harry, I don't think…"

"Forget it professor," Harry said sharply as he stood up. He should have known better than to seek out the man. The professor never really helped him in the past. He didn't know why he thought different this time. "Don't bother. I can find out how to do it on my own. It wouldn't be the first time."

"Harry." Remus grabbed Harry's arm to stop him from leaving.

"I said forget it Professor." Harry yanked his arm free from Remus' grasp and quickly left the small alcove they were in with his head down.

Remus followed Harry with his eyes for a second, and then made contact with Severus'. He gave the potions master a pleading look; a look that told the man to fix this and fast.

Severus watched as Harry made his way towards him, unaware that he was standing there. He couldn't explain what he was feeling, but he knew that he desperately needed to talk to Harry. When the boy was almost to him, he called out his name. "Mr. Potter."

At the call of his name, Harry stopped walking, looked up and met the concerned gaze of the potions master. He hoped the professor hadn't heard any of what was said between the Remus and himself.

"Harry, we need to talk."

Hearing his first name coming from the potions master, Harry held the man's gaze for a few more seconds then took off running.

Severus let out a breath and lowered his head after watching Harry run around the corner. He definitely had his work cut out for him. At least he now knew what Harry thought of the situation. And he knew it would help him decide the best course of action.

As Severus was staring at the ground deciding what he needed to do first, a pair of feet stopped in his line of sight. "Not now Lupin."

"But Severus."

"I said...Not. Now." Severus quickly turned and headed down to his private quarters in the dungeon, leaving Remus to stare after him.

~SH~

Harry didn't know where he was running to. He just knew he had to get away and think. By the time he stopped running, he found himself at the top of the astronomy tower. He paced the tower a few times before finally lowering himself to floor and sitting against the wall.

One thing was clear. He was alone in his search to return his appearance back to normal. He should have known that would be how it was. He could never count on any adult in the past when he needed help, so what made him think it would be any different now? He also knew he couldn't count on his friends to help. They were one of the many reasons why Harry even had to figure out what to do.

Knowing he'd have to find the answer to his appearance soon, he decided he would head to the library right after he finished dinner. He'd spend any free time there trying to find a solution. There had to be a way to reverse it. He couldn't be the only one this had ever happened to.

While watching the clouds float by outside, he then remembered one of his first questions to the potions master about his appearance the day he read the letter. He asked if it had anything to do with Voldemort. That was the answer! Until he could find a way to reverse whatever it was the professor did to him, he'd use the excuse that his change in appearance was due to Voldemort. No one would question him on that. He just hoped no one would be able to tell who he really looked like. He didn't have an answer for that and he couldn't really think of one.

When his stomach gave a growl a half hour later, Harry knew it was almost time for dinner. Even though he told Ron and Hermione he'd see them in the Great Hall, he wasn't ready to face them yet. He had his excuse about his appearance ready but he needed just a little bit more time. Knowing he and his friends normally showed up towards the middle of the meal, he decided to head down to dinner now. Besides, it would give him more time to start his search in the library before he had to be back in the common room later that night.

As Harry headed to the library after eating, he decided he'd first search out potions that changed a person's appearance. Professor Snape was a potions master so it would only make sense that the man would have used some sort of potion on him. Figuring it'd be faster if he acquired Madam Pince's help with locating the appropriate section to find the books he needed, he sought out the librarian as soon as he entered.

Four hours later, sporting a massive headache and being no closer to a solution than he was earlier in the day, Harry finally stepped foot into the Gryffindor common room. He was expecting an ambush from Hermione and Ron, but was surprised to see they weren't even in the room. Feeling slightly disappointed and relieved at the same time, Harry headed up the spiral staircase to his dorm room. All he wanted to do was lay on his bed in the dark and try to desperately get rid of his headache.

~SH~

Severus had hoped that he would be able to meet with Harry sometime during the first week back, but things definitely changed since this time yesterday. At yesterday's staff meeting, Severus found out that the Headmaster was still extremely concerned with the possible attack on the school and scheduled staff meetings every other afternoon. That put a dent in his plan to continue getting his lesson plans completed by the end of the week. It also meant that he would have to cancel his Occlumency lessons with Harry this week as well. That was why Severus found himself stopping off at the Gryffindor table on his way to the head table for breakfast first thing Tuesday morning.

As Severus stopped behind Harry, he got a spark of pleasure out of seeing the terror on the faces of some of Harry's housemates. He schooled his features and began telling his small little lie. He couldn't have the whole school know what was going on. "Mr. Potter, the Headmaster requested I deliver this note to you. Though why he couldn't do it himself is beyond me."

Harry turned around and grabbed the folded piece of parchment. "Thank you sir." He watched the potions master walk to the head table before he turned around to open and read the note, wondering what the Headmaster wanted him for now. With a huge smile on his face, Harry placed the letter in his pocket and glanced up to the head table.

The smile didn't go unnoticed by Severus and he was disappointed in the boy's reaction.

When Harry returned to facing the table, Hermione and Ron were just sitting down across from him.

"Morning Harry," Hermione said in greeting a little less than happy as she served herself some scrambled eggs from the dish in front of her.

"Good morning guys," Harry replied.

Surprisingly, Ron was the one who began voicing his and Hermione's concerns about Harry. "Harry, mate. What's going on? Why did you avoid us yesterday? We were waiting for you at dinner in the Great Hall and you never came."

"Yes, Harry," Hermione joined in. "And why won't you answer us about your appearance. Why do you look so different? Don't we have a right to know?"

Harry was hoping to have a little time before having to address all of this, but luck didn't seem to be on his side lately. Luck didn't seem to be on his side ever, actually. He knew he'd have to start his lying now. "I wasn't avoiding you. Professor Lupin and I lost track of time and we ended up having dinner in his quarters."

"But why didn't we see you in the common room at all last night?" asked Ron.

"We wanted to finish our conversation." In his nervousness, Harry began playing with his fork, pushing pieces of sausage all over his plate.

"You didn't show up before we all went to bed," Hermione stated.

"Erm…Lupin walked me to the tower late last night."

Hermione looked at Harry skeptically, but decided to drop that part of the subject. Instead, she began the conversation she wanted to finish since arriving at Hogwarts yesterday afternoon. "So Harry, why do you look so different? What happened?"

"Why can't you leave things alone Hermione?" Harry questioned with anger in his voice. "Maybe I don't want to talk about it, alright?" Seeing tears beginning to form in Hermione's eyes he took a deep breath. "I'm sorry Hermione. I didn't mean to upset you."

"No Harry, you're right. I'm sorry. I just…" Hermione was interrupted by Harry.

"No, I'll tell you." He didn't really want to give in to Hermione, but maybe if he did, it would stop her from asking any more questions. Harry looked around the hall making sure they were not being listened to and leaned across the table towards his friends. "It was one of the things I was talking to Professor Lupin about." At least Harry knew that part was true. "It seems this," Harry pointed to his face, "is an effect of the connection with Voldemort."

Ron looked at Harry with confusion. "I don't think I understand mate. How could Vol…I mean, You-Know-Who do that to you?"

"Yeah Harry," Hermione chimed in. "It doesn't seem plausible. How can a mind connection between the two of you cause your appearance to change?"

Well, so much for his lie working. His two friends were too smart. But it was all he had. They had to think it was because of Voldemort. "I don't quite know Hermione."

"But, I don't see how…"

"Drop it Hermione," Harry said sharply, beginning to get angry again with his friends. Why did they always have to question and argue with him on everything he said? "That's why okay? If you don't like the reason, too bad. That's the only reason there is!" He said the last statement a little louder than he intended and noticed that much of the Gryffindor table and a few of the professors were staring at him.

No longer in the mood to eat anything, Harry stood up and left the Great Hall. He had forty-five minutes before his first class so he decided he would spend that time in the library. Maybe he'd be luckier than he was last night.

His time spent in the library before his first class was well worth it. He found two books that held potential solutions to getting his appearance back to normal. After getting permission from Madam Pince, Harry headed to his History of Magic class thirty-five minutes later with two additional books in his book bag.

Late Tuesday night when Harry entered the Gryffindor common room, he was glad how the day went. Everything seemed to be as it was last term before the Christmas holiday. He only hoped it lasted until the summer holiday. And he also noticed that after his little blow-up in the morning at breakfast, Ron and Hermione didn't question him on his appearance or whereabouts anymore; though it seemed like torture for the two not to know what was going on with him. But he'd rather have it that way.

~SH~

Throughout the first week back at school, Harry spent the majority of his time up in the Room of Requirement. He found that he was more productive if he wasn't interrupted a lot nor had people asking why he was always reading potions books in his free time. With help from the Marauder's Map, Harry often stayed late into the night in the room reading through the books before heading to his bed to sleep for only a few hours. He was also hardly eating when in the Great Hall as well, wanting to go up to the Room of Requirement as soon as possible.

Late Thursday night, Harry finally found a possible potion that would reverse any appearance altering potion that had been consumed. After reading through the recipe and instructions, he found it was luckily an easy enough potion to brew and didn't require a lot of time for preparation and the brewing process. After acquiring all the required ingredients, he could brew the potion in just a few hours.

On Friday, Harry purposely left his cauldron in his trunk in the dorm room. When he arrived to Potions, he grabbed a cauldron from the stack the professor kept at the back of the room, and then he took his seat. When class ended, he packed the cauldron, along with a few ingredients that were needed for the potion, in his bag and headed to his next class. If everything worked out well, the potions master wouldn't even know a cauldron and some ingredients from the classroom stores were missing. Luckily Harry already had a majority of the needed ingredients.

During his free time after lunch and before his next class Friday, Harry returned to his dorm room, pulled his invisibility cloak out from the bottom of his trunk and took the cauldron along with a majority of the potion ingredients up to the Room of Requirement. He would be using the room as his lab until he reversed whatever it was the professor had done to him.

Under the excuse of visiting Professor Lupin, Harry headed to the Room of Requirement Saturday morning after breakfast. He had everything ready and was going to brew the potion. If everything worked as planned, he might leave the room normal, looking like himself.

After looking in a mirror three hours later, Harry left the room extremely disappointed. The potion had no effect. He was back to square one. He would again be spending a majority of his time in the library. This time in the restricted section. Hopefully he would find another potion in one of those books.

~SH~

Tuesday morning, after spotting a new Quidditch magazine Ron left out on his bed, Harry remembered his broom. That afternoon between classes, he decided to take the opportunity and speak with his head of house about getting his broom back. As he got closer to the staffroom, he began to feel slightly nervous. The situation was almost identical to his first year when he went to retrieve 'Quidditch Through the Ages' from Professor Snape. But he had to remind himself he wasn't seeking out the potions master this time.

Once he arrived at the staffroom, he knocked on the door. There was no way he would walk directly in without being asked.

The door opened a few seconds later and luckily he was met with the sight of the person he was looking for. Professor McGonagall.

"Mr. Potter. Did you need something?" It wasn't all that often a student would seek out a professor in the staffroom.

"Yes, actually. If you've got time."

"I've got only a few minutes." The professor opened the door all the way. "Come in then."

Harry entered the door and climbed the two steps to the main room, still feeling slightly nervous, and watched as the professor closed the door behind him.

Professor McGonagall turned to face Harry. "Well then, Mr. Potter. What can I help you with?" She then headed to the table and took a seat. She motioned for Harry to do the same.

After Harry sat down, he addressed his head of house. "Professor, I was wondering if the Quidditch ban Professor Umbridge placed on me last year has been lifted?”

"It has." She was actually surprised that it took Harry this long to ask about the ban placed last year. She thought it would have been one of the first things he asked about upon returning to the castle back in September.

Harry let out a huge breath. "Great. So, would it be possible for me to get my broom back?" He felt a bit of apprehension when he saw the look on the professor's face change.

"I'm sorry Mr. Potter, but that won't be possible."

Harry just stared at his strict professor. "I don't understand."

"I wish I didn't have to tell you this, but after confiscating your broom last year, Professor Umbridge burned it."

"What?" Harry immediately stood up.

"I thought you already knew." Professor McGonagall stood up as well as she glanced at the clock on the wall. She squeezed Harry's shoulder. "I'm sorry Potter. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got an appointment I need to attend to."

Harry walked a few feet towards the door in shock as he watched the professor leave. His Firebolt was gone? His most prized possession? His first ever gift from his godfather? He wanted to treasure that broom forever. It meant so much to him. And now it was gone?

His gaze fell and he dropped his head to stare at the floor. Why couldn't anything go his way? Beginning to feel numb, Harry slowly sunk down to sit on the steps and rested his arms on his knees with his hands clasped.

The back door to the staffroom opened a minute later and Severus entered the room. He was hoping to get a few minutes peace before his next class and read a few articles in the newest Defense journal Remus left on the table at their staff meeting a few hours ago. He wanted a small break from his lesson plans. As he was about to take a seat at the table, he spotted a very recognizable mop of black hair sitting on the floor by the front door. "Mr. Potter? What are you doing in here?" Harry didn't answer. This was a bit unsettling for Severus. "Mr. Potter. Harry, is everything okay?"

Not really paying attention to who was talking to him, but thinking it was Remus, Harry nodded his head yes. Then he changed his mind and shook his head in the negative. He was feeling too miserable to lie. "No." He brought his hands up and buried his head into them.

For Harry to admit that, and to the man he currently hated with everything in him, Severus knew something was really bothering the boy. He walked over to the steps and sat down next to Harry. "What happened?"

Without acknowledging the professor's presence, Harry dropped his hands and continued to stare at his feet. "It's gone. My Firebolt. Professor Umbridge burned it as soon as she confiscated it last year."

"Is that what's got you so miserable?" Severus asked, slightly amused. "A broom? They are replaceable if you didn't know."

"It's not just a broom," Harry replied angrily. How dare the professor think it was funny. "It was the first gift I ever received from Sirius. It was more than a broom to me, ok?" His voice was full of pain. He brought his hands back up and pressed the palms into his closed eyes until he saw colorful stars. "You don't understand."

But Severus did understand. He had first hand experience. Back when he and Lily had first met, Lily had bought him one of her favorite books as a birthday present. He read it over and over, until his father, in a fit of rage, decided to tear it up and throw it and a few of his other possessions into the fire as he watched, to teach him a lesson. The book was the first gift he had ever received from Lily.

Severus moved closer and placed a reassuring hand on Harry's back. "I do understand. I'm sorry Harry.”

At that moment, Harry realized who he had been talking to and it disgusted him. He needed to get away from the professor immediately. Without a word, Harry quickly stood up and exited the staffroom, leaving Severus sitting on the steps with his hand hovering in the air.

As Harry walked through the corridors towards Gryffindor tower, he couldn't believe how stupid he was. How didn't he know it was the potions master when the man first started talking to him? And how could he have said all that to the potions master? It seemed that whenever the man was around, he couldn't help but spill everything that was on his mind. And why did it have to be Snape that found him right after he found out about his broom?

~SH~

For once Severus was looking forward to Harry's Occlumency lessons. He hated having to cancel the two lessons last week, but knew it was a necessity. If he didn't, he knew his full concentration wouldn't have been on the boy.

During the coming weeks, he had hopes of learning more about Harry while also giving him the needed lessons. This first week of lessons, though, were needed to talk to the boy about what he learned during Remus' and Harry's conversation last week, and what was said their final days at Spinners End. He would talk with the boy after the lessons were over each night.

Severus was seated at his desk Tuesday evening grading homework when Harry arrived at his office. After allowing the boy to enter and pointing him over to one of the two seats in front of his desk, he set his quill down and sat staring at Harry.

"I would like to begin tonight's lesson with a review of how to clear your mind. I know you have been having problems with this aspect and knowing it's essential to mastering the art, I feel it best if we start there."

Somewhat shocked at how the professor was planning on teaching this lesson, which was far different from all he had ever had, all Harry could do was nod his head.

An hour later, Harry had a better understanding of how to clear his mind. A half hour after that, he was put to the test as the potions master entered his mind three times. Unfortunately, he had the same results he always had when the professor entered his mind. After catching his breath after the third try, Harry slowly rose from the floor to sit in the chair facing Severus' desk.

While Harry was recovering, Severus sat down in the vacant chair next to Harry. The Occlumency lesson was over and he hoped he could now speak to the boy.

When Harry opened his eyes, he noticed the potions master was sitting in the chair next to him. Unaccustomed to the professor sitting that close to him, Harry was slightly wary. "Sir?"

"Mr. Potter, I wanted to speak with you before we end your lessons tonight. I feel we have quite a few things to discuss."

Somehow Harry knew that Occlumency wasn't on Snape’s mind anymore. And having a discussion about anything else with the professor was the last thing Harry wanted to do. He really just wanted to get out of that office. With everything that had been going on between the potions master and himself, the last thing Harry wanted to do was spend more time than necessary with the man. Besides, he needed to get to the library to continue with his research. "Professor, I don't think…"

"We will end with a discussion," Severus said forcefully. "You may not think it necessary but I do." Severus had a feeling the boy would fight him on this, but he needed to talk to Harry.

"It isn't necessary," Harry stated coldly as he stood up. "I've got more important things to do tonight, like homework. Goodbye professor." He quickly walked to the door and out of the office, not caring that he was being disrespectful nor what the potions master would do to him.

The door shut loudly before Severus could even realize what just happened. He stared at the closed door for a few seconds before standing up and walking to his side of the desk to finish grading homework. He'd have to come up with another way to talk to the boy.

~SH~

Severus was having a hard time finishing up his lesson plans. With more than a normal amount of staff meetings and numerous detentions he had to supervise during the last week and a half, it was any wonder he found time to sleep. But when he was asked by Professor Flitwick to supervise Thursday's study period in the Great Hall, he didn't hesitate in answering yes.

He knew Harry would be in there and he really wanted to see the boy. He knew he couldn't talk to him at all, lest anyone think something was going on since he normally didn't seek out Harry to talk. But just being able to watch him from time to time would be good enough. He tried watching the boy at meal times, but noticed that half the time the boy never showed up or if he did, he was rarely in the room for longer than ten minutes.

Harry was disappointed the second he entered the Great Hall and saw it wasn't Professor Flitwick supervising the study period. He had hoped to not see Snape until his Occlumency lessons that night. Giving a small sigh, he headed over to the Gryffindor table and sat down, pulling his homework out of his book bag.

More than one time during the study period, Harry felt like someone was watching him. A few times he caught the professor's eye. Feeling nauseous at the thought of the professor watching him, Harry turned his attention to his homework and tried to ignore him.

Because Severus had been watching Harry at various times during meals, he noticed that the boy had hardly been eating and at times looked extremely tired. He knew for a fact that he wasn't getting food after hours either. He had visited the kitchens earlier that morning and spoke with the elves. Having a feeling why Harry was skipping meals and sleep, but knowing he couldn't talk to the boy about it yet, Severus did the only thing he could currently think of. He would try to get the boy to eat something. Harry had to be hungry.

About forty-five minutes into the period and after getting clarification from Hermione on their Transfiguration essay, Harry noticed a banana and some grapes being moved from the serving bowl near Hermione to a plate and being levitated towards him. "Thanks for the snack Hermione," he said, thinking it was his friend looking out for him. "I am pretty hungry I guess."

Hermione looked at Harry confused. "I had nothing to do with it."

Before Harry could form a reply, a glass of juice was being poured into a glass from the pitcher in front of Harry and placed next to the plate of fruit. "Then who is it?" Harry asked and looked around the Great Hall. He spotted the potions master looking his way and placing his wand in his robes.

With a knitted brow, Harry turned his attention back to his homework. Finding that it was most likely Professor Snape who did it, he had planned on ignoring the food in front of him, but he decided he really was hungry. Peeling the banana, he got started on his Transfiguration essay, trying to ignore who had his well-being in mind.

~SH~

The next few weeks proceeded in the same manner as the past week and a half had for Harry. Outside of his classes and homework, he spent time trying to find a potion to help return his appearance back to normal. His friends started treating him the way they were the beginning of the school term back in September, which was mostly ignoring him, and he found it no longer bothered him since he had more important things to do. And luckily his classes were going as expected.

During Occlumency lessons, Severus tried to engage Harry in conversations. And to date, no conversation ever happened. To Severus' disappointment, the boy would leave his office the second the lessons were over. He needed to find some excuse to talk to the boy outside of classes and Occlumency. The longer he waited to have the conversations with Harry, the harder it would be for Harry to accept the truth. He needed to talk with Harry now.

~SH~

It was the beginning of February and Severus still hadn't had a chance to speak with Harry. However, the first potions class of the month proved to be a possible answer to the problem.

Halfway through the class, Harry turned his attention away from his cauldron to ask Hermione if he was correct in the way he cut up the mint leaves for their potion. Before Hermione had a chance to answer, Severus swooped over to the table the two were sharing.

"I see you feel a conversation is more important than making sure your potion doesn't boil over, Mr. Potter," Severus stated icily. "Which, you would have noticed if your attention was on your work and not on Ms. Granger, it is."

Harry quickly glanced at his cauldron and groaned.

"Zero for your potion, Mr. Potter." Severus pulled out his wand and waved it at Harry's bubbling cauldron. "Evanesco." He then looked at Harry with slight disappointment showing in his eyes and on his face. "You have a detention with me here tonight at 6:30. Do not be late."

Harry kept eye contact with the potions master until the man turned around and headed back to his desk. He lowered his eyes and stared into his empty cauldron, trying to decipher why he felt so bad. It took him a moment until he realized why. It was the first time he could remember anyone looking at him like that; with such disappointment. Could he actually have disappointed the man? How could you disappoint someone who hated you?

"What was that about?" Hermione asked the second they cleared the threshold of the potions classroom twenty minutes later.

"What do you mean?" Harry asked, though he thought he knew why she was asking.

"The way Professor Snape looked at you? I've never seen him look at anyone like that before."

Harry glanced back inside the classroom then shrugged his shoulders. "Don't know. Let's just forget about it okay? That git isn't worth our time."

Hermione nodded, keeping her comments about the way Harry addressed the professor to herself, and the two went to meet Ron in the Gryffindor common room.

~SH~

At six twenty-five that night, Harry found himself standing in front of the potion's classroom. The door was open so he stepped inside.

"I see you're on time, Mr. Potter," Severus stated from the side of the classroom. "The sooner you begin your detention, the sooner you will be done." He turned around and with a cauldron in one hand and a book in the other, headed to one of the front row tables. He set the cauldron and book down and faced Harry. "Part of your detention tonight will be to re-brew the potion you were to brew in class. You'll find all the required ingredients in the storeroom. I trust you remember what page in the text the recipe and instructions are on?"

"Yes sir," Harry replied, surprised that he would be re-brewing the potion. He didn't recall the professor doing this often; it at all. Then he remembered the expression on the man's face this afternoon. Could that be why he was given a second chance?

"Get to work. When you are finished, come see me." Severus turned around and took a seat at his desk. He pulled a stack of papers out of the desk drawer and began reading through second year essays, liberally marking a lot of them with red ink.

Harry watched the professor for a few minutes before opening the book to the proper page and heading over to the storeroom with a list of needed ingredients. As he went through the storeroom and found the required ingredients, he placed the vials and jars on an empty shelf near the door. Seeing one of the ingredients was on the second to the top shelf on the far side of the room way out of his reach, he pulled the ladder over and climbed up. After grabbing the needed jar, he carefully placed it in his pocket to begin descending the ladder.

As he stepped down to the rung below the one he was on, he felt a sharp pain in his left leg, reminiscent to his day on the Quidditch pitch the start of term last month. Unlike last time, however, his leg did give out and he started to fall to the ground. Hoping to stop his fall, Harry grabbed on to the first thing he reached for. The shelf above him. Unfortunately the shelf didn't offer any help and he fell to the floor, bringing the top four shelves and their contents with him. As he fell and heard all the glass breaking around him, he knew he'd never see tomorrow. Professor Snape would be beyond livid. He'd be out for death. But when he finally landed with his head banging roughly on the stone floor, Harry didn't care about any of that. All he could think about was the excruciating pain he was in. That was until he saw the black boots and robes of the potions master standing in the doorway.