Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 26
Remus walked into his sixth year's Defense classroom Thursday afternoon and stood at the front surveying his students. Amidst the quiet chattering, his eyes landed upon an empty seat next to Neville towards the front of the classroom. Thinking maybe the student, Harry, was talking with his friends, he swept his eyes over the rest of the room. Not seeing the boy anywhere he began to feel slightly worried. Without being able to acquire any answers at the moment, Remus began the day's lesson.

Fifty minutes later, the students began gathering their belongings to leave. "Mr. Weasley, Ms. Granger, please stay behind," Remus called out.

Ron and Hermione walked to Remus' desk looking at each other in question.

As soon as the last student left the room, Remus pulled his wand out, closed the door then began speaking. "I noticed that Harry wasn't in class today. Has he attended any other classes today?"

"No. We haven't seen him since last night at dinner," Hermione answered, worrying her bottom lip between her teeth.

"He had a detention with Snape," Ron supplied, "and he never came back. I bet that git did something to him."

Hermione huffed at Ron. "Ron. You know perfectly well that Professor Snape wouldn't do anything to hurt Harry." However, she didn't sound all that convinced.

"Where have you been these past five and a half years? Snape's been after Harry since first year."

Remus, who had been watching Ron and Hermione with a slight hint of amusement, broke the two out of their argument before it could get any more heated. "Did either of you ask Professor McGonagall about Harry's disappearance?"

Hermione, having been glaring at Ron, calmed down and turned back to Remus. "We did ask her. She said…"

"She wouldn't tell us anything," Ron interrupted.

"Ronald!" Hermione exclaimed exasperated and looked back to Remus with an apologetic smile. "Sorry professor. Professor McGonagall only said that Harry wouldn't be returning to the Gryffindor tower until probably Friday and to classes on Monday. We're really worried about him. The only times in the past when he's been gone this long has been when he's hurt and in the hospital wing recovering."

Ron had finally calmed down. "We tried to see if he was in there last night, but we didn't get an answer. We weren't even allowed inside."

"I wouldn't worry too much about Harry" Remus consoled, though he felt the opposite. "I'm sure he's fine."

"Not if the last person to see him was Snape," Ron yelled hotly.

Remus ignored Ron's outburst and looked to Hermione. "I will see what I can find out and I'll send you a note once I do."

"Thanks Professor Lupin," said Hermione.

"Yea, thanks," followed Ron.

"You're welcome. Now get out of here and enjoy the rest of your day," Remus said with a smile and a wave. Now knowing where to begin, Remus went back to his office and floo-called the Gryffindor Head of House for answers.

Standing up and stretching out his back ten minutes later, he scribbled a quick note to Hermione and left his office in search of the Potions Master. As he passed the main entrance to the castle, he spotted the professor's billowing black robes about to descend one of the staircases and yelled out. "Severus!"

Severus stopped and turned around with a deadly glare. "I do not appreciate being yelled at through the corridors like I'm your team's seeker about to be hit by a bludger in a game of Quidditch, Lupin," he hissed.

"I'm sorry Severus," Remus responded now almost standing next to the man. "I just needed to get your attention before I lost sight of you. I was told Ha…Mr. Potter," he amended quickly as a handful of students walked past them, "was injured last night while serving a detention with you."

Seeing more students headed in their direction, Severus looked pointedly at Remus. "We best finish this conversation someplace private." He led the way down to his office.

Severus sat at his desk and looked down to the journal he left open during the last time he was in there as he decided how much information to share. Remus took one of the chairs on the opposite side of the desk and sat down as well.

In the ensuing silence Remus raised his eyebrows and looked at the Potions Master in expectation. "Well? Are you going to enlighten me? What happened to Harry? Why weren't his friends allowed in the hospital wing?"

"As Minevera told you, he was hurt in his detention last night." He closed the journal and finally looked at Remus. "Harry was gathering ingredients to re-brew the potion from yesterday's class. The charm Lily placed on Harry's appearance has been vanishing, as you well know, and its effects caused him to fall while coming down the ladder. He brought all four shelves and all their contents with him. He was too injured to be brought all the way up to the hospital wing so I brought him to my quarters. He has been there since last night and will be until I see fit he is well enough to return to Gryffindor tower."

"Is he okay?" Remus asked, seeing the extreme worry showing on the man's face; an emotion that wasn't there before they entered his quarters and one he didn't think he ever saw on the man's face before.

"He is fine. Now. He has several bruised ribs, a broken rib and leg, a huge lump on his head, cuts and bruises on quite a bit of his body, and a concussion."

"Can I see him?"

"I think it would be best to wait until he is released to Gryffindor tower. Because of the potions to heal him and with having to be woken up every two hours because of his concussion, he is in dire need of rest. I doubt he'd even be awake for more than a few minutes until Friday."

Remus looked at Severus with disappointment. After hearing what happened, he really wanted to see Harry, but at the same time, didn't want to hinder the boy's recovery. "I understand. Could you please tell him I said hello and I hope he is feeling better soon?"

Severus nodded. He was about to dismiss Remus when he thought of one more important thing. "Oh Lupin. It's best if you know that Harry has finally realized the truth."

"I don't understand." He looked at Severus confused.

"I think you know that Harry has been in denial with he and I being father and son," he said sadly.

Remus thought back to one of the conversations he had with Harry a few weeks ago. "What makes you say he is in denial? Hasn't he seen your memories? I'm going to assume that you would offer Harry a chance to see them."

"I have offered and he has yet wanted to view them. I called Poppy down to my quarters last night to look over Harry. She had to run a complete diagnostic on him and seeing some things that seemed odd, she compared them to his results from his first year. She was able to tell that there was a charm placed on his appearance. She told all of this to Harry. Harry's reaction was…let's just say it would have been a lot different if he wasn't in denial."

"After he found out, what did he do?" Remus was curious as to what type of reaction Harry would have had.

"I would rather not share that information," Severus stated coldly. This was one thing he wanted to keep to himself. In truth, Harry's reaction hurt him more than he could have imagined.

Remus studied the potions master for a few minutes. He and Severus were enemies back when they were in school and it was well known that Severus still carried a lot of that hate. Remus could admit he still had some hate for the man as well. But one thing he knew, somehow, was that Severus would never intentionally hurt Harry anymore and would do anything in his power to make the boy happy. It was obvious the man was concerned for and cared about Harry with the way he was talking about the boy. Remus smiled and looked at the professor. "Take good care of him Severus." He then stood up and left the potions master to stare at the closed door.

~SH~

Harry fidgeted again while looking at the clock on the side table as he sat on his bed in Severus' quarters Friday morning. He had only been sitting there for a little over an hour, but it felt like an eternity. He tore his eyes from the clock and looked around the room, however the clock pulled his eyes back to it a few seconds later. He gave a huff and leaned his head back against the headboard with his eyes closed.

Before leaving to teach his first year's potion class that morning, Severus told him to stay in bed until he returned from the class. He didn't want Harry wandering around until he had a chance to be sure his leg was healed. As much as he had begged the professor after eating breakfast, Severus wouldn't even think about checking his leg. The man wanted to wait until later that night to give the leg a few more hours to heal before deciding whether or not Harry could return to Gryffindor tower. Harry did bring up Madam Pomfrey's comments from the night he fell, but the Potions Master wouldn't even listen. He should actually have been up in the tower last night, but because of his fall the first night in the professor's quarters, he aggravated his broken leg and needed at least another day of rest.

Harry looked at the clock again as he continued with his fidgeting; only five more minutes.

With all his attention on watching the second hand slowly round the clock, Harry jumped when the bedroom door creaked opened.

Severus pushed the door open and stood in the door way, surveying Harry. "How are you feeling?"

"Okay I guess." Harry pulled the blanket up to his waist and started smoothing it out over his legs. "Though I am a bit bored." He cautiously looked up to the Potions Master.

"If you feel up to it, I will allow you into the living room."

Harry began to jump out of the bed.

"Slow down. You don't want to stay here any longer do you?"

"No way!" Harry exclaimed.

Severus flinched slightly and tried to ignore the feeling those words brought him.

After Harry was seated on the sofa a few minutes later, Severus walked to the kitchen table and grabbed a stack of books and parchment. "I don't want you to get behind with your studies while you are healing and recuperating."

Harry tried not to groan as he stared at the stack of books in the professor's hand. He knew where this conversation was going, though something stirred deep within him at the professor's statement.

"I spoke with Professor McGonagall this morning before breakfast." Severus placed the books and parchment on to the table in front of the sofa then sat down. "She spoke with all your professors to acquire your assignments since Wednesday and had Mr. Weasley get your books for her."

"Thanks," Harry replied with forced appreciation.

"I would like to see you complete at least a day's worth of assignments before dinner."

Nodding, though not happy with the request, Harry grabbed the parchment on top of the pile and sunk back into the sofa. After reading it over, he realized he actually had a lot of work to catch up on before Monday.

"If there is nothing you currently need, I have classes to attend to." Severus stood back up and walked to the door. "I will not return until classes finish for the day. If you need anything, you may call for one of the school elves. They will find me if needed. Lunch will be brought to you at noon."

"Yes sir," Harry responded without looking up. He replaced the parchment and picked up his DADA text. He might as well get one of the easier assignments over first.

~SH~

After forcing himself to eat lunch at the kitchen table, even though he wanted to eat in front of the warm roaring fire in the living area, Harry returned to the sofa. As he sat there, he took a look around the professor’s quarters, though not really seeing anything. How was he going to explain to his friends where he was for the past two nights? No doubt Ron and Hermione looked for him in the hospital wing. He just hoped Madam Pomfrey didn't let them into the room or tell them where he actually was.

With that thought, what about the change in his appearance? He knew his friends noticed he looked different and he just hoped they couldn't figure out who he resembled. They had already brought his appearance up a while ago. More than likely, most of the school could tell he looked different by now too. And it wasn't all due to the fact that he no longer needed to wear his glasses, though that was probably more noticeable than the other physical changes. Was he still going to have to use that pathetic excuse he gave Ron and Hermione a while ago? Would they continue to believe it? He really wanted to change his appearance back to what it was before the summer. Maybe he should talk with the professor.

Having settled at least one of his problems for now, Harry pulled out his Charms text and began reading so he could complete his homework.

~SH~

Severus quickly returned to his quarters as soon as his last student left his office. Hardly any students ever saw him in his office after class except for detentions, and today of all days, two students wanted to see him. He hadn't been comfortable leaving Harry alone in his quarters hurt or otherwise, and wanted to get back as soon as possible. Who knew what the boy would get in to based on his past.

Expecting the worst, Severus cautiously opened the door to his quarters and entered. He stared at the sight in front of him as he closed the door gently behind his back.

The pile of books he gave Harry earlier was pushed to one side of the table with a few sheets of parchment full of ink lying next to them. From what Severus could see with the angle he was at, Harry was lying on the sofa on his stomach, knees resting against the armrest with his shins and feet going up the armrest. That did not look comfortable.

He walked around to the front of the sofa, ready to admonish the boy for the way he was laying; how was the leg to completely heal resting in that position? But he quickly shut his mouth. Harry was fast asleep with his head facing the table, right arm dangling off the sofa and his left arm acting as a pillow under his head. Harry's Charms homework and book were on the empty seats above his head. It was clear he had fallen asleep while trying to complete his homework.

Severus knew Harry still had to be exhausted and not just from being woken every two hours on Wednesday night and during the day on Thursday. Some of the potions he was taking to heal his injuries and for the pain caused drowsiness.

Giving a small smile, which still felt foreign on his face, at Harry's squashed and almost cherubic face, Severus quietly removed the Charms text and parchment and placed them on the table. He pulled out his wand to move Harry into a more comfortable position but immediately replaced it back in his robes. Instead he bent down and awkwardly turned the teen over.

The second Severus moved him, Harry stirred. "What's…what are…" he muttered groggily behind a yawn.

Severus looked down to the mop of black hair. "Go back to sleep Harry."

"Mmhm." As soon as Severus placed him back on the sofa, Harry curled up with his hands under his head.

Seeing one of Harry's pillows near the fireplace, Severus grabbed it and returned to the sofa. He gently lifted Harry's head and placed it underneath. Harry gave a soft sigh of content and snuggled deeper into the pillow.

Not wanting to start preparing for the quiz he needed to create for his fifth year class, Severus picked up Harry's Charms homework and sat on the sofa in the space between the left armrest and Harry's head. After skimming through it, he saw some areas that Harry could expand on and a few other hints he could give the boy to improve his homework. Standing back up, he shrugged out of his robes and hung them up in his bedroom. He stopped off at his desk and picked up a quill but before returning to the sofa, he stoked the fire. It was getting a little chilly in the room.

After returning to the sofa, he draped the afghan that was lying on the back of it over Harry, picked up the Charms homework and began writing notes. When he completed that assignment, he found Harry's completed Defense Against the Dark Arts homework and began to go through it as well. There actually wasn't much Severus had to do for this assignment. Harry, he realized, was exceedingly bright in Defense. If only it were true for Potions.

Having finished reviewing the homework Harry completed, Severus glanced at the clock and was relieved there was still time before dinner. Remembering the copy of the day's Daily Prophet lying unread in his kitchen, he retrieved it and sat back on the sofa to read through it. Unaware, he lowered his hand to Harry's head and began carding his fingers through the boy's hair while reading.

Harry was slowly moving through the fogginess of sleep and wakefulness about a half hour later. As he became more aware of his surroundings he realized he must have fallen asleep. The last thing he actually remembered was working on his Charms homework.

As he became more alert, the first thing he realized was that his head was lying on a pillow and he was covered with a blanket. But that couldn't be. He had used the pillow when he was lying in front of the fireplace to work on his DADA homework and never touched a blanket. And he clearly remembered moving to the sofa after lunch. Besides, whatever he was currently lying on was a lot softer than the stone floor.

The second thing Harry realized was an almost tickling sensation on his head. As he concentrated more on the sensation, he felt fingers brush the hair off his forehead. Who would do that? Only a few people came to mind but he would have to be in the hospital wing for them to do it. With his eyes still closed, he took a deep breath though his nose. When he didn't smell the familiar sent of the hospital wing he slowly began to panic, his breaths coming quicker. He didn't dare open his eyes.

Severus, noticing the distress in Harry's breathing, removed his hand from Harry's head. Was the boy in the middle of one of his nightmares? After watching him for a few seconds, that didn't seem to be the case. "Harry," he said quietly. "Are you awake?"

Harry's breathing started to return to normal at the sound of the professor's voice, though he still felt uneasy. He gave his head a small nod. "Y…yes." Needing to know where he was, now that he heard the professor's voice, Harry slowly opened his eyes.

The first thing he saw was the table with all his books and homework. He was still in Professor Snape's quarters! But that didn't explain the person running their fingers through his hair. He thought it highly unlikely Hermione would be in the Potion Master's personal rooms or Mrs. Weasley would come to see him.

He moved his eyes towards the seat next to his head. He immediately spotted black boots and pants. Recognizing them as the Potion Masters' but not truly believing it, Harry slowly tried to sit up. As he did so, he took a sharp intake of breath and tried to suppress a small cry of pain. He immediately felt a hand on his shoulder.

"Easy Harry. Lie back down. I feel you are way overdue on your potions, and the way you fell asleep isn't helping." Severus released his hand from Harry's shoulder and stood up to get the potions.

Harry's eyes followed the Potions Master as he left. It was the professor! He was the one who was running his fingers through his hair. Harry didn't know how to feel at that revelation. His eyes snapped to the professor as he returned and sat back down on the sofa with potions in his hand. Their eyes met, one revealing confusion and the other worry.

"I'm sorry I forgot to make sure you had your next dose of potions. It will be painful, but I need you to sit up just enough to be able to swallow without choking." Severus held out the two vials for Harry.

Wincing and doing his best not to cry out, Harry downed both vials and quickly lay back down. So much for being released tonight and going back to Gryffindor tower, he thought. He doubted the professor would release him now.

"I'm not going to be able to go back to Gryffindor tower after dinner tonight am I?" Harry questioned five minutes later, after the potions began to take affect. He was now sitting up on the sofa.

Severus looked at Harry. The question was asked with such helplessness he didn't know what to feel; sad that Harry wanted to be anywhere but here or amused at the look Harry was giving him. The boy didn't have any problems with imitating a sad puppy. "I don't want to give you an answer until after dinner once you've taken the last dose of your bone mending potion. I do, however, feel that the pain you felt just a bit ago was because of the way you were sleeping, not because of your injuries."

Harry, feeling slightly happy again, nodded with understanding. "Okay."

"I have to prepare a quiz for my fifth years before dinner. You are welcome to join me at the table." Severus stood up, stopped off at his desk for quill, parchment and his fifth year text, and returned to the table in the kitchen area and set everything on one side of the table.

Severus wasn't sure if Harry would join him in the kitchen. In the event the boy surprised him and did, he made some tea and placed one cup at the empty spot across from him and sat down with his. After taking a few sips, Severus pulled his text and parchment to him and began writing out the quiz.

Harry watched the man leave the room and return to the kitchen table. He then turned his attention to his texts piled on the table in front of him. Five minutes later he grabbed his pile of books, parchment, quill and ink, and his homework that he was in the middle of completing. When he picked up his Charms assignment, he noticed writing in the margins. The professor went through his work?

Angry at the Potions Master for marking up his homework for classes, Harry walked heavily into the kitchen and slammed everything on the table with more force and noise than necessary. He didn't recognize the fact that if the professor did that to his potions homework before it was turned in, he would have been okay with it.

Severus raised his eyes and seeing the furious look on Harry's face, returned his attention back to his quiz.

Harry was intent on arguing with the professor about marking up his Charms homework when he spotted his Defense homework. When he had slammed his books on the kitchen table, the top book slid to reveal the assignment. Seeing a note stuck to the parchment, Harry removed the books to reveal the entire note. The note contained only four words, but he had to read it three times before he believed what he was reading.

Very Well Written Harry

He had never seen those words written in the Potions Master's handwriting on anything he had done for homework or in class ever before. He wondered if hell froze over since he figured that would be when the man would ever offer him any type of compliment. With his mouth hanging open in shock, Harry looked up to Severus.

Severus had been waiting for Harry to explode. When it didn't happen, he looked up and saw the look of shock on the boy's face.

Harry finally recovered from his shock and gave Severus a shy smile and motioned towards the note with his head. "Thank you."

After returning Harry's thanks with a small nod, Severus returned his attention to his quiz, pleased with himself at being able to put a smile on the boy's face with only four little words.

All remnants of Harry's previous anger was now gone and replaced with a new feeling. One he didn't recall ever having before. Pride. For once he felt proud of his work. And the professor's acknowledgement of a job well done meant more than anything to him at the moment. He knew it was a huge accomplishment.

Wanting to continue feeling that way, Harry set his Defense homework off to the side and began working on his Charms homework. Paying particular attention to Severus' comments, he did more research to expand his essay. He was so lost in his homework he was unaware of anything going on around him.

Severus finished his quiz a half hour later. After re-reading it to make sure he covered all the points he wanted to include, he pulled out his wand and made copies for all his fifth year classes. Stacking up the pieces of parchment, he glanced up to Harry and found the boy furiously writing. With a hint of amusement in his eyes, Severus took the quizzes, textbook and quill back to his study and deposited them next to the other items would be needing for his classes on Monday.

With ten minutes until dinner, Severus walked back into the kitchen. He refilled his cup of tea and sat back down at the table. He wanted to observe Harry until dinner. It was the first time he was able to watch the boy close up while said boy was completely oblivious to his surroundings.

It didn't take long before Severus was able to distinguish some of Harry's habits. While Harry was thinking about something, he sucked on the end of his quill. Now he knew why Harry never had any quills with real feathers. A mouth full of feathers didn't sound all that appetizing. He almost chuckled out loud.

As he watched Harry suck on the end of his quill while reading a passage in his text, he was hit with the realization of how much Harry looked like Lily and it took his breath away. She had the same habit and while she and Severus were both at Hogwarts, he commented on it occasionally to her. It was one of the things he loved about her.

A bit later Severus spotted a habit he himself had. Harry was reading one of the comments written in the margins. His brow was furrowed in a look of confusion and his quill was jiggling up and down between two fingers on his right hand. It was something Severus did when he was extremely confused, and only in the privacy of his office or quarters. Seeing Harry doing the same thing actually made him smile.

When he realized what expression he had on his face, he quickly schooled his features back to the neutral expression he always wore before Harry looked up and spotted it. He still wasn't all that comfortable with showing these new feelings to the boy.

As Harry stuck the quill back in his mouth, Severus glanced up to the clock and noted that it was time for dinner. He called one of the house elves and had dinner for he and Harry delivered to his quarters. After the meal was placed on the table and the elf returned to the kitchens, Severus waited for Harry to turn his attention to the meal. When Harry continued to suck on his quill, Severus cleared his throat. "If you're so hungry Harry, why don't you eat your dinner instead of your quill?"

Harry jumped, startled out of his concentration, and removed the quill from his mouth. "Huh?"

Severus raised an eyebrow.

"Excuse me? Can you repeat what you said?" Harry altered. "I was really concentrating on what I was reading."

"So it would seem." Severus got up to warm up and refill their cups of tea and to bring two glasses of water. "I would prefer if you ate your diner instead of your quill Harry."

Harry blushed slightly as Severus sat back down. "Oh…erm, sorry. Habit." He set the quill on top of his textbook.

"Just like your mother," Severus replied quietly. After he said those words he realized his mistake. He wasn't ready to talk to Harry about Lily. Not now. And no doubt the boy would have questions.

Wanting to hear more about his mother but seeing the look of discomfort on the professor's face, Harry decided to wait until later. "Let's eat," he said instead of the questions he wanted to ask. "I'm starved."

With those words, Severus helped Harry move his homework and textbooks to the living room so they could eat their dinner at the kitchen table.

~SH~

Pushing his almost empty dinner plate to the side of the table Harry looked to Severus, getting up the courage to ask the most anticipated question of the day. "So, is it okay for me to go back to the Gryffindor tower tonight?"

Severus placed the cup of tea in his hand back on the table. "Against my better judgment…yes."

Harry stood up and punched a fist over his head. He'd been looking forward to that answer all day. He thought that after the pain he was in when Severus came back from classes earlier, the professor would make him stay down in his quarters for another day. "Yea! Finally. I can't wait until…"

"Not so fast Harry," Severus stated neutrally. Harry's excitement at being released stung.

Harry dropped his arm and sat back down.

"I'm letting you back up there, but remember you are still not fully healed."

"I know," Harry interrupted.

Severus held up a finger to quiet Harry. "You are not fully healed so I'd like you to still take it easy. If you feel any kind of pain Harry, even a tingling or dull ache, I want you to come see me immediately. I don't care if it's two in the morning."

Harry sat there staring at the tabletop taking in everything the professor said. He couldn't recall anyone caring about him that much after an injury.

"Do you understand Harry?" Severus asked in the silence.

The professor's voice broke Harry out of his thoughts. "Sorry. Yes, I understand."

"I would like to do one final check on you during our Occlumency lesson Tuesday afternoon. I hope to give you an all clear. Then you can be as reckless as you have always been, though I wish you wouldn't.

Harry looked up at the professor through his fringe with a slight blush then nodded.

"You may have dessert then you can return to your tower. I will have a house elf bring your books and homework."