Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 27

After Harry had scarfed down his dessert, against the admonishments of the potions master, and stacked up his homework and books next to his new Firebolt in the living room, he was all set to return to Gryffindor tower without a word to the professor. However, as he walked to the door to leave, he quickly turned around and went back to his bedroom, the professor giving him a quizzical look from the kitchen.

Harry wasn't sure why he went back, but as he stood in the doorway and looked around the bedroom and the mess he left behind, he knew he couldn't leave the room in that shape. Besides, after all the professor had done for him, he could at least pay the man back by cleaning up the room.

He made the bed then folded the extra blanket and set it on the foot of the bed. He picked up the empty potions vials that were lying on the night table and the ones that had rolled to the floor and placed them neatly on the night table. He finished by pushing in the desk chair. Satisfied with the room, he sat down on the bed. As he glanced around the room thinking about finally being able to be back in his own bed in Gryffindor tower, a strange feeling began making an appearance first in his stomach and then the rest of his body. He felt slightly nauseated, anxious and nervous and he didn't know why. He couldn't ever remember feeling like that before.

Trying to shrug it off, he went back out to the kitchen and found Severus putting the tea pot and cups away. He hovered in the entry way for a few seconds watching the man before he pulled out the chair facing Severus and sat down.

"Sir, erm…before I leave, I, I ah…I just…" Harry stammered. The feelings he had in the bedroom were intensifying. "I just wanted to thank you for fixing me up and taking care of me these past few days."

"You have nothing to thank me for Harry." Severus replied, his back to Harry. He then turned around and made eye contact with the boy. "As I had stated on a previous occasion, this is what any parent or guardian would do for their child."

With no idea of what to say in response at the moment, Harry moved his eyes from Severus to the tabletop and ran his thumb over a crack in the tabletop's wood.

Unsure why Harry was still in his quarters, Severus finished putting the items away and took a seat across from Harry. He placed his elbows on the tabletop, clasped his hands together and rested his chin atop his hands while examining the boy in front of him. Harry was a bit pale, sweaty, and a little shaky. He knew for a fact, however, that none of this was due to the boy's injuries. He was pretty much healed. This was from something else.

Harry broke Severus out of his contemplation a few seconds later. "What do I tell my friends?" he asked unexpectedly. "They're going to ask what happened."

Severus didn't respond right away. That was one of the last questions he thought the boy would ever ask him. He then realized the significance of Harry asking his opinion, though whether or not Harry did he did not know. After he got over his initial shock, he looked at Harry levelly. "Tell them the truth."

"What?" Harry asked astounded, eyebrows raised so high they were almost lost in his fringe.

"Tell them the truth," Severus repeated. "That while you were serving your detention with me Wednesday night you were injured. With Madam Pomfrey out of the castle attending a conference, I had the responsibility of tending to you."

"But what…"

"Since every student in this castle perceives me as hating all Gryffindors, especially you, it makes perfect sense that I would not allow your friends access into the hospital wing. One Gryffindor would be more than enough."

Harry's first thought was over the professor's choice in words. His second was it sounded like a plausible explanation to him. "They would believe that," he said still slightly distracted over his first thought. He then returned his attention to the tabletop.

Severus looked to the clock. "Shouldn't you be on your way to your tower? It's almost curfew. You don't want to be caught outside of your common room."

Harry's breathing became more rapid as his uneasiness and nausea returned at those words. He looked to his stack of homework and broom in the living room. "What about my Firebolt?" he blurted out. "Who should I say it's from? Where do I tell them I got it? I definitely can't hide a new broom from my friends. They already know what happened to my other one."

With eyes back on Harry after the next round of questions, Severus went back to studying the boy. Not even an hour ago he was ecstatic to be returning to his tower. Why was he still sitting here? He looked to the broom he gave Harry and then back to boy, still slightly confused. He finally answered a few seconds later. "You received it as a gift."

"Then I'll never see it again." Harry said dejectedly. "When I received my broom from Sirius third year, Hermione made me take it to Professor McGonagall to be sure it wasn't cursed. I didn't see it again for weeks. It would be the same with this one."

Severus considered Harry for a moment, a slim finger on his lips. "I will speak with your Head of House. I will notify her that you received the broom while you were recuperating in my quarters and I had already checked it for curses. There will be no reason for you to be without it."

"But who do I tell them it's from? I can't say I received it from you. I don't think that's wise. Besides, no one would believe me anyway. And if they did, then they wouldn't believe Professor McGonagall trusted it to be curse free."

"Indeed." Severus regarded Harry while thinking. "You can tell your friends Professor Lupin gave you the Firebolt."

"No one would believe that. If Professor Lupin could afford to buy me that broom, then he would definitely be wearing new clothes." Harry's face heated up when he realized what he just said. He just hoped his comment never made it back to the professor.

There was silence for a minute while Severus continued to think. He glanced at Harry every few seconds and noticed the boy never took his eyes off of him. "You can say it was a gift from the headmaster and your Head of House. They knew that Umbridge burned your broom last year and that you needed a new one."

Harry liked the idea but hated it at the same time. "I really don't want to say that. It will reaffirm that I get things just because of who I am. I hate that!" he said, raising his voice at the end.

"Harry, I don't know what else to tell you. I cannot come up with any other reason. I see no other options."

"Fine," Harry said softly. "Since I can't think of anything I guess I'll go with your idea. Thank you, sir."

Nodding, Severus looked at the clock again and then back at Harry. The boy still didn't look like he was itching to leave. "You really should get going Harry."

With slight alarm in his eyes, Harry began blurting out another question. "But I want to know what I should…"

Severus interrupted before Harry could formalize the question. "Harry. You need to go back to your common room. I do not want to see you with another detention. We can speak more later."

Harry began to breathe rapidly again, his anxiety beginning to grow. He again looked to the tabletop, but not before giving a quick glance at the professor.

"What is wrong?" Severus finally asked.

Harry's response was a shrug of his shoulders. He honestly didn't know.

Severus narrowed his eyes at the boy, studying him intently. It then began to dawn on him what might be wrong, though why Harry was like that he couldn't quite comprehend. "Follow me," Severus stated as he stood up, waiting for Harry to do the same.

When Harry was standing, Severus led him through the hall, past the two bedrooms to the wall at the end. He pulled out his wand and waved it at the wall. A few seconds later a door materialized as he returned his wand. "This is a door that leads to a secret corridor in the castle. It was built for the use of the professors guests so they could come and go with as little interaction with the students as possible. The only ones who know about this corridor are the professors, their guests, the headmaster and you."

Harry nodded while looking at the door. He then looked to the professor in confusion.

"You are welcome to come here at any time Harry. These are your quarters too. All I ask is that you give me notice first."

"I don't understand, sir." Did he really hear the man correctly? "Why would you…"

Meeting Harry's eyes, Severus looked at the boy seriously and continued, completely ignoring Harry's comment. "If the corridors are full of students when you would like to come down, I would prefer you use the secret corridor. But please be sure you tell no one. At other times you are welcome to use the corridor past the classroom and my office; knocking for entrance first of course."

Harry nodded, the panic and uneasiness in his stomach releasing a tiny bit.

"Because it is now after curfew, I will walk you part way to Gryffindor tower through the secret passage so you will know how to find it in the future." Severus opened the door and motioned for Harry to exit. "Hold on," he stated then closed the door behind them. "I need to place a locking charm on the door so only you can gain entrance from it. Place your right palm on the center of the door." Once Harry's hand was in position, Severus removed his wand from his robes and said a spell at the door. Both the door and Harry's hand momentarily glowed red.

Severus replaced his wand. "Now all you need to do to gain entrance is place your right palm on the door. It will open at any time for you. However like I said, I would prefer if you notified me first."

Feeling only slightly better, Harry turned around from the door and looked at the potions master. "Thanks," he said quietly.

"Let us go. It is getting late." With those words Severus led Harry through the corridor and up through the castle. A few minutes later they rounded a corner next to the staff room. "You know how to get to Gryffindor tower from here I presume?" Severus asked.

Harry nodded reluctantly. "Yes sir."

"Very well. Go straight to your common room. I do not want to hear of you receiving a detention. Remember, if you feel any aches or pains I want you to see me immediately. And you still may be experiencing your leg giving out. Please be careful," he stated with a stern voice and hard look in his eyes. After waiting until he received a confirmation from Harry, which came in the form of another nod, he softened the look in his eyes and voice. "Good night Harry."

"Good night sir," Harry said quietly. He took a deep breath, turned away from the professor and began his trek to Gryffindor tower.

Severus stared at Harry's retreating form, still confused about the boy's behavior since dessert. When Harry disappeared around a corner, Severus turned around and returned to his quarters. Still incredibly tired from having to watch Harry for the past two days, he retired to bed immediately upon entering his quarters.

After leaving the potions master minutes earlier, Harry stood in front of the Fat Lady delaying his entrance into the common room. He wasn't sure how he would handle his friends' questions. However, as he remembered the final words from the professor, he quickly muttered the password and walked through the portrait hole with trepidation.

As expected, the second he entered the common room he was ambushed by Hermione and Ron.

"Harry, there you are. I've been worried sick about you," Hermione stated while giving Harry a hug. She quickly pulled back when she remembered where Harry had been for the past two nights. "How are you feeling?"

Ron came up behind Hermione. "Professor Lupin told us you got hurt in your detention Wednesday night. What did that git do to you?"

Harry looked at his two friends and then motioned for them to follow him to an empty table at the side of the common room. "I'm fine, guys." Seeing the look on their faces, he amended his reply. "Really, I'm fine. Professor Snape fixed me up."

"Yeah, he fixed you up all right. Right after he hurt you," Ron stated angrily.

Hermione kicked Ron under the table, eliciting a yelp from the redhead. "Ron, what is it with you and Professor Snape? Stop insinuating things that haven't happened. Besides, we've been over this hundreds of times. Snape is not after Harry."

Ron's ears turned slightly pink from Hermione's reprimand. "You say that, but I'm not sure you're convinced either."

"There has been no proof, Ron," Hermione responded.

"You must be blind then Hermione. Doesn't he give Harry detentions for no reason, doesn't he taunt him in the corridors, doesn't he make his life a living hell, doesn't he…"

"Okay, okay, you've made your point, but I'm not believing it. Just give it up," Hermione stated exasperated. She then remembered Harry was at the table and blushed slightly. "Sorry Harry."

Harry felt like he was at a tennis match watching the two argue back and forth. Having been slightly entertained by their bickering, he had a small smile on his face. "No problem guys." He gave a yawn.

"So Harry, what did happen during your detention?" Ron asked, his face loosing its slight blush.

"Professor Snape had me rebrew the potion from class. When I was getting the ingredients from one of the top shelves in the storeroom, I fell off the ladder."

"What!" Hermione cried.

"How did you fall off the ladder?" Ron added.

Harry sat there staring at his friends. He really hadn't thought that part through. His friends obviously knew his appearance changed, but they didn't know to what extent. As he looked past Ron's shoulder to the roaring fire in the fireplace, a thought came to his mind. "When I was coming down with the vials I needed, I lost my grip on the ladder. My hands were a bit too full I guess. I ended up bringing four shelves worth of vials and jars and the shelves themselves down with me."

Hermione's mouth was open in shock. "Oh Harry, I hope you didn't hurt yourself that bad. But since you've been gone since Wednesday night, I guess you did."

"Well, I broke my leg, a wrist and rib and I had cuts and bruises all over. I even had a concussion." Seeing the worry on Hermione's face, he added, "It's okay Hermione. I'm fine now. Professor Snape did a good job healing me. But if I feel any pain or anything I have to see him right away."

Ron was as equally shocked as Hermione, though for a different reason. "You mean…you mean you almost destroyed Snape's storeroom and you're still here to talk about it? And he wants to see you if you're still in pain?"

Harry nodded.

At first Ron could only shake his head back and forth. "I don't get it. I really don't get it. You should be dead. With his past, he should have killed you the second he found out you destroyed all his stuff."

"Yeah, well…" Harry gave a huge yawn, glad for its timing. He was beginning to feel uncomfortable. How was he to explain Professor Snape's change in attitude. That was something he wanted to keep to himself for now. "I'm sorry guys. I'm still a little tired." He stood up from the table. "I hope you don't mind, but I think I'll go on up to bed."

"But mate, it's still pretty early," Ron said almost completely outraged.

"Ron," Hermione answered. "Harry's been recuperating as well as having been in Professor Snape's company. No doubt he didn't sleep all that well. I know I wouldn't have." She turned to Harry. "Goodnight Harry."

Harry gave Hermione a grateful smile. "Good night guys." He then turned and made his way up the spiral staircase to his dorm room. As he changed for bed, he was glad with the way his return to the tower went. After getting in bed, he closed the curtains and lay down. As he lay there he realized some uneasiness was still present in his stomach.

~SH~

Severus awoke early, as was customary, on Saturday morning. After showering and getting ready for the day, he stepped out of his room and turned towards Harry's bedroom to check on the boy. It wasn't until he was two steps away from the door that he remembered he no longer had to check on Harry, that he had gone up to his tower the night before. Feeling foolish, he turned around and went to his kitchen to make a cup of tea to sip while perusing the day's Daily Prophet.

As he tried reading, his thoughts strayed to Harry. He began wondering how the boy slept, if he was in any pain, and more importantly, how he handled the pressure of his friends' endless questions. If Granger was anything like she was in class with her friends, he knew Harry would have been extremely uncomfortable. Now he wished he talked more to the boy. Maybe that was what Harry wanted to talk about when he made the boy go up to Gryffindor tower last night.

Severus grimaced after taking a sip of his tea and after glancing at the clock, figured he may as well head up to the Great Hall for breakfast instead of reheating the now ice-cold contents of his cup. He dumped the liquid in the sink and washed the cup out before leaving his quarters. As he entered the giant room from the side entrance and walked to the staff table, his eyes immediately traveled to the Gryffindor table and he began searching for Harry. He spotted Granger and Weasley seated near the entrance to the hall but Harry was not with them as expected. That was extremely interesting to Severus. The three were almost always together. Having reached the staff table, he sat down and served himself breakfast. As he began eating, he again searched the Gryffindor table. There was no sign of Harry.

Severus almost gave a chuckle as a thought entered his mind. In the past, while he was in the Great Hall he never wanted to see Harry Potter. And if the boy was missing he was ecstatic and not concerned in the slightest where the boy could be. Now over the last few months he was purposely seeking the boy out and was extremely concerned when he could not find him. Though this time he knew he really had nothing to worry about. No doubt the boy was catching up on some much needed rest. He wouldn't start worrying until breakfast came and went and there was no sign of him. However that didn't stop him from looking expectantly at the doors every time they were opened.

Having finished his breakfast, Severus refilled his coffee cup and sat at the table taking sips every few minutes. Most of the students had come and gone, as well as the professors. Unfortunately he had to come up with an excuse when Dumbledore asked him why he was still in the room. In the past he usually ate and left immediately. It was only until recently, when he discovered that Harry had been skipping meals, that he stayed at all meals until he was sure Harry had arrived and was eating. And based on observations of the boy in the past, Severus was about 98 percent sure when the boy would be in the Great Hall. This helped him greatly in avoiding questions like the headmaster's; that was up until today.

It wasn't until twenty minutes to the end of breakfast that the door opened and Severus spotted a wet-headed Harry enter the room. He took a sip of his coffee and began to observe the boy. Harry looked up and down the Gryffindor table, no doubt looking for his friends. When his face fell slightly, Severus felt a pang in his chest at the sight. Harry then walked slowly to an empty spot at the table near the staff table, and sat down, his head resting in his right hand. He was staring at his empty plate and had yet to serve himself any breakfast.

Having spent a lot of time observing Harry over the past few months Severus could see how miserable the boy was. He began wondering what made him look so down. Maybe his friends didn't accept the new broom? That would be something he knew Weasley would hold against Harry.

Seeing as Harry hadn't started making any effort to eat and breakfast was almost over, Severus discretely pulled out his wand and waved it under the table in Harry's direction. He gave a slight smirk as Harry jumped slightly when some sliced fruit, scrambled eggs and a piece of toast appeared on his plate. He felt a small amount of satisfaction when instead of looking around the table to see who gave him the food, Harry immediately looked up to the staff table. The boy had obviously realized it was always him who made sure he ate. The two made eye contact with Harry giving a small smile. Severus barely inclined his head in response as there was no need to draw attention. Inside he felt gratified. It was the first time Harry had ever acknowledged him. It was a good sign.

When Harry scooped up a forkful of eggs from his plate, Severus stood up, but not before jotting a quick note on a piece of parchment he transfigured from a napkin and fork. Instead of leaving the Great Hall through the side door, as was customary, Severus walked between the Hufflepuff and Gryffindor tables, and stopped next to Harry only long enough to drop the folded piece of parchment by his juice glass. He then continued on his way to his office.

~SH~

Harry was so caught up in his eating that he didn't notice when the professor walked up to him until he saw the folded piece of parchment being placed by his juice glass. Once the man walked away he set down his fork and picked up the parchment to read.

When he was finished reading, he looked up from the parchment towards the doors to the Great Hall and stared at the back of the black robed professor as he exited the room. Once the professor was out of sight, he turned his attention back to the note. He read it one more time before folding it up, placing it in his jacket pocket and continuing with his breakfast, all the while being unable to get a handle on his feelings. They were all over the place.

After waking up this morning he was excited to finally be able to hang out with Ron and Hermione. He had missed them when he had been bedridden. However, his excitement immediately turned to disappointment when he realized they were not waiting for him in the common room or the Great Hall.

As much as he didn't want to answer any more questions about being hurt or about his appearance, which were bound to come up since they always did, Harry really wanted to be with Ron and Hermione today. All his feelings about everything that happened over the past few months had come bubbling up last night making it difficult to sleep. He really wanted to talk with someone. He knew he couldn't go in to detail, but he figured he'd feel better talking about some of the things. He would have thought that after he had been hurt and healing for two days his friends would want to hang out with him. Guess his friends didn't care all that much. Even though they constantly denied it, they were too hung up with each other to even think about him.

Then there were his feelings about Professor Snape. He wasn't sure what to make of them.

He looked to his plate full of food. Ever since returning from the Christmas holiday, there were times when he wasn't eating and food appeared on his empty plate. The first few times it happened, he thought it was his friends looking out for him. He always had a habit of forgetting to eat and Hermione brought it up on more than one occasion. But it turned out to be the potions master. Harry always tried to ignore that fact and never offered any type of acknowledgement, but this morning he had a really hard time doing that. Maybe it was because the man spent two days taking care of him…maybe it was because he was his…claimed to be his…. He still wasn't able to finish his thought. Whatever it was, Harry did acknowledge the professor. And the concern he saw in the man's eyes stirred something deep within him on top of the slight uneasiness he had from last night.

As he stabbed a piece of melon on his plate he was glad to know that at least one person still cared about him. And surprisingly he didn't mind in the least that it was the potions master. The professor had done so much for him in the last three days; the last three months actually.

Five minutes later, after being pushed out of the Great Hall before he finished eating breakfast so the room could be cleaned, Harry meandered around the castle for a few hours before deciding to visit Hagrid. It had been a while since he had seen the half-giant and though Hagrid never really offered any advice he could take, he always felt better after they talked.

When he got close enough to the hut he noticed there was no smoke coming from the chimney, but he knocked on the wooden door anyway. When there was no acknowledgement from inside he began to feel disappointed again. Why was it that whenever he needed someone to talk to, there was no one around? Harry turned around and walked back up to the castle feeling down-hearted.

With his head down, he was about to walk up the steps to enter the castle when he ran into someone. He fell backwards, landing on the ground with a thud, and scraped his palms when he tried to stop his fall.

"Harry, I didn't see you there. Are you all right?"

Still slightly dazed from falling, Harry shook his head to clear the stars. Then he looked up to the concerned face of Remus. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just wasn't watching were I was going." He placed a stinging hand on the ground to stand up.

"Here, let me help you." Remus grabbed Harry's other hand and helped him stand up. "I'm sorry about that. I guess I should also look where I'm walking." He gave a small chuckle. Once Harry was on his feet, the two walked into the castle. "Actually I'm glad I ran into you. I heard about your accident in detention."

"Oh. Well, I'm…"

"So what exactly happened? I was only told you were hurt, and because Madam Pomfrey was out, Professor Snape had to heal you. You stayed in his quarters, correct?"

Before Harry had a chance to respond, another student whom Harry recognized as a second-year Ravenclaw, interrupted. "Professor Lupin, I've been looking all over for you. I know its Saturday but I have a question on the essay you set yesterday. Could I speak with you please?"

Harry immediately knew Remus was going to leave with the student. It was just like with everything that happened today. First his friends abandoned him, then Hagrid wasn't there when he needed him, and now Remus, the only one whom he could really discuss everything with, was brushing him off to tend to a student. Harry took a few steps back from the two.

Remus looked to Harry. "I'm sorry Harry. Can we finish our discussion later?"

Harry replied half-heartedly, not looking at him. "Yeah, I guess." To say he was disappointed would be an understatement.

"Thank you Harry. I'll see you later then?" Without waiting for a response or even a backward glance at Harry, Remus led the student to his office.

Harry watched the two walk away feeling more hurt than he thought possible. He then turned and walked in the other direction, straight to the stairs leading to the astronomy tower. Once he reached the top he sat on one of the ledges and brought his knees up, wrapping his arms around them. As he stared out at the trees blowing in the breeze and the white puffy clouds floating by he wished all his feelings and thoughts would join them. Maybe then he wouldn't feel so hurt.

He sat up on the ledge for an hour when he decided he was feeling a little warm with the sun beating down on him. He took off his jacket and as he folded it and placed it next to him on the ledge, he heard a crinkling coming from the pocket. It was then he remembered the note Professor Snape gave him at breakfast. He pulled it out and read it again.

If you would like to talk, I'm available this afternoon after lunch. You may come down to our quarters. No need to send a response. I will be there all afternoon.

How did the professor know he wanted someone to talk to? More importantly, did he really want to talk with the professor?

He turned his attention back to the floating clouds and sat there for a while longer. When the sky started to turn grey, the wind got colder and he started shivering, he pulled on his jacket and left the astronomy tower.