Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 6

Later that afternoon after finishing a lunch of the last of the stew from the night before, Harry found himself wandering around the house he hated so much, looking for something to do. As he wandered, he found out that Snape had yet to show up. Ending up in the dining room on the ground floor, he was a bit surprised to see it had changed since the last time he had been in it.

The room was made into a library. One wall of the large room held floor to ceiling bookshelves, stacked with books. The dining room table and chairs, which stayed in the room, were placed a few feet in front of the bookshelves. Across the room, on the right side of the fireplace, were two deep green armchairs with a table between them. The left side had a large, extremely comfortable, coffee-colored couch. It was situated so the back was to the bookshelves on the other side of the room and was facing the two chairs and fireplace.

Harry walked in and went over to the bookshelves. Running a finger along the books on one of the middle shelves, he glanced at the titles, not really paying attention to what he was seeing. His thoughts were miles away.

He couldn't believe that he'd only been alone in the house for about eight hours and was already bored out of his mind. When he had been locked in his room at the Dursley's he dreamed of the day he would have free reign of a house and do whatever he pleased. Now that he was in that situation, he couldn't stand it. He was slowly beginning to realize how Sirius must have felt last year, being stuck alone in this house. He had to have been miserable. Harry himself felt miserable, and alone, and it hadn't even been a day yet. But he did know that part of his misery was because of whose house he was stuck in.

Needing to keep his mind off Sirius, Harry dragged himself back up to his room. Just as he opened the door, two owls started pecking on the window. He let them in and removed the parchment they were carrying. As soon as their load was removed, the owls hooted their thanks and flew out the window. Harry then spent the next hour sitting on his bed responding to the letters he received; one from Hermione and Ron, who were both at the Burrow and were wondering how it was at Grimmauld Place, and the other from Hagrid, just saying hi.

~SH~

Severus had met with headmaster Dumbledore earlier that morning and learned he'd be a resident of Order headquarters for the next two days to keep an eye on Harry. In other words, he'd be babysitting the insufferable boy. He tried his best to get out of it, but Dumbledore wouldn't hear of it. He couldn't believe Dumbledore insisted he be the one to watch over Potter. The old man knew how much he loathed the boy.

Having taken his time packing, wanting to enjoy his last few hours without the presence of The-Boy-Who-Lived, he finally floo'd to Grimmauld Place mid-afternoon. He stepped out of the fireplace in the drawing room, infuriated. With a huff, he dropped some food off in the kitchen and brought his belongings into the empty bedroom on the first floor. After getting as settled as he wanted, which consisted off removing his cloak and leaving his clothes in his trunk by the foot of the bed, Severus went down to the library with a few journals and a book to read. He knew he'd more than likely be safe from bumping in to Harry there. The boy wouldn't step foot into a library.

~SH~

Harry, finding absolutely nothing to keep himself occupied for the rest of the day and tiring of his room, ventured down to the library carrying his book bag. He decided to finish his homework and, if needed, re-write or expand on some of the essays he already completed. He walked into the room and was about to go over to the table when he spotted Snape sitting in one of the arm chairs by the fireplace, reading.

Coming to an abrupt stop, Harry's shoes squeaked loudly on the wood floor and his book bag slid from his shoulder down to his hand so it was almost grazing the floor. He stared at the potions master, wondering when the man arrived. He didn't recall hearing any noises that would have signaled someone else was in the house. He was really hoping he wouldn't see Snape at all until he got to Hogwarts.

At the sound of the squeak, Severus lifted his head from the journal he was reading and glanced at the entrance with a scowl. "Potter." As much as he didn't want a conversation with Harry, Severus was warned by Remus, just before he left Hogwarts that morning, that he still wasn't feeling well. "Did you need something?" he question bitterly, hoping the answer would be no.

Harry put his book bag back on his shoulder. "No, sir. Erm…I didn't know you were here yet. I just came down here to work on my homework. But I can do it in my room. Sorry for the distraction, I didn't mean to disturb you." Not wanting to be in the same room with the man, he turned to head back up to his room.

Even though the last thing Severus wanted was to be in the company of the teen, he knew Harry had more right to be in the room than he did. It was his godfather's house after all. "Potter, as much as I detest being in the same room as you, I do not want to try and read your scribble on an essay you wrote using the carpeted floor as a desk."

Harry stood in the doorway with his thumb hooked around the strap of his bag on his shoulder, contemplating what to do. The thought of being in the same room as Snape made his stomach twist in knots, but he knew he'd have an easier time with his homework if he could spread it out on the huge table. Looking at his professor's cold black eyes one last time, without a word he walked to the table at the other side of the room and took a seat facing the book shelves. He opened his book bag, took out his parchment, books, quills and ink, spreading them along the large table, and began his homework.

With a furrowed brow, Severus watched Harry walk to the table, surprised that he listened to him. He really thought Potter would behave like he normally did and venture off to his room just to spite him. Confused as to the boy's behavior, he quickly averted his eyes to the potions journal in his hands and decided that after he was done with the article he was reading, he would go to another room to finish his journal in peace.

Two hours and forty-five minutes later, Severus was still in the arm chair, reading a new potions book he picked up earlier that day, having finished reading the journal. It wasn't until he heard coughing coming from the other side of the room that he remembered Harry was in the room with him. He looked over and saw that Harry was bent over the table with one hand marking a place in a book and the other writing swiftly on a piece of parchment.

Even though Harry was lost in his homework and wasn't causing any trouble, the mere presence of the boy in the same room as him was enough to irritate Severus. He grabbed his book and journals and decided to head to the kitchen for dinner and then up to his room for the rest of the night.

By the time Harry finished the essay he was working on, it was dark outside. Putting his school supplies back in his book bag, he turned around and saw that he was alone in the room. He couldn't remember when Snape had left the room. Feeling a little hungry, he went down to the kitchen for a sandwich and brought it back up to his room to eat. After eating he decided to spend the rest of the night in his room.

~SH~

Before dawn the next morning, Severus found himself wide awake. This was almost entirely due to his current residence in the house of Black, in the company of Potter. While having a quick breakfast down in the kitchen, thankfully alone, he decided to use his sleeplessness to his advantage and get a head start on the potions he needed to make before the start of term the next day. An added bonus to spending the day making potions would be he more than likely would not see Potter at all. With that thought he proceeded swiftly to the fireplace in the drawing room. Grabbing a handful of floo powder from the pot on the mantel, he threw it into the fireplace. When he saw the green flames, he stepped inside and stated, "Hogwarts, Professor Snape's quarters."

Within seconds he was standing just outside the fireplace in his personal quarters at Hogwarts, dusting the ash off his clothes. Wanting to enjoy his time without Harry, he slowly gathered the various items he would need for the potions. Even going slow, it only took him twenty minutes to gather everything on the table in his study. Not wanting to go back to Grimmauld Place immediately, he took a seat in one of his arm chairs and started leafing through a few journals he left on the table.

~SH~

Harry awoke early-morning from a painful coughing fit. He had begun thinking he was over his stupid cold, but obviously not. He just hoped it did not get worse. The thought of having to go to that greasy haired git made his skin crawl. Rubbing a hand over his face, he remembered it would be the last day in this house and the last day with Snape. Excited at those thoughts, he took a shower and went down to the kitchen to get something to eat. He wasn't all that hungry, but knew he'd better eat something.

Very hesitantly he stepped into the cold kitchen. If Snape was in the room, he didn't want his presence known and he'd go back to his room and wait until later to eat. But looking around, he saw the room empty. Letting out a deep breath, he walked fully into the room and made his breakfast. After eating and cleaning up after himself, he didn't want any reason for Snape to get irate, he figured he'd go back to the library and read through some of his books. He didn't want to get a head start on the year's lessons, but he really had no other means to keep occupied. And he desperately needed a way to forget where he was temporarily living.

Bringing a few books in his book bag down to the library, he decided against the table and instead opted for the couch to read. Reaching blindly into his bag after sitting down, the first book he pulled out was Advanced Potion-Making by Libatius Borage. He was tempted to put it back in his bag, but he didn't. Instead, he stretched out across the couch with his head on a pillow, and began reading. He actually was finding some things interesting and wanted to remember them. He reached into his bag and pulled out a notebook and quill to take notes.

~SH~

Severus had finished thumbing through the final journal and decided he'd better get back to Grimmauld Place. With Harry's talent for trouble, who knew what the boy would get into in such a short amount of time. As he placed his supplies in the two cauldrons and a bag, he glanced at the clock on the desk and was surprised that it had actually been hours since he arrived. To tell the truth, he hadn't planned on staying away as long as he had. He just hoped no one had gone looking for him at Order headquarters while he had been away. Pulling out his wand, he shrank the caldrons and bag and placed them in his pocket. He then stepped into the fireplace and floo'd back to Grimmauld Place.

Knowing the best location to brew his potions, he went straight to the library. He would have rather set up his lab in the room he was occupying so he wouldn't have any distractions, but the room was not large enough to brew properly. The kitchen was also out as there was a greater chance of running into Potter there, and that was one thing he was trying to avoid. Severus knew there was probably another room in the house he could use, but he didn’t want to go scrounging around the house. The less he saw of Order headquarters, the better.

Upon reaching the library, he was pleased to see that it was unoccupied. He figured Potter was either in his room or wandering about the house. He hoped that if the boy happened to come into the library and see him, he would decide to go somewhere else.

As much as he hated Black, Severus knew he couldn’t damage or destroy the room or the books with the fumes from his brewing. He pulled out his wand and cast a protection charm around the room. Wanting to make sure he was busy for the majority of the day, he decided to brew his potions one at a time. He then emptied one of the cauldrons on the table, set up everything for the first potion, and began to brew.

While waiting until he could add the last ingredient to the bubbling potion, which was in about twenty minutes, Severus decided to sit on the couch to relax. He grabbed his notebook with the list of potions he was to make and walked over to the couch. As he came around from the back, he saw that the couch was already occupied.

Harry was stretched out on the couch, lying on his back, asleep. The potions textbook he was reading earlier was open and tented over his chest. His notebook and quill lay on the floor where they fell out of his hand while it was hanging off the couch. "You always have to ruin my day don't you Potter?" he said, as he glared at the boy, even though he knew the boy could neither hear nor see him at the moment.

Needing to stay in the room to keep an eye on the potion, he settled into the arm chair across from the couch and flipped open the notebook to decide which potion to brew next. Seeing the next to the last potion on his list took over 4 hours from start to finish, he decided to work on that one next.

Hearing labored breathing coming from the couch, Severus looked over to Harry. It sounded like whatever the boy had caught, still wasn't gone from his lungs. And as he looked at the boy's pale and sweaty face, he could tell that his fever had probably come back as well. He wasn't going to admit that he was concerned, but he did know that the potions he had been given days before should have almost cured him. He was a bit puzzled as to why Potter was still having problems breathing.

As he sat there staring at the boy, he decided he wasn't going to do anything unless Potter asked, and he knew that would never happen. But as he saw Harry start to shiver, something made him get up and walk over to the couch. He removed the book from Harry's chest, tucking it under his arm and gently placed the blanket that had been on the back of the couch over Harry. He picked up the boy's notebook and quill from the floor, and shaking his head, went back to the chair as he removed the textbook from under his arm.

He sat down in the chair and placed the quill on the table. He was about to do the same with the notebook but wanted to see what Harry had been writing. Looking at the writing, he wasn't sure if he was reading it correctly. Harry was taking notes on potion making and techniques; potions that he hadn't even learned yet. Severus then looked at the textbook in his hand and was surprised to see that it was the book assigned to his sixth years. In shock that Harry was doing unassigned reading, especially potions, and had been taking notes, he glanced back at the boy asleep on the couch. That boy was confusing him, and that confusion was annoying him to no end.

Bored with just sitting in the chair with nothing to do but stare at the potion brewing across the room, Severus got up and went to the bookshelves. He had no intention of reading anything that the mutt Black had in the house, but wanted to see what kind of rubbish he left for Potter to read. After glancing at two shelves, he was surprised to see that the library's collection was pretty extensive. He could tell that some of the Order had stocked the shelves and recognized a few titles he knew Dumbledore was always recommending. Seeing a defense book that sounded interesting, Severus reluctantly removed it from its spot on the shelf and brought it back to the chair to read.

A chapter into the book, a puff of purple mist filled the air above the library table. Then the entire library smelled of lavender. Knowing he could add the last ingredient to the potion, Severus put down the book and finished up on the potion. After carefully bottling it, he began setting out the ingredients for the next, and longest to complete, potion.

Feeling hungry, and although knowing it was safe to leave the potion brewing without supervision, Severus dared not to do so with Harry in the room. Even in his sleep, Severus thought the boy could cause trouble. So instead he chose to go down to the kitchen to make some lunch and bring it back up to the library to eat, before starting on the potion.

As he looked around the kitchen and saw what little food there was, he was glad he had decided to bring some with him. He pulled out the makings for a sandwich and made two, then piled his plate with crisps. Picking up his plate, a cup, and a bottle of pumpkin juice, he brought everything back to the library and set it down on the table between the two arm chairs. He sat down and ate one of the sandwiches and some crisps before beginning on the second potion.

Slicing up the mandrake root and dumping it into the cauldron, he waited for the liquid inside to turn a shiny silver with light blue swirls, signaling all the potion had to do was simmer for the next three and a half hours. Once satisfied with its coloring, Severus walked back to the chair and continued reading the defense book.

Harry started to stir on the couch a half hour later. He opened his eyes and rubbed at them, trying to wake up. He couldn't believe he fell asleep. Again. That's all he seemed to be doing these past few days. He then looked down for his book and notebook and saw they were gone and then noticed he was covered with a blanket. Confused, he sat up and spotted Snape in the chair, absorbed in a book. He then saw his stuff sitting on the chair next to Snape. He shook his head at the thought that Snape covered him with a blanket again, and looked around the room, trying to figure out why the potions master was in the same room as him. He then saw the two cauldrons on the table behind him and realized Snape wouldn't go far if he was brewing potions.

Deciding to finish reading the chapter in the potions textbook he was in the middle of later, he reached in his bag for another book. As he sat back against the couch, he started coughing, deep coughs that made his lungs hurt.

At the sound, Severus looked over to Harry. He somehow seemed to be worse than the night he arrived. "Potter?" he questioned, his voice cold but a bit more worried than he liked.

"I'm…fine," he wheezed, then continued coughing, barely getting a breath in.

Severus remembered what he told himself earlier, but still found himself going to his room and coming back with the familiar open-topped box. He sat down on the couch next to Harry and tried to hand him a vial containing the sapphire blue potion.

"I'm fine," Harry said between harsh coughs and pushed the vial back at Severus.

"I know you were told to come to me when you began to feel worse, Potter," he spat, wishing he didn't have to bring that up.

"I don't feel worse," Harry protested, glaring at the man. "I don't need it professor." He continued coughing but was now doubled over in pain, with his head almost on his knees.

Severus shook a lock of dark lank hair from his face. "Potter, you will take this potion willingly or I will force it down your throat." He held out the vial again.

Severus' threatening tone made Harry flinch and he looked over at his professor to see his cold black eyes showing a hint worry and, if he was seeing right, fear. He reluctantly went to grab the vial from Snape's hand but the coughing overtook him and he brought his hand back to his chest.

Severus didn't like the sound of the cough at all. He was actually surprised that Harry wasn't coughing up blood. He hoped that the potion would calm the coughing down quickly. He didn't know what he would do if it got worse. Whatever Harry had, it was taking a strong liking to his lungs. He was beginning to feel a little nervous at the thought that whatever Potter had, was very serious and he probably wouldn't be able to help him.

The coughing subsided enough for Harry to take the vial from Snape’s outstretched hand. As he reached for it, he thought he saw Severus' hand trembling, but decided it was eyes playing tricks on him. He quickly downed the thick liquid and handed the empty vial back to Severus without a word.

As the coughing slowly stopped, Severus watched as Harry slowly leaned back against the couch and closed his eyes. "You will let me know if the tightness in your lungs does not improve in half an hour, Potter." Harry looked at Severus and nodded his understanding.

Satisfied, Severus removed himself from the couch and went back to the chair he was occupying earlier, depositing the box on the table. Harry slowly started to stand up from the couch. Severus saw this out of the corner of his eye. "Where do you think you're going Potter? You need to stay put for the next half hour."

"I just want to go down to the kitchen and get something to eat. I'm a little hungry."

Severus sighed and scowled at the boy. He definitely didn't want to play maid to him. Remembering the second sandwich he made himself but hadn't eaten yet, and knowing he wasn't going to now due to the nauseated feeling in his stomach caused by Potter, he got up and grabbed the plate. "I've lost my appetite," he muttered, more to himself, as he handed it to the boy. "I suppose you want something to drink as well?"

"Erm….yes, sir," he mumbled, unsure if he should have said yes. "But I could go get…"

"Silence." He looked at the boy exasperated. "What did I just say Potter? You are not to move from this couch for the next half hour."

"I'm not a baby," Harry whispered under his breath as Severus walked away. "I think I know how to take care of myself."

Severus heard Harry's comments, but decided to ignore him. The brat was already giving him a headache and didn't want to make it worse by talking to him anymore than needed. Instead he filled his unused glass with pumpkin juice and handed it to Harry.

After being able to only finish half the sandwich, Harry placed the plate and glass on the floor and wrapped the blanket tightly around himself. He was shivering again. Knowing that he more than likely had a fever, he was debating whether or not to let Severus know. If he let the man know, he’d get angry. If he didn’t let him know and the man found out he wasn’t told, he'd get angry. He was screwed no matter what. He decided that he'd rather feel better and have Snape angry at him.

Harry glanced over at Severus. When he saw the man turn a page in the book, he decided to interrupt. "Professor, do you happen to have anything for a fever? I think mine came back."

Clearly annoyed, and his facing showing his displeasure, Severus picked up his wand from the table next to him and pointed it at Harry.

Harry saw the look on Snape's face and became frightened, his face growing extremely pale, not knowing the intent of the potion master's drawn wand. "Forget about it sir," he said quickly. "I'm sorry I disturbed you."

"Potter, though there are times when I wish to see you suffer, and I will not deny that, this is not the case right now." Severus flicked his wand, and a few seconds later, the boy's temperature appeared in red glowing numbers at the tip.

Harry stared at Snape in shock, with his mouth hanging slightly open.

Severus reached into the box he had placed on the table and handed the fever reducing potion to Harry, which he gladly swallowed. Replacing the vial in the box, he noticed that was the last of the potion for Harry's cough and he would need to take more over the next few days. "Since you feel the need to deplete my stores of ingredients, Potter, it only seems logical for you to assist me in making the potion for your cough. You will more than likely need to continue taking it for a few days."

Harry thought this request extremely odd, and sat there staring at the potions master, who was again absorbed in his book. "But sir, I'm no good at potions, as you well know."

Severus put down his book and looked at Harry with a sneer. "I am well aware of your potion brewing abilities. Or should I say lack of," he said icily.

Though he had just told the man the same thing, Harry still glared at Snape. He really didn't want his potion making skills to be reaffirmed. He tried the next thing he could think of to get out of making the potion. "You'll only lose more of your ingredients if I help, professor."

"You have no choice in the matter, Potter. Since my ingredients are going to be used for you, you are required to help." He looked back down at his book, but before reading, spoke one more time. "We shall wait until your half hour is up before beginning the potion. Until then, stay put and be quiet."

Harry groaned, still glaring at Severus, and then turned his attention to his book bag. He picked up another book within and started reading.

At the half hour mark, Severus got up and went to the large table to check on his brewing potion and to make sure he had all the ingredients needed for Harry's potion. Seeing he had everything, he closed his eyes and let out a deep breath, preparing for the next hour he'd be in close quarters with Potter. Opening his eyes, he saw Harry wasn't at the table. But he should have expected that. He then turned toward to the couch. "Potter, do you still not know how to tell time?"

Harry was engrossed in the text he was reading, he wasn't aware of the time. At the sound of Severus' silky cold voice, Harry quickly put the book down and hopped off the couch. "Sorry sir. I got caught up in my reading."

Severus just looked at the boy as he made his way to the table, unwilling to believe he was interested in reading textbooks. When Harry stopped in front of the table, Severus took a calculating look at him. "Before we begin Potter, I need to be sure you won't pass out and waste even more of my ingredients."

Harry guessed that was Snape's way of asking him how he felt. "I'm fine professor. The potion worked."

Severus gave a slight, almost non-existent, nod and turned toward the empty cauldron. "Begin by filling up the cauldron with the water over there. Then when you're done, grate the ginger root and finely chop the eucalyptus leaves."

"Okay." Harry then got to work immediately.

Severus watched Harry dump the bowl of water into the cauldron and then begin grating the ginger. "Use the smaller side of the grater, Potter. The ginger root shavings need to be extremely small." After seeing Harry nod, he went over to the cauldron, lit the fire underneath, and began adding ingredients.

Forty-five minutes later, with the potion almost complete, Severus and Harry were surprised at how easy it was to work with each other. Severus had made only a few insulting comments to Harry, and Harry, surprisingly, barely made any mistakes with the potion.

Harry finished the counter-clock-wise stirring of the potion and looked to Severus. "What is the next step professor?"

Severus placed a half dozen empty vials on the table and turned to Harry. "That is all Potter. I can handle the rest. You can go back to whatever it was you really wanted to be doing."

"Thank you sir." Harry turned around and headed for his book bag, intent on grabbing all his school supplies and getting out of the room as fast as he could. As he sat on the couch to put his books back in the bag, he realized that he didn't really want to leave. Even if the professor was busy, and he couldn't stand the man, he was still in the same room as Harry. At that moment, he really didn't want to go up to his room and be all alone. Instead, he found himself sitting back on the couch reading the book he had been reading before making the potion.

Severus finished adding the final ingredient to the potion and waited the five minutes before it could be bottled. After bottling the potion, he filled the cardboard box with the vials and went to place it on the table by the arm chairs. As he rounded the couch, he was surprised to see that Harry was still in the room, lying on the couch reading a textbook. Severus scowled at the boy and went back to check on the other potion he was in the middle of making, before taking a seat at the table and reading more of the defense book.

Hours later, after the potion was complete and bottled, Severus decided to head down to the kitchen to make himself some dinner. He'd then go back to the library and make the remaining potions. Upon walking into the kitchen, his eyes were drawn to the table where he saw a pot of soup and some bread and butter set out on the table. Hearing water running from the sink, he turned to the left and saw Harry at the sink, washing out a bowl and cup.

After drying and putting away the bowl and cup, Harry turned around to go back to his room and hoped to not run in to Snape. But he spotted the man in the doorway. "Professor." He nodded to the kitchen table. "I know you probably won't touch it, but I only know how to make a pot of soup not just a bowl. I left everything out in case you wanted some. I'll put it all away in an hour." Without waiting for a response, Harry slid past Severus and ran up to his room.

Severus walked into the kitchen and stared at the doorway after Harry. Knitting his brow, he turned back to the table. Surprised that Harry would do such a thing, he took the empty bowl on the table and ladled some of the soup into it, determining whether or not he wanted to risk his life by eating food the boy made. Buttering a piece of bread, he sat down and began to eat. Amazed that the soup was actually quite good, he continued eating while contemplating what came over Potter. Deciding to give that up after a few minutes, he finished eating while scanning the day's Daily Prophet he left on the table earlier that morning. After eating, he placed the leftovers in the refrigerator and cleaned his bowl. He then proceeded back to the library to complete the final potions.

Finishing his potions late that night, Severus cleaned up, and packed everything away, leaving the items on the table instead of bringing them to his room. He then went to bed, wanting to leave the house tomorrow morning as soon as he could.

Just like the morning before, Severus was up before dawn. He quickly took a shower and got dressed. Grabbing his trunk, he went to the drawing room to gather his caldrons, potions and other items. He shrunk them all and stuck them in his pocket. Before stepping over to the fireplace, he quickly wrote a note on a piece of parchment Harry had left in the room. With a spell, he made the note go to Harry's room and land beside his glasses on the night table. He then stepped into the fireplace and floo'd to Hogwarts, grateful to be out of that blasted house and Potter’s company.

~SH~

Bright sunlight filtered through the bedroom window streaming on Harry's head, waking him up. Squinting his eyes, he slowly got up and put on his glasses. Smiling that he'd be leaving the horrid house and going home to Hogwarts today, he went to stand up. He then spotted a note on the bedside table. Recalling that it hadn't been there last night, he picked it up and unfolded it.

Potter,

The potion you assisted with yesterday is in the cardboard box in the library. Take one vial every day until the tightness in your lungs disappears, or the potion is gone. Mr. Weasley will be here at 10am to take you to Kings Cross Station, so be ready. Make sure you have packed everything, though with your incompetence you will more than likely leave something behind.

SS

Harry glared at the letter and ripped it up, throwing the pieces in the trash bin near the wardrobe. He then took a shower and got dressed. Glancing at the clock in his room, he saw he only had a half hour until Mr. Weasley would be arriving. He spent that half hour going through all the rooms in the house making sure he had all his belongings packed and ready. At five minutes to ten, he brought everything down to the library. As he made his way down the stairs, he ran into Mr. Weasley.

"Hi Harry. Ready to go?" the red-haired man questioned.

"Yes, Mr. Weasley. I'm all set."

"Great, let's go."

Harry began lugging his trunk as he followed Mr. Weasley down the stairs toward the front door.

"Let me take that for you Harry." Mr. Weasley took hold of Harry's trunk and dragged it out of the house into the waiting car outside, with Harry following behind. He saw Harry look inside the car for other occupants. "The rest of the family is on their way to the station already. There wouldn't have been enough room in this car for all of us. Plus, since I'm new at driving this Muggle contraption, I didn't want to have a lot of noisy people with me."

Harry nodded and got in the car.

"Ready Harry?"

Harry took one last look at the house as it slowly disappeared from the row of dilapidated houses. "Yeah," he said thickly.

Mr. Weasley gave a sympathetic glance at Harry and started the car, driving them both to Kings Cross Station.