Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

Note: In response to the ‘String Walkie-Talkie’s’ challenge by Jan_AQ

This is about the fluffiest thing I have ever written.

 

Thanks to my friend MAB who drew this for me!

Author's Chapter Notes:
About the title: Pawn

I chose this title because Harry feels like he doesn't have any control over his life, just like a pawn in a game.
Just a Pawn

"Stupid, sodding, rotten- of all the things, I can't believe..."

Severus Snape narrowed his eyes as muttered ranting came out of the rusted metal bean can connected to a string that he was holding. The Headmaster's idea of a joke, he was sure, to enlist him and an unsuspecting student to try out his little Muggle invention.

"Here Severus, you take this end and go about your business and I will find a student to communicate on the other end. I have magically enhanced the string to lengthen to any distance."

Severus muttered as he remembered his ill-fated conversation with the aging man some thirty minutes ago. Now he sat at his desk grading end of year tests and looking forward to the day after tomorrow when all of the troublesome students would disappear off the face of the planet for the summer, at least as far as he was concerned.

He had had his doubts that the device would work to transmit any type of message without the help of magic until he had heard the agitated ranting echoing weakly from the bean can. So the Headmaster had indeed found some unsuspecting student to try out the invention. By the sound of it the student did not realize his voice was transmitting through the can.

For a few moments he listened hard to try and decipher who's voice was on the other end as the boy muttered quietly for a moment more followed by a thud, a moan, and a few choice words.

"Thinks he can control my life. Well maybe I should just take a flying leap out of an office window. Show him."

Consternation crossed his face as he tried to decide if there was any real threat to the child in those words, but his thoughts were cut short when he started to mutter again.

"How would he like it if I sentenced him to three months of torture? See how the hell he likes being locked in the shed and half drowned in the bathtub. Maybe somebody ought to break a few of his bones to see how he likes it, then make him sit through Snape's class while the man makes fun of him for not being able to sit straight."

Severus sat up straight suddenly when a sudden flash of memory revealed himself at the start of the year criticizing Potter for slouching and having bad manners. He narrowed his eyes at the can as the boy muttered some more and there was another thud followed by a grunt of anger. Obviously he was kicking or hitting something, likely a wall.

"Can't believe he won't let me stay for the summer. One lousy month until I'm 17 and can live on my own, but no. Instead he pats me on the head and gives me a stupid bean tin."

Here Severus' bean can suddenly jerked off the desk and landed on the floor, and it was a moment before he recovered from surprise and realize that Potter had jerked on the other end.

"I'm not even going to do it. Maybe I'll just yank on it until the other end comes to me and then throw the whole thing into the lake. Stupid piece of trash that'll never work anyhow."

The can in Severus' office clattered across the floor and clanked hard against the door where it fell still and then smacked into the door several more times, followed by more irritated muttering by Potter.

"Who'd he give the other end of this stupid piece of junk anyhow? Bet he tied it to a door and gave me the other end just to irritate me."

Severus' can fell to the floor again suddenly and remained still. He heard a sigh come out of it and noted how dejected it sounded, especially for happy go lucky Potter, whom up to ten minutes ago had yet to surprise him. Obviously the boy's life was not as it seemed, or else he wouldn't be ranting into a can about not wanting to go home for the summer.

There was a vague noise that Severus associated with something sliding against stone, and then in a quiet and defeated voice, Potter said, "I hate my life. When will anybody actually care to see that?" Severus used his wand to summon the can to him.

"Mr. Potter."

There was a loud clatter and Severus knew that he had startled the boy into dropping the can on the floor. He waited, and knew the boy's mind was working furiously on the other end.

"S, sir?"

Severus sat straight again. The voice was timid and Severus was unaccustomed to this particular student speaking in such a respectful tone with him, especially calling him sir.

"Come down to my office. Bring the can."

There was silence for long moments, and Severus wondered if the boy would do as he was told or take off running and not look back.

"Ok." He almost didn't hear the response but it was there and five minutes later there was a knock on the door.

"Come."

The door opened and Harry stood on the other side with a ball of red yarn wrapped around the can so tall that you could no longer see the rusted metal anymore.

"Set the can on my desk and sit down."

Doing as he was told, Severus noted the look of uncertainty and fear in Harry's eyes.

"Exactly which bones were broken when I chastised you for slouching at the start of the year?"

Harry turned red and looked down at his hands which were busy occupying themselves by wringing each other tightly.

"You were keen enough on venting about it in the halls five minutes ago Potter, so elaborate now."

"My ribs sir, and maybe something in my back."

"Hm."

When there was no other response from his professor, Harry looked up briefly to wonder that the man might actually be considering that Harry was not lying. What people said might actually be true, he thought, there is a first time for everything.

"And you have explained this to the Headmaster?"

Harry nodded.

"And he still seems intent on sending you home for the summer?"

"He said there was no one willing to stay around the castle to watch a student. And he won't let me stay with the Weasley's."

"Interesting considering Mr. and Mrs. Weasley have petitioned him every year after your first to let you reside with them during holidays."

Harry looked up, both startled and touched by this information. "Th, they have?"

"Indeed."

The boy was biting his lip now and looking at an empty place on the desk between them.

"If you intend on stay with them starting the day after your birthday, then I will petition the Headmaster to let you stay with a staff member for the next month."

"Sir?"

Snape raised his chin and Harry read him loud and clear, he had heard him right.

"But Professor McGonagall is going to India and Sprout will be in Bosnia, and Professor Flitwick was going home to his wife and kids and-"

Severus raised his brow, and Harry stopped talking. "Oh."

"It is entirely up to you, provided you agree not to destroy my house or disturb my peace for the next month."

Harry swallowed. He didn't want to think about what a month with Snape would be like, when he hated even being with him in class for a single hour. And yet, his previous summer had been the worst yet, and his Uncle had threatened him with a hospitalization and the death of his owl if he ever returned again.

"Yes sir."

"Good. Now go and pack your things and do not worry yourself over it any longer. You may see your friends off at the train tomorrow, but you will be in the Entrance Hall by lunch, ready to disembark."

Harry nodded, feeling dazed. "Yes sir." He rose and wandered up through the castle. Half an hour ago he'd been kicking walls and hauling a tin can with string around up on the third floor. Now he was facing his first ever Dursley free summer.

"Maybe I don't hate my life so much after all," he said quietly to himself, as he ran to tell Ron and Hermione the news.

The End.
Chapter End Notes:
Well, that's it. Sorry but there will be no continuation of this. Just a short little one-shot full of nothing.

Hope you enjoyed!