Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
There's some mild language in this chapter just so you know.
Light Up the Sky

      I awoke late in the night; I did not understand why I was screaming, or why I was standing in the middle of my bed, or why Minerva was holding my shoulders. Or even why Harry, Hermione, and Draco were peering anxiously through my bedroom door, all of them in their pyjamas. I had no idea how I had gotten there or what had happened.

      "Hi," I said to Minerva, rather worried. "What happened?"

      "Oh thank goodness," she sighed, pulling me into a hug. "You're awake."

      "What happened?" I asked again, looking at Hermione over Minerva's shoulder.

      "You had a night terror," Hermione replied, sounding worried.

      "What's a night terror?" I asked, Minerva still hanging onto me tightly. "Is a night terror like a sleep ep-epsode? Mummy says I have things called sleep epsodes. I don't ever remember them well."

      "A night terror is like a really, really bad nightmare," Minerva told me, having set me on my bed. "Usually the person moves around as if they are awake and calls out a lot, but they are extremely hard to wake up. Sometimes they just go into a deeper sleep after one."

      "Oh, Mummy calls them sleep epsodes," I said.

      "Episodes dear," Minerva corrected.

       "Did I wake you up?" I asked anxiously, looking mostly at Draco and Harry.

       "You did, but that's all right," Harry spoke up. "You couldn't help it."

       Draco nodded his head. I relaxed a bit. I had been worried they would yell at me for waking them, or worse, yell at Hermione and blame her for it. Daddy did that to Mummy a lot, even when it wasn't her fault.

       "Do you remember anything from your dream?" Minerva asked my softly.

       I frowned a moment. I did remember a few little fuzzy things here and there.

       "I think it's the one I have lots," I said to her, eyes widening as fuzzy details returned.

       "Can you tell me about it?" she asked.

       "Okay," I began.

       And so I told her where the dream always started - in the kitchen with Mummy. Every time I would break something: a plate, sometimes a cup. And then Daddy would come in and start yelling at me, which was bad, but then he'd corner Mummy and start yelling at her all sorts of horrible words I wasn't supposed to say.

      "What kinds of things does your daddy say Severus?" Minerva asked softly. I glanced over to Harry, Hermione and Draco. I was glad Hermione was there. I felt safe with her near.

      "I'm not s'posed to say those words," I muttered.

      "I give your permission to say those words just once," Minerva said. "I know you don't mean them."

      I took a deep breath.

      "You useless tramp! Goddamn tart, why'd you have to have give birf to such a useless freak of a child! Get back to work, and bring me a beer!" I shouted, trying to mimic Daddy.  

      I was startled to see that Minerva had her hand to her mouth, and she had started crying.

     "I told you they were bad words," I whispered, eyes wide with worry. Was she going to get mad at me? "I told you."

     "Oh Severus, I never knew," Minerva said, baffling me and pulling me into her arms. I looked up at Harry, Draco and Hermione. Hermione looked shocked, sort of like Minerva. I thought Harry looked sad. But I couldn't figure out how Draco looked, for he nodded his head, almost as though he understood.

     "It's okay Minerva," I told her. "Mummy's nice, so why are you crying?"

     "I feel like such an idiot!" she sobbed. "I should have seen it, with all the signs, and after third year and you went back there with her gone, what were we thinking!"

     "Minerva," said Draco suddenly. He sounded like he was warning her.

      "What do you mean?" I asked, confused. "And you're not an idiot, you're really smart. You can make soup. I can't make soup." I tried my best to cheer her up. Minerva gave a little hiccup, and a shaky laugh.

      "Sorry," she apologized. "I got confused for a moment."

      "That's okay," I told her, bewildered.

       "You three should get back to bed," Minerva said suddenly to Harry, Hermione and Draco still standing nearby.

        "Alright," Harry sighed. "Goodnight Sev."

       They all said goodnight and left the room, leaving Minerva to tuck me in again.  I couldn't figure out for the life of me what she had meant earlier. She must have been really confused. I also didn't understand why she was so upset about Mummy and Daddy fighting. All parents did that, didn't they? I yawned slightly, deciding that I would just forget about what she said. I was tired, but I was a little scared to go back to sleep, mostly ‘cause I didn't want to have another night terror.

       "Minerva," I whispered as she went to leave the room. "Can you stay with me?"

       "If you would like," she smiled sadly, pulling a chair up to my bed and smoothing my quilt again.

       "Do you think Mummy's ok?" I asked sleepily after a while, wondering how she was with me gone.

       "She's doing just fine," Minerva assured me.

       "R-Really?" I yawned. "Are you sure?"

       "Yes, there isn't a doubt in my mind," Minerva whispered, glancing out the window and into the starry sky.

      "Good," I said with a smile before drifting off to sleep once more, this time into pleasant dreams of sitting on Mummy's lap by the fire while she read me stories.  

       ***

      "Lookit Harry it's an owl," I said, pointing at the bird sitting on the kitchen windowsill as we ate our breakfast.

     "I wonder who the letter is for," Harry muttered, getting up to untie the letter from the barn owl's foot. "Oh, it's for Minerva."

      Harry set the letter down and went back to his breakfast. We soon found out what the letter said, for Minerva came downstairs too.

      "It's from my niece," she said to me when I asked her who it was from.

     "How old is she?" I asked, wondering if she was my age.

     "Twenty-six," Minerva told me, setting the letter down.

     "Oh," I said, a little disappointed. I had hoped she would come and visit and I would have someone my age to play with.  Oh well.

     "She's just telling me how she's doing, seeing as she's going to have a baby," Minerva said, sounding excited. "She's going to have it really soon, so she wanted to tell me that she would make sure someone contacted me when she was going to have it."

     "Oh," I said dully. Women and babies. Why on earth did they have to get so excited about people having babies? I mean, they're all pink and screamy, what's to like about them? 

       "Which reminds me," Minerva said, "I was planning on getting her a gift for the baby ..."

      Harry looked up from the paper he was reading.

      "You could go to Diagon Alley today," he said. "We'll be fine for a while."

      "I wouldn't want to leave Sev though." Minerva looked at me, frowning slightly.

      "He'd be perfectly fine with us," Harry said, going back to his paper.

      "I don't know," Minerva said. "Perhaps I worry too much."

      "You could bring me along," I said hopefully. I looked at Harry apologetically. It wasn't as if I didn't want to spend the day with him, but this was an adventure!

      "You wouldn't mind coming along?" Minerva said, surprised.

      "No," I shook my head. "I like going places sometimes."

      "Well, in that case you can come along," she told me. "We'll wait a few hours. A lot of shops don't open this early."

      "Okay," I replied with a grin.

        ***

       We got to the Leaky Cauldron about ten-o-clock. As we entered Diagon Alley I couldn't help but feel proud that I didn't sick up from going through the floo. I still did that sometimes.

      "Take my hand Sev," Hermione said. I obeyed.

      Hermione had come along with us too, as she was hoping to find a book she'd been looking for. Harry and Draco had stayed home, which worried Minerva a great deal. I wondered what mischief they would get up to, and was looking forward to hearing what they did from Harry when we returned.

      We walked down the streets, through the crowds of shoppers and over to a little shop that sold baby things. It was really boring in there: nothing but a bunch of parents with their sloppy babies drooling on their shoulders. I was glad I was Mummy's only baby. That way I didn't have any spitty little brothers or sisters to chew on my quilt. I had plenty of time to ponder this, owing to the fact that Minerva took forever picking out something for her niece's baby. I was lucky that Hermione was so good at making things interesting.

      "I spy with my little eye, something blue," she said, looking down at me. I swung my hand in hers, thinking hard as I looked around the shop.

      "That blanket?" I asked, pointing over to a baby wrapped up in its mummy's arms.

      "No, guess again," Hermione said.

      "Oh! It's that teddy isn't it!" I said excitedly, pointing to the stuffed bear by the window.

      "Good job!" Hermione congratulated me. "Okay, your turn."

      "I spy with my little eye, something ... green!" I cried, looking at the enchanted toy train chugging across a track on a shelf.

      "Hmm, is it that pair of pyjamas?" Hermione pointed out. I shook my head enthusiastically. "The poster in the window?"

      "Uh uh!" I told her. Boy was I good at eye spy!

      "Okay, time to go," Minerva said, coming over to us now that she'd found and paid for what she was looking for.

      "Well then, what was it that you spied?" Hermione asked, glancing around the room once more before we left.

      "The train!" I said with a grin as we left the shop.

      "I can't believe I didn't guess that," Hermione said, shaking her head in amusement.

         It was a relief when we reached the cool air of Flourish and Blotts, as it was getting hot out. It was sort of damp too. While Minerva read me a book in the children's section, and Hermione looked for her book, I noticed something odd. There was a bunch  of shady looking men on the level above us, staring at me from above the railing. They were whispering about something and they kept nodding their heads. I told Minerva about this, and she didn't turn her head but I saw her look at the men out of the corner of her eye. She paled and picked me up into her arms, telling me softly to be quiet and pretend I didn't see them. Minerva went up to Hermione, who still hadn't found her book.

        "Hermione, we need to go," Minerva whispered urgently.

       Hermione didn't question why. She just followed Minerva, understanding that something was wrong. My heart stared to flutter; I didn't like this at all. We had almost reached the door when the shady group of men leaped down from above. One knocked over a stack of books when he landed.

      "That's him alright," said the leader of the group, looking straight at me. The two others whispered behind him.

       "You can't hide from Him," growled one of them. "Nobody hides from Him, surely you know that." He circled around us and made to touch my face. Minerva jerked away and I whimpered and buried my nose in her robe. He laughed.

      Minerva shifted me so that she held me with one arm, leaving her free arm to whip out her wand faster than lightning. Shoppers stared as the scene unfolded.

      "You're not going to stop us taking him," hissed one in her ear.

      "Watch me," Minerva said through gritted teeth. She waved her wand, air crackling around it as magic radiated off of her. The two men blocking the door leapt aside as a jet of light fizzled through the air. Minerva stuck her wand in her teeth and grabbed a hold of Hermione with the hand that was left free, pulling her out the door before the men (who appeared to be a bit dim) could grab us. I was surprised at her speed as I jolted in her arms, shops racing past as Minerva sprinted through the streets. I hid my eyes in her robes when I saw the men run out of the shop after us, shooting curses through the air and scattering crowds. Minerva shot a spell over her shoulder, having let go of Hermione and retrieved her wand from her teeth. Hermione was running beside us and as we rounded the corner of a building. When we had grinded to a halt Minerva wrapped her arm tightly around Hermione's.

      "We're apparating," she said quickly as the sound of footsteps approached us. I caught one glimpse of the men before Minerva turned on the spot and they disappeared as we were sucked into blackness.  

      We appeared near the house, my tummy churning. Minerva still held me in her arms, my head resting on her shoulder. Hermione stood beside us, looking windswept. I became increasingly aware of how dizzy I was and how much my tummy was protesting.

     "'Nerva I'm gonna-" I started anxiously.

     Too late. I threw up on the back of her robes. Hermione jumped back, suddenly pale.

      "Oh Severus," Minerva sighed wearily, shifting me in her arms.

      "S-Sorry," I said, starting to cry.   

      "It's alright dear, it wasn't your fault," she soothed, rubbing my back. "Apparating isn't kind to little tummies. I'm sorry we had to. "   

      My tummy was still sore. I cried softly as she carried me up to the house. Harry and Draco looked up from their chess game when we entered the living room.

     "What happened?" Harry asked, worried.

     "We ran into a couple of Death Eaters," Minerva said. I was still feeling too sick to care what a Death Eater was. "We ended up having to apparate away, and Severus is a little motion sick."

     "Poor kid," Harry muttered, looking at me sympathetically.

     "Hermione, could you take him to his bed while I go get changed?" Minerva asked. "There's some children's stomach soother in the bathroom cupboard you can give him too."

     "It's not c-contagious is it, the throwing up thing?" she muttered anxiously.

     "No, just motion sickness," Minerva clarified.

     "It's okay Hermione, I'll take him," Harry said suddenly. Minerva set me in Harry's arms, and Hermione mouthed a thank you to Harry. I figured she was a little squeamish about some stuff.  

      I continued to cry as Harry carried me to the bathroom. He reached into the cupboard for the stomach soother and a little cup to give it to me in.

     "Severus," he said softly, "you need to drink this, okay kiddo?"

      "No," I muttered tearfully, my stomach still feeling funny. "I'll sick up again!"

      "You won't. It will make your tummy better," Harry told me, free hand holding the cup up near my face.

      "You sure?" I sniffled.

      "I'm sure. I've tried this stuff before," he assured me, looking rather amused for some reason. "Works like a charm."

      "Okay," I said, letting him hold the cup to my lips. I drank it in one gulp, and was pleased when my stomach felt cool all of a sudden. It tasted pretty good too, and got rid of the icky taste in my mouth.

     "Better?" Harry whispered, wiping my face with a cool cloth.

      I nodded and leaned my head against his shoulder.

     "Okay, I'd say we get you to bed for a nap. You look pretty tired."

       I didn't protest when he took my to my bed, helped me into my pyjamas and tucked me in. He handed me Alex and gave me a hug.

      "I'm sorry you were sick," he said. "Being sick isn't any fun, is it?"

      "I want Mummy," I whispered to him sleepily, a tear sliding down my cheek.

      "I know, but she can't be here," sighed Harry. "She loves you lots and lots though, especially when she can't be with you. I bet she misses you just as much as you miss her."

      I smiled at Harry for trying to make me feel better, but my tummy still ached for Mummy, though in a different way than when I was sick. I guessed it would never truly stop aching when she was gone, just less after a while. I gave Harry another hug and snuggled down under the covers, watching him draw the curtains. I fell asleep before he could turn out the light.

 

       ***

       That night it was terribly hot. The house still had not cooled down, and the air felt damp. The heat pressed down on me in my bedroom, and I kicked the covers off crankily. All afternoon it had been positively boiling outside, and all we could do was lay around panting like lizards. I had been hoping the house might cool down a bit, but it didn't. Even with my window open my skin felt icky, and my hair stuck to my neck. The curtains in my window were as still as the air outside, for the breeze did not ruffle the material like it should have. I frowned slightly. Everything was terribly quiet. I grew uneasy in the silence. So, unable to stand one more moment in bed, I grabbed Alex and padded out of my room, my bare feet making soft sounds across the wood floor. I wasn't sure where I was headed, but soon found myself going down the stairs. Carefully I made my way down them, going slowly in the dark.

        I finally made it into the living room, and took a glance at the entrance area. I was surprised to see that only the screen door was closed, seeing as Minerva normally shut the big door for the night so nobody came in the house.  I wondered if somebody was out there, so I summoned all of my courage and tiptoed to the door, prodding it open with my hand and sticking my head around it. Somebody was standing by the railing.

      "Hello Sev. What are you doing up?" asked Draco, sounding mildly surprised.

      I stayed where I was, silent.

       "Couldn't sleep because of the heat?" Draco asked me.

       I nodded.

       "Would you like to see something neat?" he asked me. "Come over here."

       I quietly slid across the porch and over to where he was leaning on the railing. He lifted me up and into his arms so I could see over it.

      "Look at that," Draco whispered to me, pointing to a spot on the dark horizon.

      I held Alex tighter and looked where he told me to. I was surprised when a flash flickered through the distant clouds, zigzagging silently through the darkness.

 "Lightning," Draco said. "I think we might get a storm."

  I breathed in sharply as another flash lit up the sky.

"Why's there no thunder?" I asked anxiously; it was so quiet.

"The storm is pretty far away yet," Draco replied, still holding my tightly. "Just you wait, we'll hear some soon. It's getting closer."

     "Really?" I asked, wondering how he knew.

     "Yes, look at the way the clouds are shifting. Those will come our way."

      Sure enough, another flash of lighting illuminated the clouds, and they had moved closer. We watched in silence, the storm growing ever nearer, and after a few minutes a low growl of thunder met our ears. I shivered a bit.

      "Does it scare you a little?" Draco asked me softly. I nodded, and he held me closer. "Thunder used to scare me too. But my godfather always told me that thunder is only a sound, and it can't hurt me. Even so, I still jump when it gets real loud."

      "Did you see that one?" I cried suddenly, awestruck after seeing a huge fork of lightning streak through the clouds.

      "Yeah I did," Draco said. "That one was close. Let's listen for the thunder."

       I hung onto Alex tighter, and leaned my head against Draco's chest. Sure enough the thunder came, much louder this time. I felt safer knowing Draco was there.

      "Gee, it's moving fast," Draco muttered. "Do you want to watch a little longer?"

      "Yeah," I said, suddenly feeling courageous. "Alex wants to too."

     "Why don't we sit down then," Draco said, walking over to the steps at the front of the porch. He lowered himself down on the top step and settled me in his lap.

       We watched the storm grow closer and closer, until we felt the first breath of wind. Then the rain dropped down like a curtain, sweeping toward us. Big cold droplets started to fall fast and thick.

      "That's cold!" Draco gasped, lifting me up and running into the house, wind blowing the rain across the porch.

       By the time we got into the house, though it was only a few feet from the steps, we had big wet spots on our pyjamas from the rain. Our hair was damp, and we stood gasping in the little entranceway while the lighting flashed and the rain poured.

      "That sure came on quick!" Draco said with a laugh, trying to keep his voice down. I nodded my head in agreement, glancing out the screen door at the storm outside.

       A loud crack of thunder made me jump away from the door and run toward Draco.

      "It's okay Sev," soothed Draco, "It can't hurt us."

      I suddenly realised how tired I was, and that the sound of the rain was making me sleepy.

      "I suppose we'd better get to bed now," Draco said as he closed the big door over the screen door. He then picked me up and carried me upstairs, flashes of light bleeding into the hall from my open room door.

       He closed the window and curtains, and tucked the covers around me. This time I wasn't hot at all,  for the rain had cooled my hair a little bit.

      "Goodnight Sev," Draco said. A flash of lighting revealed the smile on his face.

      "What if the thunder gets scary?" I whispered to him, trying to keep my eyes open.

      "If the thunder gets scary you can come up into the attic and get me and we'll tell stories to make it less scary," Draco said.

       "Promise?"

      "I promise."

      I grinned real big, showing off the gap where my front teeth were supposed to be. I decided right then that I liked Draco a lot. Draco grinned back, a flash of lighting dancing through my room while rain pounded on the house. As I drifted off to sleep one last thought ran through my mind; the lightning could light up the sky all it wanted, but it would never, ever get me with its thunder. Not with Draco around.

Chapter End Notes:
The chapter was a bit all over the place I must admit, but I rather like it anyway. Please let me know what you think, as reviews rock! Oh yeah, and the next update might up quick like this one because it's February break so I have some free time!