Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 2

Sitting at the kitchen table the next morning Harry simply couldn't keep still. He hadn't felt so well rested in weeks. Not since that summer actually, when Snape had first learned of his nightmares. The dour man, who hadn't seemed overly fond of children, had actually stayed up with him all night on several occasions when he'd been too terrified to go back to sleep.

Unfortunately, one couldn't regularly take the potion Snape had given him last night, or a person risked becoming dependant upon it.

Propping his elbows on the table he wondered if he should go ahead and call a house to bring breakfast. After all Snape and Draco didn't seem to be in a hurry to get up. That wasn't too surprising however, considering the state Harry discovered Draco's bed this morning. The blond boy's bed was rumbled and the covers on the floor, while Draco was nowhere to be found. Harry's concern led him to Snape's room where he found Draco curled up tight against Snape.

Apparently he wasn't the only one that suffered from nightmares.

Harry glanced at the door that led out of Snape's quarters wondering how much more trouble he'd be in if he went down to the kitchens for breakfast. Hearing a door open broke Harry from his thoughts. Looking down the hall he saw Draco emerge from Snape's room. Snape had obviously healed the blond since Draco no longer sported a split lip. Harry mentally winced remembering the events of the day before. This was turning out to be a horrible Christmas Vacation.

Harry watched the blond carefully for any signs of anger as Draco took a seat at the table. Harry knew he should apologize. Snape was right in saying that he knew better than most what it was like to be on the receiving end of unprovoked violence.

"So," Harry began intent on apologizing. "I…um…I'm …do you want to go down to the kitchens with me for breakfast."

Harry winced mentally at his inability to apologize. It was only three little words. Harry tried not to squirm as Draco studied him from across the table.

"I suppose," Draco responded quietly.

A few minutes later found the two twelve year olds leaving the dungeons and walking towards the kitchens.

The walk was quiet and decidingly uncomfortable. Harry had no idea what he should say to break the uncomfortable silence. Listening to the sounds of footsteps tapping against the stone, Harry was oddly startled to hear Draco's soft voice.

"What did I do?"

"Huh?" asked Harry smartly.

"I don't know what I did yesterday. I admit there have been times when I've teased you and stuff, but yesterday we were barely talking. I don't remember saying anything mean to you."

Harry shrugged, "You didn't do anything. I…I don't know why I hit you. I truly don't even remember much of what happened. I was just…I don't know…I hadn't slept in forever and for whatever reason I just…"

"You were cranky? And threw a tantrum?" Draco suggested bitingly.

Harry winced at not so subtly being called a baby, but supposed it was true on some level. "Yeah, something like that."

Draco snorted, but said nothing as they rounded the corner leading to the painting of bowl of fruit with a ticklish pear.

"For whatever its worth, I'm sorry," Harry said trying to sound confident despite his shame.

"I'm sure you'll be a lot sorrier when the professor gets through with you." Draco responded, surprising Harry by not smirking or ribbing him.

"Yeah…" Harry sighed, realizing that future involved scrubbing cauldrons for the rest of the Holidays.

Coming to the painting Harry tickled the pear, mentally thanking Fred and George for revealing this secret to him and Ron. As the door swung open, the two boys were immediately accosted by at least ten house elves all too eager to fill their bellies.

What they weren't expecting to see however was an elderly man wearing an eye patch, missing three fingers on his right hand, and walking with a cane to support the weight his missing left leg couldn't. Without turning around to see them Professor Kettleburn, beckoned them towards the table he was standing over.

"Come on over, boys, there's plenty of food here for all." The Care of Magical Creatures instructor said still not looking at either Harry or Draco.

Harry glanced at Draco before moving towards the table. Care of Magical Creatures was not open to second year students, but Harry had seen the man around Hogwarts and knew of him. To be more precise, he'd actually heard of the rumors regarding Kettleburn's unfortunate loss of limbs. Harry always thought the rumors regarding the loss of his eye were the most fascinating.

"What brings you gentlemen down here for breakfast this morning?" Kettleburn asked popping a piece of fruit in his mouth.

"Professor Snape is still asleep, sir, but we were getting hungry," Draco answered.

"I see." Kettleburn responded. "So, which one of you had the nightmares that kept our dour professor up all night?"

Harry blinked and his mouth dropped open slightly. How could the professor possibly know that? Glancing at Draco who stood to his right he saw his own confusion mirrored on the blonds' face.

"Why do you think one of us had a nightmare, sir?"

"I've worked with animals more many years, gentleman, they don't act that much differently than humans. A frightened cub will always seek comfort from a parent, but only human children will feel shame for seeking out that comfort. And often attempt to prove their independence the next day."

Harry felt himself redden though he didn't think walking to the kitchens without permission was a way of asserting his independence. Glancing at Draco he noticed the red tint to his face as well.

Without waiting for a response Kettleburn continued, "Regardless, the three of you have quite a bit to learn from each other, and I wish you the best of luck on your adventure."

Kettleburn didn't wait for a reply, just wiped his hands on his tattered jacket before turning and limping towards the door.

"I'll just be going now, boys. Be sure to eat a good breakfast, you're going to need the energy."

Harry watched the door close behind the professor before turning to look at Draco, whose look held just as much confusion as Harry was feeling.

"Remind me not to sign up for Care of Magical Creatures unless he retires," Draco said still staring at the door the cryptic man had just exited.

"Agreed," Harry replied before turning back to the table and starting on his breakfast.

SssssssssS

"Where exactly are we going?" Draco asked.

Harry shrugged walking beside Draco through yet another deserted corridor near the top of the castle. "We're exploring, Draco. We're not supposed to know where we're going."

"Right." Draco cast him an uneasy sideways glance, and Harry wondered if it were from fear or if Draco just thought him insane.

Harry sighed, "Let's go up to the astronomy tower then work our way back down. Maybe we'll find a secret passage or something."

Harry glared at Draco when he heard the other boy scoff before replying. "And what do we do when the professor finally wakes up? Hope he doesn't notice we're missing?"

"If you don't want to come, Draco, then go back!" Harry almost yelled tired of his only companion's whining.

Draco rolled his eyes before responding, "You're just trying to avoid the executioner and your impending doom. Admit it."

"Wouldn't you?"

"Yes," Draco responded, "But I wouldn't lie about it to the only person who might be able to save my skin."

"What do you mean?" Asked Harry, giving Draco a sideways look. Giving Draco a nudge with his shoulder he directed them towards the stairs leading up the Astronomy tower.

"I mean, that I might be convinced to tell our beloved guardian that I was the one who insisted we go to the kitchens. That is if you can pay up."

"What sort of payment do you want?" Harry asked suspiciously.

"I'm not sure yet. Let me think about it," Draco responded with a predatory grin.

"Great," sighed Harry, "I'm doomed."

"Not until he catches you."

The boys lapsed into momentary silence as the reached the top of the tower and looked out over the snow covered grounds.

Harry leaned against the railing. The snow blanketed the earth, suffocating the grass, the trees, yet each individual snow flake was harmless on its own. It was their combined force that smothered everything they fell upon. But come spring the snow would melt and the earth would be cleansed, allowing new flowers to blossom and the trees would come back stronger than before, the scars left by the snow only visible beneath their bark.

"Beautiful isn't it?"

A soft voice from behind caused Harry to jump. Turning around quickly, and noting that Draco did the same, he stood facing the Astronomy professor. How she managed to get about two feet behind him and Draco without being heard Harry couldn't say. She'd probably learned it from Snape, they certainly spent enough time together.

"I suppose," shrugged Harry in response.

Professor Sinistra smiled softly at him and Draco before focusing once more on the scenery.

"Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder, gentleman," Sinistra replied. "One could call this my Xanadu. Though, I'm not sure if it counts since it's only good in the winter's snow."

"Xanadu?" questioned Draco, with a confused look at Harry.

Sinistra stepped between the two boys and moved to the railing leaning against it and looking over the icy scene.

"A Xanadu, Mr. Malfoy," the Professor began in a voice that can only be used when instructing students, "is a term that was coined by the muggle poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge in his poem "Kubla Khan". Basically, it's used to describe a beautiful idyllic place. It's a beautiful poem that, I'm sure, you can find in the library. Personally, I believe everyone should have a Xanadu. A place that you can go to that calms you and brings you peace when your world is in chaos. A temporary retreat where a person can sort through their thoughts and emerge ready to take on a dragon, if you will."

"How do you find a Xanadu?" Harry asked curiously, intrigued by the thought of having a place where he could feel completely safe.

"That, Mr. Potter, is the question of ages. You see, everyone's Xanadu is different. Some people may have more than one, while others will spend their lives searching for one." Turning around to face the two boys behind her, Sinistra smiled. "If you two need something to occupy your time with today, why not being your search? I suggest starting in the library."

"Yes, ma'am," Draco replied respectfully.

Sinistra nodded her dismissal, and Harry followed Draco out of the astronomy tower.

SssssssssS

"I had no idea we had a Muggle Authors section." Draco stated, staring up at the tall shelves filled with books all by muggle authors.

"Me either," said Harry in a whisper.

"Now what are you two boys doing in the library on such a nice day?"

Both Harry and Draco turned around sharply, surprised to hear someone not speaking in a whisper in the library. Their surprise was compounded when they realized it was Madam Pince.

"We're looking for a book, Ma'am," Harry answered respectfully, still unable to speak at a normal level. They were in a library after all, and people are simply meant to whisper in libraries.

"Looking for a book? In a library? How peculiar." Pince answered sarcastically, crossing her arms over her chest. "And just what book would that be?"

"Actually," Draco began, "it's a poem, called "Kubla Khan" by Samuel Taylor Coleridge."

"Interesting reading for two twelve-year-olds during the holidays," commented the librarian as she reached over their heads to pluck a book from the shelves.

"Professor Sinistra said we should give it a try," Harry informed the matron.

"Did she?" remarked Pince, handing the old and tattered book over to Harry. "Personally, I can think of a dozen other poems that far more interesting. But, to each their own, I suppose."

"Thank you, Ma'am," Draco said politely, taking the book from Harry.

"You're welcome, gentlemen," Pince replied with a rare smile before turning and leaving Draco and Harry with the book.

Finding a seat at a nearby table Harry watched Draco use the index to find the poem they were looking for. Finding the poem they read it to themselves before leaning back in the chairs, staring at the still opened book.

"So, "began Draco, his feet swinging back and forth across the floor. "How exactly do we find that?"

Harry glanced up from the book with grin. "Easy. We look for it."