Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 4

Harry winced as another cupboard door was slammed closed. After being ordered inside and walking to the Potions Master's quarters, Harry was a bundle of nerves. He was practically shaking when Snape had directed both him and Draco to the kitchen and told them to sit while he made them lunch. Neither Harry nor Draco had dared speak and aside from Snape's incomprehensible growl and clanging the room was quiet causing Harry's anxiety to grow. Draco was sitting across from him at the table, staring down at his hands, jumping occasionally when something would slam particularly loud. Snape seemed to be heating their lunch as quickly as possible, but Harry figured it would go faster if Snape stopped banging things around so much.

The silence and banging stretched on for several more minutes before Snape sat two bowls of soup down in front of Harry and Draco.

"Eat," commanded Snape, his anger still palpable.

Harry slowly reached for his spoon watching every move Snape was making. Even Draco was watching their guardian nervously, Harry noticed. Glancing across the table Harry's eyes met Draco's, to Harry it was obvious that Draco was as terrified as he was. The older boy's hands were shaking and his shoulders tense. Bring the spoon to his mouth, Harry slowly began to eat the chicken and rice soup Snape had prepared for him and Draco.

Snape was now pacing around the kitchen. The man's stride was agitated, the clicking of his boots on the stone not unlike claws scratching at the ground. His heaving chest ready to bust open releasing the raging inferno that was barely contained.

Harry nearly cried in relief when the ward on the door chimed to let Snape know someone wished to be admitted into his quarters.

Snape stopped in his tracks, a sneer overtaking his features as he stomped towards the door. Jerking it open he roared at the person on the other side of the door, "What!"

"Honestly, Severus," Professor Sinistra said, sounding bored as she walked past him and into the sitting room, "didn't anyone ever teach you how to answer a door?"

"What do you want, Aurora?" Snape asked, still standing by the open door, a clear invitation to leave.

"I just came down to see how my two adventurers did today," Aurora said off handedly, walking towards Harry and Draco.

Harry couldn't help but return the smile the Astronomy professor favored him with as she took a seat at the table with them.

"So, gentlemen, did you find the poem?"

"Poem?" Snape asked moving away from the now closed door to stand beside the table.

"I told them to find a poem in the library, Severus," Aurora informed him, "I'm curious if they succeeded."

"Yes Ma'am," Draco said, standing from the table long enough to retrieve the book from the pocket of his robes.

"Very good, boys," Sinistra began flipping through the pages in search of the poem. "Ah! Here it is!"

Taking the book from her Snape began reading the poem, still not taking a seat at the table.

"You really do need to work on your manners, Severus," Aurora said, looking at her now empty hands.

"And you need to learn to mind your own damn business."

Aurora rolled her eyes, "Actually, Severus, I do need to speak to you for a moment."

"Just a minute," Snape said quietly as he read the poem. Once finished he closed the book and held it up for Harry and Draco to see. "If you were sent to find this poem in the library why were you outside?"

"It's a rather long story, Sir," Draco said quietly, giving Snape an uneasy look as though expecting him to explode at any moment.

Snape's eyes narrowed and Harry was sure he and Draco were going to be the latest ingredients mounted on the walls of Snape's office.

"Severus," Aurora said quietly but commandingly.

Harry watched transfixed as Snape lowered the book, placing it on the table. The professor seemed to be studying Harry and Draco for the first time since he'd found them playing in the snow. The burning embers of rage in the man's eyes died and his harsh breathing gave way to deep calming breaths. Somehow that single word coming from the Astronomy professor's lips was like pouring water on an inferno.

Snape tore his gaze away from Harry and Draco to look calmly at the professor. "You wished to speak privately, Aurora?"

Sinistra quietly stood from the table and taking Snape's hand led him in the direction of his bedroom.

Once the two professors vanished and he heard a door close Harry turned to Draco.

"You don't think they…you know…"

"Know what?" Draco asked, oblivious to what Harry was implying.

"That they're…like…together."

"Harry," Draco said calmly taking another bit of soup.

"What?"

"You're a complete moron," Draco answered matter-of-factly, while continuing to eat lunch.

Harry glared, but said nothing choosing, instead, to finish his lunch.

It wasn't until after Harry and Draco had finished their lunch and cleared the table that Snape and Sinistra reappeared.

"Behave yourselves, gentlemen," the Astronomy professor said with a smile and a wink as she walked past Harry and Draco. "I'll see you tonight at dinner."

"We're going to the Great Hall for dinner?" Draco asked, after Sinistra left the Potion Master's rooms. Since the start of the holidays the three of them had always eaten supper alone in the professor's quarters.

"No," Snape answered, quietly. A large portion of the professors' anger seemed to have evaporated. The man's breathing was back to normal and his eyes were once again pools of deep obsidian. "Come with me, there's something I'd like to show you."

"Yes, sir," Harry and Draco both responded.

Snape nodded, watching them as the stood from the table. "Grab your coats."

Giving his guardian a confused look Harry quickly put on his coat before following the professor out the door.

SssssssssS

The cracked and weathered stone wall stood forgotten, its war was fought and spent, and the years eroded away its former purpose. Each lost bit of stone a battle scar. Every piece that dropped leaving it like an old man after a stroke, bits of him useless, broken, forever flawed and without a counteraction. Flawed, but still good. Useless, by the standards for which it was built, but still wanted in its own right. A stilled hand, a blind eye, but too familiar to throw away.

The battle had been lost. The unkempt vines growing up and over, into and out of, the missing places only an intricate disguise to hid the wounds. Yet even in its age, it was obvious: This was a wall of which its duty had been outlined and despite defeat, it still stood tall against the elements, sacrificing itself for a reason that had crumbled long ago. That was its mission, to stay where it belonged, where it was put, and it took those orders stoically. It was despondently beautiful. And though still standing erect and tall, come spring the daffodils and bluebells will overtake the field once more.

Though snow drowned the greenery all around and the trees were heavy and white with frost, the small stream still ran by moving onwards. It splashed against the stone as it pushed by picking away at the scars and weathering them down to the earth. It pushed its way through the forest, over rocks and under tree limbs. Growing some places like a leaky faucet and expanding into rapids further toward the ocean, where it would empty itself out in the sea. The pieces of stone from the ancient wall no more than specks of dust upon the deep blue waves.

"I suppose, gentlemen," Snape spoke quietly for the first time since they'd left his quarters, "one might call this my Xanadu."

Walking to a spot where the elements had carved a bench into the ancient wall, Snape took a seat surveying the landscape. Harry followed, sitting next to the professor.

Snape waited for Draco to sit down as well before taking a deep breath and speaking, "I thought it would be a good idea if I brought the two of you out here for a bit today. I'm sure we could all use the respite."

"It's beautiful," commented Draco.

Snape nodded, "Aurora showed me this place not long ago."

Silence overtook them for a few minutes, each one lost in their own thoughts. No animals could be heard, but the stream continued to run by despite the iciness in the air.

Harry was the first to speak. "I'm sorry I ran off today, Sir. I just…needed to get out, I guess. And Draco wouldn't have come if it weren't for me, so-"

"Harry," Snape interrupted gently, "we are all responsible for our own decisions. You didn't force Draco to come with you this morning. He chose to go with you. Correct, Draco?"

"Yes, sir," the blond nodded. "I could've said that I didn't want to go."

"Very good, Draco," Snape said placing an arm around the boy's shoulders drawing him just the slightest bit closer.

Harry couldn't help the small stab of jealously that he felt at Snape's actions, though he knew he shouldn't be surprised. Of course the Slytherin boy would be Snape's favorite, he'd known Snape longer and was his godson.

"Wipe that look off your face, Harry, and slide over here," Snape told him, a smile tugging at his lips. Taking a hold of Harry's upper arm he pulled the unresisting boy closer until he could drape an arm around Harry's shoulders as well.

Harry laughed as he was pulled over the cold stone and into the professor's side.

Harry heard Snape sigh as the man pulled him in closer before speaking. "I believe I owe you both an apology as well. I've been letting my temper get the best of me, and while I can't say it won't ever happen again, I promise to at least listen before jumping down your throats."

"Does that mean we aren't in trouble?" Harry asked turning his head to smile up at his guardian.

Snape snorted before giving Harry a small smile, "You'll have to wait until we're back at the castle to find out. This is a Xanadu after all…a utopia, if you will, and one doesn't discuss the punishments of wayward boys in a utopia."

Harry gave an exaggerated sigh deciding his guardian was far to amused.

"However," Snape began, "there is something else I wanted to discuss with you. Harry, I realize you haven't lived with me as long as Draco, so if you wish to wait I understand. I still wish to give both of you the same offer, though. If you both are agreeable I'd like to formally adopt you."

"But," Harry said even as he watched Draco throw himself into the professor's arms "you're already our guardian, aren't you?"

"Yes," Snape answered, holding Draco close as the blond clung to him like a lifeline, "and I will remain your guardian for as long as the situation is acceptable. An adoption is merely more permanent relationship. To simplify it, if I adopt you, I'll be your father in every way except by blood."

"Oh," Harry said simply.

"You don't have to decide now, Harry," Snape continued, as Draco finally released his grip and sat down by the professor with a huge grin on his face. "In fact, you don't even have to accept."

Now that Draco was out of the way Harry took the opportunity to throw himself at the professor nearly knocking the man off balance.

Snape chuckled as his arms wrapped around Harry, "I take it that means you accept."

Harry nodded into Snape's shoulder. It didn't matter that he was still in trouble or that Snape had lost his temper. It didn't matter that his family wasn't perfect. What mattered was that he had a family now.

Releasing the hold on his professor Harry sat down on the bench once more leaning forward to talk to Draco over Snape. "Now all we have to do, Draco, is get him to propose to Sinistra and we'll have a mum, too."

"What!" Snape screeched his mouth hanging open surprise, before a feral grin came over his features. "You little brat!"

Before Harry could move Snape lunged towards him tickling him to the ground.

"Stop! Stop!" Harry yelled between laughs trying to squirm away from Snape. Finally breaking away from the Potions Master Harry jumped up on the makeshift stone bench and quickly climbed up to the highest point of the wall, which was not more than six feet high.

Laughing Snape stood, snow clinging to his black robes. "Alright boys, its time to go back to the castle. It'll be getting dark soon."

"Yes, sir," Draco said, standing and moving to the Potions Master's side.

Standing on top of the wall Harry was still grinning even though he knew once they got back Snape would have him scrubbing the dungeons with a toothbrush for most of the holidays.

"Come on, Harry," Snape said patiently, a hand resting on Draco's shoulder.

Grinning mischievously Harry couldn't resist teasing his soon to be adopted father.

"Yes, dad," Harry said before leaping off the stone wall.

The End.
Chapter End Notes:
This story was written for Lady Lanera (aka my Soul Sister) in response to her request for the Fic Exchange. It is also in response to her challenge Xanadu.

Enjoy Lan! :D

The term Xanadu comes from Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem "Kubla Khan".

I'd like to thank SnapesWidow for beta'ing this for me and all the 'litterboxers' that I bounced ideas off of. Thanks guys! You're amazing!