Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Truth about Snuffles

Well, perhaps next time I give the boy some sort of warning before I stun his mutt. He is clearly still upset with me for doing so. However, it is the truth. Dogs do not travel well by Floo. I have the scars to prove it, too, from my one encounter with Eb. And Harry's mutt has bit me once before. I mean, what am I supposed to do? Talk to the mutt and explain my every action to it? I don't even do that for Eb, and she's been living with me for twelve years.

"I apologize, Harry," I say for the hundredth time it seems.

"He didn't mean to bite you," Harry argues.

"No, he likely did. He deemed me to be a threat and was trying to protect you," I counter. "I apologize for stunning your dog. Now, will you please sit?"

"Why can't we be in there? Mrs. Figg always was allowed in there where her cats were being checked over. What is your guy doing to him?"

"Sit down," I firmly say, staring at my child. He is clearly making the receptionist nervous. I then incline my head gratefully when he follows my instruction. "I asked Norm to check the dog out completely." I then draw in a breath, preparing myself for the childish outburst that is sure to come from my son. "And if Snuffles has not been fixed, then that I wished him to be," I respond.

"Fixed? Is something wrong with him?"

"I asked Norm to neuter him, Harry," I clarify. I watch the boy's eyes widen in shock.

"That man is cutting off my dog's j—"

"Yes," I interrupt. "Clearly, you are aware that males, especially male dogs, will try to—"

"Well, then spay Eb so she doesn't have puppies," he angrily retorts.

"She is," I respond. "However, the desire to procreate is likely in your dog's mind. And unlike you, I do not wish to walk into the sitting room one day and find Snuffles and Eb together." I notice his look of disgust before he turns away.

"Is it going to hurt Snuffles?"

"He'll likely be unconscious throughout the entire procedure," I answer.

"Why didn't you ask me? He's my dog."

"And I am the adult responsible for both you and Snuffles," I point out. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Norm approaching the waiting room door. "It would appear that Snuffles is finished," I say, standing noticing Harry follow suit.

"Ah, Severus, I, well, perhaps you and young Harry could come with me for a moment."

"Is something wrong with Snuffles?" Harry asks, noticing the pained expression on Norm's face.

"You could say that, Harry," Norm replies, tugging on his collar nervously.

I say nothing as we walk towards the operating room. When the door opens and I see the person on the table that Snuffles should be on, I glance towards Norm. Drawing my own wand, I join the others, pointing their wands at the man.

"I take it you've alerted the Aurors?" I ask, not taking my eyes off the man on the table.

"Who is that? Where's Snuffles?"

"That is Snuffles, Harry," I respond. "He's unconscious?"

"Oh, yes, when I realized that I was not dealing with a dog, I increased the dosage. He should be out for at least an hour."

"Who is that, sir?" Harry asks, glancing at the man before looking back at me.

"Sirius Black," I answer. "He was one of your father's friends. He murdered thirteen individuals, including another of your father's friends. He claimed that he was innocent," I say with a sneer. I desperately wish to murder this man, but not in front of Harry. So I hold back that tendency. "You can wake him, correct, Norm?"

"I could, but why would I, Severus? I mean, this is the notorious Sirius Black."

"I wish to know his reasoning," I answer.

"His reasoning for what?" asks Harry beside me.

"This man betrayed your parents, young Harry," Norm responds. "Well, so the story goes at least. No one really is certain if that is the truth anymore."

"What?" he says breathlessly. "Why?"

"That's what I would like to know." I then glance towards Harry. "He's been with you for a week, and he hasn't harmed you?"

"No, he just acted like any other old dog," Harry replies.

"Then it isn't you that he wants," I respond before sighing.

"What?"

"Harry, go into the other room with the others." I nearly sigh when the boy grabs my robes. "I won't," I answer in response to his unspoken question. I watch Harry nod slowly before following the others out of the room. "How long did the Aurors say they would be?"

"At least a half-hour," Norm responds quietly. "Do you want me to leave, too, Severus?"

"No." I then glance towards the mediwizard. I've known him since saving his life fourteen years earlier. I can still remember that day, begging the Dark Lord for the right to kill the blood traitor that stands before me. I can also remember helping the man escape by dosing him with an extra strength Sleeping Draught, leaving him in front of a Muggle hospital. "I want you to wake him."

After giving Norm my 'no, I'm not joking' look, I watch the man slowly counteract the general anesthesia. Keeping my wand trained on Sirius, I wait as he slowly regains consciousness. I can only imagine how this encounter is going to go. I then notice that Norm has his wand on Sirius too.

"Where … where am I?"

"You are in a veterinarian clinic," I drawl, nearly chuckling when the man tenses. "You see, Snuffles," I hiss, "I brought you here to be neutered." Sirius pales slightly. "Oh, don't worry, Black. You can't neuter an Animagus. Well, I suppose one could, but it'd be quite painful."

"Go to hell, Snape," snarls the crazed looking man.

"After you, Black," I hiss. "Just tell me why, though? Why would you betray your best friend?"

"I didn't betray James," he growls, glaring at me.

"You weren't their Secret Keeper then?"

"We changed it, thinking that rat Pettigrew wouldn't betray them," he answers, clearly upset.

"That's why you killed him? Because he allegedly—"

"He did, Snape! He betrayed them to that bastard you serve! But the rat was clever, you see," Sirius says, chuckling darkly. "He ran into an alleyway and faked his death, cutting off his finger so everyone would think I did it."

I stare at Black for a few moments. Azkaban clearly had done wonders for his sanity. However, he seems as if he's being honest. I then sigh. There are only a few ways to know for certain if he is telling the truth. I glance towards Norm before glancing back.

"So you're claiming that Pettigrew was the Secret Keeper and that he betrayed James to the Dark Lord?" Black glares but nods. "And that you are innocent in the deaths of the Muggles and that Pettigrew is still alive?" Again, he nods. "You'd understand of course if I wished to see for myself?"

"Go ahead, Snape! I'm telling the truth."

I nearly scoff in disbelief. I cannot believe that I want to do this. I mean, this man has attempted to murder me before. And here I am, wishing to enter his mind and view his memories. Though, I do owe a life debt to Potter, even if I still believe he only saved me to save his own skin.

Drawing in a breath, I enter Black's mind. The chaos that greets me nearly throws me for a moment before it settles, giving me some form of order. I find the desired memories and watch them. Sure enough, the son of a bitch is telling the truth about everything. I pull out of his mind and sigh.

"Dammit," I growl under my breath.

"See, Snape?"

"So I see," I reply. So much for my revenge, I think. "No doubt you overheard the news."

"About Harry?" he asks, glancing warily towards Norm. "James told Remus and me about that a long time ago. You see, Moony could smell you on him, and James knew that. I should care. Hell, I should break your damn nose again. But I can't. For one, I promised James that I wouldn't. For two, you're at least treating Harry better than those damn Muggles."

The door then opens behind us, and a group of Aurors enter the room. I glance towards the tall, bald Auror and sigh. Why must it always be me that these things happen to?

"Kingsley, a moment please," I say, motioning him away from the others. "He didn't do it."

"What?" the Auror says shocked.

"Black, he didn't kill Pettigrew."

"How do you know this, Severus?"

Wisely keeping my mouth shut, I just stare at the Auror. I can tell this is only upsetting the man. However, it's not as if I can go and tell him that I used Legilimency on Black. I'd be locked up quicker than Trelawney downs a bottle of sherry.

"Give him a dose of Veritaserum, Kingsley. You'll see he's telling the truth." I then glance at Black. "You will take it, won't you?" I sneer.

"Of course I will," he growls.

"You do realize that once this gets out, the Minister will want some answers."

"And you'll get them from Black, Kingsley," I reply. "Now, get him out of my sight."

"I'm not going back to Azkaban," Black growls.

"You're not. We're taking you somewhere else first," Kingsley responds, frowning. He then nods his head towards the others. "Thank you, Severus," he says as they escort Black, who is thankfully dressed now, out of the room.

I wave away the man's gratitude. I am quite satisfied that idiot Black has not thanked me either. It makes this whole fiasco less heartening that he hasn't. After all, I am not going to like the man ever. One does not tend to enjoy the company of his would-be killer. Even if the man isn't guilty in betraying Lily, he foolishly is guilty of attempting to settle the score against the man who has betrayed them.

Walking out of the room, I glance at Norm who only sighs and shakes his head. We've been through some things together. I know I can trust the man to remain quiet so certain people do not learn of this fiasco. Without saying another word, I leave and head over to my son.

"Sorry about Snuffles," I say for the lack of anything better. Harry doesn't respond. "No doubt you're hungry." He shrugs. "Well, I cooked some beef stew and rice for us. Do you enjoy that?"

"Can we just go home now?" he says quietly.

"Yes, Harry, we can go home." I then gently place a hand on his shoulder and apparate us home.