Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

There is some profanity used, but not much. No one is corporally punished, but almost is, so I put it int he warning to be safe. I rated it K+ because of the use of language. I put the "violence" warning because there is a bit of pushing and shoving in the first chapter.

 Please rate and review. Be as critical as possible. This is my first time writing for something to be reviewed. I must say (as a fair warning) I wrote this in less than 24 hours and probably could have tried harder.

Chapter 1

“What Albus?” Professor Severus Snape, potions master of Hogwarts school for witchcraft and wizardry snapped. The carefree headmaster had interrupted him once more late at night. Severus was sure it was for some trivial reason.

Albus Dumbledore was standing in the doorway of Professor Snape's office

“Severus dear boy, I need you to help me with something.” said Dumbledore, a smile in his gentle voice.

“Albus...” Severus began, he really disliked being addressed as a child.

“Oh Severus it will take no longer than a few moments, come come.” Albus stepped back through the open door and motioned for Severus to come with him. Severus sighed heavily and reluctantly got up and followed the headmaster out of his office.

The two walked silently through the corridors and up a flight of stairs out of the dungeons of which Severus preferred to teach. Once the pair reached the first floor, Severus proceeded to the grand staircase, towards Dumbledore's office.

“Oh no Severus, what I need help with is not in my office” Albus gave a twinkling winner smile and led Severus straight pass the stair case, the entrance hall, and the opening of the Great hall. They walked down another dark corridor and stopped outside of room 1C. Albus charmed the lock and pushed the door open, stepping back, allowing Severus to walk in first. Once in the room, Severus eyed Albus impatiently, still annoyed that Albus would interrupt him in his office for something he was sure Filch could handle. Albus turned on the torches around the room with a flick of his wand and Severus' gasp of surprise wiped any type of impatience he had with the headmaster completely away. Was he really looking at it? THE Mirror of Erised. It was certainly as grand as he heard it was. “C-Can-I?” he stammered dumbly as he started towards the mirror unconsciously.

“Yes, I daresay you may Severus.” Albus had such a seriousness in his voice as he said this that Severus stopped for a moment to stare at the old man. What could he know? Was their a chance that he knew what Severus' deepest desires were without Severus, himself knowing?

“Go on” Albus said sharply, almost demanding.

“What do you know Albus?” asked Severus, bravado leaving him almost completely. What could he be about to see in this mirror that would have Albus act so serious?

“I know many things dear boy” sighed Albus. And he began to hum, to show Severus that he welcomed no more questions.

Severus rolled his eyes. Albus could be frustrating when he wanted to. He took a deep calming breath, hoping Albus didn't notice his courage leaving him and took a large step towards the mirror.

“Her!” shrieked Snape, his stony demeanor fading instantly. He pointed towards the mirror shakily, amazed to see Lily Potter, his first true love. But, she was not alone, he was with her. Severus let a smile penetrate his surprised face, He and Lily Potter, the way it should have been. He looked up and started to glance down, wanting to take in the full picture of he and Lily as a couple --when he saw him.

Harry James Potter. “HIM!” yelled Severus, a dangerous tone to his voice. The son of the man he hated was poisining his special moment with Lily. “Why?” said Severus, a hint of sadness in his voice. Why!” he begged again, his face now contorted with rage and torture. Why was the Potter boy everywhere he looked? Why could he not enjoy this one precious moment with Lily, without the Potter boy.

“Severus” said Albus in a stern, but understanding voice. “Severus, I know what you are feeling for Harry, I know you hate him, but this mirror does not lie. It does not lie Severus.”

Whether Severus believed Albus or not was not apparent, as Severus stalked right pass the old man and slammed the door to room 1C as hard as possible.

***

Back in his dungeons, Severus paced his office, back and forth. He had loved Lily and wanted a family with her of course, but not Harry! Not James Potter's arrogant, self centered, ill behaved, attention seeking brat! Severus stopped mid step and decided to turn back towards his door. He left his office for his quarters. He would just get a good night's rest and everything would be clear tomorrow.