Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 4

“Come on Ron, let's get this over with.” sighed Harry. He, Ron and Hermione were sitting in the Gryffindor common room doing homework. They had a particularly nasty History of Magic esssay on giant wars in the South before they could start on Snape's 2 foot long(or 3 foot, for Harry) essay. They had come up from dinner two hours ago and were just finishing the History or Magic essay.

“Yea.” agreed Ron.

Harry's stomach had been churning all day by what Snape said as he left the room earlier. What could he have meant? What ever it was, he knew he deserved it, he was angry with himself for the pain he had caused Snape. When he told Hermione and Ron this, they didn't seem to worried by Snapes threat, but why should they? It was Harry that was in for it.

Harry dragged himself up and through the portrait hole. No sense in being late for this detention, he was already in enough trouble.

He and Ron made their way to the dungeons, and to Snape's class room. When they arrived, they saw that 4 other students were also in the classroom waiting for Snape to come and instruct them on what to do for the next couple of hours. The students stood around looking pitifully at one another for five minutes when a disgruntled Snape stalked in. “Brown, Slever---Toilets first and second floor.” “Sanders, Walden-----floors, classrooms 1A through 1L.” Snape said these commands quickly with a snappish impatient air to his words, but when he came to Harry and Ron, he smiled darkly. It would be fun handing them their detention. “Potter and Weasley, I have something special for you.” He looked at Ron first “Weasley, because you think its fun to run in the hallways, you will do just that for this detention. Begin now, running in place. Have fun” Ron looked stunned. All he would have to do for this detention was run? He cracked a smile. Simple.

“You seem to think you will enjoy yourself Weasley” said Snape with an air of someone who knew more than he was letting on. “Uhm, no sir” said Ron innocently and began running in place. Snape then set his eyes on Harry. “Potter, because you cannot control your mouth, and you find it ok to throw tantrums like a four year old, you will be punished like one.” Harry took an involuntary step back. What did Snape think up? Snape smirked “Potter, to that corner. You will spend your detention in that corner. Maybe you will learn to control yourself.” Snape pointed to a corner in the back of the room. Harry could not believe it. What was Snape playing at? What type of detention was this? Ron having to run and he standing in a corner? Snape was going mental. “Corner Potter!” Snape yelled, still pointing. Harry walked over to the corner, feeling silly. “Nose to the wall Potter.” Harry, feeling even more stupid put his nose to the wall.


***


“Come.” Harry sighed in relief when he heard Snape's voice behind him, beckoning him to leave the corner and Ron to stop running. Harry turned stifly and saw Ron drop to the floor. “Up Weasley” he heard Snape say softly. He couldn't focus too much on Ron's struggle because he too was exhausted and could barely move his feet. He had been standing in the corner for a full 3 hours. His legs and back ached, He was tired and it felt like the whole bottom portion of his body had fallen asleep. He walked over to Ron slowly and helped pull his mate up off the floor even though he was tired too. He and Ron struggled to the first chairs they saw and collasped into them. Snape looked like he was going to tell them to get up, but thought better of it. Instead he gave one of his famous smirks.

Harry and Ron stared at Snape expecantly. Surely they wouldn't be allowed to simply leave after such a treachurous detention. Harry chanced a weary glance at Ron. Poor Ron was red, flushed and breathing fast. He didn't run the full three hours, because it was inhuman, but every time he took a break Snape would bring over a replenishing potion and make him start again. He could barely sit up in his seat. Harry thought longingly about his warm bed in Gryffindor tower, though he could do without the painful climb up. Before he could think too far into the future however, he remembered that HE would have to go back to Snapes office. Snape seemed to be thinking along the same lines.

“Mr. Weasley, you may leave. When you come back for your next two detentions, I expect you to start running straightaway. Dismissed!”

Ron gave a tired nod, too exhausted to give a “yes sir.” He tried to get up, but sat back down looking at Snape, pleading for him to let him rest a bit more before making the long trip up to the common room.

“Here Weasley.” Snape grabbed a small bottle and crossed the room to Ron in a few easy strides. Ron drank the potion and immediately sat up in his seat. He wasn't feeling as tired any more.

“I am sure you are capable of walking. Go to your dorm.” “Oh, and Weasley?” Snape smirked. “Please walk.” Snape had that stupid smirk on his face again. Leave it to Snape to kick you when you were down. Harry wanted to say something to Snape about his rudeness to Ron, or about his cruel methods of punishment, but Ron had gotten up and walked out and Snape's attention was fully on him now. He took a deep breath and tried to remember that whatever punishment Snape had concocted to show him to “respect his professors”---he deserved. Because, despite Snapes evil nature, he had been in true pain from words Harry had spoken. He deserved this—whatever it was.

“To my office Potter. Touch nothing.”