Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
During a trip to Diagon Alley, Harry meets someone unexpected
Meeting at Madam Malkin's

A few days after the swimming frolic, Severus and Lily discussed bringing Harry to Diagon Alley to acquire a wand. Even though Harry would not be attending Hogwarts due to his uncontrollable stormcaller ability, Lily thought it a good idea to get him a wand, just like every other student at Hogwarts. Harry's stormcaller ability was special, but he still had his share of ordinary magic and needed to learn how to control it. Having a wand was a must.

"I agree, Lily," Severus said, they were out on the front porch, enjoying the cool morning breeze. Lily was sitting on the stairs and Severus leaning against the porch railing. "He'll also need some standard texts and his own cauldron and potion making kit as well, if we're going to tutor him at home. I can manage the potions, Herbology, and Astronomy classes. Will you be able to tutor him in the rest?"

"Definitely in Charms and Defense, those were my areas of expertise at school. I can probably manage Transfiguration as well. But I was absolute pants at History of Magic, seeing as I could never keep my eyes open," she admitted with a rueful smile.

"Hmm. I say we do a combination of History of Magic and History of Hogwarts, and I'm sure together we can teach Harry and Theo without making them comatose," Severus chuckled. "One of Binns' major problems was he rattled off lists and lists of dry facts and information and never bothered to connect them to any actual historical events and people. So it bored us all to tears. What we need to do is take those facts and make them interesting, so this way it's easy to remember and relate to."

"Great idea, Sev!" Lily beamed at him. "Together we make a good team. I just hope that we can get Harry's stormcaller abilities under wraps. I worry all the time . . . what if he totally loses it . . . I couldn't bear to have to . . . hurt my son if he starts . . ." she trailed off, her eyes dark with trepidation.

"I know." Severus said very softly. "But we will do our best to make sure that doesn't happen. If we can teach him mental and emotional discipline, and to think before he acts . . . we'll have a chance at helping him control this talent. I don't think any of the others ever were given a chance to do that. They were just feared and hated and that kind of alienation is enough to drive a sane wizard mad, let alone a stormcaller. And they also believed that as a stormcaller, they were doomed to go mad. So it was almost a self-fulfilling prophecy."

"You're right. At least we've spared him that much. It's something."

"A very important something." Severus stressed. "Confidence is half the battle."

"Ah, Sev. Thank Merlin you're here for me." Lily said quietly.

"Where else would I be?"

"The question is . . . where would I be, where would Harry be, without you?" she queried. "Even though as James' widow, I have access to his vault, both Potter Manor and the cottage at Godric's Hollow are gone. The manor was sold to help the war effort and Godric's Hollow destroyed. We'd be living out of suitcases in the Leaky Cauldron if not for you."

"Not if I had anything to say about it." He reminded her.

She gazed up at him, her eyes moist. "See, that's what I mean. Even after all I've done, all this time, you're still willing to help me out."

"Always, Lily. I thought you knew that," He gently reached down to wipe away the tears with his fingertip.

"I do now. Sev, I really don't deserve you. Not after I hurt you by refusing to accept your apology. Not after I pushed you away . . ."

Suddenly he was by her side, one finger covering her lips. "Hush. What's done is done, now let it go, Lily. That was the past, long ago and far away. A lifetime away. Here and now is what matters. All that matters."

She blinked back more tears. "You forgive me then? Just like that?"

He smiled at her. "We all make mistakes, Lily. Some big, some small. I'm the last person to ever judge you. Today is a new day, with no mistakes in it. Make the most of it." He gently removed his finger and skimmed her cheek, tracing the curve of her face.

"I intend to," she murmured, then she tilted her head up and kissed him. It was not a long kiss, but nevertheless it sent a jolt through them like chained lightning. She pulled back with a gasp. "Oh, Merlin! Severus, I . . . I'm sorry . . ."

"For what? I've been waiting ten years for that," he whispered.

"You . . . have?" her mouth was an "O" of surprise. She longed to kiss him again, a true kiss this time.

Before he could respond to her unspoken desire, Harry stuck his head out the door and called, "Mum, Severus, are you ready to go to Diagon Alley now?"

His obvious impatience drew chuckles from both of them, and Severus stood up, holding his hand out to Lily.

Lily allowed him to help her up, though her legs were growing stronger every day, sometimes they still felt weak and wobbly, but she refused to use a cane. "In a bit, Harry." Her head was spinning. She had actually kissed Severus. They had kissed before, decades ago, when they were both young and innocent. But this . . . this was no innocent peck on the lips, but a real kiss, one that ignited a fire in her she had thought forever lost. She couldn't ever remember feeling like this before, not even on her wedding night. James had been the more experienced partner, she had always let him lead. But with Severus she felt bold, daring, and totally and completely filled with a yearning for him. If Harry had not come out then, who knows what might have happened?

She hid a slightly wicked grin, then prayed she hadn't been too forward. She recalled what he had said about waiting ten years to kiss her and felt a surge of heat suffuse her. Could it be he had waited and saved himself for her? She felt both humbled and awed by his devotion. No other man would have had the discipline and will to do that save Severus.

Just then Theo came out on the porch, putting an end to her musing. "Severus, can I come too?"

Severus hesitated. Theo almost never came with him on his trips into the wizarding world, he didn't like being stared and and pitied, or worse, sneered at for being a crippled Squib. "Theo, we're only going to get Harry some books, robes, and a wand for school. Are you certain you wish to come?"

Theo nodded. "I'd rather come with you than stay home."

"All right. But you stay close when we're there, no dragging Harry off to Quality Quidditch Supplies or the sweet shop, agreed?"

"Yes, sir." Theo agreed, knowing full well that once they were done purchasing necessary things, Severus would let them browse both shops.

They used the Floo to get to Diagon Alley. It was Harry's first time using one, and he wasn't at all sure if he liked it. Soot went up his nose and made him cough and got all over his glasses. He tripped coming out of the fireplace in The Leaky Cauldron too and barked his shins on the hearth also. Severus helped him up.

"Harry, you all right?" Theo asked.

Lily cast a quick Neaten Up Charm over them and Harry's clothes and glasses were free of soot. "Harry, are you hurt?"

"No, not really. I just scraped my knee."

She touched his knee with her wand and the scrape was healed.

Harry smiled. "Cool! I want to learn how to do that, Mum."

"You will." Lily assured him.

Hardly anyone was in the pub at this hour of the morning, so Severus, Lily, and the children were able to avoid any attempt by fame-seeking patrons searching for an autograph. They bid goodbye to Tom the barkeep and hurried outside. It was a lovely morning, fair and cloudless, with a soft westerly wind.

Harry looked about curiously, noting all the various shops and men, women, and children in all sorts of robes, with trousers or denims beneath them and shirts of all kinds as well. Some looked like they had stepped out of the pages of King Arthur and the Knights of the Roundtable, others as if they had come out of Harrod's.

"Where shall we go first? Ollivander's? Or would you rather stop at Flourish and Blotts first?" asked Severus.

"Ollivander's!" the boys shouted.

"Now, Sev, what did you think they would say?" Lily teased.

He rolled his eyes and forbore to comment. Then he led the way down the street.

Harry couldn't help rubbernecking a little, there were so many quaint looking shops with the strangest signs and displays in the windows. He passed a shop that sold cauldrons, and had a cauldron stirring itself in the front window. He saw a large ice cream parlor with a brightly colored awning of yellow, green, pink, and purple, and in the window was a giant ice cream cone that changed flavors every minute. He licked his lips and hoped his mum and Healer Snape could be persuaded to stop back there after they'd gotten everything. He was partial to chocolate and peanut butter swirled ice cream.

"Fortescue's makes the best ice cream," Theo said, looking at the shop wistfully.

"What's your favorite flavor?"

"Umm . . . well, I like two. One is strawberry peanut butter and the other is apple treacle pudding." Theo replied. "How about you?"

Harry told him. "But that last one sounds delicious. I never knew about that kind."

"It's one they only make here and only around autumn." Theo replied. He caught up to Severus and tapped him on the arm. "Severus, can we stop at Fortescue's after Ollivander's?"

Severus peered down at his ward. "How about after Flourish and Blotts?"

"All right. Thanks!" Theo dropped back to tell Harry.

Lily smiled at his enthusiasm. "Remember those days, Sev?"

"Yes. Do you still enjoy strawberry shortcake ice cream?"

"Yes, I think so. And you . . . do you still prefer caramel walnut?"

He nodded. "I cannot believe you remembered that."

"Why? You remembered mine. Besides, we used to eat ice cream all the time over the summer at McQuade's." She said, naming an old Muggle ice cream shoppe in their town.

Severus smiled slightly, recalling those days, before the Marauders had come into their lives, when it had been just Lily and him, and prissy critical Petunia had been the bane of their existence.

They reached the wand shop, with the sign that read Makers of Fine Wands since 382 BC. The shop didn't look like much, Harry was disappointed to see only a single wand on display, resting upon a purple cushion. But inside the shop were hundreds of boxes, from floor to ceiling, and a tall white-haired man behind the counter.

"Ah. Lily Potter. I sold you a willow wand, 10 and ¼ inches, swishy." Ollivander said.

"That's right," she said, only recalling then that Ollivander knew the owner of every wand he had ever made.

The wandmaker turned his eyes on Severus. "Severus Snape. Ebony, 13 inches, serpent scale core, good for healing and protection."

"Correct. We're here for a wand for—"

"Young Harry," Ollivander finished. He peered at the young stormcaller through his spectacles. "Let's try this one. Hazelwood, 10 inches, dragon heartstring core." He pulled a box from behind him and handed Harry the wand. "Give it a wave now."

Harry took the wand into his hand and swished it. Nothing happened.

"No. How about this one? Oak, unicorn hair core, 10 inches."

Again the wand did not respond.

After about thirty wands, Harry started to get nervous. He looked up at Lily. "Mum, what if no wand chooses me?"

She rubbed his shoulders soothingly. "Harry, don't worry. There is a wand here for you. We simply have to find it. Right, Mr. Ollivander?"

"Indeed. Remember, the wand chooses the wizard, my boy." He Summoned another box, this one all the way on top of a stack in the back of the shop. "Try this one. Ebony and rowan, with a thunderbird feather core, 11 inches. Very rare. With it you shall have great protection against evil and also control over storm winds and lightning."

Harry picked it up and felt a tingle shoot up his arm. He waved it and sparks of all colors exploded from it. "This one!"

"Excellent!" Ollivander looked pleased. "A very good match!"

The wand was carved mostly of rowan wood, with a sleek ebony handle upon which had been etched a stylized thunderbird. Theo looked at the wand longingly. "That's an awesome wand, Harry." He felt a sudden stab of jealousy, and wished he could get a wand too.

"Thanks, Theo." Harry caressed his new wand lovingly.

"Shall we choose a wand holster, Harry?" asked Severus, indicating the row of leather holders along the far wall.

While Lily paid for the wand, Severus helped Harry pick out a holder, showing him the difference between an arm sheath, thigh sheath and a simple hip holster. There were holsters in all kinds of leather, in all colors, some with designs, others plain.

Severus showed Harry his arm sheath, of black leather with his initials stamped on it. Harry found an arm sheath of black leather with a buttery-soft cream leather trim. "I like this one. Can I have my initials on it?"

"A good choice," Severus praised. "Let us bring this to Ollivander." He told the proprietor what Harry wanted and the wandmaker used a spell to etch the initials on the holster. When Lily would have paid for it, Severus held up a hand. "No, this one's on me. Consider it a belated birthday present." He pulled out a leather pouch.

"Thank you, Healer Snape," Harry said after Lily gave him a reminder nudge.

Ollivander handed him the wand holster and then looked over at Theo. "And what about this young man?"

Theo shook his head, flushing. "I . . . I can't have a wand."

"Ah. Too young yet, are you? Maybe next year," Ollivander said kindly.

Theo quickly exited the shop, pangs of envy and longing pickling him. He walked over to Flourish and Blotts, hoping to pick out a new history book or even an herbal, since those were books he could use.

"Theo, wait up!" Harry called, running after him.

Theo seemed not to hear him, slipping inside the bookstore.

Harry entered and stopped dead in awe at the tables and shelves full of books of all kinds.

Lily laid a hand upon his shoulder as she came in. "It's wonderful, isn't it? This as always my favorite place to shop in Diagon Alley. Well, this and the apothecary."

"Really? How about my dad?"

"James liked Quality Quidditch Supplies best and also Gambol and Japes, the joke shop."

"Figures," snorted Severus.

Harry looked over at him. "What are your favorite shops, Healer Sev?"

"I mostly frequent Slug and Jiggers, as you might have guessed. But I also spend a good deal of time in Scribbulus Everchanging Inks and Obscurus Books, a smaller bookshop that caters to rare book collectors. And on occasion I go to Fortescue's as well."

"Where's Theo?" Harry wondered.

"He's probably browsing the potion manuals or the Herbology texts," Severus said, indicating that section of the bookstore. "Lily, can you recall the standard texts for first year?"

"Of course. And even if I couldn't, there's a list posted on the wall there." Lily answered. "Come on, let's get started."

Harry soon had an entire curriculum of school books, though Lily allowed him to get a book for fun also, called Quidditch Through the Ages. Harry found Theo perusing the illustrated herbals and asked if there was anything wrong. "You kind of disappeared on us."

Theo shrugged. "I just wanted to be alone for a bit." He picked up the herbal. "I really want to buy this, but I don't have enough money. I wonder if Severus would loan me some?"

"How much do you need?" asked the Mind Healer from behind them.

"Uh . . . two Galleons."

"Here." Severus handed him the money.

"Thanks!" Theo said, a smile on his face. He ran up to the registers to pay.

Severus turned to Harry. "We'll need to head over to the apothecary next to get you a potion kit and some cauldrons. Then we can also get you a set of robes at Madam Malkin's."

"Severus, is this how it would be if I were going off to school?"

"Yes. Your mother and I thought it best if we treated you like any new Hogwarts student, even though you'll be tutored by us." Severus told him, patting his shoulder.

Harry smiled at him. He was actually glad he didn't have to go away to school, he liked being at Heatherton Cottage and being tutored by Severus and his mum. He also liked being with Theo, although he noticed his friend was rather short with him today and wondered what was bothering the other boy.

Once the books were paid for, they headed over to the apothecary. The proprietor, Amos Jigger, knew Severus very well, and generously discounted Harry's kit and ingredients when Severus told him Harry was his personal apprentice. Severus helped Harry choose the freshest and well preserved ingredients and a cauldron that was lined with copper and not just the standard pewter one. He also suggested Harry have two sizes, a large one and a medium sized one.

Theo loitered in the back of the shop, watching. Severus usually shopped with him for potion ingredients and seeing the two of them together made him uneasy. He felt oddly resentful, even though he knew he shouldn't. But there was a little voice in the back of his head that kept whispering—now he has a real apprentice, instead of a pathetic Squib. Someone he can teach all kinds of magic to . . . a normal wizard boy. What if he likes Harry better? He's barely said two words to you this trip, what if he's getting sick and tired of you? His stomach began to ache at the thought.

After the apothecary, they decided to break for lunch, having sandwiches and burgers at a small café, and then headed to Fortescue's for ice cream. Their last stop before going back home was Madam Malkin's. As Severus and Harry entered the robe shop, Lily whispered something in Severus' ear. He nodded. Then Lily beckoned to Theo and whispered a question in his ear. The boy looked startled, then followed the witch out of the shop and across the street to Quality Quidditch Supplies.

The shop was very crowded, and Harry and Severus had to wait on a long line before Harry was measured and fitted for his new black robes with green lining inside. Harry carried the robes over his arm and turned to Severus, asking where his mother and Theo had gotten to.

"Your mother went to look in a store across the way, and Theodore went to the lavatory. They will meet us back here," Severus said. "Stay here. I am going to have a look at those robes over there," he pointed to a display of long black robes. "They are made with new fabric designed for potioneers and I happen to have been waiting for something like that for a long time."

"All right, sir." Harry watched as the tall Healer made his way through the throng and over to the robes on the display dummy.

Harry waited on line, shifting impatiently from foot to foot. There was a blond haired boy in front of him who sighed loudly and turned to look at Harry.

"I hate waiting on line, don't you?" He had blue-gray eyes and was one of those children mothers declared would grow into a handsome man.

"Yes. It's very boring," Harry agreed.

"You'd think that with school coming up, Madam Malkin would hire some extra help, but she's such a skinflint." The blond boy whispered. "It's like this every year, my father told me."

Finally they were next, and the blond boy hopped upon the circular platform, where a harried witch in blue and white robes bent to measure and pin up the boy's black robe's hem and sleeves.

No sooner had she done that, then she moved back to another child on the opposite side.

The blond boy rolled his eyes. "I wish she'd hurry up, I hate standing here with all these pins, they pinch."

"I thought they used magic to make the robes fit," Harry began, confused.

"They do, but they need the pins to give them an idea of where to start," said the other boy. "Haven't you ever gotten fitted for robes before?"

"No. This is my first time."

"Oh. You're a Muggleborn, then?"

"No. I'm a half-blood. Who are you?"

"Draco Malfoy." He held out his hand.

Harry took it. "Harry Potter."

Draco's eyebrows rose. "You're famous, you know."

"Yeah," Harry sighed.

"Uh . . . is it true what they say? That you almost died when a house fell on top of you? That it was knocked down by a hurricane?"

"Yes. A hurricane came and my aunt and uncle's house collapsed. I only survived because I was inside a closet when it happened."

"That was smart of you." Draco said approvingly. "Are you really a . . . stormcaller?" He leaned over and whispered that last word into Harry's ear.

"Yes." Harry replied, flipping up his hair so Draco could see the scar.

The other's eyes widened. "What can you do with it? Have you ever summoned a storm?"

"Twice. But I . . . had a hard time controlling it." Harry said softly. "It almost . . . got away from me."

"It must be hard, trying to do that. But . . . what does it feel like? Does it make you feel strong and powerful?"

"Sometimes. But it can also be kind of scary. It's like trying to hold onto a tiger by the tail. It could turn on me in a minute." Harry explained.

The seamstress came back and finished with the girl on the platform to the left of Draco. Then she gestured for Harry to step up there. He did so, and she helped him on with his robes and began to pin them up.

Once she had done that, she returned to Draco and began to hem his robes with a spell, her wand moving forward and back.

Draco kept on talking to Harry. "So . . . what House do you want to be in at school? I'm going to be in Slytherin, it's where all the Malfoys and Blacks have been for centuries."

"Uh . . . I'm not—"

"Not sure? Well, both your parents were in Gryffindor, so the Hat could put you there." Draco mused. "I heard that your mum was in a coma for ten years. Is she all right now?"

"She's fine. I'm not going to school, Draco."

The blond looked shocked. "How come? Didn't you get a letter?"

"Yes, but because of my power, my mum and Severus don't think it's such a good idea right now. I don't want to blow up the school by accident or something."

"Oh. Could you really do that? I mean, I've heard stories about stormcallers but . . ."

"I don't know, but I really don't want to find out." Harry said, twitching because a pin was poking his leg.

"You mentioned a man named Severus. Would you be talking about Severus Snape?" Draco asked.

"Yes. He's a Mind Healer at St. Mungos and my mum's best friend. Why? Do you know him?"

Draco laughed. "I've known him my whole life. He's my father's friend and my baby sister's godfather."

The seamstress finished with Draco and he got down off the platform and waited until she had finished with Harry. Harry jumped off and they started to make their way through the crowd, just as Severus was coming back along with a tall man with long blond hair, he was dressed in a smart business suit and carried a silver serpent topped cane.

"That's my father, Lucius Malfoy," Draco said. "He got injured in the last war when You-Know-Who's Death Eaters tortured him because he refused to pledge me to the Dark One's service. His leg's never been the same." The boy said gravely.

Harry winced. "That's terrible. I'm sorry to hear it. My friend Theo has a bum leg too."

Draco shrugged. "Father knew the risks when he agreed to be a spy for the Order of the Phoenix. He was the only one who could infiltrate the Dark Lord's inner circle without him becoming suspicious. But he refused to compromise his family at the end." He waved at the two men.

The two boys met the older wizards in the middle of the shop. Harry saw that Severus was carrying a wrapped package under his arm, probably a set of new robes.

"Hello, Father," Draco greeted the elder Malfoy. "Hello, Healer Severus."

"You've grown some since last year, Draco," Severus said, giving the boy a brief hug. "Are you all set for school?"

"Yes, the robes were the last thing."

"Draco, introduce me to your friend," Lucius said, leaning upon his cane slightly.

"Father, this is Harry Potter."

Lucius gave Harry a quiet smile. "Mr. Potter, well met. You wouldn't remember it, but I have seen you before, at your baptism. I am Lucius Malfoy." He held out a hand for Harry to shake.

"Pleased to meet you, sir." Harry said politely. The resemblance between Draco and his father was quite pronounced.

Lucius nodded and said, "So you and Draco shall be yearmates at Hogwarts. Are you looking forward to school?"

"I'm not going to Hogwarts," Harry began.

Lucius raised an eyebrow. "Indeed? Why not, may I ask?"

"His mother and I feel it best to wait, Lucius," Severus interjected. "So we shall be tutoring Harry privately, the way it used to be done before the Founding."

"The old master and apprenticeship, Sev?" Lucius queried.

"Just so, Luc. For the time being." Severus said. "How is Narcissa? And my little goddaughter?"

"Cissy is doing well. Aradia keeps her on her toes, the little minx." Lucius chuckled, his eyes gleaming with pride. "They are shopping elsewhere, but should be back shortly and then you can see how much Aradia has changed since you last saw her a year ago."

"When last I saw her, she was just beginning to walk and speak."

"Ah. Now she runs and speaks in full sentences."

"And follows me everywhere and doesn't shut up," Draco groaned. "She's a little brat."

"Draco!" Lucius reproved.

Draco flushed. "Well, she is. Sometimes."

"She's only two, and she adores her big brother," Lucius said proudly. "It's only natural that she imitates you."

Draco rolled his eyes. "I wish she would find somebody else to imitate."

Just then a shrill little voice shouted, "'Raco, where are you? 'Raco!"

Harry smothered a laugh as an adorable little girl came racing across the floor. She was wearing a frilly little pink and lavender dress with small sparkly white shoes, her hair was a pale silvery blond, in ringlets that flowed down her back. She had huge cornflower blue eyes and a gap-toothed smile.

She ran pell mell across the room, yelling, "'Raco, here I am!" She threw herself at her brother, grabbing Draco about the knees and hugging tight. "I found you!"

"You sure did," her brother said, with a long-suffering sigh. He knelt down and picked up his sister.

"I missed you!" she said, and threw her arms about him and kissed his cheek.

"Aww, Aradia!" he groaned.

The adults chuckled at his discomfort.

Draco coughed, then said, "Aradia, look who's here. It's Uncle Sev. Remember?" He pried the child's arms from his neck and turned her about to face Severus and his father, now joined by Narcissa, who was smiling at them.

The little girl frowned. All of a sudden, Aradia's eyes lit up as she recalled her godfather. "Unca Sevvie!" she trilled. "Down, 'Raco! I say hi to Unca Sevvie!" She squirmed until he set her down.

She toddled over to the Mind Healer, her arms held out.

Severus caught her and hugged her, lifting her into his arms. "Hello, Aradia, you little pixie." He tweaked her nose. "You've gotten so big I hardly recognize you."

"I is a big girl now, Unca Sevvie." Aradia told him solemnly. She gave him a kiss on the cheek. "I missed you."

Severus flushed. "I missed you too, little one."

"Did you brung me a pwesent?" she inquired artlessly.

"Aradia!" Narcissa gasped. "You don't ask people for presents."

"Why, Mama?"

"Because it's not polite," Narcissa said.

She snuggled up to Severus. "Did you?"

He chuckled indulgently. "Maybe. If you're good."

"I am! I am!" she bounced up and down. "Right, Papa?" She flashed Lucius a heartwarming smile.

"Yes, Aradia, you've behaved very well today," her father answered, unable to resist his baby girl's smile.

Aradia looked around and spotted Harry. "Who you?"

"Aradia, this is my friend Harry," Draco said. "Can you say Harry?"

Aradia screwed up her face, thinking hard. Finally she said, "Hi . . . Harry!"

"Hi, Aradia," Harry said, grinning back.

Page~*~*~*~*~Break

Meanwhile, Lily and Theo were inside the Quidditch store, where Theo helped Lily pick out a jersey for Harry. "He'll like the Wimbourne Wasps. That's the second best team in the league, Lily." He pointed to a yellow and black jersey with a large wasp and Snitch on the front.

"And what team do you like, Theo?" Lily asked.

"I like the Montrose Magpies," he said, pointing to a jersey with black and white stripes and a large magpie on the front. "They're the best team in the league."

"I see. I'm afraid I'm not up on Quidditch teams any longer," Lily chuckled. "That's why I needed you to help me, Theo."

"Aw, shoot, it's nothin', Lily," Theo said, looking at the ground.

She patted his cheek and smiled. "You're sweet, Theo. You make me smile. Well, we'll just pay for these and be on our way back. I'm sure Harry is done with his fitting by now."

Lily quickly picked up a jersey for Harry and another for Theo, they would make fine Christmas gifts. She had just finished paying for her purchases and had begun to walk outside, Theo at her elbow, when she was accosted by a reporter from The Daily Prophet.

"Lily Potter! Half a moment!" the reporter panted. "Would you mind answering a few questions? How do you feel now that you're awake again? How did you manage to survive the attack from You-Know-Who? How are you managing now that you're together with your son Harry?"

Lily was overwhelmed with a deluge of the press, all sticking quills in her face and wanting an exclusive of her about her miraculous recovery. She did her best to answer a few questions, while attempting to push past the knot of reporters. Theo clung to her elbow, dragged along in her wake.

They would have followed her into Madam Malkin's had not Severus came out and given them a glare worthy of a Dementor, causing them to back off and allowing Lily to reach the sanctuary of the robe shop. "Sev, thank goodness! Those vultures all wanted to pick my brain," she said.

"They can go hang themselves," he growled. Then he drew Lily and Theo inside. "Lily, I want you to meet an old friend of mine, Lucius Malfoy and his family."

Lily stiffened. "Lucius Malfoy!" she exclaimed. "Severus, how can you be friends with that . . . that Death Eater!" she hissed, her eyes flashing.

"Lucius was never a Death Eater, Lily. He was spy for the Order of the Phoenix. He revealed his true loyalties after the war. He was always one of us. I'm godfather to his youngest, a charming little girl named Aradia Melina Malfoy."

"Well, I never thought . . .Merlin, Severus! I feel as if a lifetime has passed me by while I was sleeping." Lily said feelingly. "James always insisted Lucius was as bad as they came."

"Your husband was always quick to condemn Slytherins," Severus said shortly. "Come, let's go greet Luc, Narcissa, Draco, and Aradia."

He led them over to where they Malfoys waited with Harry, who was now holding an adorable little girl. The child turned and grinned, waving at Severus. "Hey, Unca Sevvie!"

"Uncle Sevvie?" Theo started snickering.

"Hush, you!" Severus ordered, giving the boy a light swat.

"Oh, Sev, she's darling!" Lily said, unable to keep herself from smiling. She had always wanted a little girl. She walked over, her hand held out to Narcissa. "Lady Malfoy, it's a pleasure to meet you."

Narcissa took her hand and smiled. "The pleasure is mine, and please, call me Narcissa."

"And you must call me Lily."

"Lily, meet my husband, Lucius, and my children, Draco and Aradia," Narcissa said graciously, gesturing to her family.

Lily said hello to the Malfoys, and then Severus introduced Theo to them as well.

Together they went outside, and Lucius invited them to Malfoy Manor for dinner on Saturday. Lily was hesitant at first, but then accepted, seeing how Harry and Draco seemed to be getting along, and Theo as well. It was odd, but ten years ago, she never would have imagined rubbing shoulders with the high and mighty Malfoys, advisors to the Minister and supposed supporters of You-Know-Who. How the times were changing, she mused. For better or for worse.

Chapter End Notes:
Sorry for posting so late, but I have been sick with fibromyalgia this past week and that has put a strain on my writing. Hope you all enjoyed this and please leave me a review if you did, so I know you're all still reading. Thanks! And a special thanks to LeeRoy for helping me with this chapter.