Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I couldn't find a better chapter title. I've beta'd this as best i can, forgive me for any errors.

Some surprises await the Snape Family as they begin to live again.
Beginning To Live Again

Two Days Later

The Snapes stepped out into the fresh air of Diagon Alley. Aubrey had just been released from the hospital with a clean bill of health. Next to him, his twin brother Ambrosias stood draped in a heavy cloak that his father had given him, it was magically charmed to block the deadly rays of the sun. As long as he wore it with the hood up, he couldn’t be harmed, by the heat of the day.

However with it being so close to dusk, he wouldn’t have to wear it much longer. The first order of the evening was to do some much needed shopping.

Their first stop was of course, Wizard’s Wear. It was a clothing shop for teens and young men. As they walked in, Aubrey looked about him in wonder. He’d never really looked in here before. He’d been afraid to get new clothes, incase he was considered even more of a freak. And there had been that time when he was beaten up for looking more handsome then portly chubby Duddykins.

He felt himself being gently prodded along. He looked up at Severus uncertainly.

Severus gently nudged him. “Go on son. No child of mine should be seen in those baggy cast offs from the Durlsey’s.”

Aubrey hesitated a moment more, before his twin took him by the arm and led him along to the back of the store that was decidedly…gothic.

The teenagers smiled.

Before, Harry wouldn’t have worn such things, he would stick to the more common clothing. But now Harry was gone, and he was Aubrey now…and Aubrey liked this section.

Ambrosias was already looking through pants section. He’d seen these styles in the Muggle world, and he liked them then too. But his adopted parents were strict…and these were considered the devil’s clothes…but he was free of them now.

He pulled a pair of flared pants that were black and had silver grommets along on the sides towards the bottoms. Green laces were looped through them and tied at the end.

“Those are very interesting.” Aubrey said giving them a long glance before looking at his brother.

“They’d look amazing on you. There’s another one just like it!”

“Fantastic! Aubrey said gleefully and took the pair his brother handed him.

They both found another pair of pants with green flames dancing up both legs (literally) . Then they turned their attention to the shirts.

Among the shirts they found shirts with the same charm on them.

A smile played on Aubrey’s lips. “These shirts are hot!”

Ambrosias gave him a long look before they both burst into giggles.

They found several more outfits that featured, snakes dragons and even settled for a few pairs that were just plain black.

After picking out some underclothes and socks, they moved on to shoes.

They each bought trainers and even a pair of ankle boots.

Severus found them then, and eyed their choices curiously. “You both look…like…you’re my sons.” He chuckled and then turned away.

Being a father is certainly becoming interesting, he noted to himself when he realized that his sons were exhibiting the twin trait of choosing the same style of clothing and color.

That thought brought on another thought.

They’re identical, How am I supposed to tell them apart?

An idea popped into is head as he strode up to the front counter where the tired cashier waited patiently for them. Off to the side of the register was a jewelry rack. With the focus of a potion’s master, he began to search through the many different pieces until he found two pendants that were almost alike. They were small glass dragons that each held orbs. One was silver and the other green. He turned to the cashier and added them to the pile.

After buying both pendants, he pointed his wand at the first one and muttered a few words in Latin and as he did, they both glowed a brillant blue before resuming their original hues.

The moment they put them on, they spell would immediately etch the name of the wearer inside the orb. No one else would be able to see the etchings except for himself.

This way, should they ever attempt to fool him for one reason or another, he would only need to peer at the orb to find out which of his sons was which.

That’s a brilliant idea. Not that the boys will ever know it. He thought with a secret smirk. In the next moment, both boys approached him

“Dad, are those for us?” Ambrosias asked.

Severus nodded. “Yes, a gift for my sons. One of many. Do you like them?”

He held them out to the teens and they each took one. The green one went to Aubrey and the Silver one to Ambrosias.

“These are fantastic!” They said at the same time.

Severus raised an eyebrow. And so it begins!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After completing their purchases, which also included personal items, they flooed back to Scotland.

“What’s this place?” asked his vamp son.

“It’s Hogsmead, a wizard village close to the school. It’s brilliant.”

Up ahead was ‘The Three Broomsticks.’ Without realizing that he’d subconsciously had chosen this place to eat at, he ushered his boys in the door.

After being seated, a familiar witch walked up to them with a mini quill and piece of parchment.

“Good Evening Professor, I see you found your sons.”

Severus beamed at her. “Yes. All is how it should be. We’re celebrating tonight.”

Hazel grinned at them and then at Severus, her glance only lingering a moment more then necessary.

“What would you like to drink tonight?”

“Three butter beers, Hazel.” Severus said grinning at her.

The brother’s looked at each other. Were those sparks flying between them?

“Dad, are you seeing her?” Ambrosias asked.

Severus flushed at the question. “No, not at all. Her daughter is in Slytherin. Being Kelly’s head of house, I know Hazel. Just like I know all the other parents.”

“But she likes you, dad.” Aubrey commented. “I can tell.”

Severus was quiet for a moment and then narrowed his eyes. “Put it from your mind son. I’m loyal to your mother, Artemis. I’ll not besmirch her memory by seeing another witch.”

Aubrey opened his mouth again when his twin clamped a hand over it, making it impossible for him to speak. “When can we visit her and our brother?”

Severus was quiet for a moment. “Tonight, if you wish. The Snape Family Cemetery is just outside Godricks Hollow. It’s hidden by enchantments and only reveals itself to our bloodline. After we’ve eaten, we can visit there.”

An hour later, after bidding Hazel goodbye, they walked to back to the main road in front of Zonko’s Joke Shop . When they arrived their father turned to them. “We have another little secret in our family.” He pointed his wand at his sons.

“Finite Supressor.”

As soon as those words were uttered. Both son’s felt a subtle change inside and hidden knowledge rose to the surface.

Without having to speak, they all closed their eyes and immediately their bodies began to blur and reshape themselves. They shrunk to the size of a housecat and sinew formed between arm and shoulder. Several seconds passed that way, in silence and when all was still, instead of three wizards, three black bats splayed on the ground.

“So, that joke about you being the bat of the dungeons…”

“…Is based on truth. A nosey 7th year accidentally saw me make the change. No one believed him so he wasn’t able to blackmail me/ not that it matters. Now, take the sky with me my sons! The night is ours!”

This whole conversation, to anyone else’s ears would have been nothing but a series of screeches.

As they took to the skies following their father, Aubrey looked at his brother. “What’s got your tongue?”

His brother was quiet for another second. “I don’t know what to say, I drink blood, I wear black clothing, I can only come out at night and now I can turn into a bat. Now I have all the traits of vampirism.”

“I know it’ll take some getting used to, my son.” Snape said from in front of them. I didn’t tell you this, but near the old estate there was a clan of vampires I doubt they’re around anymore but you never know.”

The trio of bats were quiet again and they stayed that way till the old family cemetery came into view.

At their father’s signal they changed directions and swooped into a downward spiral. And when they were close to the ground, they morphed back to their human forms.

Up ahead was the stone archway. In quiet movements they walked through the archway where a pair of moonlit eyes were waiting for them. The eyes belonged to a beautiful young girl. Her blonde hair was long and her face was pale.

To Ambrosia’s eyes, he knew instantly that he’d found one of his own ‘kind’. The young vampires looked each other over appreciatively. Severus approached her slowly.

“Greetings Stella. I didn’t think I’d ever see you again.”

The young female hung her head for a moment. “We feel guilty over you losing your home and family. When your children came home, we were overwhelmed with their smell. The taste of young blood was strong and very tempting.”

“My sire, Darius led us away. We didn’t find out about the slaughter till later. We’ve failed you that night. Ever since then, we’ve been keeping guard of this cemetery.”

Severus nodded and then looked about him. “Friends, you can come out now. We hold nothing against you!”

Several moments passed till a small group of pale skin people appeared out of the shadows. There were four of them not including Stellla. Darius walked in front of him.

He was beautiful and masculine. He stood at least 6 feet tall and with a proud face, soft bronze eyes and long brown hair that hung behind his head bound with a jeweled clip.

He wore simple brown trousers and a white tunic. Dragon hide boots covered his feet and he wore an elegant black cloak adorned with silver embroidered edges. It was fastened with a shiny silver clasp shaped like a snake that had emerald eyes embedded into it.

“Lord Snape, Words cannot express my shame over not protecting you and your family. Artemis was such a kind woman. We’ve been guarding this cemetery ever since. Please, forgive me.”

He said this in a contrite voice. If he could have cried, the tears would be flowing.

“If there is anything we can do to atone for what we’ve done, we’ll do it.”

Severus could tell that the leader was serious. If he refused, the vampire would feel insulted. So he motioned for his sons to come forward. When they did, Darius looked at Ambrosias in grim surprise.

“He’s been turned.”

“This is Ambrosias Odysseus Snape and his brother, Aubrey Allesander Snape. We don’t know who did it, but someone kidnapped Ambrosias the night of the fire and took him to Paris."

"I was turned almost two weeks ago." saidthe young vampire. The night my adoptive parents were killed. I have no memory of who my attacker was, but when I woke up I was among another coven that hid in an old house. They hunted for me and found new clothes for me too.”

“Does your council know of you and that you left?” He asked in a no nonsense voice.

Ambrosias nodded. “I was to go and see the council here in England, but then I found my twin, Aubrey and I had to take him to the hospital. I haven’t been to seen the elders yet.”

“Be sure you do…and…” he trailed off as another vampire came to his side, this one was shorter with the same pale skin and platinum blonde hair that had been sheered shorter. He had bright blue eyes and wore a simple tunic and trousers.

“He may not need to do that. He’s not a full vampire.”

Darius turned to the younger vampire. “Explain yourself, Ivan.”

The vampire looked at them steadily. “His aura is different then the normal vamp. He thirst for blood like all of us and his senses and strength have been heightened. But he’s not immortal. If he had been a Muggle when he was bitten, then his aura would pulse red.”

“But his is different.” Ivan continued. “It pulses red and shimmers. The shimmering is caused by his magical core. It countered the venom, not enough to stop if from spreading. He’ll age slower then normal but he’ll still age.”

Severus expelled a breath as the vamp continued in a confident voice.

“I’ve been developing a potion of sorts. I’ve only tested it on Stella since she’s like you. When I exposed her to fresh blood, she was able to exert restraint. She was also able to eat mortal food too. If we were test it on your son and it works, he’ll be able to be around mortals without being tempted as badly by his thirst and he won’t need to hunt as often to stay strong.”

Severus’ curiosity was piqued. “I would love to examine the potion. But if you would allow us, my sons and I are here to visit their mother and brother.”

The vamp inclined his head. “Forgive us for keeping you. We will happily stand guard for you.”

Severus gave them a nod of thanks before he turned with his sons and headed to the big stone building

After whispering the password to the stone gargoyles on each side, they moved to the side and the doors to the mausoleum opened.

Ambrosias and Aubrey were both quiet as they approached their mother’s coffin.

One twin traced his mother’s name with his finger and the other rested his forehead on the lid.

The young male vampire closed his eyes remembering for a moment the feel of his mother’s skin as she rocked him slowly in her arms. He was surprised he could remember back that far. Harry on the other hand, had no such memories as he had been switched at birth.

Still, his heart squeezed with pain as his quiet desire to know her made itself known.

“Mum, I wanted to know you so badly. I promise to make you proud.”

“I know you will.” Said a feminine voice as a soft light penetrated the light of the flickering torches. There before them was an angelic looking being. Her shimmering black hair fell around her shoulders. She wore a white gown, that flowed past her feet. A golden belt wrapped around her ethereal waist.

“Artemis! But how is this possible?” Severus gasped falling to his knees.

The angelic woman floated over to her lover and gently touched his shoulder.

“The Eternal one knows how it is to lose his son. He took compassion on me and allowed me to come back to earth for just a few minutes so that I can meet my son. I have much to say this night.”

She gently touched Severus’ cheek and he closed his eyes.

“My love, I hated being ripped from your side in such a way, but our son Aaron and even the potter boy are with me in paradise. My time on earth was finished that night, even though I didn’t want to die. You’ve mourned me long enough and I want you to be happy.”

“But it’s you I love. Artemis. You’re the only one I’ve ever desired.”

“I know and I haven’t forgotten you, my love for you is eternal. I won’t be angry or feel betrayed if you found another woman to love. I’ve seen how miserable you are. I want better for you, Severus.”

“I don’t know if I can. With you, our love was easy as breathing.”

“I believe in you Sev. Promise me that you try. I want your life to be full and you deserve to fall in love again.”

Severus was quiet as he nodded.

“There’s one more thing, my love.”

Severus waited.

“The night I died, it was Belletrix LeStrange and Amicus Carrow that took our sons. If they aren’t dealt with, I fear that they’ll strike another family and do unspeakable things to their children.”

“It’ll be done, my love.”

Artemis smiled at him before turning to her sons that both had tears in their eyes.

“My sons, I’m so proud of how you’ve grown. Aubrey, you have no idea how much I wanted to hold you in my arms again. Your brother, Aaron is safely with me. He’s always asking about you and watches you from heaven.”

“I told him that one day you’ll be reunited and he can’t wait. But that doesn’t mean that you try and kill yourself before the appointed time. Your father needs you more then ever. Don’t let him stay in mourning for me. I really am happy where I am. I want you three to be a happy family.”

She paused and looked up at the night sky. “I don’t have much time left before I have to return. So I want you boys to know how much l love you. And that if your father remarries that you’ll treat your new mum as good as you would have treated me.”

“We will mum, we promise!”

“I love you my sons.”

Then she looked back at her husband. “James and Lily Potter have approached me and begged for forgiveness. They’ve asked that their son be buried with them. Would you do this for me?”

Severus only nodded. “I will, my love.”

“I’ll be waiting by the starry road for you when the time comes. Until then I want you to live and love.”

As they answered her, the ethereal specter faded away, leaving them once again, alone in the mausoleum.

All three of them were quiet again. Then the twins took their father’s hand. “Come on Dad, let’s go home.”

Severus smiled faintly. “Yes, it’s time to start living.”

Then they all left.

From the heavenly realm, Artemis and her son watched them with a sad smile on their faces.

The vampires bid them goodbye after agreeing on a time to meet up again to get Ambrosias settled in.

With everything decided on, they all departed for Hogwarts.

Their new lives had begun.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
So, what do you think of the coven, what about the bat animagus? (I took that idea from reading Deathly Hallows.) Please leave non flamitory reviews!