Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

I'm hesitant to call this a Star Trek crossover. I mean, no Star Trek characters are going to appear in this story and it does not take place on a far away planet. However, this story will be riddled with Star Trek references.

You do not have to be a Trekkie to read this story. It will make perfect sense if you've never seen a single Star Trek episode or movie.

For my fellow Trekkies, however, a hundred points will be reward to everyone who can name all the Star Trek references at the end of every chapter. :D

Also, I must thank Lady Lanera for giving me the idea for this story as well as for the awesome banner!!. Thanks Lan! :D

Live long and prosper.

 

Author's Chapter Notes:
Though posted a day early, this chapter is dedicated to Lady Lanera for her birthday. Happy Birthday Lan! :D
Chapter 1

Harry watched his feet move over the worn stones of the castle. Each step bringing him closer to the Potions Master’s office and Professor Snape. Harry attempted to swallow back his anxiety which only caused his stomach to curdle. For the first time since the end of second year Harry was dreading meeting with the ’greasy git’ of the dungeons. Stopping in front of a old wooden door Harry raised his fist and after a moments hesitation knocked softly at the door.

“Come.”

Biting his bottom lip Harry pushed open the door that had been opened for him only slightly. Moving into the office he stopped behind the chairs facing the professor’s desk. Snape was grading papers and didn’t even look up as Harry moved into the room. Harry almost hoped the man wouldn’t look up. That Snape would just tell him the news Harry was dreading and send him on his way.

“Sit. I’m almost done.”

Obediently Harry moved around the straight back wooden chair accidentally kicking it and causing it to scrap loudly across the stones. The noise echoed in his ears and he risked a glance at his professor expecting to see a glare and to hear a biting comment about his clumsiness. Instead the professor continued grading not even hesitating as he wrote another comment on the poor first year’s paper.

Harry watched Snape make a couple more comments on the essay before marking the grade and setting it aside with others. Swallowing nervously Harry swore he wouldn’t cry. No matter what Snape told him he wouldn’t break down again in front of the man.

“ All right, Harry,” Snape said finally looking up, only to tilt his head to the side curiously, “what’s wrong?”

Harry shrugged. Snape knew very well what was wrong.

“Harry,” Snape sounded concerned as he stood and moved around his desk coming to stand in front of Harry.

Harry felt the professor’s hand against his forehead and cheeks as if checking for a fever. Harry had to fight back the desire to throw himself into the professor’s arms at the paternal action.

“Harry, what’s got you so worked up?” Snape asked, and Harry almost whimpered as the hand was removed from his cheek.

“The papers didn’t go through, did they?” Harry’s voice cracked. “Now I can’t stay with you. I’ll have to go back to the Dursley’s.”

“What are you talking about?”

“The adoption papers. They didn’t go through.”

“They didn’t?” Snape’s voice held genuine confusion and caused Harry’s head to snap up to look at the professor.

“Isn’t that why you asked me to come down here?”

Harry watched Snape shake his head back and forth. “No, child. Whatever gave you that idea?”

“The man from the Ministry. He said we’d have their decision by today.”

Snape did not immediately reply instead he stepped closer and cupping the back of Harry’s head pulled him closer. Harry’s head leaned against the professor resting just below his chest. The professor’s right hand remained on the back of his head while the other came up to rub his back gently.

Harry brought his arms up to wrap around Snape’s waist, rather proud he‘d kept himself from crying. “He kept coming back and asking questions and bringing more things for you to sign. Like he was looking for any excuse to say ‘no’.”

“They said ‘yes,’ Harry. The papers went though. I asked you down here to tell you that and see if you wanted to spend the weekend down here with me instead of in your dorm.”

Harry pulled back from Snape to look up at him with large eyes and his mouth hanging open. He couldn’t believe it. The ministry said ‘yes.’ He had a father now.

Snape smirked slightly when Harry didn‘t respond, “I’m a Potions Master not a mind reader. You’re going to have to speak in order for me to know you’re agreeable to the arrangement.”

Chapter End Notes:
To my knowledge there is only one, intentional, Star Trek reference in this chapter, and you have to squint to see it.

Any ideas as to what the reference is?