Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 34

The next morning Harry, Ron, Hermione and Draco were each awakened by their house elf for breakfast. As each of them prepared themselves to face breakfast, their dreams came back to them, each dream as clear as a drop of water.

Harry looked into the mirror of his bathroom and saw a the dried blood on the edge of his scar. He scowled at the offensive reminder of his parents death and what the future held for him. Grabbing a washcloth and running it under the hot water, he scrubbed at the scar until it looked ready to bleed anew. He then arranged his hair to hide it.

Sirius seemed so real last night. Harry glowered at himself in the mirror. So had Voldemort. He could still smell the brimstone that seemed to surround that dark wizard like a cloying cologne. It made his stomach roil uneasily and breakfast was the last thing he wanted to face right now.

Splashing water on his face helped to calm his stomach. He then did his best to shake off the dream and then he made his way to Snape's room for something to eat.

Draco had not made it back to his bed and his body ached in a variety of places from having slept the rest of the night in the chair. Before he'd risen from the chair, his memory flashed to the blood flowing onto Hermione's dress from his dream. He ran to his bathroom and collapsed in front of the toilet bowl. There was nothing in his stomach, so it cramped with dry heaves. Cold sweat beaded his brow and for at least a minute he did not move. He didn't trust his legs could support him.

When he was sure of his feet he rose to his legs and went to the sink where he rinsed his mouth and began brushing his teeth. Once the wave of nausea was gone he found it replaced by something else, something he couldn't quite define. He stared in the mirror and suddenly he realized what the feeling was; he felt like himself. He wasn't the 'son of Lucius Malfoy, Death Eater', he was Draco Malfoy. He grinned sardonically at his reflection. He'd killed his father in his dream without hesitation. He hadn't been afraid.

Hermione brushed her comb through her hair and for once wasn't worrying about the tough job it usually was to tame her wild, brown hair. Her dream hardly solved any riddles for her, but she had been given a piece of the puzzle and that was a good thing. More pieces would come and soon she would have enough to either complete the puzzle, or be well on the way to solving it. Taking one last glimpse into the mirror, Hermione thought briefly of her parents. She missed her parents and wanted to return home to them. She also wanted to go back to the Hogwarts she knew.

"Dumbledore's the key," she mumbled as she pulled some of her hair off her face and clipped it into place. Was it a coincedence that they'd gone back in time to the one connection they had to their future? Hermione didn't believe in coincedence. Destiny, is what Dumbledore of her dream had called it. She frowned darkly. Destiny was another thing she distrusted, along with tea leaves, crystal balls, and Tarot cards.

Ron brushed his teeth vigourously and just as he was rinsing his mouth, he caught sight of his reflection. He wanted to remember the flight on the broom, but that part of the dream was fading. He'd forget before the hour was ended. What would stay in his mind, he knew this without a doubt, was the spectre of Albus Dumbledore asking to be remembered. He still wasn't sure of the reason why, but mentally he spoke to the visage of the headmaster, 'Don't worry, professor. I'll remember.'

Snape was not at the breakfast table as they each gathered quietly. They were met by the Headmistress who used wandless magic to pour pumpkin juice for them from a large pitcher. For several minutes their appetites took over and they put a decent dent in the fare on the table.

"How is Snape?" asked Draco as he took a bite of a raspberry muffin.

"Professor Snape is well, but he needed to rest. He wanted me to make certain all of you would meet him here for lunch."

"So what do we do until then?" asked Harry. "I don't think there's any practices today to watch."

"Yeah," said Ron. He tossed an orange at Draco, but Lyrica's hand snatched it out of the air. Ron grinned sheepishly and Draco glared. "I think I'm actually missing school."

Lyrica put the orange down and studied the children. "You have been rather isolated, haven't you?"

"It's boring!" huffed Draco. He surreptitiously picked up a biscuit and when he thought the headmistress wasn't looking, he lobbed it at Ron's head. Just as the biscuit hit Ron in the side of his head, Harry's hand whacked the back of Draco's head. "Don't mess with my hair, Potter!" Growled Draco. Harry snickered.

Lyrica cleared the table of all temptation and smirked at the three boys. Hermione chuckled and then explained, "Professor Snape told us we had to keep our interaction with others to a strict minimum. I'm all right with that, though."

Ron snorted. "Give you a book and you're fine wherever you're put, 'Mione." Hermione made a face at Ron. Harry and Draco snickered.

They were interrupted by a knock on the door. It was Albus Dumbledore. "Professor Arcahnum? You asked me to meet you here?"

"I did, Mr. Dumbledore. Please come in."

Albus walked in and greeted the others with a slight wave. He pulled a small white paper bag out of his pocket. "Anyone want a sherbet lemon?" Draco snorted and Ron groaned. Harry elbowed Ron and reached for one of the lemon candies. Popping it into his mouth, he chuckled, too. Poor Albus really hadn't a clue what was so funny. He grinned anyway.

"Mr. Dumbledore, I've excused you from your morning classes because I'd like you to take care of our guests today. Their uncle is still recovering from his injuries and as Mr. Malfoy so succinctly put it, they're bored." The headmistress removed a key from a pocket in her robe and handed it to the head boy. "Take them up to the 6th floor and show them the Odd Room."

"What's the Odd Room?" asked Draco. "I've never heard of it."

"Neither have I," piped up Hermione. "And I've read every page of Hogwarts: A History."

Dumbledore took the heavy copper key and flashed another big grin at everyone. "Oh, you'll love this! Everyone ready to go?"

"A moment, please," said Lyrica as she rose and gestured that the four should stay seated. "Mr. Dumbledore, would you wait for them in the hallway?" He nodded and walked out of the room. Lyrica lowered her voice. "I need not remind you that you must be careful with your words around Mr. Dumbledore. I truly do not want to have to work an Obliviate upon his mind if he hears something he shouldn't. Professor Snape has informed me that the fact he knows your real names is not a problem. So, be diligent?" She looked at each of them carefully, capturing their gazes, one by one, with her own. They nodded. "Good." She led them out of Hermione's room and reminded Albus to have everyone back by noon.