Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 64

It was not easy for the time traveler's despite how well they had hoped to settle back into their old lives, and in the case of Lyrica, her new one.

Draco would have been completely isolated if it hadn't been for frequent visits to his godfather, and late night correspondence to Hermione through Ron's 'Pen Pal Parchment'. Ron had been able to add in a further charm that allowed for private communication, mostly after Harry had complained about having to read Draco and Hermione's 'kissy-face' talk. It was while Ron was working on the privacy charm that the teenagers realised that just as they could read everything, so could Snape. Any problem Ron had been having with applying the charm of privacy to the parchments was gone with that incentive.

Slumping onto his bed, Draco waved a hand to put up a muffling spell, a privacy spell, and sealed the curtain of his bed shut. He smiled to himself; he was really getting the hang of the wandless Ley Line Magic. Hermione was better, though. Draco was able to tap into a Ley Line, but only when he didn't use his wand. If he tried while using his wand, his spells had a distressing habit of causing magical feedback. So far it hadn't been dangerous, but the resultant tingling shock was unpleasant. Hermione was able to tap into a Ley Line without any effort. She had become sensitive to the magic that surrounded the Earth and discovered that connecting herself to it was no different than taking a breath of air into her lungs. Her difficulty, though, came in her wand work. She had grace and speed when using her wand, but trying to channel her enhanced magic through her wand actually caused the strength of her spells to suffer. Her spells were stronger without a wand, but she had yet to discipline her control. Practice would remedy that, though, and Draco had agreed with Lyrica that Hermione would be a formidable warrior once she had that control.

Taking out his Pen Pal Parchment, Draco tapped his wand and muttered the privacy spell, "Secretum Hermione Granger." He began writing.

Are you there, love?

Just waiting for you, D.

D? You are mad, aren't you?

I shouldn't be, but it did sting because it sounded like you really meant it.

Draco sighed heavily as he recalled the scene that had happened in the courtyard. He and Harry had gotten into an argument. Just a bit of tossing insults back and forth. Draco insulted Potter's parents, the Weasleys and it had smoothly included a nasty little 'Mudlblood' epithet aimed at Hermione. The look of hurt in her eyes practically unravelled him and just as he was stupidly going to apologise and ruin the entire farce, Professor Moody turned him into a ferret! Thank Merlin Potter had grabbed him and taken him away for 'some fun' as he told Moody, before the scary bastard could have bounced him to death. A quick trip to the infirmary had him restored.

I am sorry, Hermione. I hate this. It scares me as to how easy it is to joke around about Muggles being punished. I never realised how close I was to being like Lucius.

There has to be something we can do, or Sev can do, Drake. How are you going to last for another year and a half? And, I am sorry that Prof. Moody turned you into a ferret. Are you all right, now?

Yeah. I don't... wait, there's an owl.

Disturbed by the pecking at his window, Draco lowered his wards and slid off his bed. At the window was his father's owl, Aelius. He opened the window and quickly removed the letter from his father. As he read it, the color drained from his face. He shooed the owl out the window, without feeding it, and snatched his hand back just before the owl could catch it in his beak. The owl let out a screech and Draco slammed the window shut. He jumped back onto his bed, put the wards in place and grabbed the Pen Pal Parchment.

Is everything all right?

Draco?

Letter from Lucius. I have to go talk to Sev. I'll tell you about it later, all right?

All right, Drake. I love you.

I love you, too, My.

Draco waited for the writing to fade and then he tucked the parchment back into a niche in the headboard of his bed. With a swipe of his hand, his wards around his bed were gone. Grabbing his robes, he left the dormitory and headed for Snape's office.


"A ferret?" asked Snape in shock as he stared from his chair in his sitting room at Lyrica.

She nodded. "Harry had the good sense to bring him to the infirmary. I don't understand what Professor Moody's problem is, Severus. Does he hate all Slytherins or just Draco? Does he not realise he could have seriously injured the child?"

"Moody is a product of war, Lyrica. He still thinks he can make his own rules which is one of the reasons he's no longer an Auror. Did you speak to Albus about this incident?"

Lyrica nodded. "I sent him a report, as I do with any serious injury. The Headmaster seemed to feel that since Draco was unharmed that there was no need to speak to the professor, other than to remind him that students cannot be transfigured as a punishment. He then awarded Harry 50 points for taking Draco to the infirmary."

Snape scowled. He was about to say something else when a low, soft gong sounded. He rose from his chair and briefly brushed his lips to Lyrica's cheek. "A student at my office door. I'll return in a moment."

A few minutes later Snape opened the door of his office to a very agitated Draco Malfoy. "He's coming here. He's heard the rumours about Lyrica and says he knows you never married in secret, and he's curious about you adopting Harry. He's... he's..." Draco wavered slightly as he began to hyperventilate.

"Sit down," ordered Snape as he took the letter from Draco's hand. "Lower your head and breathe through your nose." Draco tried and promptly fell forward, fainting. Tossing the letter onto his desk, he hauled Draco back up into the chair and summoned smelling salts. Breaking the capsule under the boy's nose, Draco shot back to consciousness.

"He wants to send me to Durmstrang!" Draco's eyes were wide, pleading for help, as he looked up at his godfather.

Snape took a small phial of Calming Potion from his pocket and gave it to the panicked boy. "Drink it, and then sit there, quietly, as I read the letter." As Draco drank the potion, Snape retrieved the letter from his desk. He quickly read it.

Draco,

My curiosity is too great to rely upon Ministry gossip and conjecture about the recent events at Hogwarts. Expect me this Saturday in a quasi-official capacity for the Board of Governors. I know well that Severus did not get married after leaving Hogwarts. He was entirely too busy serving our family friend. I also wish to look more into this farce of an adoption of our family friend's enemy, Harry Potter. You've given me little more than the word of mouth that is echoed by the jumped up puppet, Fudge.

Finally, I have decided that your time at Hogwarts must come to an end. There are far too many unsavory elements at that school for my taste. I have secured a transfer for you to Durmstrang. There, at least, I know that you will be properly trained to enter the family business. Be packed and prepared to leave as soon as I've completed my business at Hogwarts.

Lucius Malfoy

"Everyone says Durmstrang is a Death Eater training ground," muttered Draco with a haunted voice.

"Draco?" Snape took the boy's chin in his hand and forced him to look up at him. "I will make certain that Lucius does not remove you from Hogwarts. I promised to take care of you, and I shall, no matter what." He let go of Draco's chin and handed the letter back to him. "Write a reply to your father letting him know that you'll be ready to do as he wishes."

"But, but... I don't..." The Slytherin rose unsteadily to his feet.

Snape turned the boy to face him and caught his grey-eyed stare with his own dark and steady gaze. "If I have to kill Lucius in front of the entire student body of Hogwarts to keep you from leaving, I will not hesitate to do so. Do you understand, Little Dragon?" Draco nodded. "Good, now go back to bed and be prepared to reply to the letter in the morning."

A week later on a Saturday morning, Draco was up before breakfast and went to Snape's quarters. A bleary-eyed Harry Potter opened the hidden door and glared at Draco. Draco pushed Harry aside roughly, but as soon as the door closed, he smiled.

"Hey, Scarhead."

"Mornin' Goldilocks. Why are you up so early?"

"Lucius is coming today."

"Ohhhh. So he's coming to nose around and find out what's going on?"

Draco nodded. "Did Severus tell you? Lucius wants to remove me from Hogwarts."

"What? Why?" Harry went into the little kitchen and began to make tea.

"He thinks there are too many Muggle-born students here. Probably doesn't like Dumbledore's philosophy either. He thinks it's all a bad influence on me." Draco was pacing nervously. "Can you believe he wants to send me to Durmstrang?"

"I've never heard of Durmstrang," said Harry steeping the tea.

"They teach the Dark Arts. The rumour is that they're a training ground for future Death Eaters. The Headmaster, Igor Karkarov, was a Death Eater. Probably still is, now that I think about it."

Harry walked out of the kitchen, shoved a cup of tea in Draco's hand, and nudged him over to the small dining table. "If that doesn't calm you, maybe you ought to ask Dad or Mum for a Calming Potion."

Draco seated himself reluctantly and sipped at the steaming liquid. "Dad and Mum, huh?" he smirked.

"Yeah. Lyrica said I ought to try and get used to it for when the Wizarding Children Services visit. It still feels a little weird, and it doesn't help that I call Sev... Dad professor outside of the apartment."

"I know the feeling. So, WCS is definitely coming?"

Harry nodded. "They like Mum, but they're not real fond of Dad."

"I can see that," smirked Draco, "Kind of odd that the Boy-Who-Lived is the son of an ex-Death Eater."

Both boys drank their tea in silence until Snape emerged from the bedroom, adjusting his teaching robes on his shoulders. "Harry, I'd like you to spend the day with Hermione and Ron. I don't want Lucius Malfoy to get anywhere near you."

"I'll go meet them for breakfast," agreed Harry as he rose from the table. "Can you give Draco a Calming Potion, Dad?" he whispered as he passed Snape. His father nodded. The door closed behind Harry and just as Snape summoned a Calming Potion, the flames in the fireplace rose up and changed from orange to a weak green.

"Severus!" came the Headmaster's voice. "I require the presence of you, your wife, and Mr. Malfoy."

"Give us fifteen minutes, Headmaster," Snape replied. The flames returned to their normal colour. Draco was breathing somewhat easier, but he was still very nervous. "Draco, when we go to see the Headmaster, I need you to hold your tongue. Don't greet Lucius, other than with a nod. Stay close to my side."

Draco frowned. "What do you have planned, Severus? Are you really going to kill him?"

"No. Only as a last resort," he smirked. "I have decided to fight Lucius Malfoy legally."

Draco wasn't able to inquire further as a petite, rather orange-haired woman, wearing glasses and dressed in official Ministry robes stepped through the green flames of the Floo. Right behind her came the imposing auror, Kingsley Shacklebolt.

"Good morning, Mr. Snape. Is this the child?" she glanced over at Draco and he smiled weakly.

"This is Draco Malfoy. Draco, I'd like you to meet Emily Zanthera, Deputy Head of Wizarding Childrens Services."

"A slight correction, Mr. Snape. After reading the file you sent me last week, I have been accorded the authority to act on behalf of all WCS." She grinned and tucked a strand of her orange hair behind her ear.

Snape glanced at the tall, black wizard, who nodded at him. "The reason for Auror Shacklebolt's presence, I gather?"

Kingsley spoke, "Lucius Malfoy and I have had dealings in the past. He knows better than to try and best me."

"Severus?" Draco asked, now completely puzzled and wanting answers. "What's going on?"

Snape faced the boy and dropped his hands on the young teenager's shoulders. "I promised to keep you at Hogwarts and under my protection, Draco, and I do not break my promises. No matter what you hear in the Headmaster's office, you must trust me." Draco nodded and swallowed nervously. "If Lucius makes any threatening move towards you, stand behind me, or Lyrica."

"I'm sorry!" Lyrica emerged from the bedroom, dressed in dark blue robes and a lighter blue dress beneath. Her long hair had been neatly plaited into a braid down her back. "I didn't mean to keep everyone waiting."

"Madame Snape?" asked the woman from WCS. Lyrica nodded and smiled. "I'm Emily Zanthera from WCS. I've brought with me Kingsley Shacklebolt from Wizarding Law Enforcement."

Kingsley bowed to Lyrica. "A pleasure to meet you, Madame Snape."

"Thank you, Auror Shacklebolt." Lyrica shifted her gaze to her husband. "Are we ready?"

Snape nodded and threw the Floo powder into the fireplace. "Headmaster Dumbledore's Office!"

Whatever the Headmaster and his aristocratic guest were talking about was silenced as the Potions Master and his curious entourage stepped through the Floo.

Lucius Malfoy's grey-blue eyes darted from his son, to Snape and the stately woman in dark blue beside him, and then to the familiar face of Auror Shacklebolt. The woman that was a bit dwarfed by the adults. Although it appeared she had a vapid smile on her face, he could see the bite of steel to it when she looked his way. She was not at all intimidated by him.

"What is going on here?" demanded Lucius. "Draco! Come over here!"

Lyrica slipped an arm over Draco's shoulders and he pulled in closer to her. The movement was not lost upon the elder Malfoy and his eyes narrowed dangerously.

"Severus?" asked Dumbledore wondering what was going on also. "Can you explain the presence of an Auror and the Deputy Head of the WCS Adoption Services?"

Snape didn't answer, but looked over to Ms. Zanthera. The small woman stepped boldly forward and placed a folder on the Headmaster's desk.

"I am here on behalf of the entire WCS, Professor Dumbledore. A week ago I received a request from Draco Malfoy asking for permanent removal from his parents custody."

"You did what?" roared Lucius towards his son. Draco leaned in tighter against Lyrica and Snape moved smoothly closer to protect the boy. "Is this your doing Severus?"

"I believe you should curtail your temper, Lucius, and allow Ms. Zanthera to finish." A slight flick of his wrist showed Lucius that Snape's wand was out and he was prepared to take the man on, even in the Headmaster's office and in front of an Auror.

Lucius barely suppressed the rage within himself and turned a stony gaze upon the small witch. Emily only smiled sweetly and continued to address the Headmaster. "Young Mr. Malfoy's request came attached with a letter from his Head of House, Severus Snape, medical files from Madame Poppy Pomfrey, and a detailed listing of abuses perpetrated upon Draco Malfoy's person by Lucius Malfoy. These were injuries that were treated by Madame Pomfrey and Professor Snape during the course of the child's attendance at Hogwarts. Along with those documented injuries, there were further injuries, unfortunately undocumented, alleged at least from the time Draco Malfoy was four years old. We have contacted an expert in Forensic Medicine to perform a forensic medical history scan on Draco Malfoy. Healer Andre Palau will be meeting us here in about five minutes. If the exam even bears witness to half of what's in Mr. Snape's list of abuses, or Madame Pomfrey's medical history, Auror Shacklebolt is here to detain Lucius Malfoy."

"This is outrageous!" exploded the elder Malfoy. "He's my son! You have no bloody right to take him from me!"

The tall Shacklebolt had speed that no one would have guessed. He was standing in front of the blonde-haired wizard with his wand to the man's throat. "I won't take your wand, yet, sir, but if there are anymore uncontrolled outbursts, I will take it. Now sit down."

Lucius Malfoy was no longer looking at his son, but at Snape. Lesser men had delivered themselves unto evil under that look. Snape appeared unimpressed by it. It was Snape's own emotionless, yet utter confidence, that unnerved Lucius. When Snape's gaze hardened and settled upon the elder Malfoy, it was the look that frightened the most deviant of Death Eaters. In Severus Snape's coal black cold eyes, Lucius saw the foreshadowing of his own death. Snape then looked down at Draco, his eyes full of protection and his love for his godson. Draco's hand slipped into Snape's.

The Floo whooshed into green flames allowing a tall, older wizard in Healing robes into the Headmaster's office. Emily Zanthera greeted him. "Healer Palau, thank you for coming on such short notice." He bowed slightly. Emily led the older man over to Draco. "This is Draco Malfoy, the boy in question."

"I do not give permission for this invasion of my son's privacy!" shouted Lucius. He was not about to endure another glare from the Head of Slytherin House. To his consternation, Kingsley laid a heavy hand on on his shoulder and forced him down, firmly, into the chair behind him.

"Not another word, Malfoy," warned the Auror. "This is all legal, so shut up."

Healer Palau hadn't even spared a glance for the boy's father. He directed Draco and Lyrica, over to an area of the office that wasn't quite as crowded as the main area was. "If I may have silence!" ordered the Healer.

The Forensic Medical History Exam wasn't at all painful, but it was very boring and seemed to take hours. Twice more Kingsley had to slam the elder Malfoy back into his chair. The last time he did it, he took the furious man's snake-headed cane, which held his wand, and very quietly threatened to snap the wand in two if the man didn't sit still.

Finally the scan was done and Draco and Lyrica moved to stand beside Snape again. Emily Zanthera spoke up and inquired, "Your report, Healer?"

The Healer slipped into a reporting trance and began detailing injuries Draco had received from the time he was four years old. His earlier injuries were relatively minor compared to the multiple fractures, broken bones, burns, and applications of both the Cruciatus Curse and the Imperious Curse that appeared after his tenth birthday.

As each injury was related, Draco at first felt ashamed, but as he looked upon his father's unrepentant, and thoroughly hateful face, the boy began to get angry. At one point the office began to sizzle with a surge of the adolescent's wild magic. At that point, Snape drew Draco against his side and whispered something into the boy's ear. The surge of magic faded, but Draco's look of anger never moved from the stone visage of Lucius Malfoy's patrician exterior.

The recitation of injuries was finished and the Healer came out of his trance. "If the WCS decides to remove Draco Malfoy from his home, I shall support the decision."

Emily smiled gratefully and handed the Healer a document to sign. With a flourish he signed the document and then aimed a thoroughly disgusted glare at Lucius Malfoy. The man then bowed to the Headmaster, stepped to the fireplace, threw in a handful of Floo powder, and disappeared back to St. Mungos.

"At this time, Auror Shacklebolt, I would like to call upon your services of the WLE and ask that you take Lucius Malfoy into custody. In addition to granting Draco Malfoy's request, I will also be filing criminal charges against Lucius Malfoy for abuse and the illegal use of Unforgivables on a minor."

"You can't...!" Lucius jumped up and began to shout.

The Auror cast a silencing spell and a modified bonding spell that drew the outraged wizard's hands behind his back. Madame Zanthera nodded to the tall Auror. He then walked to the fireplace, threw in the Floo powder and soon had Lucius on his way to a holding cell at the Ministry.

"Well, he's taken care of," smiled Emily with evident cheer. "Now for you, young Draco. As you are only fourteen years of age, you are in need of a guardian..."

Draco interrupted, "Where's my mother?"

"Your mother is currently in hiding for her protection, she has asked that Severus Snape, as your godfather, and his wife, Lyrica Snape, become your legal guardians. I just need to check, for formalities sake, mind you, if this would be an acceptable arrangement to you?"

Draco's mind was getting ready to shut down from an overload of good news. His glances darted between Lyrica and Snape until finally the latter nudged his shoulder. "If you'd prefer the Headmaster, I'm certain..." began Snape with a snide expression on his face.

Dumbledore chuckled at the stricken look on the youngster's face. "No! I mean, yes! It would be acceptable, Ms. Zanthera! It would!"

Emily smiled and withdrew from her folder, more paperwork. "Let us make this official, then!"


It was at least another half hour of paperwork and some congratulatory tea before Snape, his wife, and their newest son returned to their quarters. Draco, exhausted both physically, emotionally, and mentally, collapsed on the sofa. Lyrica went into the small kitchen to brew her special, herbal, hot chocolate.

As Snape sat down, Draco leaned forward and addressed his godfather. "You wrote to my mother, Severus?"

"I knew that any plan I came up with to get you away from your father would require equal protection for your mother."

"She's safe then? Well?" he asked rapidly.

"Narcissa is getting the help she needed a long time ago, and she is, indeed, safe. Her exact whereabouts have been given to a Secret Keeper." Snape took a folded piece of parchment from his breast pocket and handed it to Draco. "Narcissa wrote to you. You can reply, but you must be careful about what you say. I suggest you bring any letters you write to me, and if there is something that shouldn't be there, you can rewrite it. Under no circumstances are you to owl your mother. Along with the Secret Keeper, I have engaged an untraceable owling service to deliver correspondence."

"Thank you so much, Severus," said Draco tucking the letter into his robe pocket. "Did you know they were going to arrest Lucius?"

"I had a very strong suspicion that they might, which is why I chose to ambush Lucius this way. If he'd had any idea what was going to happen, he would have had all his contacts at his beck and call."

Draco leaned back on the sofa. "Do you think he could win this trial?"

"Healer Palau's testimony is going to be next to impossible to refute, Draco. His references are impeccable and his reputation is flawless. The fact that Palau is also a Pureblood will mean that Lucius cannot bring in any racist defense." Snape sighed heavily and leaned forward in his chair. "However, it will be difficult because of who Lucius is."

Draco understood the trial was going to be rough. Lucius Malfoy had connections everywhere and there were no doubt people who hated Severus Snape that would paint a decided slanderous depiction of his godfather. He could only hope for the best. "You did this all in a week?" exclaimed Draco, highly impressed.

Snape smiled smugly, "I do my best work under pressure."

Lyrica came into the sitting room and handed Draco and Snape each a cup of hot chocolate. "Under pressure? Is that what I owe my whirlwind hand-fasting to?"

Snape grasped his wife's hand and pulled her down to his lap. "I was making up for lost time, wife. I was hardly under pressure." Lyrica kissed his brow and then took his cup of hot chocolate back for sip.

"Gah! You two are soppy!"

Snape took a sip of his chocolate and then sneered, "Fine. Leave me to my soppy wife and go find Harry. You might as well tell him he has a brother now."

Draco sniggered and took another long sip of the chocolate drink. "This'll be fun." Putting down the cup, he started to leave the Snapes quarters through the hidden door. He paused. "Severus, I was just thinking. You know Ms. Zanthera said I was fourteen? I'm closer to fifteen, though. With the time we spent back in time, we're all older than what everyone thinks."

"Does that bother you, Draco?" he asked steadily.

Draco shook his head. "It doesn't bother me. It just feels like its been a very long year." The blonde boy finally just shrugged his shoulders. "I'll see you later." He sniggered, "Mum and Dad." Draco chuckled as he left. "Boy, now that's weird. But, cool!"

Once he was gone, Lyrica commented, "Severus, if you adopt anymore teenagers, I doubt we'll have room for a baby."

Snape almost dropped his mug of cocoa. "Lyrica... you're not...?"

She smiled secretively, and leaned down to kiss his cheek. "As a Potions Master, my love, you should know that's impossible when your wife has been taking a contraceptive potion."

"Oh." Of course, he thought, I'd forgotten she'd been taking the potion once a week. Snape was rather surprised to register the disappointment he felt.

Lyrica smiled gently and stroked Snape's cheek lightly with her fingertips. "We now have two sons, Severus. Are you sure you'd like to have a baby?"

"As odd as it feels for me to admit, I would not mind adding a baby to our already large family." He chuckled lightly. "I would hate for our son or daughter to wind up with this nose, though."

"Severus! Really. You told me your nose had been broken several times. I'm quite certain that children do not inherit broken noses." She leaned down and kissed the bridge of his nose. "I would love to give you a fine son, or a beautiful daughter, my husband, but we shall wait until we know HE is gone."

Snape sighed heavily drawing his wife closer. Refusing to dwell upon the inevitable, he chose, instead, to savor the moment. Pulling Lyrica gently toward himself, he kissed her, reveling in the blossom of pleasure, secure in his wife's love for him.


Draco was fighting with the Fat Lady outside the Gryffindor common room and he was beginning to feel like kicking someone. "I don't have the password," he said for the fourth time. "Just tell Potter I need to see him."

"Sorry, dear, I'm not an owl," she tittered at her own joke.

Draco scowled, "Listen you fat cow..." The portrait swung open abruptly, smacking him square in the face. It then shut just as quickly. "OW! You did that on purpose you canvas full of rancid paint!"

"Oh my! I was only going to let you in dear," the Fat Lady smirked. "I suppose that hurts quite a bit, does it?"

"D-d-draco? You okay?"

The Slytherin spun around to come face-to-face with the nervous Neville Longbottom. "Do I look okay?" His nose wasn't broken, but it did hurt.

"You s-s-seem okay to me. What do you want?"

"Potter."

"Hang on, I'll tell him you're out here." Neville whispered the password to the Fat Lady and Draco quickly stepped back as the portrait swung aside. Neville disappeared inside and the portrait closed. Draco sneered at the Fat Lady, but she only smiled at him.

A few minutes later Harry was peering out from behind the Fat Lady's portrait. "What do you want, Malfoy?" sneered Harry for anyone that might be watching.

"Room of Requirement. Bring Ron and Hermione." Draco spun on his heel and left.

Draco had requested a place to sit down and have tea. The Room of Requirement had provided a cosy sitting room with plush, overstuffed chairs, and a warm fire. A silver tea service sat in the middle of a circle of four chairs. While he waited for his friends' arrival, he poured the tea into china cups.

"What's going on, Draco?" asked Harry as he, Hermione, and Ron stepped into the room.

Draco smiled. "Sit down! I have good news." Just as Harry took a cup of tea handed to him by the blonde boy, Draco was suddenly enveloped in Hermione's sweet embrace. He took a moment to hold her tight, and to kiss her. Reluctantly he let the pretty Gryffindor go. With a slight blush, he handed Hermione a cup of tea.

Harry smirked, a twinkle in his green eyes. Ron just rolled his. "If you two do that again, I'm leaving," muttered Ron.

"I'll be happy to escort you right on out," smiled Draco. "But, good news first."

"Is there bad news?" asked Harry, effectively derailing Draco's announcement.

Draco scowled. "What? No. Now shut up."

"You did say 'good news first'," piped up Ron. "That, of course, implies there is bad news."

"It's just a saying," he growled. "There is no bad news... well, not really."

"So, what's the bad news, then?" asked Harry.

Draco took out his wand and pointed it menacingly at each boy. "Mention bad news again and I'll hex your legs short." He sheathed his wand. "Now shut up and listen to my great news!"

Ron and Harry broke out into laughter. Harry sobered first. "Go on, Draco, what's up?"

Draco smiled slyly, his grey gaze mesmerising Harry. "You've got yourself a brother... brother."

"Huh?" Harry blinked.

"Sev adopted you?" asked Ron. "How'd he do that?"

Draco proceeded to relate to his friends the events in the Headmaster's office. "Severus really didn't have to say a thing. It was boom, gotcha, boom, gotcha, over and over again." Draco chuckled. "You should have seen the look on Lucius face when Shacklebolt took his cane."

"Mad?" asked Ron.

"Furious."

"Uncle Severus did all of that in a week?" asked Hermione. Draco nodded. "Wow, that is just really impressive."

"So you're official, then?" asked Harry.

Draco smiled. "I am. But, I think you might be, too, Harry. Ms. Zanthera had Severus and Lyrica sign off on some extra paperwork."

"This is all great," said Ron, "but even if you're Sev's kid now, you're still in danger, aren't you?"

"Ron," began Harry, "Severus just put the biggest Death Eater in Azkaban for child abuse. Keeping him there, despite Dad's knowledge of the law, is going to be difficult. It's also not a life sentence, so I doubt he'd get a Dementor's Kiss."

Hermione added, "Not to mention those children in Slytherin whose parents are Death Eaters could cause trouble."

"So what happens now?" asked Ron. The question was unanswered since none of them had any idea what was next.

Draco stood up, yanked Harry to his feet, and slapped an arm over the shorter boy's shoulder. "Brother Mine, let's go talk with mum and dad!"


When they reached Snape's quarters, they found the secret door solidly warded shut. Harry stared at the space that looked no different from the stone walls that surrounded them. Draco leaned against the wall and glanced sideways at Harry.

"You know what they're doing in there," Draco smirked.

Harry scowled. "I really don't want to think about that!"

"At least they locked the door and put up silencing charms," muttered Ron. "Do you know how many times my parents forgot?" The redhead shuddered.

"My parents didn't have magic," sniggered Hermione. "I just turned up the volume on my music."

Harry stomped away. "I'm going flying until dinner," he said a little too loudly. "Anyone joining me?"

"Let's have a race!" crowed Draco following Harry. "Hermione? You'll cheer me on, right?"

"Of course, love," she smiled as Draco kissed her nose.

"Oy! Would you two stop it?" groaned Ron. The redhead then looked over at Harry. "Know what I think, mate?"

"What Ron?" Harry smiled.

"The way those two are going... bet they have more kids than my mum and dad!" Ron immediately broke into a sprint down the dungeon corridor with Draco right behind him. Hermione, laughing, followed and Harry just grinned and ran.


Wizarding Children Services finalised the adoptions for Harry James Potter and Draco Malfoy by the first week of December. Lucius Malfoy's trial for abuse of his son would take place after the Christmas holidays. Draco didn't have to hide his friendship with Dumbledore's 'Golden Trio', but he was hardly out of danger. He was teased on a daily basis by those in Slytherin who had parents that were known Death Eaters. Teasing he could endure, but the real trouble showed up a week before the holidays began.

Pansy Parkinson, who had latched onto Draco from their very first day at Hogwarts was incensed to discover that Draco had feelings for a Muggle-born, and not just any Muggle-born, but Hermione Granger. Death Eater parents or no, Pansy was a jealous, girl who did her best to provoke the majority of the teasing that occurred during the day. When the teasing didn't get the reaction she'd hoped for (lessons with Snape in Occlumency were helping Draco keep his temper) she decided to set her sights upon Hermione.

The time before the holidays was a busy one for exams and Hermione, ever the good student, was busy most hours studying in the library. She was usually with Ron, Harry, or Draco, but a particular charm she had to do an essay on was giving her trouble. As soon as class ended for the day, she headed to the library. Harry had an Occlumens lesson, Ron went to go work on an essay and Draco had Quidditch practice. Usually they tried to stick together, but today it didn't work out.

Hermione, her nose buried in her book never heard Pansy padding softly up behind the young Gryffindor. The curse caught her square in the back and Pansy was off and running before she could be stopped by anyone.

On the Quidditch field, Draco, the Seeker, was doing a fine job until he realised that he had become the object of the game. The Snitch forgotten, Draco had a wild time on his broom dodging the Bludgers his teammates sent after him. A part of him found it rather exhilarating to fly so fast and so well. He wouldn't have minded keeping up the pace for the rest of the afternoon, but as he caught a glimpse of Snape running out towards the Quidditch pitch in an apparant panic, it was enough to distract him. He ducked one bludger, only to be hit by another one that cracked into his shoulder and sent him toppling from his broom.

"Oh crap!" yelled Thomas Bole who had sent the Bludger that hit Draco. "Derrick!" he screamed at the other Beater.

Dorian Derrick swept up alongside Bole and with their wands together they cast the levitation spell they'd learned in their first year. The two players had done this trick for teammates in the past that had fallen from their brooms and they performed the spell flawlessly. Draco's rapid descent was stopped just a few feet from the ground. The Captain, Marcus Flint, flew towards his Beaters.

"Snape's down there, you idiots! Next time take your vendetta to the halls!" he snarled angrily. Spinning his broom around, he headed down to the ground.

Severus Snape, the Head of Slytherin House was so furious with the three students from his house that had attacked Hermione and had nearly killed Draco that he took 200 points from Slytherin, throwing them into the negative. All three were given a months worth of detention. Bole and Derrick were further banned from flying for a month, which meant they couldn't play the upcoming Quidditch game against Ravenclaw. Pansy had been detained after the Head of Slytherin House dismissed Bole and Derrick. Hermione had been seriously wounded and could be scarred for the rest of her life. Such a curse that Pansy had used could well get her expelled, but Snape worried that in doing so, it would put the naive girl right into the hands of the Dark Lord. He had another punishment in mind that he strongly hoped would get through to the child.

"I might have known," Snape drawled dangerously as he stood over a quailing Pansy. The dark-haired girl couldn't recall having seen her Head of House so frighteningly angry before. "You vicious little excuse for a child!" His voice cut across her nerves like a razor and she cringed. "Tell me, Miss Parkinson, how did a fourth year, who is barely passing Charms, manage to cast a seventh year, burning curse?"

"You don't know it was me!" she squeaked angrily and stomped her small foot.

"Oh, but I do know, Miss Parkinson." Snape had easily seen the little bint's triumphant casting of the burning curse in her vapid mind. "What you don't seem to realise is that you are in a very... precarious... situation." He loomed over the small girl like a hawk preparing to snatch its prey from the air. Pansy tried to step backwards, but only ran into one of the office chairs. She fell into it, only making herself smaller, and a trapped target. "Your machinations injured my son and the girl he cares very deeply about."

"I'm his girlfriend! Not some bushy-haired, plain, Mudblood!"

Snape raised his hand and Pansy, certain he was going to strike her, raised her arms protectively over her face. Peeking between her forearms, she found his long index finger pointing at her. "You are a pathetic, whiny, insignificant child! You are an irritant and your simpering voice and your penchant for clinging like a flobberworm is disgusting! Do you fancy yourself in service to the Dark Lord as some little, Pureblood princess that he'll fawn over? I know of another woman who was very much like you when she was a child. She dances in her cell in Azkaban every night professing her mad love for the Dark Lord. She's tortured Muggle and Pureblood alike merely to entertain herself. Will you become like her, Miss Parkinson?"

Pansy was trembling and her voice shook as she asked, "Wh-wh-who are you t-t-talking about, Professor?"

"You know precisely of whom I speak, Miss Parkinson. Your mother..."

"What about my mother?" she demanded.

"She's been limping since you were a babe, correct?" Pansy nodded, her confusion evident upon her priggish features. "A magical injury that could not be fixed with magic."

"M-m-mum's leg was shattered..."

"I know, Miss Parkinson. By a Bone Shattering Curse wielded by Bellatrix LeStrange when your mother did the one, brave, thing she'd ever done in her high-born life." Titania Parkinson was a fragile woman, but she had the heart of a Gryffindor. By denigrating her beloved mother, it was crucial, and cruel tactic, in Snape making his point to the little Slytherin princess as he lectured her.

This information caught Pansy's attention. Of course she knew of her mother's limp, but her mother never spoke of it. Her mother had never told her how it had happened, other than it was an accident. "What did my mum do, Professor?"

Pulling his robes close to himself as he straightened, Snape folded away his menacing mask and seated himself at his desk. "The Dark Lord wanted all the Pureblood families united to his cause. Those few families, such as yours, protested..."

"My parents weren't cowards! You're wrong!"

"Miss Parkinson!" he snapped, going from lecture mode to a frightening Mr. Hyde in the blink of an eye. Pansy slammed her back against the back of the chair. Snape's features softened, only a little. His gaze narrowed warningly, "Don't interrupt me. Keep your mouth shut. And. Listen." Pansy clamped her teeth together and nodded. "The Parkinsons, although considered Pureblood, are not as old as some of the other families. As well you know, there are Ravenclaw and Gryffindor members in your ancestry. You are the first Slytherin in six generations, Miss Parkinson. After what you did today, you have not brought honour to Slytherin, but have only added to the Dark reputation that hangs about it like a Sticking Charm." Pansy started to open her mouth to ask a question, but he held up a hand in warning. "It was the Dark Lord's goal to not only bring all the Pureblood families together into his fold, but to encourage them to procreate for the benefit of his cause. Your father disagreed both with the Dark Lord's philosophy and his barbaric plans to re-populate the wizarding world in Pure blood. He made the decision to leave the country to protect himself and his young wife and child. The Dark Lord and his Death Eaters consider that cowardly. It is NEVER a cowardly act to protect one's family."

"Please, Professor," Pansy spoke as quietly as she could. "What did my mum do?"

"Your parents were preparing to leave when your home was invaded by Bellatrix LeStrange. The mad woman wanted a baby, a daughter, to present to her Dark Lord, but there were complications. Possibly her, possibly her husband. Regardless, it might have been something I could have fixed, but Bella was never one for patience and would certainly never bow down to ask for my help. Instead, she chose to take a pureblood child. She chose you as her child and it was her intention to take you from your mother's arms and to kill her. Your father was nearly killed that night from several cutting curses..."

"His scars?" she whispered. To this day Alexander Parkinson wore a pale cross of scarring upon his face and down the left side of his neck. Hidden beneath Pansy's father's clothing was worse scarring that criss-crossed his chest and abdomen. Pansy never knew under what circumstances her father had received his scars.

Snape nodded. "Bella was certain she'd killed your father, and it's possible your mother thought he was dead as well. Your mother's spellwork and dueling skills were practically non-existent, yet so fierce was her love for you, her baby daughter, she fought an opponent, clearly insane, with much greater skill than her and injured her to the point that Bella could only save herself by running away. By then, your mother's leg was irreparably damaged. What mattered was that you were safe, and within twenty-four hours of receiving treatment, both your parents were on their way to France and to safety."

"They never told me!" cried Pansy as she swiped at a tear. "They never answer any of my questions. They just tell me I am to marry well. Why couldn't they have told me all of this?" More tears appeared and she began to sniffle.

"That is why I call your parents cowardly, Miss Parkinson." He floated a silk cotton handkerchief over to the girl. "Instead of hiding from what they did so long ago, this is something they should have told you, not me, your teacher. I understand that your parents are worried about the rise of the Dark Lord and concerned that they have a daughter in Slytherin who is surrounded by the offspring of those men and women who would not think twice of taking their lives for the glory of the Dark Lord. To leave you in the dark, ignorant of the evils around you, and that of your past, only sends you into the arms of that which your mother once fought to keep you from."

Snape rose from his desk and stood over Pansy once more. "You are a Slytherin, Miss Parkinson. Just as there is honour within the other houses, so there is in ours. Don't allow yourself to be ruled by jealousy and what others say. Learn to think for yourself and then look to your allies."

"Are you saying that even a Mud... I mean, a Muggle-born could be an ally?"

"Miss Granger is a most powerful and intelligent witch, Miss Parkinson. You would do well to learn from her example and to befriend her. You appear as a flighty thing with only marriage on your mind, when I know better. You have the skill, the talent, and you certainly have the ability to be more than a 'trophy wife' to a powerful wizard."

"You called me pathetic, whiny and insignificant!" she sniffed away her tears.

"Because that is what you allow everyone to see, Miss Parkinson, and your actions today only add fuel to the fire. You are very fortunate that Miss Granger did not die from the curse you hit her with. It is a Dark curse that requires much more anger and hatred than you put behind it to do serious damage. As a consequence I have decided that you will be assigned as a nursing assistant during Miss Granger's recovery under the supervision of Madame Snape. Needless to say, your patient will be Miss Granger. Come along."

"Sir?" she asked, slightly puzzled.

"Stand up, Miss Parkinson. We are going to the infirmary, now."

"B-b-but Draco's there! He'll kill me!"

Snape tapped a finger to his chin. "Yes, he is there. Good. You'll be able to apologise to both of them." Planting his hand firmly against the young Slytherin girl's shoulder, he steered her out of the office and to the infirmary.


Pansy had managed a surprisingly sincere apology to both Hermione and Draco once she and Snape had reached the infirmary. Snape then explained Pansy's punishment to Lyrica who looked ready, for just a brief moment, to strangle the dark-haired girl. After Snape left, Lyrica advanced upon the Slytherin girl and nudged her closer to Hermione.

Hermione was lying down on her stomach. A bleached white, antiseptic, gauze cloth was laid over the burn that covered most of Hermione's back. A pain relieving potion had helped to dull the worst of the pain, but Hermione's skin, as it healed, was incredibly sensitive..

"Hermione, my dear, Pansy is going to be here with us during your recovery. She is going to be your personal nurse. Not your elf, mind you, but your nurse, so do treat her accordingly."

"I will, Madame Snape," Hermione said through half-lidded eyes as she watched the young girl beside Lyrica.

Lyrica then turned to Pansy. "Have you ever seen the effects of the particular burn curse you cast, child?"

Pansy shook her head, her eyes wide as she stared at the Gryffindor girl's back. "No, Madame."

"Hermione, I'm going to show your wound to Miss Parkinson since she will be the one applying your burn salve." Hermione just buried her face in her pillow. Carefully Lyrica removed the gauze cloth and Pansy gasped as she saw the blackened and angry red skin which was a perfect circle over the upper half of the girl's back. Lyrica pointed at a clay pot. "Hand me that jar, Miss Parkinson." Pansy did so, and saw that it was burn salve. She handed it to Madame Snape. "This is Grade 4 Burn Salve which is generally used for high level first degree burns and second degree burns. When you apply it, be generous with the salve." The older witch scooped up a good portion of the sickly yellow coloured cream. "When you smooth it on, try to keep your hand off the wound as much as possible. Don't use pressure." Hermione let out a muffled wail as the salve was touched to her back. It cut off sharply. "Hermione is taking a Pain Relieving Potion, but even with that, the skin is very sensitive. So, try to be quick, and talk to her quietly as you're applying it." Lyrica finished the application of what she had on her hand and then handed the clay jar to Pansy. "Finish the job, Miss Parkinson."

Pansy swallowed the bile that rose up in her throat, but did as she was told. Her first touch to Hermione's back elicited another moan of pain that stabbed through Pansy's heart. She spoke softly, "I'm almost done, Gran... Hermione. I truly am so very sorry. Almost done... almost done..." She applied the last bit of salve just as Hermione's body shuddered as the girl let out a held breath. Tears glistened at the corners of Pansy's eyes as Lyrica took the jar of salve from her hand.

"Suck it up, Parkinson!" snarled Draco as he saw the tell-tale sign of tears. "You don't get to cry. Not around Hermione."

Pansy gulped and the tears that threatened were gone at once. She didn't look at Draco, but focused her attention on Hogwarts newest Medi-Witch. "After I put the salve on, Madame, what's next?"

"The cheesecloth." Lyrica pointed at a shelf below the table top of the stand next to Hermione's bed. There were a stack of clean, gauze cloths. Pansy picked up one and as Lyrica watched, she shook it out and draped it carefully over the wound. "The gauze is spelled with an antiseptic and to provide protection of the new skin that is growing beneath the salve. The salve needs to be applied every four hours. Hermione is allowed to use the facilities, but escort her. For the rest of the time you will help her with her meals since she's stuck on her belly. I'd like you to also read to her and help her stay caught up with her work. After dinner, you will be brewing the burn salve with Professor Snape as part of your detention."

"H-h-how long will the burn take to heal, Madame?" asked Pansy as she felt Hermione's eyes once again watching her.

"Five days, Miss Parkinson. Go wash your hands and then I want you to visit your and Hermione's teachers to pick up your assignments."

"I'm not going to class?" Pansy asked worriedly.

"Hermione can't and neither can you. Now go, Miss Parkinson."

"Yes, Madame." Pansy cast a guilt-laden look at Hermione before asking her, "Gra... I mean, Hermione, is there anything else I can get you while I'm getting our assignments?"

"I... uhm... can't really think of anything right now, Pansy. Thanks, though." Hermione watched with interest as Pansy nodded and ran out of the infirmary.


Draco was released from the infirmary the next day, but Hermione had to stay. She wasn't at all pleased, at first, to have Pansy Parkinson as her nurse, but as each day passed, Hermione began to change her mind. The girl appeared to be truly sorry for what she'd done.

As for Pansy, she took her care of the Gryffindor girl to heart. It killed her everytime she had to put the burn salve on Hermione's back. The girl was brave, but sometimes, when she was over-tired, her little mewlings would be muffled by her pillow. On the second day of applying the salve, Hermione's skin was ultra sensitive to the point that even the touch of the salve itself caused her pain. Pansy had tried talking soothingly, but that made the injured child angry, which only made the skin more sensitive. Frustrated and ready to start crying herself, Pansy began singing a lullaby her nursery elf used to sing to her. Pansy didn't have the greatest voice in the world, but the hushed, gentle tones served to calm Hermione and the Slytherin nurse was able to do her job.

The rest of the time the girls did their homework together, ate their meals together, and Hermione introduced Pansy to the world of Muggle authors. Pansy may not have been a great singer, but when she wasn't giggling or fawning over someone in that false, high-pitched, childish voice she often used, she had a pleasant reading voice. She read to Hermione the girl's favorite book, Jane Eyre, and Pansy fell in love with the story.

Snape came by daily before lunch and at the end of the day to look in upon Hermione to make certain she was healing well. By the fourth day he was able to give the young girl the good news that she would not bear any scars. Snape even had a grudging compliment for Pansy for having brewed the burn salve to perfection. It was that compliment that had the young Slytherin visiting Professor Snape in his office while he was grading essays just before the holidays began.

The door to the office was open, but Pansy knocked, as was customary. "Enter," said Snape softly without looking up from the pile of first year essays he was working on. Pansy stood before his desk, waiting until she was acknowledged. When Snape finally looked up and put down his quill, he asked, "Was Miss Granger in good spirits this evening, Miss Parkinson?"

Pansy smiled, "Oh yes, Professor. She's excited about being released tomorrow. Madame Snape told me that if I wanted to, I could sleep in the infirmary with Hermione tonight."

"Will you be doing so?" She nodded. "Is that why you needed to see me, Miss Parkinson?"

"Uhm... no, Professor. I was talking to Hermione and she said I really ought to be talking to you since you're my head of house."

Snape sat up straighter. "What is this about, then?"

"Well, I never really thought about doing anything... well, other than getting married after school. I never have had to worry about a job since my parents are wealthy, but I think I would like to do something, sir. Something that matters."

"You'd like to do something other than marry yourself off to an eligible wizard?"

"Yes, sir. You did say I was smart, so do you think I could get a job after school? One I'd be good at?"

This was a question Snape never thought he'd hear from the girl in Slytherin who always seemed to be more concerned with her looks than with her education. "You are an intelligent witch, Miss Parkinson. My general irritation with you lies in the fact that I know you're intelligent, yet you rarely seem to apply yourself to your studies. Your grades, though adequate, would be so much better if you took your education seriously. Is that something you're willing to rectify now?"

"Yes, I am! Hermione's even offered to study with me. She knows the library really well." Snape smirked at that. Hermione ought to live in a library someday.

"Have you given any thought to what it is you would like to work towards, Miss Parkinson? A particular field that interests you?"

"I'd like to be a Healer. Or, if my OWLs aren't high enough, I'd at least like to be a nurse. Specifically, I'd like to work in Childrens Medicine."

Snape considered Pansy Parkinson for so long that she began to shift uneasily on the hard, wooden, office chair. Finally, he leaned forward and spoke quietly, "You do realise, don't you, that the area of Childrens Medicine can be one of the most heart-breaking of studies to work in? It takes someone with great fortitude to work in a field of healing where the lives of innocent children are concerned. Do you think you have that within you, Miss Parkinson?"

"Honestly, Professor, I don't know if I do, but I would like it to be there. I hurt Hermione, terribly. I know now that I could have permanently scarred her, or even killed her. I wanted to weep with her everytime she felt pain, but I didn't allow myself to, because she needed me not to. She needed to know that I was being strong and that I cared. I did cry, later, but Madame Snape said if I didn't cry at all, I wouldn't be human. Do you think I'd be able to do this, Professor? Do you think I could be a Healer?"

Pansy's hands clasped tightly together. She was prepared for her teacher to be blunt and to tell her that she didn't have such strength inside her. It would hurt, but maybe she could find something else to do. Even if it was at the Ministry. She didn't know she was holding her breath until Professor Snape rose from his desk.

"Miss Parkinson, I am proud to hear these words from you. I have no doubt, that as long as you can put your heart and soul into this desire, you shall have what you want. Enjoy your Christmas holiday for when you come back to Hogwarts I want to see you determined and prepared to work hard in all your classes. Your OWLs will be important this year, so I will inquire, on your behalf, if Madame Snape will provide you with tutoring in Charms and Potions that are specific to the Healing Arts."

Pansy could barely contain her excitement. She smiled and let out a nervous giggle. No longer able to sit in the chair, she practically leapt from her seat. "Thank you, Professor! Thank you so very much! May I go and tell Hermione?" Snape nodded once and the dark-headed Slytherin was out of his office before he could blink. Off in the distance he could hear a delighted shout for joy.


"Ouch! Ron!" griped Hermione. "Watch it with that broom!"

"What are you bringing that for, Weasel?" growled Draco. "It's snowing outside!"

"Yeah, but the twins said the stairs are perfect for a broom..." He yelped as his broom leapt from his hand and into Snape's.

"If you even think I'm going to tolerate you idiots flying inside... where's Harry?" Snape looked around and nearly tripped over a large trunk. "Bloody...! Whose trunk is this?"

"Stop your shouting, Severus!" yelled Lyrica from the bedroom. "It's ours!"

Snape and his little family were doing their best (or worst) in getting their trunks together for the holidays. They were going to #12 Grimmauld Place. Snape wasn't terribly happy since he'd learned that morning that Sirius Black and Remus Lupin would be there. Lupin he didn't terribly mind, but he'd dearly love to shove Black into a large snowdrift for the entire holiday. Ron was excited to see his parents, Draco was nervous about spending Christmas with, as he put it, 'a ton of Gryffindors', Hermione seemed a bit withdrawn (no doubt missing her parents, thought Snape) and Harry was so excited about seeing his godfather and Lupin again that he'd been practically bouncing off the walls all morning. Snape made a mental note to curtail the boy's indulgence with sweets before he wound up like Dumbledore.

"HARRY!" bellowed Snape finally losing his temper. "Where the hell is that boy?"

Harry's head popped out from his room. "Dad! Have you seen Kalima?"

"Oh for Merlin's sake, Harry! She's a Naga. She can take care of herself! Now get your trunk out here before I have a stroke." He felt cool fingers against the back of his neck and he turned slightly just as Lyrica kissed his cheek.

"Still want children of our own, Severus?" she teased in a low whisper.

"If they're anything like these four? No. Dammit, Harry...!"

"I'm right here, Dad. What're you shouting for?" Harry smiled and Snape glared down at his son.

"Are you packed?" he asked dangerously. Harry nodded. "Good."

"Yaghhhhhh! Bloody bells!" screeched Draco. Draco had been checking for something in his trunk when Kalima slithered out from the contents.

"Draco! Language!" yelled Snape.

"Kalima!" shouted Harry happily picking up Kalima and draping her over his shoulders.

"I'm gonna kill that..." began Draco. Kalima hissed at Draco.

"I don't want to be in the same room with your snake, Harry," interrupted Ron.

"Serpent, Ron," corrected Harry. "Or Naga. She's not a sn..."

"Silencio!" Snape smiled smugly as everything went blessedly quiet. He glanced around at the various trunks, shrank them, and put them in his pocket. "Front and center," he ordered. The four teens obediently lined up and he scrutinised them. "I expect each of you to be on your best behavior and believe me when I say that if you aren't, we'll be back at Hogwarts before you can blink." He removed the silencing spell. "Harry first, then Draco, Hermione, and then Ron." Lyrica held the box of Floo powder out to them. They both watched as one by one the children vanished into the green flames. Once Ron was gone, Snape took the box of Floo powder from his wife and put it on the fireplace mantle. He then took Lyrica into his arms and kissed her soundly.

"Oh my!" she gasped when he let her up for air. "Whatever was that for, Severus?"

"Considering the crowd we'll be amongst for the next few weeks, I am worried that may be the last time I'll be able to snog my wife." He smirked and Lyrica laughed. Grabbing a handful of Floo powder, he threw it in and shouted, "#12 Grimmauld Place!"