Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 82

Professor Filius Flitwick held a small ball of Bluebell Flame in the palm of his hand. This was a normal Bluebell Flame that gave off warmth but did not burn. Draco and Hermione held similar balls of the blue flame in the palms of their hands. They watched carefully as the small professor waved his wand and chanted a lengthy spell.

"Ansteuern in drei Tage!" he ended the charm and a sphere of transparent, shimmering purple encased the flame.

"That's not Latin, professor," observed Hermione.

"Right you are, Miss Granger. My German ancestry suffices when I need to create a charm quickly. Had I more time, I would have come up with a Latin Intent phrase, but time isn't exactly what we have in abundance now."

Draco nodded in agreement. He held out his wand. "What was the phrase again, sir?"

Flitwick pronounced carefully, "It is Ansteuern in drei Tage. It means, 'Activate in three days'. If we need more days, we just change the word 'drei' to the appropriate number." He then slowly demonstrated the complicated wand movement. "You'll want to begin the intonation of the spell on the down-swing... here. Match the rhythm of the spell to the rhythm of the wand movements. The last vowel of Tage needs to end with the final up-swing. Let's practice a few times, first."

Flitwick took his two students through the spell that would suspend activation of the Bluebell Flame Landmine for three days. After a few minutes, they each had a flame encased in the shimmering, purple sphere.

"Impressive! You're both quite good at Charms. This is something that an apprentice would take at least a week to master."

"Thank you, Professor Flitwick," smiled Hermione.


Learning the complicated charm Professor Flitwick had taught them was fun, but performing it as many times as they needed to in order to plant enough landmines where they were needed was annoying and boring.

Draco slumped backwards and stared up at the ceiling of the Room of Requirement. He and Hermione were surrounded by at least 50 Bluebell Landmines.

Hermione dropped her wand and lay down so her head was on Draco's chest. "My wrist hurts."

"How many more of these things do we need?" Draco asked.

"Dumbledore calculated that we'd need 500." Draco groaned dramatically and slipped a hand through Hermione's curls. "Draco, we need help with this."

"Ron can pick up this charm quickly. So can Milli and Luna. Pansy's never been too great with complicated charms."

"Neville's better with plants," added Hermione.

They were both quiet for a few minutes. Hermione turned until she was on her stomach and she was able to kiss Draco and distract him. He welcomed the distraction and shifted so he could comfortably wrap his arms around the Gryffindor girl.

Hermione soon pulled slightly away. Draco smiled at her bright eyes and flushed cheeks. "Two more years," he sighed in mock pain. "It's going to be torture, My."

Hermione laughed sweetly. "And it's not torture for me? Maybe Uncle Severus will let us marry at sixteen."

"Now that's an impossible dream and you know it," scoffed Draco. "He expects us both to finish school." He gave her a good imitation of Snape's scowl. "There will be NO distractions, Miss Granger."

She laughed. "Ahhh I can dream, can't I?" She flopped back onto her back with her head upon his chest. Draco draped his arm over her waist and with his other hand he wrapped a curl around his finger.

"I suppose you can." He stared again at the ceiling losing himself in the sensation of Hermione beside him, her light, woodsy perfume, and the verbena scent of her hair. "My, am I being too traditional in waiting until I can court you the wizarding way with your father's permission?"

"Not at all, Dray," she trailed her fingers lightly over his bare arm that was draped over her waist. "Part of what I love about the wizarding world is its old world manners. Ladies and gentlemen are so very elegant, courtly, I suppose. You might think it's silly, but I really get tickled every time you open a door or hold out a chair for me. I can't wait to see my dad's face when you ask him to court me." Hermione pulled his hand up and she kissed his knuckles. "I also can't wait to be formally courted."

Draco chuckled and the sound thrummed under her head. "Does this mean you're going to want a huge wedding?"

"Oh, Merlin, no!" Hermione twisted and sat up so she could look down at Draco. She brushed his pale hair off his face. "I just want our parents there, our friends, and I really hope that Elydree can be there, too."

Draco stretched up his hand and stroked Hermione's cheek with his fingertips. He then picked up her hand and held it tightly between both of his. "Hermione, I've been wondering about something... uhm... I talked to dad about it, but he told me I'd have to eventually talk to you and maybe we should now."

"What's worrying you, love?" she asked softly.

"Do you follow any of the Muggle religions? I mean, would our kids have to be raised, you know, believing what you do?" He closed his eyes and grimaced. He could kick himself! That came out so awkwardly and maybe even a bit insulting.

"Religion has always fascinated me, but I don't follow any particular Muggle religion. I've never really thought deeply about what I was, but I suppose, from the Muggle side of things I'm an atheist." She saw Draco's look of puzzlement. "Basically it means I don't believe in God."

"Do you believe in Merlin? Circe? or Nimue?"

"Well, Circe was a Greek goddess, so that would make her like the Muggle god, so I don't believe in her. However, Nimue and Merlin were both real and they're both highly revered in the wizarding world." Hermione sighed as she saw the tell-tale glazing over of Draco's grey eyes that meant she was treading on the edge of getting into too much explanation. "I think it's more important that our children grow up with the freedom to believe in whatever they wish and we support them."

"Even if one of our kids wanted to live in the Muggle world?"

"Yes. Whatever they want to do, or to be. Isn't that more important than what we believe?"

Draco pulled himself up and faced Hermione. "You know, My, it is. Every generation of my family had to believe what the father believed. There was no choice. Lucius is out to kill me because I don't believe the way he does and in his eyes, I'm destroying the Malfoy name."

"You're a good man, Draco. You'll restore your family name to greatness, as will our children." She leaned over and kissed him.

Draco scooted closer and drew Hermione into his arms.


Remus and Sirius had been arguing loud enough for everyone in Grimmauld Place to hear. It was Snape who finally shut them both up.

"Bellatrix Lestrange was as dangerous, if not more so than the Dark Lord, Lupin, so quit trying to justify why Black should have let that bit... that mad witch live. Her death weakens the Dark Lord further and has put Lucius where we need him."

"She destroyed Alice and Frank, Remus," Sirius spat. "The witch bathed in the blood of her victims."

Remus dropped onto the couch. "Fine. She's dead, so I suppose it doesn't matter anymore."

Albus patted the younger man's shoulder. "It is a pity that Bella became what she did, my boy, but now we need to concentrate on the future. Are you ready to take up Lucius' mantle?"

Remus sighed heavily and ran his hand through his sandy brown and grey hair. "Do you have the Polyjuice, Severus?"

"It will be ready by tonight. Now, don't forget, this is a modified version that will last a week. The transition is more painful, but since you deal once a month with the wolf transition, you won't find it much different," explained Snape. "Black, you can take the regular Polyjuice, if you wish, or you can take the week long formulation."

Black interrupted, only nodding peripherally at Snape's offer of choice in potions, "What about the Dark Mark? I know we can fake it, but isn't the Dark Dork going to know it's not real?"

"Although the Dark Mark itself is a complex piece of Dark Magic, we can mimic its properties by connecting a false one to Lucius' mark," Snape continued. "In his weakened state, the Dark Lord isn't going to be that concerned with anyone's mark. Without Nagini to keep him alive, he's going to need Lucius to brew the potions he needs until he can capture me."

Remus frowned in doubt. "Severus, you do recall that I didn't do well in Potions?"

"And if you recall, neither did Lucius," sneered Snape. "Regardless of his anger towards Lucius and his failures, the Dark Lord trusts Lucius implicitly. Although he knows that Lucius' skill with potions is not up to my calibre, Malfoy is the only one, now that Bella's dead, that he trusts to brew what he needs."

"I'd hate to see how Moldy Voldie treats those he doesn't trust," muttered Sirius.

"Let's just say that after the Dark Lord was finished with traitors, there wasn't enough left to scrape up onto a spoon," quipped Snape darkly. Both Sirius and Remus looked a little green.

Snape moved from the wall he'd been leaning against and disappeared into the kitchen for some coffee. Remus turned to Sirius and smirked, "Dark Dork? Where did you get that one from?"

Sirius chuckled conspiratorially. "You remember that pretty witch in Flourish & Blotts, Mikee Rickman? She not only has pretty blue eyes, but she has a sarcastic streak that's much more endearing than Snape's."


Sirius Black, Polyjuiced as Remus Lupin, could not believe how small the first years were. Since there were no first year Gryffindors, and only three Slytherins, all sixteen first years were combined in one class. He couldn't believe he'd ever been that young, and that small.

Lupin's first through third years were learning all about Dark creatures and learning basic shielding spells. They'd dealt with Boggarts, Spinning Gnats, Shadow Wasps, and today's lesson was how to confront and destroy Bed Monsters.

All the little first years sat down quietly at their desks and stared curiously at a crude bed that was at the front of the classroom. They whispered back and forth speculatively until Walter Crick, a Ravenclaw boy declared, "It's The Monster Under the Bed! That's what it is!"

"Precisely, Mr. Crick," confirmed Lupin/Black. "Nearly every wizarding child, at one time or another, has wakened mummy or daddy to deal with Bed Monsters. Although considered harmless and an integral part of childhood, Bed Monsters are technically Dark Creatures since they feed upon nightmares and fears."

"They generate fear!" piped up the Slytherin girl, Analeith Darrowby.

"Correct, Miss Darrowby."

Warming to his subject, Lupin/Black paced a moment, then seated himself on the bed, and kicked warningly at the invisible creature all the first years knew was under the bed that swiped at his foot. "It's interesting to note that Muggle children are also sensitive to Bed Monsters, although Muggle nightmares haven't the power that magical nightmares have. Even so, Muggle parents deal with the Bed Monsters in the same way that magical parents do."

"But Muggle parents don't know the monsters are real, do they, Professor Lupin?" asked Gary Gorman, a Hufflepuff.

"They do not. Muggle parents do know that sometimes the best way to soothe a child's fear is to indulge it and pretend to vanquish it." Lupin/Black rose to his feet. "Mr. Ashwinder, can you tell me, is Hogwarts plagued at all by Bed Monsters?"

Remus had spoken to Sirius about each of the children in his classes, most particularly the first years. Bram Ashwinder was a very shy boy, but quite brilliant so Remus had asked Sirius to make certain the boy was encouraged to participate in class.

Bram started slightly, but he did have the answer and he smiled to himself. "In Hogwarts: A History, it says that there are no Bed Monsters in the dorms because the wards surrounding each of the Houses repels them."

Lupin/Black smiled, and inwardly he chuckled to himself at what he was about to do. "Very good, Mr. Ashwinder. Five points to Slytherin. Tell me, how did you come to be reading that particular book?"

"Miss Granger's been helping me with Potions because I'm not so good at it and she told me that Hogwarts: A History is a good book to read. It's got all kinds of really neat information about Hogwarts, sir."

"Well then, five points to Gryffindor on Miss Granger's behalf for imparting such valuable information to you." He paced a moment and then turned on his heel. "Who can tell me how you know when a Bed Monster is under your bed?" Something unseen from beneath the bed captured Lupin/Black's ankle, almost tripping him. As he kicked himself free, there came a few sniggers and chuckles from the students.

Several hands were raised. Lupin/Black pointed to a porcelain doll-like little Hufflepuff girl. She smiled shyly and he wondered briefly if this was the little first year that had a crush on the werewolf. He smiled at the child and was rewarded with a tell-tale blush. Yes, she was the one. "Miss Bones?"

"Bed Monsters are invisible, sir, but they can be sensed. Lots of kids make sure their feet never hang over their beds, just in case the Bed Monster grabs them." She blushed again and batted her big, brown eyes at Lupin. He smirked. That girl was going to be trouble for Remus when she got older. Cousin Nymphadora had better be quick about snaring the fellow.

"Do Bed Monsters like to eat feet?" he gestured to the class for an answer and they all shook their heads no.

"Very good!" he grinned and clapped his hands together. "Mr. Ashwinder! I've been told you're quite a brave little bloke. Would you come up here and show the class how to get rid of a Bed Monster?"

Bram hesitated for a moment, but was shoved in the shoulder by Terence Blaine Stewart. "Go on!" hissed the boy.

Bram left his seat, walked up to the front of the class with his wand held in his left hand, and stood beside his professor. Lupin/Black leaned over and spoke softly so only he could hear. "Put all the bravura in your voice possible and speak clearly, Mr. Ashwinder. Are you ready?"

Taking a deep breath, Bram nodded, and then stepped towards the bed. Pointing his wand, he shouted, "If you don't leave right now, I'm going to give your guts to Professor Snape to use as a slingshot!"

A bright cascade of blue and green burst forth from under the bed and Bram jumped backwards, colliding with his professor. He smiled happily as the class broke out into applause. "Perfect, Mr. Ashwinder! Who'd have guessed that Professor Snape is scarier than a Bed Monster?" Lupin/Black laughed and clapped the little triumphant boy on the back.


Severus Snape strode angrily into the teacher's staff room, right over to Lupin/Black, grabbed the man by the back of his teaching robes collar and away from Filius Flitwick. He then steered him out into the corridor.

"Problem, Snape?" asked Lupin/Black with an uncharacteristic cheeky grin on his face.

"I don't suppose you'd care to explain why students have been asking me for Bed Monster gut slingshots, would you, Black?" he hissed sharply.

"Gossip around this castle is faster than the results of eating the house elfs boiled mutton," chuckled Lupin/Black. "That class of first years was only two hours ago."

Snape sneered dangerously; an unspoken promise to use the man's innards for Potions ingredients.

"Oh give it up, Snape. You're not that upset over what Mr. Ashwinder said to the Bed Monster. It was rather spectacular that just the mere mention of you had the creature blowing up in such a colourful manner. I had to take my next class on an impromptu hunt for another Bed Monster just so I could finish my other classes."

Snape's sneer turned into a disgruntled glare.

Lupin/Black sighed dramatically. "Really, Snape, you ought to be happy. Despite your happy little family, this means you're still the evil, greasy git of the dungeons. You're still frightening."

Snape's grin was more of a grimace as he spun away from his childhood nemesis. "And don't you forget it!"

Lupin/Black stuck out his tongue at the retreating, billowing figure in black, and then, as an afterthought he shouted, "Don't you dare undermine Mr. Ashwinder's triumph, Snape!"

Lupin/Black didn't see the satisfied look in the DADA professor's dark, hard eyes. Bram Ashwinder's dazzling display added another notch to Professor Snape's continuing fearsome reputation.


While Sirius was having a good turn as Remus Lupin in his classes, the werewolf, now Polyjuiced as a somewhat bruised looking Lucius Malfoy, was brewing several restorative potions for his Dark Master under the watchful, red-eyed gaze, of the snake himself. Behind him, Voldemort's breathing was shallow and wet sounding. It grated heavily on Malfoy/Lupin's nerves and made it difficult to concentrate on the work he was doing.

He tried not to jerk as a long, cold finger suddenly insinuated itself along his cheek and through his long, pale hair. As he drew in a sharp breath, he could smell the decay that was emanating like a rotting aura from the Dark Lord's fast weakening body.

"What have your spiesss to say about Hogwartsss, dear Luciusss?" The Dark Lord pressed closer to Malfoy/Lupin knowing it disturbed him.

It took every ounce of control the werewolf had to force down the bile in his throat and to keep from shuddering. Lucius had warned that to show one's revulsion of Voldemort was only asking to be cursed.

Thankfully the Dark Lord swept away from Malfoy/Lupin and seemed to occupy his attention with the many bottled specimens on a nearby shelf. "What have they to sssay?" he repeated himself, with an undertone of warning that he'd not do so again.

"Dumbledore is cautious, as always, but there has been no sign of extra protection being added. The boy continues to take unnecessary risks, as well. He, along with his... brother..." this last word he spat sharply, "were seen walking the length of the Forbidden Forest as though neither had a care in the world."

The Dark Lord chuckled. "No doubt Potter has assured them that your injuriesss at my handsss were far worse than they actually were."

"It is nothing short of what I deserved, my Master," Malfoy/Lupin replied, his voice heavy with oily respect.

"Ahhh, but you have paid and survived, my ssson, unlike that ssstupid female, Bella." The Dark Lord began to pace agitatedly and Malfoy/Lupin watched in concern.

"My Lord?" he asked prudently. It would be suicide to observe anything that might be perceived as a weakness in Voldemort.

"Increase your ssspiesss, Luciusss. Ssseverusss hides too well from me and I'll not have it. Blood of my blood, it isss hisss flesh I now require and I shall have it."

Malfoy/Lupin's grin was like steel. "And his wife, my Lord?"

"Make it possible for me to have my Potionsss Master, Luciusss, and you shall have the woman to bear you sssonsss worthy of worshipping me."

He bowed low to the ground and kissed the filthy hem of his Dark Lord's robe. Showing obvious signs of weariness, Voldemort left the potions lab. Once he was clearly gone, Lupin drew in a shakey breath and continued with the potions. As Snape had instructed him before he left Hogwarts, he added a virtually undetectable ingredient to each potion that was meant to aid in prolonging Voldemort's life and ease his pain and weakness. The additional ingredients would combine after the potions were taken and would worm their way into the Dark Lord's mind, subtly unhinging his logical common sense. Remus Lupin would then continue to nudge Voldemort towards an unwise attack upon Hogwarts.

It was tedious work that required patience and precision, and no matter that Snape had often thought ill of the werewolf, Remus J. Lupin had patience and precision down as well honed skills. Deep down he was frightened of being this close to the Dark Lord, but he knew he had the ability to accomplish this one task, and to do it well.


Draco had borrowed his brother's invisibility cloak and made his way up from the dungeons to the Infirmary. It took him several minutes to unlock the door that led to the hidden room once used by Snape in his spying days. Inside the small room, a single candle illuminated the pale face of the man he'd once called 'father'.

Lucius Malfoy's injuries from continued applications of the Cruciatus Curse had injured the wizard far beyond the healing skills of Snape, Lyrica, or Poppy. Snape had informed Draco earlier that night that Lucius Malfoy was dying.

Draco looked down upon the sleeping form and tried to find some feeling, a tiny bit of sympathy, even compassion for the man that had given him life. He felt nothing more than coldness for the figure before him. He was just about to leave when Lucius spoke, his voice rich, like heavy cream, and sounding as haughty as ever it had.

"Come to finish me off, my son?" Lucius asked with a sharp sneer.

Draco was surprised that the older wizard showed no sign of concern for his impending death. He shrugged. "Why bother? You have only a few weeks left. I see no reason to hurry along what Voldemort began."

"So, your hatred is such that you cannot even find it in you to spare your father the pain that will be his in the coming days?" Lucius' voice dripped with superior hatred and it felt like something oily and filthy to Draco.

He shook his head. "My true father is grading essays down in the dungeons." He moved a little closer. He knew he didn't have to worry about getting hexed. Voldemort's curses had burned the magic out of Malfoy's magical core. He was, effectively, a squib. "You never spared me so I see no reason to spare you, Lucius."

"Then tell me why your curiousity brought you to my side, son?" the gentle voice, the one he often used to lull Draco into a false sense of security was nothing more to the young wizard than a breeze passing by.

Draco decided the truth would matter little to Lucius, so he replied easily, "To see if there was anything left in me that still wanted to be your son." He paused, studying Lucius in the same manner a scientist might study a dead whale. "There's nothing left."

Draco turned away, slipped out of the room, and then under the invisibility cloak. A weight had lifted from his heart and he smiled as he returned to the dungeons and to his family.


Snape sat at his desk in his office and re-read the official letter from the Ministry. It was the third time he'd read the letter and it hadn't gotten any better after the third reading. It was not good news.

Folding up the letter, he tucked it into his robe pocket, rose from his desk, and left his office and headed for his quarters.

He knew Draco had gone to see Lucius and had not stopped the boy. If Draco chose to kill the man that had hurt him so many times growing up, he would not have stopped him. Snape knew, though, that Draco would not do such a thing. It was not something that was within the boy. The young man had a question that needed to be answered and Snape sincerely hoped he'd find it.

As Snape entered his quarters, he was surprised to find himself enveloped in a tight hug from one of his son's. Looking down, he saw the pale-haired head of Draco. He wrapped his arms around the boy's shoulders and did not move until Draco chose to pull away. There was such a look of contentment upon the boy's face, he almost thought of not saying anything about the letter he had in his pocket. He had not expected to see his son come away from his visit acting as though all was well with the world.

Looking into Draco's eyes, he carefully cast a silent Legilimens and was assured by what he saw. He slipped out of his son's mind, his heart feeling like lead as he knew Draco would be in for a rough time; tonight, and in the very near future.

"Father, what's wrong?"

The more formal title caught Snape off guard. Draco, like Harry, had been calling him 'dad' since the guardianship was approved by the Ministry. Father was a term Draco had kept in reserve for his biological father, Lucius. Something more had changed during Draco's visit to the Infirmary than what he'd seen in the boy's mind.

"I shall tell you in a moment, Draco, but tell me what has happened with you?" He guided Draco over to the sofa in front of the fireplace and they both say down.

"I let go of a heavy weight on my heart, father," Draco said firmly as he reached over and gripped his true father's hand. "I know where I belong now and it feels good." Draco smiled timidly.

Snape was both elated and worried. As he pulled his son to his chest, he could hear the faint crinkle of the Ministry letter. This was the part of being a parent that was difficult. He would do anything not to have to do what he was about to, but he had no choice.

"I hope you know that I've felt that you've always belonged here," Snape touched his fingers to his heart. "We will talk more about your visit with Lucius later. I need to speak to you about some bad news."

Draco sat up stiffly, suddenly worried. "What is it?" he whispered.

"When you came to me with your concern that Narcissa had not answered the letter you sent during the summer, I made some inquiries. As you know, I originally sent Narcissa to a retreat in Italy to work with people that would help her recover from the treatment she'd received during her marriage to Lucius. What I learned was that Narcissa had inexplicably left not long after you received your letter from her."

Snape sighed heavily and pulled the official letter from his pocket. Draco stared down at it, but Snape did not, yet, release it to him. He continued his explanation. "It was discovered that Narcissa went to France. Your mother has a small estate in Alsace that belonged to her before she and Lucius were married." Draco nodded numbly and stared in fear at the official letter that Snape was now trying to hand him. "Narcissa was discovered there a few days ago. It seems, not too long after she arrived at her house, she killed herself."

His hands shaking, Draco took the official letter that was from the Auror's office. He read the words, but they didn't sink in. What caught his attention was a smaller, very fine piece of parchment that was favored by his mother for correspondence. It was folded once in half and on the outside, in delicate script in gold ink was his name on the outside. A single teardrop fell on the small note as he picked it up, unfolded it, and began to read it.

My dearest child,

I dearly wish I had an ounce of the courage that you have, but I do not. My wounds are far too deep and I know that what I am about to do is terribly selfish. You were well familiar with Lucius' fists, so I do hope you might understand and someday forgive me.

I am so very thankful that you are with Severus, that you have your brother Harry, the lovely Lyrica, and your beloved Hermione to take care of you once you read this.

You and your sister were the brightest lights in my life I could ever have wished for. When Lucius took Elydree from us, a part of my soul died. I realise it is unfair that I do this to you, but I hurt so much. I shall understand if you are angry and might even hate me for awhile. Please know that I do love you and I shall watch over you from the other side of the Veil.

You make me proud, Draco.

One last thing, my son; Lyrica Snape is truly now your mother. I know she will love you as I do. Treat her, as always, with respect and your love.

Narcissa

Draco crushed the letter in his fist and with tears running down his face, he leaned against his father and wept great, gulping sobs. Snape drew his son tightly to him, rubbing his back gently and speaking softly in the child's ear. He could not help, nor stop, the two tears that fell down his cheeks; one was for Narcissa, the other was for his grieving child.


Draco wasn't hungry. He had retreated to the Astronomy tower to breathe the cool night air and to watch the stars as they slowly travelled across the sky. Inside his shirt was the letter from Narcissa. Once he'd been able to stop his childish weeping he'd asked his father why Narcissa hadn't mentioned his sister Elydree. Sadly, Snape informed him, he had never been able to let Narcissa know that her beloved daughter had not been killed, but lived, safely, in the Muggle world. This brought fresh grief to Draco's heart, but no tears. He had then left his dungeon home and ascended to the tower to be by himself.

Time passed. Time was still. He was lost in childhood memories and then his heart would swell with grief once more.

When the crescent moon rose high into the diamond scattered sky, Draco smelled the gentle scent of vetiver and sandalwood. A pair of arms slipped around his neck and lips kissed his cheek until a soft cheek was laid against his. He leaned back against Hermione and felt the missing part of his soul become whole.

"I love you, Hermione. Forever," he whispered as he pulled a handful of curls gently.

"I'll be with you, forever, Draco." Hermione moved beside him and drew his head down into her lap. She conjured a blanket to cover him and cast a Cushioning Charm beneath them both. She then stroked her fingers through his pale hair until his eyelids closed and he drifted off to sleep.


It was midnight when a worried father went in search of his son. As Snape had to do his patrol, he made his way through the castle with the resolve that he would find Draco. It was when he rose up to the height of the Astronomy tower that he found Draco asleep within Hermione's arms. She was also asleep, keeping him safe and comforted in her embrace.

Snape knelt down by the young couple and for the first time he realised how quickly they were growing up. His heart ached with a bittersweet twinge as Draco and Hermione were leaving their childhood behind them. Harry wouldn't be far in following them, either. Harry's christening into adulthood would be as painful as Draco's was, for he would meet the devil on the battlefield very soon.

Snape conjured a larger blanket for the couple and took the first one that Hermione had conjured. He draped the large one over the sleeping couple, cast a Warming Charm, and then settled himself behind them. Draping the smaller blanket over his legs and a Cushioning Charm that would prevent a backache in the morning. He sat vigil over Hermione and Draco, making sure they'd be safe, and that Draco would remain true to his promise to court his lady properly. Snape then smirked as he relished seeing their expressions when they woke to the bright sunshine in the morning.