Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Warning: Some abuse ahead, but I hope I did not make it too graphic.
Chapter 21

Echo put the bread dough upon the warm stove to rise, blew her hair out of her eyes, and looked around at the mess of the kitchen. She laughed softly, finally feeling much improved after the emotional upheaval that was the deposition from yesterday. A breeze through the kitchen window was keeping the kitchen somewhat cool, and was teasing her senses. She needed a walk.

Removing her apron, she hung it on a hook on the wall, and then with a wave of her hand most of the mess was magically cleared away. The dirty dishes and mixing pans she floated to the sink and cast a Dishwashing Spell to get them clean. Going to the stove, she checked the slowly cooking roast and determined that she could take it out of the oven when she returned from her walk.

Echo then left the kitchen and made her way out of the back door of the cottage and down to the ocean. She kicked off her shoes where the sand and grass met, and proceeded barefoot onto the wide beach.

As she walked and enjoyed the silence Echo allowed herself to drift in the memory of Severus with his arms around her, his teasing kisses, and then that last one. She smiled hoping that the evening walk would bring more of such kisses.

The spell had been cast silently so she never heard it. Echo crumpled to the sand as the Stupefy Spell shut down all her senses.


Harry didn't think there was anything more fun or more perfect in the world than flying on a broom with his father. Severus used a spell to keep him securely on the broom, but his father's arms were also wrapped around him as they flew.

It was fantastic flying so high above the island, and so fast, too!

Severus felt there was nothing more perfect in the world than the expression on his son's face as they flew through the sky. Harry's head was lifted so the wind brushed roughly across his face and flipped through his long, black hair. A spell kept the bugs from smacking into them so Harry was able to smile and laugh without the fear of something taking an unwanted trip down his throat.

Severus looked down upon the cottage he'd rented and smiled inwardly as he thought of Echo's cooking filling the small abode with savory aromas and the warmth of home. He was beginning to look upon the end of the summer with trepidation.

By summer's end, Echo's trouble with her ex-husband would be dealt with and she would be returned to her life. Severus would probably be back at Hogwarts, teaching. The image of that contract awaiting his signature was an unwelcome one. He needed to decide, and soon, what to do.

Harry laughed, bringing his father out of his reverie. "There's Hector!" he pointed downward.

Severus frowned as he looked way down at the speck of the golden retriever in the backyard. Hector was not acting like a familiar pleased to be reunited with his boy. The dog appeared frantic that it couldn't reach them.

"Hold on, Harry," warned his father sensing that something was wrong. Harry's hands clamped to the broom right behind his father's grip just as Severus pointed the broom towards the ground at a sharp angle of descent.

As soon as they touched the grass in the backyard Hector ran over to them. The dog was yipping, not full out barking, and jumping agitatedly.

"Harry, stay here," ordered Severus in a tone that warned of sharp punishment if he were disobeyed.

Harry waited, holding his father's broom as Severus, wand drawn, made his way into the cottage.

It felt like hours before his father emerged, a dark look of worry upon his face. Severus did not speak, but waved his son into the cottage. Upon entering, he was surprised to see Professor Lupin pacing at the fireplace.

"Harry, I need you to behave for Professor Lupin. You're grandfather will arrive later."

"What's going on, Daddy?" asked Harry as he looked back and forth between the two wizards.

Severus replied softly, placing his hands upon Harry's shoulders. "Echo is missing. I'm going out to look for her. I need you to be my brave little boy in case she comes back here. Can you do that for me?"

Harry nodded sharply. Remus Lupin had turned at that moment and couldn't help noticing how the little boy had begun to adopt Severus' mannerisms. He struck that thought from his mind as he addressed the other man.

"I'm sure that Harry will be perfect, Severus. As soon as Albus gets here, I'll join you," asserted the werewolf.

"Thank you, Remus." With a slight touch to Harry's head, he swept out of the cottage and down towards the beach.

For a brief second Lupin stared after Severus. It was the first time he could remember the Potions Master had used his given name without a touch of sarcasm. A tugging on his sleeve caused him to look down at the worried little boy.

"Would you read me a story, please, Mr. Lupin?"

Remus smiled. "I think that would be a very good idea. Why don't you get the book you'd like me to read?"

Harry nodded and hurried over to the bookshelf where his books were kept on the lowest shelf. He plucked one out, returned to Lupin's side, took the wizard's hand and led him to Severus' chair.

Remus read the book in a soft, soothing voice, but Harry was only half listening. Every few minutes he looked out the window towards the beach until he could no longer see the dark speck that was his father.


Echo woke up to an uncomfortable paralysis. A Binding Spell? She was cold and wet, there was no light, and her head throbbed terribly. She tried to move, but it was impossible. She was able to determine that the ground she was on was wet sand and stone. Echo wondered if she might be in one of the many small caves that pock-marked the cliffs of Solanus. Swallowing nervously she hoped she wasn't in the cavern where she and Severus had rescued Hector. If the tide came in, she'd be swept down into the furthest reaches of the cavern. Although, she'd drown, first.

"Lumos." A dim yellow light glimmered in the heavy darkness. She groaned, recognising that arrogant, cultured voice. "Hello, wife."

"Oland! What are you doing?" she demanded as her teeth chattered.

"Cleaning up your mess, as usual." Oland Childermass moved closer so that Echo could see him.

Echo blinked against the light from his wand. His curly, blonde hair had gotten a bit longer, but essentially he'd not changed one bit. How much could he change in just a few weeks, you ridiculous witch, Echo thought to herself.

Oland's features were well-defined, as though carved from soft alabaster. Patrician features, haughty, superior. Oland's face was the kind of open, good looking, face of charm and class that often appealed to women. I was a fool for it! In the shadows caused by the dim light, his selfishness and arrogance were starkly outlined.

"What mess?" she asked warily.

He tsked. "I told you to leave Solonus, didn't I? As usual, though, you just couldn't obey a simple order, could you? As it stands now, you've ruined everything here for me. Leave it to the helpless ingénue to find a knight in shining armor to champion her cause." He mocked with a sickeningly sweet smile. His features then became absolutely empty and her body instinctively tightened. She didn't think he'd hit her. He never had.

Oland struck Echo sharply across the face, cutting her lip. She cried out, mostly in shock at what he'd done. Blood flowed from the cut and her eyes sparkled with tears.

"You stupid cow!" he snarled so viciously, it was if his voice were now striking her. That voice she was familiar with. "I was going to let you live, did you know that? I loved you, Echo! Now I see, though, that you never loved me!"

Oland's hand left a dark imprint across her cheek as he continued his rant. "That one you're living with," he spat and paced a moment. "You had a son with him! Not me! I was an amusement, wasn't I? Until you sorted things out with that Snape? I didn't even know it, but our marriage WAS a sham and you killed my children!"

"I didn't kill them!" she screamed back at him.

"That Snape's a Potions Master, wife!" he snapped. "Did he give you a poison to abort my children?"

"He didn't do anything and Harry's not my son. What are you talk...?" She cried out as she felt something slice across her arm from a Cutting Curse Oland threw at her.

"Don't play me for a fool, wife. He looks just like you and his father. A perfect mix." His tone of voice abruptly turned calm and conversational. "Women are my vice, but you and yours are a special case, my love. I'll leave Snape alive to mourn your disappearance, but I'll leave him the body of his son to bury. A small courtesy on my part."

Rage surging within her that he might hurt Harry allowed her to partially free herself from the Binding Spell. "Don't you dare go near Harry!" she shrieked, trying to cast a spell.

"Not yours, hm?" he asked smugly. "You sound like a lioness protecting her cub. If only you'd just left, I'd have what I wanted and you'd have your life. I would never have known about Snape and your son." He rose to his feet and sighed dramatically. "Ignorance is bliss. Unfortunately, if it hadn't been for your interfering wizards that had all my assets on Solonus frozen, my sweet wife, I would never have known about Snape and Harry. You could have had a happy ending." She cried out as she felt another burning cut from his curse strike her. "It's too late now since I'm sure they'll be looking for me soon since I've ignored the summons."

Oland nudged her roughly with his booted foot as he circled around her. "You didn't know about the summons, did you? I'm a British Citizen and subject to their laws. Aurors are probably crawling my house and the bookstore by now."

"Then why waste your time with me, Oland," she asked sharply.

"You wronged me, darling, and that's just something I don't tolerate. Especially not after I loved you for two years." With a sharp movement he aimed his wand at Echo and spat, "Crucio!"

Oland smiled as Echo screamed. Her cries were all for him. After thirty seconds he ended the Unforgivable and released her from the Binding Spell. It didn't matter that she was now free, she could barely move.

"I can see now that I was too permissable with you, Echo. My gentler nature, I suppose. You'll forgive me if I feel the need to make up for those times that my hand was too gentle with you." Once more he knelt down and brushed Echo's hair off her face. His fingers traveled over her cheek, then down her neck...

Echo let out another scream, but this time she wasn't in pain.


Remus was in the kitchen preparing lunch from the food Echo had put together earlier that day. He took the plate out to Harry who had curled up in a large, leather chair by the fireplace. Remus didn't know this was the chair that Severus favored. Sitting beside the chair was the faithful golden retriever, Hector.

Harry looked at the plate of food and shook his head. "I'm not hungry, Mr. Lupin."

"Harry, your father would never forgive me if I didn't feed you properly while he's gone. Please eat something." Lupin offered the plate of food again. "You don't have to eat everything."

Harry hated to admit it, but the food did smell good. He took the plate and nibbled at a small sandwich that had been cut in half along the diagonal so they were triangles. He took a meagre bite and that was enough to awaken his hungry belly. The sandwich was quickly gone.

"Is there something to drink, Mr. Lupin?" Harry asked, his voice very polite and subdued.

"There is, hang on. Oh, and Harry, you may call me Remus if you'd like."

Harry was about to reply when the fireplace burst into flame and the Floo whooshed to life. Albus stepped through, followed by the grizzled, old warrior, Mad-Eye Moody.

Harry couldn't help himself. He screeched! The man with his grandpa was scary! He was bent, had one strange eye that seemed to move with a mind of its own, and scars distorted his face terribly. Hector began to growl at Moody.

"Quiet." Albus' voice was not raised, but there was a firmness to it that even Hector obeyed. "Harry, my child, I assure you that my friend, Alastor Moody is a most honorable man." Harry slipped off the chair and went to wrap his arms around his grandfather. He peeked through Albus beard at the wreck of a wizard and shyly waved.

Moody's wild, magic eye scrutinised the de-aged Harry Potter. Long, black hair that was nearly straight, and the glasses were gone. Rather small, slim-framed, but not at all malnourished looking. He recalled the teenager that always seemed to have a starved bird look to him.

"I've come to help your... er... Daddy, Harry," gruffed Moody with a snort. He'd listened, quite a few times, as Albus had told him of the changes in the ex-Death Eater.

"Leopards don't change their spots and Death Eaters don't change their robes, Albus. Ye can't be telling me that Snape's gone all cream puff now that he's a father." The grizzled warrior thumped his wooden leg against the floor in emphasis.

"My friend," admonished Albus as they sat sharing tea only months after the news broke that the ex-Death Eater and spy for the Order, Severus Snape had adopted the de-aged Hero of the Wizarding world. "People do change. However, Severus is as I've always known him. A private man, reserved, but with a great capacity for compassion. He could not have done the work for us he did if he did not have a kind heart towards those who needed him."

"And you're saying Potter needed him?"

"All of us needed him, but Harry and Severus needed each other. You should come and visit some time, Alastor. It really is quite endearing to see the love those two have for each other."

Moody only sneered distastefully.

"I don't know where he is," replied Harry.

Remus interjected, "He's gone to look for Echo Prosper. She's been staying here since Severus rescued her."

Moody's reply was an indecipherable grunt. Albus led Harry back to his chair and then he silently indicated that Remus was to join he and Moody in the kitchen. "We'll be back in a moment, Harry. Please stay here?" Albus' fingers gently smoothed over the little boy's hair.

"I will," he agreed and then watched the three wizards as they went into the kitchen.

With a sharp wave of his wand and a sharp, "Silencio!" Moody put up a Silencing Spell.

"What's going on?" asked Remus worriedly.

Moody replied bluntly, "Oland Childermass, better known as Albert Rangoon, is a murderer. You remember the stories in the Daily Prophet about twelve years ago? A brutal murder that was attributed to Death Eaters of a witch in Surrey. Muggles found her first and their papers said it was as horrible as that Jack the Ripper sadist of a couple hundred years back in London."

Remus did remember. He had seen the Muggle news that had panicked about the rise of a Jack the Ripper type serial killer. The furor died down, though, as there never were anymore murders.

"So he's done this before," sighed Remus.

"More than once before," said Albus worriedly. "The young witch that was found by the Muggles was only the first."

Moody swore colourfully, then spoke, "I've been helping Shacklebolt go through old Auror records since Miss Prosper did her deposition. Seems some of her testimony raised a few flags. Rangoon has done this to four other witches. He woos them, gets them to sign over their property, and then kills 'em."

"But he let Miss Prosper go, didn't he?" Remus asked in puzzlement.

Moody shrugged. "He did. I've been puzzled by his insistence on the Bonding Ceremony of their marriage, too. Rangoon stepped out of his usual modus operandi."

Albus shook his head. "Only Childermass could enlighten us as to his reasons."

"Why do you think he might have Echo?" inquired Remus.

"The Greek branch of Gringotts froze all of his assets the moment I brought her case before the Wizengamot. We didn't know it then, but Childermass went into hiding." Albus sighed heavily. "I wouldn't doubt that he has Echo now."

"How powerful a wizard is this Childer... Rangoon?" asked Remus.

"He looks a fool," muttered Moody, "but he's very powerful."

"Was he a Death Eater?"

Moody stared for a moment at Remus. "Possible, but we don't know. Anyway, enough of conversation. You're comin' with me, Lupin. Snape's got no idea what he might be going into and he might need us." He ended the Silencing Spell and the three wizards emerged from the kitchen.

Albus spoke to the anxious little boy, "Harry, I'm going to be staying here with you while Remus and Alastor go and help your father."

"Is Daddy all right?" he asked, his voice trembling with worry.

"We'll make certain of it, boy," grunted Moody.

"He'll be fine, Harry. I know it's hard waiting, but we'll bring Severus and Miss Prosper back as quickly as we can," assured Remus.

"Ohhhkay." After watching the two wizards leave through the back door of the cottage, Harry left his father's chair and trotted down to his bedroom. Just as Albus thought it might be a good idea to follow the child, Harry came out, carrying his stuffed dragon.

Albus smiled, his blue eyes twinkling gently, and seated himself on the sofa. Harry immediately crawled up beside him, curling up against the older man's side with the dragon clutched to his chest. Hector rose from the floor, shook himself, and then jumped up onto the other end of the sofa.

Albus summoned one of Harry's bedtime books, and began to read from it.


Severus had been a spy for longer than he'd been a student. Yet, his lessons in hiding, walking silently, becoming part of the shadows had begun when he'd been no older than Harry. Over the years, he'd learned how to read signs many wizards, including Aurors, would easily dismiss. Some of his skills had been adapted to teaching which had given him the reputation of being anything from a ghost to a vampire.

He knew ways, both Muggle and Wizard, to track people. It had been simple for him to follow Echo's very faint footsteps from the cottage to the beach. There were no prints to be seen in the wet edge of sand, but here he was able to pick up her magical signature. That, too, was faint and just when he'd been certain he'd lost all sense of the young witch, he'd found a small rock with two drops of blood.

Severus collected the blood very carefully. One drop he placed into a small, empty phial he had in one of his hidden pockets, the other he put upon the tip of his wand. With the blood, he was able to use Blood Magic to track Echo. It was infinitely more accurate than the methods he'd been using so far. The Potions Master didn't know that he was being tracked by the very same sort of magic.


"You've kept his blood?" Remus was appalled at the small phial of dried blood that Moody held up.

Moody shrugged indifferently. "S.O.P. Lupin. Aurors take blood, hair, and skin samples of all prisoners. I jus' never got rid of Snape's." He then scowled menacingly at Lupin. "Besides, would you much rather walk around here blindly until luck shines on us and we run into him? Good wizard he may be now, I still don't want to go surprising Snape." He grumped as the wand tugged him south. "I've lost enough bits, I don't need to be losin' anymore."


Echo didn't care if the Cruciatus pain was down to a cellular level, she was going to fight tooth and nail. She didn't care if he hit her, cursed her, or cut her. Echo would not allow Oland to leave this cave to go after Harry! Finding some reserve of movement, she lashed out with a Repelling Charm that threw Oland backwards. He tried to leap to his feet indignantly, but slipped on the uneven, wet, sand-gritted floor of the cave. Echo tried the spell again, but she was enveloped with the pain and fire of Cruciatus a second time.

Oland was breathing heavy, a smile of madness on his perfect face, as he looked down upon Echo curling in upon herself as her body still jerked from the Curse. "No wand. Good show, wife. I'd forgotten about that. Easy to fix, though." Using his wand to forcefully draw her arms away from her body, he bound her wrists together tightly with rope.

"Oland... please..." she gasped out.

He smiled. It made Echo's insides freeze. Not because it was a horrible smile, but because it was gentle... sweet. The smile she'd fallen in love with. "Now there's my demure and obedient wife. Beg all you wish, sweetheart, I intend to have my fun, first." He swiped down harshly with his wand and she screamed as a thin cut opened across her forearm.


Echo's blood upon Severus' wand had led him southward away from the beach and inland. He nearly missed the mouth of the cave as it was hidden by a natural grouping of boulders. There was just enough space for him to slip behind the boulders... and then he met resistance.

He cursed and backed out. A few Blasting Curses dealt with the boulders blocking the way, leaving him to do what he could to break the wards.

After a half hour, Severus removed his outer robes and wiped the sweat from his forehead. The wards that had been put up were as complicated and as layered as anything he'd ever created.

"Snape!"

Severus turned at the familiar, gravelly voice that shouted his name a second time. "Moody! Lupin, what are you doing here? Is Harry...?"

"Albus is with Harry, Severus," replied Lupin. "We came to help you."

Severus listened as Moody quickly related what had been discovered about Oland Childermass, also known as Albert Rangoon. He was gritting his teeth so hard, he was giving himself a headache.

"A serial killer," Severus finally ground out. "Echo's in there," he pointed sharply, "with a serial killer?"

"He's trapped, Snape," grinned Moody. It wasn't a pleasant expression on his disfigured face. "We can just sit here..."

"Meanwhile he's torturing her!" Severus had had it with the bloody wards. He moved several feet to the side of the entrance, stepped back, and without using his wand, hit the dirt and rock with a powerful Blasting Curse that blew a great hole right into the cave.

Moody cursed a blue streak as he dove out of the way of flying debris. Remus shouted at the angry wizard. "Severus!" He knew the man might turn on him, but emotion was overriding his good sense. Remus grasped Severus' wand arm and the dark-haired man tried to jerk his arm free.

"You're stronger than you look," Severus glared at the werewolf with narrowed eyes. "Now remove your hand from my arm."

Remus didn't let go. "You do realise, Severus, that you just announced your presence to Childermass. Also, had Miss Prosper been on the other side of that wall, you would have killed her." At another jerk from Severus, Remus did let go.

Severus stared angrily into the dark depths of the hole he'd made and tried to clamp down upon the emotions that had gotten away from him. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Moody's trademark sharp wand movements. He allowed that to distract him, which gave him the moment he needed to control his anger.

"Whatever are you doing, Moody?" asked Severus. "I just got through three layers of wards and you're putting them back up?"

"Not quite, lad," chuckled Moody as he intoned another complicated phrase in Latin. "Trick I learned from my old Mentor. Can't use it very often, since there's gen'rally too many ways to escape, but this blighter went and locked himself in a cave. I doubt he's got a way out."

"He can Apparate," Remus pointed out.

"That's what I'm preventing. Kind of. He can try Apparating, but he might wind up splinched all over the world." He laughed again, somewhat madly. Remus and Severus glanced warily at each other. "In the cave, lads, so I can finish this last bit." Moody ushered the two younger wizards through the hole Severus had blasted and then intoned another complicated warding phrase. There was a nauseating shimmer that sparkled gold for a moment before vanishing. "Don't move," warned the ex-auror. The sparkling gold suddenly seemed to explode outward from the wards Moody had put up and crawled rapidly like thousands of ants over the walls, ceilings, and floors of the cave. Like an afterimage on the retina, it blinked out and they were left in the dark.

"Lumos," said Remus, providing a soft glow to their small area.

"What did you do, Moody?" demanded Severus.

"Reversed his wards, but added one of my own. Think of it as a fishing net. It's not infallible, though. It will trip him up, at best. Just try not to cast any Blasting Curses. Might blow us up."

"Wonderful," snarled Severus scathingly. A terrified scream shook the wizards out of any further discourse and they ran towards the distress.


The explosion of Severus Snape's Blasting Curse knocked Oland Childermass off his feet. He fell over a sharp piece of stone sticking up from the uneven cave floor and rolled too close to Echo. Her hands still bound and weakened by blood loss, she nevertheless gathered enough strength to bring her bound wrists down towards Oland's head. Unfortunately he dodged the blow, but it landed, hard, upon his neck. The knot of the ropes hit a sensitive nerve causing him more disorientation and bile to rise up in his throat.

Oland struck back with his booted foot. He smiled at the sound of breaking bone.

"Give... up, Oland," Echo gasped. Tears spilled from her eyes. She wasn't certain what broke. It was just more pain added to what she was already pulsing with. "They know... you're here."

"All things must come to an end, sweet Echo. I just never thought it would be you to bring me down." He pulled himself to his feet. "Crucio!" He circled the writhing woman who screamed and then ended the curse. "I stayed longer with you than all the others, wife. Did you know that?" He touched her arm with the tip of his wand. "You weren't really pretty... still aren't, but you know what you did have?"

Oland moved closer, but jabbed his wand under Echo's chin. "Do. You. Know?" Shivering from pain, and the cold, and the wet, Echo shook her head tightly. She cringed as he smiled. His eyes glinted as he leaned even closer. "You were the only one, Echo, my wife, who truly loved me. I wanted to keep you. That's why I chose the Bonding Ceremony. I remember every look you gave me... every kiss." Oland's voice then took on an edge that was sharp with pain. "Have you any idea how much it hurt... still hurts... that I had to break our damned bond?" He was screeching in her face. "You made me fall in love with you!"

Oland's wand swept across Echo with another Cutting Curse and she cried out. "It didn't hurt you, did it?" This time he struck her with the Cruciatus Curse.

"EXPELLIARMUS!" Remus and Severus cast the spell at the same time. Oland went flying backward. Remus caught the disarmed wizard's wand, but Severus strode forward, still casting spells.

Oland's pretty face was now a mass of ugly, suppurating boils, his insides roiled with a Nausea Inducing Spell, causing him to retch, and Severus' last spells included his own Cutting Spell, Sectumsempra. The Potions Master slashed viciously, venting his anger, yet his aim was precise. As devastating as the horrid cuts were, they would only cause gradual blood loss, not instant death.

"Are you ready to die, Childermass!" snapped Severus. He was unaware of the aura of sparkling red magic that enveloped himself and Echo.

Remus started to intervene, but Moody caught the younger man by the sleeve. His rough voice hissed, low, "He has the right, lad."

Remus looked back at the old warrior, appalled. "It's murder!"

Moody's one good eye glared darkly, "Not after what that piece of filth's done. This is Old Magic, boy, so don't interfere." He yanked Remus closer. "You can see it, lad. He's claimed the right."

Remus turned again to study Severus Snape. The dark haired wizard stood prepared to deliver the Coup de Gras. His wand was pointed straight at the fallen wizard. The magical shimmer had dimmed to a subtle limning that glowed around both the witch and the furious Potions Master.

Severus could not hear Lupin or Moody, but he knew what had happened. He had laid claim to Echo as her Protector. He had not declared it aloud, but the Old Magic had sensed it within him and it now emanated from him like a beacon. He had no trouble ending this evil creature's life, but he didn't want to do so in front of Echo.

Keeping his wand upon the mess before him, he turned just enough to see Lupin going to Echo's side. Jealousy, fueled by the Old Magic surging through him, almost made him turn his wand on Lupin. He pushed down the feeling, controlling it. He knew Lupin only meant to tend to her.

Echo saw Lupin coming towards her and she pulled away. "No. Not you," she gasped and then shifted as much as she could in order to see Severus. He was looking at her and in his eyes, so deep and dark, she could see his concern, and a question.

"Se...Sev...rus. H-he said... th-there were others. What...?" it took all her strength to ask and she fell back, caught by Lupin.

It was Moody, though, who supplied the answer and he did not spare any details. He then warned, "The Old Magic takes precedence over Wizarding Law. Snape won't go to Azkaban, but you have to be sure. Snape has the right, but Old Magic or no, Rangoon's future's a short one."

Echo pulled away from Lupin and held her bound wrists towards Severus. She shook her head at him.

Severus didn't look back at Oland Childermass who slid weakly to the floor of the cave. He went to Echo's side and unbound her wrists. He then lifted the witch in his arms.

"Moody? Your wards?" asked Severus sharply.

There was a pop, much like one's ears would pop at high altitude. "It's safe to Apparate, Snape." Moody snapped his wand towards Childermass. "Stupefy!" The old ex-Auror grinned down at the stunned Oland Childermass. It wasn't pretty.