Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 30

Hector had planned to settle down for a nap by the hearth when he caught the flash of something dash out the Headmaster's open office door. He sniffed the air and blinked.

Cat.

The large dog glanced over at his boy who had his nose in a book, and then towards the tweedy wizard, and the furry wizard. They all seemed content, so Hector deemed it safe to go after the cat.

Mrs. Norris was just rounding the corner away from the Headmaster's office when she heard an ominous... click, click, click, click. Turning her scruffy head she saw the monstrous dog and without any hesitation, she took off down the corridor.

Hector was trotting along the corridor, following his nose, when he spotted the cat. He was pleased when it shot away from him. He hadn't chased a cat in a long while and before his life with his boy, chasing cats had been a favorite past time. Putting on a burst of lumbering speed, his toenails clicked speedily upon the flagstones as he ran; a doggy grin clear on his muzzle.

Harry only saw Hector's tail disappearing around the corner. Not giving thought to the fact that if he just called to his dog, Hector would stop his chase, Harry simply broke into a run after him. He laughed. One of his favorite things to do was chase Hector.


Severus has ordered lemon sole stuffed with king prawns in a Seville orange sauce and samphire. The lovely sole was accompanied by white asparagus with hollandaise sauce. For dessert it was a simple, but elegant chocolate fondant with homemade, cinnamon ice cream. It had been a thoroughly decadent and enjoyable dinner.

Their date did not end with dinner, though. As Severus escorted Echo out to their waiting carriage she could see that look upon his face that meant he had another surprise up his sleeve. Echo had her own surprise and intended to kiss the Potions Master until the carriage arrived at their next destination.

Once the carriage stopped, Severus felt wonderfully dizzy and he had to blink a few times before he could unwrap himself from his delightful companion. He was strongly tempted to find someone to Bind himself and Echo so he could take her home and... well, blinking again he set those thoughts aside for his dreams. For now, he wished to...

"Dancing?" asked Echo as she replaced two of the jeweled combs that had fallen from her hair during their kissing.

Severus stepped out of the carriage, offered his hand to Echo and helped her down. She was gazing upon a gorgeous building shaped like a minaret that was nearly all glass and shiny brass. Through the glass she was able to see a ballroom lit by a candle chandelier of crystal that spilled light over several dozen beautifully dressed couples.

A red carpet led to the entrance, but Echo caught Severus' forearm and whispered worriedly, "But I don't know how to dance!"

"I do," he said, patting her hand. Severus led her into the glass ballroom and she felt the music of past composers swirl around her. This was not a place that catered to the youthful crowd that enjoyed the loud Weird Sisters.

It was a wondrous sight, but as soon as she felt her cloak lifted from her shoulders, Echo felt suddenly awkward and out of place. Severus caught the nervous flutter of her hand as it went to cover the faint scar. Taking her hand, he led the nervous woman over to one of many small tables that lined the marble dance floor. He chose an empty one, waved over a waiter, and ordered them each some lemon water.

Echo drank some of the water and then asked, "When did you learn to dance, Severus?"

"There were often functions that I was required to attend, mostly held at Malfoy Manor," he replied pointedly. She understood immediately that these were functions he had to attend as a Death Eater. "Truthfully, I rarely danced anyway unless Vol..." he paused as he looked around, conscious that he was back in the British wizarding community where many people did not like to hear the Dark Lord's name spoken aloud. "If a certain someone attended the functions, then I was obliged to dance, at least once, with the hostess."

"Did you ever come to a place like this to dance?" Echo took another sip of her water.

"There was one time I wanted to take Lily, but I never got a chance to do so." Echo's hand was on the table and he lightly ran his fingers down her forearm to her hand.

"So, in a way," she said coyly, catching his fingers and weaving hers through his, "I'll be your first." Her cobalt gaze sparkled mischievously and Severus openly laughed, his own, wicked gleam matching her.

"Yes, I suppose you will be." A new piece was beginning and he stood up smoothly, bowed slightly, and held out his hand to her. "The waltz is simple enough, so that's where we'll begin."

Echo put out her hand, but hesitated as she looked around at all the other couples dancing so effortlessly. "I'm going to smash your toes," she said reluctantly.

He tugged her hand lightly. "I don't care if you smash my toes, my beauty." He leaned over and whispered in her ear. "If you wish, just stand on my feet as we dance."

With a sigh, Echo gave up and followed Severus onto the dance floor. She was expecting a precise lesson, but instead, she found one hand in his, his other hand placing her other hand on his hip, and then that hand rested upon her waist.

"Just follow me," he whispered and with that Echo was dancing.

Well, it wasn't entirely that smooth, but each time she came close to stumbling over her feet, or his, Severus caught her and kept her steady. The music was about halfway through before she finally managed to get her feet to behave and although they were dancing a beat slower than the surrounding couples, they were dancing. Echo smiled brightly allowing the music to carry her as she kept her gaze upon Severus.

In what felt like the blink of an eye, their stance had changed with the music and Echo was now much closer to Severus. One arm was warmly about her waist and his free hand drew her head to his chest.

Slipping both arms about his waist, Echo didn't think this was a formal style of dance, but she really didn't care as she swayed to the music held in Severus' arms.

Severus kissed Echo's forehead, wanting to draw her even closer, but he could already feel curious stares upon himself and his companion.


Mrs. Norris was more than likely the only living being (wizard or animal or Weasley twin) that knew every nook and cranny that was Hogwarts castle. When the cat reached the third floor, she had that manky mutt right where she wanted him.

The scruffy cat had slowed her running just a tad since the big bag of fur couldn't quite run as fast as she could. She now practically sashayed down the middle of a narrow corridor on the third floor that was lined with somewhat dingy suits of armour.

Right on time, the big dog skittered into the corridor, saw the cat, and made the fatal mistake of putting on new speed. With his tongue lolling out the left of his mouth and drool spattering the floor every few feet, Hector did his best to catch the cat.

Mrs. Norris reached the middle of the corridor and then darted swiftly behind one of the suits of armour. She waited and just as the dogs head went between two suits, she threw her weight against the suit of armour she was behind. The armour wavered and then toppled with a terrific clashing to the ground. It was immediately followed by the two suits of armour to its left and right. Those came crashing down simultaneously.

Hector dodged when the first set of armour came tumbling down towards him. He went right into the path of another and yelped just as the mace the suited, invisible knight was holding, clipped the end of his tail.

Mrs. Norris watched placidly from the safety of a narrow niche as thirty sets of armour in the narrow corridor crashed, banged, clanged, and jangled all around the frantic dog. Poor Hector was dodging, ducking, dashing here, then there as he did his best to protect his hide.

Finally, the very last piece of metal clanged to the floor. Hector, his nerves frayed down to the root, sat huddled amidst the mess, shaking. He didn't care one bit that the demon cat, Mrs. Norris, trotted primly from her niche, sauntered right past him, and disappeared through a crack in the wall.


Harry had somehow taken a wrong turn and now not only did he not know where Hector was, he was lost as well. He found himself in front of a tall, wide painting of fruits spilling from a horn of plenty. His eye strayed to a rather large pear and his mouth watered. He could use a snack right now.

"Maybe the pear's magic," he said to himself as he stretched up his hand, then supported himself with his other hand against the painting as he went on his tippy toes. Harry wasn't tall enough.

He glowered at the tempting pear. Then he tried to jump and reach it. He came close, but not quite and he was getting frustrated.

"I want that pear!" he shouted.

To his surprise, the tall portrait swung open very slightly and the head of an elf wearing at least five knitted caps and a knitted jumper with the letter 'D' on it stepped out. The house elf's bulbous, blue eyes widened in astonishment and without warning Harry was enveloped in a strong hug as the elf began to wail.

"Oh! Master Harry Potter! Sir is all right! Sir is alive! Dobby is being told that Master Harry Potter is no more but here you is! Oh!"

"Lemme go! Ow! Watch it! Let go you barmy thing!" Harry struggled to free himself from the crazily affectionate elf and when it let go, he fell backwards and stared at the elf as it picked up its fallen hats.

"Dobby is so sorry to scare Master Harry Potter."

The elf, Dobby, began to knock its skull against the wall. Harry rushed to his feet, grabbed the elf by the shoulders to stop him, and said, "Don't hurt yourself, uhm... Dobby? You just kind of surprised me. And, I'm not Harry Potter. I'm Harry Potter-Snape. Professor Snape's my Daddy."

"Oh yes! Master Headmaster is telling Dobby that but said Master Harry Potter wouldn't be no more here. Is Dobby much confused, but all is well! Master Harry Potter-Snape is here and Dobby is much, much happy!"

Harry let out a yelp as he was enveloped by house elf again. This time the hug was brief. Dobby picked up another hat that fell from his head.

"How come you're wearing all those hats, Dobby?" asked Harry.

"Missy Hermione tried to free house elfs by knitting clothes. She sneaky witch, but house elfs don't want freedom. Love Hogwarts. Love Master Headmaster. But Dobby is free elf and Dobby loves hats. Mistress Molly knits jumpers for Dobby at Christmas, too!"

Harry smiled at the house elf's wide grin as he showed off his jumper.

"Is Master Harry Potter-Snape wanting something, sir?" Dobby asked politely.

"I saw that pear and was hoping it was magic so I could eat it. I sort of want a snack."

Dobby grasped Harry by the upper arm and dragged him into the kitchen. "Dobby is bringing you yummy snack, sir!"

Harry wasn't exactly aware of being pushed down on a bench in front of a long table. He was fascinated by the immense size of the Hogwarts kitchen and the dozens of absolutely sparkling pots and pans and hundreds of gleaming dishes stacked upon dozens of shelves. The kitchen was also teeming with more house elfs than he'd ever seen in his life.

His nose brought him back down to earth as he smelled just baked chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. Harry turned and looked at a large slice of cake.

"Oh boy! Cake!" With that, he dove into the cake, washing it down in between large bites with icy cold milk. With a chocolate burp, Harry was finally finished. He shook his head at another slice. "Thanks, Dobby, but this was enough. That was really good."

Dobby patted Harry on the back and his head bobbled in pleasure. "Dobby is pleased, Master Harry Potter-Snape. Can Dobby do anything else for Sir?"

"Well, I did kind of get lost looking for my dog. He was chasing after something and I didn't want him to get into trouble. My grandfather is babysitting me and I'd hate to upset him."

"Who is Master Harry Potter-Snape's grandfather?" Dobby asked, frowning deeply.

"Albus Dumbledore. My Daddy is like a son to him? So that means, I'm like a grandson to him. Daddy and Echo are on a date so they can get married soon."

"Dobby help Master Harry Potter-Snape to find dog so Master Headmaster doesn't get mad. Taking the little boy by the hand, the house elf led Harry out of the kitchen and then they went to find Hector.


Remus gathered all the pieces of parchment together and rolled them up neatly. As he did so, he looked around the Headmaster's office, noting that something wasn't quite right. Frowning slightly, while Albus said something he wasn't listening to, Remus took a second, more careful look.

It's too quiet, he thought. "Albus, where's Harry?"

Albus, who'd been chattering on about his speech for the Sorting Hat Feast, stopped in mid-sentence. Standing up from his desk, he glanced around.

"Harry?" both wizards said at once.

"He followed that walking carpet about twenty minutes ago, Albus," supplied Phineas Nigellus Black.

"I've just had a report from another portrait that there's been a disturbance in the Armoury Corridor on the third floor," piped up past Headmistress Mimsy de Borogroves.

"Oh dear!" Lifting the hem of his robes, the Headmaster, thanking Severus for his now 75 years, darted out of his office. A second later and Remus was right behind him.


It was the subtle whispering that really intruded first. Severus had almost been able to ignore the stares but the not terribly subtle whispers which felt like they were being said directly into his ear.

Although he still had enemies there were many more ordinary witches and wizards who had a negative opinion of the supposed ex-Death Eater who had adopted the Savior of the Wizarding World and had an air of expectation that he could live like normal folk. Their opinions had been largely influenced by stories from reporters like Rita Skeeter and the plethora of gossip magazines that seemed to be everywhere these days.

The whispering in the ballroom ranged from why he wasn't in Azkaban with his fellow Death Eaters to speculation on whether or not he hurt Harry to keep him in line, and did Dumbledore know.

Severus did his best to ignore the whispers, and almost had when Echo whispered, "I'm about ready to hex every gossip in here, Severus."

"It is casting a bit of a pall on this otherwise perfect eve..." he whispered back, but was rudely interrupted.

"You're not one of us, Death Eater."

Severus look into the scowling face of Griselda Fudge, the recent widow of the late Minister of Magic, the corrupt and discovered Death Eater Cornelius Fudge. Before he had a chance to reply, the elder witch's hand connected sharply with his cheek.

"You should have been right next to Cornelius as he was kissed, Severus Snape!" she said tightly with all the loathing she had for him.

A slim man, some years older than Cornelius Fudge had been, grasped the angry and distraught woman by the upper arm. "Griselda, my dear..." he tried to tug her away, embarrassed by the scene.

"He murdered my husband, Monty!" she suddenly screeched as she yanked away. "He dared to sit before the Wizengamot elaborating on my husband's so-called crimes when his were no no doubt just as horrible!"

"Severus was fighting for the side of Light, you viperous harridan!" Echo shouted, getting in the older witch's face. "Your husband was getting rich on the misfortune, misery, and deaths of innocents!" Echo grasped an ostentatious, triple strand of pearls about the woman's throat and jerked. The pearls went flying in all directions.

There were gasps of shock at what Echo had done but those were shushed by a smattering of applause. Whatever many of those couples had been whispering about Severus Snape, the crimes of Cornelius Fudge, it seemed, far outweighed whatever perceived evil the Potions Master had perpetrated in the name of the Light.

Griselda Fudge was dragged, practically kicking and screeching from the dance floor by her companion wizard, and the owner of the ballroom came gliding across the floor nimbly avoiding all of the still scattering pearls.

The owner was an elegant, grey-haired wizard with crinkly eyes, a lined face, and wearing an impeccable tuxedo that hadn't one single wrinkle in it. Bowing quickly towards both Echo and Severus, he deftly managed to steer them from the dance floor and to a secluded alcove.

When the wizard spoke, Severus expected a very posh and perhaps affected accent to come forth, but the man's voice was simple, betraying a simple birth he showed no desire to hide. His smile was restrained, yet genuine.

"Master Snape, Madame," he bowed a second time. "I do regret that my establishment was the scene of such an embarrassing scene. I do hope this doesn't put you off the Glass Ballroom for good, although I sincerely understand if it does." The owner then glanced around surreptitiously and leaned closer to Severus. "If I may say, Master Snape, I, for one, am quite glad of your contribution to the war. I am Muggle-born and my grandfather was a spy during the Muggles World War II. He dealt with slanderous attacks on his character most of his life including a rather sordid, and unflattering autobiography during his time as a spy. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, sir."

Severus blushed in embarrassment. He was pleased to have someone, even if it were just one stranger, acknowledge what he'd done, but the praise struck him awkwardly. He simply nodded politely, not really knowing what to say. It was Echo's grace that saved him as she placed a hand on the man's forearm.

"You're very kind to say so, sir and I'm sure that I speak for Master Snape as well when I say that it is good to have at least one advocate in his court. What is your name, sir?"

"Gregory Westland Lysander, Madame," he bowed and formally kissed the back of her hand. He then addressed Severus. "By now my staff has escorted Madame Fudge out of here and I can assure you that she will never be allowed to return. Lysander then smiled broadly. "I know you're both very tempted to leave, but as your lovely lady is dressed so perfectly for dancing, would you like to indulge her in one last whirl upon the dance floor, Master Snape? Any style of your choosing, if you wish."

Severus did want to vacate the premises, but he hated that their perfect date might end on such a sour note. He caught a glimmer of hopefulness in Echo's eyes and then asked, "A Tango, Mr. Lysander? With the music, 'Por una cabeza' by Carlos Gardel."

"Of course!" The man practically spun away like a dervish as he made his way to the small orchestra across the room.

Echo's jaw had dropped. "A Tango? Severus!" she gasped in dismay. "A Waltz, yes, but a Tango? I'll make such a fool of myself."

Looking worried, but trusting Severus, Echo allowed herself to be drawn out onto the dance floor just as the sweet strings of the violin began.

It was a slow, almost tentative beginning to the music which gave Severus time to draw Echo close in his arms, one hand splayed possessively across her mid-upper back. He took a moment to tip her chin so he could capture her gaze with his own. A slight smile of confidence and he drew her across the floor.

Just as she thought she was getting used to the Tango, the violins became sharp, and the pianist seemed to crash her fingers against the grand piano keyboard. In that same jolt of music, Severus' grip tightened and then she was released with a spin and so deftly stopped as he still held onto her hand that she giggled with her dizziness. Severus merely snapped her back into his arms, but it was not a collision of their bodies, but a flowing of two elements brought together.

Echo was breathless and she felt her heart beating rapidly, not from the dance itself, but for the wizard she danced with. She felt heady, desired, and endless. She never wanted to let go as Severus expertly guided her across the dance floor. Not once, during their Tango, did Echo become conscious of the fact that she and Severus were the only couple on the dance floor.

The Tango did end, though, as simply as it began, but with Severus dipping her backwards sublimely, supporting her firmly, and placing a chaste kiss of promise to her lips.

Never in her life had Echo blushed. Young ladies with her olive coloured skin, for all anyone could see, didn't blush. Yet her blood had warmed considerably and a delicious darkening rose to her cheeks that Severus could not resist kissing as he quickly swept her off the dance floor and out into the night.

Echo never saw the carriage arrive, nor was she even conscious of having climbed up into it. All her senses were upon the wizard who had her wrapped in his arms, his kisses all but devouring her and causing her to think and to wish for a more intimate end to the evening.

Thinking of such delights unfortunately brought forth a cruel spectre, that of Oland Childermass. When she reluctantly broke from kissing Severus, she clutched at his frock coat and buried her face against the softness of his waistcoat. Her felt her slight tremble and was dismayed to realise it was not a tremble he had pleasantly caused.

"I'm sorry," she rasped, fighting back a tear.

A slim, gently encouraging index finger lifted her chin and brushed at the small tear that had escaped.

"Olan..."

Severus placed two fingers against Echo's lips. "I will not, ever, force you, my dearest Echo." His voice caressed her softly and she slipped her arms about his waist. "Like you, I need to be cautious, but I must admit that I do want you... completely."

"I just want to be sure, Severus," she whispered in a soft, almost timid voice.

"As do I. It has been a very long time since I felt so towards a woman as I do you, Echo. I have had to hide behind a facade for such a long time that it's a bit..." he didn't want to say it, but he truly wanted to be honest with Echo. He took a deep breath and kissed her forehead. "It is a bit... frightening... to be free to love as I choose without worrying about others using that against me."

Echo nodded, understanding completely. The love she'd once had for Oland had been used against her as well. She kissed Severus softly, slowly, and then relaxed, leaning her head against his chest. If only she could tell Severus what was in her heart, but Oland's spectre still haunted the edges of her conscience and she could only embrace Severus tighter.


It felt to Harry like he and Dobby had walked all over the castle. In truth, they'd only been walking through what amounted to a maze of corridors and the crazy moving steps for less than fifteen minutes. Dobby had spoken to a few of the portraits and since some had seen the dog, he knew that the familiar was chasing after Mrs. Norris.

The house elfs didn't like Mrs. Norris and had a long time ago come to a silent agreement that they left her alone and she left them alone. Dobby's mind was running around in circles trying to figure out if helping Master Harry Potter-Snape to find his dog, who was chasing the cat, would, in turn, be an elf bothering the cat.

Finally he decided and the house elf stopped. "Master Harry Potter-Snape, Dobby is very sorry, but is to being called away. Hector Dog is chasing Mrs. Norris Cat that way." The elf tapped his ears, making them flop back and forth. "Keep ears sharp, you hear Hector Dog, Master Harry Potter-Snape."

"Okay." Dobby started to Pop away, but he was stopped by the little boy clutching the sleeve of his jumper. "Dobby, could you stop calling me Master Harry Potter-Snape, please? That's a mouthful." The house elf cocked his head, considering. "Maybe just Master Harry?"

Dobby's head bobbled happily, knocking three hats off his head. "Yes, Master Harry! Dobby is pleased to oblige." Summoning the hats magically he took Harry's hand in his and then patted it affectionately with his other hand. "Dobby misses old Master Harry Potter, Master Harry. He was kind, noble, generous to old Dobby. For Master Harry Potter, I am your most devoted... friend, Master Harry." The elf grinned and tapped an ear. "You need help, Dobby hears."

Harry was so happy at making such a wonderful friend, he threw his arms around the house elf's skinny neck, gave him a squeeze, and then let go. "Thanks, Dobby! Maybe you can come and play with me sometime. I'll ask my Daddy. Bye, Dobby!" Harry ran down the corridor the house elf had pointed him down.

Dobby shook his head as his cheeks colored a bright green. He then looked upward and whispered, "I take care of Master Harry, Master Harry Potter. You be happy now." With that sweet sentiment, he vanished with a pop.


Harry ran harder when he heard the horrible crashing. Tears glistened in his green eyes as he expected the worst of his beloved familiar. At top speed he rounded the corner entering the narrow corridor.

"Hector!" The dog let out a mournful howl, but wouldn't move. Harry looked around at the mess of metal armour and kicked at a nearby helmet. It was heavy and only caused his toes pain. He was too short to get to his distraught dog.

"I'll get grandpa, Hector!" called Harry. "Don't be scared!" Harry turned, leaving the corridor and sprinted back the way he'd come. He was just rounding another corner when he collided solidly with his grandfather. Albus caught Harry, but was unable to stop the backward momentum and was summarily knocked right back into Remus.

Remus kept Albus from hitting the ground and for a moment, all three talked at once, not making any sense to either.

"Stop! Stop!" ordered Albus. It was instantly quiet. "Harry, what's going on?"

"Hector's trapped, grandpa, and he's scared!" Grabbing Albus' and Remus' hands, he pulled both men back to the narrow corridor.

Hector was howling now, a mournful sound that seemed to fill the entire castle. He felt like a huge chicken, stranded amongst all the fallen armour, but it's horrible crashing sounds still echoed in his sensitive ears. He'd been happy to see his boy, but with the jangle still rattling his mind, he couldn't hear what his beloved boy was saying. The poor dog's heart sunk when just as quickly as his boy arrived, he was gone again. He let out another howl, hoping his boy would come back soon.

"There's Hector!"

Hector's tail thumped rapidly as he saw his boy and the bearded one. This time, he could also hear Harry. He barked.

Albus frowned at the mess of armour and then down at his grandson. "Harry, how could you have done this?"

Harry's eyes goggled and his mouth dropped open. "Grandpa! I didn't do this!" he protested sharply.

Albus ignored the protest and continued to lecture Harry. "Have you any idea how old some of this enchanted armour is, child?"

Harry could only shake his head. "But, I..."

Albus held up a hand, but he was scowling. "I thought I could trust you not to wander in the castle, Harry, especially after you got lost last year in the dungeons."

Hector barked again. He really hated this corridor and he was now planning on eating that ghastly cat, if he caught her.

As for Harry, he stomped his foot angrily and clenched his fists as he shouted, "It wasn't me!"

Albus was about to say something else, but Remus interrupted. "Headmaster, it is possible that the dog could have done this himself. He's just a bit larger than Fang."

Harry caught his grandfather's hand in his own and entreated, "Honestly, grandpa, I was just followin' Hector and I thought I lost him until I heard all this crashing. Also, I don't think Hector did this on purpose. He was chasing a really ugly cat. Please believe me?"

Albus sighed, regretting that he'd been too quick to blame Harry. The 'ugly cat' could only have been Mrs. Norris who had been napping in the Headmaster's favorite fireside chair moments after Severus and Echo had left.

"I am sorry, but it seems Mrs. Norris may be at fault. Stand behind me and let me see what I can do about this mess."

Harry dutifully stood behind his grandfather, but quickly peeked around the colourful, patterned robes and called out to Hector. "Just stay put, Hector! Grandpa'll save you!" Harry then grabbed Remus' hand and pulled him behind his grandfather, too. Just in case.

Albus raised his arms and intoned a rather impressive spell and with round eyes, Harry watched in astonishment as all the armour picked itself up. Those suits that had lost pieces in the fall, gathered up what they lost, put themselves back together, and in five minutes, the Armoury Corridor was nice and neat.

Hector immediately broke from where he was and ran to his boy. He lavished thankful kisses all over his boy's face, practically wagging the entire half of his tail end.

"Well," said Remus. "Now that all is well, I think I will take myself to Hogsmeade for the evening." He smiled and ruffled Harry's hair. "You take care of your grandfather, Harry. I'll see you tomorrow, Albus."

"Thank you for your help, my boy," smiled the Headmaster. "Come along, Harry. I think we're running a bit behind for dinner."

Harry was very glad that his grandfather finally believed him and that now Hector was all right. He waved good bye to Remus and then walked with Albus back to his office where a cosy table had been set with all of Harry's favorite dishes.


Echo had encouraged Severus to not only take off his shoes and socks, but to roll up the hems of his trouser pant legs until they were just below his knees. Echo had deftly hitched up the diaphanous skirt of her dress until a wide swath of it was around her waist leaving the rest to dangle at a kant just a bit below her thighs. She'd kicked off her dancing shoes and then dragged Severus down to the waters edge along the beach that passed their cottage.

Severus and Echo didn't talk but they walked along the cool surf, kicking at it, picking up seashells until Severus took Echo into his arms once more and they danced, slowly, beneath the winking stars and the yellow moon.


Albus was beginning to feel every single one of 120 plus years, even though he was now 75. He'd been trying, rather unsuccessfully, to put his grandson to bed, but Harry was eluding him at every turn.

First the child had resorted to polite pleading as he tried to appeal to his grandfather's sense of reason.

"But Daddy said I could stay up 'til eight, grandpa. Maybe it would be all right to stay up until... uhm... 8:30. I'll still get lots of hours of sleep, right?"

Harry's smile as he delivered his argument was winsome, but there was a touch of slyness that Albus had only ever seen on the young Severus Snape.

"Bedtime, now, dear boy," the Headmaster repeated firmly for the third time.

"Oh wait!" Harry cried with an afterthought. "I didn't take a bath!"

Well, Harry had him there, the older wizard had to admit. He was well aware that Severus was adamant that Harry always have a bath before bed. It was really a clever trick, Albus smirked to himself. The warm water and steam was a very good way to relax the little boy and it aided in bringing about slumber quicker.

"All right, but let me show you the Prefect Boys Bath."

"Is it a secret?" asked Harry, suddenly intrigued.

"Of a sort," he explained as they took one of the many hidden passageways the Headmaster employed to get around to the well used areas of the castle. "There is a Prefect Girls Bath and of course the one I just mentioned. When a student is made a Prefect, a rather great honor, I might add, they are given a password that lets them in to use the bath. It is then theirs to use for the rest of the year."

"What's a Prefect do, grandpa?"

"They assist their Head of House, Harry. They keep an eye on their fellow students and make sure that the rules of the House are followed."

"So each house has a Prefect?"

"Two for each House, a boy and a girl. They are usually in their fifth or sixth year and they report to the Head Boy or Head Girl."

Before Harry had a chance to ask another question, they had entered the lavish Head Boys Bath. The wide floor held a sunken pool of sapphire blue water. The walls were decorated by tall, narrow stain glass windows that depicted pretty mermaids sitting on rocks, singing or combing their long hair. The mermaids in the windows all cooed sweetly at Harry and he blushed at their attention.

All the taps and fixtures were of highly polished gold. With a tap of his wand, Albus sent purple suds into the water and he tapped another fixture that warmed the water until it was just right.

"Gra..." Albus was busy testing the water, so Harry walked over and tugged on his sleeve. He leaned towards his grandfather as the elderly wizard bent downward. "Grandpa, the mermaids'll all see me naked."

A wave of his wand and Harry now wore a pair of red swimming trunks with yellow ducks on them. Harry frowned at the pattern, but his grandfather liked weird patterns.

Albus gave Harry a hand into the bath and the little boy let out an excited yelp. "Whee! Can I splash and swim, grandpa?"

"Of course you can, child, but keep the shouting down, would you?"

"I will!" Harry splashed, threw purple suds into the air, ducked under the water and then exploded upward with gasping laughter, and did it all again.

Fifteen minutes later, Albus coaxed the thoroughly soaked child out of the water, threw a towel over him, and rubbed him dry. A Drying Spell took care of his long hair.

"Now you're ready for bed," Albus declared, feeling somewhat triumphant.

That triumph ended the second they entered his quarters. Far from relaxing the boy, Harry was keyed up with a desire to run around and lift every single knick knack on his grandfather's shelves.

Albus tried to cajole, to be patient, and admonished Harry everytime he went for a shiny knick knack the Headmaster really didn't want his grandson playing with. His patience hit the edge when Harry was struck with a case of butterfingers and dropped a delicate, porcelain statue to the floor where it shattered in hundreds of tiny pieces.

"Harry!" the elder wizard finally snapped. "Look what you've done! I asked you a dozen times not to pick those things up. Merlin's teeth, child, why are you behaving as those you've a belly full of Cornish Pixies?" He steered Harry away from the broken porcelain and the little boy leaned ashamedly against a sofa.

"I'm sorry, grandpa." He frowned as his grandfather vanished the mess. "Can't you repair it?"

"You need to understand, Harry, that there are some fragile objects that cannot be easily repaired by magic. I happen to own quite a few of these delicate collectibles and that statue was one of them. I'm very disappointed and angry with you, child. I thought you had more respect for my things."

Harry was starting to sniffle and he wiped at the tears that began to trickle down his cheeks. "I didn't mean to break it, grandpa. It just slipped."

"Ah, so it's the statue's fault is it?" Harry gaped at his grandfather and noted for the first time that the twinkle was noticeably missing. His grandfather's foot was also tapping ominously on the floor.

"Grandpa?" he asked, puzzled and a little afraid about what would come next.

"Ten minutes in that corner," pointed Albus. "No talking, no fidgeting. Go."

His chin practically against his chest, he hurried over to the corner and stood within it, staring at the wall. Harry felt horrible, but he really couldn't help it. His grandfather had so many pretty and shiny things and he just wanted to touch them all. Some of them were clockwork mechanisms and those really fascinated him. If he wasn't to touch them, why did his grandfather have them right where he could reach them?

Albus, now seated in a very worn, tapestry chair by the fireplace, drummed his fingers rhythmically upon the arm of the chair. As he looked around his inner sanctum, his home at the topmost part of the tower above his office, he sighed with the realisation that his home was not at all 'Harry-proof'. He knew Harry was easily dazzled by pretty things so he should have removed everything to higher shelves, or cast a spell that would have prevented the child from being able to grasp those objects he so valued.

"Harry? Child, come over here."

Harry turned from the corner and hurried over to his grandfather. He waited for Albus to say something to him, but the old wizard just sat there, drumming his fingers. Finally, Harry couldn't take the silence anymore and spoke up.

"Grandpa, I really didn't mean to break your statue. I am sorry." He laid a hand over the drumming fingers.

"I know you didn't mean to break it, child. What you did wrong was disobey me. I asked you at least three times not to touch my things on the shelves, but you went ahead and did so anyway." Albus sighed heavily and suppressed the yawn that threatened. "What's more, my dear Harry, is that it is now nearly 9:30 and your father wanted you in bed, at the latest, by eight o'clock. I am severely disappointed in your behavior and tomorrow, when your father picks you up, I shall discuss your disobedience with him and leave any further punishment in his hands. Now, go brush your teeth and then get into bed. I'll be there in a few minutes to tuck you in."

Harry shuffled off towards the bathroom. Albus closed his eyes until he heard the little boy climbing into the bed he'd conjured in his small sitting room. He then lifted himself from the chair and went over to tuck the child in. Harry had been crying silently and Albus conjured a soft handkerchief to dab away the tears.

"Grandpa," Harry sniffled after Albus had him blow his nose into the handkerchief. "I know I was bad and I really feel terrible for being such a git to you. Does this mean I can't be your grandson anymore?"

Albus smiled gently and cupped Harry's cheek with his long, thin fingers. "My sweet little boy, you'll be my grandson no matter what trouble you ever get into. I love you, dearly, Harry. Always and forever." Albus bent over and kissed his grandson's cheek and then tucked him in.

"G'night, grandpa."

Albus Nox'd the lights and then glanced back at Harry before retiring to his room. "Goodnight, child."

Chapter End Notes:
A Westland Lysander was a famous reconnaissance, or spy plane used in WWII. Sev and Echo's Tango is based upon the wonderful Tango scene from Scent of A Woman. There are several great YouTube videos if you want to see it AND hear the music that Sev and Echo danced to.