Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 34

The next morning after breakfast, Harry and Severus' ritual of writing and answering letters began. Harry had received an unexpected letter from Ron. It was a simple letter that talked about his summer so far, his brothers, and some of the mischief they'd gotten up to.

Harry, who still hadn't been certain if he really liked Ron that much since the redhead had a temper that ran from cold to hot and back again too swiftly for the little boy, was pleased by the letter and had to reply right away. His letter was a very long one and when he was finished, he asked his father to proofread it for him.

When all the letters were written that needed to be taken care of, Severus handed his son a light jumper and bade the boy to take a walk with him.

They walked out the back door and through the short gate. Closing the back gate, father and son headed down to the beach.

It was a lazy feeling day and the light mist from the churning sea cooled the air nicely. Harry crouched down to pick up seashells and little bits of polished glass. Soon his pockets were full of his little collections and so Harry started to hand what he picked up to his father.

Coming to a large piece of driftwood, Severus directed Harry towards it and they both sat down.

"You wanna talk about my dreams, don't you, Dad?" Harry asked softly as he played with a piece of rounded blue glass frosted from the surf and the sand.

Severus didn't let his surprise show. It threw him a little off-balance when Harry was this perceptive. He nodded, but then said, "Yes," when he saw his son wasn't looking at him.

"I'm not going to wish for silence anymore," the hope in his voice that his father would let the discussion end there made his gut clench tightly.

"That's good, son. You do know it's important that I know whenever you're hurting or afraid, don't you?"

"Aunt Petunia said I whined too much," Harry stated softly as he dropped the piece of glass and reached into his pocket for a bit of shell to turn over and over in his hands.

"You don't whine," Severus said stiffly. He frowned, then his face relaxed as he had an idea. "Harry, if you were a parent, how would you feel if your son or daughter was afraid but you didn't know it?"

Harry considered the question. "Can't my kid tell me she's afraid?"

"No. She's been taught all her life to keep pain and fear to herself, so no, she can't say anything to you."

"But, I find out somehow, right?" Harry was still turning the shell over in his hand, but his questions to his father were serious. He wanted to answer his father's question, but he needed more information. That was what Severus had been teaching him about doing research.

The corner of Severus' mouth lifted slightly. "Yes, you do find out."

"Well, I think I'd be kinda mad, at first, but not at my kid, cause I don't like being angry at someone I love. Frustrated, I guess."

"What do you think you might do with your daughter to get her to trust you enough to let you know when she's afraid, or hurting?" Severus asked carefully.

"Lots of hugs and kisses, cause, well, there's just never enough of those. Then I'd... uhm... oh," he paused as a thought struck him. "Dad, does my kid... my daughter... have a toy or a pet or something like that?"

Severus was intrigued by where Harry was going with this hypothetical child of his, so he continued with the game. "Well, since I let you have a toy to sleep with and a large dog, and an owl, I think you'd be just as generous to your child, don't you?"

"Oh yeah, I would." Harry smiled and for a brief moment he was caught in the fantasy of someday having his own kids where they'd play a lot, and run, and do all kinds of neat things together like he and his father did.

"Okay, well, you know sometimes kids get m'barassed when they're scared and stuff and it's kinda hard to talk to Mum and Dad. Parents get emotional, you know?" Severus bit down on the chuckle that threatened. He nodded at Harry. "All right so... uhm... so, a pet or a toy is real important for a kid because they're secret keepers and they don't get all upset over what their kid's going through."

"Indeed? I never thought of that." He hadn't. At least, not for a very long time. He did recall a very worn bear he once had when he was four years old. Its fuzzy fur was worn away, both eyes were gone, and its embroidered nose was no longer satiny. When his father, Tobias, would beat him, he would curl up in his bed with the bear in his arms, and while weeping, he would tell the bear all his hopes and dreams, what he feared most, and his greatest secrets. The bear never passed judgment, never got upset or indignant, and the bear never, ever told anyone his secrets.

"I can see how that's important, Harry, but then, what do you do, as a parent when you need to know what is causing your child to be afraid, or hurt? As a good parent, you want to help stop what causes the fear, and to heal the hurts." He was very curious to see if his son had an answer.

"Well, that's easy," said Harry blithely. "I'd just cuddle my kid and instead of making him talk to me, I'll just hold him while he talks to his pet or his toy."

Severus placed his arm over his son's shoulder, tugged him near and kissed the crown of his head. "Your children are going to be very lucky to have you as a father someday, Harry."

Harry blushed. "I just learned from you, Dad. Sometimes, though, even a Dad needs to remember what being a kid was like."

"So he does. Would you like to talk to Hector or your dragon?"

Harry dropped the shell, then slipped off the driftwood to pick it up. He remained crouched down and drew his finger through the patch of sedge grass and sand.

He knew his father was going to use his idea, and it wasn't a bad one, but he still hesitated for a long moment. Stuffing the shell back into his pocket, he asked, "Hector, but can we sit under the olive tree?"

"Of course. Maybe we'll have some of Mrs. Weasley's Blackberry Tarts, too."

Harry took his father by the hand, and tugged him from the piece of driftwood.


Nestled between the two largest roots, and a few strategically cast Cushioning Charms, Harry sat on his lap, with his back against his father's chest and Hector was comfortably wedged in beside them with his head resting on Harry's lap. Harry had twined his fingers in the thick ruff of Hector's collar, intermittently stroking the dog's broad head.

There was no preamble for Harry. He just began speaking softly to Hector, first telling the dog about last night's nightmare. Severus listened, keeping any questions he had to himself. As Harry opened the floodgates on his fear of the nightmare of the Snake Man killing his mother, the little boy shifted so his father was able to hold him closer.

"I know my mum is dead, Hector, and she won't come back, but I wish I could at least save mum in my dream. I'm just a little baby and he's big and has lots of power and all I can do is cry. It's not fair, you know, but I keep trying."

Harry hugged Hector and the dog licked his face. Severus did not move or say anything, yet, and soon, Harry was telling his familiar about another nightmare.

"I was doing everything right, Hector. The eggs were perfect, the bacon was, too, but it was Uncle Vernon's fault. He didn't get up for breakfast and Aunt Petunia got mad about that. Then when she splattered herself with the bacon grease after trying to make me move faster and clean dishes, she got all screamy scary. The grease flew from the pan and she was swinging it all around. Dudley ran from the kitchen and he was yelling, 'she's gonna kill the freak!' I thought she did, too, cuz the pan crunched into my head. Just like in the cartoons that Dudley sometimes let me watch, I saw stars circling around my head. Then, I saw myself in this coffin, but it was thrown out in the garbage cuz no one was really sad I was dead."

Harry leaned over so he could settle his chin on the dog's head. "Sometimes, when I was in my cupboard, I'd pray to die so I could be with my Mum. My Daddy came, though, and I didn't want to die anymore. He'd be very sad if I did. But, I still miss my mum. I don't dream so much anymore about Aunt Petunia since me and Dudley write letters, now. Aunt Petunia scared him, too, and he'd hit me sometimes, but it was because he was hurting. Dudley wasn't allowed a pet cuz they're dirty and after he was four, Dudley was too old for stuffed toys and Aunt Petunia threw away his sock monkey."

Harry's soft chatter drifted further away from his nightmares and Severus continued to listen as Harry talked happily about Draco, Hermione, and even Ron. He talked about Quidditch, but it wasn't as much fun as flying was. Severus was a bit startled to learn that Harry had no desire to be on a Hogwarts House Quidditch team.

"I'm better with Potions, Hector, and if I'm going to work on a sailing ship someday, I gotta be really good at Potions. That's what matters, you know?"

After several long minutes of quiet, Severus saw that Harry had fallen asleep with his arms wrapped around the dog's neck. Levitating the little boy, it took a few minutes to extricate himself gracefully from the roots of the olive tree, but once done, he carried his son into his bedroom and tucked him into bed.


Echo had cleared away breakfast and the dishes quickly. Lunch was to be leftovers from last night's dinner, so there was no need to indulge in cooking that afternoon.

While Severus walked with his son, Echo went into the living room and curled up on the end of the sofa. She then summoned a tapestried box that held her embroidery supplies.

The Academy in Salem, Massachusettes had some very old-fashioned ideas and one of those was that a woman had to have a creative, domestic skill in addition to a strong knowledge of Domestic Magic. It was an attitude that often grated on her nerves, especially when she saw the boys being taught to fly and not the girls. Girls were also not allowed on the Quidditch teams, which was one of the reasons The Salem Academy would not entertain tournaments with other schools that allowed female players.

Echo had been taught by her father to cook even before she went to Primary School, so when she had to choose her creative, domestic skill in her second year, she chose embroidery since it seemed to be the least annoying.

She had hated embroidery while she was in school. Her instructor was no more artistically inspired than her Potions instructor was. She was taught the basic stitches, taught how to embroider upon different types of fabric and using different types of thread. She did her assignments and once she had graduated from the Academy, she swore she'd never pick up a needle and thread ever again.

It was during the beginning of her business with the bookshop that she took up the needle again. Sometimes there wasn't much to do in the bookstore, and as much as she did love her books, she couldn't read all the time.

Of course, it was a book that had her picking up thread and needle again, and this time she found the embroidery to be a creative outlet for herself. Fond of the old fashioned tapestries one might find in a castle, Echo didn't embroider mundane things like pillow cases, cuffs, or skirt hems. She created miniatures with her needlework and eventually she began to sell her little masterpieces.

Once Oland had taken over her life, just as he no longer allowed her to go to her bookshop, he did not allow her to express herself through her embroidery.

When Severus, Draco, and Remus had emptied the hidden room at the house, she had been delighted to discover that her old sewing box was with her possessions.

Echo wasn't as good with faces as she wished she were, but she did very well with landscapes. Solonus Isle had many picturesque spots that had become subjects of her miniatures. The ships in the bay were another subject she enjoyed. It was a ship she was working on now, one from her imagination, sitting in the bay of Solonus.

"That's exquisite."

"Ouch!" The needle pricked her finger as she was startled and a drop of blood fell upon the linen canvas. She popped the offended fingertip into her mouth.

Severus stretched over the back of the couch and with a wave of his wand he removed the blood from the linen. "My apologies, Echo."

"Honestly, Severus, I'm going to put taps on your boots!" she glowered.

He chuckled softly and seated himself beside her. Lifting her hand, he kissed the wounded fingertip, lightly licking it with the tip of his tongue.

Echo let out a small gasp. "You're trying to distract me," she sighed.

"Am I succeeding?" He kissed the rest of her fingertips, his tongue darting out to taste each one.

"You certainly are..." she brought his face close and kissed him until they were interrupted by the familiar whooshing sound of the Floo. A folded piece of parchment was spat through and Severus scooped it up off the floor.

"It's Draco's portkey gate information. He'll be arriving between 10:50am to 11:00am on Friday." Severus re-folded the parchment and tucked it into his pocket. He then slipped his arm around Echo and pulled her close to his side. Tipping up her chin, he touched her lips with his thumb. "Now, where were we?"


On Friday morning, the inhabitants of the cottage had awakened early, breakfasted quickly, and then proceeded to get ready to go and pick up...

"Draco's coming! Draco's coming!" Harry was running around the living room like a whirling dervish. He was supposed to be calmly sitting down, waiting for his father and Echo to finish getting dressed, but they were too slow.

Hector came out of the kitchen and was soon bouncing on his front paws and barking. He didn't know what a 'Draco' was, but hopefully it was food.

"To-day... to-day... Dra-co's com-ing to-day!" Harry was now marching, his feet stomping upon the floor.

"Harry! Stop that noise this instant!" came his father's bellow from his bedroom.

"But Draco's coming today, Dad!" Harry shouted back, still marching.

Severus' head stuck out of the bedroom door and he scowled down the hallway. "Sit your bum down this instant, young man! If I have to come out there, I'll Stick you to the chair. Now BE QUIET!"

As his father's door slammed shut, Harry plopped sullenly down on the sofa. Hector jumped up beside him. Suddenly, Harry grinned down at the big dog and whispered in a sing-song voice, "Draco's comin' today, yay!"

Hector licked Harry's face.


"But it's just Draco, Dad. I don't see why I have to wear my robes," protested Harry as his father clasped the neck of Harry's outer dress robes together at his throat. Harry tugged at the collar, choking dramatically. His father pulled his hands away from the collar and slapped them firmly to his sides.

"Because I said so," growled Severus as he combed Harry's hair. "You're going to need a haircut, soon."

"I don't want it cut!" Harry squirmed away from his father's fussing fingers. "Can we go now?"

"Don't whine. And you will get a haircut before school starts, so don't bother arguing with me."

"I'm not arguing," Harry countered tightly. "Come on."

Severus, at the end of his patience, caught his son by the upper arms and lifted him over to his chair. He plopped the boy into it, then knelt down so he was eye level with the child.

"Harry, you're stepping my last nerve," Severus began sharply. "I know you're excited to see Draco, but if you don't settle down, I'll call your grandfather to come and babysit you."

"I'm not a baby!" he pouted.

"Then stop acting like one!" Severus suddenly shouted.

At the same instant that Harry scooted rapidly to the back of the chair, Severus was jerked sharply by his upper arm. He was about to snap at Echo when she shoved two potion phials in his face.

"You both need these, now take them," she ordered.

For a brief second Severus stared at the two potion phials, then gathered them both into his hand. He recognised the Calming Potion and drank his down. He then handed the other phial to his son.

"Just a small sip, Harry. Please?" he spoke softly.

Harry quickly took the potion phial, obediently took a small sip, and then handed the phial back to his father. He stayed scrunched up against the back of the chair.

"Harry?" The fear in his son's eyes was like a blow to his solar plexus. "Son, I'm sorry I shouted at you. I didn't mean to frighten you like that."

Harry, now feeling the effects of the potion, took a deep, relaxing breath and carefully put his arms around his father's neck. He hugged his father just as tightly as Severus hugged him.

"I'm sorry, Daddy. I just want to see Draco. I'm sorry for making you yell."

He ruffled his son's hair and kissed his forehead. Severus then whispered in his son's ear. "There are some things in life you cannot hurry, child, and women getting ready to go anywhere are one of those things."

Severus glared as he felt a slap to the back of his head. Harry, having seen where the slap came from was shocked. "Echo! You can't do that!"

She narrowed her eyes at Severus as he rose to his full height with Harry in his arms. "Your father should not be disparaging towards the female side of Wizard-kind, Harry."

"Disparaging?" scoffed Severus. "I'll have you know, Madame, that I was imparting a simple fact to my son. Women are always late."

Echo smirked and shook a finger in the Potions Master's face. "You'll rue the day, Master Snape."

Catching her hand, he tucked the young woman close to his side. Just as he Apparated his small family, he pinched Echo's backside and she let out a yelp.


Severus, Echo, and Harry arrived just outside the Portkey Station on the Wizarding side of Cypress.

"Severus Snape, you play dirty!" Before the wizard had a chance to put his son down on his feet, Echo pinched his more bony backside and was rewarded with an audible cry of indignation from the man and a look of black-eyed shock.

"I can't believe you just did that!" With her blue eyes sparkling innocently, she smiled sweetly and batted her eyelashes demurely. "Such a saintly creature... as if butter would melt in your mouth. You're a vixen, Miss Prosper." He leaned towards her ear and whispered, "And I intend to keep you that way." Slipping an arm around Echo's waist, he took Harry's hand in his and they walked towards the busy portkey station.

"You two are weird," remarked Harry with a shake of his head as they walked through the double glass doors.


The Cypress Portkey Station was a large place filled with long distance travelers and local people commuting to work on the various wizarding isles of Greece. Harry, never fond of such crowds quickly insinuated himself between both Severus and Echo so he could hang onto each of them.

At one point they stopped as Severus took out a well creased piece of parchment and consulted it. He then looked up at a large clock that was magically visible in all directions.

"Portkey Gate 15," said Severus returning the parchment to his pocket. "He should be arriving soon. Echo, I'll keep an eye on the gate if you'll look to the lounge?"

"I'll keep an eye out, too, Dad," piped up Harry.

"Thank you, Harry." Severus grasped his son's hand again and they walked as quickly as possible to the Portkey Gate.

It was Harry who spotted Draco first. Breaking from Echo and his father's grip, he ran towards the gate lounge, shouted out Draco's name and was caught by the blonde haired boy as Harry threw himself at him.

Draco grinned and squeezed Harry tightly, causing the little boy to gasp on purpose. Harry giggled and pushed away until Draco put him down.

"Hey, Snapelet! I think you missed me." He ruffled Harry's hair.

"I did! Did you miss me, Draco?" asked Harry.

"Absolutely. If it hadn't been for Hermione keeping me company, I would have been so lonely." He looked up just in time to see his godfather. "Hello, Uncle Severus, Miss Prosper."

He blushed terribly as Echo briefly hugged him. "Welcome to Greece, Draco. Remember, you have permission to call me Echo."

"Yes, ma'am," he replied affably. He stuck out his hand towards his godfather and was completely gobsmacked when the older man drew him into a solid, yet brief embrace.

"It's summer, Draco. Harry's rule, we hug here," Severus explained with a slight stiffness.

Draco glanced at the smiling little boy, then back to his godfather. He grinned. "I like that rule."


They Apparated back to the cottage and got Draco settled in his room. Severus took a moment to talk to the boy while Echo put Harry down for a short nap.

"I hope you don't mind watching over Harry while we're gone, Draco, but we need to deal with Echo's house so we can get it put on the market soon."

"That's okay, Uncle. Do you want me to fix some lunch for him when he wakes up?" Draco was unpacking his trunk as they spoke.

"If you would, please? There are plenty of leftovers in the cooler. No pumpkin juice, though. He only gets that in the morning. He can have a chocolate frog or a blackberry tart, but not both."

Draco chuckled. "I know your dislike of things sweet, Uncle Severus. I promise, I won't get him wired up like Weasley did."

"Ah, yes. I had to send Mr. Weasley a Howler for that chocolate frog infraction since term had ended and I was unable to take points. I found not only a stash of fifteen chocolate frogs, but a bag of cockroach clusters, canary cremes, and those disgusting Bertie Botts Beans."

"Really? That much?" Draco shook his head. "How any of the Weasleys still have their teeth intact is beyond me."

"Severus? Harry wants a kiss from you," Echo informed him coming into the bedroom.

"I'll be there in just a moment." Severus turned back to Draco. "If there is an emergency, Floo call Professor Lupin's office. The Headmaster is stuck at the Ministry today so Lupin assured me he'd be available. If you would, keep Harry in the yard. I'd rather that neither of you go down to the beach unless I'm with you."

"I'm sure we'll find plenty to keep us busy, Uncle. I've even got a few trinkets from Hermione and her relatives to distract Harry."

"Ah," smirked Severus. "Shiny objects."

"Face it, Uncle, your son is a raven." Draco shut his trunk. "You know... I wonder when Harry goes back to Hogwarts, do you think he'll get Sorted into Gryffindor again?"

"Echo and I have a bet on that." He chuckled at Draco's wide-eyed look. "I believe he might be Sorted into Ravenclaw. His love for books is as insatiable as Miss Granger's is. Echo, though, feels he's destined for Slytherin."

"Slytherin? The Snapelet? How does she figure that?"

"He has supposedly decided he will become the first Potions Master who will also be a famous artist AND a captain of a tall ship."

"You know, I think he'll do that, too, Uncle. Can I get in on this bet?" he smirked.

"I think not, Draco," smirked Severus.

"Da-ad!" came Harry's plaintive voice.

"It's good to see you, Draco," Severus acknowledged with a short bow and Draco gave the older wizard a polite, yet pleased nod. Severus left the bedroom swiftly and made his way to his son's bedroom where he tucked him in for his nap and extracted a promise from him that he'd behave for Draco.


Echo's house was in a small neighborhood just outside of the village and on a cliffside overlooking the ocean. It was a simple, small house with a small, but dying garden in front, and very little backyard.

Echo tried to ignore the stomachache that was boiling inside her as she and Severus approached the house. She hesitated for only a moment, before forging ahead and going up to the front door. Severus was intrigued by the large skeleton key Echo withdrew from her robe pocket.

"Oland liked skeleton keys," she mumbled. "It's charmed." There was a spark in the lock as she turned the key and then the door popped open.

Pushing the door open further, Echo ushered Severus quickly inside then shut the door sharply.

Severus could barely keep his jaw from dropping at the sight of the small living room. Every square inch, right down to the precisely placed knick knacks was white. Everything within the room had the appearance of being placed in such perfect order, that if something were moved, the Earth might tip off balance. There wasn't a single thing in the room that gave a hint to the occupants personalities.

The room was disturbing, antiseptic, and it angered Severus. With his shin, he nudged the low coffee table off kilter.

"Severus, no!" Echo clapped a hand over her mouth. She was shocked at the fear that coursed through her that Oland might appear through the front door ready to curse her for having upset the symetry of the living room.

"He's dead, Echo," Severus reminded softly.

"I know," her voice was hushed. "This way," she waved, hurrying him towards an inner door. That one opened so silently, it caused the hair to rise up the back of the Potions Master's neck.

The eerie feeling didn't leave him as he stepped into the room that had been Echo and Oland's bedroom. If anything, it was more shocking than the living room and he couldn't help but wonder how in the world she'd maintained her sanity.

Just as the living room was spotlessly and flawlessly white, the bedroom was absolutely pitch, flat black. There wasn't a single bit of colour anywhere from the heavy black drapes over the windows, to the black sheets, pillows, duvet, carpet, and furniture.

"Oland never allowed light in here," she said and her voice sounded as flat as the colour of the room.

"I'm not certain I want to know what your kitchen or bathroom is like," Severus said with disgust.

"The bathroom is yellow and the kitchen is... red. I couldn't stand to eat in that kitchen. It felt as though it was covered in blood."

"Is there anything in the kitchen you want?" he asked uneasily.

"Not a bloody thing," she intoned and he winced at the pun in the curse. "This way."

Echo led him towards the closet. She pulled open the door, ignored the clothing and went straight to the back. She pressed her hands in two particular areas then pushed sharply against the wall. There was a rough grinding and then Echo was pulling the depressed piece of wall to the left. When she vanished into the even deeper black hole beyond, Severus started after her but was suddenly blinded by the very welcome warmth of dozens of candles in wall sconces coming to life within.

The hidden room was everything that was Echo. There was furniture that didn't match, paintings, curios, small statues, books, throw rugs, linens, and clothing. It was an eclectic collection of stuff, where some things matched, others didn't, and a few never would.

The furniture was mostly wood upholstered in tightly woven silk tapestry, the bed was cool and inviting, and a large wardrobe of carved cherry spilled forth its contents. Books of all sizes and age were everywhere there was space for a book.

Severus finally noticed that Echo appeared much more content and relaxed as her fingers dipped into an open jewelry box. "This was my sanity. Oland never knew of it. Everyday when he left to... wherever he went, this is where I would secret myself." She smiled. "These are my things."

"What do you want done with the rest of the house, Echo?"

"Banish everything. The floors under the carpets are hardwood. Paint the walls just a nice shade of cream." A tear slid down her cheek and Severus went over to her, took Echo into his arms and kissed the tear away.

"When this was my house, Severus, it was the loveliest place on earth. Now it's ugly, evil, and I absolutely cannot stand it."

"Let's go home, my dear. Draco, Remus and I will take care of this after dinner. You'll not need to think anymore of it."


"Hey sleepy head."

Harry burrowed deeper under his covers. Mumbling incoherently. Draco yanked off the covers and began tickling the little boy. Harry giggled and screeched until he was able to wriggle free.

Draco smiled, "I've got lunch all ready for us, so get dressed, Snapelet." He made a fake lunge for the little boy, who yelped and ran into his bathroom.

Only a few minutes later Harry arrived in the kitchen and sat down at the table. He took a big bite of his chicken sandwich and tried, unsuccessfully to talk with his mouth full. He managed to only spit out some of the sandwich.

"Harry, that's gross!" grimaced Draco. "Have you been taking lessons in eating from Weasel?"

Just as Harry was about to wipe his mouth on his sleeve, Draco shoved a napkin at him. "Nope. I'm just hungry."

"Well slow it down," the blonde admonished. "You'll make yourself sick and then I'm going to have to stand in the corner when your Dad gets back."

Harry chuckled. "Dad wouldn't do that to you!"

"Wanna bet?"

The child's eyes widened. "Dad would punish you? Can he do that to his godson?"

"Sure he can. And, to his Slytherins."

Harry's jaw dropped. "What's he do?" he half whispered.

"Well, at school he'll usually take points and make us do detention, but there's been a couple of times he's spanked the Firsties."

"Did Dad ever spank you?"

Draco nodded matter-of-factly. "Oh yeah. He did, once or twice during my first year at Hogwarts, but he used to babysit me a lot, and he'd spank me or make me stare at the wall. I hating staring at the wall."

"You didn't hate getting smacked?"

"Well... yeah, but, I don't know. Somehow standing still and staring at a wall just seemed like it took forever!"

Harry nodded sagely. "Dad says I have to think about what I did wrong. So I think, and think, but then my thoughts go everywhere, and then I need to pee."

Draco snorted loudly and grabbed his napkin before the last bite of his sandwich fell out of his mouth. He took a quick drink of milk, and shook his head.

"Merlin! I thought I was the only one who ever felt that way! I thought I'd die sometimes because I needed to go so bad and Uncle Sev was just standing over me going on about how I shouldn't scare Hagrid's chickens or something like that. I didn't care about stupid, scared chickens. I wanted to go to the loo!"

The two boys collapsed into laughter for several minutes. Then, Draco seeing that they were both finished with lunch, picked up the plates and put them in the sink. As he went to pick up the glasses, he noticed a big smudge of mustard on Harry's cheek and he automatically wiped it off with a napkin.

"C'mon, Snapelet. Help me with the dishes and then we'll go play."

Harry pushed away from the table, grabbed his kitchen stool, and once it was in front of the sink, he climbed on it. "You dry," ordered Harry.

"Yes, sir!" saluted Draco.

"Can we fly, Draco? Did Dad say that was okay?"

"He didn't mention it, but I guess if we fly in the backyard and stay low it will be all right. You gotta put your jumper on, though, since there's a bit of a breeze out."

Harry grinned. "I'm glad you're here, Draco."

Draco slipped his arm around Harry's waist and squeezed, eliciting a squeak from the child. He smirked and then ruffled the boy's long hair. "I'm glad I'm here, too, Harry."


Draco, Severus, and Remus had cleared the hidden room in Echo's house of her things some hours ago. A branch of Gringott's on the island had added a storage vault to Echo's old account so nearly everything had gone into it. A few spells had taken care of the unnatural furniture and decor leaving the house empty, but inviting to any prospective buyer.

Remus had stayed for some conversation and hot chocolate (he never turned down chocolate) and they discussed several topics of interest.

"Have you decided where you'll live, Severus?" asked Remus.

Severus, who usually sat in his favorite chair, had chosen that evening to sit beside Echo, who seemed unusually quiet. Harry and Draco were busy with a somewhat quiet game of chess. Severus had no doubt it would degenerate into a noisy battle soon.

"I've looked at some places, but I think my decision is going to be influenced on where Harry will attend Primary School. I'd thought of a Muggle one. The school Lily and I attended is still a very good one. Hogsmeade also has a very good accredited school. We might have to rent a place for awhile especially since Bill will be moving into the Potions Teacher's Quarters."

Remus caught the slight tone of wistfulness in Severus' voice. "I hadn't thought of that. You lived there quite a long time, Severus."

"Indeed," the wizard's tone was flat and did not offer anymore than just that.

Only a few days after Albus had accepted his resignation, the fact that he would be leaving the only home he'd known did not hit him right away. When he'd looked upon his empty quarters he could only think of the short time he'd spent with his son within those rooms. Where it truly caused him pain was when it came to his private lab. Very few people knew of the lab and no one knew but the lab had been a very magnanimous gift from Albus to Severus and he had spent his entire time as a teacher at Hogwarts turning it into his perfect Potions Lab. He would be taking everything within it and then sealing it. Severus was too selfish to ever let anyone in it.

The discussion flitted over other topics until midway through discussing their respective curricula, Echo, pleading a headache, retired to her bedroom.

Severus had sensed that the headache was a ruse, but he'd excused himself from his guests to bring her a headache potion, a phial of Dreamless Sleep Potion, and a cup of her favorite chamomile tea. Echo had thanked Severus for his thoughtfulness, but he got the message that she wanted to be alone.


Echo was sitting upon her bed staring down at an album of wedding photos. She had nearly destroyed all of the photos until she reached the very last one. It was of Oland kissing her just before they climbed into their wedding carriage. At first glance it appeared to be a simple photo of a happy couple. Echo, her eyes clear of all the love she'd ever had for Oland was able to detect small hints in his body language that presaged his final change to his true self. She'd been so blind with love, she'd never seen it.

After fifteen minutes, Echo ripped up the photo and Banished the fragments.

She could admit it only to herself, but Echo was very much in love with Severus Snape. She was terrified, though.

When Echo had met the charmingly deceptive Oland Childermass she had been desperate for the happy home life she'd lost when her parents had been killed by Voldemort. In her mind, her parents life had been childishly idealised; they never fought, they always smiled, it was perfect.

In truth, her parents had fought quite often. Yasmin Leandros Prosper was a passionate and temperamental woman. Antonio Prosper could be just as volatile when his wife pushed his buttons. Echo knew her parents loved each other dearly, but their fights were monumental, often involving broken crockery and a few hexes, and tended to scare little Echo.

In Oland, there had not been the passion her parents had, but there had been what she thought was a secure and perfect life. The change from dream to nightmare had been subtle, back then, but now it was jarring for her to realise that the moment they'd returned to her little house, her world was already shifting.

Echo couldn't stand arguing and wound up acquiescing too easily to Oland's demands. Her every move was accounted for by him and she allowed him to change her house to such an extreme degree that it should have warned her, even scared her back then, but she'd still been hanging onto some fantasy of what she thought was love.

It was Oland's abuses, which escalated with him acquiring an old text that taught him spells that allowed him control over Echo, that turned it all into a nightmare that lasted a little over a year. Imprisoned in her own house, her only respite from his spells and Oland himself, was when he disappeared for the day, leaving her to hide within her secret room.

Within her secret room she was able to hang onto a bit of her sanity. The question of why she had never run away when she had a chance to was simple: Oland had sealed her within the house and she could not leave.

It was strange, but when her marriage ended with the loss of her innocence, her bookshop, and her home, she had felt sad, but not sad enough to kill herself. What had impelled her to walk into the rough sea that surrounded Solonus was a terrifying dread of being alone. In that moment that the waves began to bear her down to the depths of Neptune, Echo had no doubt that death or Oland were preferable to being alone.

As each day edged closer to the beginning of term at Hogwarts, that meant she was closer to being alone again. Echo foolishly had not done anything about finding someplace to live once Harry and Severus go back to their lives.

Echo wanted Severus in her life. With him there was the passion she'd seen many times between her parents. She doubted that they'd ever get into fights where crockery was thrown, but she could envision fights where later they would make up, blissfully enveloped by their passion for each other.

And Harry. Her heart was lost to that endearing child. There were too many times she could envision herself as Harry's mother, especially if she never could have a child of her own.

The problem was that she didn't want to make a mistake. Deep down she knew that Severus Snape was no Oland Childermass. Her good sense told her she would never have to fear the Potions Master, yet within her was that evil spectre of Oland, a taunting, whining, possessive voice that overrode her good sense and stoked her fears.

Putting aside her unfinished tea, Echo stared for a moment at the phial of Dreamless Sleep Potion, and Nox'd her lights. Diving under her covers, she was fast asleep when a half hour later Severus, still worried about the young woman, looked in upon her.


She was back in the cave with Oland, hurting from his Cruciatus Curses. Yet, she wished for more of those as he came closed to her. Echo knew she would fight, even if it meant she'd die. She was NEVER going to let Oland touch her as he had when they were husband and wife. He had no right!

Oland didn't stop as she fought against the Binding Curse. He seemed to find it funny. Maybe that's why he didn't quite notice she'd gotten a little more free. When his lips took hers she couldn't stop the kiss. It was when he pulled back and stroked her lips with his fingertips that she bit him, hard.

Her triumph at his screams was short-lived as she felt as though she were being split apart by fire from her neck to her belly.

Echo jerked awake as her stomach churned dangerously. Pushing the covers off, she sprinted to the bathroom just as her nausea expelled dinner. Sweat broke out on her forehead and the back of her neck and she drifted to her knees as her legs began to shake. Twice more she emptied her stomach, not really aware that her hair was being held back and a cool cloth was being patted against the back of her neck. Soon a potion was held to her lips. The taste was almost enough to make her retch again, but thankfully the potion worked fast enough to finally settle her stomach.

She felt herself being lifted and carried back to her bed where she was tucked in. Another cool cloth bathed her face and a glass of water was brought to her lips. She drank several swallows and closed her eyes.

"What are you doing here, Severus?" she asked wearily.

"It had not struck me until Harry had his nightmare, but I haven't heard you waken from any nightmares and I know you've yet to take the Dreamless Sleep Potion I've given you." He held the glass of water to her lips again. "I then wondered if you might also be putting up a Silencing Spell so I put up a ward that would disable such spells and alert me if you were in distress."

"I suppose it would be too stupid of me to use Harry's excuse that I didn't wish to bother you?"

He nodded, and his reply had a tight edge to it. "It would. Why would you think I wouldn't want to help you through this, Echo? Blast it all, woman, I pulled you from the ocean!" he snapped, keeping his voice low.

"Because I should be able to deal with this on my own!"

"You idiot," he chastised gently, brushing his fingertips to her cheek. "Echo, don't you realise, yet, that I'd never make you suffer these nightmares alone?" She tried to turn away but he caught her chin and eased her gaze back to his. "I would never do that to someone I care for."

"I..." Her voice caught as Oland's face, his mocking laughter as he cut her again swept up before her. Echo rose so swiftly that she knocked the nearly empty glass of water from Severus' hand. He caught her and drew her tightly close. "Severus, I'm afraid," she rasped against his throat.

His heart skipped a beat before he gently pulled away and looked deep into her eyes. He was tempted to Legilimens her thoughts, but he didn't. He was fairly certain of what she was afraid of.

"It isn't Childermass you're afraid of, is it?" She shook her head slowly.

"I know I shouldn't be. You're not Oland... Circe, you're so not Oland!" her small laughter was harsh in her throat. Echo stretched up her hands and cupped his face between them. "I want... but I... can't..." she dropped her hands into her lap.

Severus gathered her limp hands into his. "When you can, I'll be here. Just as I promise to be at your side when your nightmares keep you from sleeping. Allow me that, will you, Echo?"

"No more spells?" she smiled briefly.

His thumb caressed the back of her hand. "No more spells. I don't care if I don't get a single hour of sleep between you and Harry. I don't want either of you to hurt in silence." He pushed her back upon her pillows and brought the covers back up. He started to kiss her when she pushed him back. "What's wrong?"

"Severus!" she chuckled. "I was just sick! I don't think you ought to kiss me."

"Good point," he smirked. "Give me your cheek then, dear one." She turned her head slightly and he kissed Echo's cheek, stroking it once more with his fingertips. He rose, but at the door, he turned. "I do understand if you don't wish to use the Dreamless Sleep Potion, but I will insist upon it if I don't feel you're getting enough sleep. All right?"

Echo nodded. "Agreed. G'night, Severus."

"Good night, my dear." He Nox'd the lights and closed the door. Standing for a moment in the darkened hallway, Severus knew then that he'd lost his heart to Echo. It was a loss he didn't mind at all.