Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 38

"Don't eat me! Don't eat me!" yelled Harry as he woke to a velvety rough tongue licking his cheek.

Draco stumbled out of his bed, worried that Harry was having a nightmare. "What the...?"

Hector was happily snuffling his boy. Remus lupin stood in the archway with the drape over his shoulder. He seemed to be the possessor of some secret joke. Draco scowled at the man as he grabbed his dressing gown.

"What are you doing here?" he groused.

"And good morning to you, too, sunshine. I'm here to make sure you and Harry get ready."

"Morning, Remus! Thanks for bringing Hector." Harry slid out of his bed and shivered slightly. "What's going on?"

Remus motioned both boys over to him and he leaned over, whispering. As he did so, Draco's face lit up and Harry let out a yippiee that was stifled as Draco slapped a hand gently over the noisy boy's mouth.


From the midst of her dreams, Echo shoved at the hands shaking her. She wanted to keep sleeping.

"Come along, dear," came Molly Weasley's voice which held a distinct, amused tone to it.

Echo turned and looked up into the faces of Molly, who sat on the edge of her bed, Hermione, and the youngest Weasley, Ginny.

"Is that lazy child awake, yet?" asked Minerva pushing aside the drape and glancing into the very crowded room.

"Minerva?" Echo finally blurted. "Molly... Herm... what are all of you doing here?"

"We've come to help you dress," giggled Hermione. She had such a big smile on her face that Echo found it a little annoying.

"I think I can..."

Molly interrupted Echo. "I've drawn a nice hot, scented bath for you, so come along. We'd hate to keep Severus waiting."


"I'm wearing black, Albus!" asserted Severus as he stood, barefoot, in a pair of neatly pressed black trousers and a white silk shirt.

Alastor Moody, making himself at home on Severus' narrow cot, snorted and took a long drink of the tea in his flask.

"My boy," cajoled Albus as he held up robes that he'd Transfigured to a bright purple. "You know this is Harry's favorite colour."

Severus looked disdainfully down at the robes that had so recently been black.

Arthur intervened, "Really, Severus, all black is just a bit grim, especially for today." The Minister of Magic divested Albus of the obnoxiously coloured robes and waved his wand over them. They were now dark green trimmed with green silk thread embroidery.

Severus eyed the now dark green robes. "Well, I suppose that's a bit better."

Moody sat up, waved his wand and the Potions Master yelped in protest as his waistcoat, now a satin emerald with silver accents, assaulted him as it wrapped itself around him.

"There ya go! A proper Slytherin," chuckled Moody.

With a glower, Severus snatched the robes from Arthur, and then pointed a long, thin finger towards the main part of the tent. "OUT!"


Fred and George, lashed together, hung suspended from the branches of a nearby tree where they were pleading for their freedom from their eldest brother Bill.

"You can't blame us..." began George.

"There couldn't be a more perfect time..." added Fred.

The twins blanched as Bill smacked them both against the sides of their heads with his hands. "This is not the time for pranks, you idiots! Honestly, you both are businessmen, are you ever going to grow up?"

Fred and George looked thoughtfully at each other and then grinned. "Never!" they both chimed in cheekily.

"Want me to throw 'em in the pool, Bill?" chuckled Charlie.

The twins vehemently protested as Charlie waved his wand threateningly at them.

"Yeah. Give those two a good dunking," replied Bill as he went back to directing a flowering ivy over a trellis arch.

Fred and George were suddenly free of their bonds and were sailing, in a flailing fashion, from the tree and towards the pool of cold water. For a moment they hovered, and then they splashed, with girlish shrieking, into the water.


Harry wore purple dress robes, but they were darker than the loud purple that Albus preferred. His father, neatly dressed and with his long hair tied back in a ponytail, knelt down in front of his son and held out a ring to him.

"It's very important that you hang onto this, Harry. This is the wedding ring I... we will give to Echo and I don't want it to get lost. Can you keep it safe?"

Harry eyed the sparkling ring, then curled it into his fist and tucked it firmly into his pocket. "I'll keep it safe, Daddy."


Echo took a peek out into the main area of the tent so she could watch a very nervous bridegroom pacing in front of Albus, Moody, Remus, and Arthur. There was noise outside, and barking, so she assumed that Harry was occupied with the Weasley boys.

"No you don't, dear!" Molly pulled Echo away from the drape. "Severus is a wreck as it is. He doesn't need to know you're watching him."

Minerva was mumbling something as Molly pushed Echo down on a small stool in front of a mirror. "Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue and a Silver Sickle in Her Shoe."

"Severus planned all of this?" Echo winced as the comb Molly was using on her hair tugged too sharply on a curl.

Minerva stopped her mumbling. "He Apparated to Albus' office last night. Really, you should tell that foolish boy not to Apparate long distance on a full stomach," the elderly witch tsk'ed as she glanced over the rims of her spectacles at Echo.

"I thought he'd just gone for a walk." She smiled at her reflection. "And it's all done?"

"Not quite," said Ginny who was awaiting her chance to do Echo's makeup. "All of us have been busy this morning bringing things together and the boys are decorating."

Hermione giggled, "I don't know if they should have been given the task of decorating, Ginny. Do you remember what the twins did for your birthday last year?"

Ginny glowered. She did remember and it still angered her that Fred and George's decor had taken on a life of its own. To put it mildly, it took the twins two months to completely get rid of every feather that had exploded all over the Burrow. Her birthday had been completely ruined.

"How in the world did you get here to this cove?" asked Echo.

"Portkey," replied Minerva. "I hope you'll forgive me, my dear, but I went through your things back at the cottage and I had a feeling you might wish to wear this on your dress."

Echo turned to see Minerva holding something in the palm of her hand. "My mother's cameo!" She smiled brilliantly. "I do forgive you, Minerva. Most of my jewelry belonged to my mother, but this was always my favorite piece. The little girl standing amongst the flowers I'd..." she broke off as she felt tears burning at the corners of her eyes.

"Ohhhh, what's wrong, dear?" asked Molly soothingly.

Echo forced a smile onto her face. "Nothing, really. Just a silly dream. I always wanted a little girl."

Minerva stopped Molly's good intentioned, hopeful words. Poppy Pomfrey had confided in her about her search for a Healer who could help Echo with her possible fertility problems. The elder witch had said nothing to Echo about her knowledge, but she didn't want Molly to inadvertently rub salt into an open wound.

"That's 'something old', the 'something new' is, of course, your lovely dress. Ah! 'something borrowed' is next. Molly, since you're the happily married woman amongst us, did you find something suitable?"

Molly smiled, "I did, Minerva." Putting down the comb, she withdrew two green jeweled hair combs from her pocket. "My mother gave these to me on my wedding day. These are for you to wear in your hair, today, dear Echo, so that you'll know, even though we've all known each other a short time, that we'll always be there if you need us."

Echo did sniffle and then threw her arms around Molly. "Thank you so much," her voice was choked with unshed tears.

Hermione, who had been busy putting some of the beads that had come off the wedding dress back on, stepped over to Echo and handed her something that was on her palm. "This is 'something blue'."

Echo picked up the small locket that had a filigree design in blue enamel on it. The locket itself was on a silver, double link chain. The bride opened the locket and found within a small drawing of Severus.

"Where did you get the drawing?" exclaimed Echo in wonder.

"Don't tell Harry, but I stole it from his art wall when we went to the cottage this morning and I shrank it." Hermione's cheeks coloured as she blushed.

Echo stood awkwardly, as she was trapped between the stool and the vanity, and gave the young girl a brief hug. Sitting back down, a bit too heavily, she took Hermione's hand in her own and tugged her a bit closer as Molly returned to fixing her hair, and adding the combs.

"Hermione, I was hoping, that since I don't have any family left, that you might stand with me. Would you?" asked Echo, giving the young Gryffindor's hand a squeeze.

Hermione's eyes widened and she smiled as she also blushed. "Ohhh, Echo! I'd be honored. Yes!"


Minerva emerged from Echo's small room with a very self-satisfied smile upon her face. "We're ready, Albus," she spoke softly into the older wizard's ear.

"Ah, good! Sever..." He looked around the main room for the bridegroom, but he was noticeably absent. "Where is Severus?"

Arthur and Moody and Remus had been deep in a discussion over the still recent argument regarding a Marriage Law for eligible, young witches and wizards that was proving to become the bane of the Minister of Magic's tenure. Remus heard Albus and he quickly saw that Severus was nowhere to be seen.

"Perhaps he's inspecting the decor that was left to the boys," Remus suggested.

"Perhaps so!" Albus left the tent and saw an odd gathering of Weasley boys, Hector, a teary-faced Harry and Severus who was berating the twins in between Bill and Charlie threatening to hex the two off the face of the planet.

"Boys! Boys! Whatever is the problem here?" demanded the Headmaster cordially. As he received at least a dozen explanations, Harry threw himself at his grandfather and sobbed even more. "QUIET!"

The silence, except for Harry's weeping, fell like a stone.

"Severus, perhaps you can tell me what the matter is?" Albus leaned down and picked up Harry, casting a silent Featherlight Charm over the child and then patting his back to soothe him.

"These two," Severus grasped Fred and George's suit collars making certain to draw them both onto their tip-toes and then letting go. "Thought it might be fun to feed Echo's wedding ring to Hector."

Albus glanced down at the dog who looked as though he was about to be kicked. He then glared at the twins. "You didn't dare..." he began.

"It wasn't like that at all, Headmaster!" protested George.

"Certainly not, sir," began Fred in earnest. "You see, Harry was hungry..."

"Don't blame my son!" shouted Severus.

"We didn't feed the ring to Hector on purpose!" George stamped his foot angrily.

"But you did anyway!" sneered Severus.

"It was supposed to be a Muggle magic trick," Fred said with a lopsided smile in the hopes of calming tempers. It didn't.

Severus was done shouting and was glaring murderously at the twins.

"Just sleight of hand," said George weakly. "A vanishing act."

"My hand slipped and I dropped the ring..." explained Fred.

"...and Hector ate it," sighed George.

Arthur caught his sons eyes. They could take their old Professor's deadly look, but the bald, obvious disappointment in their father's eyes was so much harder.

Arthur shook his head. "It amazes me how two, highly intelligent and inventive young men can be so utterly thoughtless and stupid." He clouted both sons upon the backs of their heads and sent them, wordlessly, over to a small grouping of chairs to sit down.

"I am beyond sorry, Severus, for my sons behavior," began Arthur. "If there's anything I can do..."

Severus held up a hand and shook his head. "You mustn't blame yourself, Arthur. However, if I choose to pickle your sons, perhaps you might say something in my defense to the Wizengamot?"

Arthur's smile was wan. As he went to join his idiot sons, he gripped Severus shoulder briefly.

"I'm sorry, Daddy!" sniffled Harry, whose tears were finally ending. "It's all my fault. I swore I was going to keep the ring safe and now we can't marry my Mum!"

Severus stretched out his arms for his son as he rolled his eyes in exasperation. Albus let go of Harry as he slid over to his father. As Harry latched onto Severus, he shushed the boy. "It isn't your fault at all and neither is it Hector's. Come along with me. Let's get you washed up."

Albus stopped the Potions Master and whispered, "Don't worry, son. We'll get this figured out."

A few minutes later.

"You look like a man that is stewing over a solution," remarked Remus to Alastor Moody who was staring intently down at the large dog.

"As an Auror, I dealt with quite a few idiots, Mundungus Fletcher comes to mind, who tended to swallow smaller stolen items and contraband Dark Magic. In some cases, it wouldn't do to let... ahem... Nature take its course." The ex-Auror walked around Hector tapping his wooden leg with his wand.

"What are you considering, Alastor?" asked Albus with trepidation. "You do realise that Harry is very attached to Hector."

"Aye, Albus," said the ex-Auror, lifting his head sharply and settling his wandering magical eye for a brief moment on the Headmaster. "It won't hurt all that much. Maybe if Snape has an Anesthetic Potion it won't hurt at all."

Remus stopped the wizard's out loud musings. "Moody, what are you thinking of?"

"Extraction Spell," he stated bluntly.

Remus' eyes flew open in outrage. "Moody! That's dangerous!"

"Not to one who's skilled with it, Lupin!" snarled the old warrior. "And I'm the best there is!"

"But Hector's a dog!" protested Remus.

"It's in 'is stomach, and that's much the same as a wizard's, Lupin," huffed Moody stubbornly. "Think on this, though, if that ring's got a diamond on it, it's going ta cause a sight more damage to the dog working its way out if I don't use the Extraction Spell. Could even kill 'im!"

Remus looked a little green, before turning away. "I'll go see if Severus has access to an Anesthetic Potion." He walked hurriedly towards the tent.


Echo was dressed. Ginny had done her makeup, which was subtle, yet enhanced her features and her blue eyes. She had been waiting patiently, but as twenty minutes passed, her patience was wearing thin.

"What's going on?" she asked, a little afraid that maybe Severus might have changed his mind and run away. It was a completely irrational thought, but she was getting nervous.

Minerva debated whether or not to make up a lie, but as she caught Echo wringing her hands, she decided the truth was better. "It seems that Fred and George were trying a bit of Muggle magic... with your wedding ring." Echo's hand went to her mouth as she continued to listen. "Hector swallowed the ring."

Echo sputtered out a laugh. "Merciful Cybele! Are the twins still alive?"

Molly shook her head. "They're lucky Severus didn't chop them up. Arthur has severely lectured them both and threatened to change the locks on their apartment, thus forcing them home to the Burrow, if they ever pull something so idiotic again."

The women all laughed for a minute or two then Hermione asked, "Does anyone know what they'll do about the ring?"

Minerva replied, "Alastor is going to use a spell he used during his time as an Auror. It's a bit painful, so Draco went with Albus to Hogwarts to get an Anesthetic Potion from the Infirmary."

Echo took a deep breath and looked at herself in the mirror. She touched the part of her long scar across her collarbone. It was still slightly ridged, and paler than her natural olive coloured skin. Slapping her hand down upon the vanity she summoned a quill and parchment and dashed off a quick note that she handed to Minerva.

"Minerva, I think Severus might need this," smiled Echo.

"I'll take it to him right away," smirked Minerva as she left the small room.

Minutes later Minerva had delivered the note. Moody was working his spell while Harry did his best to soothe his familiar. It only took a few minutes and Moody soon held out the ring. The ex-Auror handed the ring over to Severus and then levitated the now sleeping dog, at Harry's direction, into the tent.

Severus cast a Cleaning Spell over the ring and then tucked it into the small pocket of his waistcoat. He intended to give it to Harry right before the ceremony began. Now, he opened the note that Minerva had given him.

My Dearest Severus,

Are you as nervous as I am? Excited? Mrs. Echo Yasmine Snape. Mrs. Echo Snape. Echo Snape. If I were still a school girl, I'd be scribbling that all over the margins of my Potions workbook. I have the silliest desire to write, I Love Severus, on the palm of my hand. Maybe I shall.

I am astounded you managed to arrange all of this during a 'walk'. Stealthy man!

I love you, my dearest Severus. I cannot wait to marry you!

Echo

He smiled and summoned an Always Inked Quill. Turning over the parchment, he quickly wrote a reply. He folded it and then called to Draco.

"Yes, Uncle Sev?"

Severus held out the note. "Would you see that Minerva or Hermione gets this to my lovely bride?"

Draco took the note, and smirked. "Love notes, Uncle Sev?"

"Watch your cheek, Mr. Malfoy," he warned with a teasing sneer. He then waved his hand imperiously. "Now go!"

Draco entered the tent and was greeted by Hermione standing vigil at Echo's door. He smiled appreciatively at the young lady. Hermione's bushy hair had been tamed into beautiful, dark amber waves that cascaded over slightly freckled, bare shoulders. Her dress was a simple, elegant cascade of lavender satin. The bodice was cinched by a stylish gathering of pleats that ended just above her right hip. The pleats arced across her waist like the rays of the sun. An amethyst teardrop on a silver chain (a gift from Draco) was the perfect touch.

Draco nearly forgot why he'd come into the tent, he was so dazzled and enchanted.

Hermione blushed under the young man's desirous gaze. "Was there something you wanted, Draco?"

Draco bit back his lascivious thoughts and coughed. "Oh! Yes!" He shoved the small note at Hermione. "Uncle Sev wanted to be sure that Echo got this." Hermione took the note, but made no move to desert her post. "You're gorgeous!" The blonde haired wizard finally blurted.

"You look quite handsome yourself. Wherever did you find a tuxedo?" She teased.

"Remus brought it. Never thought that werewolf would have such good taste." He moved smoothly to Hermione's side, brushed aside a lock of her silken hair, and quickly kissed her before rushing out of the tent.

Hermione ducked back into Echo's room to find her pacing. She stopped as soon as Hermione held out the note. Echo quickly unfolded it and read the Potions Master's spidery, yet elegant, script.

My Dearest Beauty,

Nervous? Most certainly. I know of no man that has found himself so completely enchanted by such a lovely witch who would not be nervous minutes before committing himself forever... but only because he feels foolishly unworthy.

I am very pleased to know that I have 'astonished' you. I must confess that it was not my idea, and fool I shall ever be for not having thought of it. You may thank OUR son for nudging me in the right direction. He is so craving a family.

I love you dearly, my Beauty,

Your Severus.

Echo tucked the little correspondence of love close to her heart. Just as she was about to resume her pacing, Minerva stuck her head in and grinned.

"It's time, child! Come along. Your suitor is waiting."

Echo felt her heart drop... or stop, she wasn't sure which, and then it soared. Ginny tucked a bouquet of flowers that she'd made from the wildflowers growing in the glade. Hermione brushed at non-existent dust and smoothed her dress. The Gryffindor then proudly took her place at Echo's side while Molly, Minerva, and Ginny fell into step behind the bride.

Severus stood, rather stiffly, beneath the arched trellis that was now covered in trailing, flowering vine. Standing to his right was Draco. Albus stood next to Arthur who stood at center beneath the arch.

The Weasley boys were all seated and were smiling or grinning (as in the case of the twins who'd recovered from their earlier scolding). Remus Lupin also sat with the Weasley boys.

Harry stood in front of Albus to his father's left. He was holding, very carefully, a small, square pillow of dark green velvet. Upon the pillow sat the wedding ring.

When Echo emerged from the tent, Severus drew in his breath... and forgot to breathe.

Molly had separated Echo's hair into two thick, loose braids that circled her head like a crown. Tendrils of curls framed her face and small white flowers dotted the braids. The two, jeweled combs supported the braids and sparkled in the sunshine.

Her gown was a pale cream confection of lace, silk, and satin. It was sleeveless with a wide neckline that dipped just nearly off her shoulders. The heavily pearl-beaded bodice was corset-style and flattered her curves, much to Severus' great appreciation. The satin skirt fell in generous gathers and was edged with elaborate lace trim and more beads.

A nudge from Draco's elbow reminded Severus to take a breath before he passed out.

"She's a real angel," whispered Harry from just behind his father.

"That she is, Harry," Severus agreed softly.

Echo walked- floated- up to join him. Severus held out his hand towards Echo. She held hers towards his, but then with a wicked gleam in her eyes, she flipped her hand palm up. He glanced down and laughed as he saw the words, 'I Love Severus' written in green ink across her palm. He then smirked and flipped over his own hand. It was Echo's turn to laugh as she saw in bright purple ink the words, 'I Love Echo', written across his palm. As he grasped her hand tightly in his, the sparkling red aura of the Old Magic flared strongly between them and then faded as they faced Albus, Harry, and Arthur.

Albus spoke, his eyes twinkling, "As you have all witnessed, this witch and this wizard have already been bound by the Old Magic. The Old Magic comes from the Elements that surround our dear Echo and Severus. It is Fire, the passion that burns beneath their love. It is Water, that flows and keeps their love constant. It is Earth, that nourishes their love, and finally it is Air, that gives their love freedom." Albus then touched his hand to their clasped hands. "My son, my daughter, and..." with his other hand, he rested it upon Harry's head, "my grandson, I can only offer you the blessings of an old man who has been thrice blessed with each of you. Severus, may you always love Echo as you do now. Listen to her, comfort her, and support her."

"I so promise, Albus," Severus replied, and squeezed Echo's hand.

The Headmaster continued, "Echo, may you always trust Severus as you do now. Love him when it is easy to do so, love him more when it is not."

"I promise to do so, Albus," she smiled brightly up into Severus' dark gaze and felt momentarily dizzy with the love and devotion she saw reflected there. In that brief exchange, the spectre of Oland Childermass finally died, never to haunt Echo again.

Albus then looked down at his grandson. "Harry, may you always cherish the gift of your mother and father, and the family you now have. Be obedient, and kind of heart."

Harry smiled and then looked up at his father, and then at his mother. "I know my Mum and James are really happy now," he said softly. "They know I'm safe, and that I'm happy, and that I'm loved by the best Dad and the prettiest Mum in the world. I promise to be the best son ever."

Molly let out a happy sob and hugged Ginny and Ron to her bosom until they each had to squirm away in order to breathe.

Echo and Severus were bound by the Laws of Magic, and blessed by the eldest wizard of their family, Albus. Now all that was left was for the Ministry to legally acknowledge their union. Hence the reason for Arthur Weasley to be standing where he was.

The Marriage Ceremony as described by the Ministry is a very dry one that's generally forgettable. Arthur didn't wish to end such a lovely ceremony with boring legalese, and so he had spent most of the night rewriting the required phrases into something more personal. After all, he had fought many battles beside Severus Snape and had always admired the young wizard. Severus had often been cold and aloof, as necessitated his life as a spy and a Death Eater, but he, too, held a certain respect for the affable Arthur who was only a few years older than himself.

The Ministry of Magic cleared his throat, clasped his hands in front of himself and began to speak, "The Binding of a witch and a wizard is a sacred thing to be cherished not only by the couple, but by their witnesses who stand beside them, and by their friends who have come to share in their joy. I ask you now, to pledge your troth to each other before your witnesses and your friends."

Arthur turned to address the Potions Master, "Severus Tobias Snape, do you vow to love the heart and soul of she who wishes to be your wife in sickness, in health, in times of cheer and of strife, to honor her Self as you would your own?

"This I do vow, forever and a day," replied Severus.

He then turned to the lovely bride, "Echo Yasmine Prosper, do you vow to love the heart and soul of he who wishes to be your husband in sickness, in health, in times of cheer and of strife, to honor his Self as you would your own?

"This I do vow, forever and a day," she whispered, stretching up her hand to caress his cheek.

"Give your father the ring, Harry," instructed Arthur with a slight nudge.

Harry smiled and handed the wedding ring to his father. "Thank you, Harry." Severus leaned down and kissed his son's forehead. Harry blushed.

Severus then lifted Echo's hand and held up the ring. It was a silver setting that held Echo's favorite stone, a diamond cut fire opal enhanced by diamond accents.

"With this ring I bind myself to thee, with all my love." He slipped the ring onto Echo's finger, causing the Old Magic to spark at the touch of their skin. Severus then stepped closer, and drew his son to his side. "With this ring, Harry and I also enjoin thee to our family. Wife and mother, our love is forever yours."

Severus leaned forward to kiss his wife, a bit chastely, perhaps, but Harry also wanted to give his new mother his benediction. Echo picked the child up and Harry gave her a strong hug and a kiss to her cheek.

"Are we married now?" Harry asked as he turned slightly in Echo's arms and stretched out an arm towards his father.

Severus chuckled and Echo laughed. "Yes, you ridiculous child. We are married now."


Molly had prepared an absolutely decadent and very welcome breakfast after the ceremony of crepes, blueberries, sausage, bacon, fluffy scrambled eggs, and warm, many layered, buttery biscuits. There was pumpkin juice for the children, orange juice and tea for everyone else, and coffee for Severus.

"Uncle Severus," began Draco just as he took his last bite of breakfast. "We have enough people here for a game of Quidditch. Could we?"

"I think..." he began contemplatively.

Fred interrupted, "Yes! Professor Snape and Mrs. Snape could be the captains!"

Echo's eyes glittered. "I think it would be fun!"

Severus' eyebrow rose fractionally. "You haven't a chance, wife."

"Oh don't I?" she challenged. "Care to make a wager, husband?"

He lifted a finger, paused, and then tapped his upper lip. "Teams, first. Then the teams decide on the wager."

The remains of breakfast were quickly dealt with and then everyone either changed or Transfigured their wedding clothing into something more suitable for a Quidditch match. Teams were then chosen.

Severus chose four Weasleys: the twins and Charlie, and Ginny, then Remus for his team. Echo chose Harry and Draco, then Arthur, Ron and Bill for her team. Echo's team, dubbed the Mudhens, were playing for lunch at a cafe in Diagon Alley. Severus' team, dubbed the Snakeskins. were playing for dinner at a restaurant in Hogsmeade.

With Moody as referee and scorekeeper, Hermione, Molly, Albus, and Minerva cheered both teams on.

Echo wasn't entirely graceful on a broom, but she had enthusiasm, and her secret weapon was her new son, Harry, who wanted to be Seeker. Echo and Draco were the first to score while Harry flittered about, sometimes getting distracted by both teams and forgetting what he was supposed to do.

Severus had grace and speed on his side and although he would have loved being the Seeker, he had given the youngest Weasley, Ginny, the job. The twins were ruthless and made it possible for Ron to give their team their first score. Severus would have scored, but he began racing after George when he tossed a Bludger a little too closely at Harry. George tried to race away from his team captain, but Severus had some tricky moves on a broom no Gryffindor even knew about their professor. Severus caught George, smacking the boy with an elegant twist where his broom bristles caught the errant twin in the back.

Bill only seeing Severus go after George, sent a Bludger towards the Potions professor a bit too roughly causing Echo to come after him. For a moment the game became a race until Moody intervened and set the game back on track.

Ron scored, again, and his entire team applauded his flying skills. "Good show, Mr. Weasley!" complimented his teacher and his cheeks, already flushed with the excitement of the game, became darker. Fred scored next, but was trounced severely as Bill, then Remus, and then his own father scored for the Mudhens.

Harry, distracted by the excitement, collided with his father, who caught the little boy before he took a dangerous tumble. Moody paused the game while Severus made sure Harry was fine. Harry was eager to get back into play, so Severus summoned his son's fallen broom and Harry was quickly darting after the Golden Snitch.

It was Severus' turn to score next but Echo scored twice right after that. She flew towards him and stuck her tongue out at her husband. Moody penalised her for unladylike behavior: half a point. Molly hexed the referee with a Bat Bogey Hex. He quickly countered with a Tarantella Hex. Arthur, who was about to score, threw the Quaffle at Moody. Hermione blasted the Bludger into powder before it could hit the old warrior. Arthur was penalised two points for unsportsmanlike Minister of Magic behavior. Arthur insisted that Moody also lose two points, even though he wasn't on a team. Moody then argued that if he were to lose points, so should Molly. Charlie declared that Hermione ought to lose points for blasting the Quaffle since they had to transfigure a new one. Draco, not liking that his girlfriend was being threatened with a point loss, almost got into Charlie's face but he was yanked off his broom by Severus, who didn't want hexes to start flying.

The game was paused as everyone put in their two cents worth. It was finally decided that whatever team won, would take on the point loss that Molly and Moody incurred. Hermione was then given two points for having blasted the Quaffle. Her points would go to the loser.

The Quidditch game resumed with points scored quickly by both teams.

An hour went by without too many interruptions, except when Severus and Echo deemed it necessary to kiss each other while hovering a few feet above the ground. Moody penalised the newly married couple five points each for 'Disgusting Mushy Behavior'. Minerva countered the penalty by awarding Severus and Echo ten points each for 'The Loveliest Game Pause in the History of Quidditch'. Moody penalised Minerva three points for 'Blatant Sentimentality'. Moody then penalised Albus three points as well for 'Annoying Twinkling'.

A final pause in the game came when Harry pleaded a need for the loo. He ran off the makeshift field, took care of his needs, and just as he emerged from the tent, he ran right into the hovering Snitch. The little boy snatched it and began jumping up and down, declaring his Mum's team, the Mudhens, as winners.

Moody wanted to suddenly become a stickler for the rules, but a dozen glares made the ex-Auror keep his objections to himself. Grudgingly he declared Echo's team the winners and the game was officially ended.

The kids, along with Charlie to supervise, all went swimming to cool off while the adults indulged in lemonade and conversation.

Dinner was served outside just before dusk. Echo had cooked a roast that had kept, like the turkey, under a Preservation Spell. Molly had brought another dessert, a pecan pie and ice cream. Everyone stuffed themselves and then the newlyweds excused themselves. Harry wanted to follow, but he was yanked back by a smirking Draco.

"Your Mum and Dad need some alone time, Snapelet," chuckled Draco.

"Why?" asked Harry as he picked a sticky pecan from the empty pie pan.

"Uh... erm... well, it's what uh..." Draco glanced over at Hermione who was sniggering behind her hand. He glared at her.

Molly came to his rescue and put an arm around Harry. "Now that your Mum and Dad are married, dear, they're going to want alone time now and again. It just what Mums and Dads do." She tapped a finger to his nose. "And it's private, so don't you go getting all nosey, Mister."

"No ma'am, I won't," Harry agreed solemnly. "Can I have another piece of pie?" He looked forlornly at the empty pie pan and clapped his hands when another pie appeared.


As happy as the day was, memories, long deeply buried of Lily Evans Potter, and James Potter, his step-father, rose to the forefront of his dreams. They were pleasant little glimpses, but only that much since he had been to young to remember much of his first fifteen months of life. It was enough to make him smile that he could remember warmth, love, and laughter.

The nightmare shattered the pleasant dreams as the Snake Man with the red eyes rose up, chasing the warmth away with sharp, painful ice. A sickly green light burst across his eyesight, and he heard a scream that was joined by his own frightened cries.

"Harry! Harry! Wake up, Snapelet! It's only a dream."

Harry's eyes shot open and his slung his arms tightly around his big brother's neck, almost choking Draco. "I want Daddy! Please!"

Draco could hear his godfather stumbling into the nest of pillows in the main area of the tent and cursing. Any other time it might give him a reason to laugh, but with his little brother trembling in his arms, Draco only patted the distressed child's back and assured him that Severus was coming.

"Harry?" Severus pushed aside the drape that separated Harry and Draco's room from the main tent.

"Daddy! The Snake-Man came back!" Harry held out his arms to his father and Severus scooped him up. The little boy held tightly to his father as he sniffled, "I tried again to hit him, but I was too small!"

Echo walked into the small room carrying several sheets of parchment. Severus smiled gratefully as she handed him the story he had written two nights before. "Let's all go to the main area and I'll fix us some hot chocolate."

Draco stood up, grabbed his dressing gown and followed Echo. Severus waited a short moment and conjured a handkerchief to wipe away his son's tears.

"Are you ready for some hot chocolate?" Severus asked.

Harry nodded and wrapped his arms around his father's neck. As Severus stood he pulled his son closer. He truly hoped his little boy would have a growth spurt in a few years. He was still so small, though at least now he was healthy. Severus did recall that he himself had been a small child, and teased quite often for it. It had bothered him to look up to kids that were either his age, or slightly younger. He did not have a growth spurt until he was almost twelve and then he gained almost two feet. It gave him an advantage, albeit a slight one, over the Marauders, all of whom were, by then, just an inch or two shorter than him.

With a sigh, he hefted Harry a little more securely in his arms, and then carried him out into the main room of the tent. He then put his son down, settled himself in the cushions and Harry curled up beside him.

Draco brought Harry a small cup of hot chocolate and sat down on Harry's other side. Echo brought a single cup to share with her husband. He took a sip and then unfolded the pieces of parchment.

"What's that?" asked Harry as he looked down at the pages with his father's distinctive script.

"This is a story that I wrote for you, Harry. It is a magical story that will give you the power to conquer your nightmares."

Harry perked up and smiled widely. His father had written a magical story just for him? "Read it, read it!" he urged quietly, snuggling closer to Severus.

After he had another sip of hot chocolate, Severus began to read...