Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 44

Monday Morning, Sept. 1, 1997 - sixth year for Draco, Ron, & Hermione

Harry was fussing and Severus was close to losing his temper with his son. He was desperately trying to get the child ready for his first day of Primary School with Molly Weasley, but Harry was being an absolute rotter.

At first Severus thought it might be a good thing to have Harry choose his outfit for school. A short-sleeved shirt, a jumper in case the weather became cool, a pair of shorts, socks, and trainers. Severus soon came to the conclusion that Harry now owned too many clothes and in lieu of tearing out his hair, he was ready to Evanesco his son's entire wardrobe which currently decorated both bed and floor.

Having enough of Harry's contrariness, he snatched up a blue shirt, a pair of cream shorts, a blue jumper, socks and trainers.

"Get dressed," Severus ordered sternly as he shoved the clothing at the boy. He started to pick up and fold the other shorts in order to put them away in the dresser drawer.

"I hate blue!" Harry dropped the clothes onto the floor and stood with his fists on his underwear clad hips.

"If you hated blue, why did you pick them out when your mother took you shopping?" demanded Severus coolly. He was silently counting to ten a few times in his head. It is not permissible to pickle my own son.

"It was okay then, but it's not now!" He stomped his foot for emphasis.

The foot stomping was the wrong thing for Harry to do and the second his father glared at him as he turned away from the dresser, Harry knew he was in trouble. He did the only thing he could think of: he ran.

"Dammit!" Severus dropped the pair of shorts he'd just picked up and sprinted after his son.

"MUM! Lemme go! S'not fair!" Harry was flailing in Echo's arms. She'd caught him just as he'd run from his room.

"Did you lose something, Severus?" smirked Echo as her son flailed upside down in her grip.

"It seems we're having a fashion meltdown," he grimaced. He took Harry from his wife and plunked the boy's feet firmly on the floor. He then crouched down to eye level. "You, my boy, are this close..." he pinched his thumb and index finger closely together. "...to getting your rear warmed. Now, you get into your room, and dressed, or I promise you that your first day at school you'll be standing the entire time. Am I understood?"

Harry's breath hitched slightly and his lower lip trembled. "I don't wanna go, Daddy," he whispered.

"Silly child," sighed Severus. "I thought you liked Molly. You loved going to the Burrow last term. Why is this different?"

Harry shrugged. He then put his hands on his father's shoulders and leaned a little closer. "What if the other kids tease me?"

Severus blinked and almost let his jaw drop open. Where in the world had his son come up with this fear? He scooped Harry up into his arms and sat down on the couch. He wrapped his teaching robes around his son since he was still only in his underwear and shivering.

"Why do you think they'll tease you, Harry?"

Harry began tugging at the buttons on his father's frock coat. "I hadda go to pre-school when I was two and all the kids called me a baby because I was small. I got beat up a lot and no one would be my friend cause Dudley told 'em I was a bad boy."

Severus grit his teeth and the vein in the side of his neck pulsed warningly. He knew his son's cousin was not to blame for the sins of the parents, but it was still hard for him to hear about the abuses Harry had endured. Especially at so young an age.

Severus was quiet for another minute as he carded his fingers through his son's hair. He might kick himself later for the solution he was about to propose, but he had promised himself that Harry was going to have a happy childhood and if he had to be an overprotective parent in order to make that happen, then so be it.

"I have a proposal for you, Harry," began Severus. Harry looked up expectantly at his father. "Go to school today and for the whole week, without argument. If you get teased and hate it and also make no friends, then I won't make you go again. I'll find a private tutor for you until we can try another school."

"Okay, Daddy. I can do that."

"Good. Now, will you go and get dressed, please?"

Harry slipped away from his father and ran into his bedroom. Severus looked towards his disappeared son for a few minutes and then fell back against the worn out couch.

"I suppose you think that was an unwise proposition?" he asked Echo warily.

"Our child, Severus, must feel comfortable at the school he goes to. No matter what. However, I rather like to think that Harry will surprise himself." Echo leaned over and kissed her husband's forehead.

He felt Echo's hands upon his shoulders, kneading the tenseness away. He sighed and closed his eyes.


About twenty minutes later Harry and Severus Floo'd through to the Burrow. Harry had kept his eyes tightly closed and had held onto his father. It didn't completely eliminate the dizziness, but at least he wasn't nauseous this time.

"Welcome Harry! Severus!" greeted Molly. "You're the first to arrive, dear. Are you nervous?" Molly automatically handed Harry a handful of soda crackers.

Munching on the crackers, Harry shook his head sharply, and then, a few seconds later he nodded. Molly smiled brightly. "You'll be fine. I'm sure you'll get along well with the other children."

"Who else will be attending, Molly?" asked Severus.

"Andrew Bulstrode, Emily Soong, Hieronymus Tonks..."

Severus interrupted her. "Tonks? Don't tell me Nymphadora had a sibling?"

"Cousin. Her father, Theodore Tonks, had more of a magical ancestry than they thought. Hieronymus is the son of Theodore's brother Alfred and Muggle wife, Elise. The child was orphaned after a Death... a DE raid took his father," she explained diplomatically. "His mother died giving birth to him. Andromeda and Theodore adopted Hieronimous last year. He's been a blessing to them."

"Hieronymus, though?" Severus scoffed at the impossible name.

Molly chuckled. "Andromeda says he prefers the nickname 'Mouse'. I think Harry will quite like him. The other two students I have are Daniella Spinnet and Hamish Madley."


It took about an hour for Molly's other five students to arrive. Harry waited patiently in the kitchen as he ate a light breakfast.

Hamish Madley was a sandy blonde haired boy that was the tallest of all the children. He was very good looking, and appeared to know it. His polite manners seemed rather fake to Harry. Harry decided he didn't like the boy immediately.

Daniella Spinnet was a pretty little strawberry blonde with a freckled face, glasses, pale, sea green eyes, and two missing front teeth. She arrived clutching tightly to a large book. Harry was to learn that she loved books as much as he did, so he liked her at once.

Emily Soong took an instant dislike to Harry and wouldn't even speak to him. Her eyes only seemed to be for Hamish so Harry figured he wasn't going to like her, either.

Andrew Bulstrode was a bulky, yet charming, affable boy with brown hair and brown eyes. He had a Quidditch book with him. Andrew liked everyone, even snooty Emily and pushy Hamish. Harry definitely liked him.

Hieronymus Tonks was the last to arrive. He was slim, and small. Almost the same height as Harry. He had light brown hair that seemed to have its own mind and bright, pale amber eyes. He was shy, though, and couldn't help but get teary-eyed when his Aunt Andromeda left him behind. Harry had gone to the little boy's side, patted his back, and softly whispered to him.

"I'm scared, too. Maybe if we're friends it won't be so scary?"

The Tonks boy sniffled and smiled softly at Harry. "I'd like to have a friend. I'm Mouse. It's really Hieronymus, but that's too hard to spell and to say, so call me Mouse."

"I'm Harry." Harry bowed, as he'd been taught by his father and Draco, and Mouse giggled, awkwardly returning the bow.

And so began the friendship of Mouse and Harry. Later, much to his father's relief, Severus was pleased that he wouldn't have to find another Primary School for his son.


Severus' first Potions class of the day wouldn't begin until 10 o'clock so he was a little surprised to see Albus' head emerge through the Floo when he'd been hoping for a bit of quiet time.

"Is something the matter, Albus?" Severus asked.

"May I come through?"

Severus ushered the Headmaster through and winced at the bright orange robes the older wizard wore.

"Merlin, Albus!" declared Severus. "Those robes will cause seizures in some of our students."

"Nonsense, my boy!" He smiled and seated himself in a comfortable chair.

Echo came out from the bedroom. "I thought I heard your voice, Albus." She smiled and lightly kissed his cheek.

"My dear Echo. Married life appears to suit you," complimented the Headmaster.

"I think so," she sat down beside her husband on the couch and laced her fingers through his. "When do you and Minerva think you'll leap the broom?"

The older wizard chuckled, "I rather think Minerva and I are enjoying... what do the Muggles call it? Oh yes, 'living in sin'." Severus frowned in disapproval, only causing the Headmaster to laugh delightedly. "To be truthful, we've both been so busy that we have yet to be able to settle on a date."

"The Christmas holidays would be the perfect time," declared Echo. "I'll talk to Minerva and see what she says."

Severus enjoyed, just for a brief few seconds, a thoroughly silenced, and quite possibly, gobsmacked Headmaster. He smirked and squeezed his wife's thigh. What a Slytherin she was!

Albus coughed, he wiped his forehead with his handkerchief to give himself a moment to recover, and then he smiled. Severus lost his little smug smirk and narrowed his gaze warily. That smile of the Headmaster's was one that usually presaged information he wasn't generally pleased with. The Headmaster chuckled at the younger wizard's expression.

"Albus, I promise you, I'll hex you if you don't tell me what you're up to," warned Severus.

"You recall Fairwinds Manor, my boy?"

"One of the Order safe houses. You hid me there when I..." Severus glanced over to Echo. She gripped his hand reassuringly. "There were times when I'd return from Death Eater meetings... rather worse for wear and it wasn't always convenient to stay in the Infirmary."

Echo was blunt, "He tortured you."

Severus nodded. "I no longer had my house at Spinner's End and there were times I required a safe place to recover. Fairwinds was... a pleasant place."

"And it is languishing," concluded Albus drawing them back to the present. "Although these guest quarters are comfortable for a short time, I think they're just not suitable. That, and I do think that as much as Harry enjoys the portraits and the ghosts, it just isn't a suitable place for a curious child."

Echo smiled and Severus nodded. "That is precisely what I was telling Echo last night."

"I plan to see a realtor on Monday, Albus," added Echo.

"Well, then," twinkled Albus. "I've sent a contingent of house elfs to prepare Fairwinds. Get the place spotless and the kitchen stocked. They'll also move your things over while you're in class today. I believe if you're living outside of the confines of Hogwarts you'll be better able to decide where you wish to ultimately settle."

Severus nodded. It really wasn't a bad idea at all. He needed to effect his break from his students, as he'd done last night with Slytherin House, but he needed to extend that to other lifelong habits. His nightly patrols, his tutoring sessions, detentions, and grading of work. All of that would be Professor Weasley's responsibility now. And, he added silently, I would have gone mad before Christmas with nothing more to do than stare at these four walls.

"That sounds acceptable, Albus," Severus agreed.

Albus smiled happily. "Now, for you, Echo. I realised last night that until you can re-open your bookshop, you're going to have very little to do. Our librarian, Madame Pince, could do with an assistant. Over the summer, Hogwarts received a great many books from many of the Death Eaters estates when their properties were seized by the Ministry. The Ministry only looked them over enough to make certain they weren't protected by or infused with Dark Magic. Even so it's very likely that many of the books are ones that no child ought to have access to. Would you care to help?"

Echo's deep blue eyes brightened. She had worried, too, about wandering around the small, Hogwarts guest quarters with nothing to do until a home could be secured. "Of course I'll help out, Albus! That would be perfect!"

"Very good, then," said Albus rising to his feet. "I'll let Madame Pince know to expect you as soon as Severus goes off to his classes. Dobby will be able to escort everyone to the house after dinner this evening."


After his last class, Severus went to pick up his son from the Burrow. Once at the Weasley domicile, Arthur escorted the Potions Master outside and to the little red schoolhouse he'd had built for Molly's Primary school.

Harry was scrubbing the chalkboard clean while Molly returned books to their shelves.

"I like Mouse the best. He's just really shy, though. Hamish wasn't really nice to him, but me and Andy, and Dani are gonna be best friends and then he'll be all right."

"I think that's lovely, Harry. However, I do want you to give Hamish and Emily a chance. I know they can be a bit insufferable, but they do have good hearts."

"I s'pose," he sighed. "Hamish, maybe, but Emily won't even look at me. I tried to ask her why, and she hit me." He pouted, confusion at the little girl's behavior clear on his face.

Severus was not happy to hear that his son had been hit, but he remained quiet so he could listen to Molly's reply.

"That was entirely wrong of the girl, Harry. If she were my child, she would have been right over my knee." Harry sniggered. Molly smiled. "Well, I hope some time in the corner helped. If not, I'll have her doing some weeding or de-gnoming tomorrow. Hard work always seems to round the edges of a child's temper."

"Miss Molly?" asked Harry, as he tugged on the hem of his untucked shirt.

"Yes, dear?"

"If Emily stays mean, would I have to leave school?"

"Certainly not, Harry!" Molly had whirled away from her desk and she sat down beside Harry who was standing next to his desk. "I expect all of my students to behave, to show respect towards each other, and me. If Emily cannot abide by these rules, she'll be the one to leave, not you." The red-haired witch then rose to her feet and patted Harry's shoulder. "I think we should just give Emily a little bit of time and she'll come round."

"I hope so," he sighed, worried about the little girl's attitude towards him. "I just wish I knew why she doesn't like me. I didn't do nuthin' to her!"

Severus decided it was time to announce his presence. "Are you ready to go home, Mr. Snape?"

Harry spun towards his father's voice and flashed him a huge grin. He ran to his father and launched himself. Severus caught him and hoisted the child up.

"Daddy! It was great! I made some friends, but my best friend is Mouse. I also did maths, and reading and I got second place in our spelling bee. And I got stars, too!" All of this filtered rapidly from Harry's mouth.

"Stars?" Severus asked in puzzlement.

Harry squirmed in Severus' arms and his father let him down. "Come see my star chart." Grabbing his father's hand, he pulled him over to a wall where several charts were hung that had each child's name above the days of the month. Little squares that each had a number of the day in it were empty except for today's date of September 1. Harry had four, sparkling stars.

Harry pointed to each star. "That's for maths. I got every single one right. That's for making friends with Mouse. That's for the spelling bee. And that one's for reading aloud. If I get a star for every day of school, at the end of the month, I get an ice cream from Fortescue's!"

Severus crossed his arms and looked down his long nose at his son. "So, do I take it to mean that you'd like to keep coming back to school?"

Harry nodded. "Yeah! It's brilliant!"

"That's good to hear. Go find your bookbag. Your mother's keeping dinner warm for us." Harry disappeared behind a room divider. Severus guessed there was a cloak room on the other side of the divider. "I take it Harry behaved himself, Molly?"

"He did very well, Severus, although there was a bit of a scuffle between Harry and Hamish at lunch." The dark-haired man's countenance darkened quickly. Two fights? "I can assure you, it wasn't Harry's fault. He was only defending himself."

"Harry wasn't hurt, was he?" the dark look was gone, but was now replaced with parental concern.

Molly simply smiled. "Just a little shoving, some boasting. It's what boys do, Severus. Hamish and Harry are establishing the pecking order."

Severus scowled slightly. "Ah. And where is my son in this 'pecking order', Molly?"

"Harry is a Protector. Hamish, unfortunately, has all the earmarkings of a bully. That is something I will keep a close eye on. Hopefully I can keep Hamish from carrying that on into Hogwarts."

"What of this girl that hit Harry?" he asked, letting her know he'd overheard the conversation. He didn't hit her back, did he?"

Molly shook her head. "He was a bit upset, but he didn't retaliate." Molly lowered her voice, "Emily's parents are Leanne and Tak Soong. Arthur tells me they were peripherally supporters of You-Know-Who's ideals concerning Muggle-borns and Half-bloods, and financially, as well. Under the old Pureblood ways, she was promised at birth to Hamish."

"I'm familiar with the Madleys. They're aristocrats more than Pureblood Elitists."

"Quite so," agreed Molly. "Unfortunately it seems that Hamish and Emily are a package deal." She patted Severus' arm. "Trust me, Severus, I will dismiss both of them if they continue to be trouble. I do have hope, though." She smiled brightly, and he nodded curtly in acknowledgment.

Harry stepped out of the cloakroom trying to slip his bookbag onto his shoulders. He didn't realise one strap was twisted, and so he kept missing it. Severus smoothly untwisted the strap and held it out so Harry could slip his arm through.

"Thanks, Dad," Harry said politely. "Thanks, Miss Molly. I had a real good day."

"I'm so glad, dear. Thank you for helping me with the clean up."

Molly watched, with an amused smile upon her face, as little Harry grabbed his father's hand and they walked out together. The tall, once dour Potions Master (who still preferred black, mind you) leaned slightly towards his son, listening as Harry chattered on happily about EVERYthing that happened at school.


Right after dinner, Dobby popped in to escort the Snapes to Fairwinds Manor. While Severus Side-Along Apparated himself, Echo, and his son, Dobby brought along Hector. They arrived at an Apparation point at the end of a cobbled drive. Dobby showed Severus how to key the gate and the wards to himself, and once the wards were passed over into his control, the large, wrought iron gate swung open.

They then followed the bobbing house elf up the cobbled driveway and over a slight rise until they could see the house, which was nestled in a slight, pretty valley.

Fairwinds was a two and a half story, Elizabethan Half-timber home, originally built in the early 18th century. It had a large front and backyard, a stepped garden in front that led up to a wide, sprawling, courtyard like patio of patterned stone edged by a two foot tall, wrought iron fence. Although the gardens were a little on the wild side, there was flowering ivy clinging to the walls in various places, or sprawling, along with heavy, purple wisteria over trellises. More flowers were everywhere, along with trees for Harry to sit under, or climb, or steal fruit from.

The house itself had large, bay windows on the first floor, and on the second floor was a balcony that lined the second floor.

Echo's jaw dropped when she beheld it. She caught her husband's hand and squeezed tightly. "This is just beautiful, Severus!"

The house was in the middle of a secluded piece of land that was surrounded by a tall fence of river stone and iron. The land itself rolled mildly, and pleasingly, from hill to valley.

"There's a more ornate garden in the back. It had a miniature hedge maze. There are also marble benches and some statuary that I'm sure Harry will love," said Severus, his arm slipping around Echo's back. "On the north side, towards the back is a small guest cottage that is a miniature of the main house."

Albus had shown Severus what he hadn't known which was that the property was situated in the country several miles from Hogsmeade. Down the narrow road was also a very large park where Harry could play with other children.

Hector had bounded away from the house elf and was happily and dutifully inspecting the property. Harry, caught by the light of fireflies had pulled away from his parents to chase the sparkly lights.

"Severus, could we ever find anything as lovely as this?" asked Echo as they ascended the steps onto the patio.

"Is this something you'd like?" asked Severus.

"It's like a fairytale. Yes, I would love a house like this, someday, but I suppose it's far more than we could afford right now." She sighed wistfully.

"As Albus explained earlier, Fairwinds used to be one of the safe houses Albus acquired for the use of the members of the Order of the Phoenix. He has an abundance of properties, and he convinced me to... to accept this house as a wedding gift." Echo could only stare at her husband. With a flourish, the deed appeared in his hand and unrolled. When her jaw dropped open, he tapped her chin lightly with his finger. "It is a fine area to raise a family. Hogsmeade is near, there is a park for Harry to play at, and Albus says there's an excellent basement in which to set up my lab. There are six bedrooms..."

"It's ours?" Echo asked, still slightly in shock. "It belongs to us?"

Severus smiled and kissed his wife. "If you wish it, the house is ours." Severus was knocked onto his backside onto a cushiony plot of flowers as Echo threw her arms around him and began raining kisses all over his face. Echo let out a squeal, jumped up, helped Severus up, and then assaulted him once again with more more kisses.

Harry heard the noise and ran up to the patio to see if everything was all right.

"What's going... awk!" Harry found himself quickly hugged and kissed by his mother.

"Harry! Your grandfather gave us this house," Echo declared. Harry didn't quite understand and blinked owlishly. "It's ours! Why don't you go inside and find your bedroom?"

"Okay!" Harry ran towards the door and Severus quickly waved his wand to unlock the door. It swung open and Harry ran through it and inside.

"It's a pity you're so unhappy with this wedding gift, my dear," drawled Severus teasingly.

"Hush!" she exclaimed, snatching the deed from Severus' hands. "I will have to bake that man the best Lemon Love Notes in the world for the rest of his life!"

"Shall we have a more leisurely look, my dear?" asked Severus offering Echo his arm.

"Let's!" Echo took his arm and they walked into the house.


Everything that had been in Severus' quarters at Hogwarts and in Echo's hidden room had been placed in appropriate rooms in the house. The rest of the rooms had already been furnished, tastefully. Obviously Albus hadn't had a hand in the decor.

The first floor had a large kitchen, a dining room which had one of the beautiful bay windows that looked out onto the side yard. The main area was a large living room with a fireplace and two bay windows overlooking the front yard. An easel and a desk for drawing was near one of the bay windows for Harry's use as an art center. The rear of the first floor had a small, wood-paneled study attached to a large library. Severus books and Echo's books had been carefully placed and arranged in the library.

Also on the first floor was a smaller sitting room, a large bathroom, and a sewing room.

The second floor had a playroom and six bedrooms. The half floor had once been an attic, but it had been converted into a solarium that was home to ferns, an herb garden, and plush chairs to relax in.

The solarium had been the favourite room for Severus to recuperate in. No matter the season, sunlight filtered in through the skylight and the windows embedded in the slanted ceiling. Severus had always suspected that the solarium might have had a Well-Being Charm placed on it.

The master bedroom was just off the main stairs. It was, of course, the largest of the six bedrooms. Beauftiful stain glass, French doors provided access to the long, narrow balcony on the outside of the house. It had a sitting area in front of the tall fireplace, and narrow windows.

Their bed was against the wall opposite the fireplace and furniture from Echo's hidden room provided a wardrobe, chairs, and a loveseat. Severus' wardrobe and dresser were also in the room.

Echo and Severus found Harry in the bedroom across from the master bedroom. It had a large window with a window seat that looked out over the backyard. Harry was jumping up and down enthusiastically on the large, sleigh style, bed.

"Harry!"

At the sound of his father's sharp admonition, Harry plunked down heavily onto his backside on his bed. He smiled weakly and waved.

"What have I told you about jumping on your bed?" Severus demanded.

"Not to." He picked at the yellow quilt.

"And why is that?"

Harry pouted, "Cuz it's dangerous and I could fall and crack my skull open." He then grinned. "But it's so bouncy!"

"I. Don't. Care." Severus glared at his son as he leaned over him. "Go wash up. We'll celebrate with pudding in a bit."

Harry pushed himself up, kissed his father's nose, and with a giggle rolled away from Severus and off his bed. He ran out of the bedroom and was almost to the bathroom he'd found earlier when he skidded to a halt.

"Dad?"

"Yes, Harry?"

"I like that room, but can I change it? Yellow is too girly. I want purple!"

"Not tonight, but we'll work on that." He waved his hands, encouraging Harry to continue to the bathroom. "Go!"

"Purple! Purple! Purple!" Sing-songed Harry as he disappeared into the bathroom.


During their pudding, a late owl arrived from Madame Pomfrey. Poppy had found a Healer whose specialty was Infertility. Healer Lauren Bell agreed to see Severus and Echo next Friday afternoon.