Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 45

Severus first class of interest to him was on Tuesday, the sixth year combined Gryffindor and Slytherin class. Ronald Weasley had not managed the required 'O' in Potions, and was noticeably absent. Hermione was in Potions, as was Draco, and four other Slytherins, and four Gryffindors. Severus looked from his desk towards Neville Longbottom, wondering how in the world the nervous boy had managed an 'O' in Potions.

Bill was speaking to his small, advanced class, pacing up and down between the rows of desks.

"As you know, this is an advanced class. I will not tolerate any disrespect towards any of your classmates, or their potions, or their ingredients. If I catch you doing anything deliberately stupid, you'll be dismissed, without warning. You're here, because you wish to learn. If you're not here to learn, there's the door." He pointed at the open dungeon door. He waited a full minute, watching the students fidget nervously. He then smiled, his gold earring, which now also had a small, emerald, glinted in the torchlight. With a flick of his hand, a bound outline appeared on each desk.

Bill waited a moment, giving the students a few minutes of curiosity to flip through the outline. He then continued, "These are the potions we'll be covering until Christmas Hols. I expect all of you to be suitably prepared on each day of practicals for the potion assigned. As you can see, only the potion is named. You are to use this outline as your Potions Journal. You will need to research each potion and to discover the necessary ingredients and steps required to brew it."

There was a combined muttering amongst each of the students.

Bill stopped, hands on hips, his feet slightly apart, and he glared. It was a hard, and unforgiving glare, and Severus smirked appreciatively.

"Am I to take it that none of you wish to be here?" A wave of his wand, and the dungeon door that was closed, slammed open. "I'd love to have two free hours on Tuesday."

There were a few shaking heads. Hermione spoke up, "Sorry, Professor. We do wish to stay."

"Excellent!" the dungeon door closed quietly and Bill continued to outline his expectations for his students, including a Potions Project due at the end of their sixth year.

"That project will be worth a third of your eventual NEWTs score. I cannot emphasize this enough. One-third. It's in your best interest to select a potion worth all the work you put into it. This means nothing simple like Pepper-Up Potion. With instruction at the feet of your esteemed Professor Snape I expect each of you can brew Pepper-Up blindfolded."

Professor Weasley went on to explain that they could either do the project alone, or pair up with another student. Both Draco and Hermione glanced at each other, unnoticed by their Potions professor. They were noticed by Severus, and he made a mental note to speak to them at the end of class.

The Double Potions class ended after a lecture, and almost with relief, the students practically ran out of the classroom. "Miss Granger, Mr. Malfoy, a moment," came the calm, silky voice of Severus. Fortunately, the two students weren't in the same hurry as the other students and heard their old professor speaking.

Draco and Hermione went up to the desk where Severus sat, tapping his quill studiously upon the surface.

"Sir?" asked Draco.

Bill leaned against the doorframe, his arms crossed over his chest as he watched the exchange.

"I take it that you two are considering working on your Potions Project together?" asked Severus.

Hermione nodded and Draco replied. "Well, Professor Weasley did say that we could take a partner, sir."

"You are two of the top students, not just in sixth year, but in comparison to all the levels. I am certain you both would work well together, but consider that in doing so, the skill and intelligence you both have, would not be completely served if you worked together."

Hermione and Draco glanced at each other, their hearts sinking as they realised the truth of what Severus was saying. "Sir," began Hermione. "Would it be possible for Draco and I to consult with each other on our individual projects?"

Severus almost nodded, but he deferred to Bill. The younger wizard, without unfolding himself from his relaxed position, spoke clearly, "I see no reason you cannot consult each other and bounce ideas off one another." He then straightened to his full height. "However, as in real life, you must give credit where it is due."

Draco nodded. "Not a problem, sir."

Bill grinned. "Then I will expect your proposals in three weeks."

Hermione grinned thankfully at their professors, and then, with a tug on Draco's robe sleeve, the two sixth years ran out of the Potions classroom.


Severus enjoyed Apparating home. He wasn't obligated to attend staff meals, or meetings, and once the last class was finished, he had no essays to grade, detentions to oversee, or arguments to referee in the Slytherin Common Room. Severus could now go home to his house, relax a few minutes, and then go and pick up his son at school. He also loved taking Harry to the park where the little boy would run, shout, and play himself to exhaustion.

Once he and Harry were back home, if Echo was still at work, which sometimes happened when the time tended to get away from his wife, he and Harry would work on cooking dinner together. Sometimes he might have to send a note through the Floo to remind Echo it was time to come home, but once she was home, he could kiss her in welcome.

Home. Had he ever heard a more simple, idyllic word in his life? Now, if he and Echo could give Harry the little brother or sister he so dearly wished for every night before bed, it would be perfection.


At two p.m. on Friday, Severus left his son with Albus while he and Echo made their way to the temporary office of Healer Lauren Bell at St. Mungo's. Severus spent an annoying two hours in the waiting room while his wife was tested, poked, prodded, and probably drained of blood for various tests.

After the testing, Echo and Severus ate a late lunch at a nearby Muggle cafe. Neither could remember what they ate or even if it was any good. Husband and wife were both silent, both worried.

Finally, at a little before five o'clock, Severus and Echo occupied two chairs in a corner office that looked like its occupant hadn't quite finished unpacking. When the door to the office opened, admitting the Healer, Echo jumped with nervousness. Severus caught her hand and squeezed it lightly.

Lauren Bell was a witch in her early 50's with steel grey hair in a tight bun at the nape of her neck. When Severus first met the Healer early in the afternoon, she'd worn grey examination robes. She now wore pristine white robes with an embroidered Caduceus above her heart.

The Healer carried a folder which she opened as she seated herself at the desk. She smiled warmly.

"I know this has been a difficult afternoon for both of you, but I do have answers for you. I would like to begin with my first finding." She looked up from the folder and clasped her hands as she leaned slightly forward. "As you suspected, Mrs. Snape, you were cursed by your late husband."

Echo's grip tightened on Severus' hand.

Healer Bell held up one hand. "It is one that can be taken care of by a Curse Breaker. I've already sent a letter onto Bill Weasley who not only has an expertise in cursed objects, but he's been of invaluable assistance to St. Mungo's with some very difficult cases. Since you both know him, I took the liberty of requesting his services."

"What is the curse, Healer?" asked Severus.

"It's an Abortive Curse."

"A wh-what? Abortive? But Oland said... he wanted children!" exploded Echo, angry and distressed. "I don't understand...!"

"I can explain that, in a moment, Mrs. Snape." The Healer waited while Severus calmed his wife. She then continued, "Your miscarriages happened, according to what you told me, at five and a half weeks for the first one, and the second was at almost ten weeks." Echo nodded rapidly. "This curse was designed to terminate any pregnancy you had at seven months. I believe that your late husband never really wanted children, but just wanted a way to further control you in order for you to become more dependent upon him. The curse was designed to hurt you after you'd begun bonding with your child."

"That bastard!" hissed Severus. It was Echo's turn to calm her husband. Severus took a breath, voicing a further worry. "Healer Bell, Echo isn't now pregnant, is she? I mean, we really weren't think..." He winced as Echo's grip ground his fingers too tightly together.

"No. Thankfully she is not. I would suggest using a Contraceptive Potion instead of the Contraceptive Spell until it is safe for your wife to get pregnant. The breaking of the curse could cause a termination during removal if she were pregnant."

"Oh sweet Cybele! We were so stupid!" Echo berated herself.

"It's all right, my dear," inwardly he shuddered at how their enthusiasm for each other could have cost them the loss of their child.

Healer Bell's lips thinned and she nodded in agreement. "Indeed. Now, I need you to understand, Mrs. Snape, that due to the nature of the Abortive Curse and the fact that you miscarried long before the curse had a chance to activate means that the terminations were natural."

"What could have caused them?" Echo asked softly.

"You are a healthy young woman, Mrs. Snape, and I found no reason you shouldn't be able to carry a baby to term. Considering the circumstances of your first marriage, and the Coercive Magic you were subjected to, no doubt you were under a great deal of stress. It is very likely your body simply could not endure a healthy pregnancy then."

"Then I won't have trouble?" Echo was feeling tired from the news of the curse and somewhat elated that she was perfectly healthy. The two disparate emotions were warring within and making her wish she hadn't eaten lunch. To her great relief, Severus handed her a Calming Potion. She emptied the small phial quickly.

Healer Bell smiled, but it wasn't an 'all-is-well' smile. "I believe it would be in your best interest, Mrs. Snape, to be monitored closely when you do become pregnant. A regimen of Nutrition Potions, proper exercise, and weekly visits would be best." The Healer turned to Severus. "Mr. Snape, as you are a licensed Potions Master, you will be permitted to brew all potions that your wife needs. I understand you also have Third Level Healer Training as well?"

"Second," he corrected. "Fourth level is required for all Potions Masters, but... due to my work with the Order, it was necessary to increase my knowledge to a 2nd Level."

"Ah, second," the Healer made a correction in her file. "You'll be permitted to treat your wife, then, but I expect a concise report be sent to me, and if needed, a follow-up exam. I am the Obstetrician, you are not."

He nodded curtly. "That is acceptable," Severus agreed.

The Healer sighed and now her smile was back to its generous warmth. "All we need do now is arrange an appointment with Mr. Weasley to break the curse. That can be done in the privacy of your home, if you wish?" Both Echo and Severus nodded. "Perfect. I will be there as well, just in case." Lauren glanced down at her folder. "You have a son, don't you? Six years old?"

"Harry. He's seven," replied Severus.

"It might be best to arrange someplace for him to go on that day. Curse breaking can be somewhat disconcerting for a child."

"That will be taken care of, Healer Bell," acknowledged Severus.


Severus was planning for himself and Echo to Floo directly from St. Mungo's to Fairwinds Manor, but when they approached the Public Floo, Echo, who had been silent, spoke up.

"I don't want to go home, yet. Could we go for a walk, Severus?"

"Of course. Anyplace in particular?" he asked gently. He didn't like the way Echo was hugging herself so tightly.

Echo shook her head. "Just... outside. Please?"

They left St. Mungo's emerging onto a sidewalk in Muggle London. Sensing that his touch wasn't yet wanted, Severus walked quietly beside his wife for several blocks. Every once in awhile he glanced sideways at her, but she hadn't changed and was still holding herself. When they reached a small park, Echo left the sidewalk and began to walk upon the grass until they were isolated from any gawkers. Neither were in Muggle garb and they had already garnered a few curious stares.

"Echo? Would you say something?" Severus encouraged her. "You're beginning to frighten me, and I'm not a man easily frightened."

"Everytime... just when I think Oland's done the worst he could to me... there's something else. Something worse. I know there's really nothing to explain why he cursed me, but I can't help asking why he wanted to do such a horrible thing to me? All this time, I thought it was me. I know he hurt me and I know that wasn't my fault. But, I really did think I killed my babies."

Her anguish was so plaintive, so palpable, that it hurt Severus to witness it. He drew his wife close to himself and stroked his fingers soothingly over her scalp. "You didn't, though."

"It still hurts, Severus," Echo gasped as she slipped her arms around his waist. "And, I still feel at fault. I could have left. He didn't bind my magic. I could have done a Contraceptive Spell and he wouldn't have known!"

"He would have known," Severus said almost so softly, Echo almost didn't hear him.

"What do you mean? How would he have known?"

"When Draco, Remus, and I were moving out your things, Remus detected some Dark spells around the house. There were a myriad of spells in place to keep you in that house, to track you. Had you tried to leave, Oland would have known. If you had used any sort of Healing magic, of which the Contraceptive Spell is so considered, he would have known."

Echo shuddered sharply. She then spat, "I hope he lies in Hecate's embrace and is burning! Forever!"

"I have no doubt that he is." Severus relaxed his hold on his wife and urged her to look up at him. "Echo, you survived. You are whole, and healthy. We will have children together." He smirked lightly. "After all, our son is impatient for a little sister or brother."

Echo breathed a sigh of relief and kissed her husband. "I am pleased that I am healthy and there's such a good chance I can carry a child to term, but, Severus, I'm still afraid."

"I know," he brushed his lips to her cheek. "I am, too. However, we will get through this, no matter what the outcome may be. I promise you this."

Arching up on tiptoes, she breathed into his ear, "I love you, Severus."

Severus pulled Echo tightly, again, and kissed her most thoroughly. He was quite pleased by the blossoming passion in her dark blue eyes. He smiled, and whispered, "I love you, Beauty."