Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 51

Draco sauntered into the Slytherin common room to find the boys sitting sullenly in one corner by the window that looked out over the city of the Mer People under the lake. Giggling and gossiping, the girls were all by the fire.

"Professor Weasley, again?" Draco asked of Blaise Zabini as he joined the boys and leaned against the wall to watch the girls.

"Who else is on the hearts and minds of every blasted girl in Hogwarts?" He grinned cheekily at Draco. "He's probably on the minds of a few boys, too."

"He needs to get married," groused Ambrose Doyle, a fifth year boy.

"At least you've got a girlfriend who's keeping her attention on you, Drake" growled Vincent Crabbe as he glared at Millicent Bulstrode who had been going out with him since summer began.

Draco snorted. Only that evening, as he and Hermione had taken their usual after dinner walk, the Gryffindor girl had complained about the recent feminine noise that was occurring with disturbing regularity in their common room over the new Potions professor.

"My girlfriend has a preference for sophisticated blondes, not piratical redheads," declared Draco. Thank goodness Hermione has become immune to the charms of Weasley men!

Pansy Parkinson divested herself from the group of chattering girls and glanced haughtily at Draco. "Still playing around with that Mudblood, Draco?"

The young man's grey eyes narrowed dangerously at the raven-haired girl. Her arm snaked through Edgar Montague's, a seventh year who seemed to wear a perpetual scowl on his face. The scowl turned into a decidedly murderous, silent warning that Draco better not try and correct his girlfriend.

Draco and Edgar had both lost their fathers to a Dementor's Kiss, but it certainly hadn't brought the two any closer. Edgar could care less about what others believed in regards to Blood. He was a bully, pure and simple. Since Draco's first day the two had been wary opponents. By virtue of having been the son of Lucius Malfoy, Draco had escaped being summarily beaten up by the older boy in his first year. Now Draco was safe only because he was better at dueling and much faster than the burly seventh year was.

"Don't say that word in front of me, Parkinson," warned Draco with a hiss.

He knew he'd used that insult one too many times himself, especially towards Hermione. Draco's nose quite recalled the painful break Hermione had given him when her temper had finally had enough of his childish stupidity. He had since apologised, for all of that, and Hermione had forgiven him, but it still made his stomach clench sourly to hear someone else say such spiteful things towards the girl.

Pansy's unflattering pug-like face twisted acidly as she sneered hotly at Draco. "Your father would disown you if he knew you were down in the dirt with something like Granger."

Draco bristled as he straightened. His wand had slipped silently into his hand. "My father debased himself at the feet of a bloody madman, Parkinson! You think I give a damn what my father thinks now that he's well deserved worm food?"

Pansy's parents, merely financial supporters, had each escaped the fate of the Dementors Kiss by spending only a few months in Azkaban for their transgressions. Socially, politically, and even financially, her family had been ruined, as so many other Death Eater families had. Yet, even now Pansy still scrambled to find someone in power, at least in Hogwarts, to ally herself with.

The sad truth of the matter was that those Death Eater children, like Pansy, that still tried to cling to what was, only found themselves further lost and confused in the long run. It was this knowledge that kept any further insults Draco had to himself and made him walk away from the argument.

Pansy, though, never knew when to leave well enough alone. In her anger, she struck out. "Sectumsempra!"

The Cutting Curse hit the the blonde haired boy and sliced raggedly through his robes and deep into his side. For a moment Draco stood frozen, shocked by the pain, and by the fact that he'd left himself so vulnerable. He looked down where his hand was pressed to his damaged side. He gaped dumbly at the blood that began flowing through his fingers.

"Oh, bugger," he swore before passing out.


Draco woke up to the sound of someone crying and voices speaking softly. One was angry. The other was soothing. Another seemed worried. The tears belonged to someone else.

Draco hurt. He didn't need this confusion right now. He slipped back into the darkness that waited on the edge of his consciousness and wouldn't awaken again until nearly twelve hours had passed.


"Hermione?" there was a small hand wrapped in his and over the clasped hands spilled an abundance of soft, curly hair.

"I'm here, love." Hermione stirred, ignored her stiff back, and straightened. She then smiled at the young man whose face was nearly as white as the sheets he lay upon. "How are you feeling?"

Draco tried to speak, but his mouth and throat felt suddenly lined with cotton. Hermione conjured a glass of cool water for him and held it to his lips. It felt so wonderful that he smiled a bit giddily. A nod of his head indicated he wanted more. Hermione helped him until he finished the water.

"What was it your cousin David said when he fell out of the tree this summer?" asked Draco wincing.

"He said he felt like he'd been hit by a Mack truck," Hermione replied, a slight smile curving the corner of her mouth.

Hermione had pointed the big rigs out to him as they passed by the busy highway near where her family's cousins lived in America. He found them to be very impressive. He grimaced. "I feel like I've been struck by one of those." He tried to sit up, but failed. "What did Parkinson do to me?"

"The Cutting Curse, Draco." Severus swept in and seated himself on the other side of his godson.

"Uncle Severus!" he smiled, his eyes brightening at the sight of his only real family. Since his mother deigned to send him only insulting letters, he began to think strongly that Narcissa Malfoy wasn't worthy to be considered his family anymore. Severus, Harry, Echo and Hermione were the ones he loved. They mattered.

"I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that Miss Parkinson will no longer be attending Hogwarts. As you might have heard, the Cutting Curse is forbidden to anyone under 18. She could have been sent straight to Azkaban, but her mother pleaded, quite eloquently, on her behalf, and she will now remain under house arrest and tutored at home until she passes her NEWTs."

Draco chuckled. "Good luck with that. Parkinson's got the mind of a bird! She'll be stuck in her home forever."

"Tut, tut," began Severus teasingly, "you mustn't insult the feathered creatures in such a manner. Highly unbecoming."

"Sorry, sir," Draco said contritely, a smirk gleaming in his silvery-grey eyes.

Severus acknowledged the smirk. "I think you should say goodbye to Hermione so she can get back to Gryffindor tower before curfew."

The Potions Master rose and stepped away several feet, allowing the young couple a moment to themselves. After a quick kiss to Draco, and a short farewell to Severus, Hermione was quickly making her way out of the Infirmary and back to the tower.

"I suppose you'll be going too, sir," Draco said, a touch mournfully.

Severus retook his chair. "I have no intention of leaving, Draco," he asserted.

Draco's eyes widened in surprise. "But, why? You're not my Head of House anymore."

"Quite true, I am not. However, we are family, and it is my duty to watch over you. Harry is with Echo and he'll be coming in the morning before he goes to school. We'll all have breakfast together."

Draco smiled as warmth blossomed from his chest. Family. With a yawn, and now feeling truly safe, he slipped back to sleep and didn't wake until Harry was hugging him in the morning.


Draco quickly recovered and found a new solidarity amongst the older Slytherins when he returned. Even Andrew Dermott, the fifth year who just never seemed able to keep his opinions, good or bad, to himself, was pleased to see Draco returned. Edgar Montague was gone, though. Although he hadn't attacked Draco, he'd contacted his aunt, since both his parents were dead, and asked if he could leave Hogwarts.

"Probably at Durmstrang," supplied Vincent Crabbe as Draco seated himself in the best chair in the common room.

"We had a meeting," added Gregory Goyle.

"About what?" asked Draco, genuinely curious.

"With Professor Weasley," replied Millicent. "He made it clear to us that we really can't afford to fight amongst ourselves. Us older kids, especially. We all lost a lot of family to You-Know-Who and to the Dementors."

Tracey Davis spoke up, "Whatever our parents, uncles, aunts, or cousins might have believed, doesn't matter. We're the ones left behind to clean it all up. More than anything, what Professor Snape always taught us about having a united front is more important than ever. Despite those we lost, we're the ones left to bring honor back to our families, and to our House."

"Professor Weasley told us," continued Crabbe, "that he talked to the Headmaster and the Headmaster said that if any of us don't want to stay at Hogwarts, we can go. With the exception of Edgar, the rest of us want to stay right here."

Draco smiled at that. As it stood, there were now only eleven fifth, sixth, and seventh year Slytherin students. There were many that hadn't shown up when term began after the Final Battle when he was a fifth year. Luckily there were a good portion of first through fourth years.

Millicent spoke up, unwittingly voicing the thought that went through Draco's head, "It's up to us to watch over the younger years."

Draco sighed happily. He'd never been more proud to be a Slytherin then at that moment.


The rest of the school week sped by without anymore unprovoked attacks, from any side, or any House. The Hogwarts students were finally able to look forward to a Hogsmeade weekend.

Narcissa, neglectful in her parental duties once again, sent Draco to his godfather to get his permission slip for Hogsmeade signed.

Knowing that Severus and Echo sometimes had dinner with the Headmaster, and Professor McGonagall on Fridays, Draco made his way, right before dinner, to the Headmaster's office.

After trying almost twenty different sweets on the stupid gargoyle, none of which worked, the gargoyle rolled its stone eyes at the Slytherin and growled in a gravelly voice, "Oh! Just go on up already!"

The gargoyle rolled aside and Draco leapt up the stairs. The Headmaster smiled in greeting and waved the boy over. "I've been wondering if you'd join us, Mr. Malfoy. Do come and sit down."

Draco, slightly breathless, paused as he saw an empty setting beside Harry waiting for him. Echo smiled, Harry grinned, and Severus nodded. "Don't keep us waiting, Draco. We're all rather hungry."

Forgetting for the moment why he was there, Draco slid in beside Harry. "Hey, Snapelet."

"Tell him, Dad," urged Harry, who looked like he was just barely keeping himself from exploding from his seat.

"Tell me what?" asked Draco as he served himself some thin slices of roast beef.

Severus looked hesitant, and scowled at everyone. "This is premature, but considering recent events, and the fact that you're here... Madame!" he winced as his wife elbowed his ribs sharply.

"Will you just tell Draco what our plans are, my dear?" she smiled sweetly which helped to melt her husband's practiced glare.

Draco looked between his aunt and then his uncle, and out of the corner of his eye he could see Harry now bouncing in his seat. Automatically, Draco put a calming hand on the little boy's head. Harry shrugged off his big brother's hand, but kept grinning.

"I... we wish to offer you a place you may call home. I think you already know you are welcome, anytime, at Fairwinds, but Echo, Harry, and I wish you to understand that we consider you family, not a guest. There is a room for you..."

Harry, who finally had to explode, exclaimed, "Next to mine!"

"Yes," drawled Severus giving his son a stern look, warning him to behave at the dinner table.

"You're serious?" gasped Draco, his throat feeling suddenly choked.

"Most assuredly," said Severus archly. "I do wish we could effect a stronger guardianship of you, Draco, but that is impossible since your mother would most certainly object. Despite Narcissa, though..."

"I have a home. With you." Draco couldn't stop the grin that spread over his face.

Echo left her seat and kissed his cheek and embraced him. "You do, Draco."


The trip to Hogsmeade was to begin at 10am on the dot. The children, who had their permission slips signed by parents or guardians, assembled out in front of the castle as they waited for the Thestral drawn carriages to take them to the village.

"Do you see him, yet, Draco?" asked Hermione as she squinted into the sunlight of the morning towards the gates of Hogwarts.

"Uncle Severus said he'd be here right before the carriages left, Hermione. When have you ever known him to be late?" he smiled.


Severus Apparated with his son to the Apparation point outside the gates of Hogwarts. Beneath his purple winter outer clothing, Harry wore a white jumper that had been knitted for him by Molly, a cotton, long-sleeved shirt, trousers, and a pair of boots and thick socks.

"Daddy! Look at the carriages!" Harry was nearly beyond excited. Ever since Draco had asked his father if Harry could come along on the first Hogsmeade Weekend, Harry had been marking the days on his calendar.

Harry had woken before both his parents and had nearly gone to wake them up, when Dobby wisely diverted him and put some of his excess energy to work in the kitchen fixing breakfast. Once breakfast was out of the way, the excited little boy had sprinted up the stairs to get dressed. He then planted himself in front of the Floo and surprised Severus by waiting, as patiently as possible, until it was time to leave.

"Why don't you go and find Draco, Harry?" suggested Severus. "I'll be right behind you."

Harry hesitated only a moment, and then ran over to the crowd of students and disappeared within them.

A few minutes later, Harry tripped and felt himself being assisted back onto his feet. "Mr. Potter," said McGonagall as she looked down her thin nose at him. "I wasn't aware that you were joining us today."

"Aunt Minnie!" Minerva took the enthusiastic hug in stride, keeping her stern expression, even as some of her cubs giggled at the sight. "I'm going to Hogsmeade with Draco and Hermione just like the big kids do!"

"Greetings, Minerva," came Severus' voice behind his son.

"Severus! Are you going to be helping us to chaperon today?" teased Minerva.

Severus smirked and nearly laughed. "That is an odious duty I needn't bother with anymore, Minerva."

"And I can see you're clearly heartbroken about it, Severus," she smiled stiffly with a slight twinkle of her own.

"Uncle Severus! Harry! Over here!" Harry immediately ran over to his big brother.

"Will you be going along, Minerva?" asked Severus in mild concern.

The older woman nodded. "As will Aurora and Remus will be there, too."

"Very good then," nodded Severus and he turned, looking for which carriage his son was in. He saw Harry on Hermione's lap and made his way over to the sixth carriage.

"Hi, Uncle Severus," greeted Draco.

"Hello, professor," smiled Hermione as she tucked Harry's scarf around his neck.

"Draco, Miss Granger. Harry?" the little boy turned and flashed a smile at his father. "I expect you to obey your brother, and Miss Granger. Don't go wandering, and stay with them."

"Yes, Dad," Harry sighed, letting out just a bit of exasperation towards his overprotective father.

"I also expect you to behave for your grandfather this evening as well." Harry's attention had been distracted, and Severus stretched out a hand and gently caught Harry's chin. "Did you hear what I just said, son?"

"Behave for Draco, Hermione, and grandfather."

Severus let a small smile touch the corner of his mouth. Harry leaned over the side of the carriage and managed to give his father a kiss before the carriage jerked into motion. Harry let out a joyous squeal and Hermione slipped an arm around the child's waist, anchoring him to her lap.

Severus stayed in place long after the carriages vanished on the horizon. He was certainly looking forward to a long weekend with Echo, but he felt a painful tightness in his heart as his son was taken away.


After another lecture from Professor McGonagall the students were allowed to roam the streets of Hogsmeade. Minerva, Aurora Sinistra, and Remus Lupin each did some window shopping, ran a few errands, and kept at least one eye on the various groups of children running about.

An hour into the visit, Remus had to break up a fight between a Slytherin boy and a Ravenclaw girl. Aurora was watching a seventh year couple that were hoping to steal away for a bit of clandestine behavior, but she thwarted them. Minerva broke up a few arguments and then retired to the Three Broomsticks to await her colleagues for some tea and lunch.

To Hermione's disgust, the first stop for Harry and Draco was Langley's Best Brooms. A rival to Quality Quidditch Supplies in Diagon Alley, Langley's only concentrated on brooms. Draco still loved Quidditch, but he was now consumed by the Brooms Racing bug. Hermione was surprised to find a broom meant purely for mundane flying travel. The particular model she was looking at was made specifically for witches and had such amenities as Cushion Charms, Weather Repelling Charms, and something called a Back Support Charm.

"So the bookworm has finally found a broom to salivate over?" sniggered Draco.

"It's practical, Draco! Look, if a witch has children, it has an optional Wee-Broom, or a Broom Trailer."

Draco slipped his arms around Hermione's waist and brushed his lips against her ear. "So, does that mean you'd like to have children? With me?"

Hermione blushed scarlet, and she leaned back against Draco. "I'd love to have lots of babies with you, Drake." She then turned slightly in his arms and grinned wickedly, "But only if I can have one of those!"

Draco laughed and kissed her lightly.


Hermione, Draco, and Harry joined Ron, and Ginny at the Three Broomsticks for lunch.

"I don't like cauliflower, do I have to have that?" asked Harry as he sat between Ginny and Hermione.

Draco huffed. "Harry, you have to have something and you've already said no to carrots, peas, broccoli, and corn. Uncle Sev said you have to have one vegetable and one fruit at lunch."

"Do I have to eat them? They taste yucky."

"I always used to eat mine and then spit it into my napkin," chuckled Ron.

"Hey, Weasel! Don't give the Snapelet any ideas!" growled Draco.

"Every kid figures that one out, Draco," sniggered Ginny. "I bet even you spit out food at your parents table."

"No. I didn't." Hermione saw the haunted look in her boyfriend's eyes as he stared down at his menu. Just as Ginny was going to continue to tease, Hermione warned the girl with a sharp shake of her head.

"I don't want any vegetables," sighed Harry.

"How about a sandwich?" asked Ron. "You eat sandwiches with tomatoes and lettuce, right?"

"And cheese!" smiled Harry.

Draco frowned at the little boy. "You won't eat a salad that has lettuce and tomato, but you'll eat a sandwich with them?"

Harry nodded. "Yep, because on a sandwich they're a sandwich and not vegetables anymore. Didn't you know that?"

Ginny laughed, as did Hermione. Draco lifted his eyes skyward and slumped in resignation in his chair. "Can we finally order now?" he pleaded plaintively.


"Gurk!" Ron gasped as his robe collar tightened abruptly around his throat. Just as quickly, the tension left.

"Sorry 'bout that, Weasel," chuckled Draco from behind.

Ron whirled and sneered angrily. "Ferret face! Is it your usual habit to lurk outside the loo and try to choke people that are leaving?"

"No, I think that's Zabini's trick. Anyway," Draco grabbed Ron's sleeve and dragged him away from the door to the men's bathroom at the back of the Three Broomsticks. "I need your help."

Ron yanked his sleeve from the Slytherin's grip. "What with?"

"I need to run an errand, and I need you and Ginny to keep Hermione with you."

"Aren't you shopping a bit early for Christmas?" asked Ron.

"It isn't for Christmas, Weasel," hissed Draco. "Can't you and Ginny just keep Hermione busy for an hour?" Suddenly he grinned. "My treat for dessert?"

Ron punched Draco's shoulder and chuckled. "She's our friend, you stupid ferret. Friends don't need a bribe."

"Oh... well." Draco still wasn't used to having Ron Weasley, much less his entire family, now as friends. That, and he wasn't entirely used to Gryffindor sensibilities that meant they did favors at the drop of a hat and without expectation of payback.

Ron grinned wickedly and thumped Draco on his back, "If it will make your Slytherin pride feel better, we'll meet you at Dribbles for ice cream in one hour. You pay."

Draco smirked, "Yeah, one hour."

"You want Harry to stay with us?" asked Ron.

"Nope. Harry's my excuse."

The two young men made their way back to the girls and Harry and found Luna and Neville talking to them. Ron scowled at Neville. The once nervous boy had finally lost his baby fat and his height nearly exceeded that of all the other boys in Gryffindor, with the exception of Ron. Neville had been paying Ginny an inordinate amount of attention since the beginning of term.

Luna was crouched down by Harry and she was 'sketching' curious creatures in a variety of glowing colours in the air with her wand. She had just finished sketching a squat looking creature with muttonchop like whiskers, a frowning face, and spiral horns.

"This is the Twill Horned Treegle. They live in magical trees that only grow in the warmest places on earth," Luna told the fascinated boy.

Hermione sighed, "Really, Luna, is it necessary fill his head with such nonsense?"

Luna glanced dreamily over her shoulder at Hermione. "Nonsense is the basis of a firm imagination, Hermione." Luna rose to her feet. As she did so, she twirled a strand of Harry's hair in her fingers. "And, imagination, little Harry, is magic." Lightly tapping his head, golden sparkles fell from the tips of his hair and as the sparkles hit the ground, they laughed and vanished.

Harry clapped his hands together and then beamed up at Luna with pure adoration.

"Come on, Snapelet," said Draco, noting Harry's smitten look. He tapped the boy's shoulder and held out his hand. "We need to run that errand your Dad told us not to forget."

Harry grinned as he took Draco's proffered hand. He was going to be part of another secret! His big brother had let him in on it when Hermione detoured into the Ink & Quill Stationers shop before lunch.

"Yeah, we have to buy me some boy stuff and girls aren't allowed," he grinned. Of course, if he and Draco were really going to buy him underwear, he wouldn't be letting everyone know. Since it was just a trick, though, he was all right with playing along.

"Dribbles. In an hour, okay?" suggested Draco.

Hermione smiled knowingly and Draco sighed with a resigned smile. The witch was too smart, really.

Hermione and Draco parted company after exchanging a chaste kiss.

When they were some distance away, Harry asked, "Do I get to know what the surprise is now, Draco, cuz, I don't really want to go buy underwear."