Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 54

Molly Weasley's little red schoolhouse had been decorated by her students for Halloween. There were enchanted pumpkins floating overhead, and little bats flittering here and there. Everywhere one looked there were great swaths of fake cobwebbing and little, thankfully enchanted, spiders of orange and black colours. On the walls were dozens of pieces of artwork that depicted various aspects of Halloween from a child's perspective.

The desks had been moved back against the walls and down the center of the main classroom was a table laden with a large bowl of pumpkin juice, cookies in the shapes of pumpkins, skulls, bats, and ghosts.

Molly's students were the final decoration to the classroom as they were all dressed in costumes that Molly had fine-tuned for them.

Hamish was dressed rather regally as Salazar Slytherin. His trim moustache kept slipping sideways when he smiled.

Daniella looked rather fetching as the Faerie Queen, Mab. In time, the awkward girl would outgrow her spectacles and skinny limbs to become quite as beautiful as Mab herself was.

Mouse was costumed as a knight who jangled wherever he walked and he had to watch himself and not trip over his over-long sword.

Andrew dressed up as his hero, Merlin. His beard was a bit too long and had to be tucked into the belt around his waist.

Harry had been offered a variety of costumes to wear, but he'd insisted on dressing as the Captain of the Phoenix that he'd met on Solonus Isle. Harry looked outrageous in black velvet trousers tucked into cuffed, leather boots, a frock coat of red and gold, and an elaborate, tri-cornered hat that had a green feather that kept hitting everyone whenever he walked by them.

This was the Halloween party for Molly's students. Their parents, or guardians had been invited for the sweet feast so that they could meet each other (although most already knew each other) and so their children could show off their work.

Andrew Bulstrode's parents had not come, but his sister, who doted on her little brother, came. Millicent listened to all of her brother's chatter as he showed off his desk and some of his projects.

Millicent subtly directed her brother over to Severus. Almost as tall as her ex-Head of House, she smiled brightly. "Good afternoon, Professor Snape, Madame Snape. I'd like you to meet my brother, Andrew."

Andrew, who was in the midst of a growth spurt, still found the infamous Severus Snape to be a tall, imposing figure. He leaned slightly against his sister. "Hullo," he managed softly. Millicent whispered something to him, and the little boy bowed quickly.

Severus returned the bow, and spoke, "It's very good to finally meet you, Andrew. Harry speaks well of each of you."

Andrew grinned. "Harry's neat. Maybe someday you'll let him come play at my house? Ouch!" Millicent had elbowed her brother. Severus glanced quizzically at the Slytherin girl.

"I'm sorry, sir," she muttered in disgust, but not for her brother, but apparently for her parents. "If it's all right, maybe someday I can bring Andrew to your home so he and Harry can play?"

"That would be acceptable, Miss Bulstrode." Millicent, still a bit embarrassed drew her brother over to the cookies.

Echo whispered, "I take it her parents aren't exactly fond of you?"

"It appears that the Bulstrodes are still of the opinion that I was a true Death Eater." He grit his teeth sharply together and Echo squeezed his arm in reassurance.

The tension was happily relieved as Harry, the ship's captain, dragged the Faerie Queen over towards his parents.

"Mum! Dad! This is Dani! My girlfriend," he declared proudly.

Severus was very glad he'd refused the pumpkin juice a few minutes ago, else it would have been sprayed across the room. "Girlfriend?" He asked warily, his voice sounding slightly strangled. He cast a sideways glare at his sniggering wife.

Harry frowned slightly. "Yeah. Dani's a girl and she's my friend." Harry glossed over the confusion by extolling Daniella's intelligence and love of books. Daniella blushed under the attention. When the little girl was called away by her parents, Harry grinned after her. "Dani's really shy, but me an' Mouse don't scare her. Will you come and meet Mouse? He's my best friend."

Echo replied, "Lead on, Harry."

Hieronymus Tonks stood next to his Aunt Andromeda. His uncle, Ted Tonks, rarely left the Muggle world and so he was not at the party.

Severus knew Andromeda from his days at school. The sister of Bellatrix Lestrange and Narcissa Malfoy had been excised from the Black family for marrying Ted Tonks. Andromeda had the beauty inherent in the Black sisters, but her beauty had settled well into her age. She was a woman that smiled easily, despite the loss of her only child, Nymphadora.

"Family life suits you, Severus," greeted Andromeda graciously with a smile.

"That it does. Allow me to introduce my wife, Echo. Echo, this is Andromeda Tonks."

Echo nodded to the taller witch. "Very good to meet you. I understand that Harry and Mouse are best friends."

Andromeda chuckled. "Quite so. It seems everyday Hieronymus is telling us how wonderful Harry is, or how smart and so on."

"We've heard the same about Hieronymus," agreed Severus.

Finally the Halloween party drew to a close. Echo had scheduled several weekend playdates with Harry's friends, and to Severus' dismay, Echo had also planned a day for all of Harry's school friends to come to Fairwinds. At least that wouldn't happen until next summer!


The Halloween Ball at Hogwarts was a fine affair for the older students. There were a few, mostly the fourth years, that dressed up in costume, but for the most part the boys brought their dress robes, and the girls all had beautiful frocks to show off.

Echo remained inside with Minerva after she'd had her fill of 'blasting rosebushes'.

The two women stood by the door that led from the Great Hall and out into the courtyard that still bloomed with magical flowers and trees. They heard a yelp, some shouting, and a young couple darted into the Great Hall to escape the further wrath of Severus Snape.

"Is it that Severus is truly concerned about their virtue, or is it that he enjoys scaring the daylights out of his students?" asked Echo.

"The latter, I believe," chuckled Minerva. "Severus is fortunate that those roses are Ever-Blooming, or he'd have been out on his... well, his backside ages ago. Albus rather likes those roses."


Severus Snape was a predator. Overly hormonal teenagers were his prey. With his cloak undulating with the combination of his stealthy movements and the chill breeze, he prepared to strike with his wand, casting a silent charm that blew apart rose bushes rather spectacularly. Sometimes there was nothing hidden by the roses. Then there were those jubilant times when he caught a couple, startling the young adults from their explorations, and scaring them right back into the castle.

This activity is what made Halloween special for Severus.

Another slice with his wand blew apart the bright yellow petals of one rosebush. The couple hiding within the prickly interior fell apart, each landing on their bums.

"Draco!" thundered Severus as he saw just who he'd found. As Draco skittered backwards over the snowy ground, Severus rose to his full height, a look of disappointment, disapproval, and disdain aimed at the two teenagers. "Miss Granger, go and fix your... makeup," he ordered in his velvet toned voice.

Hermione quickly pulled herself to her feet, gathered up the hem of her dress, and ran like a rabbit back into the castle. Severus leaned over, grasped his godson by his collar, and yanked him to his feet.

"You're choking me, Uncle!" protested Draco.

"I'm quite well aware of that, Mr. Malfoy," Severus let the boy go with a jerk and Draco stumbled slightly, but remained on his feet. "Follow me. Now."

Severus spun away, and also away from the entrance that led to the courtyard. Fixing his bowtie, and straightening his shirt, Draco broke into a trot in order to keep up with his godfather.

Draco was out of breath by the time they reached the Potions classroom in the dungeons. Severus allowed the boy a minute or two to catch his breath, and then began his lecture.

"I realise that you and Miss Granger are teenagers, and in love, and I don't expect either of you to be so chaste that not even a kiss is allowed between the two of you. However, such behavior as I witnessed will not be tolerated."

"But we didn...!" protested the Slytherin.

"No?" Severus' eyebrow rose up and he crossed his arms tightly over his chest. "Do forgive my poor eyesight, but I suppose that was not your hand within your intended's bodice?" The sarcasm was sharp and the elder wizard's voice was dangerous.

"I... it... uh... we didn't get fa...oh bloody hell," he cursed in a whisper. He dropped heavily onto the bench.

Severus relaxed his stiff posture and seated himself on the edge of a desk. "Draco, you and Hermione are of the age of consent, and I would not dare to interfere in... this side of your relationship, but you did tell me, did you not, that you wanted to go through the Betrothel Ceremony?" Draco nodded miserably. "Then you and Hermione need to control your hormones and not let them tread on your common sense. You know that the Betrothel Ceremony cannot be performed if you consummate your relationship before marriage."

Draco cringed both in embarrassment and for the simple fact that he'd sort of forgotten about the Betrothal Ceremony. "I'm sorry, Uncle Severus. We just got a little carried away. And, I can't stand that we can't be together until after we both finish school. It's torture!"

"If it's that horrible," Severus sneered lightly, "then I suppose the traditions you both wished to embrace aren't all that important to you." He paused for a moment, expecting some sort of answer, but Draco only stared intently at the tips of polished shoes. "Well? Are they? Draco, sit up straight, look at me, and do me the favor of at least appearing to be listening to me."

"Yes, sir." Draco straightened on the bench and raised his gaze to his godfather's.

"Good. Now answer me, please."

"They're important to Hermione, so they are important to me," Draco replied, his cheeks colouring lightly.

"Then I expect you both to behave with the decorum of a traditional, courting couple. You are a gentleman and Hermione is a lady. This means there are to be no illicit trysts in rose bushes, alcoves, or broom closets." Severus glared at the pout that was threatening to appear on his godson's pale features. "Mr. Malfoy, if you're not serious about this relationship, I will make certain you and Miss Granger are thinking only of your NEWTs 'til the day you finish school. Am I understood?"

Draco's cheeks flushed with anger and he stood up in order to be face-to-face with his godfather. "We ARE serious! I want Hermione! I want her as my wife! The mother of my children! My best friend! And don't you dare try and come between us, Uncle because she's FIRST in my life, and you aren't!"

Draco stepped back and was knocked back onto the bench when the backs of his knees hit it. He stayed put since he was feeling suddenly rubbery-legged. That, and for some odd reason his godfather didn't appear as though he was going to shred him, but was smiling rather smugly.

"What?" demanded Draco waspishly.

"That's just what I wanted to hear, Draco. Hermione should come first in your life." Severus rose to his feet and adjusted his robes.

"Oh." Draco stared at his godfather. He wasn't entirely certain that he'd only gotten off with such a mild warning. "Uncle Severus?"

"Yes, Draco?"

"Do you think Hermione and I are idiots for choosing the old traditions before we marry? I mean, you and Echo didn't."

Severus turned and nudged his godson so he'd stand up. He replied as he led the young wizard out of the classroom.

"I don't think you're at all foolish to be honoring your heritage in such a way, Draco. Many of our old traditions are dying out because they're no longer considered important, or useful. The Betrothal Ceremony is a remarkably beautiful invocation of the magic between two souls. Personally, I'm quite looking forward to Witnessing your ceremony as I've only ever read about them. As for Wizard Courting, I think you need not be so rigid there. After all, I think the Grangers have already accepted you as their daughter's intended."

Draco smiled for a bit, and then it slipped away. "Mother will kill me, though. She'll never accept Hermione."

"You haven't written to her, yet?" asked Severus, a little surprised.

"I've tried, Uncle. Really, I have, but I just don't know what to say. Of course, the last letter from her told me all about this house she wanted to buy in Naples. She didn't ask after me at all."

Severus draped his arm lightly over his godson's shoulders. "You'll have to tell her someday, Draco. The longer you put it off, the greater the chance Narcissa will do something foolish."

"All right. I'll see what I can put together tomorrow. Will you look it over?" asked Draco.

"Certainly." They had reached the interior entrance to the Great Hall and Severus stopped on its threshold. He lowered his voice, just for his godson to hear. "Don't spend the next year and a half bemoaning the fact that you both chose to wait, according to custom. Instead, use the time you have before marriage to cherish each hour you spend with Hermione."

"Thank you, Uncle." Draco gave his godfather a small smile and then made his way back into the Great Hall. He soon saw Hermione waiting for him and once he reached her side, he drew her out onto the dance floor.

Severus leaned against the wall as he watched the happy couple. He hoped that when Narcissa finally chose to return that he'd be there with Draco and Hermione. That witch's hexes were always painful.