Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

Unlike many (if not all) of my other non-oneshot fics on here, this one is not going to be too long. Perhaps 5-10 chapters at most. This idea came to me and I have always wanted to to a creature one, and therefore it demanded to be written.

The Journey Begins
'But what about my owl, sir?' Harry stared at Dumbledore as they pair stood in the Headmaster's office, facing each other from opposite sides of the desk. He had just been asked to help Dumbledore with a rather interesting experiment in which would require him to look after a stray, magical cat for the duration of his summer. It was a rather odd request, although Harry felt proud when the headmaster explained how he trusted no one else with such a task.

'Hedwig will not be joining you at Privet Drive.' Dumbledore shook his head. 'Cats and owls are natural enemies, you understand. Perhaps it would be best for her to remain at Hogwarts until you return?'

Harry's shoulders slumped at this news and he wasn't sure if a cat would be any better than having his familiar around. He knew Hedwig and was rather attached to her presence, especially at Privet Drive when she had been his only friend. Although, if she stayed at Hogwarts than at least uncle Vernon wouldn't complain about the noise she made when she was hungry or longed to stretch her wings rather than being cramped in that cage. With that in mind, Harry reluctantly nodded his head while releasing a sad sigh of acceptance.

'I would not have asked this of anyone else, Harry.' Dumbledore added with a small smile marking his features.

'I am certain that in a matter of days you may even come to find peace in the company of this cat.'

'Does it have a name, sir?' Harry wondered.

'No, I'm afraid we haven't had the time to give him one.' Dumbledore chuckled. 'Perhaps you could do the honors?'

'Okay.' Harry instantly started thinking of possible names but none seemed to fit because he hadn't even see the cat yet. It was like picking “ginger” only to find that the creature was white. He'd have to wait until he met the cat before he picked the perfect name for it.

'Now remember the rules, Harry.' Dumbledore's tone gained an extra level of sternness about it.

'This cat cannot leave your side other than when you use the bathroom; he will wait patiently outside the door when this exception occurs. The cat has special food, although you may share occasional scraps with him if you like, nothing too sugary though as it might make him sick. He requires plenty of water and you needn't worry about getting a kitty litter as such a magical cat does not require one. I will leave that up to your imagination.' Dumbledore nodded as Harry frowned, trying to work out how that was possible but supposed it had something to do with magic.

'He is not an overly friendly cat, being a stray, although he will hopefully warm up to you over time. Please do not get offended if he doesn't. It may simply be in his nature.'

'Yes, sir.' Harry nodded with understanding and made sure to memorized these facts as he had never had a cat before, although he had picked up on a few things from all the time he had spent with Mrs Figg.

The door to the office opened and McGonagall walked in with a somewhat agitated frown on her face. Trailing behind her was the animal in question. The cat had a short-haired, black coat and deep brown eyes. His appearance was that simple, and yet it was the way it walked in which had caused Harry's gaze to linger a moment longer; the cat looked to be very dignified and somewhat annoyed although the boy hadn't realize that animals were capable of demonstrating such strong expressions and posture.

'Is he ready?' Dumbledore asked McGonagall.

'Oh, yes.' She scowed. 'As ready as he'll ever be.'

Harry wondered why McGonagall was in such a bad mood with the cat, being an animagus whose form was a tabby cat, he'd have thought she'd be rather fond of the species. Or maybe this one in particular was not to her liking?

'Is it...wild?' Harry wondered a little nervously. Stray cats meant they had no owner, right? Didn't that mean it wasn't trained and could react rather viciously?

'No, no, he is very well behaved and accustomed to being around almost any sort of being.' Dumbledore smiled at the cat, who almost appeared to be glaring back at him.

'Nevertheless, I expect you to treat him with respect, Harry.'

'Yes, sir.' Harry answered again.

'You best be going, Harry.' Dumbledore added. 'Lest you miss the train.'

'Yes, sir...thank you, sir.' Harry hurried towards the door where his trunk was waiting for him as he had been called to the office right from his dormitory by an urgent owl from Dumbledore, telling him to do so. Grasping the handle, he turned and glanced at the cat in which would be joining him for his journey.

'Erm, come?'He wasn't sure if the cat understood him well enough although Dumbledore had told him it knew human speech. The cat narrowed its eyes at the command and with an annoyed flick of its tail, he followed after the twelve-year-old Gryffindor.

Watching them leave, McGonagall turned to Dumbledore with a worried frown upon her face. 'Are you sure about this, Albus?' She wondered. 'Considering their history, I mean.'

'You needn't worry, Minerva.' Dumbledore smiled. 'I'm positive that both Severus and Harry shall be fine.'

'Severus was not at all pleased with your forced request.' She recalled with a scowl. 'It took me two hours to correctly transfigure him and apply all the spells!'

'All of them?' Dumbledore glanced at her with a serious expression.

'Yes, yes...all of them.' She waved her hand dismissively. 'I made sure he would be silent, invisible when...well, relieving himself and that any mess left behind would be vanished – this was the only way we were able to make him agree to the arrangement anyway – and I ensured that he could not scratch anyone or act in an otherwise threatening manner. The protection charms are also in place, as they had to be.' She verbally ticked off the list.

'And of course, Severus would be alerted to any danger regarding the boy or the failure of any wards.'

A silence fell over the room as Dumbledore nodded and thought about his plan, until something occurred to him and he instantly stared at McGonagall.

'Ah, but Minerva, I believe you have forgotten one final aspect.'

'What is it?' She wondered with concern. 'I put in placed the spells you instructed me to, with the additional ones to prevent his temper from coming out as well as taking away the effectiveness of his claws. What else could there be?' McGonagall stressed.

'And what of biting?' Dumbledore smiled. 'Severus can be very creative when need be. He cannot scratch, no, but can he bite?'

McGonagall merely gasped and clasped her hand over her mouth with the realization that even in her efforts to keep Harry safe as well as prevent Severus from lashing out in the irritation he would no doubt feel for the boy, she had accidentally left him with a evidentially feline weapon.

Oops.


'There you are!' Ron exhaled as he spotted Harry approaching him after they'd put their luggage on board the train.

'Who's the cat?' He stared down at the black creature keeping close to Harry's side where the creature glared at anyone who dared to nearly step on him.

'I'll explain in a minute.' Harry replied as everyone began to rush about the train, which was due to depart the station in five minutes. He said his goodbyes to Hagrid and a few others before he joined his redhead friend and Hermione in their search for a compartment.

They found one halfway along the train and quickly ducked inside. Hermione waited for the cat to follow Harry and jump onto the seat beside him, before she shut the door and turned to her friend for an explanation.

And while Harry explained the situation to his friends, the cat curled up beside him and scowled. Severus Snape spent the majority of the first hour attempting to rest as the transfiguration had taken up a bit of his own magic.

He had zero interest in what the annoying Gryffindors were discussing; it was bad enough he was forced to be anywhere near them, surely he was under no obligation to pay any attention to them? Not until they entered the muggle world, anyway; by then Granger and Weasley would be gone, thank Merlin.

Severus stretched and turned to glance outside the window of the moving train. It seemed as though he had slept a great deal longer than he'd intended and there was less than an hour until they would be arriving at their destination. Turning to look at the three Gryffindors, he realized that they had apparently ordered every possible option from the sweets trolley and were halfway through eating it all. Finding the display to be disgusting, Severus sat upright and glared elsewhere else, although his ears now paid closer attention to what was being said.

Honestly, how he got himself into these torturous tasks was beyond him.

'Aren't black cats meant to bring bad luck?' Ron mumbled through a bite of his chocolate frog.

Only to me, it would seem. Severus snorted although he made no sound; he really had no idea why both McGonagall and Dumbledore insisted that he be entirely mute while he was a cat, it wasn't as though he'd be able to talk anyway. And he was a spy, he knew how to be discreet and unnoticeable.

'Not necessarily.' Hermione added. 'It's mostly just a lot of silly superstition.'

'I hope so.' Harry smirked at her. 'Because I've got to spend all summer with it.'

'Yeah.' Ron laughed. 'Otherwise you're doomed!'

'Have you thought of what you're going to call him, yet?' Hermione wondered as she rolled her eyes at the boy's joke.

Don't remind him, you silly girl!

'Nah, I think I'll wait until I get to know him a little more.' Harry shrugged. 'I mean, I don't get to keep him but if I give him any name I've still got to put up with it for the whole summer.'

You've got to put up with it?! Well, excuse me, Potter, but I can hardly see how that could be so bloody terrible for YOU. It is not you who has to wear whatever ridiculous title you come up with. Merlin, grant me the strength survive this summer!

'It's just a cat.' Ron shrugged.

'I think Scabbers disagrees.' Harry grinned at the rat who was only noticeable by the shaking lump in Ron's jacket pocket.

'Harry, what about your relatives?' Hermione worried.

What about them?

'They never liked Hedwig because they thought I was sending secret messages or something.' Harry shrugged although he was clearly annoyed.

'And she hated being in a cage so she made a lot of noise. I don't think that's going to be much of a problem this time.'

'Yeah, but...' Hermione sighed. 'Hedwig was in your room the whole summer, doesn't the cat have to be with you at all times?'

Harry paled a little at that and Severus glanced over at him with curiosity. Did the Dursleys not like cats or something? Maybe they were allergic; he hoped so.

'I'll figure something out.' Harry replied and looked out the window, his enthusiasm began to fade with each mile that brought them closer to their destination. He hated Privet Drive and those who called themselves his relatives while they acted the complete opposite.

'Whew, what a year!' Ron exclaimed as the train began to emerge into the station a few hours later. 'Do you think we'll ever have a quiet year at Hogwarts?'

'No.' Hermione laughed.

Unfortunately, I am forced to agree. In two years these three Gryffindors have caused me more stress than the ten years before their arrival. I am not looking forward to the upcoming five years. Maybe I can get them expelled by then? My sanity depends on it.

'Come on, Harry!' Hermione urged as the boy was reluctant to leave the train. Maybe if he stayed on board than it would take him back to Hogsmeade and he could hide out there for the summer? Yeah, Harry didn't think so either.

'Let go.' He added to the cat, who obediently jumped from the seat to follow after him and constantly flicked its tail in annoyance towards the crowd around them.

Severus hurried after Harry and hated that he had to quicken his pace in order to keep up with the brat instead of it being the other way around. Moving through the barrier, he stood beside Harry as the boy said goodbye to his friends and began to search the muggle crowd for his relatives.

'Back are you, boy?' Vernon frowned as his nephew joined him. Instantly he noticed the absence of the owl's cage and smirked until his gaze trailed to the cat at his side.

'What's this?'

'Um, Dumbledore wants to borrow my owl for the summer but thought I should look after his cat in her place, like a trade.'Harry explained in a way that was suitable enough for the Dursleys to understand.

'The cat has to stay with me at all times, but it's very well behaved and never makes any noise.'

'It better not.' Petunia scowled.

'At least it's better than that ruddy owl.' Vernon added as he turned and led the way to the car.

Tuney. Severus eyed the horse-like woman he despised a great deal from their childhood. She didn't appear to have changed much, although given his small size it was difficult to really tell. No matter, he was likely to find out soon enough anyway.

Although he was a little confused as to why the beefy man hadn't offered to take Potter's trolley for him, also that Petunia was yet to ask her nephew how his year had been. And the other boy, the fat pig-like brat walking beside Potter didn't even greet him as he greedily slurped at his ice cream.

Torture. There is no other way to explain what these next few months are going to be like! Why, why did I allow this to happen?!

If Severus had been capable of making any sound, he'd have yelped quite loudly and in a very undignified manner when Potter suddenly picked him up and placed him onto the back seat of the car.

'Sorry.' The boy added quickly as he got in beside the cat. 'But they weren't going to wait. I'll ask your permission next time.'

You had better! Severus began to hope that cats truly did have nine lives because he was going to need every one of them in order to survive even a week of this unending horror.

-

Severus didn't get a chance to see much of the house, although he knew what it looked like from a few memories he'd been shown and a moment of curiosity many years ago. Once they'd arrived, Harry had been told to go upstairs right away and the boy made expressed hesitation to do so.

'Come on!' Harry hissed at him and Severus merely glared.

Oh yes, and being your size these steps would be simple for you, Potter! However, in case you are yet to realize...I. AM. A. CAT!

Scowling mentally, Severus jumped the first step and than the next, only to feel as though five more would kill him.

'Oh, bloody hell.' Harry knew he was going to be in a lot of trouble if he didn't quickly get his belongings to safety. He returned to the fourth step where the cat appeared to be staring at it expectantly and without the warning he'd promised, the boy picked up the cat and carried him upstairs.

I hate you, Potter. Although, at least I need not conquer those blasted steps right now.

'Sorry, again...but I couldn't wait.' Harry said hurriedly as he flipped open his trunk with a sense of urgency that actually worried Severus for a moment. What was going on?

He watched curiously as the boy lifted a floorboard beside his bed and shoved a few items inside, such as his cloak and wand, as well as a few books and a couple of other items that were concealed before Severus even had the chance to figure out what they were.

Slamming his trunk shut, Harry backed away from it and exhaled with solid relief. A second later, Severus was unceremoniously startled by the bedroom door that gushed open and nearly turned him 2D; it would have had he been only three inches closer to the door.

Bloody muggles!

Vernon looked angry and being a cat, Severus could sense the man's elevated fear. But of what?

'Give it, boy!' Vernon reached for the trunk and dragged it out of the room. Listening carefully, Severus heard it going down the stairs and than there was the sound of many locks being secured.

What's that about? Wasn't the boy allowed his own things? No doubt he'd caused trouble before, it's probably just an extra measure to make sure no trouble comes to their nephew from the Ministry. I guess they don't know about the floorboards, since the boy still has his wand. Just like Potter, always breaking the rules when they're there for his own bloody safety!

'Okay, so you need a name.' Harry seemed to have taken the loss of his things personally, judging by his frown, but had clearly expected it and made no effort to stop his uncle from taking them away.

I do not. Don't get any ideas! I'm perfectly fine with being referred to as “cat” for all I care.

'Well, you're black.' Harry stared at the creature that appeared to be glaring back, although that was impossible. 'I don't want to give you something typical, like “Midnight”, “Shadow” or, ”Smokey”. They sound a bit stupid, really.'

Thank Merlin. I may let you live yet.

'I know!' Harry grinned. 'I read a story about a wizard named Barterly Brennegan who had a cat a lot like you.'

What? The famous Potions Master of the 1700's? What would you know of him?

'Anyway, his cat had magical powers and would stay by Brennegan's side no matter where he went, and since you need a name and this one fits...I think I'll call you Seven. Since it's also a magical number, according to Hermione.'

Seven? Well, I can live with that, I suppose.

'What do you think?' Harry thought it was stupid to ask the cat because even if it could understand him, that didn't mean the creature could really comprehend his words. And yet, to his utter amazement, the cat nodded its head and appeared to relax a little.

'C-Can you really understand me?' Harry whispered as he slid off his bed and eyed the cat in front of him with awe. Again, it nodded.

'Whoa.' He grinned. 'This is wicked.'

Yes, enthralling. Severus mentally rolled his eyes sarcastically.

'Okay, Seven.' Harry nodded. 'You have a name. Now, where would you like to sleep?' In response, the cat jumped onto the bed as Severus had no intention of living like an animal just because he was transfigured into one; the floor seemed terribly uncomfortable.

'Alright, that's fine.' Harry relaxed as he had hoped the cat would want to sleep with him anyway. As much as he already missed Hedwig, he had to admit that having a pet in which he could keep close for company and that could give him actual responses made him far less lonely than he had ever felt with or without his owl.

'Boy, dinner!' Vernon called for Harry to make their dinner right away. Severus misunderstood this to indicate that the boy would be pampered by his relatives with a “welcome home” feast.

'Coming!'Harry called back and sighed. 'Alright, Sev...I suppose you've really got to stay with me then.' He turned and left the room, leaving the door open so that Severus could follow.

However, the black cat did not move.

What did you just call me?

Severus could not move and his mind felt numb at that familiar and painful nickname. Sev. Just like Lily used to call him. Suddenly he hated the name “Seven” a great deal more. Swallowing nervously,

Severus rushed forward after the boy and was glad that Potter was already in the kitchen because he had forgotten about the stairs and ended up sliding right down to the bottom. Laying sprawled on the floor for a moment, Severus mutely hissed and trailed after the brat; at least he couldn't be hurt and he didn't have to climb all the way down the bloody things.

Halting in the doorway, Severus saw the family sitting at the table while Harry was the one moving about the kitchen. Petunia glared repulsively at the idea of a cat being anywhere near her kitchen but said nothing as her angered focus rested upon Harry.

'And don't you dare burn anything.' She scowled.

'Yes, Aunt Petunia.' Harry sighed.

'Hey, Sev.' He looked down at the cat who was slowly and cautiously joining his side again. 'I was told you're safe from anything dangerous but please try not to get in my way, okay?'

'Hurry up, boy!' Vernon scowled.

'Yes, Uncle Vernon.' Harry replied as he bit back an annoyed sigh.

Severus moved and sat in a corner where he could watch Harry with shock and worry. The family were watching TV and laughing amongst themselves while the nephew they hadn't seen for a long time was rushing about in the kitchen to make their dinner. And it appeared as though there were only three plates on the counter in which were to be filled with food. Severus felt a chill shoot down his spine as he realized that something simply wasn't quite right here.

And suddenly, his job just got a whole lot more complicated.

Chapter End Notes:
Please review. And suggestions are welcome!