Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

A Cold Night in July

The gentle sound of rain against the window woke Harry from his slumber the following morning.

Harry sat upright in his bed and reached for his glasses to place them over his face. He paused and wondered how they had ended up there, because Harry was sure that he had forgotten to take them off the night before. It would have been such a simple gesture that aimed to make him more comfortable, as well as safe his glasses from possible harm so he could always see, and yet no one in the Dursley household would have done such a thing for him.

Looking over towards the black cat who was stilling by the window and staring our at the rain, Harry shook his head and decided that he must have taken his own glasses off but didn't remember. There is no way the cat could have done it, right? Sighing at that thought, Harry got out of bed and dressed into the usual baggy clothes that he hated. Walking to the desk in his room, he sat in the seat and planned to stay there until his aunt would shout for him to get up and make breakfast.

'Good morning, Sev.' Harry greeted his feline companion with a smile. 'Did you sleep well?' He asked.

The animals shook his head and turned his gaze away from the boy to glare at the rain outside. Moving from his desk seat to stand where the cat was seated near the window, Harry looked outside at the wet grounds and scenery of Privet Drive. He understood what the cat might have meant.

'Yeah. I can't sleep through the rain either.' Harry replied. 'I don't know why. It's not loud or anything, but I just can't properly sleep through it.'

Neither could Lily. And because of that...neither can I.

Severus sighed as he glanced towards the door as he had heard footsteps and saw a brief shadow under the small space that separated wood from carpet. He frowned when Petunia's screech was heard from the other side of the wooden door. He crouched and prepared to jump from the desk and make his way to the floor, yet was not given the chance. Severus mentally yelped at the sudden action hindering his plans of independence when Harry scooped him up and carried him downstairs to the kitchen.

Severus wasn't sure what he considered to be worse; the fact that Harry hadn't asked his permission to do such a thing, or the way in which Severus was beginning to adapt to it.

-- 

Severus was a little smug to the fact that Vernon and Petunia were clearly avoiding him - no doubt because of the little incident prior involving his feline teeth. However, it seemed to have no affect on Dudley.

'Move, Potter!' Dudley knocked Harry into the kitchen's door-frame with his elbow as he shoved by seconds after Harry had placed the cat on the floor.

Severus glared at the fat boy and looked up at Harry to observe his reaction. He noticed the wince and silence, yet the Gryffindor said nothing and merely walked into the kitchen to make breakfast in accordance to Petunia's instructions.

Walking to sit within close enough distance to the teenage wizard without worrying about the dangers of the kitchen, Severus watched the horrid muggles and felt rather conflicted. He knew Harry wasn't treated very kindly in this household, yet he could not shake off the way Harry had been remorseful that the boy hadn't been able to help his cousin beat up those kids at the park.

Unless Severus had missed something?

'How much longer is that ruddy thing going to be here?' Vernon's growl was directed at Harry as he pointed a sore, fat finger towards the animal.

'Until I go back to school,' Harry answered as he put the plates of food in front of his family.

He returned to the kitchen to work on the coffee and squeeze orange juice while Severus continued to watch him. Harry didn't look up again until he was spoken to or any words were aimed his way.

'What if we had been allergic?' Petunia added with a scowl. 'I think it should be out in the shed!' She hissed.

To her, all dirty things or something associated with Harry should be locked up out of sight and certainly did not belong inside her house.

'No!' Harry said quickly. 'I mean, it has to stay with me...Dumble-that's what I was told and they'd know if the cat isn't with me.'

Why did you change your words? Surely they would know who Dumbledore is? Or perhaps...much like my own childhood, there is to be no mention of such magical truths here?

Severus glanced at Petunia and realised he was right; the woman eyed Harry with a pale face and appeared ready to hand out punishments if he said a “bad” word. Harry had clearly adapted to talking about Hogwarts and his professors without actually mentioning anything about the magic or something muggles would consider “abnormal”.

As though no one had spoken, Vernon turned to converse casually with his wife and son. 'Oh, and Marge is coming to visit in a few weeks.' He said.

Severus hardly cared for who that “Marge” person was except that he sensed a great unease in Harry. The boy was speeding up his tasks as though the woman's name alone made him want to flee.

'May I go for a walk?' Harry asked nervously.

The Dursleys looked at him oddly and every one of them were about to argue and protest, until they looked down at the cat and Petunia nodded with a sour expression.

'Take that thing with you.' She snarled.

As though he had been given a new broomstick, Harry's eyes lit up and he nodded as he turned and rushed from the house with the cat hurrying along behind him. Severus had seen the muggles smirk towards the window before giving permission and knew why once he stepped outside and cringed.

It was still raining, possibly harder than it had been when the Gryffindor had woken.

Standing on the doorstep, Harry lifted a hood over his face and looked down at his cat before he quickly picked it up. The Gryffindor unzipped his jacket and placed the cat against his chest. Harry zipped it up again in an attempt to keep the creature warm and mostly dry.

As Harry looked around the wet street, he turned and headed for the small park in the distance. Severus was not amused and was sorely tempted to magic himself back into his human self just to be rid of this boy and the infernal rain!

-- 

Halfway to the park, Harry passed under a bridge that was more like an alley with the graffiti, litter and length. He paused at the other end and did not leave the sheltered area as he let the cat out of his jacket and sank slowly against the side wall. Hanging his head, Harry sighed and looked quite miserable.

'I hate Marge.' Harry said to Severus. The cat was sitting nearby and watching him carefully, though the teenager barely noticed.

'She's Uncle Vernon's horrible sister and they make her call her “aunt” even though she's not related to me, thankfully.' Harry said.

Severus had to move closer to hear the boy over the rain and wished they were back in the boy's room rather than where they were.

'She brings her bulldog Ripper who chases me and...' Harry gulped and looked over at his small friend who could not answer him. 'With you there, it's going to be worst...I hope I can keep you safe.'

You're going to keep ME safe, Potter? What in the name of Merlin has this world come to?

'But...' Harry inhaled and let his hair fall over his eyebrows for a moment before he moved a hand to brush it away. 'She always says mean things about my parents.' He sighed sadly.

'I know it's going to be bad...and I don't think I can't fight back this time. Normally they just lock me up in the cupboard like usual, but I don't think that's going to work much longer.' He frowned. 'Marge is happiest when she's taking the mickey out of me and my family.'

'You hiding, eh, Potter?' Dudley's voice called out to him from the end of the underpass.

'Sod off, Dudley,' Harry instantly became defiant and stood to his feet with fists clenched at his side. 'And how'd you leave the house? I'd have thought your mum would be keeping her Ickle Diddykins safe from the big, bad rain?' He mocked.

'Shut up!' Dudley scowled as he blushed and called behind him, where three other boys emerged.

Severus instantly tensed at the sight of the four boys that ganged up against one. His mind flashed back to the Marauders. He knew Dudley was a spoiled brat, but a bully? Well, actually he suspected as much with the park comment prior and was glaring at Harry as he half expected the Gryffindor to join them, even if Severus was certain the cousins didn't get along at all.

Harry gulped and grabbed the cat to conceal it inside his jacket again. He stepped backwards and glanced to see that the rain had stopped even if the sun was still concealed behind the darkened clouds.

'Fancy a game of “Harry Hunting”, boys?' Dudley laughed. The other teenagers nodded their heads while hitting their fists against their hands.

Wasting not another moment, Harry turned and bolted in the only direction he could – towards the park and nearby fields of dry grass. But it was much harder to escape, as he ran over splashing mud puddles and slippery rocks, while clutching tightly to the cat he had with him.

With the boys shouting behind him, Harry spurred onwards and ignored how his clothes were wet and muddy while his glasses weren't much better. Why hadn't he stayed in the house? What was he going to do with the cat if they caught him? Where could they hide?

Slipping, he managed to manoeuvre enough so that when he fell, Harry landed on his back instead of squishing the cat. The creature instantly jumped out of Harry's jacket and mutely hissed nearby, flicking his black tail with irritation.

'Get him!' Dudley called out.

The other boys had reached the fleeing pair and looked really angry at Harry for being faster than them or simply for not just standing still.

Harry covered his face with his hands and braced himself for the impact but the punches never came. As he opened his eyes and peeked over his arms, Harry saw that the four boys were backing away from the black cat that was glaring at them with sharp teeth and a truly intimidating expression.

'It's just a cat – kick it!' One boy yelled.

Dudley knew better and remained at the back of the group, not wanting to provoke the creature further.

No one moved as they stared anxiously at the cat and the small but dangerous-looking creature glared back. Droplets of rain came down upon them again and the boys decided it was best to leave.

As they scurried off, Harry rose a little into sitting position, feeling relieved that he had gotten so lucky. He watched as the cat turned and jumped onto his chest, wondering what it was trying to do. It raised a small, back paw to wipe the glasses clean enough for the boy to stare back with his wide, emerald eyes.

Look at me, boy!

Severus flexed his ears and stared into Harry's eyes, seeing the mental image of the same emerald-eyed boy at seven years old rushing in front of a younger boy who was about to be a victim of Dudley's gang. Harry took the beating instead as he stressed for the other child to run away.

Severus saw other flickers of memories quite the same and a sad realisation dawned on him as he remembered Harry's words: “I should've done it. If I'd gone to the park, then maybe I could've helped. Dudley's probably still beating up those kids right now.”

Looking up at the sky and tearing his gaze from the cat’s, Harry sighed and struggled to his feet. He was sore from landing on his back against the muddy stones and winced against the terrible cold. He reached for the cat but the creature moved away and was determined to walk on its own.

'It's all muddy.' Harry insisted. 'Please?'

Severus didn't trust Harry but saw the pleading gaze and wondered why it was so important to the boy just to carry him. Rolling his eyes, Severus nodded his head as he didn't actually want to walk all that way through the mud.

-- 

They were almost back at Privet Drive when Severus realised that he wasn't just being carried, the boy was rather clinging to him...almost hugging him close. He cringed at the thought and considered it rather pathetic that the Gryffindor would become so attached to a mere cat after such a short time.

Even if that cat had just saved him from a group of bullies.

'He set the cat on us!' Dudley was whimpering to his mother as Harry stepped inside the house and tried to dry his shoes the best he could.

'I did not.' Harry said instantly.

He went to put the cat on the floor but Petunia's shriek stopped him. She ordered him not to move and rushed from the room. She returned with three old, tattered towels and a garbage bag. Severus watched as she never said a word to the boy yet Harry knew to put his shoes, socks and jacket into the garbage bag. He wrapped the struggling cat in one of the towels and hurried upstairs to his room before his aunt could remember what Dudley had lied to her about.

'Stupid Dudley!' Harry kicked his bedroom door shut as he walked into the room. 'He's always getting me into trouble! It's Dudley here and Malfoy at Hogwarts.' Harry changed his clothes quickly and used one of the towels to dry his hair and remove some of the mud.

Given the circumstances, Severus wondered why Petunia hadn't simply ordered him to shower, since it would be more effective, surely.

'At least I have friends at Hogwarts.' Harry said sadly, sinking onto the side of his bed as he looked into the distance. He glance at the cat and smiled, thinking he did have one friend here even if it was a non-talking feline.

'Come here.' Harry said and reached for the towel he had carried the cat upstairs in.

With a mute hiss, Severus tried to avoid him but the Gryffindor was unsettlingly fast when he needed to be. The towel was itchy even as Harry tried to be gentle, yet Severus just sat there and glared at the boy the best he could the entire time. Shuddering, he jumped back to the floor and walked away from the offensive teenager that kept treating him like some sort of animal, convinced that he could have dried himself without the boy's interference and insult to his dignity.

 


 

Later that same night, the rain had stopped for a while yet Severus was over at the window again, looking out at the darkness below. He glanced into the reflection to see that Harry was busy crossing off a day on a handmade calender that sat above his bed, all leading to to a circled “September 1st”.

Severus remember doing the exact same thing many years ago, though he suspected it wasn't entirely uncommon.

Petunia hadn't called Harry down to make dinner, in fact the entire existence of the meal was ignored entirely by the boy who also wasn't given anything to eat. Severus heard Harry's stomach growl a moment ago, so he knew the boy was hungry but probably didn't want to risk going downstairs to ask for something to eat.

'Do you have a family, Sev?' Harry asked the cat, who had finally decided to rejoin him on the bed again. When the creature shook his head, Harry felt sad for it as well.'Oh. Me neither. I mean, I live here with my aunt and all, but they're not really family.' He sighed and pulled out his photo album again.

'I wish mum or dad were here.' Harry whispered, tracing the outline of a family picture with his finger.

Shivering from the cold, he put the album back into hiding in his floorboards before he lay under his thin sheets. Curled up on his side and facing the wall, Harry shivered again and fell silent apart from the chattering of his teeth.

Feeling sympathetic, Severus moved closer and allowed the boy to not “cuddle” him but hold him close so they could share body warmth. There was something about this bedroom that made it feel colder than the rest of the house, and the pathetic amount of blankets the child had likely didn't help.

Without a warm shower to wash away the temperature-decreasing mud and water, Severus was not surprised that the Gryffindor was pale and shivering.

-- 

After four hours of staying like that, Harry finally fell asleep long after the rest of the house members had tucked themselves into the warm, soft beds.

Severus could not sleep because he was actively thinking about the new perspective he had gained regarding Harry Potter and he did not like it at all. Once he had been nothing more than a spoiled Potter clone, and now...

'No...' Harry groaned as he flinched in his sleep, pulling Severus from his thoughts. 'Mummy...'

Severus swallowed and looked at the boy lying so close to him. Potter would have turned three shades of embarrassed red if he ever knew he'd whispered “mummy” in the presence of Professor Snape, and normally such a thing would amuse said man.

However, it instead made Severus dreadfully sad that the orphaned boy missed his mother. Lily. It was an interesting fact though, that during a cold night Harry would talk in his sleep. Another thing he got from the emerald-eyed, redhead woman he was currently missing yet never got to really know.

You are her son, more than just by blood and by inheriting her eyes, after all. However small and otherwise unnoticed, the traits are there.

'Properties of moonstone...bezoar...hide the dragon...' Harry mumbled as he rolled onto his back, not quite as freezing as was before he had fallen asleep.

And he dreams of potions...wait, what did he say?

Severus glared at the sleeping twelve-year-old and hoped that it had only been dream that caused such a phrase. Recalling that the boy was friends with Hagrid, Severus tried hard not to ponder on what a first year might have to do with a dragon and the act of concealing such a creature.

'Snape...' Harry's words were almost muffled by his pillow now. 'I dunno know, sir....'

It is going to be a long night, Potter. What further torture must I endure in this retched household? I almost wish Black would show up so I can be finished with the pair of you!

 


 

It was still at least half an hour before sunrise and the rain clouds had drifted away entirely. The house at Privet Drive Number Four was quiet and still as the light began to fill the corridors and rooms enough to allow the only awake member to seen clearly.

Severus had left Harry's room, using a little magic to open the door, and wandered cautiously about the house, trying to find more clues about the boy and his life.

The house was unnaturally clean and not a single piece of evidence showed anywhere that more than one boy lived in that household. In addition to none of Harry, there were also no photographs of Lily or Petunia's parents either. Harry's aunt appeared to have erased that entire part of her own family tree. The boy really knew so little about his own mother.

He still didn't like the brat, but Severus was beginning to understand him a little more as his judgements were altered. 

Chapter End Notes:
Not too pleased with this chapter but an update was due. Please review!