Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 11

Molly Weasley greeted Draco cordially and then greeted Harry. "I'm so glad you're back, dear. We have a wonderful surprise today."

Harry curled his arm around Draco's as he spotted Sarah. She was sitting In his desk!

Ignoring Miss Molly, Harry tugged on Draco's sleeve so the tall, young man would lean down. When he did, he whispered sharply, "I wanna go home."

Draco dropped down to eye level on one knee. When Harry kept his gaze on the little demoness, he nudged the boy's chin until he was looking at him. "I'm not going to let her bully you, Harry." Draco's lips thinned in restrained anger at the tear he saw sliding unwillingly down his little brother's cheek.

Harry's gaze was locked back upon Sarah who was now staring intently back at him.

"Harry. Hey. Look at me, little brother." Harry's gaze reluctantly dropped to Draco's. "I know I told you I'd stay only a half hour, but I will stay all day, if you need me to."

Harry blinked back the other tears that threatened and flashed Draco an admiring smile. "Will you really?"

Draco smiled and rose to his feet. "You know I will, Snapelet. I'll sit at the back, all right? I can see everything from there."

"Sarah's sitting at my desk," Harry hesitated.

"Just tell her to move. Be brave, Harry. I'll be right behind you." Draco then gently nudged Harry to the front of the one room classroom with a hand between Harry's shoulder blades.

Walking like a doomed, Azkaban prisoner, Harry made his way to the front of the class where his friends, and the demon-girl were waiting. Sarah watched him approach, never taking her eyes off him..

"Th-that's my desk," Harry said quietly.

"I know." Sarah slid out of the desk and stood up. Her arms were crossed over her thin chest. "Who's he?" She indicated the wizard standing at the back of the room.

As if she appeared out of thin air, Molly was beside Sarah and placed a hand on the child's shoulder.

"That is Harry's big brother and one of our guests today, Draco Malfoy." Molly nodded to Draco and he briefly inclined his head to the older witch. Molly then turned her attention on her granddaughter. "Now, Sarah, before we begin class today, do you recall what we talked about?"

Harry noted a quick, fluttering hesitation of one of Sarah's hands down by her hip. He tried not to smile as he knew, all too well, what that meant! Sarah had been spanked!

Sarah swallowed, looked over Harry's head for a bit, then around the classroom, until Molly nudged her sharply. Sarah coughed. "Uhm... Harry... I wasn't real nice to you the other day..."

"Dad said you were being a right nasty bully!" interjected her twin, Jared. Sarah spared him a glancing glare and then returned her attention to Harry.

Flashback: The day Harry stayed home, late afternoon

Percy had welcomed both parents input in regards to dealing with his daughter's unfortunate habit of pushing other children around. He had then explained to Arthur and Molly what he knew of the twins history, and what he felt had caused Sarah to be the way she was.

Sarah and Jared had been orphans for a year before being brought in by the Wizarding Childrens Services. Sarah, at the very tender age of six, had played mother to her brother, and three other children, two that were five and one that was four. Hiding, stealing food, and whatever else they needed, Sarah had to push in order to make sure her children were safe at night.

Sarah did keep her little family safe until they were all caught by the well-meaning WCS. Sarah's survival instinct had gone from nurturer to bully almost overnight.

By the end of the recitation, soft-hearted Molly was in tears and Arthur had an arm around his wife, doing what he could to comfort her.

Molly sniffled, blew her nose and then glared at Percy. Percy, not entirely sure what he'd done now, leaned back firmly against his chair. "When you adopted those two children, Percy, you took on a great responsibility beyond just loving them, feeding and clothing them. It is up to you to look to their emotional and mental health as well."

Arthur spoke while Molly took a breath and wiped her eyes. "Being a loving parent, Perce, means that there are going to be times when you can't always play Catch the Snitch, or Exploding Snap. It's your job to lay down the rules, and to enforce them."

Percy had gone home that night with a great deal to consider, and a daughter to confront. It had been painful (for father and daughter) but also productive. At least that is what Percy hoped. Only time would tell.

The Present - Little Red Schoolhouse

Sarah had crossed her arms in a defiant attitude as she prepared her apology to Harry. Molly tapped her shoulder in a sign to relax, and she did so. "I was just..." Sarah's eyes looked into Harry's and her heart swelled with the jealousy that dwelled within from the moment she'd first met him at Christmas at the Burrow. There really was no sense for it, but she had noticed, the moment she had arrived with her brother and her father, that Harry was the one in charge. Unwilling to be a follower, she'd tried to change that, but had failed. Miserably.

"I didn't mean to hurt you, Harry, or anyone else. I'm sorry." She fidgeted as Harry seemed to consider her words carefully.

Harry did appreciate the apology, which really did sound sincere. And, if anyone asked, he really wanted to snicker at the fact that he knew Sarah had gotten spanked.

"You won't be mean anymore?" Harry demanded.

Sarah nodded, and then vocalised, "I'll try real hard not to, okay?"

Harry then smiled brightly. "Okay!"

And with that short phrase, the war between Harry and Sarah ended. Molly ushered everyone to their desks while Draco bent over to whisper in his little brother's ear.

"Is everything going to be all right, Snapelet?" he asked.

Harry shifted so he was halfway turned to better face Draco. He gave his big brother a thankful smile. "I think so, Draco."

Draco ruffled Harry's hair as he straightened. "Owl me tonight, then, and tell me how everything went, all right?"

"I will."

Draco then made a swift farewell, giving Molly a quick wave and then vanished into the Floo.


Lucius Malfoy sat near one of the living room windows, glaring at the tea he was swirling in the porcelain cup. In front of the fire was Severus. At his feet was a drying stain of tea, and shards of porcelain that had been his cup. His arms were crossed tightly over his chest, and his face was set in inscrutable stone.

Their first session of talking over their mutual past, had not gone well, at all.

With great care, since he was very tempted to send the cup to its companion on the floor at his friend's feet, Lucius placed the cup of untouched tea upon a nearby table.

"Perhaps we ought to stay away from the breakables," Lucius ventured in an attempt to break the stone that was currently Severus Snape.

Severus expelled a sharp breath and finally relaxed. However, he said nothing but stared, now, into the flames of the fire. It was then he noticed the broken cup, and the tea staining the carpet. A quick flourish with his wand and the stain was gone, the cup repaired.

"I do believe your brooding has gotten worse since our school days, Severus. I had some hope that your lovely wife would have tempered that habit," observed Lucius. He moved from the window seat and over to the couch, deeming it somewhat safe to now lessen the distance between himself and the younger man.

Severus glared at Lucius. That cool, rather patrician air that the man had when they were younger, had returned. It irritated the Potions Master. "You could at least look like this bothers you, Lucius."

Lucius flushed, but smiled. "It does bother me, my friend."

"At least you're no longer wearing those custom made silk shirts with diamond buttons," muttered Severus with an edge.

Lucius looked down at the fitted, flannel shirt he wore that was a solid color of forest green. "I do remember those. Unseasonably hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. I prefer cotton these days."

"Had you ever thought I had any fashion sense, you would have known that much earlier."

Lucius' eyes widened. "Black is not fashion, Severus. It is a color and one you're rather..."

"That is an old insult and need not be repeated." Severus threaded his fingers through his hair and then slapped his hands to the arms of the chair. "Dobby!"

"What can Dobby do for Sir?" the elf popped in and asked politely.

"Irish coffee," ordered Severus, "and be generous with the Irish."

The elf vanished and neither wizard spoke until they had the whiskey laced coffee in their hands. After several, delicate sip, Lucius spoke.

"Is this necessary, Severus? This... exposing of our pasts with the Dark Lord? I feel as though I'm deliberately picking at a scab." He grimaced in distaste.

"Voldemort," Severus corrected firmly. "I hate to admit it, but perhaps this is rather more emotional than I expected it would be." He gave the older man a withering glance. "Your composure in the face of when we each took the Dark Mark is annoying."

Lucius closed his eyes as the pain of the night, kneeling before Voldemort and his father, threatened to overwhelm him. The memories of his son and his present life washed over him, soothing that old pain. He opened his eyes. "I was taught from the time I could walk to hide pain."

Severus sighed, "As was I." He shifted and finished his coffee, welcoming the whiskey undertones.

Lucius sipped at his coffee for several minutes and then tentatively asked, "Have you spoken of your past at all to Echo?"

"I had hoped to never speak of those days to my wife, however, I do have a nightmare now and then," he admitted uneasily. "That is when Echo and I talk about those years." He sighed heavily. "I worry, at times, that I may wind up giving her nightmares."

The Floo whooshed unexpectedly, interrupting the two men. The head of the owner of the circus, Journey Leeds appeared.

Lucius tensed and leaned forward, "Journey?" An unasked question hung in the air.

For the moment Journey ignored Lucius, "Mr. Snape, have you any poison antidotes and Blood Replenisher on hand?"

Severus rose, smoothly and business-like from his chair. "Adult, child, or toddler?" He demanded. Just as he turned to go to his lab, he saw the ashen look of fear on Lucius' face. The same look Lucius had had years ago when he realised the Dark Lord's plans for his infant son.

Journey's eyes looked to Lucius as she replied, "Sophie's just turned four. Please hurry. Call for the big tent. We've set up a Faux Floo there." Her head vanished and the green flames died.

Severus didn't go to his lab, but began summoning the potions requested and others he might need. The phials and bottles came flying and he caught them with the expert hand of a Quidditch Seeker. Then he summoned his cloak and Lucius' and threw Floo powder into the orange flames. "Flitwick Field, Big Tent!"


Molly Weasley smiled brightly at the seven children that sat in their desks, hands folded politely after they just finished their morning sums. They were expecting spelling or penmanship next, but Molly's smile was extra bright as it was now time to introduce her students to their guest.

"Class, I have a wonderful treat for all of you today. We have a guest who will be taking over so I want all you to be on your best behavior." Molly waved encouragingly towards the rear of the classroom where their cloaks, and lunch were stored. A nervous sounding grunt and a shuffle came from the back and the students all turned in curiosity. There was no one there.

Molly left the front of the classroom and disappeared into the cloak room. A few seconds later she was practically pushing the half-giant, Hagrid, into the main classroom.

"Hi, Hagrid!" waved Harry cheerfully. The little boy's welcome helped a great deal in alleviating Hagrid's nervousness and he moved more towards the front of the class. Hagrid smiled and returned the wave.

"This is Professor Hagrid from Hogwarts," Molly introduced. "He is the Care of Magical Creatures teacher there and he's brought one of his favourite, magical animals to class for all of you to see." She gave the half-giant a warning frown. Even though she'd spoken to him at length, the witch dearly hoped that Hagrid had not brought one of the more dangerous animals which he thought were as cute and cuddly as all animals were. Molly had heard from Ron about Aragog the giant spider in the Forbidden Forest. She didn't want even a baby of Aragog's in her class.

Hagrid cleared his throat a few times as he finally figured out, in the silence, that Molly had turned her class over to him. He caught Harry's encouraging nod and took a deep, fortifying breath.

"Got somethin' right special fer ya," he grinned as he glanced down at the large, covered cage to his right. He picked it up and Molly used her wand to move one of the circular tables to the center of the class. "Come on, then." He grinned down at Harry who had scooted quickly to a place right next to the large man. "I think ye ought ta really like this, 'Arry."

Hagrid was about to take off the cover when he leaned in towards the children and spoke softly, "Now, this here creature is quite friendly, mind ye, but he's no likin' for loud noises an' such. Have I got yer word ye'll all be nice?"

Hagrid's quiet request was met by enthusiastic nods as the children leaned eagerly closer. With a nice little flourish, he took off the cover revealing a gilded cage with a flittering occupant.

Within the cage was a small bird about the size of a Snitch. It was a warm, golden color with startlingly gold eyes. It flitted about the cage, nibbled on some birdseed, ruffled its feather, and then gave the children all a sweet twitter, almost as though it were laughing.

"That's a Snidget!" gasped Daniella.

"Where'd you get a Snidget, Professor Hagrid?" asked Andrew.

"That can't be a Snidget," declared Sarah. "They're extinct. Aren't they?" She directed her question at the half-giant.

Hagrid replied, "The Snidget were nearly extinct, but some wizard folk what thought it might be a good idea to keep 'em around, saved tha little birds. Tha' wizardin' world don't have much of an endangered species type act like Muggles do, but we're gettin' better."

"How'd you get the bird, Hagrid?" asked Harry. He caught Miss Molly's eye and he quickly corrected himself, "I mean, Professor Hagrid."

Hagrid pinked at the respect from the little ones. Each year that passed he enjoyed teaching more and more. Molly's request for him to visit with magical animals now and then, were looking to be the highlight of his year. "Gots me a friend at tha Snidget Preserve in Denmark who's lettin' me borrow tha little fellow."

"Does he have a name?" asked Jared as his eyes darted appreciatively after the golden bird.

"Tha' 'e does! 'E's called Murgatroyd."

The eyes of all seven children widened in astonishment. "That's a big name for a tiny bird," observed Mouse. His own name, Hieronymous, gave him fits, sometimes. The other children were nodding in agreement.

Hagrid frowned and stared at the Snidget for a moment. "Yeh don' think he looks like a Murgatroyd?" With the welcome comfort of easygoing laughter, the presentation devolved into questions and requests to let the Snidget fly around the classroom so they could all see how fast he was. Not surprisingly, when Hagrid was finally convinced (which wasn't all that hard) to let the bird out, it was Harry who caught the little golden creature.


Severus and Lucius stepped from the Floo into the center of the big tent at the circus. They were met by Journey Leeds who ushered them to one of the many tents the performers lived in. These were wizarding tents which had more room, and rooms, on the inside than the outside.

The tent they entered was a modest one that showed the influence of a child within the silk covered walls. There were drawings on the wall in the main room in a very child-like hand, and there were dolls, puzzles, and a grey cat amongst the childish detritus. What caught Severus' eye, before they were ushered into a little girl's bedroom, was a large portrait, a Muggle one that didn't move, of a somewhat plain woman with long brown hair, and striking soft brown eyes. Severus was whisked away before he could give the portrait a second look.

In a bedroom swathed with all the trappings of a little girl, in pink, mostly, but also pastel shades of green, and a touch of blue, there lay upon the bed, a nearly pale white child of about four years of age. Soft, very light brown hair, pooled in an almost golden halo about her head. The vision of an angel was a bit disconcerting for Severus. He hardly had time to comprehend that image when Lucius sat down by the girl and scooped her up into his arms.

"Sophie? Sweet girl? Papa's here."

This was a revelation Severus wanted to explore, but not now. "Put her back down on the bed, Lucius," he ordered brusquely. Lucius did not argue, but did as he was told. "Tell me what happened," the Potions Master ordered again, but this time of Journey.

"She was playing too near Nagini's cage..." began Journey.

"WHAT?" Severus roared in shock.

Severus almost dropped his wand, and his color drained from his face instantly. Nagini? Voldemort's familiar? What in the Seven Hells was that snake doing here?

Making a quick decision, he shoved the phials of Blood Replenisher at Lucius. "Give them to her. All of them. I don't have an antidote on hand for this. Massage her chest and do everything to keep her heart beating."

With those orders snapped out, Severus sprinted from the tent and ran at his top speed for the big tent. Anyone hapless enough to be in his way was pushed aside by a silent and wandless spell that sent them tumbling to either the left or the right. Once at the Floo, he went directly into his lab and summoned a potion in a bulbous flask. It sparkled, almost like Floo powder, but was dark green, almost black. Putting it into his cloak, he raced back to the Floo and was once again running across the sawdusted and strawed ground of the circus to Lucius' tent. Pushing Lucius aside without a by-your-leave, he lifted the child and carefully fed her one drop of the potion and then laid her back down.

To Lucius' horror, his little girl whooshed out a great and shuddery breath and then breathed no more.

"You killed my daughter!"