Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 17

With a nearly silent pop, Dobby, Sophie, and Harry appeared in the midst of a very large, open air market. House elfs were everywhere visiting booths and perusing everything from drink, to vegetables, to meats, to nearly anything an elf might need to purchase for a wizarding household.

This was the Elf Market. A huge, sprawling labyrinth of small tents and booths that were also manned by very savvy elfs. Hundreds of house elfs meandered purposefully through the market, as shopkeeper elfs called out the specials on their produce or wares.

Harry and Sophie were both completely stunned by the sight. Neither knew that it was rare for a witch or wizard to come to this market.

Dobby clapped his hands happily before catching Sophie's hand in his. He made sure that Harry was still holding the child's other hand.

"Wow!" Harry finally managed to breathe.

Dobby grinned. "Come, come, Friend Harry! We visit Dobby's cousin first." Dobby led the children through the busy throng of shopping house elfs, but not so quickly that Harry and Sophie couldn't dawdle for a few seconds as they stared at a passing booth or tent.

Dobby's cousin, Abel, was the complete opposite of the excitable, and nearly always cheerful house elf. Abel didn't hunch his shoulders like the majority of house elfs did. He stood straight which made him appear almost five feet tall. Abel had the same green eyes that Dobby did, but there was a calculated, business-like shrewdness, that house elfs tended to be wary of. Like Dobby, Abel was a free elf. He'd been born free, though, and had never questioned once following his father into the family business of working the Elf Market. Most Shop Elfs were free, a fact that most wizards and witches did not know of. That was because a Shop Elf wouldn't be caught within the wizarding world. For them, the Elf Market was their world, and it, and their lives, were separate from the wizarding world.

Dobby gave a cheerful smile at his cousin and trotted over with Harry and Sophie close behind. Abel scowled down at the two children. He sniffed, smelling the magic from one and the faint trace of magic from the other.

Ignoring the supposed slight, Dobby pushed his charges in front of himself and proudly made introductions. "This is Friend Harry Snape and Little Miss Sophie Malfoy. This be Dobby's cousin, Abel."

Harry nodded shyly, and gripped Dobby's hand tighter. Sophie darted behind Harry and in front of Dobby.

"They don't appear to be house elfs," Abel sniffed disdainfully. A cleaver in his hand fell down onto a chopping block and through a large beef bone. The action underscored the shop elf's disdain.

Sophie, who had been peeking out behind Harry, now completely ducked behind him. Harry glared at the shop elf. Dobby crossed his arms over his thin chest and his smile dropped into a warning glower.

"Abel is not to be scaring young witch and wizard," he intoned darkly. "They is good Magicals."

Abel did not answer, but dropped his cleaver heavily onto the beef bone for a second time. When Sophie backed into Dobby, he curled a protective arm around the small girl, and grasped Harry's hand.

"Dobby is NOT bringing wizard business to Abel again. Bad elf!" Dobby trotted his charges away from the butcher's booth. The shop elf Abel didn't give them a second glance as he turned his attention to a new house elf looking to do business.

After several minutes of walking, with Sophie on his right and Harry on his left, Dobby was still muttering under his breath. He was both humiliated and appalled by his shop elf cousin. Abel had never been a congenial sort of elf, but to be so disrespectful towards the children of Dobby's employer and his employer's friend was beyond insult.

"Chocolate, Dobby," Sophie said softly, breaking the house elf's disgruntled mood.

Dobby glanced where Sophie was pointing and his affable smile returned. "Ooooh, Little Miss discovered the best chocolate!" he enthused.

The elf ushered his charges over to a large tent that was gaily decorated with ribbon streamers of all colours. More colour abounded in the variety of candies and chocolates and their gay wrappings. Two, rather rotund shop elfs with wide grins plastered on their faces reminded Harry eerily of the Weasley twins, Fred and George. Currently, the two shop elfs were juggling chocolate oranges between each other. Sophie, Dobby, Harry, and several dozen other house elfs watched in bedazzled, breathless awe, as larger, and less roundly shaped candies were added to the chocolate oranges that soared through the air.

Suddenly, the juggled candy was being directed at the crowd who delightedly caught the flying candies. Dobby encouraged Harry and Sophie to raise their hands and when they did so a red, cinnamon spice lolly neatly found its way to Sophie's hands, and a honey-comb wand found its way into Harry's hands.

The juggled candy, now dispersed amongst the house elfs, and the two children, the two shop elfs gave their attention to their customers. Scoops of Droobles Gum, Droobles Best, Sugar Quills, Leaping Gum Drops, Chocolate Frogs, Treacle Tears, Canary Creams, and more disappeared into multicoloured bags left and right. Finally, it came their turn.

"Greetings, Dobby!" blinked one of the twin shop elfs. His watery blue eyes took in the children. "You brought magicals!" The shop elfs delight at sight of Sophie and Harry couldn't have been more plain.

"Greetings, Izzy!" smiled Dobby as he proudly introduced his two charges. "Little Miss is wanting special chocolate for brother. Friend Harry may wish to purchase something, too."

Izzy lowered himself to Sophie's height so he was not towering over her (although that was only by a foot). "Is Little Miss knowing what she wishes for brother?" he asked gently.

Sophie smiled shyly at Izzy. "I just met my big brother for the first time ever," she explained. "He's pretty, like papa, and he's not a big boy anymore. He's going to be married to 'Mione and she likes books and questions and stuff."

"Ah, so Little Miss is needing special sweet for brother?" Izzy asked. Sophie nodded. Is Little Miss needing anything for her 'Mione?"

Sophie glanced back over her shoulder at Dobby. Making a decision, she turned, took out her coins and showed them to Dobby. "Is that a lot, Dobby?"

Dobby carefully curled Sophie's fingers over the coins. "Is enough, Little Miss. No worries."

Sophie grinned and then turned back to Izzy. "Papa says Draco means 'little dragon'."

Izzy blinked for a moment at the small child, and then his face lit up. Turning slightly, he summoned something from a very tall shelf, nearly completely obscured by the fluttering ribbons. Izzy held the object in both hands. It was a rectangular box of blue and gold with the stylised drawing of a magnificent Blue Opal Dragon on the outside. The drawing of the dragon sinuously circled the box, showing off its richly glittering scales, its dangerous tail, and its beautiful wings. Izzy stroked the top of the box and the animated dragon stopped its movement. He then opened the lid of the box to reveal the very same dragon but crafted in fine milk chocolate.

Sophie's eyes widened in delight and she waved Harry over. He peeked into the box and grinned.

"Wicked!" Harry exclaimed.

Sophie nodded her agreement and then held out her coins. "Is that enough?"

Izzy very carefully did not show the dismay as he looked down upon the three knuts. Dobby stepped closer to Sophie as he scooped the coins from her hand. "Dobby is knowing that is enough, Izzy. Little Miss will have chocolate dragon, yes?" He firmly tucked the coins into the rotund elf's fist.

Izzy opened his hand and smiled as he saw two sickles added to the three knuts. He tucked the coins away, and then with a wave of his hand, the box was neatly wrapped in silver and gold and in Sophie's hands. To his surprise, the child gave the elf a quick one-armed hug and then dashed behind Dobby where she occupied herself studying the pretty gift.

"Now, would young Friend Harry be wishing for some chocolate, too?" asked Izzy as he focused on Harry.

"For my mum," replied Harry. "She's bignant," he declared, using the word he'd coined as being a better word than pregnant. "I mean, she's going to have my little brother or sister soon and she really likes chocolate that has caramel in it. Oh yeah, and Bird Whistles, but dad hates those. Too noisy."

Izzy turned and stared in consternation at his shelves of sweets, until the other shop elf, his twin, Oopsy threw a glittering package in his direction. Izzy caught it, then grinned at what his brother had tossed to him.

"Perfection for the expectant mother," Izzy spoke reverently as he showed the purple and silver elongated package to Harry. Harry's eyes widened and he let out a low "oooooh".

"What is it?" asked the little boy.

"Sublime Chocolate Drops. These happen to be carob, which tends to be gentler on the mother's tummy. Within the carob is a confection of caramel touched very lightly with Stomach Soother Potion."

Dobby clucked his tongue as he dropped his hand over Harry's hand which was stretching towards the package. "Friend Harry has Potions Master as father. Him might not be happy that little boy is giving Mistress Madame potions in sweets."

Izzy leaned back. "Sublime Chocolate Drops is made by a Potions Master. Friend Harry could tell father this information before giving sweets to mother?" He asked, although the question was a strong suggestion.

Dobby tapped his lip and Harry's eyes kept darting between the house elf and the chocolate. "Who be Potions Master?" He finally asked.

Izzy turned the package sideways and then showed Dobby an interesting mark that appeared to be two "S's" crossed by a snake. "Severus Snape," announced Izzy.

"That's my dad!" Harry crowed, a big grin lighting his face.

"Then I would say it is yours, young Friend Harry," Izzy gave Dobby a quick sideways glance who nodded swiftly. Izzy gave the child the chocolate and took his proffered coins. With that, Dobby escorted his charges away from the sweets shop and onto the rest of the shopping.

It was just past noon when the last of the grocery shopping was completed. Most of the packages had either been shrunk down, or in the case of the more perishables, sent magically on to Fairwinds. Both Harry and Sophie were very hungry, and Sophie would likely be needing a nap soon. Dobby led his charges to a large, brick edifice with a shiny, aluminum roof that was lined with chimneys. Coming from the chimneys, and filling the Elf Market in all directions were the wonderful smells of elf cooking.

Dobby led the two children inside to a large, rustic, room that bore a great resemblance to the Great Hall at Hogwarts, but without the enchanted ceiling. The chairs and tables were unfinished looking, but were smooth, and didn't give any of the patrons slivers. Many of the tables were occupied by house elfs that were chatting animatedly and eating their own meals.

At their table, both Harry and Sophie needed a Booster Seat Charm to bring them up to the proper height of the table. Once they were settled, Dobby waved an elf over who took their orders. The house elf scolded lightly when pumpkin juice was ordered by both children.

"Master Sir does not allow pumpkin juice at lunch, Friend Harry," reminded Dobby.

"But it's a special day, Dobby," pleaded Harry, while their small waiter smirked pleasantly. Sophie nodded her agreement emphatically.

"Special day," the waiter nudged verbally at Dobby.

Dobby sighed, then smiled. "Special day. But, one glass!"

Sophie clapped her hands and Harry finished his order, grinning widely.

Their orders soon popped into being on their table and they all dug in hungrily. Sophie had a toasted cheese sandwich and mixed, sliced fruit, while Harry had a large, ham sandwich. Dobby had ordered the little boy some fruit, too, and although Harry had scowled at the elf, he was now enjoying the fruit. Dobby had soup and a salad and between bites he watched his two charges. After several minutes, a wistful look crossed his face before turning into a wide, carefree smile.


After lunch, the three adventurers returned to Fairwinds. Sophie was a touch cranky, but the moment Lucius picked her up in his arms, she fell asleep with her head tucked against his shoulder. He retreated upstairs to put his daughter to bed.

Dobby had oddly vanished from the sight of his magical family, but Harry was so intent in telling his mother and father all about the Elf Market, that Severus didn't have time to wonder about the house elf.

Harry sat between Echo and Severus as he regaled them with intricate descriptions of the Elf Market and the Shop Elfs.

"Dobby's cousin didn't like us," frowned Harry. "He had this look like something was stuffed up his nose."

"There are some Shop Elfs who do not like wizard kind or Muggles, Harry. They prefer to remain hidden from all humans," explained Severus.

"But Izzy and Oopsy weren't like that," smiled Harry. "I really liked them. They're twins like Fred and George and they have the best sweets shop in the world." Harry suddenly stood up as he remembered his gift for his mother. He pulled out the shrunken package that was a small bag frilled with a profusion of ribbons. He held the package out to his father. "Dad?"

Severus took out his wand, "Engorgio!"

The package swelled to full size and Harry shyly presented it to his mother. Echo dug through all the ribbons and pulled out the elongated box that shimmered with the name of the candy, Sublime Chocolate Drops. Echo smiled brightly, and Severus eyed his son curiously.

"Izzy said those are just right for big.. uhm pregnant mums because it'll make your tummy feel good." Harry pointed to the small symbol in silver at one end of the box. "See that?"

"I do, Harry." Echo knew the symbol that her husband used as a signature for all his potions, so she knew that the chocolate contained some potion that Severus had brewed. She kept silent, allowing her son to educate her.

"That's a symbol of a Potions Master, see? And, Izzy said it's dad!" Harry looked proudly at his father and Severus couldn't help but colour slightly under that gaze. "So, it's okay for you, right, dad?"

Severus nodded. "That is correct, Harry."

Echo smiled, "I didn't know you had any elfs as clients, Severus."

"Izzy and Oopsy are friends of Dobby's," Severus replied. "They'd been considering a line of sweets, mostly for children, that had low doses of Cough Relief Potion, Throat Soother, Sniffle Remedy, and Fever Reducer." He draped an arm over his son's shoulder. "Harry, you recall all the work we've been doing in trying to flavor potions for children?"

"Yeah, but we didn't succeed, yet."

"True, and I'm certain we shall, but we were able to infuse minor derivatives of childrens remedies for some of the sweet candies that the elf twins offered. It's been quite successful, too. Several apothecaries are carrying their sweets now." His slim finger tapped the box of chocolates that Echo had opened. "I understand that this one is a favourite of mothers with children that over-indulge on food."

Echo paused with a drop to her lips as she caught her husband's teasing glance. With a moue of her lips, she popped the chocolate into her mouth, savored the flavor, and then turned to Severus. "This in no way releases you from finding tacos for me. Taco Bell tacos."

Severus groaned and slumped against the back of the couch. That particular craving was going to involve the purchase of a portkey to America. After all, he was certain there were no Taco Bells in Britain.

Harry yawned deeply and Severus moved swiftly, catching his son up into his arms. "I think someone might need a short nap."

Harry was going to protest, but a second yawn prevented him from saying anything. Shrugging his shoulders, he just nodded, and lay his head against his father's neck. Severus patted his son's back, and chuckled very softly as he took his son up the stairs.


The weekend was nearly over and Harry would be back at primary, and Severus and Lucius would be back to work. Today, however, there was no brewing to be done as all, Severus, Harry, Lucius, and Sophie, would be in attendance. Along with Echo, they sat in The Book Worm waiting for the arrival of Hermione and Draco. Echo tried to sit, but this was her grand opening, and she couldn't sit still when the need to dust at invisible dust hit her every five minutes.

Finally Draco and Hermione arrived, just before the official opening of the book shop. Echo hugged Hermione tightly, and the young witch smiled and patted Echo's back.

Sophie ran up to her brother and shoved the wrapped chocolate from the Elf Market at him. "I bought it with my own monies at the Elf Market yesterday."

Draco knelt down and opened the package and marveled at the gilded box with the blue dragon that swept sinuously around it. He kissed Sophie's forehead. "This is great, Soph. If you don't mind, I'm going to save this for dessert today."

"S'okay." Sophie slipped her hand into Draco's as he stood.

Lucius smiled at his son. "I hope that your young lady has given you a turn or two in a kitchen, Dragon."

Draco looked worriedly at his father. "Why do you say so, dad?" Draco had gotten more used to calling his father 'dad' as it seemed that Lucius preferred that less formal address.

Lucius nudged his son by his upper arm over to the cafe area in the corner of the shop. "We're in charge of tea and coffee."

Draco's jaw dropped. "What? No! I didn't think we were doing anything... I mean..." He glanced down in distaste at the white apron emblazoned with the shop logo on the front of it, that Lucius had deftly tied around him. "Look, dad, I'm pants in the kitchen. I mean, Hermione will tell you so. I burn toast. I..."

Lucius chuckled, "You'll follow my lead, son. Let's get started."

The doors opened and as people began to filter in curiously, Draco discovered he wasn't half bad at brewing coffee and tea the non-magical way. They did serve the small cups to the patrons with the use of several spells, but as both Hermione and Echo had insisted, the beverages were brewed the old way.

Hermione manned the checkout counter while Echo and Harry and Sophie watched over and assisted in the children's section. Severus had naturally taken over the non-fiction area where all the textbooks on magic were shelved.

At first the trickle was a small one with pockets of absolute quiet in the book shop. Then, just near one of the clock, there was a great, busy throng of people that came into the shop. Most wanted books, but there were a few that simply wanted coffee, or tea, and the wonderful cream puffs that Harry was fond of telling nearly everyone that his mum had made. If he stole one, now and then, neither Lucius nor Draco ratted him out to his father. Consequently, near three of the clock, Harry was darting around the shop like a whirling Dervish hopped up on sugar.

Severus finally caught his animated son and with the boy slung over one shoulder, he strode purposefully to the office at the back of the shop. Harry giggled and waved at everyone that looked at him.

In the office Severus gave his son two drops of a blue tincture that he had created not long after adopting Harry. Having learned the hard way the trouble a sugar high could get a child into, he was not content to wait it out. The tincture negated the effects of the over-abundance of sugar in a child's system just enough that they would soon calm down to normal. The creation had led to a very effective potion that dealt with the increase of insulin in Diabetic witches and wizards. Albus, quite addicted to his sweets, had finally gambled and lost and had been diagnosed some months ago with Diabetes. With his wife, Minerva, keeping a close eye upon his diet, and weekly doses of the adult tincture, Albus was assured another healthy 100 years.

Harry was calming down, but suddenly his face brightened as the office door opened. "Grandpa!" Harry slid like a small snake away from his father and over to the elder wizard who was outrageously resplendent in electric blue robes with equally electric green stripes. It gave Severus an instant migraine and without asking permission, he cast a Colour Modification Spell on the robes, muting them to a sedate, royal blue.

His arms around young Harry, Albus scowled at Severus. Eyebrow raised, the Potions Master quipped, "I see you managed to escape before Minerva had a gander at your clothing, Albus."

"And I see that you're as quick with your wand as always, my boy." Albus picked Harry up showing the strength of the de-aging that had saved his life. Now a good 70+ years, he was much more spry, and stronger that he had been in years.

"I didn't know you'd be coming, grandpa," said Harry as he kissed his grandfather's cheek.

"I couldn't miss this lovely celebration, dear boy. That, and I do believe I'm in need of something interesting to read. Have you any recommendations, Harry?"

Harry clapped his hands then wriggled out of Albus' arms. When his grandfather mentioned reading, that usually meant he was going to get something that he and Harry would both enjoy. Slipping his hand into the older wizard's, the little boy led Dumbledore out of the office and to the children's section. Severus followed until he saw his wife seated on a small child's chair, looking obviously exhausted.

"Tired, Beauty?" he asked softly, as he caressed her hair. Echo leaned back and leaned into her husband's cupped hand. Gently he stroked her cheek. Leaning down after a few minutes, he helped his wife to her feet. "Come along, my dear. I think you're in need of a short nap."

"I think so, too, Sev." With a sigh, and half leaning against her husband, Echo allowed Severus to escort her back to the office where he Transfigured a chair into a chaise. By the time he'd helped Echo onto the chaise, she was already half asleep. Severus draped a knitted blanket over his wife and kissed her forehead. By then, she was deeply asleep with a slight smile on her face.


The grand opening of The Book Worm was a resounding success and at the end of the day everyone was suitably tired. Draco and Hermione said their farewells, while both received sleepy kisses from Sophie. Harry was oblivious to all, dozing upon his also dozing grandfather's lap. While Draco and Hermione left the shop, Severus picked his son off Albus' lap, gently nudging the older wizard awake.

Albus cast a Tempus spell before rising and blanched when he saw the time. "Oh dear me! If I'm any later, Minerva will hang me with the other heads of Hogwarts. He quickly hugged Severus, kissed Echo's cheek and then Disapparated before anyone could say their own farewells.

Lucius was frowning. He had seen the headmaster at his trial, and twice with his wife, Minerva McGonagall. All three times it struck him that the elderly wizard appeared much younger than he should.

"I could swear that Headmaster Dumbledore never had a single red hair as he does now," he muttered.

Severus replied, "During the final battle, Albus was hit with a curse that was slowly eating away at his mind and body. We were able to use the same de-aging potion that Potter had brewed to de-age himself. I just did a few modifications that allowed him to retain his memory and he was de-aged to about 70 possibly 75 years of age."

"Remarkable," Lucius exclaimed softly.

"Severus?" Echo was near the back office. Still carrying his sleeping son, Severus answered his wife's question by meeting her at the door to the back office. Echo pointed at the door that led to the alley. It was open. "I'm sure that was locked."

With a wave of his hand, the door closed and there was a snick as it was locked. Another wave sent up the wards that kept intruders from entering the shop at night. "We were all going in and out of here today. It's quite possible one of us left the door open." He gathered Echo to his side and kissed her cheek. "Home?"

Echo smiled. "Oh yes! Dobby promised us a lovely feast for the end of the day."

Moving to leave through the front door, neither Severus nor Echo caught the flash of greyish white that past by the window in the rear door of the back office.


In the dark of the night, Harry slowly rose from his bed, blinked, and then rubbed his fists into his bleary eyes. With a yawn, they finally opened. He cocked his head to one side as he heard something. Slipping from his bed, he padded quietly to his door, peeked through it, and could barely hear the adults voices from somewhere below. Probably the living room. Looking the other way, further down the hall, he could hear the noise that had awakened him.

Leaving his room, Harry walked as silently as he could until he was standing just outside of Sophie's room. He leaned his ear against the door and could hear very soft whimpering. He carefully opened the door and stepped from the dimly lit hallway into the dark room lit only by a sliver of moonlight that spilled through the partially opened curtain.

Harry could see little Sophie caught in a nightmare, her legs were trying to run, but only served to get tangled up in the bedsheets. Suddenly she let out a keening wail as she screamed for her papa. Harry caught her and she wrapped her arms tightly about him, sobbing incoherently. Harry patted her thin back the way his own father did when he had nightmares.

The partially open door flew open as Lucius ran into his daughter's bedroom. For a brief moment he glanced askance at Harry who was letting Sophie go as she reached for her father.

"Papa! The big snake tried to bite me again!" Sophie cried and then buried her face in her father's shoulder.

Lucius bounced Sophie gently in his arms and patted her back as he spoke assurances to her. "Shush, little one, that evil snake is dead and will never hurt you again. Papa promises." He kissed the little girl's wet cheeks. Glancing down he saw just a brief flash as Harry ran out of the room. He frowned, wondering what was going on.

Minutes later, Harry was back. He held up a cloth to the older man. "Here, Uncle Lucius."

Lucius took the cloth and began wiping gently at his daughter's tears. "Thank you, Harry. Can you tell me what you were doing in here?"

"I heard Sophie crying. Dad always comes to me when I have nightmares. I figured that since I'm going to have a little brother or sister, I need to help, too. Was it all right to help Sophie?"

Securing Sophie in one arm, Lucius ruffled Harry's hair with the other. "I'm most grateful for your concern, my boy. Why don't you let your mum and dad know what happened for me?"

Harry stretched up on his tip-toes and patted Sophie's back. "You won't dream of that snake again, Sophie. Your daddy's here." Harry smiled at Lucius, and then ran down the stairs.


Harry, who'd been told countless numbers of times not to run in the house, and specifically not to run down the stairs, forgot, once again, that warning. He thumped down the hallway, and was darting down the stairs when the droopy leg of his pyjama bottoms caught, for the briefest moment, on the toes of his right foot. Harry's foot missed the next step and with a scream he flew right over the steps...

...and didn't land in a broken heap. He hadn't stopped screaming, though, and so he was completely unaware of what was going on.

"Harry! Stop that noise!" Severus had come from the parlor and slid to a precarious stop, just missing running into his son, suspended four feet above the living room floor.

"His magic!" gasped Echo from right behind her husband.

Harry stopped screaming as his mind began to realise he wasn't in pain from a terrible fall. "Magic?"

In that second that Harry discovered he was floating easily above the living room floor, the magic let him go. Thankfully, Severus was right there, and still very fast as he caught his son before he could hit the floor.

Harry smiled brightly up at his father. "I floated!"

Severus couldn't help but smile as he put his son back on his feet. Harry had had bouts of accidental magic before, but this was the first time that the little boy understood that what had happened had come from inside him.

"You were running on the stairs, weren't you?" Echo asked firmly, although she was pleased, too, at the manifestation of magic.

"But, mum! I floated!" That was really all Harry could focus on, at the moment. He was a real wizard! Just like his dad. He threw his arms around his father's waist. "I'm just like you, dad!"

Severus glanced over his shoulder at his wife, in apology. She chuckled quietly, and shook her head. They both knew that it was futile to get it through to their son that he'd done something wrong. Not when he'd finally understood he was a real wizard.