Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 18

Severus watched as Lucius very carefully added a single drop of liquid ambergris to the potion he was brewing. Once the drop hit the bubbling, grey potion, Lucius slowly let out the breath he'd been holding. He then leaned over and began to hold his breath again.

"It would help if you would breathe, Lucius," Severus spoke softly, a slight tinge of amusement in his voice.

Lucius did breathe, but it was shaky as he watched the grey liquid shimmer from its steel colour to a perfect, transparent, gold. Leaning over, he delicately sniffed the brew and could smell the lyrical fragrance of the perfume he'd just completed. Lucius leaned back and gave a triumphant shout. Severus clapped his friend upon the back and then he lowered the heat, giving the potion time to cool.

"Dobby!" The elf popped into existence.

"Master Sir?"

"Two glasses of fire whiskey, Dobby," ordered Severus. The elf was gone and in a blink he had returned with the requested alcohol.

"Cheers, Lucius," Severus clinked his glass to the other man's.

"Cheers, my friend," Lucius was still smiling.

The two men sat down in the small sitting area in the corner of the lab. "Your magic is there, Lucius. I think what it will need at this point is just practice. Basic spells to begin with, and we'll have duel practice on the weekends."

"I ought to feel rather put out in having to practice firstie spells, but I am too chuffed in the knowledge that my magic is finally back." With a smug smile, he finished his whiskey. "I believe we have time today, perhaps we could go to Ollivander's?"

The corner of Severus' mouth lifted in a faint, half-smile as he noted the older wizard's phrase lilting upward with finely restrained hope. Casually he answered, "Harry has a couple of hours left at Primary, so I suppose... I don't believe there are any orders waiting..." A brief, stricken look flashed over Lucius' face but was gone as soon as he could reconcile his reaction into that of one of cool indifference. "Well, I would like to visit and I'm sure you'd like to see what your daughter is up to at the bookshop..." as the Potions Master rose, he went over to his desk and consulted a quick schedule that he kept handy. "We'll have time to pick up Harry after our errands."

Lucius chuckled and Severus shot the older man a puzzled glare. "What do you find so funny, Lucius?"

"You, my friend. Such a dour, dark thing you were in school, and rather frightening as an adult. I find it... refreshing to see you as a family man. It suits you, Severus."

With a nod of acceptance at the slightly askew compliment, Severus picked up his glass, raised it towards Lucius, and then finished the whiskey.


Ollivander's Wand shop was a block from The Book Worm. Severus and Lucius walked into the shop expecting to see the wizened, rather cantankerous wandmaker, but instead they saw behind the wide counter a pleasantly full-figured young woman with elfin features - very like Ollivander himself. She had sparkling, arresting purple eyes, and gilded, auburn hair. Severus found himself plowing right into the back of Lucius who had inconveniently stopped right in front of the door.

Severus nudged Lucius sharply in the back and Lucius, just barely, kept himself from stumbling as he'd yet been unable to take his eyes off the young witch. She smiled and giggled softly at the pale-haired man's unwavering attention.

The dark haired wizard grimaced in frustration when, after a few minutes, no one spoke, and they appeared to be standing around looking at each other.

"My friend is in need of a new wand," Severus said tersely.

"So he is," agreed the witch as she regarded Lucius boldly. He felt as though he'd been caught on a stage messing up his lines. He tried to back up, but Severus pushed him forward. To his further surprise, she caught his hand, and pulled him the rest of the way up against the counter. "Changes, Mr. Malfoy?" Turning over his palm, she ran a neat, manicured fingernail across his palm. He shivered, and Severus scowled.

"Ah... uhm... yes?" Lucius couldn't stop the blush. He now felt as stupid as he sounded, yet still he was completely mesmerised by this enchanting creature.

Gently she tapped his palm. "You were supposed to die, here." Her fingernail lightly traced the broken line. When she let go of his hand, Lucius felt suddenly bereft of her touch. "Were you merely lucky, or most fortunate?" Turning in a swirl of garnet robes, she vanished into the many shelves of wands.

"Are you quite all right, Lucius?" Severus asked quietly. He was becoming concerned over his friend's odd behavior. It was as though Lucius had fallen under a bewitchment.

Lucius closed his eyes, and slowly shook his head. "I don't..."

"White ash, thirteen inches, Gryphon feather core!" announced the young witch as she held the box holding the wand towards Lucius.

Lucius firmly stepped back with a recoil filled with repugnance crossing his face. The wand reminded him far too much of the one that the Dark Lord had wielded.

"No!" he said sharply.

The young witch narrowed her eyes shrewdly at Lucius and then tossed the box and wand over her shoulder. She had swept back into the shelves before the wand and its box hit the floor.

Muttering, crashes, and a few multi-coloured sparks emerged from the shelves, and then the witch returned.

"Blackthorn, nine inches, also Gryphon feather core." She shoved the box towards Lucius.

Lucius warily glanced down at the rather plain looking wand, then picked it up. He gave it an experimental swish. There was one single spark. The witch snatched the wand from him and vanished it back into the shelves. Tapping her lip for a moment, she then spoke a Summoning Spell neither wizard was familiar with. Severus ducked just in time to avoid being hit by the flying box. The box smashed against the far wall and fell to the floor sputtering rather pitiful looking grey sparks.

"Merlin's teeth, woman!" snapped Severus. "Have you no respect for Ollivander's creations?" The wandmaker, though eccentric, had always held a nearly religious reverence towards his wands. He, himself, was a mysterious creature (having appeared old when Severus himself was eleven), and that mystery was in his wands as well.

The young witch scowled at the Potions Master. She wasn't at all intimidated by his brusque manner and scowls. "Don't you be my judge and jury, sir! I've been at my da's side as he made every single one of these wands as he taught me his craft. I know how to help a wand choose, and just as Da has his way, I've mine."

She then turned sharply towards Lucius, who backed up just enough to grind his heel onto Severus' instep. The younger man hissed, and this time shoved the elder tersely forward. The wand mistress gave Lucius such a gentle and indulgent smile, that he didn't even think to retaliate his friend's shoving manner.

Severus retreated to the corner with his darkest scowl (the one that had made Death Eaters back away from him), and crossed his arms over his chest. The woman was a menace and for some reason, Lucius had turned into a hormonal teenager over her. He wanted nothing to do with either.

"Why don't we finish this, Mr. Malfoy," she spoke a bit breathily, and her purple gaze lingered just a bit more than was publicly appropriate upon the blonde haired wizard. With a wink, she turned away and disappeared once more into the shelves of wands.

This time she was gone so long, Severus was about to suggest they leave and return when Ollivander was back in the shop.

"Sambucus Nigra," she spoke reverently as she withdrew a wand of dark wood with a double spiral of vines circling its length. "Elderberry cut at the formation of a new moon. A difficult wood to work with, but a favourite of mine." She held the box out towards Lucius. "Fourteen inches with unicorn hair... from the silvery mane. The wand signifies rebirth..." she glanced sharply at Lucius, capturing his eyes with hers, "change. Protective magic, a pure wand of the Light." Just as the wizard was about to reach for the wand, she placed her hand warningly over his.

"Only a wizard whose soul has undergone true change may touch this wand," she spoke gently, but there was a hard note in her tone. "Otherwise, it is a slow poison."

Slowly the wand mistress removed her hand brushing her fingers across the back of his hand causing an arc of magic, silver in its manifestation, to appear between herself and Lucius. She smiled serenely and moved the wand box closer to him.

Even before touching the wand, Lucius could sense its power. He knew how deep his change was. He was no longer the man he'd once been; no longer was he the Death Eater that had foolishly hinged his future (despite his father's hand in his taking of the Dark Mark, Lucius knew there was more he could have done to prevent it) and then his family's lives on promises of power.

Picking up the wand, he waved it in an elaborate flourish. Green sparks shot from the end of the wand, describing the form of a sleeping dragon in the air before them.

"The wand has chosen," she said softly.

Lucius was pleased. He had no intention of giving up the wand. This one felt as though it complemented him much more than the one he'd been bequeathed by his grandfather. Unlike his son, Lucius had never been allowed a wand that chose him.

Minutes later the wand was paid for, as was an arm holster where Lucius tucked the wand away. Just as they were leaving, Lucius stopped. "Wait here, Severus. I've forgotten something."

Severus leaned against the wall of the old shop, his eyes rolling as he had a fair idea just what it was the older wizard had "forgotten".

"Forgive me," said Lucius politely as he walked back into the shop, catching the young witch before she disappeared into the back of the shop. "I never did get your name, m'Lady."

The witch smiled coquettishly. "I don't believe that I offered it, Mr. Malfoy."

He bowed slightly. "Then I am afraid I am at a disadvantage as you know who I am, but I do not know who you are."

"Oh, but you do know me, Mr. Malfoy." Her expression was ly mysterious as Lucius tried to recall her face. "I am not as young as I appear, Lucius," she said softly. "My father's people age well. When you recall me, return, and we shall have dinner together."

Frustrated, but pleasantly so, he watched as the witch turned gracefully and disappeared for a final time amongst the shelves of boxed wands. She was singing a beguiling tune in a language he had never heard before. Lucius left the shop with an enigmatic smirk on his face.

"Did you remember what you forgot?" Severus asked sarcastically as they walked in tandem down the sidewalk towards The Book Worm.

"Not yet, but I am certain I shall soon."

Severus shot a narrow-eyed gaze at his friend, before they both lapsed into a comfortable silence.


Lucius and Severus arrived at The Book Worm in good spirits. Sophie was chatting to an attentive audience that consisted of Remus Lupin and the owner of the O'Gilvy Brothers Magical Circus, Journey Leeds. Echo was seated behind the checkout counter, her brow furrowed darkly.

Severus went over to his wife while Lucius went over to his old employer. Journey stood and greeted Lucius with a strong embrace.

"You're looking well, Luc," Journey commented.

"I feel well, Journey. I thought you might be on your way to the Muggle world by now," he replied as he seated himself and drew his daughter onto his lap. He gave the werewolf an appraising glance and a nod.

"We will be on our way to America soon. Will you come see us for the last show?"

"Please, papa? Can we?" asked Sophie, her plea brimming perfectly in her golden eyes.

"We shall have to see what Uncle Severus says, Sophie." Lucius glanced over at Echo. He wasn't certain whether Echo would be up for such excitement. He then glanced again at the quiet werewolf. "Have you joined the circus, Lupin?" The old Lucius had nothing but contempt for werewolves, but he had had two werewolves in his maintenance crew at the circus and despite their monthly affliction, they had been good men.

"I'm afraid I haven't a talented bone in my body," smiled Remus. "I am quite good with numbers, so I've been assisting Journey with the books."

Journey slipped her hand into Remus', and squeezed it tightly.  She smiled at Lucius.  The pale man chuckled as the werewolf's cheeks reddened.

Meanwhile...

Severus slipped an arm over his wife's shoulders. "You appear stressed, Beauty. Are there more books missing?"

Since the grand opening, books had gone missing on an almost daily basis from the shop. There seemed no rhyme or reason to the content of the books as they encompassed childrens stories to magical textbooks. Even more inexplicable was that each book was returned, neatly placed upon the short stoop, at the rear door within two days.

"This time it's Beedle The Bard's Tales - well, actually that's been taken three times, but the new books are Potions For Children and Flitwick's Silly Charms." She pointed a slim finger to her inventory parchment. "This one I find rather puzzling."

Severus read the title, "How to Tell if You're A Squib?" he ended in a question.

"This is the sixth time it's been taken, dear, and I have a feeling it won't be returned like the others." Echo took a deep breath and stroked her swollen belly affectionately. "You were telling me about a ward that could trap a thief a few nights ago?" she asked.

"I can cast it this evening, but I'll need your help." Severus touched Echo's cheek gently. "Are you up for it?"

"I am," she said after she tore her gaze from the inventory parchment after a long moment. "The ward won't hurt the thief, will it?"

Severus smiled and brushed his lips to Echo's. "I can modify the ward so it will only trap the thief, not hurt them. Do you still think it's a child?"

Echo shrugged. "It doesn't make sense that a child would steal all these books... and return them." She looked up as she rolled up the parchment. "It's just a feeling, Severus, but I do wonder if one of the Fagins are behind this."

Diagon Alley, for all its pristine order, had Knockturn Alley, and also had the Fagins. These were mostly teens, and sometimes a few younger children, that tended to be Squibs, or children that were thought to be Squibs. They were named for the Squib who had gathered such children into a group and trained them to be thieves along the drear Knockturn Alley. The original Fagin was centuries dead, but others had kept his name alive. The present day Fagin nearly always managed to elude the authorities.

During the time of Voldemort, the Fagins had become a greater problem as the prejudice against Squibs, nearly as great as that of Muggles and Muggle-Borns in Pureblood families, had escalated. If they weren't killed, they were thrown away like so much rubbish. Back then, the Fagins had become a palpable and aggressive presence. Their activities, at times, coincided with the goals of the Order of the Phoenix, but there were times when the two groups collided. Aurors were sent to flush them out, but Fagins really did know how to hide. It was a skill that kept many of them alive during the First Rise of Voldemort.

With the demise of the Dark Lord, the Fagins had once again become mere thieves, although they tended to steal only what they needed. The Wizarding Childrens Services was adamant about dealing with the children and placing them in orphanages, and then good homes either in the wizarding world, or the Muggle world.

The Fagins themselves, though, liked their independence, and had a wiliness about them that would make any Slytherin proud. They knew all the secrets of Diagon Alley and its tributaries, and, of course, Knockturn Alley. They knew where to hide, and they knew all the weaknesses of the shops and the owners. They knew who to steal from, and who not to. More importantly was the fabled 'Nest' of the Fagins which the Aurors and WCS had never been able to discover. The Aurors that helped in looking for the Fagins always quipped about how the children, and Squibs, at that, appeared more intelligent than any criminal, including some of the worst Death Eaters ever known.

"Have you seen any Fagins?" asked Severus as he automatically rang up three books that were brought to the counter by an elderly wizard. "Two galleons, four knuts," he recited the price to the old man.

The old man counted out his coins for the books, and then interrupted, "I seen one o'them Fagins hangin' about here, sir. Kinda sticks out like a sore thumb, she does, seein' as how them Fagins is more interested in food then books."

"A little girl?" inquired Echo.

"Aye," replied the older wizard. "Eight, nine, mebbe? Don't know if she's yer trouble, though. Seemed a mite timid to even be a Fagin, but I seen her with tha' older boy them Aurors been after of late. I 'spect he's the current Fagin. Appears a bit beyond his teen years, I'd dare guess."

Severus frowned. He'd never seen any Fagins. If he admitted it to himself, he'd never seen a single Fagin in his entire life. "What does the boy look like?"

"Tall. Got the thinness all them Fagins have. Wears his hair longish, he do, just 'neath the shoulders. Not a real clean sort, an' he don't wear clothes tha' fit him. I seen the little girl twice with him. Can't say as he's a nice sort, though. Clouted her once, he did. Would'a done somethin' but they was both gone from m'sight before I could blink."

Echo's jaw dropped when she heard that the smaller child had been hit. She looked over to her husband and couldn't help the silent expression that ordered him to "do something".

"I am no more happy than you are, my dear, to hear of this, but there is little that we can do. We can only try and catch a thief, and there is no guarantee that our thief is a Fagin."


A few days later - a lovely Saturday

In the large kitchen at Fairwinds, the three adults sat at the round kitchen table as they watched Dobby, and the two youngest of the household cooking breakfast. Sophie wasn't allowed near the stove, but Dobby watched her carefully as she used a knife-edged scoop to create small balls of fruit from cantaloupe, honeydew, and watermelon. Once five bowls were filled with fruit, Dobby guided her small hands as she sliced ripe strawberries to put on top of the fruit.

Harry was at the stove, on a stool that gave him height. He was watching over a pan of sausages, and a smaller pan where he was skillfully making a dish called 'Bird's Nest'. It was fried toast with an egg peeking from the center.

At age four, at the knee of his disagreeable Aunt Petunia, Harry had been taught to cook for the Dursley household. Once he'd gotten burned and dropped an entire pan of scrambled eggs to the floor. The first time Harry recalled ever being hit was by that same pan connecting with his head. From then on, Aunt Petunia did not hesitate in slapping his hands, or smacking his bottom for no reason other than he'd angered her; which was nearly all the time. Uncle Vernon was a yeller, not a hitter and though he'd seen his wife spank Harry a few times, he thought nothing of it, as Petunia would also spank her own son, if rarely.

As Potter grew older, Petunia was a little more cautious in physical abuse towards Harry. She was afraid of his magic attacking her. Potter was ignored, kept out of sight of Petunia's "society" guests, and once Petunia had nagged Vernon so terribly that he nailed boards over Potter's small bedroom window. But little Harry didn't remember anything that happened to him after age six.

When Severus had rescued de-aged Harry from his relatives, it had been the impetus Vernon needed to take his son and leave Petunia. Petunia's mind had only degenerated while Vernon and Dudley went through therapy, and diets assisted by potions from Severus. It was several months later that Harry had forgiven his uncle.

Despite those early days of his life that he could remember, Harry had always enjoyed cooking. He often helped Echo, who loved cooking, too, and she taught him lots of really neat new things. One thing his mother had taught him was how to cook the 'Bird's Nests' and now Harry was cooking on his own for the adults.

Once the cooked food was ready, Dobby placed it all on plates and Harry served the sausages and the toasted eggs while Sophie served her fruit bowls. Dobby then conjured coffee for Severus and Lucius, pumpkin juice for Harry and Sophie (Severus was permitting the sweet drink at breakfast since this was a special meal), and orange juice for Echo.

Sophie and Harry were both complimented on a perfect breakfast right before they ran outside to play. Echo went to get ready for a day at The Book Worm while Lucius and Severus each indulged in a second cup of coffee as they both read copies of The Daily Prophet.

Lucius interrupted at one point, snapping his paper and pushing it in front of his friend. "Take a look at this, Severus."

Severus put down his paper and drew Lucius' copy closer. He was a methodical reader who read all the articles in order. Lucius read the news according to the most interesting headline, then 'Ask Zora', and he finished with his indulgence, the Funnies. His curiosity had been caught by a headline above an animated photo. The headline read, 'Fagin's Nest Discovered!' and the photo showed a tall, thin boy struggling against two Aurors that were attached to Wizarding Childrens Services.

"Merlin's teeth!" cursed Severus. "They found fourteen children?" He scanned the article a second time before handing it back to his friend. "I would never have guessed there were that many."

Severus rose from the table and went into the living room. He caught Echo just as she was coming down the stairs. "Lucius just found a notice in the paper that said the Fagins Nest was discovered. WCS took in fourteen children, plus the teenager that took Fagin's name."

"Fourteen?" Echo gasped. "Were they all Squibs?"

"WCS doesn't know for certain, yet." Severus drew Echo into his embrace and bestowed a kiss to her forehead. "If our thief was one of the Fagins, you won't have to worry about borrowed books anymore."

Echo brushed her lips to her husband's, and sighed, a bit saddened. "I suppose so. I mean, I was more concerned about a child living in our alley. Let me know if you hear anymore."

"I shall. Dobby will be coming by at noon with your Nutrition Potion, so don't forget to drink it," he admonished gently.

Echo smiled. "With Harry home for the weekend, what will you be doing?"

"Lucius will be working on the books while Harry, Sophie, and I will be brewing a surprise for him." Severus gave Echo a knowing smirk before he kissed her cheek and directed her towards the Floo. "Have a good day, my Beauty."

"And you, my Prince." Echo winked and in moments she had vanished into the green flames of the Floo.


Harry and Sophie sat side by side on two tall stools at one of the long work tables in the potions lab beneath Fairwinds. They were bright eyed and attentive.

Severus had on his old teaching robes and they billowed softly as he paced briefly in front of his two students.

"Mr. Snape, what can you tell us about the Gathering of Spirits?" Severus asked curtly, stopping abruptly in front of his son.

Harry smiled, since he knew the answer. "Spirits are the most arcane ingredients used in the most wondrous potions ever! And, only really special Potions Masters know how to gather them. Like you, dad... uhm, I mean, Professor Snape."

Severus gave Harry a quick wink. "Very good, Mr. Snape. You've just earned 1 chocolate galleon." He then moved smoothly to stand in front of Sophie and leaned down slightly. "Now, Miss Malfoy, could you speculate upon the reason we are here today?"

Sophie frowned in concentration. She wanted to earn some chocolate galleons, too. "You're going to show us somethin' really neat so we can make a present for papa?" Harry nudged the little girl gently. "Uhm... Professor, is that right?"

Severus smiled just enough for Sophie to see she'd answered correctly. "One chocolate galleon for you, too, Miss Malfoy." Sophie grinned smugly as their teacher began to pace slowly again.

"The Gathering of Spirits is a Potions Mastery that requires more than just your sight and your hands to select the right bezoar or cut the correct plant. To Gather the Spirits means that you must employ..." he stopped and gave the two children his most serious, lecturing look as he paused. Both Harry and Sophie were rapt and he clamped down on the smile that threatened as he was able to discern that both children had held their breaths as they hung upon his words.

Sophie raised her hand suddenly, and then blurted breathlessly, "Employ what Uncle... uhm... Professor Severus, sir?"

Severus straightened, and then intoned in his smoothest voice, utterly serious, "Happy thoughts." Finally allowing the smile to appear, Harry let out the breath he held, and Sophie clapped her hands excitedly.

"What are we gathering, dad?" asked Harry with an anticipatory gleam in his green eyes.

"Something very special for Lucius for Sophie to give her father for his birthday." Severus took from his inside robe pocket what looked like a delicate, slightly iridescent, pink bubble. Reverently he handed the pretty sphere to Sophie, cupping his own two hands over hers in a silent warning not to drop the bubble.

"Do I have enough happy thoughts, Uncle Sev'rus?" asked Sophie quietly as she stared at the bubble which almost felt like nothing.

Severus thoughtfully tapped the little girl's forehead lightly. "Hmmm. Not yet, I think." Standing now between the two children, the Potions Master raised his arms, his robes encompassing him and the children like huge draping bat wings. Sophie let out a startled squeal while Harry grinned smugly as his father thundered, "Let's go play!"

The robes came down, covering the children, and with a spark of crystalline light, there was a loud bang as they Apparated out of the potions lab and into the back yard.

Harry, who had finally gotten over the disorientation that Apparating and Floo travel caused, caught Sophie, who was still holding onto the bubble. Severus took the bubble from Sophie, whose eyes didn't leave it. He balanced it across his slim fingers, then tossed it into the air. It bounced along the air currents until it was hovering over the two children.

Severus, his hands resting lightly upon Sophie's shoulders, bent down and whispered in that magical voice of his, "Never let your sight off of the sphere, little one. Run, chase it, leap for it... soon you'll catch it..." he nudged her just as Harry caught her by the hand.

Both children ran and jumped as they laughed in delight following the sphere around the garden. The bubble bobbed and glittered in the sunlight, always just out of reach. Watched sharply, Severus began to weave the ethereal magic between his hands that quickly spun away like shining, opalescent tendrils after the children. The magic bobbed, dove, spun, and kept pace with the two young, whirling dervishes until Sophie took a great leap into the air. The magical ribbons spun around her, following her arms and hands upwards until she, and the magic, caught the bubble. Harry caught Sophie and they tumbled to the grass, but the bubble was safe in Sophie's hands.

The little girl scrambled to her feet, and began to run towards Severus. "Uncle Sev! Uncle Sev! It's full of magic!" Severus caught the little girl in his arms and laughed.

"You did very well, Sophie! Very well indeed!" He then looked down upon his son, proudly. "And Harry, you definitely earned a few more galleons of chocolate. Come along, you two. We have a bit of brewing to do, and then it will be time for a nap."

Harry was so filled with joy, that he didn't bother to object to him having to take a nap. With his hand in his father's he wasn't aware that he skipped along beside the tall man as they made their way back inside the house.


After an hour of brewing Sophie's birthday potion for her father, amidst a spontaneous eruption of giggles from the children, and even Severus (who really tried to turn them into severe giggles), it was time for naps. Sophie didn't want to leave her potion, but Severus assured her that he would have it in a pretty bottle and wrapped for her by the time she woke up.

The tall wizard escorted the two children up the stairs and to their bedrooms where he tucked them in and made sure that both were asleep before heading back down the stairs. Severus then entered his study, to find Lucius, with a pair of reading glasses perched on his patrician nose, busy with the accounting.

"How are you doing, Lucius?" asked Severus as he sat down upon a chair to the side of the large, black oak desk.

"Nearly finished. I've had to owl a letter to Gangrel's in Aberdeen. They've gone two months now without paying their invoice. No more stock until they pay." Lucius wagged a slim finger at the dark haired wizard. "You are too lenient, my friend. Gangrel's isn't your only debtor. I've written to eight others, Severus, who are also behind and seem to have decided that you are the last to pay, if at all."

Severus scowled. He couldn't dispute Lucius. Somewhere, somehow, he'd become influenced by some of the sad stories his lesser financially flush clients regaled him with in order to side-step their responsibilities towards his business. Lucius, despite his changes from having lost his memory, was still a very shrewd businessman, and quite lethal with quill and parchment.

"I am confidant that you will have them sorted out by the next billing schedule, Lucius," Severus smirked.

Lucius pushed the books aside, and then nervously tapped his dry quill upon the leather desktop. "Severus, I am in need of your advice."

Severus straightened. Lucius had been one for demanding help from his friend, in the past. When Lucius asked him, politely, it tended to put the old spy on guard.

"As you know, Draco's last year at Hogwarts is coming to an end, and I have decided that something must be done to mark the occasion. I certainly cannot do what my father did." Lucius glanced pointedly down at his left forearm where his Dark Mark remained, although it was very faded.

Severus' right hand touched his left forearm. His Dark Mark had been taken by a dream visitation of Lily on Harry's seventh birthday. The pain that it had caused when he was called, though, was forever burned in his memory.

For a moment, both men were silent, and then Severus spoke. He could not believe what he was suggesting, "Why don't we all go to the circus?" The Potions Master relished the look on his older friend's face. He, too, had changed. After all, he had just played with two children. He had a wife he adored, a child on the way, and apparently his heart had softened enough that he was putting his business in jeopardy.

Lucius smiled finally. "O'Gilvy's last show will be on the day Draco finishes at Hogwarts. Perhaps Hermione might wish to come as well?" He snatched a new piece of parchment. "Do you suppose the Headmaster and his good wife might also enjoy the show, Severus?"

Severus blanched. "Albus at a circus? Sweet Merlin he'd get mistaken for one of the clowns!"

Both men laughed as Lucius began writing appropriate invitations.


Echo was having a fine and quiet day at The Book Worm. Hermione had hired a young witch to make and serve the coffee, tea, and small pastries on the cafe side of the shop. Ezmerelda was a plump, convivial witch who loved to talk to the customers. The young witch never seemed to stop moving as she enticed book customers into the cafe.

With Ezmeralda as a one woman entertainment, this gave Echo the chance to be quiet; something she always cherished. She sat comfortably at the counter, taking galleons as needed for books bought, and read quietly to her child as she stroked her belly. As such, she was so startled when a ward alarm rang that she nearly fell from her chair and worried that she might go into labor.

Once her senses were back where they should be, Echo made her way as quickly as possible to the back office where a swirl of magic held the thief in stunned thrall between doorway and alley. Suddenly she dropped, carefully, to her knees, knowing she'd need help up later.

"Ezmerelda! Call Severus and tell him to come over! Now!" ordered Echo.

Nearly twenty minutes later Severus arrived in The Book Worm through the Floo in the office. He saw Echo immediately and rushed to her side.

Caught by the ward was a small girl, about the same height as Harry and possibly the same age. She wore what appeared to be a very dingy, large pillowcase that had holes for her arms and her neck cut into it. Her black hair was absolutely limp, and definitely dirty, hanging like thick strings over her back and shoulders.

Echo was seated upon the floor, not far from the child, whose wide, brown eyes were filled with fear at the sight of the tall wizard all in black.

Severus leaned over to help Echo to her feet, but one of her hands dropped upon his. "Severus, she's terrified. Let her go, please?"

Severus did not like the look of fright on the child's face, but he suddenly had a greater concern that warred with what he needed to do. Why hadn't Echo released the girl? Making his decision, with a wave of his hand, the door to the alley shut tightly, without knocking into the child. Another, more complicated wave of his hand changed the ward slightly, allowing the small thief a moment to scramble into the nearby corner.

The Potions Master helped his very pregnant wife up off the floor. "Echo, why didn't you release the girl?"

"Healer Bell said this might happen, Severus. Don't you recall?" Echo continued without waiting for an answer to her question. "She said that my magic may not always work the closer I came to my delivery date." She patted his chest firmly. "We'll discuss that later, though. What are..."

"Don't give me to the aurors!" blurted the girl. "They'll send me back!"

"Back?" asked Echo softly. "Do you mean back to your family?" The girl nodded firmly and tried to squeeze herself tighter into the corner.

Severus, ignoring the popping of his knees, knelt down in order to try and make himself less intimidating. "Why don't you want to go back to your family?"

The girl shook her head and then looked down at the book she still gripped for strength. After another shake of the head, she whispered, "They don't like me."

Slowly Severus rose to his full height. He recalled how he had once overheard Potter telling his little friends that his relatives, his aunt especially, did not "like" him.

After a moment of thought, he looked down at the girl again. "Are you aware that your compatriots have all been found by Wizarding Children Services?"

The girl nodded. "Fagin and the others were all found yesterday. I have lotsa places to hide that nobody knows about. Not even the Fagins. Are you going to give me to them? The aurors?" She looked prepared to disappear to one of those hiding places.

Echo grasped Severus' forearm, intending to speak, but her husband gave her a quick glance that had her remaining silent. "You may come with us to Fairwinds," he began, "but, you must promise to tell either me or my wife about your family."

"I..." the girl wavered slightly, clutched the book even tighter, and then spoke again, "Everything? I have to tell you..." she grimaced, and looked slightly ill. "Everything?"

"We wish to help you, child, but in order to do so, you must tell us why you're afraid of them," Severus spoke quietly cajoling the girl with his voice, "If you do not, then we have no choice but to call Wizarding Childrens Services."

The child looked between Echo and Severus several times before letting out a defeated sigh. "I don't want to go back. I'll go with you."

Echo smiled and held her arms out towards the girl, encouraging her to leave the corner. The child crept warily towards Echo, but would not allow the witch to touch her. Echo understood and dropped her arms to her side. "Would you tell us your name?"

"Rat," the child spoke solemnly. Echo's gaze widened and Severus scowled.

"That is an animal, young lady," said the tall wizard. The girl backed uneasily towards the corner again at the tinge of anger in his voice. "What is the name your family gave you?"

"That IS my name," she suddenly spat with anger. "Filthy! Worthless! RAT!"


Severus had not believed, even with the small girl's angered declaration, that her given name was 'Rat'. She remained stubborn on the subject and it was Echo who broke the scowling impasse between her husband and the girl.

"We can't call you Rat. That clearly isn't a proper name, and it certainly isn't who you are," Echo interjected.

"Then who am I?" asked the child, almost plaintively.

Echo glanced at her husband. "Plantena?" he suggested simply.

Echo grimaced as did the girl. "You're not serious, Severus?" Her husband shrugged and Echo smacked his upper arm. "I think I'm afraid, now, of what our son or daughter will wind up with." Severus smirked and Echo returned her attention to the little girl. "Hmm... I think the name Tabitha would suit you."

"That's better than Plantena?" hissed Severus with a wide smirk.

"Quiet, you. Tabitha. Do you like it, child?" she asked.

The little girl smiled shyly and nodded. "I do like it. Thank you."

Arrangements were quickly made with Ezmerelda to close the shop and Severus escorted his wife, and the Rat, newly christened Tabitha, to Fairwinds.


There was a small bit of pandemonium once they arrived home at Fairwinds. Severus had gone to look for Lucius who was playing with Sophie and Harry. He joined them and told the children about their guest. The two wanted to meet another child and make a new friend, but Severus explained that the child needed some time alone and that Echo would take care of her. They then all sat down, rather uncomfortably for the adults, in white and pink painted chairs around a small table. Other chairs were taken up by various stuffed animals and two of Sophie's Unbreakable Porcelain Dolls. She began, in a rather ladylike manner, to serve Harry and the two wizards (who sincerely hoped that such a ridiculous tableux would never leave Fairwinds) invisible tea.

Echo had taken Tabitha to the kitchen to eat something and had settled the child down with a sandwich.

"Would you mind if I asked you a few questions about your parents, Tabitha?" Echo inquired.

Tabitha stopped stuffing the food into her mouth, and narrowed her gaze at the witch. After a moment's thought, she replied, "I s'pose." She recalled the deal she had made with the wizard in black, and her stomach tensed.

"Can you tell me who they are?"

The child grimaced, then, with a bit of rebelliousness, bit into her sandwich and chewed the bite, which just tasted like sawdust now, before replying. "Lord and Lady Lockhart," she mumbled quickly.

The name sounded familiar, but she couldn't immediately place it. Echo frowned slightly. Unlike the Malfoys, who had been considered nobility until their slight fall from grace, she wasn't aware of any other Pureblooded families that had a legitimate right to such a noble title. Severus had told her, at one point, that the Prince line, his mother's family, had been of the nobility, but due to their open practices in the Dark Arts, they had fallen into disgrace. His mother, Eileen, had quite possibly been the last Prince with a 'truly kind heart'.

And then it hit her. "Gilderoy Lockhart?" she blurted. Echo couldn't help herself. She recalled the dozens of books written by that charlatan, that were even now still circulating, and had made their dubious way into her book shop, since he'd been relegated to St. Mungo's.

"He's my uncle," corrected Tabitha. "I don't know what he was like before his accident, but he's quite kind, now. He doesn't even seem like the wizard that authored all those stupid books."

"So you've visited him, then?"

Tabitha nodded. Echo noted that the uncle was a more pleasant subject for the child than her parents were. "I don't think he ever knew about me... before. But, when I heard about him, and that he was at St. Mungo's I had to see if he was as mean as Mas... uhm... my father."

"Does he remember that he has family?"

Tabitha frowned for a moment. "Sort of. He says he's got like big blocks of missing pieces in his memories, but he doesn't want them back because they make him feel bad." Suddenly she smiled brightly. "He wrote a story for me once!"

Echo returned the smile and tucked a greasy strand of hair behind the child's ear so she could better see her face. She resisted wiping her fingers on a napkin in front of Tabitha. The child's hair felt terrible!

"His other books are complete trash, but the story he wrote for me is really good. I haven't seen him in two years, though. Mistress found out about me getting out and visiting the 'Disgrace' and..." Tabitha winced as she remembered the beating she'd received. "They hate him, too."

Echo saw that the sandwich and fruit were gone and she picked up the plate. "Well, we'll see about visiting him so you can..."

Dobby chose that moment to pop into the kitchen to see if he could be of any help and Tabitha let out a scream of terror. Like a whizzing Snitch, she darted from the table and scrambed into the large cupboard where the dry goods were kept. Her screams kept up.

Dobby, visibly flustered, vanished just as Lucius and Severus thundered into the kitchen. Severus cast a Silencing Charm over the cupboard and was immediately, verbally assaulted by his wife.

"Take that charm down, Severus, before I hex you with Spider Legs!" Spider Legs was a nasty little hex that gave the victim the horrible sensation that spiders were crawling on their skin. Echo continued angrily, "That's a very frightened little girl in there and we have no right to immune ourselves to her distress!"

With a sharp snap of his wand, the spell was gone, but so were Tabitha's screams. "What happened?" he demanded, as he tried to keep the hard edge out of his voice.

"Dobby popped in and she just... freaked," Echo said softly. She took Lucius and Severus by the upper arms. "Let me take care of this, all right? Harry and Sophie might come down after hearing that, and I don't need them complicating things." She nudged them gently. "Go."

Once the two men were gone, Echo leaned against the tall, cupboard door. "Tabitha? Please come out, won't you?" There was no answer. "Was it Dobby? Our house elf? Did he frighten you?"

"Is he gone?" came the muffled voice from within the cupboard.

"He is. Will you come out?"

Slowly the door opened a crack as Tabitha peered uneasily through the crack. "Will he come back?" she asked.

"Not unless I summon him." Echo was pleased to see the girl bravely step all the way out of the cupboard. "I rather think you scared him more than you were scared yourself." She chuckled softly to diffuse the tension.

"Was he?" Tabitha asked timidly. Echo nodded and was surprised to see the child's features harden rapidly. "Good."

Echo, sensing that there was genuine hatred in the comment, let it slide for now. Tabitha was in need of food, and then a good scrubbing in the bathtub.


The bath had been a nightmare, and that was its most pleasant aspect. Echo deduced that the child had quite possibly never seen a bath, and had screeched upon approaching the tub filled with water. To Echo's disgust the child had pleaded not to be drowned! She had a brief moment where she reminded herself that two of the most terrifying Death Eaters resided in Fairwinds. Maybe they might visit Lord and Lady Lockhart and drown them!

Those thoughts were interrupted as Tabitha ducked away from Echo and left the bathroom. Echo had been surprised at her dexterity despite being eight months pregnant. She caught the child before she darted into the house proper completely without clothing. Tabitha was wriggling like a mad worm, and finally Echo raised her voice with a sharp command.

"Sit down! Stop this nonsense. Now!"

The small girl dropped like a stone on the bed, completely unconcerned at her own nudity. She hiccuped as Echo draped a blue velvet dressing gown over her shoulder.

"It's only a bath, Tabitha! You're quite filthy and in need of a good scrub and some clean clothes. That's all I'm going to do!" Holding out her hand, she gestured for the child to take it. Tabitha took the older witch's hand, but made no move from her spot on the edge of the bed. "Get up. As you can see, I haven't the dexterity, or the strength, to pull you into the bathroom."

Reluctantly, the girl rose and followed, gazing warily at the tub filled with fragrantly steaming water.

"What's that smell?" asked Tabitha, her nose rather liking the fragrance.

"That is a bath scent my husband makes for me. It is a rather ingenious layering of my favorite scents of Spring." Echo removed the robe and hung it on a hook on the back of the bathroom door. "Do you like it?"

She nodded and approached the tub. Tabitha then climbed in and as the water settled around her, she let out an quiet sigh as the warm water did feel rather pleasant. She then glanced guiltily at the pregnant witch who had wearily seated herself upon the closed toilet lid.

"I... I'm sor... I... uhm... never had a bath before," Tabitha confessed quietly. She hated that she had behaved so badly towards a woman who was so very pregnant.

Echo grimaced inwardly as she levitated a cloth and a bar of soap over to the girl who snatched each from the air.

"Were you allowed to bathe at all?" Echo asked.

Tabitha twirled the soap bar in the cloth making it thick with suds and bubbles. She shook her head in reply. "I got a cloth and a bucket of cold water once a week. Mistress didn't want to waste hot water on me."

"Mistress?" Echo asked with confusion. "You called her that before. Is that what your mother made you call her?"

"Uh huh. And I had to call father, Master. I didn't say it often. To either of them. They didn't like seeing me. Gipple preferred me to stay in the kitchen."

Echo's head lifted as she heard that hard edge in the child's voice again. Glancing at Tabitha, she saw that the child was staring straight ahead. There was a flicker of sharp hatred mixed with fear in her brown eyes that made the colour very dark.

The rest of the child's bath was a silent one as Echo turned over some of the few things she'd gathered from Tabitha's outbursts and their short chat as she had eaten.

Echo assumed, at first, that the girl's parents must have discovered she was a Squib and wanted nothing to do with her. Had they given her into the care of Gipple? A house elf? Judging from the child's fearful reaction towards Dobby, and the tone of hatred as she said Gipple's name, the elf had not been a kind one. House elfs tended to reflect their owners in their personalities, and if Gipple was mean to her, what had her parents been like?

Master and Mistress, her mind bit out so that she almost cursed the words aloud. Rat. Tabitha insisted that was her given name and that she'd had none other. Had her parents wanted her at all? From the very beginning?

Unlike in the Muggle world where an unwanted child was terminated before birth, or given up for adoption, a Pureblood married couple would have neither option before them. Children, even unwanted, were a duty that many Purebloods took very seriously. The termination of a pregnancy was considered one of the Darkest of Magics. Unwanted souls, condemned to haunt those that had destroyed them. The magical child might have very little contact with his or her parents, and might have a stronger relationship with a governess, a nanny, or even a tutor. Squib children, though sometimes prey to "accidents" had often been kept locked away and out of sight of "polite, Pureblood society".

"I'm clean," a soft voice laced with tiredness announced. Echo spelled a towel to drape over the child standing in the tub as the water dwindled down the drain. The towel scrubbed her dry and Echo used a drying charm on her hair.

Now that the black hair was truly clean, it didn't hang in greasy ropes about her face. It was straight, interrupted by soft waves.  The length reached just above her elbows. Another spell dressed Tabitha in a long, cotton nightie. Echo then nudged the very sleepy girl out of the bathroom and towards the bed. As sleepy as she was, the child stopped at the edge of the bed, her hands drifting tentatively over the satin bedcover. She hadn't really been able to appreciate the bed during her tantrum over the bath.

"It's all right, Tabitha. Harry would tell you that it's a very nice and soft bed, since he's managed to jump on all of them at least once." Echo smiled as she pulled back the coverlet and the sheets.

"Who's Harry?" asked Tabitha as she climbed onto the bed.

"My son. Since you've had a tiring day, I think a nap would be in order and then you can meet him, and his friend, Sophie."

The small girl mumbled an incoherent reply, and was fast asleep before Echo could even tuck her in.


As Echo left the guest bedroom, she walked slowly down the hall and then carefully took the steps. She could hear Sophie and Harry in the kitchen with Dobby, but she was tired and needed to sit down.

Two months ago, Severus had Transfigured a small chair from one of his books and placed it at the bottom of the stairs for his wife to sit upon so she could catch her breath. Echo sat there now, and leaned her head back against the wall.

"You could come early, you know," she snarked gently at her swollen belly. For a moment, she said to herself, I'll just close my eyes.


It was actually quite a few hours later when Echo woke. Someone, Severus presumably, had levitated her to their bed. A glance through a sliver of the heavy, green velvet curtains over the window showed the stars twinkling outside. Night had fallen. She struggled to a sitting position and as she caught her breath, she wondered if Tabitha was all right.

Nearly a half hour later - please, Baby, won't you come early? - Echo had removed herself from bed, relieved herself - oh my poor bladder! - and had re-dressed herself - blast you, Severus, for dressing me in my nightgown! - and was ready to collapse back onto the bed. She didn't lie down, but she did sit heavily upon the edge of the bed.

"Beauty?" Severus remained warily upon the threshold. His dear wife, over the intervening months, was being replaced by a moody, sulky thing that did not like anyone to sneak up upon her. The Potions Master refused to give up his excellent skill of silence, but he had made the concession of speaking up to lessen any startlement.

Echo very briefly thought of snapping at her husband, but the mood didn't remain long enough to be acted upon. She was still concerned about their little thief.

"Tabitha?" she asked simply.

"Ah!" he declared, sensing that it was safe to enter their bedroom. "The child woke about an hour after I took you to bed. She decided to wander... I think she might have been looking for you... anyway, she found the Playroom and Harry and Sophie were there."

Echo emitted a small gasp, not entirely sure she should be worried. "What happened, Severus?"

He shrugged and sat down beside her. "As children would, they played. She seems quite comfortable with Harry and Sophie." He smirked and chuckled slightly. "Sophie appears quite enamored of her and I think Harry might be a bit jealous."

Echo laughed. "Well, I'm sure he'll get over that. I am glad they're getting along."

Severus rose to his feet. "Are you hungry, my dear? Dobby should have dinner ready soon."

Echo let out a full gasp, with a hiss. "Don't let Dobby near Tabitha!"

Severus raised his hands in a placating manner. "It's all right. I know about Gipple."

"She talked you?" Echo asked a bit dubiously.

He smirked, "Not quite..." Severus began to relate the small drama his wife had missed out on while she slept.


While Lucius was in the garden, indulging in his own idea of meditation and quiet, Severus had relaxed in the living room with a stack of periodicals he was in need of catching up on. Some time later Dobby brought him some tea, he took a few sips and decided it was high time to check on the children. They'd been too quiet entirely too long.

Moving without a sound down the hallway, he heard the third voice of the little thief before he reached the Playroom. Settling himself out of sight against the wall, he listened to the children talking.

"... he's a really nice elf, I promise," urged Harry.

"I don't want him near me." The child's voice was implacable and hard.

Sophie piped up, "But not all house elfs is bad and you're not being nice about Dobby. He's a good elf who treats us all really nice an' looks after me an' Harry an' he'd look after you, too, if you didn' hate him."

There was silence for a moment, then Harry spoke softly, "My Aunt Petunia hated me. She told me once that she should have left me to die out in the cold."

"But... uhm... aren't Echo and what's his name?"

"Uncle Severus," Sophie supplied.

"Yeah," replied Tabitha. "Aren't they your parents?"

"Well, I didn't know my dad was my dad for a long time. When my mum and my step-dad James were killed by evil Voldemort I was given to my Aunt Petunia because grandpa, who I didn't know was my sorta grandpa back then, thought my aunt would be a nice person and take care of me. But, she wasn't. She had a Muggle depression thing that made her insane and she... well, she treated me like a house elf."

There was such a long silence, that Severus almost went into the Playroom when he heard Sophie's soft voice consoling Tabitha. "Please don't cry."

"I thought I was the only one!" came the strangled whisper. "Gipple was always telling me that I made a terrible house elf and everytime my parents got mad at him, he... he... hurt me."

Harry spoke this time, in reassurance, "Nobody's gonna hurt you here, even Dobby. He's my friend. I bet... yeah... I bet Dobby would be real mad at this Gipple for being such a nasty house elf. He might even beat up Gipple for you!" Severus smirked at the smug smile he heard in that statement of his son's.

"Do you think he would?" asked Tabitha hopefully. "Really would he?"

"We can ask him after dinner," declared Sophie. "An', if he won't, my papa's real good at punching bad men, so he'd go and kick Gipple for you!"

Severus slipped away, leaving the children alone. Harry and Sophie were drawing out Tabitha's story and making her comfortable, thus giving her someone to trust. At some point he hoped she would trust everyone at Fairwinds.

When he returned to his chair by the fireplace, Severus stared thoughtfully into the flameless Floo. At some point, WCS would have to be notified, even after everything was discovered about the abuse Tabitha had suffered at the hands of her parents, and also, it seemed, at the hands of a despicable house elf. Although his intention was to go back to his reading, his mind could not let go of the problem of what to do with Tabitha.

After an hour of doing nothing but thinking and worrying, he roused himself as he smelled the aromatic odours coming from the kitchen. Those were also accompanied by the nonsensical singing of Dobby. It was a good thing his singing voice was tolerable or Severus would have made good on the threat he had waiting when Dobby had asked permission to sing in the kitchen.

Putting away the periodicals, he headed upstairs and checked on the children. Harry smiled at his arrival.

"Where's Sophie?" the Potions Master asked as he noted the absence of the golden child.

"With Uncle Lucius. I think he's reading to her," replied Harry.

Severus gave a slight frown. Had he been so pre-occupied with his thoughts that he'd never heard the older wizard come in from the outside?

"Dad! Guess what?" Harry asked with a grin.

"What, son?" Severus asked with an indulgent smirk as he leaned against the doorway to the Playroom.

"Tabitha's ten! That means she'll go to Hogwarts next year, right?" Harry's rather smug smile told Severus that this had been the topic of conversation at one point and the child's thin lips told him that she'd not been happy with Harry's conclusion.

For a moment, the older man hesitated as he regarded the small girl. He never thought he'd have to explain to his son about the difference between wizards and Squibs. He then had the sudden flash of uncomfortable question of what he might handle if his and Echo's child were a Squib. Petunia and Lily had once been close, until the day he'd shown up and told Lily that she was a witch. The beginning of her accidental magic, then her letter from Hogwarts, had severed any ties the two sisters might have had into adulthood.

"We shall talk of this later, son. Dobby's fixing dinner, so I'd like you both to wash up and get to the dining room."

"Okay, dad!" Harry got up and grasped Tabitha by the hand. The young girl flashed a quick look of relief towards Severus. He gave her a curt nod, and then headed for his and Echo's bedroom.


Severus extended his elbow and Echo slipped her hand into the crook, pulling herself to her feet. He escorted his wife from their bedroom, down the hallway, and finally down the stairs.

"WCS is going to send Tabitha back to her parents, Severus. We can't tell them about her." He frowned slightly. She held up a hand. "At least not yet, love?"

"No. We won't say anything. Not yet. I intend to learn more about the child's home life and this Gipple. I've never heard of a house elf abusing a child." Severus grimaced darkly.

Echo's dark blue eyes brightened for a moment. "Severus? I wonder if Dobby can find out anything about Gipple?"

Severus' right eyebrow raised slightly. "A good question. I'll speak to him after dinner."


Dinner had been a relatively stress free time despite Dobby serving an overly sumptuous meal. Echo had been seated next to Tabitha to avert any impending disasters, but the child had only leaned closer to Echo when Dobby approached a bit too close for her comfort.

Dobby now sat patiently and worriedly in one of the chairs in his Master Sir's study. He looked dwarfed in the chair as his thin legs dangled over the edge. His wide, green eyes watched both his employers with trepidation.

"Dobby," began Severus. "As I'm sure you've noted, our guest, Tabitha is afraid of house elfs."

Dobby nodded. "Me is not knowing why, Master Sir, but Dobby promises not to go near little one..."

Severus held up a hand to stop what promised to be a stream of worried babbling. "That's not necessary, Dobby. The children have already taken it upon themselves to assure Tabitha that you are a friendly and good elf. I have no doubt they will have continued success." Dobby beamed brightly.

"We asked you to meet with us, Dobby," continued Echo, "because we have strong reason to believe that Tabitha was not only abused by her parents, but..."

Severus suddenly interrupted. "Did you find out who her family is, Echo?"

"Lord and Lady Lockhart." A frown and a scowl warred on her husband's features. "Her uncle is Gilderoy Lockhart."

"Merlin's thunder!" cursed Severus. "That flouncing idiot has family?"

"Quiet, Severus," admonished Echo. "Tabitha is actually quite fond of Gilderoy, not as he once was, but as he is now, and I promised her that we'd take her to visit him." Severus grimaced, looking decidedly green at such a prospect.

"So the nitwit had a brother, did he?" sighed Severus.

"So it seems, and neither he nor his wife seem to even want their child. They make her call them Master and Mistress, and she lives in the kitchen with their house elf, Gipple." Echo paused, glancing worriedly at Dobby who had been listening to every word. "It appears that her parents greatest abuse is verbal and neglect. Gipple is the one that physically abuses her." This last was said directly to Dobby since Severus had that knowledge already. It still made him ill.

Dobby's reaction, a snarl of incredible, yet very restrained anger, surprised both adults. "No elf raises hand to children! Is against most basic law - no youngling life is to be harmed by elfin hands." The house elf's green eyes burned as he looked boldly at his employers. "We elfs will die before causing such harm. Is Master Sir wanting Dobby to punish this Gipple?"

Severus was a bit taken aback by the fierceness in the small elf's gaze and he had no doubt that if he gave Dobby leave to, he would kill Gipple. Severus knew that house elfs were powerful, but he had never been this close to their power before and he found it unnerving, yet comforting that it was used for his family.

"No, no that's not necessary, Dobby," the Potions Master said with a thread of gratefulness in his tone. "What we would like you to do," his voice dropped to Slytherin, conspiratorial tones, "is to go to this Gipple and gather any information you can in regards to Tabitha's treatment of her." Dobby nodded, his head bobbling dangerously on his thin neck. "Most important, though, would be to find a certificate of birth. We need to know if Tabitha was given a proper name by her parents."

"Dobby is pleased to help Master and Mistress. Is getting information, but is needing two days. Is all right, Master Sir?" Dobby had slid from the chair and his feet slapped to the floor.

"If you need longer..." offered Severus.

Dobby held up a hand showing two fingers. "Dobby is needing only two days, Master Sir." He then wrung his hands worriedly. "Is Family going to be fine during Dobby's absence?"

Echo smiled, "We'll be fine, Dobby, so don't worry. And, if you need help with anything, let us know."

With a grin of acknowledgment, and a nod, the house elf was gone.

Much later, that same evening, or rather... early in the morning:

Cravings. Severus Snape understood cravings, but he hated them. They weren't bad at the beginning of Echo's pregnancy and if he couldn't find precisely what his wife wanted, sometimes he could substitute. Now, in her eighth month of pregnancy, Echo's cravings were precise and there was no substitution allowed or else he'd be saddled with mood swings that would make him wish for a simple Crucio curse. It didn't help that Lucius would just laugh, knowingly. What an insufferable git!

Then, of course, there were those perfectly sublime moments when Echo would curl up against him as she contemplated the small life growing within her body. It was those moments that would make him forget the moody, oftentimes weepy creature, and would remind him of the woman he'd fallen in love with.

Severus Snape desperately was hoping there'd be one of those sublime moments after running this errand. It was three in the morning and here he was striding down Diagon Alley to Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. When he reached the store front, he passed it and went down the narrow alley to a staircase that led to the apartment that Fred and George lived in over their shop. At least there is one consolation, he thought as an evil smirk graced his shadowed features, I won't be the only one suffering from a lack of sleep this night. Briskly he knocked on the door, hoping he had shocked awake one or both of the Weasley twins.

For a moment, all was silent and then from the other side of the door he heard a loud thump, a few imprecations of anger, and then the door opened slightly and a red head stuck out in the narrow opening.

Fred Weasley glowered sleepily at the wizard whom he'd had the misfortune (in other words, a dozen detentions of scrubbing cauldrons and tiny potion bottles) after once dubbing his teacher 'the snakey git'. Of course, there was no worry of detentions anymore, so Fred felt perfectly justified in snapping out, "Penny Whistles, Sugar Quills, Licorice Wands, or Canary Creams, professor?"

"Neither, Mr. Weasley. My wife requires a half pound of your Giggling Caramels."

Fred opened the door wider, to allow Severus inside. George was snoring softly in one of the overstuffed, mis-matched chairs in their small living room. Fred whacked his twin on the back of his head. He grinned darkly.

"George!"

"I'm trying to sleep, Fred!" grumbled George.

"Then sleep walk downstairs and get the professor a half pound of Giggling Caramels."

"Can we charge him double?"

Fred didn't answer as George lifted himself from the chair and shuffled barefoot down the stairs to the shop. Fred didn't indulge in any idle chatter either since Severus Snape was not known for inanity. Especially not at 3am. A glance at the cuckoo clock hanging over the mantle caused Fred's eyes to widen momentarily as a nearly suicidal urge uncoiled within him to smile and chat idly with the Potions Master. A quick look at the tall man, who scowled, in a long, comfortable habit, down at the slim twin made Fred gulp. He felt like a flobberworm suddenly.

From the shop there came another curse as George ran into something. A few minutes later he returned, limping on his left foot. He sort of stumbled towards Severus, smashed the bag of candy against the man's chest and wandered, sleepily, to his bedroom.

Severus caught the bag before its contents could fall everywhere. Fred sighed, and yawned. "Sir, do you have any idea how much longer your wife is going to have these late night cravings?"

The father-to-be gave the young man a long, suffering look, "The Healer told us they would end around the beginning of the third trimester." Severus rolled his eyes as that time had passed. "I wish I knew the answer, Mr. Weasley. I truly wish I knew."

Severus dropped a few sickles on the nearby table since Fred, with a bit of a whimper, was already returning to his bedroom.

The Potions Master magically locked the door to the twins abode, and then disappeared back into the shadows until he could Apparate back to Fairwinds.


A very pregnant Echo sat up in the bed, propped up with several pillows. She was currently rooting around in the bag of Giggling Caramels while her husband was tiredly undressing himself in the hopes he'd be asleep very soon. Popping a caramel into her mouth, it elicited the magical giggle and she slapped her hand over her mouth.

"These are horrid!" grimaced Echo.

Severus, with only his black silk pyjama bottoms on, stared in dismay at his wife as she tossed the bag at the end of the bed. He looked into Echo's deep blue eyes and could see the tears that were waiting to be shed if he didn't say what he longed NOT to say.

With as even a tone as he could manage, Severus asked, "Is there something else that you'd like me to get for you, my dear?"

"Yes, Severus. Would you hold me?" A tear splashed onto her extended belly. "I feel so fat."

Severus climbed into the bed next to Echo and arranged himself so they were both comfortable. It allowed him to rest a hand on his wife's abdomen so he could feel the stirring of his son or daughter.

"You didn't say anything," Echo pouted accusingly.

"I couldn't because I was basking in the aura of my lovely wife and child." His words were like warm honey, and any other time, Echo would have melted into his arms as she fell under the spell of his voice.

Echo burst into tears and buried her face in Severus' shoulder. "I'm so tired of being pregnant, Severus!"

"I understand..." the second he spoke those fatal words, he bowed his head, accepting whatever Echo might throw at him.

"You DON'T understand!" she shouted, pulling out of his embrace, somewhat awkwardly. "Until you can carry a baby like this, and your bladder has been squeezed to the size of a knut, don't you dare to pretend you understand!" Echo wanted to leave the bed, and possibly stomp out of the bedroom, but the aforementioned bladder, and her very pregnant form, made that impossible.

Severus didn't say anything as he got up and walked around the bed to help Echo to stand. He was going to help her into the bathroom, but she slapped his hands away as she waddled into the bathroom on her own. With a great sigh- he was doing that a lot these days- he seated himself on the edge of the bed and waited for the inevitable.

A few minutes passed and then he heard a plaintive voice calling from the bathroom. "Severus? Please help me?"