Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 21

Albus Dumbledore and Minerva McGonagall were nearly running as they made their way to Maternity Ward of St. Mungos. Albus was the first to see Severus who was still in his dressing gown, black silk pyjamas, and at least a pair of hospital slippers. The young man was white-faced, and instead of his usual pacing, he was standing still, staring at the door that separated himself from his wife.

"My boy!" cried Albus as he embraced the young wizard.

"Father!" gasped Severus, jerking from his stupor. He turned to embrace the older man tightly. He then pulled away abruptly and stared again at the door. Severus' hands shook and he would have fallen to his knees if Albus had not caught him. Minerva was quickly at his other side and they helped him over to a chair. Albus brushed Severus hair back from his face, then conjured a cool cloth that he patted over the very pale man's face.

"Lucius Floo called us," Minerva said softly. She, too, glanced worriedly at the door to the birthing room.

"Harry?" Severus glanced up, stricken.

"Harry and the children are all still asleep, Severus. Lucius is watching over them, so don't worry," assured Albus. "Can you tell us if Echo is all right?" he asked tentatively.

Severus nodded, then began to speak, "Tabitha. She had a nightmare. I put her back to bed and went to our room, and Echo..." he dropped his head into his hands. "I didn't even see it. Not at first."

"Severus, drink." Minerva held a glass of water to the distraught man. He tried to grip the glass, but his hands were still shaking too much. Minerva held the glass to his lips and he took several swallows before turning his head away. "I'm going to find a Calming Potion. Stay with him, Albus," she ordered as she briskly left the waiting area.

Severus began to talk again, unaware that Minerva had left them. "Echo just said that something was wrong and then I saw it, Albus. Blood. Everywhere. And, I couldn't move. I didn't even see that Echo was starting to faint... oh Merlin, Albus! What if I killed them?"

"Hush now!" Albus said harshly. He didn't know what the status was of Echo and whether or not the baby had survived, but he would not let his boy fall into self-recrimination. "You got Echo to hospital, my boy. Now, tell me, how is she?"

Minerva arrived just at that moment and thrust the Calming Potion at Severus. He drank it without hesitation and then took a deep breath as the potion began to settle his nerves.

"How is Echo?" asked Minerva, repeating her husband's question.

Severus shook his head. "I don't know. Healer Bell is with her, but no one has been able to tell me anything. I feel like it's been hours, but I know it hasn't been that long." He gripped the older wizard's hands desperately, imploring him silently to do something.

Albus patted Severus' hand and then rose from the chair he'd sat in beside the Potions Master. Gently disengaging from the younger man's grip, he patted Severus' shoulder and then left the waiting area.

Minerva took the seat her husband vacated. "I can't lose her, Minerva," Severus' words were tight with fear and sorrow and anger. The tears he could not shed in front of Albus now fell silently in front of the older witch. Minerva simply shifted and enfolded Severus into her embrace.

When Albus returned, some twenty minutes later, Severus was seated beside Minerva, his gaze straying to the insidious door of the birthing room. Minerva held onto his hand. With Albus was a young nurse who looked like the fear of Merlin had been put into her. Albus paused beside his wife and Severus, and watched, smugly satisfied, as the nurse bustled through the door and vanished into the birthing room.

Severus sat up straighter, hoping the nurse would return as quickly as she had vanished, but she did not. He glowered, preparing to breach the ward himself if someone didn't emerge to tell him what was going on. Just as he was about to stand, Healer Lauren Bell strode through the door.

The Healer wore surgical greens and as she approached Severus, she ended a Sterilisation Spell that had surrounded her. Her steel grey hair was disheveled, and Severus was not mistaken in the belief that the Healer had removed blood that stained her uniform before coming out to talk to him. She appeared grim.

Severus stood, fearing the worst. Albus stood very close to his side, his offer of support quiet.

"Mr. Snape," the Healer cracked a small smile. "Your wife is fine. She is asleep now, and resting. I'll let you in to see her in about an hour."

Severus let out the breath he hadn't been unaware he was holding. Grasping the ex-Headmaster's arm, he asked, "And, the baby?"

"Your son will be fine after we've oxygenated him for 48 hours. He's been transferred already to the Infant Care Unit. If you'd like, I'm sure you can go visit him, and then you can visit Echo."

Severus' face relaxed and he shook the Healer's hand vigorously. "Thank you so much, Healer Bell. Thank you!"

It was Minerva who asked, "What happened to Echo, Healer?"

"The placenta separated too early from the uterus. Besides causing the bleeding, it also caused the umbilical to get tangled." The Healer looked to Severus who was turning white again. "It's a very good thing you were awake and brought your wife so quickly, Mr. Snape." What she did not say, but Severus heard clearly, was that if he had not, he would have lost both his wife and his son.

"Did you say... son?" Severus asked, almost timidly.

Healer Bell smiled. "You have a beautiful son, Mr. Snape. Why don't you go and visit with him and get acquainted?"

The nurse that Albus had brought, touched Severus' arm lightly and smiled shyly. "If you'll follow me, Mr. Snape? I can show you where the ICU is."

With a small, somewhat dazed smile upon his lips, Severus followed the nurse docilely.

He had a son!


Dressed from head to toe in sterile white, Severus was led into the magically enhanced Infant Care Unit. There were only two other infants in the ward, attended by worried, doting parents. Severus gave a silent thanks to Merlin that his son would be ready to go home in two days.

"Over here, Mr. Snape," directed a young male nurse. He, like Severus, was also clad in sterile white robes.

The nurse directed the Potions Master towards a small crib that held his very young son. Surrounding the crib and baby was a transparent bubble that had an oily pearlescent sheen to it.

The nurse lightly touched the bubble. "Oxygen, sir. Your son was deprived of oxygen during the delivery, but, as you can see by his growing pink colour, he's responding very well."

Severus peered down through the bubble at his tiny son. Mentally he counted the ten fingers and wondered, since they were covered, if he had ten, perfectly formed toes, as well.

"Are they always that small?" Severus asked in wonder, not once considering how silly the question might be.

The nurse chuckled softly, "They're all small, sir. Your son is perfectly average at 8 pounds 3 ounces and thirteen inches. Ten fingers, ten toes, and blue eyes."

Severus glanced up at the nurse. "Like my wife's?"

The nurse patted his shoulder. "There's a rocking chair, sir. You can sit beside him and get to know your son."

The nurse drifted away and Severus looked down at his son. He cautiously touched the oxygen bubble, feeling as though his heart might break if he couldn't hold the small baby soon.

"Hello, little one," he spoke very softly, not even caring that normally he might feel a bit foolish speaking so to someone who couldn't even answer him. Turning briefly to the rocker, he took out his wand and brought it closer to his son's crib. Severus seated himself and rocked forward to get a better look at his child.

"You gave your mother and I quite a scare, but..." a lump suddenly formed in his throat and Severus bowed his head. The tears were gone, now, but his dark eyes glistened as he lifted his head. "Your big brother is asleep at the moment, just as you are, but he is going to be so very excited to meet you. Harry is the kindest, most loving child, little one. You couldn't ask for a better big brother than him."

Severus went silent as he watched his son - his SON! - breathe. His tiny baby's chest rose, up and down, as his fists were curled and up by his soft, pinkening cheeks. Severus yearned to hold his son in his arms. Thinking of the two days he would have to wait seemed like an eternity. He touched the bubble again and smiled as his tiny son yawned in his sleep.

"Mr. Snape? Wake up, Mr. Snape." A firm hand rested on his shoulder as Severus raised his head from his arms. Blinking, he found that he had fallen asleep against the crib that held his child.

"Yes?" he asked, still feeling a bit disoriented.

It was the nurse in charge of the ICU. He smiled down at Severus and gave him a glass of water. "Healer Bell sent a message that your wife is awake."

"Echo!" Severus rose quickly to his feet, and with a last look at his son, he touched his fingers to his lips, and then touched the oxygen bubble. He then strode from the Infant Care Unit and back to Maternity and to his wife's birthing room.


Severus stopped short in the doorway. The room was decorated in subdued colours with a comfortable bed and a very homey quilt covering Echo. She was tired and still looked ashy pale, but the warmth was returning to her cheeks. As soon as Echo smiled at him, Severus went to her side and gingerly took her into his embrace.

Echo kissed his cheeks, and then, so briefly, his mouth, before asking anxiously, "You've seen him, Severus? Is he...? Is he...?"

Severus smiled as he cupped Echo's hands in his. "He is perfect, my Beauty. You did so very well."

Echo let out a breath of relief and leaned back upon the fluffed up pillows. "Healer Bell said I could see him tomorrow. Could we name him tomorrow, Severus?"

He nodded, and leaned over to kiss Echo's cheeks. For a long moment, he remained in place, with his cheek against his wife's as he gave silent thanks to Merlin for keeping both his wife and son safe.

Minutes later Healer Bell knocked lightly upon the door and then walked in. "I just looked in upon your son and he is doing very well, Mrs. Snape." She then glanced at Severus. "Nurse Ondre tells me you got a bit of rest, Mr. Snape."

Severus only nodded. The Healer walked the rest of the way into the room after closing the door with a wave of her wand. Her smile faded and was replaced by her very business-like facade.

"What is it?" asked Severus tautly.

"Mrs. Snape, Mr. Snape..." she began, then paused, "You had a severe placental abruption and in the distress your son became entangled in his umbilical cord. Once we were able to stabilise your son, we tried to stop the bleeding but were unable to when we found further damage to your uterus. We had no choice but to perform a hysterectomy." The Healer stopped talking, allowing what she was saying to sink in.

Severus asked tentatively, "Did the Abortive Curse that her ex-husband placed upon my wife do this, Healer?"

"Even though we removed it, it is possible it might have contributed to the complications. There's just no way to really tell at this point," the Healer replied sadly.

Tears glistened at the corners of Echo's eyes and her hands pressed protectively over her sore belly. "But, why? Why did you have to...?" she asked very softly.

"Mrs. Snape, you would have bled to death if we hadn't," the Healer replied gently, but firmly.

Echo looked to her husband, and burst into tears. "Severus, I'm so sorry! It's all my fault!"

Taking her face into his hands, Severus gently wiped at his wife's tears with his thumbs. His dark eyes looked into her deep blue ones and he spoke quietly, "This is not your fault. I have you and our son, Beauty. We are so very blessed because we also have Harry, and we have Tabitha." He kissed her tears, and her cheeks, and then finished by saying, "And, my love, we have each other."

Echo slipped her arms around Severus and holding tightly to him, she wept.


Two days later Lucius arrived at St. Mungos with Harry and Tabitha in tow. Sophie, much to her annoyance, had to stay at home with Draco who had shortened his visit to the Grangers with Hermione, to help his father with the three youngsters.

Harry held tightly to Lucius' hand as they made their way to the Maternity Ward. Tabitha, looking slightly confused as to why she'd been allowed to visit, walked quietly on the other side of Lucius, her attention more inward than upon their surroundings.

With a knock upon a door in the ward, Lucius warily opened it partway, then, with a smile, opened it all the way and greeted his friends. Harry hung back with Tabitha.

"You're looking quite radiant, dear lady," complimented Lucius as he bent to kiss her cheek.

Echo smiled. "Thank you, Lucius. And thank you so much for taking care of the children during all of this."

Lucius waved his hand at her worry. "Draco came to help and we've had a fine old time, the four of us."

Harry finally inched forward towards his mother. He recalled what his father had told him the morning after his brother was born.

Severus had come home a few hours after he'd visited Echo for a change of clothing and to let Harry know about his mother, and new baby brother. The three children had had breakfast, at which time Lucius had told them that Echo and Severus were at the hospital. When Harry had seen his father come through the Floo, he'd practically launched himself at his father, latching onto him and unprepared to let go.

Severus, although terribly tired, had dropped to the sofa and held onto his son for several long minutes. It was Harry that pulled away so he could look into his father's eyes.

"Is mum all right?" he asked softly. Severus looked deeply into the emerald green eyes of his child and suppressed a shiver as he saw that Harry would not be accepting any half-truths.

Taking a deep breath, Severus replied, "Your mum is doing just fine, and so is your little brother." Severus smiled partially at that before continuing, "Your mum had a very difficult time, Harry. We almost lost them both..." Severus felt that horrid lump again, and was consoled as Harry hugged him strongly, comfortingly.

"But, we didn't, did we, dad." The statement was said as much to comfort himself, as it was to comfort his father.

"No, we didn't," agreed Severus.

"But...?"

Severus couldn't immediately reply. How had his son become so perceptive? Lucius didn't even know what the Healer had told him and Echo. "Your mum..." he paused, not really knowing what to say, but he forged ahead, "...the... the damage... your mum isn't going to be able to have anymore babies."

Harry watched in silence as his father's black eyes glistened and then one tear escaped. Harry brushed at the errant tear and whispered, "Please don't cry, daddy." The little boy, Severus' wonderful son, put on a brave smile and said, "I've got a little brother!"

Severus clasped his son close, holding him tightly as a few more tears slipped from his eyes. He smiled as he told his child, "I love you so much, Harry."

So Harry knew his mother was fragile and in approaching her carefully, he wanted to be sure he wouldn't be hurting her. He slipped his hand into hers and squeezed softly.

"You look really pretty, mum," he spoke shyly.

Echo patted an area of her bed. "Come up here, sweetheart!"

Happy to be invited, Harry climbed up and was surprised when Echo wrapped her arms around him, cuddling him close. "I have missed you so much, Harry!"

"I missed you, too, mum." He blushed as his mother kissed his cheeks. He then looked over to Tabitha who still appeared confused and a little lost at being amongst this family gathering. "Tabby missed you, too, mum."

Echo smiled at the little girl who gave her a hesitant smile in return before stepping closer to Echo's bed. "Will you come up, Tabitha?"

With an eager nod, Tabitha climbed up beside Harry. She was also surprised to find herself hugged briefly. She asked, "Will you and Severus get to come home soon?"

"Just one more day, and then we'll all come back home." Echo kissed Tabitha's forehead. When she looked up, she caught her husband's eye. Severus was watching his wife with Harry and Tabitha and felt that all was almost right with the world. Only one thing was miss...

"Mr. and Mrs. Snape?" Nurse Odre from the Infant Care Unit came into the birthing room. In his arms was a small, wrapped bundle. "I have someone here who is anxious to be with his family." The young wizard brought the baby over to Echo who held out her arms for her son. She had been permitted very short visits during her recovery to the ICU, but she had not, yet, been able to hold her son.

Tears glistened in her deep blue eyes as Echo cradled her beloved son in her arms. While everyone gathered closer to Echo and the newest addition to the Snape family, Nurse Odre slipped out of the room and closed the door quietly behind him.

After several long minutes, Harry piped up with the most important question, "What's my little brother's name?"

Echo handed their son over to Severus who was holding his son for the first time since he was born. Deep blue eyes looked boldly up at his father as grasping fingers of one hand latched onto his father's long index finger.

"Your little brother's name, Harry, is Nikolas Alexander Snape."

"Wow!" gasped Harry as he precariously rose up on his knees on the edge of his mother's bed so he could look down at Nikolas. "That's a lot of name." Harry smiled down at the small baby who yawned, and then settled his eyes upon his big brother's gaze. Harry used his index finger to gently stroke his brother's cheek. "Hi, Nikolas. I'm your big brother, Harry."