Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 24

Echo, holding Nikolas, Severus, and Tabitha between them waited somewhat patiently in the main office of the Wizarding Childrens Services department at the Ministry. Since Echo's hand were full holding her infant son, Tabitha's hand had slipped, nervously, some time ago, into Severus' hand.

Just when Severus was about to get up and look for someone, a short man with thinning, brown hair bustled into the office. The hem of his tweed robes caught on the corner of a filing cabinet and he yanked it away unthinkingly.

"My apologies, Mr. and Mrs. Snape," he cleared the surface of the desk and then dropped more parchment and files on top of the cleared space. He looked up and smiled. "Daniel Pattalusci, head of WCS."

Echo smiled wanly, and Severus just scowled at the short man seating himself.

"I suppose you can explain this letter," Severus remarked sharply as he thrust an official looking letter at Daniel. Daniel snatched up the letter, scanned it, then half-smiled apologetically. Severus' fingers itched for the wand that remained up his right sleeve. Tabitha's hand gripped his left even tighter.

"Ah! Yes, well..."

"We were told that Gilderoy Lockhart was found unfit and we could adopt Tabitha," Echo interjected coldly.

"Oh! He is! That's been thoroughly investigated. Charming wizard, but completely unable to take care of a child. It's just..."

"Explain this 'complication' you mention in your letter, sir," Although Severus voiced no threat, his unspoken threat was clear in his tone.

Daniel began nervously sifting through his paperwork, avoiding Severus' glare.

"Well, it's come to my attention... which is why I was brought in... although had I known earlier when you adopted Harry Potter..."

"Harry is my biological son," Severus snapped dryly. "The adoption was null and void when that was discovered."

"Uhm, yes. So it is. Which is why, I suppose, when earlier knowledge was discovered that..."

Severus had lost his temper and finally ground out, "Quit stammering and spit it out, man!"

Nikolas let out a small wail and Tabitha gripped Severus hand harder.

Daniel's jaw dropped, and then his eyes narrowed. "You're a Death Eater, Mr. Snape," he declared in his own steely voice. "As such, the WCS has declared you unfit as a parent. You cannot..."

Severus had gently disengaged his left hand from Tabitha's and rose to his full, intimidating height. Daniel watched, a bit nervously, as the wizard unbuttoned his cuff, rolled up his outer coat sleeve, and then the inner shirt sleeve that covered his left forearm. He then shoved his forearm towards the short man, his hand tightly fisted.

Daniel looked down upon the bare forearm. The skin was pale and dusted lightly with black hairs. Had there been a Dark Mark upon that skin, it would have been like a shining black beacon of guilt.

"I... I... I..." the head of WCS stammered uselessly.

Slowly Severus returned his sleeves back into place and sat down. "If you will take a closer look at my son's file, which I can see, right there," Severus nodded sharply toward a worn file. "You will find letters from Albus Dumbledore, Alastor Moody, Arthur and Molly Weasley, and Minerva McGonagall. Alastor Moody was quite convinced of my guilt for some years until we fought together at the Battle of Riddle Cemetery. As you can see by his letter, though, that is no longer the case. All of them vouched for my qualities as a parent to Harry before it was discovered he was my biological son."

Daniel had sifted through the paperwork until he opened the indicated file and retrieved the letters. Just by briefly skimming them, he knew the wizard before him was telling the truth.

Echo spoke up since it appeared that the head of the WCS was not ready to speak, yet. "I have seen my husband with Harry and with Tabitha, and with Lucius' daughter Sophie, and he's been good with them all. He had a reputation as a very strict teacher, but his record of no fatalities during his tenure at Hogwarts speaks for itself. His students, not just his Slytherins, would gladly stand up for him, if you require further proof of Severus' qualities as a parent."

Echo rose, then, and nodded quickly at Severus to follow her. "We expect Tabitha's papers by the end of this week, Mr. Pattalusci. If we do not have them, I guarantee that on Monday, the Ministry will be flooded with letters and witches and wizards who will vouch for my husband. Good day, sir."

Echo spun out the door. Severus smirked at his retreating wife, took Tabitha by the hand, and followed Echo.

For several, very long minutes Daniel Pattalusci sat at his desk with his jaw bobbling up and down. He finally clicked it shut, and began to read the letters from Severus Snape's colleagues. With a sigh, he summoned parchment and his quill and began to write.


"Harry... you're climbing too high," warned Tabitha. She stood on the ground beneath a magnificent English oak in the backyard of Fairwinds. Harry was in the topmost branches and was still climbing.

"I'm fine!" he declared happily.

"Severus is going to spit slugs if you fall," she warned a bit firmer this time.

"Really?" asked Harry, stopping his climb. "I'd like to see that!" he chuckled.

"No you wouldn't! Harry! Please," she pleaded. "Just come down before you get hurt!"

Harry glared down at Tabitha, and then he shrugged. "All right," he replied with resignation. Slowly he began to climb back down, but he really only managed a few inches. He looked to his left, then to his right before looking down at his feet. A branch below, that he'd passed by earlier appeared to be further away then it should have been. He tried stepping down to it, but his foot wouldn't reach.

After watching Harry for several minutes, Tabitha called back upwards, "Harry? What's wrong?"

"I don't know!" He looked all around and shifted a bit to the right but that was no better than before. "Is this a magic tree? All the branches moved... I think! I can't get down, Tabby!"

"Don't you move, Harry! I'm getting Severus!"

"I want down!" wailed Harry worriedly.

"We'll get you down, but you can't move! Okay?" She watched in frustration as Harry shifted again and tried to step down to another branch. "Harry Snape! Don't you move again! Do you hear me?" Tabitha ordered. Harry didn't reply, but nodded his head.

Tabitha broke into a run as she was several yards from the back door to the house. Upon reaching the door, she pushed through and headed straight for Severus' study. When she opened the door and didn't see him, she headed for the narrow staircase that led down to the lab.

Finally, after what felt like hours of running, she breathlessly pushed open the potions lab door and tried to speak. She was so winded that she couldn't get up enough breath to talk.

Severus, Lucius, and Draco all looked up in alarm as the lab door opened. Draco, startled, dropped three empty bottles he'd been carrying from the storeroom. As Severus abandoned his potion to stride over to Tabitha, Lucius cast a Stasis Spell upon it.

"What's wrong?" Severus asked as he Transfigured a stool into a small chair and led Tabitha over to it.

Tabitha started to sit, but then she grasped Severus' sleeves. "It's Harry! H-h-he's stuck... in the... tree!"

Severus ordered Draco to look after Tabitha, and then he ran from the lab, through the house, and out into the backyard. He didn't know that he was being followed by Lucius, Draco, and Tabitha.


Harry had called after Tabitha not to leave, but apparently she hadn't heard him. He tried to stay still, but he was starting to slip. He shifted to get a better grip and to his horror he did slip! A fortuitous scrambling of his legs and his hands reaching out to grip anything stopped him before he'd really fallen any great distance. He'd hit the long branch he'd been trying to step upon before he decided he was stuck.

Now that he felt a bit more secure, Harry figured that maybe he wasn't really stuck at all. Carefully he turned, studied the branches all around him, and let his mind calculate a way down. He smiled, rather sure of himself and half scooted to his right, up just a little, making his way toward what appeared to be a rather solid branch. If he could lower himself to sitting on that branch, he was sure he'd make it down quite safely.

Severus had warned Harry before about climbing the oak tree. It was a tempting tree for any young boy to climb with all its many branches and gnarled roots. However, it was old. Severus had conceded that Harry could climb the oak, but he was never to go higher than two feet from the ground - a place on the tree where the lower branches were thick and very sturdy. Harry had balked at that until Severus had put up a swing for Harry, which his son did really like. But, the tree was so high, and had such twisty, interesting branches, the little boy just couldn't help himself.

Once he'd climbed past what his father had denoted as the safety mark, Harry had felt very sure of himself. Climbing was easy, exhilarating, and just a bit annoying with Tabitha on the ground telling him to come back down.

Harry had reached a point in his climbing where he could feel the breeze stirring the branches. It was a thrill, but with Tabitha's constant reminder of the danger, that thrill had waned quickly.

As Harry slowly descended, that surety he had when he'd been climbing was back. The breeze stirred the branches and he felt their gentle wave, but he didn't feel scared at all.

He found the branch he wanted and stepped upon it, settling his weight on it. He didn't notice that this branch wasn't like the others. The bark was brittle, dry, and cracked in some places. Although dozens of smaller branches sprouted from it, there were no leaves upon them. There were just so many leaves elsewhere on the tree, that Harry's mind gave this particular branch no thought. Although it wasn't as thick or as sturdy looking as the lower branches, Harry was sure that it would support him.

CRACK!


Severus was still some distance from the oak tree and he slowed, looking upward, scanning the many branches for sign of his son. He couldn't see anything and jogged a bit closer. He still couldn't see Harry up in the tree.

Out of the furthest corner of his eye, something didn't seem right. Looking down, Severus heart froze in his chest as he saw a bent lump on the grassy ground beneath the tree. Across the lump was a long branch, obviously dead.

"Oh Merlin, no! Harry!" Severus broke into a run that soon had him at Harry's side where he knelt to examine his child.

Harry was knocked out cold. There were several minor cuts on his face and arm, probably received as he fell out of the tree. His right arm was so awkwardly bent, it was obviously broken. The fallen branch lay over the arm. Harry's nose also bled copiously.

When Lucius arrived he removed the long branch. "What potions do you need, Severus?"

Severus checked his hidden pockets and found a headache remedy that he didn't use, a Calming Potion, a Pain Reliever Grade 1, and a phial of Blood Replenisher. "I need another phial of Blood Replenisher, Bone Stasis, and another Grade 1 Pain Reliever."

Lucius ran up to the back door where he'd be better able to summon the correct potions.

Severus was running a diagnosis and found that the nose was broken along with the right arm, and along with the various cuts, there were several bruises. The worst bruise was located at the base of Harry's spine where he had no doubt landed. Finally, there was a bump on the back of his head, but fortunately there was no sign of concussion.

Now that it was safe to do so, Severus Ennervated his son. Harry, upon regaining consciousness, let out a keening wail as the pain of all his injuries blossomed across his body. Tears sprang to his eyes and he tried to get up, but his father gently restrained him.

"I h-h-hurt, daddy!"

"Hush, child. You'll be all right." Severus brought the phial of pain reliever to Harry's lips and steadied it as he drank.

Harry let out a sigh as most of the pain faded to a dull roar. "I'm sorry, daddy," he whimpered.

"Shh," Severus hushed softly as he touched his son's cheeks and forehead with the back of his hand. There was a slight flush, but no real fever. He began to close the cuts. Although he'd stopped the blood flow from the broken nose, he'd need Healer Lya Saroyan's expertise or Harry would wind up with his nose.

Lucius returned with the needed potions and handed them to Severus. Severus gave Harry the additional Pain Relieving Potion which sent Harry into a very light sleep. Blood Replenisher helped to stabilise Harry as did the Bone Stasis. The Bone Stasis Potion would not heal the broken bones, but it would prevent further damage until Severus could get Harry to his Healer.

Severus, carrying Harry in his arms, Lucius behind him, and Draco holding Tabitha's hand, were all met by Echo at the back door. "I Floo called Healer Saroyan. She'll meet you and Harry at St. Mungo's." Echo lightly touched her older son's forehead in worry. Stepping out of the way, she walked slightly behind Severus and Harry.

"How bad is it, Severus?" she asked quietly.

"A broken arm and nose," recited Severus. "I closed all the cuts, but the bruises have yet to be treated. He landed on his tailbone and has a pretty bad one there. Lastly, a bump on the head, but no sign of a concussion."

Lucius gathered a handful of Floo Powder and threw it in. "St. Mungo's Children's Ward - Emergency!"

Green flames burst into existence in the empty fireplace and Severus stepped through.

Draco looked down as Tabitha tugged on his hand. "I want to go!"

Draco glanced over at Echo. "Should I take her, Echo?" he asked.

"Please?" begged Tabitha.

Echo nodded. "Go ahead. I'll come in an hour to relieve you after I've fed Nikolas."

After tossing in more Floo powder, Draco and Tabitha vanished into the green flames.

Some minutes later, after getting directions from a receptionist, Draco and Tabitha were headed for the Children's Ward to look for Severus and Harry. Draco was a bit surprised to see a very worried, and slightly put out, Potions Master pacing outside one of the room doors.

"Uncle Severus?" Draco asked in concern. "Is Harry all right?"

Severus glared angrily at Draco who reared back involuntarily. Seeing his godson's hesitation, Severus quashed his anger, took a breath, and shook his head.

"I don't know. Healer Saroyan was examining him, the nurse brought in a few potions, and the next thing I know I'm being ushered out here into the corridor!" Severus' voice had steadily risen as he spoke.

Tabitha blinked at her sudden tears and let go of Draco so she could throw herself at Severus. "I'm sorry! I should have watched him better! I shouldn't have let Harry climb the tree so high!"

Severus hesitated only a moment before placing his arms around the girl that had her face buried against his abdomen. He patted Tabitha's back and then drew her over to a short row of chairs across the corridor from Harry's room. He sat down and held Tabitha by her arms.

"This isn't your fault, child. Harry's been determined to climb that tree as high as he possibly could for some time now and his temptation got the better of him." Tabitha sniffed and Severus conjured a handkerchief for her to wipe away her tears and blow her nose.

"He's not gonna die, is he?" she asked timidly.

Severus could not stop the quick, worried glance he threw at Harry's door before returning his attention to Tabitha. "No. We're not going to lose him."

Tabitha threw her arms around Severus' neck and he pulled her close. Her voice whispered into his ear, "I want Harry to be all right, daddy!"


Echo arrived in a little less than an hour and found that Severus had still not been allowed into Harry's room, nor had anyone come out to say how he was. Draco returned to Fairwinds and was replaced by Lucius who had left Sophie with her brother.

It was an hour after Echo's arrival when Healer Saroyan emerged from Harry's room. A quick glimpse of just darkness was all that Severus had before the door was shut again. The Healer smiled wearily.

"Harry's going to be just fine, Mr. Snape, Mrs. Snape. His arm is healing very well and it'll be as right as rain tomorrow. His nose isn't going to be the same as it was, I'm afraid. He smacked it very hard during his fall and although we repaired it as best as we could, he's still going to have a bit of a bump for the rest of his life." She smiled as she caught the quick twitch of Severus' hand to his own nose, which had been broken multiple times as a child.

"Can we see him, yet?" asked Echo as she held tightly to her husband's arm.

The Healer shook her head. "Let me address the other injuries and then I'll explain what's going on." Lya Saroyan ushered the family across the corridor to the chairs and they obediently sat as she remained standing.

"The cuts and bruises, for the most part, were minor. The bruise on his tailbone wasn't just the skin that got bruised, but the tailbone itself. He's going to be on a Bone Strengthener for the next three days and we have a salve to apply for the skin, also for the next three days. The spine is a very delicate structure in the human body, but in children, the bones are still flexible. Even so, no climbing, no flying, and if possible, keep the running to a minimum for the next three months. Harry may have a bit of a difficulty sitting comfortably, but just use Cushioning Charms to help."

Severus and Echo both nodded in agreement as the Healer spoke. It was when she was nearly finished, and took a deep breath that they froze in place.

"What I'm most worried about is that Harry banged his head, at least twice during his fall. That jarred his optic nerves and bruised the nerve to his right eye. At the moment, he's blind in that eye. His left eyesight is very blurry." Echo let out a gasp, and Severus hissed. "During our exam, Harry woke and became very agitated because he couldn't see. I had to place him under a Sleep Charm since I couldn't, yet, give him a Calming Potion."

"Will his eyesight recover?" asked Severus, thinking of how such a disability would impair Harry's learning and wielding of magic.

The Healer nodded, but did not smile. "It will heal, but Harry may sustain some damage to his sight, although slight. Until it heals, though, Harry's room needs to remain dark. The light is just too painful for him to tolerate." One last sigh from the Healer heralded more bad news and Echo grasped her husband's hands as he grasped hers. "Although Harry may need glasses or corrective occular magic, he cannot, ever get another serious head injury." The Healer eyed Harry's parents intently.

"What..?" Severus swallowed.

Healer Saroyan quietly explained, "Should Harry ever suffer another head injury, a serious head injury, he could go permanently blind."

There was quiet for a long moment before Severus said, a bit lamely, "He won't ever get to play Quidditch again."

Healer Saroyan shook her head 'no', and Echo leaned her cheek against her husband's shoulder.


Harry stayed a week in the hospital, in the dark, while his optic nerves and other injuries healed. His parents were the only ones allowed to visit and they brought books charmed to read to him to stave off most of the boredom.

It was the evening of his last day in the dark that Severus explained about the caution Harry would have to take from now on. Harry listened carefully, feeling a coldness deep inside himself.

"I'd go forever blind?" Harry asked warily.

"It would be permanent, Harry," Severus affirmed.

"So, that means, I have to always be careful?" Harry didn't quite understand how delicately his optic nerves were damaged and was almost afraid to turn or move his head at all.

Severus seemed to sense this and took Harry's hands in his. "The Healer explained that you'll be able to do just about anything a normal boy would do, but there are some things you'll either have to be very careful about, or you'll have to avoid certain activities."

By now, Severus was so very used to the dark room, he was able to perceive Harry's narrow eyed glance. "Do you mean there's some stuff I won't be able to do... anymore?" Severus simply nodded. "Like what?"

"Quidditch," Severus replied bluntly. Harry's mouth dropped open and his hands spasmodically squeezed his father's. "It is a very dangerous game, son," Severus explained patiently. "Head injuries are one of the top five injuries that occur, and that includes amateur games, such as at the Weasleys, and the games at Hogwarts."

Harry considered this information. He had often played Quidditch with the Weasleys and someone was always getting hurt. Harry, a very good flyer, and nimble, had been knocked more times than he could count from his broom. He also recalled one injury that had sent Ginny Weasley to St. Mungo's after she'd gotten hit in the eye by a Bludger.

"I guess..." he said slowly, "it wouldn't be too smart, then, would it?"

Severus shook his head. Harry then gave his father a slightly terrified look. "I won't ever be able to fly again!" Harry began breathing too fast and through frantic gasps pleaded, "No! I have to fly! Daddy? You know I have to... please!"

"Hush!" Severus admonished firmly. "Now, take a few breaths and stop jumping to conclusions."

"To whats?" frowned Harry as he tried to breathe a bit more smoothly.

"Conclusions. You're making assumptions based on few facts." That didn't seem to clear things up for Harry, so Severus forged ahead. "You will be able to fly, but you're going to need a more secure broom just for riding. You'll still need to be careful about falls, because Cushioning Charms can only help so much, but you are going to be able to keep flying."

Harry threw himself at his father, and wrapped his arms around Severus' neck. In his father's ear, his warm breath whispered, "I'm free when I fly, dad."

Severus patted Harry's back. "I know, son, I know." He then had Harry sit back down against his pillows. Draco wanted me to tell you, that as soon as you were ready, he wants to take you shopping for a new broom." He smiled at his son's own bright smile.

"Dad, what about my eyes, though? Now, I mean. It's still kinda blurry. Is that going to go away?"

Harry, who had not needed glasses after his mother's disguising glamours fell away, had gotten used to his perfect vision. The blurriness was disconcerting.

"We'll find out tomorrow, Harry."

"Okay." Harry scooted closer to his father until Severus pulled his little boy into his lap. It had been awhile since Harry had allowed such cuddling as he was getting older and didn't want anyone to think he was a baby.

With his ear against his father's chest, Harry was comforted by the steady beat of Severus heart. "Dad?"

"Hmmm?" rumbled Severus in reply as he gently rocked Harry.

"Am I still going to get punished for climbing too high?"

Severus noted the tone of worry and gently patted Harry's back. "I would say that after all of this you've quite learned your lesson, wouldn't you?" Harry's head nodded rapidly against his chest. Severus smiled, but it was tainted by the worrisome future he would face as his child grew up. Harry might not worry so much, but Severus knew that everytime Harry got hurt, Severus would worry about further damage to his son's eyesight.

"I do want you to understand something, though, Harry," began Severus.

"What's that, dad?"

"You scared me, and your mother, our entire family. However, when I saw you on the ground..." Harry could feel his father's heart begin to race as his embrace tightened ever so slightly. "You're the world to me, child. I think if ever I lost you, my heart would break in two. I make rules to keep you safe, not to punish you. Do you understand?"

Harry lifted his head so he could look up at his father's face. There was a tell-tale glistening in the oh-so-black eyes that was caught by the sliver of moonlight that glimmered through the curtains into the dark room.

"I'm so sorry, dad." Severus kissed his son's forehead, and Harry buried his head back against his father's chest.

"I just love you so much, Harry," he whispered. Severus felt his son's silent tears dampening his shirt. Patting the boy's back, he rested his chin upon Harry's head, never once stopping his rocking.


The next day Harry eagerly awaited the arrival of light in his hospital room and being able to go home. With Echo and Severus sitting on either side of his bed, the Healer slowly raised the lights in the room. Harry blinked at the growing brightness and every few seconds, the Healer would pause the lights and allow Harry to get used to the brightness. After twenty minutes, the artificial light was back to normal.

Healer Saroyan smiled, "That's really very good, Harry. Is there any pain?"

Warily, Harry shook his head back and forth. He didn't feel any pain or dizziness and was happy to say that all seemed well.

"Perfect. I'm going to do an eye exam now and see how the damage affected your sight."

The exam, somewhat similar to the Muggle eye exam, had Harry reading from a chart, and then looking through various floating lenses at a reading chart and a shapes chart. After what felt like hours to Harry, the Healer announced the verdict.

"This is really much better than I'd hoped for, Harry. You'll need glasses, but only until the final blurriness goes away, which will be in about three weeks. You will, however, experience a touch of blurriness when you, or your eyes get too tired. Usually, if you just close your eyes for an hour, you should be fine."

Harry grinned at his parents. Echo asked, "Is there anything else?"

The Healer nodded. "Light is still going to be bothersome, at times. Natural light more than magical. I think it would be best when you're outside that you wear a pair of glasses that shade your eyes and protect them from the light."

"I can go now?" asked Harry, hoping that was it.

Healer Saroyan laughed. "You can. Why don't you wait out in the corridor while I give your parents a few potions and such that you'll take for the next few days."

Anxious to be free, Harry scrambled off the bed and was out of the door in a flash.

Harry didn't have to wait long before his parents joined him and they were on their way. Down in St. Mungo's lobby, Echo kissed her son goodbye as she returned home to feed Nikolas. As for Harry and Severus, they had an appointment to pick up some sunglasses in Hogsmeade.


Tabitha had been waiting, seated in the living room front window seat, watching for the arrival of Harry. She had a book in her hands, but couldn't say whether or not she comprehended any of it. When the Floo whooshed into the familiar green flames, she stood abruptly, dropping her book to the floor. Hastily she bent to pick it up, just as Harry and Severus came through the Floo.

"Harry!" Tabitha cried out. She only hesitated a second before wrapping her arms around the small boy. "I've missed you so much! How are you? Do you always have to wear those glasses, now? I'm so sorry I left you in the tree by youself! Oh, Harry!"

Harry was a little caught off guard by Tabitha's effusive greeting, but he smiled, and patted her back just as his father had done so to him in hospital. Finally, she pulled away, but held onto his arms and examined him.

"You're glasses are rather nice," Tabitha said after she had looked Harry over.

Harry smiled. He was pleased with his new glasses. They were wire-rimmed pewter, more oval than round, and had a non-breakable charm built in. They were so light, he didn't even know they were there, half the time.

"Tabitha," Severus spoke up, interrupting the two children. "Don't you have some good news to share with Harry?"

Tabitha beamed. "Oh! Yes!" She spun away rapidly and was half of the way up the stairs when she ran back down. "Wait here, Harry!" The girl then spun away again and Severus cringed as she thumped rapidly all the way up the stairs and down the hallway to her room.

"Is it impossible for you children to walk up the stairs in this house?" he complained.

Harry snickered. "There's a rule, dad, that kids have to run everywhere, including up the stairs."

Severus narrowed his eyes and smirked down at his son as he crossed his arms over his chest, "I'd like to see you try that with the stairs at Hogwarts."

"Hmph!" Harry replied.

Echo emerged from the parlor, with Nikolas in her arms. Harry brightened, pleased to see his little brother. He jogged over to his mother and nuzzled the soft cheek causing little Nikolas to giggle and throw his hands about.

"Niko's missed me!" declared Harry with a smile to his mother.

"He certainly has, sweetheart," Echo agreed. "We've missed you, too."

"Where's Uncle Lucius and Sophie and Draco?" asked Harry, giving the living room a once over.

"They've gone to Diagon Alley but will be back right before dinner," promised Echo.

"Here it is!" shouted Tabitha from the top of the stairs. She was waving a parchment in her hand. Harry looked up and watched as Tabitha practically skipped down the stairs. She then halted in front of Harry, and then, suddenly shy, handed him the parchment.

A letter had arrived just after dinner at Fairwinds a few days after Harry had been in St. Mungo's. Poor Sophie had been chased around the living room by the rather aggressive Ministry owl and was screeching at the top of her lungs for her father to come and rescue her.

Lucius, who had been doing some studying in the library, ran out of there to find his daughter, now hiding behind the largest sofa. Above her, desperately trying to deliver the envelope in its bill, was a dark grey owl that was also screeching, despite its official burden.

Severus came out of the parlor, carrying Nikolas. He made a clicking noise, summoning the owl over to him while Lucius extricated Sophie from her hiding place. Shifting his young son to one arm, Severus snatched the envelope from the bird who then fluttered to rest upon the back of his favorite chair. With a sharp snap of his wrist, the envelope cracked loudly open. Within it was a very official looking letter from the Ministry.

Carrying his youngest son over to his chair, Severus ignored the large owl and seated himself so he could read the short missive.

Lucius, now holding Sophie in his arms to 'protect' her from the large owl, turned just in time to catch a slightly smug smile upon his friend's face.

"Good news, I take it?" asked Lucius.

"You'll see. Dobby!" called Severus.

The house elf popped into being in front of Severus. "What may Dobby be doing for Master Sir?" he asked.

"Gather my wife and Tabitha, and Draco into the living room, if you would, Dobby?"

Dobby popped away and soon Draco was coming down the stairs. He had been in the midst of preparing for an evening with Hermione and his tie was askew over his white linen shirt.

Echo and Tabitha had also been in the parlor and so emerged from the smaller room, both curious.

Just as Dobby was about to pop back to his kitchen full of dirty dishes, Severus stopped him. "Stay, if you would, Dobby?"

Dobby smiled, but blinked in curiosity. Severus handed Nikolas up to his wife who was now standing beside his chair. He beckoned Tabitha over.

"I have something to show you, my dear," he spoke in those silken tones that always commanded the attention of colleague, students, and even Death Eaters.

Tabitha moved closer to Severus and eyed the letter in his hand. "S-severus?" she asked.

"Tabitha, do you recall what you called me when we took Harry to the hospital?"

Tabitha's cheeks coloured with the memory. She had been mortified later when she realised she had addressed Severus as 'daddy'. She thought he might say something to her later, but it had never come up. A part of her had the small hope that maybe he hadn't quite heard her.

She only nodded miserably in reply. Maybe now Severus was going to tell her that she had no right to address him that way. But, why in front of everyone? Tabitha desperately wanted to vanish.

Very slyly Severus nudged her verbally, "If you please, child, you know that when I ask a question I require a verbal response."

Tabitha blinked a few times before gathering her courage and replied, so all could hear, "I called you 'daddy'."

Severus smiled warmly. "Welcome to the family, my daughter." Severus handed the letter which was Tabitha's official certificate of adoption to her. "You're official."

Tabitha only read the large letters at the top before breaking out into a bright and relieved grin. "It's real! You're my daddy!" She then turn slightly towards Echo, "and you're my mum!"

Harry grinned in delight and threw his arms around Tabitha. "I've got a big sister!"

Tabitha felt his squeeze around her waist and she squeezed her new little brother back. "Thank you, Harry. And, I'm really glad you're okay."


Severus Snape had faced his father at his drunkest. He'd even cleaned up after Tobias Snape. He'd faced some of the darkest, most insane wizards ever, witnessing some of their worst behavior. He'd stood before the Dark Lord countless times, and he had survived.

However, there was nothing on this magical Earth that could make him face his son's dirty nappies anymore. To his horror, he had even thrown up, once. How his wife managed to go near those vile things, he could not comprehend. Mothers must have some inborn mechanism that allowed them to stomach dirty nappies.

Regardless, after almost two months of "nappy horrors" Severus had had enough. He had even put his apprentice to work for a few days sending letters to inquire about nanny elfs (since he hadn't been able to bully Draco in changing a nappy or seven). There were many nanny elfs that were willing to bond with the Snape family, but Echo was adamant about wanting a free elf.

"Master," piped up Draco as he was reviewing the ingredients for Anti-Depression Potion he'd be brewing the next day. "Have you asked Dobby if he might know of any free nanny elfs?"

Severus' head snapped up from the contracts he was going over. "Dobby!" he remarked, wondering himself why he'd never thought of such a brilliant idea. "Draco, you've earned an extra day off this week. I shall speak to Dobby this evening."

Dobby sat on the edge of a chair, watching his feet dangle over the floor. He smiled as he watched his Master Sir pace the length of the study, then twisted his ears, in case he was in trouble.

Severus seated himself, finally, and stared at the house elf before him. "You do know we've been looking for a nanny elf, Dobby?"

Dobby's head bobbled and two of the hats he was wearing tumbled off his head. Severus caught them and handed them back.

"Echo is very intent upon finding one that is free, but such a search is proving to be more difficult then we thought." He paused before continuing. "Is it possible you could help us, Dobby?"

Dobby nodded. Then he shook his head. Then he nodded again. Severus scowled sharply and the house elf squeaked. "Master Sir, Dobby is been looking, too, but is not finding nanny elf. Dobby..." he paused awkwardly and twisted his ears. "Master Sir? Dobby is having idea, but Dobby is not sure..."

Severus stopped his house elf. "If you have someone in mind, please, do let me know."

Dobby smiled brightly and jumped off the chair. "Dobby is coming back. Wait, Master Sir!" With a pop the house elf was gone and Severus frowned, perplexed at what Dobby might have in mind.

It was only a few minutes before Dobby returned and with him was another house elf. This one  was more finely built than he was and was just a few inches shorter than him. The elf had large brown eyes and the very thin, downy white hair that was always the mark of a female elf. The female wore a hand knitted, simple, shapeless shift in many colours. She stood slightly behind Dobby and peeked over his shoulder at Severus.

Dobby took the female by the hand and coaxed her to stand beside him. "Master Sir, this be Tippi. Tippi, this be Master Sir Severus Snape."

Tippi, in a very charming manner, curtsied by bowing and lifting the hem of her shift a little bit. "Is being good to meet you, Sir," she greeted.

"And I, you, Tippi," Severus replied. He glanced questioningly at his house elf.

Dobby spoke up bluntly, "Tippi is soon to being Dobby's wife, Master Sir! She is free elf!" Dobby grinned.