Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 9

Harry bit into his turkey and cheese sandwich as he watched his father drinking his coffee. Usually his father only drank tea in the afternoons and evenings, but after working with Lucius, he had needed his caffeine.

"Dad?" His father turned his head just enough to settle his eyes upon his son. "What's happening to Uncle Lucius?"

Severus had helped his friend up the stairs to a guest bedroom where Lucius had fallen into a fitful, lucid, sleep.

"His memories have come back," his father replied simply.

"He looked like he was screaming before you two woke up. Was it that bad?" Harry picked up a pickle from the side of his plate and popped it into his mouth.

Severus put down his cup of coffee and leaned his elbows on the table as he regarded his son. "The memories of a lifetime are a hard thing to face all at once, Harry. Even with all I've done to make it easier, it is still a shock to the body."

"He won't die, will he?" There was a heavy tone of worry in Harry's voice.

Severus touched his son's cheek and smiled at him. "You've been such a help today." After a pause, he then answered his son's question, "There's nothing to worry about. Lucius won't die from this."

"So, is everything back the way it should be now that he's got his memories back?" Harry finished the last bite of his sandwich by sneaking it to Hector who was sitting underneath the table. Severus scowled and Harry flashed his father a cheeky grin.

"The memories are back, but he'll have to deal with the emotions they invoke. That's something that Lucius and I will deal with." What Severus didn't mention was that despite the unexpected help Alastor Moody had given in keeping the Aurors from storming the circus in search of Lucius, Arthur Weasely, as Minister of Magic, could not keep justice at bay. The Wizengamot wanted confirmation that Lucius Malfoy was alive, and sooner or later, the newspapers would let the wizarding world know that a Death Eater was still alive and free from justice.

Severus sipped uneasily at his lukewarm coffee as Harry went to wash his dish in the sink.


Meanwhile, in Diagon Alley...

Echo spent the morning in the little, empty shop, cleaning the dust and cobwebs away, scrubbing the shelves, and deciding where more shelves would go. She was interrupted a few times as curious shop owners peered in the windows, or came through the open door to see what the busy, pregnant woman was doing.

At noon, a pleasant witch, in comfortable, dowdy, earth-coloured robes, came into the shop bearing bunches of dried lavendar, sage, and mint that had been artfully woven together.

"Greetings, dearie!" said the witch as she bustled through the open door. "I brought you some herbs! Lavendar, sage, and mint, will help with the winter stuffiness and freshen the air in here.

Echo smiled and took the small basket of ribbon wrapped bundles. "Thank you! Do you work on Diagon Alley?"

"Edwina Smidge. Folks call me Winnie. I own the herbalist shop two doors down from you." Edwina stuck out a hand that had been stained and scarred by years of working with herbs.

Echo took the offered hand and shook it firmly. "Echo Snape. Very nice to meet you and thank you so much for the herbs. These will really help a lot."

Edwina looked around. "This is a nice space you have. What will you be offering, dear?"

"Books. My partner, Hermione, and I, will offer fiction, and non-fiction, including a section for children. We'll also have a small, research area that we hope to expand over the years." She chuckled slightly. "My son wants us to offer cream puffs, so we've decided on a small area that will offer tea and pastries."

"Oh my! You'll give dusty old Flourish and Blotts a headache or two," laughed Edwina. For a moment she walked around the shop, inspecting the shelves. When she saw a small insect, vanished it away. "I'd strongly suggest rubbing your shelves down with Santolina Oil to keep the insects away from the books. Oh! And and a Wreath of Prosperity and Luck. I have some lovely ones in my shop. The clove, cinnamon, and apple blossom are a favorite since it lends a wonderful aroma of fresh baked apple pie to the place."

"That sounds lovely, Winnie!" agreed Echo. "I'll bring Hermione by and we'll choose a few for the shop."

Edwina made her farewells and Echo began to place the herb bundles so that they were hanging from the windows. By the time she placed the last one, Hermione, finished with her classes for the day, had arrived.

Hermione had dressed in an old pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and a light jumper that she had knitted herself. It was a soft, grey, Merino wool. Her hair had been tightly plaited into two, slightly curving braids, that brushed her shoulders. Dozens of curl ends had escaped the braids and gave them a fuzzy look.

There wasn't much cleaning left to do, but Hermione dove in and soon both women were ready to put up more shelves, adjust the ones they had, and to fix up the small research corner, the children's section, the tea area, and the main counter that they had moved to the shop's center.

Hermione was busy with a set of blocks in the children's section when she asked, "Any thoughts, yet, on what to call the shop?"

Echo was arranging lighting for the research area. She shook her head. "I couldn't think of anything, but Harry did have a name he suggested in jest that I'm actually beginning to consider."

Hermione had unshrunk a number of fascinating toys for kids, and put her hands to her hips. "What did Harry suggest?"

"The Book Worm." Echo laughed. "You should see the drawing he made of a green worm, with large glasses named Lex."

"I like it!" enthused Hermione. "Lex... Lexicon. He'd be a great little mascot for the shop. The kids would really like him."

"We could have little stuffed toys of Lex, with a book... or... or a coupon for a book..."

Echo and Hermione sat down upon the wooden floor as marketing ideas took hold and they chattered back and forth.

A winter breeze whisked into the open door after an hour, ending the chat session for the two partners. Hermione stood, and then helped Echo to her feet. Echo swayed slightly and Hermione caught the witch by her shoulders.

Echo laughed, "My center of balance is changing." She patted her tummy.

Hermione hesitantly placed her palm upon Echo's belly. "What's it like?" The young woman's eyes shown with wonder, and just a tiny bit of envy.

"Besides morning sickness, and the other wonderful, body-changing consequences I'll have to deal with? It's very hard to describe. It feels like this is what I've wanted my whole life. To create a life with someone I love..." Echo blushed, causing Hermione to blush in embarrassment.

Echo hugged Hermione impulsively. "You'll know. Someday you'll know just what it's like."

"I'd better get back to Hogwarts," Hermione said. "They'll be serving dinner soon and if I'm not there, Draco's going to wonder where I went."

"Come get me at the library after your last class, Hermione." Echo summoned her robe, and then ushered the young witch outside. They both locked the small shop.

"Has Madame Pince changed at all towards you, yet?" asked Hermione.

The librarian at Hogwarts, always a stiff sort, had not been completely happy to have an assistant aid her with the cataloging of hundreds of books that had once belonged to Death Eaters. As the days and weeks passed, Echo had noted to her husband one night that Madame Pince was becoming, if possible, more cold to her. Severus had then told her that Madame Pince had disliked him since his days as a student and was more than likely choosing to dislike Echo due to whom she had married.

"I think she's ready to pinkslip me. We're almost finished with the cataloguing, though, and I'm anxious to get this shop open." Echo wrapped a scarf over her head and then she and Hermione walked to the Leaky Cauldron. Hermione would Apparate back to school, and Echo would use the Floo. She could Apparate, but the spinning sensation was starting to nauseate her.

At the dingy pub, the two women made their farewells, and returned to their respective homes.